[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw there's like 5 dmpcs travelling with our party This
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: 1361798276141.png (665 KB, 900x822) Image search: [Google]
1361798276141.png
665 KB, 900x822
>tfw there's like 5 dmpcs travelling with our party
This is boring. :/
>>
File: 93MATWz.png (76 KB, 297x333) Image search: [Google]
93MATWz.png
76 KB, 297x333
>>46074630
>5 dmpcs
I have a friend who only has a dmpc because the rest of the party is borderline chaotic stupid and he's the balance so they don't kill themselves.. Why the hell are there five in their game.
>>
>>46074725
Three of them are Changelings to help take the party into the hedge, one's a detective that is helping us find someone and one's a Mage that's to help with the macguffin.
The Mage is pretty useless, the whole party is getting dicked with those Oath things Changelings make but she's not using her 5 dots of Fate to actually do anything.
>>
File: tfw.png (232 KB, 323x315) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
232 KB, 323x315
>>46074630
>tfw there's 5 dmpcs travelling with my party
>tfw it's a single player campaign
>tfw it's an ERP
>>
>>46074785
>Three of them are Changelings to help take the party into the hedge, one's a detective that is helping us find someone and one's a Mage that's to help with the macguffin.
Those are NPCs, dummy.
>>
>>46074785
Sounds like you guys are just taking on a shitload of NPCs on an adventure
>>
>>46074923
What this guy said.
They're not really DMPCs unless if they feel like a character the DM would want to make while playing as a player. If a non-player-character has a very specific role, isn't depicted as being cool and tries not to take the player's spot-light then the non-player-character is just an NPC who travels with you alot, not a DMPC.
>>
File: 1421377239662.jpg (58 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
1421377239662.jpg
58 KB, 298x298
>play in a sci-fi mech campaign
>make a specialized character who does infantry combat pretty well and mech combat decently
>GM adds in DMPC he thinks is cool
>does literally the same I do, but better
>whatever disregard and don't say anything
>my character starts to fall in love with a female NPC
>make it really apparent to the GM that this is what is happening
>mid-mission his DMPC cucks my character and sleeps with the NPC
>gets surprised when my character stops trying to romance NPC from then on
>even more surprised when I tell him I'm not liking his DMPC because it does my job but better
>tells me but he's having fun playing his DMPC
>I dropped out for the remainder of the campaign
>>
You have not hit the dmpc slog yet.

Last game of our old dm was what we found out was a book he was planning on writing.

At campaign start, we had 5 with us that became 7. He would then have arguments with himself as he role played their interactions between one another. He would have them blast us with contempt when we tried to interrupt or chime in . One time we left them and we spent 4 session hours traveling in the woods before we ended up right back in the camp with them because that is where he wanted us at the moment.

You have never had all saves auto fail or no results matter because the dmpcs wanted to use a spell or ability on us. Or the encounters scaled to level 40 characters and we were on for the ride at 10th level.
>>
>>46074630
Be prepared for some deaths
>>
>>46074860
>Tfw I am actually doing that
>>
The only DMPCs I've ever run are former PCs when the previous DMs of two games had to drop out for RL and I took over to keep things running. Even then both of my DMPCs switched to more supportive roles.

And then one game with a lot of "not quite PC level but still pretty strong"NPCs the party was gathering to fight an army. At one point RL dragged off all but teo players. It was boring to run NPC Theater for those sessions.
>>
>>46075688
Y tho? Everyone can sit back and let the npcs do the fighting.
>>
>>46074630

ORGY TIME!
>>
>>46076578
NPC deaths, anon.
>>
>>46075344
this
>>
>>46076578
I know this is strange, but some people like to actually do things in the game they're playing in.
>>
One game I was in had it range from 1 to...8+? Not all of them combatants, but they were prominent to the point of bumming around our base
>>
If I have a DM pc, they're only there for the narrative reasons. I never give them turns in combat.
>>
>>46075649
Why the hell would anyone keep playing in that game?

Tell the DM to go fuck himself and come back after his shitty novel has bombed and he's gotten over himself.
>>
Anyone have stories where your party worked together to corner and kill an annoying DMPC?
>>
>>46075344
Nigga, they can be cool as hell, the only thing that matters is the not trying to steal the spotlight from the PCs part.

I know I don't want no lame fucks traveling with me, PC or NPC.
>>
>>46077666
>dat pic
I remember somebody making a great filename for it.
>>
>>46079910
We, or I and another player, quit not long after session three when we stopped buying the "it's going to get better, I swear" from the dm and 3 other players.
>>
DMPCs are the worst. Even one is terrible.

Like holy shit we get it, you're a foreverGM, that's the life you chose to don't try to masquerade as one of the players. And if you're such a shitty GM that you have to shepard your players like they're blind lemmings then your game is so shitty that you shouldn't even be running it.
>>
>>46074725
When my group first tried 4E the DM made a Warforged Warlord DMPC because nobody wanted to make a healer/Controller. I joined after this and asked if they wanted me to make a healer but everyone was happy with Pimpenstein the robot pimp. Later we learned how to actually play the game. And still later we switched to a game that is fun past the first couple levels.
>>
Easiest solution to the DMPC problem:
Let players control them in battle. Like units in a turn-based strategy game. Even if they are a complete DM self-insert, if a player is controlling them, they're going to register them as 'one of theirs'.
>>
>>46084943
You're treating a symptom there.
>>
>>46077692
And nothing of value was lost.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.