[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Estocs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: Polish_Estoc (1).jpg (49 KB, 590x83) Image search: [Google]
Polish_Estoc (1).jpg
49 KB, 590x83
How do you stat an estoc?
>>
>>46093062
Eh, just put it in the Swords category.
>>
Aren't those less of a sword and more of a very long stiletto?

Probably the same statistics as a rapier in any systems that aren't exactingly simulationist.
>>
Damage: 75
Durability: 150
Weight: 3.0
Stats needed: Str 10, Dex 12
>>
>>46093120
It's a sword that evolved from the longsword, specialized for piercing. Hand-and-a-half handles, could be used from horseback too.
>>
>>46093120
A rapier can cut though, it's not a fucking needle despite what DnD might have you believe.
>>
>>46093062
Sexily
>>
>>46093107
>Eh, just put it in the Swords category.
The irony is that we modern men care more about the classifications of swords than those who used them. There's a reason why the Oakshot system came about in the 1950s and there's no medieval equivalent. A sword is a sword. Some are long, some are short, some are curvy, some are stabby, some are slashy. That's as far as medieval man cared.
>>
>>46093716
Yes. But it's specialized in thrusting and thus in RAW its damage type is piercing. Just like hammers can also be used to bludgeon but their damage type in the rules is slashing. As for dealing other types of damage, roleplay it and ask your DM.
>>
File: Sword 04.jpg (113 KB, 821x348) Image search: [Google]
Sword 04.jpg
113 KB, 821x348
>>46093716
>A rapier can cut though

As can some estocs, although that may not be the main idea.

https://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7292

(Mostly Peter's comments on page 2.)

Also, the cutting capacity of a rapier is sometimes a bit overlooked by RPG makers...
>>
>>46093830
>hammers
Meant to say axes. Axes deal slashing (even though IRL they can also bash).
>>
>>46093870
Should there be a difference between slashing and hacking?
>>
>>46093798

>Implying nerdfaggotry didn't exist in medieval times

>Implying only modern people get boners over weapons
>>
(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork
>>
>>46093062
by assigning numbers and shit to it
>>
>>46093841
>18th century
The real rapiers were about 2-3 times as thick as this ceremonial piece of garbage.
>>
>>46093953
Medieval autists got into the church and argued over angels on pinheads and shit like that while writing biblical fanfic featuring their favorite saint.
>>
>>46094233
and 3 times as hard for that matter too. I'm pretty sure a real rapier coudl easily bisect a knight in plate armor with a single vertical slash.
>>
File: Giorgio.webm (2 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Giorgio.webm
2 MB, 853x480
>>46094254
>while writing biblical fanfic featuring their favorite saint
Good to see that nothing has changed.
>>
>>46093928
Only as far as armor is concerned, I should think. If you wanted, you could make hacking slightly more focused, as it would only have effect where the blade hits, rather than where the blade might slide to after making contact. Perhaps a bonus against armor with a slight chance of getting stuck or catching in armor, since it might penetrate through but not be able to slide back out as easily as a stab or cut across the armor.
>>
>>46093798
You're oh so wrong. The main reason for existing so many kinds of swords is exactly because they mattered to medieval people.
>>
>>46094407
There's so many kinds of swords because medieval craftsmanship wasn't standardized and was based around individual orders to various blacksmiths' shops, not mass manufacture.
>>
>>46093928
In reality I'd say it's more of a sliding scale (with the endpoint possibly being slicing rather than slashing, than either or, and where you wan tot be on that scale is at least as much a matter of what you can hit with as what kind of weapon you're using.

What of this we want to implement rules-wise and how would depend on what kind of system we want, and what the basic mechanics allows for.
>>
File: Cup hilt overall.jpg (49 KB, 386x579) Image search: [Google]
Cup hilt overall.jpg
49 KB, 386x579
>>46094233
That's a tuck, aka estoc, so I'm not entirely certain what the (wildly varying) thickness of rapier blades has to do with anything.
>>
>>46093062
In 5e, just make it a 2d6 piercing martial two-handed weapon (with heavy, of course.)
>>
>>46093062
No edge? Stat it the same as a rapier. A piercing sword.
>>
>>46093062

Weight: 2
PS requirement: 15
MD requirement 17
Base to hit 45%
Damage 1d10+5
Piercing, weapon type A, Melee range, cost 65 silver pennies, max rank 9.
>>
>>
>>46093062
GURPS has probably done it already.
>>
>>46093062
Two-handed finessable sword. 1d10 piercing damage.

An estoc is essentially a longsword specialized for stabbing.
>>
>>46096200
That doesn't even make sense, there weren't many chinks in europe until recently, why have designated weapon against them?
>>
>>46093986
Is it bad that I recognize that fragment of copypasta?
>>
File: Chink in my armor.jpg (56 KB, 651x600) Image search: [Google]
Chink in my armor.jpg
56 KB, 651x600
>>46096371
>>
>>46093062
see
>>46096007
Unless, in your system, rapiers get a defense bonus from the extra hilt action they got going on, then an estoc is essentially a rapier
>>
>>46093062
It should be a very high dexterity weapon with a very good piercing thrust attack, but requires that dex to pull off to represent the skill needed to thrust into the gaps of armor. Should be decent at cutting to, but not that good compared to a heavier, thicker blade like a longsword.
>>
>>46096371

Why do you think there were so few?

Because they feared the penetrative power of the estoc, and the dedicated men-at-arms who wielded them.
>>
Estoc
Exotic Melee Weapon.
Cost: 50GP
Damage: 2d4 Piercing
Crit: 18-20/x2
Weight: 4 lbs
An estoc is a sword about as long as a bastard sword, but designed exclusively for thrusting attacks. Its “blade” is a steel spike with a triangular, square, or hexagonal cross-section. Like the bastard sword, an estoc requires special training to use it one handed, but it can also be wielded as a two-handed martial weapon.
When you wield an estoc with one hand, treat it as a one-handed weapon; when you wield an estoc with two hands, treat it as a two-handed weapon. If you can use the estoc proficiently with one hand, you can also use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls when wielding an estoc sized for you with one or two hands, even though it isn't a light weapon.
>>
>>46096239

Statistically, it's the same as a Longsword for damage (Thrust+2 impaling, Swing+1 cutting), but with slightly shorter reach and better precision (reduces penalty for an armour bypassing attack by -2).
>>
>>46095847
>>46096317
The thing is, Great Weapon Fighting in 5e plus Sneak Attack can get pretty ridiculous at times.
>>
>>46093120
>>46093162
>>46093107
>used on horseback as well as on foot
>primarly thrusting
>one to two hands
More like the lance category if you ask me
>>
>>46097142
Rogues don't get proficiency tho, only Fighter/Paladin/Ranger
>>
>>46096071

What system is that?
>>
>>46093062
Ass-zooming D&D, since that's what my players insist I run: Longsword that does piercing instead of slashing. Any other answer is dildoes.
>>
>>46098374
finesse?
>>
>>46093062
In what system, faggot?
>>
>>46093716
There were definitely rapiers that couldn't cut.
>>
>>46097932
Lances go in the Polearm category.
>>
>>46099009
No. That's gay and dumb. Estocs are thrusting swords with the weight and bulk of an arming sword.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.