[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Godly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 19
File: Holy Bible.gif (302 KB, 1143x949) Image search: [Google]
Holy Bible.gif
302 KB, 1143x949
You're now tasked to make the Holy Bible into a table top game. What do?
>>
>>46075185
Don't touch the New Testament, because that will literally only end in disaster, and then make a game where the party plays as Old Testament heroes doing heroic things.
>>
File: bible-Sunlight.jpg (95 KB, 1600x965) Image search: [Google]
bible-Sunlight.jpg
95 KB, 1600x965
Something along the lines of Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit. They're bad examples, but I think you get the idea: the players are tasked with studying the Holy Word of God, and then get points for answering questions correctly about it. Prizes given out according to people's final scores, including gift cards for the local Christian book store, recipes for healthy products, locally-produced works of art, subscriptions to Christian magazines, and tickets to the annual church group camping trip. After the game, there is an open discussion on what what we've learned and the questions we have about the Bible, and these will form the basis for next week's game session, as written by the game master/moderator. The role of moderator rotates, and the prizes are sourced from donations from members of the group, or from other church members who want to contribute to this event.
>>
It would probably be along the lines of a low fantasy or magical realism thing, wouldn't it? One thing I would do for the setting is make things focused on praying as well as divine integrity, which means sinful acts would potentially hurt the amount of power you could get from praying.

Praying itself is somewhat toned down as you obviously cannot turn to God to move mountains or to give you strength to do so, so you pray to give things such as buffs or temporary abilities that fit within the bible like parting water. Sinful acts deplete the power you get until you ask for forgiveness at specific alters, and even then it would take a day doe the sinful act to be forgiven. If too many sinful acts are committed then prayers are effectively useless.
>>
>>46075185
There's already a biblical D20 game called Testament. So... /thread.
>>
>>46075185
The players are a new set of prophets trying to convince Israel to return YHWH's calls (again).
>>
Angels fighting demons, demons fighting angels.
With the power of god you wield magic or weapons of divine nature yet still as mortals, fighting badguys, takeing part in holy events.
And so on..
>>
>>46075185
Players are prophets and followers that fight heathens and set people free. All the while demons tempt the players into easy solutions
>>
I dunno. I don't think it's possible to read the book and determine a clear, logical, and consistent set of rules.
>>
There was a CCG back in the 90's that had decent artwork and decent gameplay.
>>
I give this thread 50 replies until it degenerates into a religious argument.
>>
>>46075273
Your post gave me a boner. I am going to go masturbate because of you.
>>
>>46075860
>I give this thread 50 replies until it degenerates into a religious argument.
Less if any Catholics see the thread, amirite
>>
>>46075328
>All the while demons tempt the players into easy solutions

I like this idea. This ought to be used more. Too often demon temptation is like, "Hey, you wanna bone? I'll suck out your soul, but at least you'll be laid."
That tempts the character, not the player. Temptations need to be really enticing.
>>
Samson the RPG: You get XP for killing Philistines, but only if you do it with the jawbone of an ass.
>>
>>46075185
If you're talking ttrpg, I'd go with FATE
maybe rework it a bit and call it FAITH
>>
File: Testament.jpg (122 KB, 450x584) Image search: [Google]
Testament.jpg
122 KB, 450x584
>>46075295
This
>>
File: They're not wrong.jpg (164 KB, 500x588) Image search: [Google]
They're not wrong.jpg
164 KB, 500x588
>>46075185

The Bible is already a game. Please speak with the leading player, Pope Francis, for more information on how you too can ruse countless people out of their money based on blatantly exaggerated tribal stories, grotesquely outdated morals, combined with their expansion, the New Testament, I.E., the only part of the Bible anyone talks about anymore (because the rest of it was insane).
>>
Samson is pretty much just a tabletop murderhobo in a nutshell.
>>
>>46075185
I guess I read it. Don't know half the shit that's in those covers. I also try to track down some apocrypha and read that too.
>>
>>46076252
*tips fedora*
>>
>>46075860
Why stop there? I give it only a few more posts till the /pol/acks start Redpilling the normies.
>>
File: GODS.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
GODS.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1800
>>
>>46075185
I pulp it and use the paper to print a copy of Pathfinder. I will be forever known as history's greatest monster.
>>
File: Christian Argument.jpg (99 KB, 826x463) Image search: [Google]
Christian Argument.jpg
99 KB, 826x463
>>46076355
>everything you said is absolutely true and I have no real response so "tips fedora"
>>
>>46075860
Well, it has been scientifically proven that Humans are hardwired to believe and worship God. So basically saying, if you're an Atheist then you're not truly human.
>>
>>46076394
/pol/fags are too busy fighting with /b/ about who is beter trump or bernie, i think we are safe at least till the elections.
>>
>>46076517
agnostic here, why do atheist think their idea is proven by science? You cant prove or disprove god with the scientific method, and that same way godfags have to give proof of there being a god, atheistfags have to give proof of their not being one, you are both coming out with a thesis with no proof.
>>
>>46076682
>atheistfags have to give proof of their not being one

That's where you're wrong.

Conclusively proving a negative is impossible most of the time, and one of the times it is impossible is when you demand proof that there is no such thing as "entity". For example, prove there are no unicorns. You cannot. There is no evidence of real unicorns, sure, but why all the legends? There's a lot of detail, so why the fuss? Unless every inch of Earth was conclusively scoured and cataloged, you can't prove that there isn't Unicorns hidden in there somewhere.

That's why it falls on positive assertions to provide proof. Such as "there is a God and it has the following traits" or "there are unicorns". Which of course, there is no proof.
>>
>>46076814
Not really, we can prove that to our knowledge there is no unicorns, as they have never been observed, there are people who have claimed to have "contact" with god and miricle like events that science can not explaine (in my opinnion the corect term is "science can not explain YET" but than againe im not religous). Plus Jesus, Mohhamad and Buddha were all reall people, we just dont know if their students were high as fuck or their storys really happened.
>>
>>46075185
realistic sword and sandals campaign based on the Canaanites
>>
>>46076888

Don't get caught up on unicorns. There are people who comb forests for Bigfoot, absolutely believing he is real.

He isn't, and we all know that (right?), but you can't PROVE he isn't just by saying "well where is he then." That's not proof. To prove something requires evidence of the truth of the matter. And the only evidence of the truth of "no bigfoot" would be that "there is no bigfoot", which requires an impossible task to show. That's why proving negatives is impossible, usually.

That some people allegedly had contact with god and spoke for him, according to ancient texts, is no different from the legend of the unicorn and the people who retold said legend. The people aren't fake, the legend isn't fake in that the legend exists and people recount it, but the alleged animal isn't real.
>>
File: 2015_science_infographic_final.jpg (643 KB, 800x3517) Image search: [Google]
2015_science_infographic_final.jpg
643 KB, 800x3517
>>46077019
but dosen't scientific progress in and of itself sort of fly in the face of that way of thinking? After all until the proper discovery is made all proof "proves" that there's no cure for (insert disease of choice here) as said cure does not yet exist, or at least hasn't been discovered.
>>
>>46075185
Roll a d10, on a 9 or 10, you've violated some obscure rule and God punishes you and you family.
>>
What about a worker placement game based around monks transcribing bibles and surviving Viking raids?
>>
>>46076558
>it's been scientifically proven
By whom?
>Humans are hardwired to believe and worship God
Gonna need a source on that, sounds like the usual creationist propa-
>if you're an Athiest then you aren't truly human
-ganda. Ah, well, that settles which side of the fence you sit on. Normally, I'd go on a rant about not needing an invisible sky-man to tell me right from wrong, but why bother, honestly? You're either an idiot who won't listen, or you're a troll hoping to laugh at indignant atheists.
>>
>>46077781
He is mixing up two different studies to ill effect.

The first being that the belief in punitive gods or goddesses was important to the development of society as a whole and allowed for better relationships to be formed above a tribal level, and the second, one that isn't entirely agreed on is that the concept of faith (in anything) is hardwired, which is why we have the ability to believe strongly in things that aren't givens. I doubt he read either, and neither is really that widely accepted..

> I'd go on a rant about not needing an invisible sky-man to tell me right from wrong

You lost that one, western morals are Judeo-Christian morals. Been that way since the middle ages. The head can't separate itself from the torso and so on.
>>
File: tips crown.jpg (38 KB, 247x245) Image search: [Google]
tips crown.jpg
38 KB, 247x245
>>46075185
The bible is kind of a clusterfuck of genre, style, themes and setting. I really don't think it could be adapted into a coherent game (or setting for that matter).
It isn't interested in being a good setting or story, that isn't its purpose.
What might work is adapting a certain section of the bible that has some sort of commonality and playing as normal people in the setting who are jewish for old testemate books and 'christian' for new testament ones. The players goal is to follow the various ethical and practical commandments of their faith to the greatest extent possible while working towards a greater, final, objective.
So the campaign might be 'how do we survive this civil war without failing in our religious duties' or somthing similar.
>>46076558
>if you're an Atheist then you're not truly human
When you are enlightened by your own intellect you become super-human.
>>
>>46078001
>The bible is kind of a clusterfuck of genre, style, themes and setting.
Like forgotten realms isn't?
>>
File: 1455053848912.png (1 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1455053848912.png
1 MB, 1500x1500
Christfag here.
You can't use science to prove or disprove the supernatural.
Science is all about observing the world around us and developing theories about visible phenomena.
>You can prove gravity exists, because we can observe it.
>You can prove molecules exist because they have observable properties
>You cannot prove God doesn't because He is not observable
>Likewise you cannot prove he exists either because he is not observable.
It's Faith. Faith and Fact are opposites. Faith cannot be proven or disproven.
>>
>>46078096
>Faith and Fact are opposites. Faith cannot be proven or disproven.

You do realize we have had a thousand fucking theologians from Agustine to Aquinas to Kierkegaard all arguing this shit? Hell, Galileo was positive that by finding the truth of how the world worked, we would be closer and closer to God, and don't get me started on Descartes.

>>46078065
Well it's not meant to be a book for reading, the most unified part of the bible is the New Testament. The Old Testament is part history, part lawbook, part legend, part propaganda, and part perceived holy truths all rolled into one.
>>
>>46075185
I really like the idea of a modern day setting set during the events thought to transpire during the book of revelations.

enemies include general bandits, militant preachers, demons, and angels.
>>
>>46075273
That's just a youth group.

That's the joke, right?
>>
>>46078096
So, what separates Imagination from Faith then?
>>
>>46078170
those are Catholics, protestant believe the way >>46078096 believe.
Catholicfag represent
>>
File: 1420823947691.jpg (123 KB, 572x303) Image search: [Google]
1420823947691.jpg
123 KB, 572x303
>>46078065
If forgotten realms was spread out over time as well as space then yes.
Although you do make me realize I may have overestimated how important setting coherence is.
>>
>>46076814
>There is no evidence of real unicorns, sure, but why all the legends?

Rhinos.
>>
>>46078096
>You can't use science to prove or disprove the supernatural.

sure i can, you're just confused about on whom the burden of proof rests.

it's not MY job to prove that something doesn't exist.

it's YOUR job to prove that it does.

if you CAN'T, then you have proven nothing. if you want to just take it on faith, that's fine, but faith alone is not evidence.

now go find me that seven-headed dragon you guys keep threatening us all with.
>>
>>46078240
I know. I'm one of you.

I'm glad we got our shit together when it comes to most science.
>>
>>46077671
>What about a worker placement game based around monks transcribing bibles and surviving Viking raids?
This exists, you all play medieval monks who are playing a clandestine RPG about knights and wizards whenever the head abbot isn't watching. I can't remember the name right now, but I can look it up later today.
>>
File: 356199.png (30 KB, 207x200) Image search: [Google]
356199.png
30 KB, 207x200
>>46076682
science doesn't prove that there isn't a god but with what we know from science one can reason that it is more likely that there isnt one than that there is
>>
>>46078328
Exactly.
With the supernatural, there are no constants.
It's not about 100% no or yes, it's about a likelihood.
>>
>>46078366
>With the supernatural, there are no constants.
>It's not about 100% no or yes, it's about a likelihood.

EXACTLY, thank you anon. i tell people ALL THE TIME about how drug-dealing midget niggers from pluto are stealing the jizz-soaked kleenexes out of my garbage in order to clone a race of perfect aryan supermen, but they just think i'm crazy.

i tell them the same thing, that with supernatural drug dealing niggers, THERE ARE NO CONSTANTS. it's not about 100% no or yes, it's about a likelihood. and if that likelihood is ANY POSITIVE REAL NUMBER above 0%, then that means it's a science fact.

yours in the struggle brother. i got your back if you got mine
>>
File: 1b8.png (182 KB, 404x266) Image search: [Google]
1b8.png
182 KB, 404x266
>>46078096
Burden of proof is on the proposer.

See: "I believe unicorns exist because you can't prove they don't."
>>
File: 005d1c916203b8d436b6b097ffb2f04a.jpg (471 KB, 1000x1415) Image search: [Google]
005d1c916203b8d436b6b097ffb2f04a.jpg
471 KB, 1000x1415
>>46078568
MY ANIME WAIFU EXISTS BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PROVE SHE DOESN'T.

CHECKMATE ATHEISTS.
>>
>>46078588
YOUR ANIME WAIFU DOESN'T EXIST ON GROUNDS OF YOUR TASTE BEING A FUCKING ATROCITY

CROWN ME, MOTHAFUCKA
>>
>>46078554
>>46078568
People like this are why metaphysics are dying, and they're proud of it too.
>>
File: Kuma shock!.png (87 KB, 458x550) Image search: [Google]
Kuma shock!.png
87 KB, 458x550
Being bald gives you a +3 to Bear Lore.
Mentioning the baldness is an instant chance of summoning a number (between 3 and 8) of bears (80% Grizzlies, 15% Polar, 5% Dire) and using them to KUMA SHOCK whoever mentioned the baldness.
>>
>>46078637
I blame Epicurous, but that's me.
>>
>>46078096

it also dosn't help the argument that what counts as proof to one side dosn't count to the other.

To the Christfag someone praying and then their prayer being answered in whatever way shape or form befits the prayer is proof that supports the existance of God, whereas to the Atheistfag it's mere conicidence and is to be discarded.

Conversely to the Atheistfag the lack of measureable concrete physical evidence is proof that there is no God, whereas to th Christfag that's irrelevant becasue there isn't /supposed/ to be measureable concrete physical evidence for faith.

Basicaly the whole argument is pointless becasue both sides' respective sources of evidence are invalid to the other leading to both in essance just shouting "I'm right becasue I said so"
>>
>>46075185
If you don't go by the proselytized version of biblical canon where god is viewed as infallible, it would actually be interesting, as the god depicted in the bible is actually far from perfect and develops over time.

The entire story would revolve around either working for, passively against or actively trying to dethrone a fickle god; almost to the point where I would expect the dungeon master to be playing as god. The humans in biblical canon generally try to prevent god from killing as many people as possible (at least in genesis). God would likely be aligned as lawful evil as he endorses and does a lot of terrible things under his own laws.

You could probably start the story immediately after the adam and eve story and have them meet god in some way and then go through some of the typical biblical stories; I really again need to emphasize that in order for this game to succeed, you would have to depict god as someone who can be wrong both rationally and morally and have the party go against him if they consider their characters morally good.

The end of the old testament canonically (atleast where god is involved) ends with god indirectly admitting that he was wrong about how he treated humans and compensates Job based on this; god never appears after this point either so perhaps one of the endings (the best ending perhaps) be that gods character arc is completed and he leaves humanity alone. The other two endings would be either the party blindly listening to god and god continuing to mistreat humans or the party overthrowing god and allowing for humans to become gods.
>>
>>46078776
Are YOU right, though?
>>
>>46076888
>Jesus
>Real
No outside sources mention him. Several jewish preachers are mentioned tho. So it's likely that the figure "Jesus" was a mix of them.
>>
>>46077901
I meant more in the sense of "I don't need 'If you're an asshole, you'll suffer horrible unending torture forever' to motivate me not to be an asshole", but you make a valid point.
>>
>>46078816
If you ignore the part where there are records of his existence from the Romans then sure.
>>
>>46075185
Alternate future 1920s explorers using a time machine to document the events described in the bible.
Soon they're to find out that the bible isn't entirely accurate, but the overeager director meddles with events to get a good shot, changing the timeline. In their attempt to fix things, the crew only creates more and more realities and the game is about jumping through the timelines and generally dicking around.

Yeah, I'm not taking this very seriously.
>>
>>46075185
>ctrl+f "dogs in the vineyard"
>zero hits
Oh come on, you faggots.
>>
File: M Edge.jpg (26 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
M Edge.jpg
26 KB, 367x500
>This whole thread
Both sides need to chill
>>46078987
Tell me more, Anon. I like the tile already.
>>
>>46078626
Do you have factual evidence to prove that his taste in waifu is an atrocity?
>>
File: austin-powers.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
austin-powers.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>46078812
I'd say this thread is a good source of proof that I am, but of course that might very well be an invalid source of evidence for you.

Which ironicaly might actualy serve to prove my hypothesis in and of itself, but in turn that also might be invalid as it in effect it turns the point into a sort of self fulfilling prophecy as the act of disagreeing with the idea would in effect prove it, which in turn leads to an endless cycle of proof and dismissal.

SO inlight of that I'm just gona go with; Beats me, I'm just some asshole on 4chan. Fuck if I know.
>>
File: Dogs in the Vineyard.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dogs in the Vineyard.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46079142
>Tell me more, Anon.
Have a read. It's basically a game about a bunch of mormons going on adventures and praising God. It's also fun_____.
>>
>>46079142
Or the dude is really tiny or that is not a katana at all.
7 tips out of 10.
>>
>>46080519
I think it's one of those two-handers. Odachi.
>>
>>46079143

He posted it in his initial claim.
>>
>>46075644
>Implying most systems have clear, logical rules
>>
File: Rage.png (19 KB, 300x309) Image search: [Google]
Rage.png
19 KB, 300x309
FUCK OFF EUPHORICS

Can't we have discussion about the bible from a literary and cultural standpoint without you fuckers shitting up the thread?
>>
Pick up the book and beat the fuck out of who ever gave this task. Because it will end fucking badly anyway.
>>
>>46075860
>>46076558
Oh hey look, it happened.
>>
>>46076682
Also agnostic, the closest that I've heard to an honest answer from both sides I can get behind was an atheist going "I don't believe in god because science," and a Catholic going "I believe in science, I just believe that God made it so," and the atheist going "I can't prove you wrong, and you admit to blind faith. So you can't really prove yourself right. Let's agree to disagree." followed by the Catholic going "pretty much, yeah. Nice talk. What's for dinner?"
>>
>>46078222
Technically speaking, a largely-held mutual belief; dogma, typically paired with ritualistic qualities; finally a deep-down acceptance that's difficult to explain to someone who doesn't experience it.

I would honestly say that it's similar to the feeling of assuredness, the internal sense of raw, stone-hard truth that you have in your own feelings on God or gods not being real--at least, based on what I can infer from your question and its bait-like condescending nature.

Frankly speaking, I think you know what separates Imagination from Faith. But 8/10, made me reply.
>>
>>46075185
Do some stuff with the angels. That stuff kicks ass.
>>
>>46078096
In that case what makes your view that god exists somehow the -right- answer when there's no way to prove it?

Besides, supposed that God indeed exists, then by the same line of thinking other gods should exist as well. What makes believing in God somehow more "legit" then believing in say, Zeus?
Isn't it rather arrogant to say "Our god is the only god, screw the other pantheons"?
>>
Everyone talking about supernatural and no one giving any thought to the fact that God could be a being that at least lives in the 7-th dimension, which as how dimensional theory was taught to me, includes every possible occurrence that could have every possibly happened in this universe using the set of laws that the universe is based on. Which is how God could be thought of as "all-knowing."
>>
>>46086598
I just realized that after reading over my post I used the word 'fact' in an argument about religion. I misspoke, ignore that word if you want to make any comments about what I said.
>>
>>46075295
Don't thread yourself.
>>
>>46078816
>Who is Flavius Josephe
>Who is Tacotus
>What is the majority of historical opinion on said subject
Are you stupid or just a troll?
>>
>>46075185
I almost did this for a project a few semesters ago. My plan was to use Runequest as the base system, and come up with an Old Testament splatbook to go with it. I was considering Fate as well.
>>
>>46078170
>Well it's not meant to be a book for reading, the most unified part of the bible is the New Testament. The Old Testament is part history, part lawbook, part legend, part propaganda, and part perceived holy truths all rolled into one.

Also dudes being set on fire, or dying from touching the Ark.
>>
>>46086388
Holy fuck the Catholic is this situation is generally how i respond to people
>>
>>46076682

Because science is mans way of making sense of the world through evidence, discovery, understanding, and theorizing. There has been no evidence to support the claim of mythological beings, not for lack of trying.

Mythology is mans much earlier and certainly much more colorful attempt at making sense of the world through his imagination. To the believers of such things, the evidence is all around them, but none of it is physical.

One of them works by applying worldly and universal concepts onto humans and the world around them.

The other works by applying human concepts on the universe and the world around them.

When someone questions one of these, the response is "Yes it works that way, I can prove it works that way, I can show you how it works that way, and if you want to deny it, you're wrong.".

When someone questions the other, the response is "Yes it works that way, don't talk back to your parents." or "Yes it works that way, you just got to believe.".

I will leave it to you do decide which one might be a more reliable source for information.

Things to consider:

>Humans have been lying, tricking, and bullshitting each other since deception was invented as a concept.

>This has shaped human culture since its beginnings, and is still around, and no less prominent, as of today.

>Mankind is the only species on the planet with the concept of fiction. Coincidentally, they are also the only species on the planet which has "found god".
>>
>>46087401
How do you mentally deal with the fact that you know the only reason you've been brought to your belief is because specific people told you about it at specific times during your life?

Or the fact that there are hundreds if not thousands of other similarly coherent belief systems out there all over the world being taught to people in the same ways and with equally zero evidence?

Do you ever feel a deep and horrifying existential terror, that the only reason you believe what you believe is because humans are impressionable and biased, and your religion of choice was just arbitrarily the one to make that impression for no deeper reason than sheer happenstance?

... Because I do.
>>
Set it pre-Flood where Giants and Angels and shit are walking the Earth and there's people who can live for hundreds of years. Lots of wacky stuff you could throw at the players.
>>
>>46088268
Everything you wrote in your post could apply to Christians, atheists and Buddhists equally. Or of any kind of belief, religious or otherwise.

It's not enough to point out that people use faulty reasoning sometimes, you actually need to produce arguments.
>>
>>46088099
God I knew this thread was going to be shit the moment I saw it and here we are.

Mythology isn't nearly so mundane that it was only ever used to explain the rising of the sun or whatever. It's about existential crises.

>I will leave it to you do decide which one might be a more reliable source for information.

Non-overlapping magesteria anon. Science can't be applied to metaphysics. Neuroscientists might inquire as to why we bother with such things but there's no way to actually answer these questions except by faith.

If you want to be a logical positivist about it then say that there's no point in asking such questions but don't make science into a totem, like fedora tippers do.
>>
>>46075256
We tried this in 1979 at Heritage USA. It didn't work.
>>
>>46088573
But I've chosen one belief over the others on the assumption that it's true and they aren't.
That's the fundamental crisis of it.
>>
>>46075256
It's not really possible to be "good" in the typical sense of the word when the entire religion is built around the idea that the one true God has simply chosen some tribes which are now inherently "good and just" and the destruction of all other tribes and taking their shit is completely OK because actions mandated by God are automatically determined to be good regardless of how brutal, cruel, and unprovoked those actions may seem.

Plus, within said chosen tribes, the way to be among the best and most righteous is to ideally memorize and follow by rote hundreds and hundreds of specific rules and regulations that govern practically all aspects of life.

It just doesn't work out. Even if you can deal with the ethical issues and the fact that all other humans are damned/worthless, you're still left having to do lookups constantly to find out if you're following The Law or not. And The Law is fucking fickle, man.
>>
>>46088699
There is literally no reason to believe anything strictly metaphysical exists at all.

Metaphysics have been used as a "hack" to explain a lot of difficult ideas that have gotten into people's heads, but so have changelings and fairies (infant death and behavioral changes), black cats crossing roads (apparent streaks of 'bad luck') and various other bullshit.

If you completely take it out of philosophy, even, you're still left with the same fundamentally unanswered questions. It's just that instead of going "We can't really understand what consciousness is, but it's probably some kind of magic related to souls and God" we have to go "We don't really know, but one day we may perhaps find out."

Metaphysics requires a leap of faith, and a leap of faith is philosophical suicide - it is simply required if you wish to believe in a higher power. (I'm paraphrasing Kierkegaard here, who, by the way, was Christian as fuck but also a boss philosopher.)
>>
>>46088844
If that really bothers you, than don't assume it's correct. Try to find the most reasonable belief. And you don't need to prove a certain belief with certainty either, it is sufficient if you can show that some belief is just superior/better substantiated than the alternatives.
>>
>>46088891
At no point in the Bible are the Hebrews made out to be inherently good or just.

They are selected out because they are supposed to enter a special relationship with God (chosen people) and live like a righteous nation of priests. Most of the old testament chronicles the routine moral and religious failures (and occasional successes) of the Hebrews.
>>
>>46076075
fucking this.
>>
>>46076682
Because we're not retards and we comprehend what words such as "atheist" and "agnostic" mean.
>>
>>46076682
"Atheist" doesn't necessarily mean that you're sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no such thing as anything supernatural.

But it does tend to means you've thought about it and come to the conclusion that it's just as likely as fairies living in your hedges, or dreams about the future, or other superstitions.
The logic goes something like; there's an infinite amount of just as likely things that human beings could possibly think up, and there's no reason to treat such ideas like they're real if there's no evidence for them.

In a sense, believers are atheists toward all other beliefs than the one(s) they profess to.
>>
>>46089379
>In a sense, believers are atheists toward all other beliefs than the one(s) they profess to.

...no. They are non-believers for those beliefs. Not Atheists. Atheists have a disbelief (Certain or uncertain) towards all.
>>
>>46089408
Being a certain or uncertain disbeliever or a non-believer is functionally identical.
>>
>>46089482

You can't however be an Atheist towards ONE thing. You can be a non-believer to specific things. Atheist is general though.
>>
>>46075185
Old Testament has tons of potential for table top games
>>
>>46089513
Yeah basically. What I was pointing out was the fact that they had the same function in the framework we were discussing.
I wasn't attempting to get caught up on the semantic properties of the different words in other contexts.
>>
>>46089587

Ah, right. My bad.

I was being pedantic about terminology.
>>
>>46089379
I don't think that you appreciate the semantic distance between theism and atheism. Choosing an exclusive monotheistic faith necessitates rejecting certain other religious beliefs necessarily. It by no means makes one a 5/6 atheist. It's comparably silly to saying that atheism is a religion.
>>
>>46089651
Sorry, I posted this
Bedfore I read theresponse here>>46089587
>>
File: Exodus as a campaign.png (123 KB, 1030x2094) Image search: [Google]
Exodus as a campaign.png
123 KB, 1030x2094
>>46075185
I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet.
>>
>>46078771
Ever read Lucretius? Roman Epicurean that could really lay down the poetry. I highly recommend him to my fellow fedoras.
>>
>>46090228
>proceed to fuck up everything from there to the Holy Land
>>
>>46079369
Patrician taste anon. I've always wanted to run a game with my gaming group, but they're too stuck on Pathfinder and D&D.

>>46085075
What would you like to talk about anon?

>>46086388
Agnosticism is basically skepticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNCgGaeWwzw

>>46086480
I'd love to play a game with cool angels. Pretty humanoids with wings. Not Ezekial angels. I'm so sick of "muh based eldrith lovecraft angels".

>>46086598
God as a state of mind has been done before. Lots of times.

>>46087280
Don't forget that time a guy had to sacrifice his daughter to Yahweh.

To be honest I'd love a game where you play as a mid-east city-state tribal god protecting his people and getting in fights with the other gods. A lot of Baels, but in the end there can be only one who people will just called God. It'll be like deity highlander. I wouldn't even mind a Quest like that.
>>
>>46091811
>like Highlander, but gods instead
I considered trying to run a game like this. But instead of playing the gods themselves, you were playing their champions.

The gods weren't allowed to directly involve themselves through avatars and whatnot because of their own arbitrary rules, so they gained power through followers and you the players were their greatest instruments. You had power granted directly through them, and you were nigh unkillable by anything but either A) overwhelming firepower, or B) another champion.

Which god will become God?
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.