[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Dragon Campaign No, not a "Dungeons and Dragons Campaign",
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: dracohistoria.jpg (398 KB, 870x490) Image search: [Google]
dracohistoria.jpg
398 KB, 870x490
>Dragon Campaign
No, not a "Dungeons and Dragons Campaign", I said we're playing a "Dragon Campaign", as in "You are all playing dragons".

Has anyone you know ever done this? -- Played an adventure game using a party of dragons as the protagonists?

Of course it would be "different", but that may be the thing I need to break out of my RPG doldrums. I was thinking of running a game heavy in political intrigue and setting the game in Golarion, with Daralathyxl as their sovereign.
>>
File: 4e_red_dragon.jpg (119 KB, 991x644) Image search: [Google]
4e_red_dragon.jpg
119 KB, 991x644
Parentage will be important, of course. The dragon you select will mean you are part of a certain "family" which of course has a certain relationship with all the other families. You're born into your family's intrigues, honors, boons and debts.
>>
>>46067017
Are you planning on doing it in Pathfinder?
I love D&D fluff for dragons and dragon times, I'm tolerant of PF fluff, but the system is awful, especially for monster PCs.
Play in something like FATE, which is easily customizable, or Fantasycraft, which at least allows dragons (drakes) by default. PF will just be tears. Setting's fine though.
>>
>>46067493
interesting. thanks. I like the looks of FATE.
>>
>>46067541
Especially if everyone's going to be the same age category, but you may want to change it/timeskip, FATE would let you do that pretty easily.

FC drake race is a bit more limited, but if you hand out bonus racial feats at level one four or five players could all customize themselves distinctly. Even has a guide on how to make 'D&D dragons' in the Adventure Companion.
>>
Working on a homebrew system for playing dragons, myself.

But I want to monetize it, so I'm not posting it until it's both finished and available to sell.
>>
>>46067017
Kind of. It was an odd setting, kind of a spelljammer year one thing, where we were playing crew to a worlds first spelljammer exploration ship with a vast crew of scientists and researchers to explore the first world we found.

It didn't start as a dragon campaign but three of the four of us ended up playing dragons.
I played a red dragon that had taken to archaeology to increase his hoard and had gotten really good at it.
We had a gold dragon geologist with a similar story but with mining and a blue dragoness that was part of the scouting teams. The other player was a lich with a skeleton army he kept in storage for manual labor. We all had a geas to keep us from enacting violence on each other. We had to spend most of our time in humanoid form and all hated each other but hung out because it was better than hanging out with the fucking elves and humans. There was also a creepy love triangle that developed.

We ended up discovering some interstellar horror that was eradicating other worlds and civilizations and put a stop to it.
>>
>>46068525
>There was also a creepy love triangle that developed.
Mmm, yesss. Tell me more.
>>
>>46067017
Only if we start as hatchlings and adventure untill young adults.

That's the only way too keep some illusion of balance.

Also everyone being able to shapeshift into a humanoid helps.
>>
>>46069006
Well, the red dragon was a homo and wanted to hatefuck the gold dragon. The gold dragon fell for the blue's charms and could only think of doing her rightly and the blue wanted the red in her. The lich thought it was fucking hilarious and did his best to push the situation, such as suggesting human, dwarven and elven courting methods to each of them.

Unfortunately, everyone was cockblocked by the bbeg and the triangle went nowhere.
>>
>>46070718
I was hoping the lich would have been the subject of the love triangle
>>
We'd all have to be working against one another.

Dragons are too self important to ever do things "with" other dragons, except mate and even that's dicey.
>>
>>46069748
Depends on your edition.

PF has plenty of challenges for great wyrms, ones that can do far worse than kill them;
>>
>>46067017
>>46069748
Honestly, you could run a slightly modified version of the Horde rules from FFG's 40k games. They work on the principle of the player characters being powerful enough to kill a single baddie with a single hit, which works for Dragons quite well.

Basically you use the basic statline of the enemy you're fighting, but replace their hit points with a Magnitude score that represents how large the Horde is. Whenever a player makes an attack, however devastating that attack was, that attack takes down a point off of the Horde's Magnitude (With obvious differences for criticals, etc.).

So, a mob of a hundred Orcs or so would use the statline of an Orc, but with Magnitude 30 instead of its hitpoints. This one, overarching creature profile would be able to attack any number of the PC dragons, but could also be attacked by all the dragons.

From a narrative point of view, you would describe each attack by the Player Characters as burning alive Orcs in droves, rending apart waves of them, or otherwise wrecking face.

Meanwhile the Orcs get bonuses to their attacks based on their Magnitude score, which in the narrative is given as scores of spears being hurled at the player characters, with the most breaking against sales, with only a few lucky ones getting through to weak points.

Meanwhile you would save Elite groups as groups of enemies that could challenge a player character on its own, or the Big Bad, who could take on the player characters if they're not careful.

Its just a suggestion, but it would be an easy way to make playing a dragon feel like playing a dragon.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.