[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interesting Powers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: Superhero.png (170 KB, 475x600) Image search: [Google]
Superhero.png
170 KB, 475x600
Alright people, let's try to find interestings powers and drawback for a superhero/supervillain.
Something beyond the overdone Flying Brick or Time-Control, something original.
The power level isn't really a thing, so feel free to come up with powers as absurdly overpowered as you like.
Let me begin:
>Hostility Power-Up: this power makes you stronger, faster, more resilient, more perceptive the more people are trying to kill you. Drawback is the small range of the power. This mean that in a straight up combat you will wreck shit, but fighting against a robot or anything not human will get you in a hospital or worse. This also means that when in a catastrophy (tsunami, tornado, volcano erupting) you are just an average dude.
>>
>>46059833
>Power: You have super strength
>Drawback: You do not have super bone density
>>
>>46059833
>Speed/Mass inversion: You can change your mass, but as you gain mass you lose speed and inverse.
>>
>>46059833
You can turn yourself invisible, but only when nobody is around to see you
>>
>>46059945
Actually, I've always wondered something:
I f you turn invisible and somebody then walks in, do you turn visible or not since no-one can see you?
>>
The power to switch the place of two similarly sized object, on the condition that nobody except you can see those two objects. You still need to have a general idea of the location of the two objects.
Yes you can still replace someone's heart with a rock.
>>
>>46059833
Cutlery mastery: You are granted complete mastery over all sorts of butchering tools and you can evoke them at will. However, they are still normal. You can evoke any knife you have previously held before in your hands.
>>
>>46059887
would that mean I can be the human gun?
flick a bullet towards a person but with my super strength it would be a real bullet fire?
>>
>>46060283
Yeah, I guess. Keep in mind this is mass, but it could be extended to durability.
>>46060205
Unlimited Kitchen Works?
>>
>>46059833
Trade.
As in you can trade anything, as long as it's consensual . "If I get 1 year of your life, you get my laughter"
>>
Super speed

Pro - Can go really fucking fast

Con - No increase in any other abilities. If you are running at 40 miles an hour and trip you are going to have a very bad day.
>>
>>46059833
Complete control over the body
>>
>>46059833
The power turns off when the hero loses their control over their emotions. What the actual power IS doesn't really matter, but once the user panics, or succumbs to despair, or becomes angry enough the power completely cuts out. Bonus points if in fights their opponents try and take advantage of this, or if its a plot device that the user attempts to gain more self-control in order to become less vulnerable.
>>
>>46059945
Does this mean you can't be recorded on video if no one is paying attention to the feed?
>>
He's as strong as however many people are watching him! Nobody watching? He's as strong as he normally is. Strong person watching? He's as strong as himself and the strong person combined. Fighting a monster in front of a massive crowd, with everyone's eyes locked on him? Get fucked, giant monster thing.
>Name: Everyman
>>
Super sight/hearing
Pro: you are super sensitive to visual and audio stimuli
Con: you are super sensitive to visual and audio stimuli
>>
>>46062064
nice
>>
>>46059833
Just copy some of the things from Boku no Hero Academia.
>>
>>46062338
The idea is COMING UP with interesting powers, not stealing them.
>>
>>46059833
I once had a character that could turn into an image on a surface, which could move and change appearance.
Zero damage capability, but good luck damaging a shapeshifting image without isolating it to a specific suspended surface and then completely destroying said surface.
He got the power from a decayed curse that was originally meant to trap you as a still image permanently. Shit still ended up trapping him for about 3 years while he tried his best to learn how to move and go back to being a 3d being.
>>
keratin hyper-production; Your body grows skin, nails, and hair at alarming rates based on your focus. Possibly by control.

Pros; you can get really tanky, really fast with concentration; three minutes til treeman-plate armor

Cons; intensive diet plan that penalizes you for using the ability as it leeches the body for the product
>>
State change: This power allows you change the state(solid, liquid, gazeous) of a material without changing anything else about it.
>>
>>46062673
>plasma
>bose-einstein condensate
>>
>>46062691
I purposefuly kept it simple, but I suppose we could go there, yes.
>>
one of my storylines has a royal bloodline, that has every second generation as a dryad. they have the special power to plant a part of themselves inside a tree if they don't find a suitable partner to reproduce with. it actually leads to a very interesting conflict, because the kingdom who's queen has done this, will not accept a dryad as a leader, so they cast him (the offspring) out. the other twist on it is that while the dryads can reproduce with humans to give birth to humna offspring, the human offspring is required to plant his "spiritual child" in a tree, so the change can be constant
>>
Total master of Nostalgia. That is, you can induce supernaturally strong nostalgia in anyone at-will, on any subject [as long as the person would naturally feel 'some' nostalgia to that topic]

Channel Surfing. You can jump into television or computer screens and jump out at any other television or computer screen.

The power to spontaneously induce musicals.

Narrative Control. You can select a genre of fiction and your life begins to follow the rules of that genre. You can change this out once a day.

Belief based divinity. Your nature and powers are determined by what people believe about you, with more people granting you more power. The downside if large numbers of your followers believe something about you, it becomes true, making you eternally vulnerable to your mind, memories, and personality being slowly shifted by this.

The ability to turn any object into the platonic ideal of that object.

The power to project your imagination unto the environment [that is, a reality marble].
>>
>>46063032
In one of my campaigns, I have actually made a man who is "kinda" inspired by Plato's work.
>Faithless man who lives in crime
>Starts to get into worse shit
>Culminate when he traps a family in their home before setting it on fire
>A burning plank falls on his face and sears it
>When he wakes up, he has HUGE flame powers and he claims to have seen the True Flame
>He instantly carbonizes everything around him in a huge pillar of fire, you could see it from space
>Keep the pillar of fire up because he is searching for a way to find the True Flame again
>At this point, he is a scorched corpse in the middle of an inferno, only alive because of his fanatism
>>
>>46062338
I'd say JoJo would be a better one but I need to get around to reading Hero Academia. Can you give a exmple? In JoJo a guy can only control people when he is directly above someone or a guy whose only ability works when he dies and he can't come back to life.
>>
The ability to absorb energy from matter, and you can never turn it completely off, just dial it down. So you keep gathering energy, and storing it indefinitely. When you die, your powers will shut off, catastrophically releasing the energy you built up.
>>
>>46060205
Fucking sweet, just become DIO without the stand, or Gilgamesh without the golden armor and foppery.
>>
>>46059833
I really like the idea of a Superhero duo where the Superhero's powers are either completely useless or usually used by Villains.
Ex. A Superhero who travels and traps people by a bunch of spiders swarming all over his feet and legs, the spiders covering him entirely, and swarming along the ground to get him somewhere else. He'd preferably look like a Normal Young Man going into Middle Age, no white face, sunken eyes, long black hair, anything.
His Sidekick would have some little Power like being able to control some rare metal. He mostly uses it so reshape broken jewelry but he's pretty useless in combat.
>>
> The Mark of Zeus
> 40mph flight
> Capability of throwing plasma bolts at high velocity with very precise aim. Increase in aim is not compatible with fired weapons. Thrown weapons gain some advantages, but spears are ideal.

> Mark of the Glutton
> Large build. Appetite that is never quite sateable.
> Capable of lifting or exerting as much force as anything that weighs as much as or less than they do. Enables the Marked to be capable of growing much larger/taller than a noral human would be capable of. The Marked must remain on a consistent diet to keep up this weight. Durability increases with size, not weight. Stomach strong enough to consume raw food.

> Mark of the Immovable
> The Marked cannot be affected by kinetic force - anything that impacts with the subject has most of the force dissipated and some reflected back at the object. Results in low- to mid-tier strength and selectively high durability. The Marked cannot move the earth, so it is assumed there's a limit to this ability. The Marked is vulnerable to other means of harm such as incineration, drowning, and asphyxiation.

That's a few of the better ones.
>>
>>46059833
The hero or villain has the ability to do anything but they have to convince people that they can do it first.Ex: The user has convinced people that they jump really high but can't fly. They then proceed to jump high enough that it would seem to people that they're flying. So now they can fly. Just think about the hype the villain could have, or the how the hero earns people's trust.
>>
>>46059833
I was thinking of a superhero a while ago. He had superstrength and durability, but only while in a venue legally licensed to sell alcohol.

So he built a suit of mahogany armor with gold fittings, got it a liquor license, and takes his bar with him.

His superhero name is Stout.
>>
>>46059833
TIME BRICK! The more they're hit or the harder they're hit the slower time goes around them.
>>
>>46059833
FLIGHT CONTROL! You can't fly but you can control anyone who is flying
>>
I always thought it'd be interesting to have a shapeshifter, but they still obey the laws of biology and conservation of mass. Want to turn into a tree, first you have to shapeshift into something that can digest the stuff that makes up a tree, then have to eat an equivalent amount of stuff.
>>
>>46061871
Mystery Men did this with a motion sensor and it didn't get triggered, but that's as far as they explored it

Mystery Men 2 when
>>
>>46063664

The MC has generic super strength but can't really control it too well. until later His body is barely conditioned for it and when he seriously punches things he destroys his arms. It's pretty good.
>>
>>46067931
zoolander 2 was shit, so never
>>
>>46062469
What if your power is stealing other peoples powers but only when they are interesting?
>>
>>46062064
Batman already has a villain called everyman.
>>
File: evangelion-2011-christmas-cake.jpg (200 KB, 600x510) Image search: [Google]
evangelion-2011-christmas-cake.jpg
200 KB, 600x510
>>46059833
I once played a character in a Super Hero who's powers were based on the Angels from Evangelion.
She had an S2 organ complete with an Angel Core embedded in her chest, right into the sternum.
She could generate an A.T field, a nigh-unbreakable forcefield which was weak to certain items and technologies, sometimes arbitrarily chosen by the DM.
This field would exclude everything that wasn't 'her' which she could cheat by skin contact. Protecting one or two people was fine but if contact was lost it got messy.
Also baggy clothing had a nasty habit of being shredded.
She could project an energy beam but had little control over it's amplitude for a long time and had to train to make it more useful then completely annihilating everything for a kilometre in front of her. Even still, she never could reign it into non-lethal levels so she didn't often get to use it.
She had Arael's Mind Rape ability though it required skin contact rather then a beam of light. This had very limited use.

She had flight of sorts by using her field to 'push' away from objects. Normally this was pushing away from air in a sudden jump which flung her along, slowing herself down with multiple, weaker pushes in the opposite direction. She could also hover.

Also she had complete control over her biological form and could repair. Shape-shifting was possible but it required a day to a week depending on complexity. She only did this once to disguise but otherwise used it to reform her body to peak condition.

Despite the limited use of her powers and the massive drawbacks she was actually a lot of fun to play especially towards the end of the campaign when the alien invasion began, giving her a true chance to cut loose.
>>
i once thought about a hero with the power of "bro-ness"
something among the lines of inpire a feeling of brotherhood between allies and even the most hatefull enemies

not the best but hey
>>
>>46061537
The drawback being that you have to think to breath or making your heart beat.
>>
>>46072048
So I assume from your choice of image she was a redhead? Possibly German?
>>
File: Demigods.png (2 MB, 5047x4053) Image search: [Google]
Demigods.png
2 MB, 5047x4053
>>46063032
>Belief based divinity
It's old and overdone, but I fucking love this trope. I'd love to run a campaign set in an American Gods-esque setting.
>>
>>46060089
In that case the true power is to separate a heart ad an object discrete from the body it is intricately connected to. You have Super Categorization. Your enemy is the Super Reductionist, whose body can only be manipulated one quanta at a time.
>>
File: Asuka screams at the world.jpg (102 KB, 599x780) Image search: [Google]
Asuka screams at the world.jpg
102 KB, 599x780
>>46072140
Redhead, yes. The Asuka allusion was to tempting but her nationality never came up. Probably she at least came from a German family though as everyone kept encouraging me to swear in German.

The choice of the picture though is because it's the only S2 image I have and I couldn't be bothered quickly nabbing a different one from the net.
>>
>>46059921
That's a great power.
You can speed up to the other guy and then go full mass just before you hit them, assuming the power doesn't mess with your momentum.

How does the loss of mass work though?
>>
>>46060089
Go back to barking, Missile.
>>
>>46059833
You can change energy into matter, but not the reverse. Doing comic book conversions instead of 1:1 stuff, so you pull stuff like silencing your gun by turning the noise into some extra air, or using sunlight to make steps or other coverings. Best bet would probably be heat for actually concentrated dense matter, sunlight would be decent but run into the issue that you have to work at it to avoid having your creation turn out like shit because you obscured the sunlight partway through.
>>
Total invulnerability but only to weapons that have been used in war.
Punches, guns and explosives don't work, but socking him with a tablelamp might
>>
>>46060548

This gets brought up a lot, and it is by far my favorite power from fiction. There's an episode of the original run of the Twilight Zone where an ordinary guy manifests this power in the hospital when an old man with a cold says he would rather have the main character's broken arm, as it is less likely to kill him than a cold at his age. From there he ends up selling his youth for wealth and then buying his youth back a year at a time from stupid teenagers while keeping most of his wealth, all to impress the father of the woman he wants to marry.
>>
>>46072410
That story was amazing.
>>
File: 5229b7_5694786.jpg (122 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
5229b7_5694786.jpg
122 KB, 1000x800
>>46059833
Super Disguise Power
Put on a fake mustache and no one will recognize you.
Dress up like a goon of a bad guy and everyone will believe your story about it being your first day.
Downside; other people won't recognize you either unless you're in a getup in witch they've seen you before.
>>
shadow-reflection: not the vague power to harness "darkness" or anything like that. You can use your shadow as a means of manipulating your form. For example, using your will to prevent your shadow from moving means that you are unable to be moved. forcing your shadow to move makes you move.
Pros: pseudo super strength and durability.
Cons: very taxing on stamina and mental constitution. dependent on light sources and concentration. if you try to hold your form to your shadow and the light source suddenly changes, you might end up twisting yourself in an awful way.
>>
>>46059945
I love that movie
>>
The BBEG in a M&M game I played in had an interesting power it worked in 2 parts, part 1 was a basketball sized orb of bright light that he could control with his mind part 2 was that any object or person that he cast his shadow on would be drained of heat in seconds and left an icy corpse.
>>
>>46063664
To be fair, we don't know if Notorious B.I.G's ability functioned when it was alive, since he was only alive for 2 pages.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.