[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why wizards of the coast hasn't made a MTG RPG yet ? the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 2YqKOTz.png (229 KB, 1200x807) Image search: [Google]
2YqKOTz.png
229 KB, 1200x807
why wizards of the coast hasn't made a MTG RPG yet ?

the settings and the planes are great and offer a lot of possibilities and adventures
>>
>>46006641
Because it would compete with D&D which they already own.
>>
>>46006641
Homebrew that yourself, or do you lack the imagination ?
Also
>MTG
>Lore meant to be taken seriously
>Setting not all over the place
>>
>>46006728
>Homebrew that yourself,
why would he do that?

when there's THIS...

it even runs on some of the same mechanics that the cards also run on...

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Magic:_the_Gathering_RPG
>>
>>46006641
Because the Magic and D&D sections might as well be different companies.

They likely keep them as separate as possible on the off-chance that one of them gets sold off. Dealing with IP ownership on that scale would be a nightmare.
>>
>>46007097
>Dealing with IP ownership on that scale would be a nightmare.
I say this with little idea of how that works....

but can't they retain the rights for things like that? like how the company that makes Dark Heresy isn't GW?

or how one producer can own MARVEL, but others can produce movies featuring MARVEL characters?
>>
They did. It was called Everway.
>>
>>46006641
Because it takes talent to write an RPG book.
>>
>>46006641
Because it would literally be D&D 3.X.
>caster supremacy
>the way you select options from your collection strongly influences your success
>buying boosters to get your hands on new options
>scouring the internets for the new hotness in builds
>>
>>46007532

Ackshuallly, it would probably be more appropriate to just steal Ars Magicka's concept, and just make the RPG about wizards doing wizard things.
>>
>>46007564
They did that too!
>>
>>46007532
...or you could build something akin to a Shadowrun style martial adept...

magic to aug yourself and others for really really punchy combat..
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 600x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 600x720
Magic decided to instead invest into a board game bro.
>>
>>46007097
Not really. Look at OGL. The mechanics of the game are open, but all the creative assets are Wizards' property. They can sell both, but with a clause that allows them to retain access to mechanics of the game for their existing IP.
>>
>>46007620
comments on quality of play versus price?
>>
>>46007639
It's very intensive at times (might just be my group) and has very balancing color pies just like the card game. Has both the strategy of board state and some of the charm from there being spells the players can use. Also it's only $23 (a little more than trash traditional board games like monopoly) and the expansion basically doubles the number of avaliable planeswalkers for only $20
>>
>>46007620
The bits in the game are pretty top tier when you consider the price. Each of the monsters has a unique mold (as in three copies of the same monster will have three different models) and the walkers themselves are painted (poorly, but painted). The board is modular and customizable. Just buying the box for its bits isn't a bad investment if you want stuff like that.

As for the actual game it not a shit tier board game but I wouldn't call it "good". The game does not reward aggression in any way. The last person to attack is usually the winner and aside from that there are some pretty glaring balance problems in the game, such as how bad green is. For $20-30 you can do a lot worse though. If it cost $100 like other games with similar bits I'd probably be a lot harsher on the gameplay. For what it is it's an interesting casual diversion.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (98 KB, 676x865) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
98 KB, 676x865
THAT WHERE IT WENT
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/30796548/
AND THE BOOK
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h2fjsshsz4zsncd/MTGRPGUNFINISHEDV02.pdf
>file too large to post directly....
SHIT!

>>46007695
cool, I may give it a casual purchase if I ever see it in the Nobel Barnes when I'm in town.

the RPG in this post seems to work well, players are planeswalkers, there are attributes
>Power, Toughness, Life, Mastery, Channeling, Speed, Focus, Memory.
that correlate directly to the cards, every player has a "library" that shuffles at random, the "memory" stat is the max Hand Size. you can attack directly with power and toughness, I forget if Mastery or Channeling represent your mana pool(uncoloured) for the purposes of the game, you have certain "colour identity(ies)" that represent your coloured mana pool. colour affinities corelate directly to certain stats.

latest addition is rules for "overcharging" where you temporarily double your mana at a pretty steep risk.

and you can of course buy keywords for your character with experience points, such as Trample, Defender, Flying, Deathtouch, etc...

skills are rolled on d6 pools based on your colour identities(see above)...
>Black+Blue - Subtlety and Deception
>Black+Green - Resourcefulness and Survival
>Black+Red - Intimidate and Overpowering
>Black+White - Thievery and Appraisal
>Blue+Green - Innovation and Understanding
>Blue+Red - Creativity and Crafting
>Blue+White - Diplomacy and Bargaining
>Green+Red - Athletics and Animal Handling
>Green+White - First Aid and Healing
>Red+White - Inspiration and Leadership
>>
>>46006641
WotC was planning on making a MtG setting right when they bought TSR, but scrapped it halfway through.
>>
>>46012202
>a MtG setting
I may be incorrect, but isn't the MtG universe just a big pile of various heights of fantasy all stapled together by the planeswalkers?

you could do that a lot of different ways.
>>
How is it any different than Dark Sun D&D in any way (at least if you have read the Arena series of books, which posit Vancian magic "marbles" and mana sucking the life out of land you have personally visited and "tagged")
>>
>>46013834
Dunno, I don't play Magic, but rumor was, they were working on a MtG themed setting/system that was then overhauled as D&D 3.0
>>
I think Hasbro has some internal rule against crossovers. I remember back when I was into transformers they distinctly forbade GI Joe from crossing over with Transformers in mass market merchandise. Fiction was okay but for whatever reason actual toys were right out.
>>
Maybe it's because WotC can't even make a good version of the RPG they are famous for. Why taint Magic's good name by giving it to the devs who brought us 5e?
>>
>>46021713
if you worry that much for it then you should damn well, make up your own...or take >>46007879 and finish it.
>>
a talented /tg/ writer could make a quest based on that ravnica waifus pic circulating around. Would be pretty cool.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.