[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the worst portrayal of fa/tg/uys you've seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: 1437699593249.jpg (364 KB, 600x903) Image search: [Google]
1437699593249.jpg
364 KB, 600x903
What's the worst portrayal of fa/tg/uys you've seen in media?
What's the best one?
>>
>>46082531
Worst - Big Bang Theory
I honestly can't think of a good portrayal.
>>
>>46082531
>What's the worst portrayal of fa/tg/uys you've seen in media?

Jack Chick tracts.
>>
>>46082531
I liked the DnD playing ghosts in Kentucky Route Zero.

Does Jumanji count?

Big Bang Theory is bad, but Jack Chick is arguably worse. Arguably depending on whether you'd want people to believe you're an actual satanic wizard instead of whatever that shit in BBT is. Their both about equally far from reality.
>>
>>46082653
No one takes Chick Tracts seriously though. I've met people whose entire view of gamers has been informed by BBT.
>>
>>46082647
Beat me to it.
>>
>>46082679
That's horrifying.
>>
that one webcomic that got posted on /tg, with the fat loser dm who brought his toddler to the game, the fat barbarian bitch, etc. Literally every main character was a That Guy except for the noobie who acted like a real person
>>
>>46082679
>No one takes Chick Tracts seriously though.

Unfortunately they do. There's always a minority of glassy-eyed Michelle Bachmann types ready to lap this shit up.
>>
>>46082766
Ok, no one who wouldn't already hate the hobby because they are a whack-a-doodle that hates everything except sitting in the (correct) church.
>>
>>46082531
I always felt that the writter of that was one of the "I heard that she was really turned off by the game store and she was forced out" guys.

Which is a shame, unbiased parodies are hard to come by.
>>
>>46082766
Michelle Bachmann was a trained parrot.
>>
>>46082531
>Worst
Big Bang Theory.

>Best
The older brother and his friends in "E.T"
>>
>Worst: Big Bang Theory

>Best: That nerd in one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies
>>
>>46086276
idk if this movie is the worst or the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtgoAt7ZTyE
If you guys haven't seen it you should watch zero charisma
>>
>>46088925
That movie made me want to hurl. It's not as cringeworthy as you would think, but it's pretty cringy.
>>
>>46088983
It's cringy yeah, but that's kinda the point though isn't it?
>>
Damn.
Now I'm trying to think of the name of an animated series about "stock" game characters in a Guild or something..

Demtrious and Company?
something like that.
Help.
>>
>>46082531
Zero Charisma is both, depending on how you look at it.
>>
File: completely calm.jpg (9 KB, 300x172) Image search: [Google]
completely calm.jpg
9 KB, 300x172
>worst
The LARP episode of Manhattan Love Story cut me real deep. In all fairness the show was cancelled for shitty ratings before the LARP episode aired, but you can still watch it on Hulu anyway.

A friend of mine got hired as a consultant to the show to make sure that their fake LARP was being portrayed correctly (using props that might actually be used, overseeing costuming, being a general reference for rules, editing the word "hold" out of all the dialogue, etc.) He puts the word out on social media that the show runners are looking for local LARPers who want to work as extras. They were offering about $150 a day all you had to do was show up in your own garb. Get paid to hang out in my gear and swap stories with players from other games in the area? Sign the the fuck up! This is gonna be fun!

It wasn't fun

I basically volunteered to take part in my own ridicule. The male lead spent the whole episode shitting on the players even though his girlfriend is one of them. Most of the extras weren't actual LARPers they were just actors in fucking cardboard armor and $5 Halloween costumes. In one scene I filled in some background space by "sparring" with some old guy who kept going on and on about how he does Shakespeare and was fighting with me using a fucking Nerf sword.

Honest the god there was a scene where the player's MOTHERS were sitting on some bleachers watching them LARP. The male lead makes a "hilarious" joke about how the coffee and hot chocolate they were all drinking was loaded with whiskey because of how ashamed they all were.

I was pretty fucking mad. After I got my check on the last day I told off the director to his face. He tried to give me the old "You need to have respect if you want to work in this business!" schtick and I'm just like "Bitch, this isn't my real job! You have no more power over me!"
>>
>>46089534
To be fair, you're kind of naive if you think being a larper extra on a tv show will even remotely be a good experience.
>>
File: The_Wild_Hunt_VideoCover.jpg (42 KB, 356x498) Image search: [Google]
The_Wild_Hunt_VideoCover.jpg
42 KB, 356x498
>>46082531
>What's the worst portrayal of fa/tg/uys you've seen in media?
Mazes and Monsters

>What's the best one?
Zero Charisma is probably the most accurate. Brutal portrayal of neckbeards though.

My favorite though is definitely The Wild Hunt. Some people say it's needlessly morbid, but it's really a heartbreaking story of two brothers with a broken family. The LARPing thing makes for an interesting vehicle for the story.
>>
The only good portrayal is the unaired episode of Freaks&Geeks with James Franco playing Carlos the Dwarf.
>>
>>46082531
Knights of Badassdom was pretty terrible
>>
>>46089605
I was skeptical at first until my friend who was working as the consultant gave me a synopsis of the episode. It didn't sound too bad.

You're right. I was indeed quite naive.
>>
>Worst
Mazes and Monsters by far

>Best
Honestly, the LARP sections from Role Models always crack me up. It's making fun of it but it's still funny to me.
>>
>>46089704
I wouldn't call it terrible, it had a lot of weak moments but it still entertained.
>>
>>46089634
After reading the Wikipedia synopsis,
>Having lost Evelyn and been humiliated by Erik, Murtagh snaps and ritually cuts off his gamer wrist band. He leads his followers in a vicious assault on the main camp, injuring people and killing Erik. Murtagh flees, witnessing Evelyn commit suicide as he escapes through the woods.

Days later, Bjorn breaks into Murtagh's home and beats him to death.

I sure hope that's not how your larps go
>>
>>46082531

The Eltingville Club is a vicious takedown, but it's pretty accuratsing. Damn if that Aquabats theme song for the failed pilot isn't catchy, though.

>There's nothing wrong with us! There's nothing wrong with us!
>>
>>46092376
I don't know about LARPs but I figured that was standard for FNM
>>
>>46083873
What are they playing in ET?
>>
>>46092988
It was 1982, the were playing D&D.
>>
File: corel122.jpg (41 KB, 1024x495) Image search: [Google]
corel122.jpg
41 KB, 1024x495
>Best
Got to be the first time Community played D&D. Scenes like Hector the Well Endowed and the elf girl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgu_-rR1X8 and when Chang turns in his character sheet were pure gold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_NpFX6OaJg
>>
>>46088925
>Zero Charisma
Oh jesus that movie
>>
>>46093784
>>46089673
These.
I like how these portray /tg/s as "just a way to get together and have fun", nothing weird.
Bonus points for Community making it about "working together and overcoming challenges" over "mental masturbation".
>>
File: Dexter_playing_D&D.png (101 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
Dexter_playing_D&D.png
101 KB, 350x197
>No mention of Dexter's Lab D&D episode for best portrayal
>>
>>46089673
>>46093784
>>46094694
>Not the IT Crowd DnD episode.
Plebs.

>https://vimeo.com/118447652
>>
>>46092988
They were clearly playing D&D, though the movie never says so.

Character sheets, minis. And dice were conspicuous. All the players looked like normal kids sitting around hanging out. They were drinking soda and saying things like "I open the door". You know, behavior you can expect from any normal person. None of that "I, Grazzulius the Mighty do so verily vast my splendorous missiles of arcane power!" bullshit
>>
>>46094694
I guess it depends on what you mean as "best".

If you define best to mean players not acting like speds talking like they're in a Rennaissance Fair then the Dexter's Lab portrayal falls short compared to some of the others listed here. While I would find it hilarious if one of my players showed up with off-brand soda and in-character claimed it was magic elixer, I think most audiences unfamiliar with the D&D scene would see no difference between that and BAZINGA!

If you define best to mean the most clever and amusing examination of real D&D players then the Dexter's Lab episode certainly stands out.
>>
>>46093784

This and Freaks & Geeks honestly.

It's not making fun of the game itself, it's an accurate portrayal of the game. What is funny is the character interaction in the episode.
>>
File: 737_4.jpg (211 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
737_4.jpg
211 KB, 728x409
>>
>>46095423
And old school D&D, honestly.
That hobbit character sheet cracks me the fuck up every time
>>
>>46082531
I wish if somebody ever picks up the EltingVille Club then they at least hire a good writer for the plots and overarching stories.
>>
>>46082732
>Literally every main character was a That Guy except for the noobie who acted like a real person

Sounds like a couple of the groups I've played in. Then I got the starter set for my normie brother in law and had a couple of games with him and his friends, and shit went pretty well.

Why are turbonerds so much worse at D&D?
>>
>>46099590
>Why are turbonerds so much worse at D&D?

Lack of social skills works against you when playing social games.
>>
File: 1456309744665.jpg (76 KB, 652x720) Image search: [Google]
1456309744665.jpg
76 KB, 652x720
>>
Do they actually play D&D in the Big Bang Theory?
>>
>>46082766

Yeah, but most people don't take people who take Chick Tracts seriously seriously.

The BBT is mainstream.
>>
>>46097255
this! Bender playing D&D is hilarious

also it's weird so many portrayals of tabletop gaming and larping focus entirely on the bad side of it.
>>
>>46101806
For a given value of "play"
>>
>>46102055
You know its almost like TTRPGS and larps attract autists and social retards.
>>
>>46101806

Yes. The boys decide one day that they haven't played DND in a really long time and think it would be fun. They pick a Friday night a week or so in advance. All of their girlfriends suddenly get really mad at them for wanting to spend time with each other and not with them so they parade in around in sexy clubbing outfits and say "Ohhhh look at us! We're going to the club to do sexy club things while you stay here and do you're dumb nerd shit!" Raj and Howard get boners and leave while everyone else is rolling up their characters.

Sheldon is the dungeon master and Leonard is now the only player. The game is Christmas themed and involves a village of Santa's elves being killed and the (now lone) hero has to explore a dungeon to find out why. The game was pretty good until it turns out that Sheldon wrote the game as a big fuck you to Santa because one time he didn't get a present he wanted as a kid and has had a grudge against Santa ever since. At the end of the episode Santa visits Sheldon and they talk about it. Maybe it was a dream? It's not clear.
>>
>>46102055
>It's weird so many portrayals of tabletop gaming and larping focus entirely on the bad side of it.

That's where the drama is most accessible, unfortunately.
>>
>>46102259
Wow, BBT being stupid and condescending? I've never seen that before
>>
>>46082531
>worst
Mazes & Monsters, Jack Chick

>best
Honestly? The Gamers 1 & 2. Not entirely flattering, but accurate.
>>
>>46101806

They "play" it the same way they play video games.

By shouting a bunch of nonsense lingo no one who's ever actually touched an RPG would ever use.
>>
>>46102259
I've never understood that pseudo-abusive relationship between Sheldon and Leonard. Any sane person would have at very least moved out years ago, betageek or not.
>>
>>46104028

But it's a comedy.
>>
>>46104028
I don't get it either. My fiance loves that show, though, so I've seen a a few dozen episodes.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.