[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Song of Swords: Basque Girl is Best Girl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67
File: Eskarne.jpg (2 MB, 3000x4624) Image search: [Google]
Eskarne.jpg
2 MB, 3000x4624
Last Time, on Song of Swords:
A man shoots down a biplane with a rifle
Germanic vs Scandinavian Names
There is no hope left in man
Historical carriage prices
Lore!

Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a .rar archive with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/12xqm1p2q69m392/Song_of_Swords.rar

Here's Ballad of the Laser Whales' latest version: [Redacted-see next post]

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
http://tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: https://app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

The Legend is Dead, but the Second Coming is Nigh
>>
>>46028050
Jimmy, why haven't you finished SoS magic in the downtime?
>>
>>46028524
>that dick bulge
L-lewd.
>>
File: Angelo_Bronzino.jpg (48 KB, 600x763) Image search: [Google]
Angelo_Bronzino.jpg
48 KB, 600x763
>>46028628
It's traditional.
>>
>>46028524
Good question. I'll hold an open design session tomorrow, anyone who wants input into our process can chip in.
>>
Question. Is this game 99% elf fetish or not? I can't help but notice that most of the races are just different flavors of elves. Why do this? Elves are the most boring shit in the world, even Tolkien's friends literally rolled in their seats shouting "not more fucking elves!" during readings of his book.

What is it with elves? Is SoS literally Elf: The RPG?
>>
>>46028831
>Implying you're the real Jimmy and not the Wednesday inpersonator
>>
>>46029594
In Tattered Realms, Elf is really just a category for humanoids that can achieve immortality.

There's lots of neat variations between them all that force them to live their lives and shape their societies in different ways. I'm not really sure why you find them boring beyond your own bias.
>>
>>46029722
And he's not sure why you call them elves.
>>
>>46029875
Well I call them Din actually.
>>
>>46029875
"elf" is a human term within the setting. They call themselves the Din, and many of them consider humans to be Din too, because they look like them.
I think it's actually genius, they could call them fairies just as easily, it'd amount to the same thing.
>>
>>46028831
You've mentioned before that you have songs associated with all of the characters in SoS. What's Drosaico's?
>>
>>46030080
Literally take the most flag-waving American song you can imagine, and then translate it into Zellspeak. Drosaico is an ultra-patriot.
>>
How much strength in SoS does it take to punch through a sternum? Do break bones with hand or leg strikes? Or is it a Str:Tou equation? Does there need to be a giant gap?
>>
>>46030843
A level 5 unarmed wound to the chest is "Severe rib damage, might have a rib in the lung, internal bleeding probable."

So that isn't even a clean punch through the sternum, it's basically a severe rib fracture, which is a bit less severe medically than a level 4 bludgeoning wound. Even so, it's potentially fatal, and causes internal bleeding.

There are no rules for what happens when you exceed a level 5, but if I were GMing, I'd say that every 2 points of damage after a level 5 inflicts 1 level of Bludgeoning on top of whatever the Unarmed wound is.
>>
>>46030949
I'm more interested in how much Str you need to cause these kinds of wounds, because going beyond a level 5 wound with a straight punch can be pathetically easy. I believe Jimmy corrected himself and said the average full-time soldier would have a CP of about 15. At 4/5 Str he could regularly inflict a level 7/8/9 wound(or in your case Lvl 5 Unarmed/Lv1/2 Bludgeon) in a bar fight to someone's chest. Now I'm not expert in fist fighting, or most things really, but he's just inflicted enough pain to immobilize some of the hardest fighters this game can produce. Even before he puts on his brass knuckles or uses a superior straight. I want to know when it goes beyond paralyzing people with immense amounts of hurt and you start ripping peoples hearts out.
>>
File: [Angry basque noises].png (301 KB, 402x500) Image search: [Google]
[Angry basque noises].png
301 KB, 402x500
>>46028050
>Basque Girl is Best Girl
1. Basques are not human
2. Basques do not have sexual parts
3. That's not basque girl, this is a basque girl.
>>
>>46028050
Is that really what a basque girl looks like?
>>
>>46032487
What are Basque noises? Shrieking?
>>
>>46029935
I have a lot of commoners do exactly that in my games. Especially people who live near forests that Ohanedin consider their territory.
>>
Anybody remember a setting called Bagworld that /tg/ came up with?

I've been thinking of using SoS to play that, but the lack of magic is hindering me. Does anyone have any home-brewed magic that they can share?
>>
>>46031320
You don't need any STR value to do it. You can do it with enough CP even with STR 1. You know this already. You also know there's nothing beyond a level 5, so even if you're an optimized Sarturi who can achieve 30 STR, you aren't ripping hearts out. Not mechanically, at least. Since attributes increase linearly, 30 STR should be like three Conans put together. You'll have to houserule if you want something around that.
>>
>>46033958
"Legendary" options for wounds, when a superhuman does damage to mortal.

If it's mortal on mortal, the cap is 5 levels, because of biomechanics and physical limitations of mortal beings.

If there's a man straight from powermetal album cover in the fight, legendary wound levels come into play.
>>
>>46033901
You could try looting Riddle of Steel and Blade of the Iron Throne for ideas. I've been wanting to do some homebrew RuneQuest conversions for a Glorantha game, but I haven't gotten around to it.

>>46033958
>>46034018
I don't think specific rules are needed for this, for the most part. The wound levels are guidelines, as are their descriptions. In cases of extreme damage, it would be pretty easy for a GM to just come up with higher levels on the spot for something like a minmaxed Sarturi.
>>
>>46034018
Is there a need? Level 5 is generally death. The only difference is in descriptions.
>>
>>46034996
>>46034304
What ate you two doing in /SoS/? Y'all don't seem nearly autistic enough.
>>
>>46036270
My autism is directed at arms and armor, not wounds.
>>
>>46036394
Speaking of which, BoB needs to hurry the fuck up and update or they'll be drinking with James Lacombe all night every night from now on.
>>
>>46036975
>Implying those fags can keep up with the Haitan Vacation
>>
>>46038971
I'm convinced he just injects the booze at this point.
>>
Check it out, everyone:
>>46037182
>>
>>46041036
I hope not, that will make tomorrow night and the day after really boring.
>>
File: DisdainForPlebs.jpg (24 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
DisdainForPlebs.jpg
24 KB, 400x462
>>46041943
Amazing.
>>
>>46041943
Where do these people come from?
Have they lived in a bubble their entire lives and never swung anything ever?
>>
>>46032612
This is the first thing that came up in youtube, so I assume it's related
https://youtu.be/o589CAu73UM?t=2m1s
>>
File: 55368779_p2.jpg (861 KB, 565x1000) Image search: [Google]
55368779_p2.jpg
861 KB, 565x1000
Are you a bad enough dude to fight thirty ghosts of whores abortions to save the president?
>>
>>46045827
I...I think so.
>>
>>46046079
Well then get to it, he's not going to save himself.
>>
>>46045827
Why would we do that?
>>
>>46045827
>to save the president
I wouldn't fight a single actual baby to save the president.
>>
File: SarahGizkaAverageDay.jpg.png (590 KB, 960x863) Image search: [Google]
SarahGizkaAverageDay.jpg.png
590 KB, 960x863
>>46046469
He can't die now. He has to live long enough to be Fired by the next president.
>>
File: with more barkley.jpg (50 KB, 550x612) Image search: [Google]
with more barkley.jpg
50 KB, 550x612
>>46046752
Careful, I think that word is trademarked
>>
Searing Enigma Jimmy-han
>>
>>46047703
SEARING ENIGMA TUESDAY

In Osterbija, there is a lord, Mochan Adut, who is the Duke of the Eastern Partition, the border province of Osterbija that includes Tenja.

Often called The Centipede by foreigners, he is known as a savage political animal, a warrior of terrifying strength, and the only man to command the obedience of the Abuslav Clan, who have spurned even the King--but never the Centipede.

But the dark secrets of The Tower, the golden fortress of Duke Mochan, go deeper than mere intimidation. Karthacki Sorcerers, even the universally feared Zoph Escher, have visited that terrible fortress in the mountains, and emerged humbled, and awestruck.

Something is happening in the The Tower, some magical enterprise that Lord Adut does not deny, but equally refuses to elaborate upon. Great shipmets of velvet have been sent to the tower on the lord's order, and many hundreds of young girls have been hired from across the country and beyond as maids in its endless gilded halls. At night, the howl of wolves can be heard in great choruses from the fortress, though the beasts are not native to the high rocky hills where the fortress was built.

None know what Lord Adut seeks, but it must be something big. After decades of nimble navigation through the courts of Osterbija, one thing is certain: The man is a predator.
>>
>>46048066
So how many people has he eaten?
>>
>>46048742
How many times have you eaten bread?
>>
File: 1458112252453.png (320 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1458112252453.png
320 KB, 900x900
>>46048066
>At night, the howl of wolves can be heard in great choruses from the fortress, though the beasts are not native to the high rocky hills where the fortress was built.
>>
>>46048066
TWO
CURVED
HOLLOW
FANGS
>>
>>46049552
PARALYZING VENOM
>>
Thanks, Wraithdt, for providing my next campaign idea.

>An old piece I did back in my IFS days.

>This was an interesting project as I got a unique opportunity to pitch an idea for a TV series. Natural I went for a Medieval theme but with a twist; what if there was a ragtag group of mercenaries made up of warriors from all across the Medieval world (minus the New World). What would they look like and what sort of adventures would they have?
>I did some concept art for the pitch with the help of my ex-colleagues but unfortunately nothing came of it in the end. Still I like some of the artwork a lot so I thought I'd share it here with you all.

>Elena (English archer) and Karl (Rus warrior) protecting some pilgrims against Turkish bandits. From a distance, Jun, a Ming warrior from China, rides to their assistance.

They also have a samurai with them, of course.
>>
>>46050176
That would be the best campaign. Fuckin' medieval multinational A-Team.
>>
>>46050300

>The Freelancer company pitches camp for the night in Cappadocian wilderness. Sophia, the Muslim warrior is saying her evening prayers while Elena, the English archer looks on. Nagahide polishes his katana while Vincent sets up a campfire. The Rus mercenary, Karl is bringing up more fire wood.

Sounds comfy.

I have a soft spot for fish out of water and Warriors From Across Space And Time get thrown into a strange world. I may need to do some kind of Drifters type deal, where a bunch of warriors from across the world are thrown into a world full of bullshit and need to survive.
>>
>>46028050
Just in case BoB guys read this thread, two suggestions for you.

1) Highlight keyword mechanics like follow-up and restraining in maneuver description. If you want to streamline this shit, don't stop halfway. Same goes for SoS.

2) Replace Speed attribute with Courage (affects initiative and combat the same way). All Speed effects are covered by Strength and Agility. Speed is a redundant combat stat. New attribute interacts with edges and flaws you are so fond of.
>>
File: 蛍丸.jpg (164 KB, 600x850) Image search: [Google]
蛍丸.jpg
164 KB, 600x850
Is there anything in Vosca or its waters that cannot be met with stout steel and a good sword arm? Anything that you cannot call up a magician to "cast fireball" as it were? Something you need finesse, and more importantly, knowledge? Things of names and reasons, Of thrice woven flax under the clear sabre of a crescent moon and hawthorn buried at a crossroad? Or would the independent ability of man to survive off naught but himself be considered a selling point?
>>
>>46051669
Zells seem to have a lot of superstitions, and we know that bad influences exist in the sea like in Algenburg. It's very likely that there are other such beings out there.
>>
>>46051669
I remember there being literally a once a month apocalypse when sun doesn't shine and all the horrors beyond come knocking on your door.

Also known as Ravepartytime in Boccyland. Lot's of monsters that have weaknesses, and even monsters that cannot be killed.

Knife demons, undead riders, things that skin you and wear you...

>Or would the independent ability of man to survive off naught but himself be considered a selling point?
It's probably the exact opposite that Jimmy and boyos are going for. You CANNOT survive without the help of others more powerful than you. And you will never become so powerful that you could disregard the monthly armageddon.
>>
>>46051669
How could she walk with that sword?
>>
>>46052804
She doesn't she just rides it like a witch would a broom.
>>
>>46052013
Even the people that deal with the bad things monthly just puss piss off a higher power.
>>
>>46052892
Speaking of witches, are there any in the Tattered Realms? Are they a concern to the Ruvian Church?
>>
>>46056466
They probably consider Sarturi and Silver Guards to be pagan witches
>>
>>46057093
>>46056466
Rogue pyromancers and thaumaturgists would probably qualify.
>>
>>46052013
Does an artillery team count as someone more powerful?
>>
>>4605951
You need the protection of gods. Maybe a really, really big gun.
>>
>>46050512
Go to their forums and tell them.
>>
>>46052804
>>46052892
>She
Close, but for your sake I'm thinking I should correct you.
>>
>>46060435
Eh, gotta be hellenistic about these things. Still would.
>>
>>46060278
I'm not going to do that. First suggestion applies to SoS too.
>>
>>46060526
>I'm not going to do that.
Then don't be surprised when no one acknowledges you.
>>
>>46060435
I pretend I didn't read your post
>>
>>46060562
I'm fine, some of these guys visit /tg/ and this thread.
>>
>>46060517
Good call there.
>>
File: 蛍丸.png (1 MB, 800x1110) Image search: [Google]
蛍丸.png
1 MB, 800x1110
>>46060564
What's the matter anon? Worried my sword is too big or something?
>>
File: Georgy Zhukov with Stalin.jpg (2 MB, 1169x1700) Image search: [Google]
Georgy Zhukov with Stalin.jpg
2 MB, 1169x1700
What legacy will your character leave SoS?
>>
>>46062960
His legacy in that ass
>>
>>46062960
"that which you do not have, can not hurt you"

>>46063046
>in that ass
That's not how you leave a legacy, anon.
>>
File: Rommel.jpg (2 MB, 1169x1700) Image search: [Google]
Rommel.jpg
2 MB, 1169x1700
>>46063046
Only that ass? Don't want to do some more research?
>>
>>46063358
I'd also leave some of my legacy in General Pinochet's ass.
>>
File: Hideki Tojo .jpg (1 MB, 1137x1600) Image search: [Google]
Hideki Tojo .jpg
1 MB, 1137x1600
>>46063397
Shit taste, best girl coming through.
>>
>>46062960
>>46063358
>>46063635
wow why is japan so shit
>>
>>46063358
Oh I've only seen the dictator series, did they do one on generals?

To not make non-content, what's everyone's dream campaign that they want to run in SoS or BotLW?

I really want to run a western about grumpy old farts and young guns banding together to make right in a lawless land.
>>
>>46063860
They put out a sequel that did some generals.
>>>/a/138720892
>>46063704
Don't blame Japan, blame horny NEET's with an interest in history.
>>
>>46063965
Japan is enabling them where instead they should be sent to the gas chambers
>>
>>46063860
I want to run a game where the players are part of a PMC and commit war crimes, and have interpersonal drama about what they're doing. That or exploring the unterzee in a giant bathosphere.
>>
>>46064010
And they enable them because they're whales, and it's profitable to cater to them. Vote with your wallet anon, isn't that the point?
>>
File: Magic_Book_by_iLeeh95.png (866 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
Magic_Book_by_iLeeh95.png
866 KB, 1200x600
https://youtu.be/aEIPfpxFrlg
What is the state of fiction in Vosca? What tales do the poets and skalds envision and spread? Are their stories still rooted firmly in cautionary tales and Aesop's like the original Grimm tales, or are they tales of whimsy and dreams?
>>
>>46065143
I know Dace at least has a thriving theater scene, with one of the more popular series of plays focused on a poirot like detective named Mackarov.
>>
>>46050512
> 2) Replace Speed attribute with Courage (affects initiative and combat the same way). All Speed effects are covered by Strength and Agility. Speed is a redundant combat stat. New attribute interacts with edges and flaws you are so fond of.

Not them but ..what? The strongest dude isn't necessarily the fastest. So it would have to always be agility/athletics for speed.. which also doesn't really make sense given that speed is said to be about fast muscle bursts which have nothing to do agility, which is already covering balance and hand-eye coordination.

And the hell is courage supposed to be? An edge or flaw? What does that even mean?

>Speed is a redundant combat stat.
Is it stated somewhere that speed is supposed to be a combat stat? The only place it comes up in combat at all is in pre-empting.
>>
So has anyone watched 47 ronin? It seems fairly SoS
>>
>>46066473
With the exception of Keanu Reeves' animu zwee fighting bullshit, anyway.
>>
>>46066564
Did someone say Reeves?
>>
File: Based Roland.png (98 KB, 286x741) Image search: [Google]
Based Roland.png
98 KB, 286x741
>>46066764
>Dimicator
Is anyone more based than this man?

https://youtu.be/1or1ErXImBU
https://youtu.be/RKQyH9dO2qU
https://youtu.be/pIXA1F3Wuq8
https://youtu.be/CoLOVxI7bM8
https://youtu.be/xVLuN2FbuuQ
https://youtu.be/AEny5qV1_lM
https://youtu.be/zHIHICGOUHY
https://youtu.be/OiFgzFebSEA
>>
>>46066564
Hey in a movie with kitsune witches and demon moose, I can handle a little tengu gifted fighting magic.
>>
File: RedSamurai.jpg (65 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
RedSamurai.jpg
65 KB, 600x800
>>46067116
Animu zwee fighting bullshit isn't always a bad thing; I'm just pointing out that it's not as fechty as the normal stuff.
>>
>>46065143
A lot of it, actually, Jimmy seems to have an interest in that sort of stuff, and mentions it often. Apparently Karthack has a form of theater that revolves around a set of stock characters each representing one of the castes.

Dace has plays, some of which are really popular abroad, including a series about a detective named Makarov whose arch-nemesis is a thinly veiled satire of Gizka.

Stock characters are actually mentioned a lot, which implies a broad culture of story and theater. I think dwarves have one, where dwarvish shepherds are all really lonely, so they can't shut the fuck up whenever they meet someone, and this has become an exposition trope among humans.
>>
>>46068084
What does this mean, "zwee fighting" exactly?
>>
>>46068320
Flipping about, maybe? I've never heard the term before.
>>
>>46050176
>>46050332
>english archer
I'm imagining Cata-chan with a bow. Being any less huge would be a disservice.
>>
>>46068320
>>46068818
Ridiculously high-speed teleporty blur fighting, like what Keanu Reeves' character does in 47 Ronin. The name comes from a before-Team-Four-Star DBZ parody comic.
>>
>>46069438
To wit: http://zeq2.com/site/files/zwee_738.gif
>>
>>46066892
Not in the fechting scene. The guy is the king. Easton level, but cuter.
>>
File: 36.jpg (35 KB, 150x200) Image search: [Google]
36.jpg
35 KB, 150x200
>>46070526
He's freaking bishie.
>>
File: 1457695416955[1].png (495 KB, 721x995) Image search: [Google]
1457695416955[1].png
495 KB, 721x995
Would you trust a star vampire? Also, how does the Str system work? Is it objective or subjective? Are a Ohanedin 4 and a Human 4 equal? What does each level of strength visually look like?
>>
File: Eskarne Profile.jpg (276 KB, 1638x1193) Image search: [Google]
Eskarne Profile.jpg
276 KB, 1638x1193
>>46071311
STR is supposed to be objective, differences between races are represented by bonuses to the respective attributes. As for score analogues, I usually pictured it something like this:

2 - Goblin average, human youth
3 - Human with a sedentary lifestyle
4 - Human average
5 - Human with a physically active lifestyle (farmer, certain craftsmen, etc.) , average Ohanedin
6 - Human with a physically intensive lifestyle (professional soldier, lumberjack, etc.)
7 - Human with a dedicated strength training regimen (elite soldiers, knights)
8 - Hafthor Björnsson
9 - Fullthor Björnsson
10 - Doublethor Björnsson

In terms of visuals, you can probably extrapolate from that. A thing of note is that Ohanedin in particular gain their relatively increased strength from having a somewhat different muscle structure (similar to chimpanzees, for example) . So for a given strength level, they will usually not appear to be as bulky as a human, since they can do more with the same amount of raw muscle mass.
>>
>>46071311
Strength 4 is supposed to be the average. Or maybe that's Strength 3. Strength 10 I think is the strongest a human could conceivably be.

Ohanedin can climb up a bit higher than that, and your average Ohanedin is Strength 5, which is considerably stronger than the average human.

I'd say that Strength 5 is to Strength 4 what a guy who works out and does regular physical labor is to a regular guy. Strength 8 is the strongest a normal person could possibly get if they were at peak physical ability. Strength 10 is Hafthor Bjornsson, who broke an ancient Viking strength record.

In the original legend, recorded in the Icelandic Sagas, Orm Storulfsson carried a 32 foot long log three steps before his spine broke.

Bjornsson carried it five, and was fine.
>>
>>46071429
>>46071417
I believe the book lists 10 as the human maximum and 13 as the mortal maximum.
Problem is all Ascended and every flavour of Din is Immortal according to Jimmy. In addition to SV's and PE's being more immortal. Poor Non-Ascended, Humans, Dwarves and Goblins. Forever inferior to Din.
>>
>>46071492
Does mortal mean "will die of old age" or "can die", though?
>>
>>46071417
Is that... Her name written next to her?
Is that a signed portrait of Eskarne?
>>
>>46071501
Word of Jimmy, din(and everyone else) count as mortals for the purposes of the ability score table. Mortal here means "Not a god". Dang.
Guess boccy is secretly so ripped you can grate cheese on her abs.
>>
File: 1000px-S1e9_mabel_squee_large.png (140 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1000px-S1e9_mabel_squee_large.png
140 KB, 500x281
>>46071520
<fangirlish squeeing>
>>
>>46071522
Constantly pumping out Silver Guard sprogs will certainly enhance some muscles.
>>
>>46071520
That seems almost out of character. Maybe when she was younger she was proud and self-promoting.
>>
>>46032487
buh buh muh language isolate!
>>
Where is the Croatia of Vosca?
>>
>>46073719
Dace.
>>
>>46028050
Eskarne means "It's meat" in Spanish

pretty accurate
>>
>>46071981
Or it's just some art by the person who originally drew Eskarne.
>>
>>46044500
Holy fuck. Evolution actually has a sense of justice if they died and we lived.
>>
>>46073719
That place next to Dace that the krajini come from. Kalmacia? Its a really fertile set of step terraces.
>>
This isn't a really relevant or meaningful observation, but I really like how initiative declaration is done with a physical object. It sort of focuses the attention of all the players, even if they aren't involved, when you lean forward and start putting things down in a duel. My players have really latched onto the dice themselves. They have little tokens that they use. Two of my players use Magic cards, one uses Yugioh cards, and another uses little plastic animal tokens. Sometimes one guy uses gummy bears. It's kind of cool to see a mini game like that take on so much importance to players.
>>
>>46076843
Why isn't Dace invading them rather than the fucking Mongols?
>>
>>46078719
I would imagine the rest of the world would not look favorably upon Dace, the uppity little shits that they already are. Dace starts trouble, and big boys come into play because nobody messes with the big shots up in the floating city.

Maybe if someone powerful would back them up, then it might get interesting...
>>
>>46078719
>>46078830
I'm pretty sure Jimmy elaborated on that at some point. But I have no idea if and where that stuff is archived.
>>
>>46078867
I think it's surrounded by mountains or sometihng
>>
>>46078867
There's the wiki in the OP, or 4plebs our current archive.
>>
>>46078719
Kalmacia is a mountainous place, and generally features very narrow terrain. Terraces hewn into the a hillside are a very common feature. Their military doctrine has evolved to lean on that, making heavy use of pike blocks and phalanxes. Basically invading them is like invading ancient greece, except there's a Thermopylae around every corner.

Naturally, that's pretty much poison for Dace's primary doctrine of light infantry and light skirmishing cavalry. Besides, the fertility of Kalmacia means that it's probably reasonably wealthy, and has ready allies that rely on it for food supply as well.
By comparison, the steppe may be a more hostile and less fruitful place, but by and large it's actually pretty empty. You can pretty much walk in there and just up and claim tracts of lands without anybody there to stop you right away. Sure, occasionally you have not-mongol raids, but those tend to be isolated forces with no unifying strategy or leadership behind them. Last but not least, no other major country has any particular interest in what happens in the steppe next to Dace, so there'll be minimal diplomatic repercussions.
>>
>>46079405
>>46078719
Also Dace imports most of its food from Kalmacia, so they would almost immediately have a famine if they invaded.
>>
>>46078719
They import food from them. Apparently that didn't stop them, though, there's recent lore about Dace losing a war to them, during which the war basically ground down to trenches and the Dacians eventually lost momentum and had to withdraw.
>>
>>46080838
>>46079652
Still seems easier than trying to farm the Steppes.
>>
>>46081675
And Germany thought it would win by Chritsmas. We don't actually have enough information to determine whether it is more efficient to attack their food bowl, or try and turn a mountain range into terraced paddies of rice.
>>
>>46078719
>>46081675
You must remember that taming the steppe is Dace's Plan A.
It that were to fail, Plan B is said to be "Bullrush Kalmacia, & Whatever Happens, Happens".
>>
>>46082130
This is fucking adorable.
>>
File: 1451162641666.png (326 KB, 564x800) Image search: [Google]
1451162641666.png
326 KB, 564x800
So if you were to implement bionic augmentations and other cybernetics to Ballad, how would you do it? Would you do it all, or do you think it would clash too hard with the setting?
>>
>>46085077
Porting in Burd prosthetics wouldn't be too difficult mechanically. Fluff wise?

I guess they could be loot from the wreck of a zellislava. Oh, the fun the various factions' scientists would have trying to reverse engineer them.
>>
>>46085077
>Jimmy has literally been playing Deus Ex for the last 48 hours
I WONDER WHO COULD BE BEHIND THIS POST
>>
File: 1455747636611.png (271 KB, 550x557) Image search: [Google]
1455747636611.png
271 KB, 550x557
>>46085136
I had more meant what kind of cybernetics would you want in your own Ballad? Old Deus Ex, where it's virtually indistinguishable from normal limbs, or New DX, with Jensons obviously robot arms and sick shades? Or would you want automail perhaps?

Personally I think I'd go for about Stroheim from JJBA Part 2: Battle Tendency, given that A) He's a Nazi and is made with Nazi superscience and B) I like the aesthetic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ihIJ1UZAVk
>>
>>46085502
I think Automail would be best. Fits ballad's aesthetics, and is fairly limited while still being cool as shit.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (176 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
176 KB, 1280x720
>>46085791
>called automail
>is not in any way mail
>>
File: jin roh.jpg (293 KB, 737x1339) Image search: [Google]
jin roh.jpg
293 KB, 737x1339
>>46086036
>mail
>used interchangably with "armor" (ie scalemail, platemail, banded mail)
>automail = autoarmor

Keep crying bitch knigga
>>
>>46086197
>used interchangably with "armor"
Only by ignorant savages who have no place in this thread.
>>
File: this.gif (243 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
this.gif
243 KB, 500x281
>>46086541
>>
>>46085502
>sick shades
Always the best choice.
>>
>>46086874
this is the single most tumblr gif I have seen in a long time.
>>
File: 8f5.png (328 KB, 500x529) Image search: [Google]
8f5.png
328 KB, 500x529
>>46087341
I dunno, I think this one pretty much encapsulates the whole tumblr experience.
>>
Is Voscan or Ballad magic capable of matter phase transition, and if so, is anyone aware of how to do it?
>>
>>46087562
As in Star Trek transporters?
>>
>>46087992
As in Liquid>Solid>Gas>Plasma
>>
>>46088210
Well, Pyromancers and Paladins are capable of creating and manipulating fire and heat. So just apply that to whatever offends you and sooner or later it'll probably become gaseous.

But apart from that, I don't think anybody knows how to directly achieve phase transition without going the roundabout route of adding/extracting heat.
>>
>>46088283
Thaumaturgists can make their bodies living lead. If anyone is up to it it's them.
>>
>>46088283
>>46088749
I just realized I was hoping for Jimmy-han to answer, but then I remembered what day it is.
>>
>>46086541
By the actual period sources you fool.
>>
>>46087370
That's not even a gif, pooplord.
>>
File: tumblr_mlbm7sJqGc1qb7j9wo1_500.gif (998 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlbm7sJqGc1qb7j9wo1_500.gif
998 KB, 500x281
>>46085502
Chironite Medical Science is the greatest in the world!
>>
>>46089424
I was under the impression that only mistranslations did so, like in the KJV and Goliath's armor. Do you have any examples?
>>
>>46088869
He said there would be a magic post too.
>>
>>46094231
>believing Jimmy's lies
>>
File: Jimmy Rome's Promises.jpg (81 KB, 640x365) Image search: [Google]
Jimmy Rome's Promises.jpg
81 KB, 640x365
>>46094328
>>
>>46086541

Misguided, they are just misguided...
>>
>>46096080
More of this got translated?
>>
File: QuickStart_03_023.jpg (158 KB, 800x1204) Image search: [Google]
QuickStart_03_023.jpg
158 KB, 800x1204
>>46098958
It's in vol. 3 already; slow, but steady.

http://imgur.com/a/3b2qh/all
>>
File: QuickStart_03_024.jpg (158 KB, 800x1253) Image search: [Google]
QuickStart_03_024.jpg
158 KB, 800x1253
>>46100045
Too many details, Fumi, dear. Too. Many. Fucking.Details.
>>
File: QuickStart_03_025.jpg (174 KB, 800x1275) Image search: [Google]
QuickStart_03_025.jpg
174 KB, 800x1275
>>46100134
>not sure if creepy
>>
>>46100191
Fumi starts to feel more and more like Jimmy, if Jimmy was a little japanese girl.
>>
>>46100356
I thought Jimmy *was* a little japanese girl.
>>
>>46100416
A little middle aged black japanese girl?
>>
So dead
Just let it die, boys
>>
>>46081675
They actually seem to have a pretty good plan for the steppe. A bunch of little forts and light cavalry to provide cover for people just trying to cultivate the land.
>>
>>46102445
>steppe
>little forts
>light cavalry
>people

cossack waifus ahoy!
>>
>>46102845
That mace is yuuuge.
>>
>>46104795
That's not the only thing
>>
>>46104795
And the musket is so small.
>>
>>46105457
But her trigger has quite the size!
>>
>>46105042
The trousers! You're talking of their trousers, right?
>>
>>46105600
Yeah that drop crotch is Kanye tier
>>
>>46102845
What's the name of the Dacian Cossack cavalry knock offs?
>>
>>46107270
Volkodavs.
>>
File: hulk von hogan.jpg (204 KB, 791x1295) Image search: [Google]
hulk von hogan.jpg
204 KB, 791x1295
I've been away for a while

Has grappling been fixed/improved yet?
>>
>>46108706
They released a big grappling update a while ago. How long have you been gone?
>>
>>46108718
Haven't posted regularly in say, 8 months. I'm aware of all the Laser Whales releases but being one of the historyfags, isn't my main area of interest, even if it is awesome
>>
>>
>>46109032
Thank ye kindly serf
>>
>>46108759
It's gotten a lot better, now it sort of works like Hilt Push, where maneuvers roll against each other instead of independently.
>>
>>46109450
It all works with every other maneuver now, too.
>>
>>46110646
Yeah, it's much better. Someone really did good work.
>>
Does anyone have the Grue stats?
>>
File: Grue.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Grue.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46110897
For once, my obsessive .pdf hoarding pays off.
>>
>>46110932
God, those things are scary
>>
>>46113577
Yes, I think that may be the point.
>>
File: GRUE.png (232 KB, 1308x935) Image search: [Google]
GRUE.png
232 KB, 1308x935
>>46110932
...how horrifying...
>>
>>46115029
Don't mind me, imma just NOPE the fuck on outta here.
>>
File: How_Spooky.webm (682 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
How_Spooky.webm
682 KB, 1280x720
>>46115029
>>
>>46115029
Excuse me, just posting my life's BGM atm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nigRT2KmCE
>>
File: 1433304351818.jpg (62 KB, 620x354) Image search: [Google]
1433304351818.jpg
62 KB, 620x354
>>46110932
>Average Grue has 25 CP
>>
>>46115918
>Grues do not suffer Pain. Grues do not suffer Bloodloss. Grues suffer Half Shock from all
sources. Grues cannot be poisoned. Grues are only killed with damage results that cause instant Death.
>>
File: Let_go.jpg (34 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Let_go.jpg
34 KB, 800x450
>>46110932
>>46115918
>>46115978
>Zoph Escher has three
>>
>>46116425
It's a fun setting.
Remember to enjoy the monthly apocalypses.
>>
>>46117974
Hey, hey, it isn't an apocalypse. Only pagans and vagabonds get eaten during the Eclipse.
>>
In more general SoS-related news, I've recently stumbled over a youtube channel from a guy testing various arms and armour against each other. It's not what I'd call perfectly scientifically thorough, but so far I haven't seen any major blunders on his part. More importantly, he puts a pretty big focus on testing for through-armour effects like broken bones or bruising on non-penetrating hits, which seems like a pretty rare thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9eCzG8AAoQ
>>
>>46119163
He's using pre-damaged armor, which from my understanding quite significantly lowers its protective qualities. I'm also not sure of the quality of that claymore. Who made it, whether it's an accurate model, etc. Other than that, he seems better than most cutting testers.
>>
File: dacia.jpg (610 KB, 1280x1504) Image search: [Google]
dacia.jpg
610 KB, 1280x1504
>>46102445
also, volkodavs.
DACIA STRONG!
>>
>>46119163
Two major issues;

1. Butted maille. More generally the kit is off-the-shelf reproductions of dubious to middling quality, but the use of butted maille shatters any disbelief that this is an attempt at simulating equipment of the era. Reproduction weapons against reproduction armour that do not closely match the originals in materials or design is fun but tells us nothing useful about historical perfomances.

2. Big wind-up blows against a static target. This is not very representative of most battlefield conditions.

Yes I am an autistic curmudgeon, but treating this kind of amateur mucking-about as anything other than entertainment with a historical veneer is a mistake. It is by no means the worst of it's kind and the chap seems to be reasonably knowledgeable but accurate testing this is not. Someone with a better grasp of 15th century equipment could probably poke far more holes in the specifics than I could.

If anything can be taken away it is that actual historical items are unlikely to preform significantly worse than the knock-offs used in these tests but that really doesn't help us understand how the originals actually behaved.
>>
>>46119163
Thrand is cool, I can't believe that SoS doesn't already know about him.

>>46119353
>Who made it
Medieval Shoppe, he says it like 60 times. They are ok, he does a lot of videos with their stuff.

>>46120427
They test different kinds of strikes in other videos and the full power blows provide a consistent baseline. Accuracy vs precision. The channel is modern, sure, but still better than television shows with million dollar budgets.
>>
>>46122106
We've seen thegnthrand plenty around here. He's entertaining, and does stuff no one else does, but several grains of salt are needed.
>>
>>46124348
Well, yeah he's literally doing it in his backyard.
>>
>>46122106
I was tangentially aware of him, but I never watched a lot of his stuff.
>>
>>46115029
I think it's cute.
>>
File: hehehehe spoopy.png (870 KB, 873x596) Image search: [Google]
hehehehe spoopy.png
870 KB, 873x596
>>46113577
>>
>>46119775
>>46102445
That's more or less how the Russians did it, eventually. As it turns out, no number of guys on horses can knock down a sturdy building, so if you just build gorillions of blockhouses all over the place, you can basically shut down raiders.
>>
In Drosaicofecht, Drosaico's kid mentioned that they had put horse hair in the cut he got on his face when practicing. Is this a folk cure or something? Also, where did Zells get horse hair?
>>
>>46129975
killed a poor, honest farmer and butchered his horse, of course

those watery scum
>>
>>46129975
It's probably a reference to academic fencing. Back then getting scars in duels was considered manly, and to make sure the scars showed up, they would rub horse hair in the wound, so that it didn't heal well.

That kids are doing it is pretty fucked up though, I guess ritual scarification is sort of a thing with the Zells.
>>
>>46126965
Let me reiterate my previous sentiment.
>>
>>46130116
Isn't ash used for that as well?
>>
>>46133070
I've always heard that dirt is packed in to make it more visible. Maybe ash too.
>>
>>46130116
It depends on the kind of scar you want. Ashes will cause keloids, which tend to be very raised from the skin and prominent. Horse hair or wine , or other acidic or abrasive substances will create a crevice or a "lowered" scar.
>>
>>46129975
Rade Sark decided that tattoos were degenerate, so he outlawed them among his people.

However, Zells place high emphasis on visual ques of status, so he first developed uniforms to convey rank, and then grudgingly condoned the veneration of scars and other war trophies among his men.
>>
>>46133954
What about tattoos in the rest of Vosca?
>>
File: Shenwoo-kofXIII.jpg (170 KB, 478x1004) Image search: [Google]
Shenwoo-kofXIII.jpg
170 KB, 478x1004
Is there anyone alive who rivals King in his ability to fight without weapons, and secondly; are there any humans who can do so? Or has King reached that peak, and is the reason he now fights armed and armored soldiers?
>>
>>46032593
If it is, I need to plan a holiday in Spain sometime soon.
>>
>>46133954
>Rade Sark decided that tattoos were degenerate
So is Rade Sark just /pol/ incarnate?
>>
>>46136643
Unlikely, Sark has actually contributed something to his society.
>>
>>46135058
If the lioness in Laser Whales is actually Eskarne, that would imply that she is a really high level unarmed fighter, so maybe she's as good as he is. He's probably at the peak of human capability, though.
>>
>>46136643
Sark is Hitler if Hitler fell in love with Anne Frank.
>>
>>46134310
They're popular among most Zells, and human sailors often emulate this for good luck. It's also considered very pious to get a tattoo of a stylized sun somewhere on one's body among Genosians, since it's very painful and labor-intensive.
Dessians also do it, but more for aesthetic reasons, and they're more likely to get tattoos that people actually see.

Dace in general views tattoos very negatively, because they were often tattooed during their time as slaves. The Orredin couldn't be bothered to recognize their faces, and so tattooed obvious ques as to their jobs on their faces, so that they could be quickly identified and ordered about.

These days, the only inkwork that is sanctioned in Dace,is the mandatory practice of tattooing the "humor type" of a soldier on his arm, just above the bicep. That way the surgeons know what to do with him if he is injured. This has become a sort of badge of honor among veterans.

Dwarves also make great use of tattoos, particularly to identify friends of their clan. Humans who are Dwarf-Friends are often given intricate tattoos that identify them to other dwarves, allowing them to access and trade with various Holds. Dwarvish "inkweavers" are widely considered the best in the world, even by Zells, who invented the art.
>>
>>46135058
King is pretty much at the peak, but there are people (many of whom work for him) who are about equal to him. His prize students are Duke and Banner, who have each mastered one of the Six Styles of King--Emoting Bobcat and Vengeful Sugar Glider, respectively.
>>
>>46139425
Cue: a signal
Queue: a waiting line
Que: what?
>>
>>46140455
I remember that like five months ago you Soon'd us with a King fecht. What happened ot that?
>>
>>46140499
Jimmy: an alcoholic
>>
>>46140513
The problem arose that revealing the "real stats" of a mid-level character at this point is unrealistic. There's so much uncharted space at this point, I didn't want to explicitly spell out the capabilities of such a character. Sort of for the same reason why the Gizka Fecht has never continued.
>>
>>46141133
>King
>Esoterica: YOU F*CKING LOSE
>>
>>46141436
>Omae wa mou shindeiru
>>
>>46141133
>20 proficiency
>mid-level
Huh?
>>
>>46143979
If you played and got enough Arc you should be able to get 10s in all stats and 20 prof and 10 in all your skills. If you're just a terrorhobo like King then you're not high level
>>
>>46144049
Yeah, and you can grind item levels infinitely in Disgaea, but the game isn't balanced around item level 999 either.
Because PCs could theoretically become the best at everything doesn't, well it shouldn't, mean that someone who is literally the best at his job is only "mid level."

It feels like bad design.
>>
>>46144505
If you don't grind like that you'll never beat P. Baal though.
>>
>>46144505
There's a weird mindset I've seen where people think Strength 7+ or other combat stats at similar levels should be expected for most PCs. I still think it's way too easy to reach the upper tier of stats, especially in character creation. You don't need to particularly sacrifice anything or take hits in other areas to be Strongman McStrong, Lord of Strongheim And All Its Surroundings at character creation.

I'd like the attributes to scale more sharply in cost past 6 or so, but Jimmy doesn't seem to consider this a big issue.
>>
>>46145420
I agree, the exceptional has to actually be hard to reach or it just becomes mundane.
>>
>>46145420
Yes. That, along with the utterly disappointing treatment of skills at chargen, are actually pretty big issues to the game's design right now.

I also nurse a grudge against anyone and anything that believes that armor has no benefit against falls and explosions.
>>
>>46143979
Maybe he's talking about setting wise where you have grues, star vampires, whatever Zoph Escher cooks up, and legions of boccy's kids to deal with.

Not to mention artillery teams, cavalry charges, pike squads, and random fucks with grenades.
>>
>>46146691
>If you played and got enough Arc you should be able to get 10s in all stats and 20 prof and 10 in all your skills. If you're just a terrorhobo like King then you're not high level
>>
>>46143979
Don't think too hard about that.
>>
>>46147637
It's too late for that, bucko.
>>
>>46146728
We aren't in disagreement. You'd have to get that good to single handedly take on a lot of stuff in the setting.
>>
>>46146531
Explosions I'm with you on, but I'm not sure how it'd protect all that well against falls.
>>
>>46147779
That's what parties are for, I guess. So you don't need to rely on single handedly.
>>
>>46148282
Assuming it is rigid armor, if you land with a limb extended it would absorb a lot of energy. If is is soft, well then you land on something soft. The usefulness of armor against explosives is incontestable, the only thing that you might want to question is how many explosives you may actually face.
>>
How would you do a Kingmaker-type game in Ballad of the Laser Whales? For Vosca, it seems to be as simple as playing a fief or duchy and his/her court in a country, or an independent minor kingdom along the frontier.
>>
>>46148802
Yes, and?
>>
>>46149589
Rahoo is made up of a bunch of different nations, right? Then the CIS is commonwealth of independent stayes. You could do a single Unity ship, or a small island run by the free void sailors.
>>
>>46147779
>you're not high level unless you can solo immortal beings
What is this, D&D?
>>
>>46149166
Fair enough.

Hell, in World War I they tested the effectiveness of chainmail against modern weaponry. Found it was worse than useless against bullets, but actually really effective against explosive shrapnel.
>>
>>46150408
In terms of the setting, I would say so, and I listed a lot of shit that wasn't immortal. Even King is going to have a hard time walking away from a squad of musketeers.
>>
>>46150812
>>46149166
>>46148282
Isn't that helmets primary function? Protection from shrapnel?
>>
>>46150834
I think you're misunderstanding something fundamental about the setting. Just because it exists doesn't mean you're supposed to be able to kill it.
>>
>>46150834
>Even King is going to have a hard time walking away from a squad of musketeers.
That's the point of the game, though? Weapons kill people dead.
>>
>>46150852
Helmets' big function was to protect against debris falling after artillery explosion, and also shrapnel. Chainmail visors were used to protect the face itself against shrapnel to great effect.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.