[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think of the latest KSBD RPG update? Major changes:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: KSBDRPGv1.3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
KSBDRPGv1.3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
What does /tg/ think of the latest KSBD RPG update?

Major changes:

> different names for strength skill etc

> different stats for ranged and melee attacks have been removed for a single 'fight' skill using body

>use heat to avoid disaster

>actually added a move for creating items

>player 1 characters actually have a choice of an ability now

>followers not as shit
>>
Most importantly - lore section.
>>
>>46063293
yup, was getting to that

>DAEMONIAC
>What follows is a repository of the ancient and respected lore of Throne, the Red City.

>The Art
>What could be called magic in throne is known as the Art, and it is generally split into sub arts: Red, White, and Black. Using it is the 'art' of realizing that the entire universe is an illusion cast by the Flame Immortal, which permeates all things. It is often explained as the practice of lying to the universe convincingly enough that it becomes true. As such, it is explicitly vocal in nature, and heavily reliant on the practitioner’s will for things to become true.
>To use the Art, the practitioner simply refines their will into an cutting edge and speaks aloud, lying about the nature of the universe. “This is not an apple,” they might say, “But a plum.” The apple then becomes a plum, of course, if that’s what they prefer. The Art is described by many sorcerers as making their own small alterations to a story as it's being told.
>In theory it is very simple, but learning the ways to force your will on the universe and the right way to speak could take anywhere from a single month to a thousand years. The universe is sustained by the pure flame of the Gods themselves, and it takes a powerful and confident will to change that. This is evidenced by the fact that there are hundreds of schools of sorcery, but very few real sorcerers.
>>
>>46063403
>Types of Arts

>The Red Art is associated with changing the existing physical universe or nonanimate matter. For example, someone could use the Red Art to transfigure bare stone into gold, to warp a wall into a door, or to bend the illusion of life into inanimate objects. Equally, a practitioner could use the same principles to harm by igniting the air into bolts of fire or animating swords to fight on their own (collectively called pyromancy). Predictably, it is the most common and versatile art by far. One important aspect of the Red Art is it needs materials - it must transfigure, bend, or warp something that is already there (for example, bending the dust in the air into an illusion of life). The closer the base material to the desired result, the easier the Art is. Iron into gold is far easier
than water into gold, for example.

>The White Art is associated with changing the self or the self's perceptions. Common uses include dividing the universe to teleport short or long distances, divining hidden knowledge or casting your perception across dimensions, and aligning your soul flame (or atum) to physically transform your own body. Practitioners can shrug off bullets and blades like water, leap incredibly distances, or see through twenty-foot thick walls. The White Art is extremely hard to master and rarely sees use except by grand masters and very powerful or prodigious sorcerers. It is rumored that the ultimate use of the White Art is to turn back time, but this has never been observed.
>>
>>46063439

>The Red-White Art is a mixed art, more common in many uses than the pure White, but extremely rare and difficult in its most powerful uses. It is utilized to use the Red Art to affect others (since their perception of self must also be altered), by changing their physical form or mental state. Common uses are in baleful transfiguration, or baleful warping (also known as cursing or red words). During the great war between demiurges it was used to turn men’s skin to iron, reduce great kings to babbling idiots, or warp a warrior into a story-high monstrosity. At its peak practice, it can be used to kill with a single word. For this reason, its practice is taboo: restricted and even forbidden in many sorcerous circles and even many worlds.

>The Black Art is the rarest, simplest and most awe inspiring Art. It isn’t known if any practitioners still live. The Black Art has only one fundamental use, and that is to create something from nothing. It is written in the few texts that speak of its study that this ability can be used to further kindle the Flame Immortal and create life.
>>
Can't wait to pour over this.
>>
>>46064570
I just wish I had someone to play it with, none of my friends are interested in the comic
>>
>>46063462
>PERISH
>>
Still got that jpeggy image problem abbadon
>>
>>46065047
Seems red-white to me.
>>
>>46063160
I wish the types of knights were more unique, although I guess that would ruin some of the surprise if we see them in the comic.
>>
>>46063160
I hope this goes somewhere but to be honest I am not in a place where I can invest energy in it.
>>
>>46063160
Still no shields?
>>
File: WON66.jpg (1007 KB, 950x1229) Image search: [Google]
WON66.jpg
1007 KB, 950x1229
>>46065047
>>46065809
Huh, so the colour of the words does have some significance.
>>
File: ksbd60.jpg (927 KB, 950x1224) Image search: [Google]
ksbd60.jpg
927 KB, 950x1224
>>46067992
Contrast: the words are red, instead of white with red string.
>>
Interesting, I'll have to go over this in the morning. Anyone know what's changed from v. 1.2?
>>
File: Armour.jpg (53 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
Armour.jpg
53 KB, 600x620
I'm bored and need to test out some rules. Let's roll a chapter.
>>
>>46070459

Herpderp

Ignore me.
>>
>>46063160
oh god how fucking bad can neo /tg/ possibly be
>>
Huh, wasn't aware it was updated. I guess I'll have to take some time to digest this.
>>
Has anyone even found a group to play this?
>>
>>46070850
I'd certianly run it by my group if we could ever gather more than twice a year
>>
>>46070850
Been prepping a oneshot for my RPG group, but we have three ongoing campaigns we try to squeeze into our weekly meetings, so generally introducing new stuff happens on the order of "once every couple months"
>>
>>46070874
Literally my rl group, no schedule at all.
>>
>>46067992
>>46068009
That's pretty cool. Great foreshadowing.

>>46064781
Mine either. Maybe an online one-shot?
>>
I'm just keen to see the lore of this universe. Playing as a devil beggar is gunna be great.
>>
I just stayed up all night long reading the entirety of the series to now, an enormous amount of the literature, and a good portion of the RPG.

Yes. This. This is a thing with which I am okay.
>>
>>46071005
Would be interested, but we'd need some seriously confident rp-ers to pull it off
>>
>>46070850
I have one, but we will probably be using Fate Core instead, because the party I have doesn't support the "only one of each playbook" fuckery PbtA has going on.
>>
Hunter Angel is going to be fun as hell.
>>
I want to get into KSBD but there's three years worth of comic to read, is it at least a good trip?
>>
>>46075016
Well, someone did this >>46072143

For a taste, in the last few pages a sorceress just turned a guy into a tree and another into petals before getting an anime-style introduction screen.
>>
>>46075016
It is enormously satisfying in a lot of ways. It's damn imaginative worldbuilding, it's kickass action, it's fucking scale, and it's intricately detailed art all come to mind. Check out any crowd scene. Note how every single, intricately detailed, supremely imaginative alien creature shown in the wide shots continues to exist in closeups whether or not they are important. Abaddon's dedication to continuity is impressive.
>>
>>46073387
you know you could just, like, print two copies or something, right?
>>
>>46075359
It's a specific rule there. There are a lot of furies, but only one The Fury in the world. And the guy playing the playsheet is that The Fury. So no, we couldn't, the system is specifically designed to not accomodate that.

This is my main gripe with using PtbA for this, otherwise it's pretty good. Thankfully, I had some ideas how to Fate-ify Exalted-ish games, which would be trivially updated for this.
>>
File: important thing to remember.png (24 KB, 684x91) Image search: [Google]
important thing to remember.png
24 KB, 684x91
>>46075359
>>
>>46075016
It is immensely good. Do read the text offerings.
>>
So it looks like a gm's got some work cut out for him in this game, what with all the abstract talking and weird improvisation. Do any of you have any tips/experience for getting good at this?
>>
>>46073387
>>46075580

Why not?

Like, I understand it's a moderately unusual rule, but what's the beef? Does EVERY player want to be the vicious murder-berserker?
Because you can play against type with a lot of the abilities, and turn the various classes into others.

You can turn the Beggar into The Rabid pretty easily. Ways and Means gets renamed to "Rule by Fear", "Small Feet Make Small Paths" becomes "Shark Among the Minnows" and targets mercenary guilds instead of beggars.

Alternatively, have you seen what happens if you ignore that one rule? Like, does it openly break the game?

>>46077592
What I've found helps is actually just improvising. I know that sounds paradoxical, but if you go to some basic introductory classes, you should get the basics. It's really just a matter of thinking "what makes sense next" and being confident with it.
>>
>>46078669
You can definitely break that rule if you want, it's really just there to make sure there's diversity among players since each class is pretty specialized. Alternately there's also multi-class moves at the end you could have a player take.

>>46077592
I think some of the GM section is unfinished and there'll be more world-building/bestiary stuff in the future.
>>
>>46078669
I don't know what triggered it, but I definitely meant "tautological", not "paradoxical".
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.