[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: knight of fairy township amano.jpg (407 KB, 998x1379) Image search: [Google]
knight of fairy township amano.jpg
407 KB, 998x1379
Informal poll: extra attack or 3rd level spells?

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g
>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
Extra attack since I like hitting things as I am a simple man.
Who here is going to Adventurer's League tonight? I can't wait to return to Roderick the Half-Orc Noble Paladin.
>>
The Fifth Edition Feats book sucks. Don't buy it.
>>
>>46047892
extra attack
>>
>>46047927
>paying money for homebrew
you deserved it
>>
>>46047927
but you should of known this just from the title and concept
>>
Dipping Warlock: too cheesy, or just cheesy enough? A talky Lore Bard would fit my next character nicely, but knowing my group it'd be nice to have some solid blasting to fall back on.
>>
Just DM'd for the first time tonight. We did the first session of Lost Mines of Phandelver. Things went pretty smoothly. I just need to work on information delivery.
>>
>>46047951
>>46047957

I don't really care about having spent money on it, I'll still add it to my collection. It has 'SOME' good gems, but 80% of them are trash or just don't plain work within the given rules of 5th edition.
>>
File: 1451542675517.jpg (87 KB, 1076x743) Image search: [Google]
1451542675517.jpg
87 KB, 1076x743
>>46048006
>yfw you realise it's actually called Lost MINE of Phandelver
>>
File: 1456499283666.png (586 KB, 800x712) Image search: [Google]
1456499283666.png
586 KB, 800x712
>>46048045
Fuck. You know what I mean.
>>
>>46047976
too cheesy imo but it hasnt stopped hordes of 5e players from doing it.

its honestly... i don't understand why people even think its a good idea. be a whole spell level behind for the rest of the game.... to get a cantrip that does good damage yeah, but is that really that useful? you have a whole party to buff into doing damage, or you can just steal some damaging spells, or you can use a bow, or whatever.

its a shit deal imo.
>>
File: 1451542675537.jpg (82 KB, 629x581) Image search: [Google]
1451542675537.jpg
82 KB, 629x581
>>46048072
Haha, yeah. Was just being facetious.
>>
>>46048006
It gets easier with practice. I've only DM'd about 6 or 7 sessions myself and I'm already a lot better than when I started.
Players still complain that every single NPC has a shifting Scottish/Welsh accent, but I'm learning.
>>
>>46047976
I don't let my players typically multiclass unless it fits within the events that unfolded in their journeys or they find someone that can teach them such a vocation.
>>
>>46048113
Oh, they liked my voices for Yeemik, the Goblin boss and Klarg, the Bugbear. But sometimes I'll switch accents mid sentence and even I'm like "what the fuck am I doing?"
>>
>>46048148
My group has adopted an orc slave and I swear every time I go to speak for him it comes out different.
>>
File: extreme sweating.gif (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
extreme sweating.gif
2 MB, 1280x720
>finally find people to play with
>choose sorcerer because I get to be a fucking dragon thing
>completely sucks, can't do shit but throw darts that miss all the time
>get to third level from piggybacking
>get Breath Weapon
>once per day? ya ok kid whatever
>use it when ambushed and I'm in the front of the group
>mfw 9 damage to everything
Holy shit this makes up for being almost completely useless outside of Arcane Missile and Identify worth it
>>
>>46048006
good on you mate. You can only be as efficient as your players usually. and getting better at delivering your content is more art form than science.
>>
File: 1451584617947.jpg (22 KB, 317x313) Image search: [Google]
1451584617947.jpg
22 KB, 317x313
>>46048190
>>
>>46048214
>using darts when you're a caster

nigga, let us help you. how did you build your character? dragonborn sork as dragon blood ancestry?
>>
File: guaranteed replies.png (29 KB, 1399x70) Image search: [Google]
guaranteed replies.png
29 KB, 1399x70
>>
>>46048078
Losing spell progression isn't such a big deal any more, especially when you start getting once-per-day-and-that's-it slots unless you can rest whenever you feel like it. In exchange, recharging low-level slots, a spare Invocation for free proficiencies or knocking people off cliffs, a familiar or ritual book. and the equivalent APR progression of a pure fighter, in ranged unresistable force damage form. Except for very low level games, it's more than a good deal, it's one of the closest things 5E has to outright broken. I'd definitely at least consider a build using it suspect.

Sorcerer multis are right out.
>>
>>46048264
I don't even understand this bait meme? is it because the halberd and glaive don't have other damage types? or because they do the same damage die?
>>
>>46048264

You should do a second comparison between spears and tridents.

Y'know, like how tridents are a martial weapon but otherwise have the exact stats as the simple spear.
>>
>>46048337
No, they cost more and weigh more : ^ )
>>
>>46048304
I assume it's just that they could have easily put in a lucerne or a heavy spear or some bullshit for an alternate damage type, but decided to just do a straight copypaste instead.
>>
File: 1457153933707.jpg (352 KB, 650x916) Image search: [Google]
1457153933707.jpg
352 KB, 650x916
Guys I'm a fairly new player and I'm wondering if you can help me with a ruling.

I'm multiclassing rogue 3 assassin and fighter 2 with the crossbow expert feat. I noticed that action surge and sneak attack don't use actions or bonus actions in the book.

On my first turn if I beat my enemies in initiative, can I action surge, attack on my first action with sneak attack damage on top of the automatic crit, use another action to attack with my crossbow again landing another auto crit, then use the bonus action from crossbow expert to attack 3 times with auto crits?

I'm asking this because it feels kinda over powered for a 5th level character.
>>
>>46048356
I'd rule firstly, that the creauter being attacked becomes automatically aware of your presence after hitting it the first time. meaning only sneak damage and crits on the first strike.
>>
>>46048304
They are exactly the same in all aspects even cost and weight. It's simply wasted space and half assed copypasting.
>>
>>46048356
Just to be clear, Assassin only auto crits if you go before the enemy AND the enemy is surprised.

Crossbow expert gives you ONE attack with a bonus action, which you can only do once per turn. So your turn would look like this: Attack Action, Bonus Action XBow Expert Attack, Action surge second Attack Action. Sneak Attack can be applied to any one of these 3 attacks.
>>
>>46048408
Ah, I understand now. I always assumed it was just them trying to describe other polearms, although I'd agree it's pretty lazy.
>>
did the chris perkins stream happen
how was it
>>
>>46048477
It was pretty bad imo. The youtubers were pretty cringey and bad, and chris didn't really seem into it.
>>
>>46048493
>Not liking a Southern Paladin and doom+gloom Sorcerer in the same party
>>
>>46048356
You can make those three attacks with advantage assuming you go before them. The part that is confusing is "surprised" it's not a status condition that is given a specific duration in the book. Being surprised causes you to lose your first turn and not make reactions until after it but it's unknown whether or not this is how long a character is "surprised"until this happens or if events such as you attacking them can end it. I would rule that all of the attacks that hit are automatic crits but it's up to your dm.
>>
>>46048493
I disagree, it was pretty amusing and fairly par the course for a game group. Chris seems to enjoy himself barring some technical issues and trying to keep a straight face.

It's like a horror film, everything to light and silly in the beginning, then shit hits the fan.
>>
>>46048477
We've got an interesting (if a bit cliche) party dynamic shaping up, and Perkins did a good job establishing a Gothic atmosphere of growing dread as they're introduced to Barovia. Solid first episode.
>>
>>46048523
As someone who typically finds Holly tolerable, It seemed like she was unhappy to be there and made for awkward pauses. And I mean beyond the roleplaying of her character's aversion to the group. I did enjoy the paladin though.

Also the
>lol im drunk guys
is so stupid cmon
>>
>>46048356
I don't think it's that unreasonable for an assassin who manages to get the jump on his opponents to. You do have to beat them in initiative and still land those attacks for them to be crits in addition to planning and executing the ambush so it seems like a worthy payoff.
>>
>>46048148
Sometimes (all of the time) I switch between accents when doing NPCs and I occasionally have them express confusion over their shifting ethnicity.
>>
I'm feeling very silly cause I've been playing this Cleric up to 5th level, and I just realized I've probably used Spiritual Weapon maybe once or twice in combat since.
>>
File: 1428990516829.jpg (166 KB, 1024x1325) Image search: [Google]
1428990516829.jpg
166 KB, 1024x1325
>Party Rogue is preparing for an event that prohibits adventuring gear by stocking their garb with hidden weapons
>Decides that in case things get really ugly they'll need Thieves' Tools to break in or out of something
>They want to hide them *in* their person
Should it be allowed, with penalties to anything that might be inhibited? The Tools are 1 pound in the equipment table.
>>
>>46048707
>Should it be allowed
no
>>
File: 1422198877474.jpg (283 KB, 963x830) Image search: [Google]
1422198877474.jpg
283 KB, 963x830
>>46047892
3rd level spells.
I'm a sucker for Haste
>>
>>46048707
Slight of hand to get them in.
Constitution save(s) to keep them in during any 'strenuous activity'
Constitution save to get them out. Any fails on the con and they can't come out until the next long rest.

Also it'll be gross as fuck, but I imagine they already know that.
>>
One of my players keeps trying to make bombs out of oil and improvise other such flaming weapons. I want to let him do it, but I'm having trouble ruling damage for this kind of thing.

Is there anywhere in the DMG that covers this? Or is there any good homebrew for alchemy/chemical weapons.
>>
>>46048838
nonmagical fire deals 1d6 damage per round.
>>
>>46047892
Extra attack. 3rd level spells are probably "better" on several levels, but I like playing as fighters and thieves.
>>
>>46048838
1d6 fire per round, dex save after each turn to end. Some animals will panic while on fire.
>>
>>46048881
>>46048902
Cheers m8s
>>
>>46048902
I love old-timey morale checks for shit like this.
>>
>>46048707
If he lets the half-orc barbarian loosen him up for a while in advance, a prison pocket is totally permissible.
>>
>>46048707
depends, is pic related?
>>
File: GF973705 collage.png (1 MB, 1218x1449) Image search: [Google]
GF973705 collage.png
1 MB, 1218x1449
This thing is a piece of shit, nobody pre-order this. it's just the map of Barovia and castle ravenloft... absolutely useless..

Why are 5th edition's screen absolute dog shit?
>>
>>46048838
yup. the other posters got it, just look up alchemist's fire in the PHB equipment list.
>>
>>46049075
I just don't know why the normal one just has so much spacing. It has mostly useful information, just spread out across way too much.
>>
At low levels is it best for wizards to just spam their damage cantrips? Also, our party has a ranger who seems pretty bored in combat- all he does is shoot once each turn. How can we make combat more interesting?
>>
>>46049075

Honestly, this thing is more useful than the other ones. The maps are a nice reference point if don't want to go digging around for shit.
>>
Anyone got a scan of CoS? I only saw the haunted one background in the mega trove.
>>
>>46049158
>At low levels is it best for wizards to just spam their damage cantrips?
yes

>How can we make combat more interesting?
Ranger could climb around and snipe, set up ambushes, etc? He could fire the halfling rogue from his longbow. He could do some melee. Perhaps a called shot houserule?
>>
>>46048214

Dude, you have cantrips, right? Sorcerer in my campaign is spamming those fire bolts and other attack spells like crazy.
>>
File: 1456499379595.gif (660 KB, 200x199) Image search: [Google]
1456499379595.gif
660 KB, 200x199
>>46048214
>>
>>46049182

No one has cracked their book's spine yet and shipped it.
>>
>>46049144
The normal one I have. most of the information on it is good, but they could fit SO MUCH MORE if the artists that designed it swallow their fucking pride and stop illustrating the inside and put more damned useful info on it. I understand detailing the outside of the screen, it's meant to look pretty, go nuts. But the inside? the screen exists for two reasons: to hide the DM's rolls, and assist the DM in quickening his rulings by giving with a 2 1/2 foot long cheat-sheet. all the info on the basic screen that's there currently could be fit in half the space, OR LESS, it actually takes up on it.

>>46049166
I will admit that having the encounter table and the map of barovia 'can' be useful, but there isn't enough information on it to merit buying it. They could have added things like important NPC descriptions and mannerisms, the subtle changes to spells, barovian lore, or hell, Strahd's statblock (which is too fuckin big to write down and cumbersome to have the book flipped to the page and on my table). They could have done so much more to make it better.
>>
>>46049223
Some guy was scanning it before, got about halfway through it last I heard.
>>
>>46049264
>I will admit that having the encounter table and the map of barovia 'can' be useful, but there isn't enough information on it to merit buying it. They could have added things like important NPC descriptions and mannerisms, the subtle changes to spells, barovian lore, or hell, Strahd's statblock (which is too fuckin big to write down and cumbersome to have the book flipped to the page and on my table). They could have done so much more to make it better.

Won't disagree with you on any of these points, but the fact that it's more useful than just status conditions and some very rarely used tables seem more useful. Not fucking buying it though.

>>46049288
I believe it was an epic troll that ended in sadness.
>>
>>46049311
Pretty sure someone's working on it, but the guy doing it is a busy person and it's coming slowly. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be a few more days if someone didn't devote a full two days off scanning it.
>>
>>46049223
But the pdf released already, hasn't it?
>>
>>46049350
>WotC
>selling PDFs
The one you saw was probably the CoS Digital Maps one, which is just 27 hi-res maps.
>>
>>46049364
I read that they were releasing it digitally the same day it mass shipped.
>>
>>46049375
They don't sell PDFs of any of the other 5e rulebooks, why would they do so for CoS?
>>
>>46047927
Does anyone have a pdf of this?
>>
>>46049387
I don't fucking know man, they'd have to start somewhere.
>>
File: tgCharacterSheet_v1.5_4pages.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
tgCharacterSheet_v1.5_4pages.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Character Sheet version 1.5. All minor changes: second resource box, minor visual element changes, currency boxes reshaped, phrasing changes on reference sheet regarding dash and prone. Also added hollow box version to the zip. New mediafire link (removed the version number from url so I can re-use for future versions)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5m5afrklabpz5aj/tgCharacterSheet.zip

If you have feedback and want to be sure I see it, here is a google form set up to collect feedback:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vGvNuuVuJedatZfbIioz47FWGQBHkHbVKILuN_gyCRc

I also put it up on DMsguild (PWYW) because why not, someone would have eventually
>>
>>46049540
oh, I also added formula for available prepared spells in the header of the spellbook page
>>
>>46049540
You're doing the work of the gods Charsheetanon. I have a small request for the spellbook sheet that I thought of recently. Why not add another box for spells prepared? If I remember correctly, the formula for all classes that prepare spells is the same, so why don't you also add a grayed formula underneath it like the others?

It always erked me that the book tells classes they can prepare finite amounts of spells, but put nothing on the character sheets to record how many.
>>
File: YotsubaIntense.jpg (36 KB, 400x360) Image search: [Google]
YotsubaIntense.jpg
36 KB, 400x360
>>46049540
After a quick look over, I honestly just truly like it.
Nothing pops out as particularly jarring or annoying like other sheets, even the ammo and expertise is simple, sweet, and to the point.
It's somewhat stylish without overbearingly garish like some of the "old style" sheets i've seen, and even small bits like the forward slash in Hit Dice being slightly off center is fairly pleasing.
Haven't really looked at all at the player refrence, but even if it's only half as good as the rest of the sheet, I'll be handing it out to my players as a veritable option for character sheet, or just the last bit so they don't forget shit 90% of the bloody time.
>>
>>46049579
oh, haha. I didn't see you added the grayed text, but a box would also be nice. Like perhaps the spellcasting ability box is the largest of the four, and the other three uniformly the same size.
>>
>>46049540
any chance of a caster sheet with less equip/wep boxes and more spell stuff?
>>
>>46049540
Anon I truly love you for the hollow boxes. You are my favourite anon until the end of time. <3
Thank you. ;_;
>>
>>46049579
>>46049592
Hmm, I hadn't considered a dedicated box for number of prepared spells, since the pips in front of the spell name mark prepared, but it might be handy to have a number somehwere for reference. I will mull it over.

>>46049585
Please look the reference over, it is the page that I am least confident about. It is also pretty ugly since there is a lot of information and not enough space for a decent font size.

>>46049593
I've been thinking about the best way to handle this. In its current state, the 'Alternate' pdf has no ammunition box and one less weapon box, and you could adapt the weapon boxes to spells. However, it might be worth making a dedicated caster first page, keeping the weapon boxes, but reworking them for spells.

How do you think a spell box element should look? Boxes for Name, Range (could write aoe shape as well), Bonus, Damage? Something else?

>>46049616
Thanks, I think I actually prefer the hollow boxes myself
>>
>>46048214
>I am a dragonic Sorcerer
>I am not using Fire Bolt
>>
>>46049540
Fun fact, paladin's prepared spells are weird; they get half of their class level, because they're half-casters. Maybe refer to the multiclass caster spell slots page, or just note 1/2 if a paladin?
>>
>>46049540
Retarded question:
Why is there equipment, AND other items?
the only thing I can think of would be mcgufffins, maybe? Minor bits and bobs someone picks up?
In which case, it being under your armor and shield is slightly odd.

Seconding >>46049616's opinion on hollow boxes. looks very nice.
>>
>>46049646
shit, I knew there was something fucky with some classes, too tired to remember which. They're the only special snowflakes, right? will update it now
>>
>>46049660
Yeah, Paladin is the only non-full caster who prepares spells.
>>
>>46049635
>How do you think a spell box element should look? Boxes for Name, Range (could write aoe shape as well), Bonus, Damage? Something else?
Yes, something like that would be good.
Maybe move languages to the second page with the rp stuff? Put "other proficiencies" where languages are now, below class features. Have a spell slot thing on the front page where class resources is and add a few boxes for spells where the weapons are now. Maybe add the spell slot tally where the ammo is now?
>>
>>46049635
Oh also: How about changing "Notable NPCs" to just "Notes"? Because faction-stuff is missing entirely in that sheet and just folding all "meta information" into one "notes"-box is something I like. Saves space and lets the player organize that stuff himself.
>>
>>46049690
and this
>>
>>46048214
Draconic origin sorcerers don't get breath weapon
>>
>>46049635
If you're going to detail the concentration save, you might as well note that it's a Con save, otherwise some idiot will try to save with their casting ability.

It should be noted that the material and somatic components for spellcasting can use the same hand.

You can probably cut down some of the examples in the skills column to make it look less crowded.
>>
File: 1457835169033.png (100 KB, 264x289) Image search: [Google]
1457835169033.png
100 KB, 264x289
>>46049635
Is there anything different about the refrence page in all of the versions?

In any case here's my brutal look over after looking at it twice:

Having Spell Casting/Combat have the subsections tabbed/spaced in fairly randomly and yet having no tabs at all in other sections (looking at skills) is rather odd.

The gap between text in the rows for Exhaustion could probably be shrunk, same with Travel Pace. Fairly large, and not used incredibly often by the player themselves (unless they're a barb/ranger, or just a group that pushes their characters hard, or that uses travel pace extensively)

Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence should be about the size of the Conditions if possible, while the skills themselves could maybe be italic, or just slightly larger. All of the Italics are on the left hand side of the sheet, and having the skills be as such could maybe balance that out. That's just me being autistic, though.

It's good overall, though.
I realize you've not got a ton of space in which to work, due to sticking to the same enclosed size as the other sheets, and you've done pretty damn well for having that limitation.

You can somewhat ignore anything you feel is off about this review since I'm going to look again at in the morning, after I actually sleep.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (299 KB, 1184x1536) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
299 KB, 1184x1536
This is my ideal sheet, with languages on the 2nd page and things moved around.
>>
>>46047957
*should have
please tell me english is your second language
>>
>>46049757
>single class resource
I actually can't think of anything outside multiclassing that use two.
Am I wrong in this?

And splitting up inspiration, PP, and proficiency bonus seems irregular when they just go so well together with how they look now, but I really see the point in having (proficiency at least) them be near the top of the sheet.
>tfw just noticed all three are ever so slightly different on the edge of the area to write
oh, that's clever
>>
>>46049635
I mean a box that you can place your maximum prepared spells in, so you know every time without thinking how many spells you can prepare. my players often take a few seconds to recount how many they can actually prepare at mid-level.
>>
>>46048214
Metamagic is actually fantastic; casting a spell as a bonus action is a big deal. (Take quickened spell. You want to.)
>>
>>46049670
The other half-caste, the Ranger, is crippled by a spells known number that, coupled with must take spells that should have been class features, leaves them even more shitty.
>>
>>46049800
>And splitting up inspiration, PP, and proficiency bonus seems irregular when they just go so well together with how they look now, but I really see the point in having (proficiency at least) them be near the top of the sheet.
There's a method to it. Inspiration belongs up near the "combat shit" boxes (hp, ac, etc) since it is gained an lost frequently, and prof. bonus should be above skills and saving throws in my mind, because its used to calculate prof skills and saving throws. First is the bonus, and then below it is the stuff that uses that bonus, having it the other way around seems odd. Passive perception is rarely needed and goes at the bottom. I would even be happy with putting Other Proficiencies where the Armor/Shield box is now, and just extending the Traits and Features all the way to the bottom.
>>
>>46049681
I will work on a spellcaster version tomorrow

>>46049749
Noted. I am going to rework the reference page tomorrow. I agree that travel pace is more of a DM thing.

>>46049757
I don't necessarily agree with these changes, but I am willing to reorganize a one-off and spit out a pdf for special layout requests like this since it is not much work (depending on the amount changed of course) the source illustrator file is also in the zip.

>>46049830
I put the proficiency front and center because it is used for more than just skills. Should be easy to reference for attack and spell bonuses.

>>46049656
Other Items is meant for magic items and things of that nature. Mostly it would be used as secondary equipment space on the first page.

>>46049690
>>46049670
>>46049807
fixed, same url
>>
>>46049830
Hmm, seems what I am describing here is basically the official sheet with bonds/etc moved to the second page, so ignore me I guess.
>>
>>46048214
>Lvl 3 Sorcerer
>Breath Weapon
??
>>
>>46049853
great work mate. This thing is damn near perfect.
>>
>>46049869
dragonborn I guess, but he gets that at level 1. It's probably just a troll since I don't think he answered anyone's responses.
>>
curese ofs tand arrives to say i might scan it when i get home on the 18th if youre lucky and i remeber
>>
>>46049892
Fuck I forgot my umage
>>
>>46049800
Battlemaster gets sup dice and action surge, I think it's nice to be able to write stuff that's one use and so on, like breath weapon or tiefling spells as well. It's more practically useful than even longer feature box, even if I like putting a summary of all my features in that box so it should be sizeable.
>>
Going to sleep, please write any feedback in the google form if you want me to see it

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vGvNuuVuJedatZfbIioz47FWGQBHkHbVKILuN_gyCRc

>>46049757
Here you go, anon.
>>
>>46048356
Action surge gives you an extra standard action in the same turn, for one turn. That's its function.
>>
>>46049917
perfect!
>>
File: 1457493447890.jpg (36 KB, 479x492) Image search: [Google]
1457493447890.jpg
36 KB, 479x492
>>46049892
>Curse of Stand
>>
>just starting with a new group
>ask the Gm yesterday what everyone else has brought him
>neutral evil rogue and sorceror
>lawful evil fighter
>chaotic evil cleric
What do I make to round off the party? This would be my first session of 5e, so I don't know how balanced everything is
>>
File: wew lad.jpg (34 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
wew lad.jpg
34 KB, 550x550
>>46049965
just run while you can senpai
>>
>>46049965
>Evil everyone
Talk to the other players and GM first. Unless everyone is on board with a party of murderhobos, leave. If they are, still talk to them because there's gonna be some weird fucking party infrastructure that keeps your boat afloat.
>>
>>46049989
I know at least one of the players (the cleric) and the GM and they're both pretty good from prior experience, but I'll still ask about it. What would be a good 5th character if I do stick around?
>>
chris perkins doesn't allow evil parties and he is wise
>>
>>46050010
Monk. Perception to catch them stealing from you, Insight to detect their lies, movement to get away from the PvP, and survivability to take the first couple hits. Especially as you approach level 11, Long Death monk could be your best hope for survival!
>>
>>46050010
Something fun? They have the big 4 covered.

Maybe a utility caster, wizard or druid or something.
>>
So a question about things. I'm fairly new to this and wanted to ask on part about something. We're playing in an Oberron setting (myself and 2-3 others) and our Paladin is having a crisis of classes. He is split between multi-classing into a warlock and getting spell bonuses for his charisma modifier (he's tiefling paladin) while still being a tank that does the highest damage during combat. The other guy is a wood-elf warrior and I'm playing a rakshasa rogue (arcane trickster).

My question is, would it even matter for our paladin if he multi-classes? My thinking is it's just extra options to his ridiculous damage output (seriously, we faced an aboleth and he did the same amount of damage as a row of port-side cannons on an airship and smashed the shit out of a gibbering mouther alongside a cleric) and all the bonuses he gets versus the multiple disadvantages that come with it (minimal given how stupid powerful he is right now).
>>
>>46050031
Chris Perkins is wise enough to realize that alignment is dumb, and players should roleplay to a back story, not just *being evil*
>>
>>46050033
>>46050036
Do monks still need lots of stat spread or have they fixed that?
I was considering a neutral bard because I kinda like talky roles, but if monks are worth it might give it a shot
>>
>>46050031
His AMA was shite tho
>>
>>46050010

one would presume a barb.
rip and tear and whatnot.
>>
>>46049989
>lawful evil
>ever a murderhobo
funny joke
>>
>>46050062
Multiclassing correctly is all about timing. What level is the paladin right now?

>>46050068
They're pretty MAD. You need good Dex and Wis to get the most out of your abilities, and Con should be decent. Other than that, though, you're good to dump whatever you want.

>>46050089
>NE rogue and sorc
>CE cleric, presumably death domain
It is an exceptional group if the majority are not. The LE might only be that alignment because the character doesn't want to get arrested if he can help it.
>>
>>46050068
They are more MAD than some other races. Dexterity and Wisdom are the primary stats, and then Con (because everyone loves HP!). If you can get Aarakocra, fantastic! Flight is great. Otherwise, Ghostwise Halfling and Wood Elf are strong races I can think of off the top of my head. Variant Human is always great (just don't take Resilient! Observant is one of my favorite feats to take and could keep you breathing in that party).
>>
>>46050154
birdmonk or bust
>>
>>46050117
I'm just reading through the core PC guide now, liking what I'm seeing so far. Well, if I did go monk, what would be the best path? Classic monk, ninja or avatar? Are there more paths in the other books or are they just modules?
>>
>>46050187
Don't take Avatar. DBZ and death monks are good too.
>>
>>46050117
The paladin is level 4 right now.
>>
>>46050187
open talon birdmonk named Steve
>>
>>46050187
SCAG and have extra race and class options
>>
>>46050208
Which supplement has the arakokra
>>
>>46050221
elemental evil
>>
>>46050212
DMG has extra Teifling sub races. Eladrin subrace and Aasimar
>>
>>46050154
>>46050184
>>46050208
Aren't aarakocra from dark sun or am I remembering things wrong? But shit, could be pretty fun. Which book are they in?
>>
>>46050207
He should go to 5th level pally, because Extra Attack will keep him offensively relevant. After that, warlock MC wouldn't hurt him much, but it would behoove him to only be there for 2 l-3 levels.
>>
>>46050235
oh nevermind
>>46050231
>>
File: Aarkocra.jpg (90 KB, 640x902) Image search: [Google]
Aarkocra.jpg
90 KB, 640x902
>>46050235
They are from 2e dark sun. 5e resurrected divorced from the setting. Also with six limbs. I preferred feet based weapon wielding personally
>>
>>46050235
Elemental Evil Player's Companion (I believe available free at WotC!). +2 Dex, +1 Wis, and a 50 ft fly speed. Depending on your DM, that may or may not be heightened by Unarmored Movement, but it is still worth it even without it!
>>
>>46050244
He said something about the warlock MC only really making a difference when it hit level 3, too. I'm kind of curious, too, because you say Ex Atk will keep him relevant, but dude is basically "Javelin, Javelin, Divine Smite, Sword slash, gg".
>>
>>46050340
Maybe he's looking to poach some cantrips through tomelock
>>
>>46050340
I'm referring to it keeping his threat level from falling off while he multiclasses. You can't reliably Eldritch Blast enemies that are currently in your face.
>>
>>46050360
nigga im looking to poach some eggs
its breakfast time
>>
File: 1457929767020.jpg (62 KB, 396x691) Image search: [Google]
1457929767020.jpg
62 KB, 396x691
>mfw birdmen dont have nightvision
>>
>>46050207
The two most important levels as a Paladin are 2 and 5. If he's four right now he should definitely get another level for Extra Attack. After that dropping two or three levels in Warlock for the extra spells, invocations, EB, etc is good and then presumably the rest back in Paladin?
>>
File: 1456000410933.jpg (33 KB, 480x488) Image search: [Google]
1456000410933.jpg
33 KB, 480x488
>>46050441
>mfw humans don't have natural armor
>>
>>46050340
3Rd level you get your familiar which is a pretty big deal, I guess? The main reason you multiclass Warlock is to get Eldritch Blast and a load of extra spell slots though.
>>
>>46050496
>which is a pretty big deal, I guess?
imp familiar supremacy
>>
File: no.gif (786 KB, 500x238) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
786 KB, 500x238
>>46050496
>choosing chainlock
>not being based tomelock
It's like you want to fail.
>>
>>46050441
Birds generally have excellent eyesight but poor night-vision. Most methods of achieving night-vision decrease visual acuity which most birds cannot afford.

It actually makes me wonder how elves have both excellent eyesight and night-vision
>>
>>46050542
oh
b-but muh owls
>>
>>46050549
Owls rely on hearing more than vision when hunting. Their vision is worse than that of most birds of prey. It actually took us a while to figure that out and often made them difficult for falconers to train.
>>
>>46050568
birdanon bringing the wisdom
>>
>>46050568
w-what about cats
>>
>>46050583
Owls have fleshy ears similar to that of a human.
>>
>>46050382
>>46050496
He chose an Oath of Devotion build instead of going with the Oath of Vengeance w/ symbiotic armor. My guess is he wants the spell slots and EB which apparently he can apply his charisma modifier all over.
>>46050382
He isn't exactly a glass cannon, though. You can't reliably Javelin or DS while an enemy is in your face, either, but he more/less walks through whatever tries to get in his face to begin with.
>>
File: CatVison.jpg (112 KB, 1002x420) Image search: [Google]
CatVison.jpg
112 KB, 1002x420
>>46050583
Cats are partially color blind like most mammals and like everything else with a tapetum lucidum (that reflective layer that causes eyeshine in the dark) suffer a loss of visual acuity in exchange for better night sight.

Humans actually have some top tier vision by mammalian standards (and shit tier everything else), though most birds make our sight look like a joke.

>>46050583
Really the only reason I know this was because I once wanted to know what elf vision would be like from an RP perspective. Turns out elf vision is non-sensical and probably impossible. They may have some way to detect infrared though, which would explain why they have bird-like vision but also good night-vision. Or maybe it's just magic
>>
>>46050688
meant to quote >>46050610
>>
>>46050523
Tomelocks have familiars too, dork.
>>
>>46050688
>elf vision is non-sensical and probably impossible.
I mean we're talking about a thing named after giant fire breathing lizards. I can suspend my disbelief for 60ft of darkvision.
>>
>>46048888
>Play a thief
>Don't get either
What are you doing?
>>
>>46047976
Dip sorc instead.
>>
>Adventurer's League Coordinator is slow as fuck responding to my request to join.
>Will probably not respond in time to play this week.

I just wanna play D&D, man.
>>
>>46047892
Does a rogue still get sneak attack even if the creature is looking right at them but a friendly PC is within 5 ft of the enemy? The book leads me to believe they would but it seems silly.
>>
>>46051417
Yes. Mechanically it's the fact that you can't fight two people at once without leaving an opening. Rogues can capitalize on that opening.
>>
>>46051417
Yes. Don't think of it as being sneaky, think of it as the enemy needs too try and protect itself from two enemies instead of one and you go for the opening to do more damage
>>
>>46051433
Thanks, that makes a bit more sense, the name "Sneak Attack" doesn't really do that description justice.
My fighter and my rogue tend to team up a lot, fighter wades into the fight and rogue throws out sneak attacks left right and centre, always seemed like that's how it should work but "Sneak Attack" threw me.
>>
>>46051473
Right. So big ass fighter swings a huge sword at you. You block with your shield. But while it's raised you feel a dagger in your side.
>>
>>46051511
I don't think I've ever seen a rogue use a dagger. They will always go sword sword x2, rapier, or some sort of bow
>>
>>46051719
My rogue is double-daggers because it fits him.
>>
Hello, I am playing an Intellect Devourer Sorcerer (Psionic, which is just Dragon but stuff like Scales is Psi-Armor and instead of Firebolt I got a EB that deals d8s and has built in 5ft knockback and my "Dragon" element is Force)

The Goblin Jester that I'm currently wearing is probably going to die soon, what is a humanoid race that seems like it might be fun to roleplay to replace the Goblin with that's not overpowered garbage like those bird things with level 1 Flight.
>>
File: TLWLKWE[1].png (752 KB, 456x706) Image search: [Google]
TLWLKWE[1].png
752 KB, 456x706
>>46051903
>>
>>46051719
The advantage is supposed to be that you can both throw daggers and attack in melee with them, but the funky thrown weapon rules generally mean it's not worth it.
>>
>>46051903
>I am playing a homebrew that let's me possess people that exist in our campaign, who should I pick?

Ask your DM who/what you should possess, it sounds like they'd say yes.
>>
>>46050824
Through the Find Familiar spell and not the Chainlock feature. Familiars normally found through the spell don't get the cool options, nor can their familiar attack.
>>
>>46051976
I always forget Kuo-toa exist. Time to be a comical fishman jester sidekick!

>>46051981
>I can't imagine using an ability for fun instead of to ruin the fucking game like a sack of shit

Did you know it's not mandatory to break anything nice someone gives you?
>>
>>46051979
What is it about the throwing rules specifically?
I mean, you may as well carry some darts to throw if you have a free hand.

Actually if you're two-weapon fighting and need to throw something right now I guess a dagger does make sense.
>>
>>46052400
Drawing a weapon uses your interact with an object action, so you can only do it once. You will be left unarmed until your next turn and if you have extra attacks you simply won't have a weapon to use them with. No returning proprety on magic weapons also exasperates this issue.
>>
>>46052494
This makes it seem like an even better idea to TWF with a dagger so you can throw it and draw a replacement during your turn.
>>
>>46052494
>No returning proprety on magic weapons also exasperates this issue.
Why not?
>>
>>46048390

sneak attack only works once a turn anyways.
>>
File: orc paladin.jpg (78 KB, 432x570) Image search: [Google]
orc paladin.jpg
78 KB, 432x570
>>46047918
I also play a half-orc paladin in AL, outlander background. Not going this week because I've got the flu.
>>
Is there yet scans for curse of strahd?
Does someone has the password for the new season Adventurer's Leaue ?
>>
>>46052873
>Does someone has the password for the new season Adventurer's Leaue ?
There isn't one, they're selling it on DMsGuild
>>
>>46047976
>dipping
>5e

lol never change, powergaming children
>>
>>46052494
No, that is an example of things that are done in tandem with your movement and action.

You absolutely can draw weapons out simultaneously and still have your action to throw one, and bonus action to throw the other if you want.
>>
File: 2016-03-16.png (80 KB, 314x124) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-16.png
80 KB, 314x124
>>46052907
If you want to interact with more than one object on your turn, you do have to take the "Use An Object" action. Drawing two weapons counts as two objects, even if done at the same time.
>>
So, the first AL adventure for the new seasion is out there on DMs Guild.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/177576/DDAL401-Suits-of-the-Mists-5e?src=slider_view

If anyone has bought a copy, or got it from their FLGS or something, I'd appreciate an upload so I can add it to the Mega. If it's watermarked, I can remove them before adding them to the Mega.
>>
>>46052777
>>46052907
You can only draw one weapon at a time unless you have the TWF feat.
>>
>>46053021
>>46053000
I stand corrected.
>>
File: VUruMkp[1].png (14 KB, 276x108) Image search: [Google]
VUruMkp[1].png
14 KB, 276x108
>>46052907
You can do it once per turn
>Have dagger in each hand
>Throw one both
>Pull another out
>Next round
>Pull out another
>Throw both
>You are now unarmed and can only pull one out next round
>>
>>46053021
And you're only throwing one dagger.
>>
Making a half-orc barbarian for an upcoming campaign. I want to RP him similar to GW style orcs. Any RP advice or suggestions?
>>
File: 2spooky4lee.jpg (23 KB, 362x372) Image search: [Google]
2spooky4lee.jpg
23 KB, 362x372
>Tfw you can't find a fresh group despite living in >London
>Tfw you will have to start DMing just to get games
>tfw you will never be able to play the game, rather than managing it
sigh
>>
>>46053126
>living in London
Your fault.
>>
>>46053126
>Live in London
>Think I'll try D&D
>Search D&D in London on google
>Click literally the first link
>Get in a group the same week
>>
>>46053208
>already did it
>no new games
>games are all full with 6+ players
>>
>>46053126
Play in an online group, run irl for a new group in the hope of inspiring one of them to learn to gm. It's not hard.
>>
File: 1456965484660.jpg (48 KB, 512x450) Image search: [Google]
1456965484660.jpg
48 KB, 512x450
>>46048214
>this entire post
>>
>>46053120
No, if you have the Dual-Wielding feat you can draw both and throw both if you want, since using the other weapon in any way is a bonus action.
>>
>>46053219
There are open games on Tuesday and Sunday if you want to play with 8+ people
But people drop out fairly often. If you wait around long enough you will get a spot somewhere.
>>
>>46047918
going to be my first time at Adventurers League- playing that is, I went to chargen last week. Fingers crossed I don't get all socially anxious and make a fool of myself.
>>
Okay. Chapter 4 is on its way
>>
>>46053077
Different anon, but the Two-weapon fighter feat allows you to draw both weapons when you would otherwise draw only one. So you'd be correct if they had the feat.
>>
>>46053331
don't fuck up
>>
>>46053421
I probably will.
I picked foul language as a personality trait, but now I'm worried that my unfiltered word choice might get offensive.
I'm worrying for nothing, it's going to be a full table anyway. Maybe noone will notice.
>>
>>46053494
Use plenty of fictional swears, like knife-ear.
>>
>>46053316
To return to the original point, Anon said throwing daggers is generally not worth it. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

For a Rogue who is probably using a Rapier and probably not much else, I don't see why having some daggers around to throw wouldn't be good. I mean, you could use darts instead, but Daggers fulfill the purpose of something you can also wave around in melee, like he said. And a Rogue is likely to swing two weapons in a fight because what else are you using that hand for?

If they have Dual Wielding, well even better. You could throw two daggers if the rare need really arises and still end your turn with two weapons in hand.
>>
>>46053208
>Want to play DnD
>Buy starter kit
>Send message to big group of friends of Whattsapp
>5 people want to play!
>Print out loads of handouts, read rules over and over, watch videos online, buy snacks.
>"Oh sorry Anon, so hungover/ill/busy with work"
>Fine, whatever.
>Send another message out to same group this week
>10 people want to play
>Have to be a bastard and some people not to come :(

I just want to play DnD.
>>
What type of child would spawn from an elf mother and tiefling father?
>>
>>46053618
Drow
>>
>>46053618
A Cambion.
>>
Okay. I just finished the scan of chapter 4. Gotta put them into a PDF. Took me about 30 minutes or so. Maybe 45. So this shit isn't free.

screenshot of a 10$ donation to Children's Miracle Network or Water.org releases the PDF.
>>
I don't GM much, just sometimes, and I wanted to ask: do you think that 5th would be good as a system for a campaign heavily based on combat set on Zendikar with the group being heroes fighting Eldrazi?
>>
>>46053847
Yes, if you are envisioning heroes that will eventually conquer them. If you want a struggle and constant hopelessness, check out Symbaroum.
>>
>>46053847
>do you think that 5th would be good as a system for a campaign heavily based on combat
Nope
>>
>>46053705
Fuck off
>>
>>46053879
10 bucks to either of two great charities.
>>
File: 1427991225509.jpg (100 KB, 600x557) Image search: [Google]
1427991225509.jpg
100 KB, 600x557
>>46053705
>>46053911
>
>>
>>46053847
DnD in general should be pretty good for Magic. 4E might be better than 5E busy by virtue of the latter feeling somewhat more grounded. Be prepared to do a bunch of reflavouring, and you should probably let the character builds define what colours of mana the characters are associated with rather than vice versa.
>>
>>46053618
In 4e, children with one tiefling parent were always full tieflings. In other editions, it's probably also a tiefling, but the fiendish blood gets thinner with each generation of mixed breeding until eventually a tiefling and a non-tiefling have a non-tiefling child.
>>
>>46053911
The book is $30 on Amazon. You're asking for 1/3rd the price of that for one chapter. If people here wanted to pay money for a scan, they would have bought the book and scanned it themselves.

You're not going to get any charity or money from this, anon. Either post it and get anonymous accolades and dick-tugging or shove off.
>>
>>46053979
Okay. Cool.
>>
>>46053979
Other people are scanning other chapters. Don't think of it as 10$ for a scan. Think of it as just fucking donating 10 dollars to either of two really good charities. It's a reason to donate, and once one person does its open. I took the 45 mins to scan the chapter, if someone else takes the time to donate, everyone gets it.
>>
>>46048029
Are there any good collections of good homebrew feats? It seems they're all overpowered or cumbersome garbage.

Or are the default feats good enough?
>>
File: 000836.png (90 KB, 466x564) Image search: [Google]
000836.png
90 KB, 466x564
>>
>>46054075
Those aren't good charities.
>>
>>46054166
Fine. 10$ to a credited charity of your choosing.
>>
>>46054192
Does CoS have new rules for glaives and halberds?
>>
>>46054210
Yes.
>>
>>46054075
Charity donations made by others don't absolve you for spreading the material. Stop being a faggot. If people want to spend money, they will by the book.
>>
How would you guys build Lan from The Wheel of Time in 5E?
>>
File: 1451881524404.gif (443 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
1451881524404.gif
443 KB, 400x296
>>46054225
D-does it have better whips?
>>
>>46053618
A tiefling or a half-elf.
>>
Been thinking about the idea of exploding dice damage. Thought it might be fun to trade base damage for critical strikes, allowing a little more fun in balancing out what weapons you use and giving them a little more character.

These would not remove normal crits (ie: rolling a nat 20) from the game, allowing things like Savage Attacks to still function. Exploding dice would only apply to the full roll (ie: you need to roll 12 with a greatsword, the individual dice don't explode on their own), and exploding dice wouldn't apply to bonus dice (from Sneak Attacks, the extra die of a Nat 20 crit or the extra roll from Savage Attacks for example).

Would you implement such a rule? If you were in a group that used it, do you think you'd be a bit more likely to consider having weapons with multiple damage ratings or be more likely to use weapons some might otherwise ignore (such as daggers and whips)? Do you think spell damage should also follow the Exploding Dice rule?

Glad to hear practical reasons for "no, it sucks" so I can figure out a way to make it more functional or seek a more interesting way to make low damage weapons more appealing to some of the players I know who shun the idea.
>>
>>46053618
A tiefling. Kids of teiflings are always tieflings.
>>
>>46054451
Giving people a reason to use weapons other than the 5 or 6 that get used is completely against 5e's game design.
>>
>>46054488
Virt, pls.
>>
Speaking of weapons, is the greatclub literally entirely redundant when the quarterstaff exists?
Also the mace, which happens to cost several times the amount of a staff for no reason at all?
>>
>>46054451
I'm not sure that I would implement this rule because exploding dice in games I've played that have it work different. In nWoD, for example, your attack roll IS your damage roll, your weapon simply adds to your dice pool. In DnD, the two rolls are separate. In Shadowrun 5e, dice only explode when you spend a resource, Edge, to make them do so. In your suggested rules, the dice would be exploding all the time.

I don't know that I'd be more likely to have weapons with different damage ratings, but I would be more likely to either TWF or use a weapon with two dice in the damage rating (such as the Greatsword over the Great Axe). If you want to implement this specific exploding dice rule, it should be a common rule for everything. Everyone's damage dice explodes.
>>
>>46054527
Yep, along with the trident and glaive/halberd.
5e's weapon system is complete ass. Longsword is also a more expensive battleaxe. War Pick and morningstar as well. Whips are pathetic. And has anyone ever used a light hammer?
>>
>>46054527
I have a feeling they designed a lot of the weapons and their associated costs with fluff and notes from previous editions in mind, without accounting for balance or the implications that their compared values would have on player choice.

That's part of why I want to rehash the system's weapon rules altogether, but that would require forcing players to read more than two lines of homebrew so good luck.
>>
How effective is damage prevention in 5e (reduction/temp hit points/damage redirection)? Is there any way to make a more proactive healer?
>>
Anyone have "DDAL4-01 Suits of the Mists"?
>>
>>46054604
The three DR from Heavy Armor Master is pretty nice, but with how 5e works the damage numbers will quickly become fuckhuge and make any DR or temp hp irrelevant. Resistance is really good though. To be a tank, have really good AC. That's all that matters.
>>
CoS scan when
>>
>>46054577
>or use a weapon with two dice in the damage rating (such as the Greatsword over the Great Axe)
I did say the individual dice don't explode on their own. A greatsword would need both dice to come up sixes, which is going to be a 2.8% chance instead of the 8.33% getting max on a greataxe would give. The trade in mind here being the greatsword's damage is more reliable, but the greataxe is more likely to explode.

I do appreciate the input, though.
>>
What's the best way to do a grappler/brawler? Is it barbarian or battlemaster, as strength monk is impossible
>>
>>46052494
>exasperates
Using big words like you know what they mean, I see.
>>
>>46054661
Barbarian, advantage on grapples is out the window great.
>>
>>46054604
Certain classes like bear totem barbarian or moon druid (wild shape hp is separate from caster hp) thrive on it. I've found in DMing that temporary hit points are less effective than resistance for my players.

As far as being a proactive healer, consider using the ready action to do things like "I cast healing word on whichever party member the ogre attacks next."
>>
>>46054675
To be fair, it does exacerbate the problem of being a thrown weapons expert. Anon just doesn't know what spellcheck is apparently.
>>
>>46054708
Simple solution: When one uses a throwing weapon, they may draw another of the same kind of weapon for free.
>>
>>46054604
All those things are normally done by yourself, from class abilities or casting self buffs. If you want to be a caster that prevents group damage, I think the best way to go is summoner druid or control wizard
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.