[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DBZ RPG GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: DBZ 052.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DBZ 052.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>Suggestions doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZO-js9ylLnqSrl4hVz1iJFE-S-imNrCrdnuyMaVrAk0/edit

>Playtest Tournament
https://app.roll20.net/join/957864/GWL6Pw

.pdf attached.

NOTE: At 2 P.M. Central Time, part of the Tournament crew will be facing a Tier 5 and up opponent to test a few rules and ideas. All character slots are full, but observers are welcome.
>>
File: 1448895757029.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1448895757029.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46064914
>>
File: 1447252779666.png (1 MB, 937x1190) Image search: [Google]
1447252779666.png
1 MB, 937x1190
>>46064958
>>
Crap, got court during the tournament. Will somebody man the screencaps and summaries?
>>
>>46065165
I was going to say that the logs are automatically saved, but fuuuck. The logs for DBV's chat take forever to load.
>>
>>46065165
The after-action report shouldn't take too long to put up, though. If the Tournament uses STR*3, any hit will probably be nasty.
>>
Hey everybody, hope you can make it to the big mach with Vod tomorrow.

The main thing we'll be testing is my idea for having a number of reactions equal to your tier, but considering there's been talk of switching to unlimited reactions that's kind of a moot point. If the fight ends quickly there will likely be rematches with different rules/ideas, and as always there will be a lot of discussion about game mechanics and DBZ in general. We will be starting with STR*3 for damage, but based on a sparing match we had the other day I'm not to concerned about it.
>>
>>46067226
Of course, damage is going to be different in a sparing match because you're trying to spare each other.
>>
>>46067591
When I say sparring, I mean we were just practicing the game. In game they were duking it out for real. Combination attacks work really well incidentally.
>>
We're so going to crush Vod.
>>
Fight well, comrades.
>>
>>46067885
it was a joke
>>
>>46074373
ur a joke
>>
Tournament chat is jumping.
>>
File: 1446832768770.jpg (47 KB, 500x457) Image search: [Google]
1446832768770.jpg
47 KB, 500x457
>>46064914
IT BEGINS.
>>
I can't see the action on my mobile even with desktop view thanks to the clutter
>>
File: 1455521708658.png (28 KB, 377x636) Image search: [Google]
1455521708658.png
28 KB, 377x636
>>46076929
The rolls for this are just terrible.
>>
File: 1437914148198.jpg (209 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
1437914148198.jpg
209 KB, 1280x854
>>46064914
So, Tier 3 vs. 4 Tier 1s. STR*3 damage for melee, but reactions equal to Tier for reaction rules.

Combat lasted for three rounds before being declared in favor of raw numbers. Not a lot of attacks landed, a combination of terrible rolls and high stats on Vod's side screwed the Tier 1 offense.

The big standouts are one of the Tier 1 fighters, Vocado, could reliably do 33 damage with his Burst Strike Attack, and landed it twice. Once courtesy of a feint laid down by someone else. A 6 damage attack and Vod cranked it up to Tier 4 and healed half his health.

So, in short, 3 rounds, a little over 70 damage dealt to the Tier 3. The heroes landed three hits out of twelve attacks, Vod landed three on his own. Most of the damage dealt has been with the STR*3 scaling.
>>
>>46078605
One thing to note in this fight is just how thoroughly Fatigue fucks up even the higher tiers. With STR*3, it builds up with almost every hit.
>>
>>46079791
Once you hit Tier 6, it's practically impossible for anyone in Tier 1 to lay a finger on you without Ki Attack Mods.
>>
>>46081128
To be totally honest it should be that way much earlier.
>>
>>46081330
To be honest, at Tier 4 it's a bit difficult, but he was outnumbered 4 to 1. At Tier 5, it was only 3 to 1, but he was also suffering the effects of a Blind attack, so that kinda fucks with the scale.

At Tier 6, even with the Blind Attack, it's still nearly impossible to defend or attack him.
>>
>>46078605
Okay, so. Over the next few rounds, things got harder. The move from Tier 3 to Tier 4 took the fight up to a new level, not aided at all by one of the four Tier 1s having to leave. He only healed half his health, but it still took at least four rounds to bump him to Tier 5.

At Tier 5, he was Blinded by a player's attack for two rounds and took a huge beating as a result. However, once the blinding wore off, he was extraordinarily difficult to touch, and he was hammering the Tier 1s into the floor before moving to Tier 6.

At Tier 6, even blinded and suffering -5 temporary Fatigue, he was a huge challenge. Once he eliminated the 6 Fatigue he'd picked up from damage, he was nearly untouchable. And the temporary Fatigue vanishing essentially turned it into a slaughterhouse. At the end, he was blinded again and two of the characters ran, leaving the third behind to make his last stand.
>>
>>46082218
The big differences we used were that Vod had reactions equal to his Tier and that Fatigue didn't subtract from pure Attribute rolls, such as the DN2 INT check to prevent panicking from fire or the TOU roll to resist electrical paralysis.

The current Fatigue rules state that Fatigue takes away from ALL dice pools, but we decided that it would be too easy if those rolls ended up getting fucked because, at one point, he had 12 Fatigue.

Things we figured on after:

The multiple reactions definitely fixed the ease of combat. With Vod able to deflect or evade most of the shit we threw at him, we couldn't just throw out one weak attack then ping him with heavy hits after.

STR*3 was definitely a bit too much on the damage scale. Every time a melee or Strike attack landed, at least one point of Fatigue was delivered. Personally, I think that scaling it back to naked strength will work best, but at least two other Tournament players think that STR*2 is just fine.

The Tension scale works well.

Feint still has no listed opposed roll in the book. It should be Deception vs. Perception, in my opinion.

EpicMasterMind said very early on that attackers won draws. This is still not addressed in the book. Needs to be.
>>
>>46082403
More thoughts on Blinding: Holy hell, is it effective.

Right now, Blinding requires a DN4 Perception test (which is, admittedly, pretty high at low levels. It's nothing at higher tiers, if you've got points in either INT or Perception, though.). In the nearly guaranteed case where your opponent fails, they take half of the move's damage amp in Fatigue for 1d2 rounds.

The big downside to it is, holy shit, it's expensive as fuck. I mean. Blinding is a 3x multiplier onto your Ki Attack's cost as it is. Add to that the cost of damage amplification... If you want this to be something you just toss 1 Ki into, you're going to be looking at about 24 EXP for 1 Fatigue.

Solar Flare. A Blinding Ball attack, Tension 5, 1 Ki, 3 Damage Amp (for 2 Fatigue), 0 Burst, 1 Charge, 0 Pierce. 72 EXP.

Make it cost 7 Ki, you're looking at 18 EXP. But a huge Ki cost. If you don't have a high Ki recovery rate, you'll need teammates to take care of the opening you've created.

Say you want the most Fatigue you can muster. Damage Amp 10, for 5 Fatigue. (Actually, I guess you could do this with Damage Amp 9.) At 10 Ki, you're looking at 15 EXP. 14 if you use D.A. 9. If you want it any cheaper, you're looking at doubling the EXP cost.

It's a useful attack, but it's very fucking expensive and only good for group situations unless you're high enough level to have a large Ki output AND a large melee output.
>>
>>46082919
So would it be any good to spam blind and electric attacks?
>>
>>46083084
Blind and Burning would probably work better. Electric and Ice attacks can be overcome with Willpower. Burning can't.

Electric, the save is your TOU against their KI. Depending on your stats, this could end up backfiring. Also, it just means that they can't act on their next turn unless they spend a Willpower. (This is, to date, about the only time TOU bonus dice are useful outside of Blocking.)

Freezing is TOU against KI as well, but if you fail, you suffer 1 Fatigue for a number of turns equal to the amount of successes over your roll they had. If they suck enough to get negative successes via rolling multiple ones, they're frozen. It's, in my opinion, potentially more useful than Electric's one turn paralyzation, but again. Stopped by Willpower. Or a Burning attack. Or a hot environment. Or Charging Ki.

Burning is a DN2 INT check. Theoretically easy to pass, but INT tends to be a dump stat in these games. If they fail the test, they panic and lose all actions and reactions for the next round. The flames can only be put out with a move action, otherwise they deal 1 damage per turn (ignoring TOU and armor) equal to the number of successes in the attack.

Now, with that Move Action thing? You can mix that Burn with a Shockwave, forcing them to take an Acrobatics check against your attack roll. If they fail, they can either move OR attack, but not both. While it's true that you won't do any damage (beyond the 1 point of Burn damage), going from having some Fatigue to not being able to defend yourself at all due to being on fire is a pretty nasty combo. And since you can't just willpower it out, it means that, if they fail the opposing roll, then you're pretty much assured that they'll lose a turn rather than just use a Willpower to snap back to normal.
>>
>>46082919
Oh, yeah. The default move listed in the book should only be 45 EXP.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.