[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /tg/entlmen I need some assistance. I am GMing a Rogue Trader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
Okay /tg/entlmen I need some assistance. I am GMing a Rogue Trader game for good two years now and I doing a fine job at it. A year or so ago, my players decided to write everything down in a more serious fashion then some notebook, I found them the Obsidian Portal and we made a „wiki“ page there.
Now only two players out of 5 took to writing the thing with me, and I decided to award them.
I need some ideas on rewards I could give them.
Now I could always go adhoc and give ingame boons and such, but since the most active member is my girlfriend(6 years now), I don’t want her to deal with the prejudice of the party „She’s sleeping with the GM she has benefits“. So I want to write down a reward system for them. So all of them who contribute have something to strive for.

I thought of a numerical system to give points for logging the sessions and such, and those points to unlock certain things in game. I was thinking – 1-5 pts for logging a session, 1-2 pts for personal updates, 2-5 pts for off-session talks (which my players love doing I thought I might as well reward),

>10pts – 30xp
>15pts – 10% off corruption decrease
>15pts – 10% off insanity decrease
>20pts – Emperors Blessing (some minor thing goes your way during a session, very GM dependent, might not be worth it even, if the GM is in a foul mood that reward might be arbitrary)
>50pts – Interesting item
>100pts – Strange ability

You see where I’m going with this... What are your thoughts about this, any experience with this?
Also if you are interested I can show you the Obsidian Portal Page
>>
Also I paint rather well, but I already kinda do this for my players... Maybe I should put that in as well...
>>
The party once started... 3 years ago.
>>
File: burn_by_storykillinger-d8g6yjs.jpg (50 KB, 900x876) Image search: [Google]
burn_by_storykillinger-d8g6yjs.jpg
50 KB, 900x876
Seneschal now deceased.
>>
Rogue Trader Aheron Tiberius
>>
File: jack_by_storykillinger-d8fxci8.jpg (117 KB, 800x958) Image search: [Google]
jack_by_storykillinger-d8fxci8.jpg
117 KB, 800x958
ArchMilitant now deceased.
>>
>>46050347
I'll just let this die quietly..
>>
>>46050693
its for the best anon.
>>
>>46050347
>Also if you are interested I can show you the Obsidian Portal Page

I WANT IT! GIVE ME THE LINK! I WANT STORIES OF SWASHBUCKLING SPACE GOTHIC PIRATE GRIMDARK FORTUNE AND GLORY ADVENTURES! Just disregard the shitty anons that are jealous at your two years long gaming, a mileage that they can't even dream of achieving. Give stories. Now pls.
>>
>>46051196
https://tiberius-dynasty.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page
There you go anon
>>
>>46050347
is rouge trader a fun game?

i played 40k but stopped after gw hobby centers developed into pure selling machinery but i actually like the universe

does anyone know if i can get the pdf of the rulebook in german so i can read the rules

>if i would decide to play it i would purchase the rulebook anyway
>>
>>46051294
>https://tiberius-dynasty.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page
Wow this looks quite good anon. Just read through the front page and am looking at characters and the arcs...damn there's a lot of material here. Where you from? How do you game? RL, roll20? I myself will be starting a Rogue Trader campaign sometime soon and by the Emperor do I envy you for how long you have successfully gamed. Game on anon!
>>
>>46050347
OP, this is a terrible idea.

Now don't get me wrong, /tg/ loves storytime. Having players write down a log of the campaign is great: it stops people forgeting what happened, keeps people invested in the game and story, and is especially good for telling the tale to others or looking back in later years and reminiscing. Several of my friends have kept logs/diaries/campaign journals, both in and out of character, and they all worked really well.

BUT.
You should NEVER give in-game rewards for IRL behavior, or vice versa.
NEVER.

If you reward players in-game for out-game behavior it creates divisions and splits between players. It grades them, and in this case it's even worse because one of them is your partner. It lets in the perception of unfairness, and will foster animosity and rivalries.

(The reverse situation, rewards IRL for in-game behavior, turns the game into a competition. Which is fine where competition is natural, but not in cooperative RPGs. But you didn't ask about that.)

From your description (a multi-year campaign with loyal players) your game is doing fine, and will only be harmed by this idea.
>>
>>46051456
This anon gets it.

Besides OP, why do you need points and charts and such for these things?
If I would implement this, I would not relate these rewards into any sort of statistical or numerical values, but rather try to implement these into roleplaying.

An active member has been publishing a lot of logs?
>Have a NPC compliment the character IC.
>NPC gives out a sweet, but ultimately meaningless gift, like quality recaf.
>Warp travel is nerve wrenching for the rest of travelers except one players character is sleeping with no worries.
And such. Personally I would tell the players that I would give small story elements to those that do extra on their free time, but would not promise anything.
In the end, it creates small imbalance, but it is not like every reward is shareable.
>>
You can even reward them without them actually knowing that you rewarded them for their campaign journal contribution. But as other anons said, don't go overboard with it. In fact, I would strongly suggest to scrap this idea and turn your enthusiasm in rewarding all players with even more detailed and compelling missions/campaign developments.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.