[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know this isnt /lit/ but, what are you writing /tg/ Pic probably
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 39
File: donut steel.jpg (4 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
donut steel.jpg
4 KB, 275x183
I know this isnt /lit/ but, what are you writing /tg/

Pic probably related
>>
>>45998128
Pretty standard fantasy schlock set a hundred years after a Legion of Cato-Loyal Romans land on a planet that is basically a connecting point for everything in the universe and got into a fight with a bunch of Elves who act like particularly aggressive proto-gauls that cursed them to never bear female children, forcing them to go on constant conquest for women into elven land. The book focuses on their second war with the only Human kingdom they've ever encountered in a bid to get back the legionary standards they lost in the first war.

Really though, it's all a backdrop to a romance novel.
>>
File: grinch_grin.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
grinch_grin.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>45998128
For better or worse, mostly stuff catering to my magical realm. It's not really THAT smutty though, the focus is more on the plot. The realm is just extra motivation.

I've also decided to start writing out my character backstories for PnP games as little vignettes.
>mfw the first backstory subtly involves my magical realm
I mean, I didn't intend for it specifically, it just kinda happened.
I'm a horrible person.

>>45998985
>Pretty standard fantasy schlock
>set a hundred years after a Legion of Cato-Loyal Romans land on a planet that is basically a connecting point for everything in the universe
I don't follow.
>>
>>45998128
Against my better judgement, fanfiction.
>>
>>45998128
City state that worships sex gods in fantasy world achieves WW1 levels of technology and is crushing all adjacent countries with vastly superior technology.
>>
>>45999857
Of?
>>
Weird West stories about a necromancer who's down on his luck taking odd jobs to get by. I plan on writing about ten or so of them and then throwing the collection up on Amazon for a buck to see if I get any bites.

First story's about as done as it's going to be. Tripping up on the second story, not sure what direction to take it in.
>>
>>45998128
This post
>>
I call it Transexual Witches in Heat.
>>
File: 1004.png (61 KB, 576x507) Image search: [Google]
1004.png
61 KB, 576x507
Trying to desperately to write get into writing horror stories after a year-long block, and then when I do write, I try desperately not to hate what I do write and invariably fail.
>>
>>45999945
You ever heard of Drunkard's Walk? It's about a superhero who travels to various worlds (such as Bubblegum Crisis and Harry Potter), with each story being a 'step' on his journey home. It's a good read.

I'm thinking of doing something similar, but with an average man (named John Q Self Insert) who becomes progressively more super/crazy/super crazy as each story wears at him. For the first few stories, he is just mortal, but he later gets powers and tricks to make up for being made out of paper mache compared to everyone else.

For example, the second step of the journey will take place during Diamond is Unbreakable. John Q doesn't get a Stand, but still ends up making it through Stand battles by being witty and resourceful.

Does that sound like something anybody here would be interested in reading?
>>
>>45998128
I am currently playing around with a retelling of nordic mythology which should hopefully end up as a setting for my group.

I have no awesome picture.. but if I did it would be a pic of a golden chick since that is what Sif is written as.
>>
How do you get in the mood to write smut /tg/?
>>
>>46000357
The only way to not hate what you write is to continue writing until you love it, dont give up anon
>>
>>46000403Y
You gotta be kinda horny, but not so horny that you just rub one out and move on. It's a weird feeling.

>>46000415
This is always tough. Things usually sound good when you write them, then when you go to edit or continue the next day you realize how dumb/gross/amateurish whatever you wrote is and it kills all of your motivation to keep going. This is why getting positive, if critical feedback is huge for a lot of writers. Otherwise you just have to ignore your shittyness until you git gud.
>>
40k alternate timeline set in what would be the 30k era, where the Horus Heresy didn't happen, the Emperor disappeared somehow centuries ago, the human webway was finished but somehow managed to accidentally fuck everyone up with Chaos taint, Astartes make much more use of human serfs and auxiliaries, humans and xenos are farther integrated but tensions are still hostile, and characters have some meta-awareness of the timeline fuckery. Basically an excuse to make a blatant self-insert and canon ship her/myself with Konrad.
>>
Something dumb that like probably 99% of /tg/ related literature hasn't gotten beyond a couple of notes planted in a word document

I wanted to write a sci-fi that doesn't include humans, and that was appropriately alien. Like it's completely without blue humans or humans with shit glued to their heads and populated by creatures who don't fit the standard mold. Was tossing around the idea that the main character was from a species of cephalopod like creatures who developed sentience.

The mc (whatever he would end up being) would also be distinctly non-action but stuck in action situations with action people. He'd use the skills he had but mostly would just have to fight really cheap a lot just to not die. Like I'm picturing him getting into a gun fight with a trained soldier where he has perfect cover, surprise, and he cut off all of the atmosphere in the room...and still nearly gets killed because he missed with his only easy shot.

The problem I'm running into (besides laziness, which lets be honest is the real problem here beyond maybe my idea being shit) is that it's really hard to THINK alien on account of being, well, human. All of the aliens I think of aren't that unique they're cephalopod people or beast people or overly resemble an existing alien in some way. Plus with the whole no humans aspect I have to think a lot more about technology and terminology: What would some space squid engineer say when he means what to us is Joules, and how would I convey that Shmerples actually means Joules without a short paragraph of exposition. What would alien weapons look like? What would their travel method be? There are a lot of easy answers (they open up wormholes and they fire plasma guns) but they don't really fit the feeling I want to go for of a truly alien sci-fi.
>>
File: joking.jpg (56 KB, 371x258) Image search: [Google]
joking.jpg
56 KB, 371x258
>>46000709
>all of that
>all of it
>going that distance for a meme persona
You're either lying, or insane.
>>
>>46000388
Hows he fight stands he cant see?
>>
>>46000357
>>46000622
Have you considered getting fucked up on drugs until you imagine something really scary and writing about that?
>>
>>46000822
I know I'm insane, you don't have to remind me
>>
>>46000415
>>46000622
I used to write pretty prolifically. I have only a very small selection of material I like, and none of it has ever been professionally published. I have on published flash fiction story I'm surprised even got picked up.

Why is it I can talk about horror all day, discuss horror theory, why some stories are fantastic, why they work, which stories don't work or could be improved, but when it comes to actually putting it all into practice, I fail? I have the sloppiest, most dangerous way of writing - I have to complete a story (I only write short stories) in a single sitting or it's like something runs dry and any words I force out afterwards end up getting deleted. I feel like maybe I'm not cut out to be a writer, but it's the only thing I feel halfway confident saying I'm good at, whenever people have read anything I've written, they've liked it.

Fucks me up, lads.

/blog post
>>
>>46000874
Not really a fan. It feels artificial, plus I'm on a bunch of other meds I can't risk fucking up or I'll get s colostomy bag for life.

I know what's scary, I know what freaks people out, I know what should and shouldn't happen in a certain type of stories - I have examples out the wazoo, but putting into practice just stops me.
>>
>>46000910
I've actually been looking for a blog that endlessly spergs on horror and fantasy theory.

know any leads?
>>
>>46000957
I'm just going off what I heard about. Shit like Stephen king being high all the time or how the idea for the terminator came from a scary dream. If it was me I would write about something that makes me as uncomfortable as possible but I suck at writing.
>>
Almost exclusively smut. But I haven't really written anything since /wst/ was kicked out of /tg/.
>>
>>46000874
No, it seems unreliable.
Also the things you find scary when you're on drugs are probably pretty tame in a normal state of mind.

>>46000910
Just work at it and don't allow yourself to get psyched out by ideas of inspiration and writer's block. Try to find a community that appreciates your work, but can also provide suggestions to improve it. Writing is easier when you're writing for other people, rather than your own enjoyment.

I like Frank Herbert's outlook on it:
'A man is a fool not to put everything he has, at any given moment, into what he is creating. You're there now doing the thing on paper. You're not killing the goose, you're just producing an egg. So I don't worry about inspiration, or anything like that. It's a matter of just sitting down and working. I have never had the problem of a writing block. I've heard about it. I've felt reluctant to write on some days, for whole weeks, or sometimes even longer. I'd much rather go fishing, for example, or go sharpen pencils, or go swimming, or what not. But, later, coming back and reading what I have produced, I am unable to detect the difference between what came easily and when I had to sit down and say, "Well, now it's writing time and now I'll write." There's no difference on paper between the two.'

Just be methodical and consistent, like any other skill.
>>
Think Wheel of Time thrown into a blender with Dark Tower with a Mass Effect and 40K broth.

Surprisingly, it's not a steaming pile of shit and my screen readers have been requesting more. I might even submit it to a publisher after I finish the third book.
>>
>>46000985
I'm afraid not. It's mostly my own musings and discussions with friends and my dad on Saturday nights watching movies together. I'm not really an expert or anything, it's just stuff that I've noticed that makes sense to me and discussing it clarified my theories on stuff.

The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast did a lot of talking about the background of Lovecraft's stuff, but it wasn't especially related to the theory of it, but it's a good start.

>>46001003
I've used people's dreams and fears before - nearly drove my girlfriend to tears with something I wrote based on her fears of corpses and flies. The problem is the stuff that makes me uncomfortable isn't terribly physical or easy to write about. Cancer and Alzheimer's terrify me to my core, but horror for me is knowing I had it, and at that point it becomes a tragedy, not a horror. If that makes sense.
>>
>>45999511
Sounds pretty standard to me.

I really try to come up with interesting backgrounds for my romance novel. Like my Space Opera that's basically Love Com.
>>
>>46001192
I got easy fears like being paranoid someone is watching me or having to check that there isnt anyone in the room after I close my eyes to go to sleep.
>>
A sort of modern-fantasy slice-of-life taking place in a world in which demons have fled a brewing civil war in Hell, immigrating into human society and attempting to peacefully co-exist.

Its pretty shit.
>>
>>46001192
I'm even worse. Nothing really seems to phase me, most "scary" things either fascinate me or turn me on. Or both. Like, I've stayed up all night reading Wikipedia entries on horrifying rare diseases and thinking "that sounds cool, I want that".

Thanks for subscribing to my blog.
>>
File: 1417320610352.jpg (71 KB, 500x701) Image search: [Google]
1417320610352.jpg
71 KB, 500x701
I want to write some sci-fi thing that may or may not go into magical realm territory. So, having nowhere better to go for advice, I ask you, what are some creative ways for aliens to theoretically have sex? The less familiar the better.
>>
>>46001796
snake-ball orgies.
>>
Anyone want to join the /tg/ camp nanowrimo group?
>>
File: tasty knight.jpg (296 KB, 860x1152) Image search: [Google]
tasty knight.jpg
296 KB, 860x1152
Freeform forum Persona roleplay character.

He's the Hawaiian shirt bro of the gang with kamina shades and shark teeth. His weapon of choice are clubs from his family-owned minigolf course.
>>
>>46000837
Sorry for the late reply. John Q Self Insert doesn't really fight enemy Stands, so much as he survives them, which is a lot more than you can say for a lot of dead nameless side characters. It also helps that he's smart enough to stick on the sidelines when he knows a Stand battle is happening. In other words, he's their Speedwagon.

A recurring theme in the story is that John Q tries to micromanage the stories he is in so that everyone gets a happy ending, but this is almost always bound to fail. For a hypothetical Persona 4 jump, for example, he would try to prevent the first or second murders from ever happening, only to have completely different people die instead and be unable to predict future murders.
>>
>wrote 583 words of a story with no definite plot of any kind, no idea where it's going

But it's a start.

Thank you for the encouraging words, /tg/.
>>
I'm trying to write up 500+ simply creatures, with 3-5 sentences on each just to outline the concept. It's taking forever, I have maybe 70
>>
Battlefleet Gothic fanfiction.
>>
I wrote a short story for some worldbuilding thread from a few weeks ago, which has now disappeared, so there's no real reason to post it anymore.
Oh well, it was still fun and something I haven't done in a while.
>>
>>46002316
You kept it, though, right? Save anything and everything you write. I have probably 20 unfinished short stories, but they can always be canniablized for ideas later on, nothing is ever really useless.
>>
>>46002171
What you could do is come up with 50 categories of creatures, for sea, air, land and the like, maybe subcategories of each, so, swamp, lakes, oceans, deserts, jungles, mountaintops, tundra, plains, etc. and have 10 creatures for each category. 10 for tundra, 10 for deserts, 10 for deep oceans, 10 mountaintops, etc.

Instead of just one big list of unique creatures, putting them into areas in which they live, and also giving them common aspects relative to the areas in which they live, could make your work considerably easier.
>>
File: Alerasymbolsedit1.jpg (233 KB, 499x359) Image search: [Google]
Alerasymbolsedit1.jpg
233 KB, 499x359
>>45998985
>a hundred years after a Legion of Cato-Loyal Romans
>a planet that is basically a connecting point for everything in the universe
>got into a fight with a bunch of Elves
I'm seeing some crossed wires here.
>>
>>46002477
The problem is that they're all supposed to be unique magical problems. But, you bring up a good point where I haven't fully factored in their environment into the equation. Sure, I have "they live in this area and that sucks because this happens here", without fully trying to incorporate it. I think that could lead to some cool shit

I'll try your method, see how far that takes me, thanks!
>>
>>46002389
Yeah, of course.
It's sitting on my desktop. Mocking me.
>>
File: 50 cent drinking.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
50 cent drinking.gif
2 MB, 500x500
Attempting to plan out what's basically Honor Harrington, but with World War 2 instead of Napoleonic era battles.

Currently despairing at the sheer amount of research to be done.
>>
File: word count.png (2 KB, 368x88) Image search: [Google]
word count.png
2 KB, 368x88
High fantasy smut about two lewd grey elves exploring dungeons and getting molested by the things which dwell within.

The problem is I've started stretching out the story and have written out most of the smut and high fantasy.
Specifically in regards to the female MC, who was supposed to be getting dicked by just about everything but the male MC, I can't bring myself to detail her degradation at the hands of a debauched high priest or Minotaur.
>>
>>45998128
Well I had been juggling unproductively working on a Fantasy Western thing and a contemporary Horror. The Western was basically an over developed write up of a tabletop campaign. The party had good chemistry and it just feels a shame to waste. I've just been wrapped up in how to shuffle a few adventures and how to rewrite one character who just needed an overhaul.

The Horror is a thing I've been flipflopping on running as a game and just keeping as a full novella. It's been getting needlessly elaborate and while I've got a solid backstory and an MO for my monster, as well as a general idea of where I'm headed, those middle steps between A and Z are vague and shaky at best. But now I've been feeling oddly compelled to drop those two for now and revisit two old girly ideas I'd had years and years ago.

The one is a super cliche mashup of Swan Lake and Phantom of the Opera, with a ballet academy haunted by a witch. The witch keeps enthralling and stealing the principle male dancers to dance for her as part of a spell to stave off her mortality. The accompanist pianist is wandering the campus at night when she spots the missing boys dancing atop the belltower of the out of use chapel. She watches them tumble in turn from the belltower before turning into bats and flying off into the night, dancing across the full moon as they go. She does her fair share of snooping and gradually unravels the mystery, using her own music to command the bats to dance for her instead of the witch, draining her power and causing her to age and wither. With the witch dead and the spell broken, the academy crumbles and the pianist finds the whole thing to be an elaborate phantasm. I have no idea what ever posessed me to do it in the first place but I started and never finished some 4-5 years ago.
>>
>>46002562
Huh, same idea but with radically different executions.

I suppose there is nothing new under the sun. Is it worth a read?
>>
>ran out of good material for my specific cocktail of fetishes
>decide to write smut for myself with no intention of uploading it
>always get to about 40 or so pages before I remind myself I could be putting this effort into something else
>end up deleting it all
>only to later start writing smut again that I will eventually delete and restart the cycle

I've got a problem.
>>
>>46002831
Pretty entertaining read. Clever heroes and villains, creative powers, good plot, all that stuff. Just don't go in expecting totally original art and you'll be fine.
>>
>>46002794
The other is a vaguely placed period piece about a girl inheriting her grandmother's flower shop. She turns into something of a makeshift therapist for people as she rediscovers her love of botany and gardening. Her grandmother's old accquaintances stop in to say hi, (re)introduce themselves, and offer advice or tips. It turns out her grandmother was a witch, using the flowers as a kind of conduit for siphoning people's emotions as energy, but in safe, managble quantities. So she begins to learn about that and has to try and fill those shoes as well. She develops a crush on the printer's son down the block and there's some drama there. She also accidentally sprouts a mandrake sprite who turns out to be her plucky sidekick: rude, loud, and somewhat spoiled she serves as an over energetic offset to the girl's mild demeanor. There is one old friend of her grandmother's who doesn't think she's up to the challenge and insists on undermining her and eventually trying to get her to give up the rights to her grandmother's legacy and eventually trying to outright swindle her out of it. She's a bitchy, leggy blonde, technically the late grandmother's age but using magic to prop up her vanity. (i just realized both my villains are death cheating witches)

My biggest issues have been pacing major developments with smaller side-questy sorta episodes, and just having a big enough repertoire of cute little side-character adventures. I've had matchmaker situations, weddings, tearful goodbyes, funerals, baby showers, holidays/festivals, and seasonal stuff, but it just doesn't feel like enough. Actually, what I probably need is to do some more expansive world building and work in stories to establish unique landmarks around the town and the unseen witch community in it.
>>
>>46002794

Mind releasing some of it for someone who has a boring two days ahead of him?
>>
>>46002759

Mind releasing it for someone who is running out of fap fodder and wants more?
>>
>>46002887

just fucking save it on a flash drive and lock it away
>>
File: 1434069205157.png (984 KB, 3180x2088) Image search: [Google]
1434069205157.png
984 KB, 3180x2088
>>45998128
Right now, I'm writing a moral dilemma generator. I got inspired by threads about the trolley problem, and I wanted to create an easy way to test moral systems, without any kind of moral presupposition. So, for example, this generator does give informations about whether a choice causing a death will cause it by action or by inaction, regardless of whether it is relevant or not. I already have two pages of different possible effects, conditions, and circumstances; within a moral dilemma, each option proposed is defined by a set of these effects, conditions and circumstances, and any number of options can exist, depending on the moral dilemma itself.
>>
>>46002759
>10.5k words
>47 pages
What program are you writing on? My smutty magnus opus is at 7.5k words in 11 pages on a word processor.

>>46003038
>>46003050
releasemind

>>46002887
>deleting any of your work
>ever
Just fucking finish something and hand it over to whatever community you usually get your faps from. You probably have better taste than them, they'll thank you for it.
>>
>>46002887
It's a compulsive thing. I do the same with my illustration and my essay writing. I'd probably do it with my creative writing too if I could sit my ass down long enough to do any. I find it weirdly cathartic though, almost zen-like.
>>
>>46003119
I want to add that this generator will be extremely useful for me as a DM, as a well as for any novel or story I could write in the future, as moral dilemmas are, in my opinion, the best way to define a character and make its decisions interesting
>>
File: 1389958338865.jpg (119 KB, 640x965) Image search: [Google]
1389958338865.jpg
119 KB, 640x965
>>46003050
It's no where near finished yet and I honestly am pretty OC DO NOT STEAL ABOUT IT atm
paste bin /XRnmDc5d
This is an outdated short from a different story I'm writing every now and again, it's pretty similar to the version I'm using now but I can't quite work out how to speed up the flow.

>>46003136
I use Q10, a free word processor that was common freeware amongst the old /smut/ general threads.
I find it matches up well with mobi documents viewed on a phone or kindle, which is where my amazon smut will probably end up being read.
>>
>>46003119
I don't understand this picture, but I still find it really funny.
>>
File: 1453162124747.jpg (204 KB, 1280x716) Image search: [Google]
1453162124747.jpg
204 KB, 1280x716
>>45998128
A setting guide for my homebrew for 5e. I would post some of what I have here so far but I'm afraid of the mass amounts of criticism I'd recieve for adding a new continent to Ebberon.[\spoiler]

Includes:
>A new class: A psionic with several of my favorite psion types as class archetypes (Uncarnate, Aegis, Soulknife/bow)
>Race conversions to 5e including the Xeph and Shardmind
>A few setting-specific mechanics tacked onto guilds, clans, and houses
>A myriad of countries with varying cultures and histories

It's a massive project but it gives me a lot of creative output while I'm at Uni. Hoping to have it done by Spring Term, and I'll post it so you all can get some milage from it.
>>
>>46003250
Most parts of picture are stupid /lit/ variations of the first part (on the top-left corner), which is a visual representation of the trolley problem, a classical philosophical problem that asks you to choose between letting a train kill 5 people OR killing yourself 1 person. That's a good example of a moral dilemma, as many debates exist about the right course of action in this situation.
>>
>>46003374
I'm familiar with the trolley problem, I was just curious as to whether or not the variations had some deeper meaning or if they were just made for the sake of being funny.
>>
>>46002831

Yeah, it's not bad - gets more and more Young Adult towards the end of the series, but not so much that it was totally stupid.
>>
File: Tsuwabuki.Daigo.full.1843280.jpg (239 KB, 813x825) Image search: [Google]
Tsuwabuki.Daigo.full.1843280.jpg
239 KB, 813x825
Right now, I'm trying to write a suitable biography for Steven Stone My gf has roped me into a Pokemon Roleplay group *yet again
I'm trying to keep it to at least two paragraphs, since brevity works best and honestly, hardly anyone reads that stuff.
>>
File: 1457898066715.png (323 KB, 1269x776) Image search: [Google]
1457898066715.png
323 KB, 1269x776
>>46003488
It depends on which. Most of them were just made to be funny, but I can see some interesting reflexions in some of them. For example, pic related shows us that reality is in fact always a clusterfuck of possible outcomes, in such a way that you can never know the whole consequences of your actions, and therefore never judge what decision is the best morally. For example, the people you save could grow to become Hitler. Also, sometimes you just don't have the time and cognitive capabilities to make a rational decision, because the problem is too complex and too tough.
>>
>>45998128
I've just started writing the high fantasy story I've been telling my 6 year old before bed for the last 6 months. It's kept her captivated so I thought it's worthwhile writing down
>>
http://pastebin.com/sTqc8Jfq
I wrote this this night. It's 500-odd words of fanfic. If I ever actually work on it, I have some idea of there being two parallel plotlines, one about some poor conscript being sent to war, and another about a civil war that breaks out on the planet named in the piece.
>>
>>46003603
That sounds nice. Why don't you tell us about it?
>>
>>46003603
That's how Harry Potter became famous
>>
Im trying to write out a framework for a series of novels so i can keep things consistent throughout.

Also writing a series of short stories detailing events that take place before the first novel as both a character developing and world building exercise
>>
>>46003643
it's also why the Hobbit was written
>>
>>46003488
I think they're all rooted in just making the problem needlessly complicated, but...
>Kill 5 or kill 1
>if everyone dies, who do you kill first, 5 or 1
>everyone dies, 5151, 5115, 1551, 1515
>knowing if you pick the opposite of the other guy everyone dies, who do you agree to the death of, 5 or 1
>i don't even
>kill 5 or yourself
>if trains collide only you od other lever guy die, who sacrifices and who condemns to death? If you both chicken out or both scrifice yourselves everyone dies
>everyone dies
>you are coming down tracks, save train A or train B. Train at lever.
>there is no threat, there is no choice, just a man and a train and a track going nowhere
>the man the lever and the train aren't real
>you decide another's decicion, but your decision to decide what the other decides is decided by another
...intentional or not several of these can be read as actual moral conflicts or worldviews
>>
>>46003603
Sounds like easy mode success.

>>46003643
>yfw imagining JK rowling reading those awkward harry eye fucking Cho moments to three kids sharing a bed.

>>46003652
>yfw the tolkster putting three kids sharing a bed straight to sleep with his five minute flora descriptions.
>>
>>46000876
There is a fine line between insanity and stupidty.
>>
File: Haunter Love.jpg (122 KB, 403x332) Image search: [Google]
Haunter Love.jpg
122 KB, 403x332
>>45998128
The erotic rumps of my OC god of love with is wife the goddess of marriage.
>>
>>46000388
I've read one really, really bad one before. One that had naruto, mass effect, fsn as informed powers and thrown right into MGE.

It's rather colored my view on crossover fanfics.
>>
>>46003718
cute pic, is it related?
>>
I haven't written in almost 2 years but I've had fantasy/semi desal punkish story I've been working on.

I'm never happy with how anything turns out. I end up giving up before I even get started. Looking at the blank Microsoft word page just stresses me out.
>>
>>46003747
Good lord, that sounds awful. I'd suggest you give Drunkard's Walk a try, though.

On that note, I wouldn't really call this a crossover, since the only thing the stories have to connect them is the protagonist. What would you call that? A crossthrough?
>>
File: 1344875067873.png (295 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
1344875067873.png
295 KB, 1000x800
>>46000910
Son, it sounds like you have my problem: You're a perfect Co-Author. The idea guy who knows the genre and theory of what you're writing in and out, can pick up and and write key scenes, but is unable to fill 400+ pages alone.
Ghost writers tend to have the exact opposite problem: They can write neigh endlessly, but lack the ability or desire to create the scenario they write about.
I'd suggest trying to hit up a few ghost writers and pitch your idea for a co-authored novel. Then come back and post results.

Personally, I feel as if I'm able to convey my ideas and inspirations more effectively in person than over the phone and the internet, but I have yet to find a ghost writer in my area who wants to work with me in such a manner. I have helped a few of my author friends out with their published works by offering ideas, and insights, and my perspective on things. One of them actually went back and re-wrote about half the book he was working on after we had a brain storming session. He sent me an email a month later, as the editor who'd been no selling him actually agreed to publish the revised version. Felt good.

Meanwhile I have about two dozen non-starters on my HDD, gathering dust while I spin my wheels writing terrible fanfiction.
Anyhow, good luck my friend.
>>
>>46003799
I have the same problem. My advice: just write your ideas, let them go through one, two, three pages, as much as possible, and NEVER erase anything. Eventually, you'll see your collection of personal notes grow so much that each text will be to you like a lego or puzzle piece. Then you'll just have to put them together as soon as you discover that some of them make a good combination, and TADAAA, you'll be going onward!
>>
>>45998128
What is that thing? What's it for?
>>
>>46003832
I've been tempted to write one protagonist in multiple adventures in multiple settings. Kind of a Doctor Whovian wanderer through the settings. I don't know how well that'd work, but I think it'd be interesting to have one character adjust and adapt to vastly different settings. The one definite setting I want him to explore is the Fallout world.

Is that a thing? Having an established character written into different settings? I suppose time travel writing is the obvious answer, but what's that called?
>>
>>46003920
Adventure serials i guess. Kind of like Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew
>>
>>46000388
>self insert character travels dimensions and battles with crazy shit from all of the authors favorite settings in a crossover fanfic extravaganza
Hooooooly shit this takes me back.
For a large part of my teenage years I had considered writing something like this, except serious, not tongue-in-cheek like you're going for.

The character went through many iterations, different powersets, backgrounds, weapon kits, allied characters, etc. I never wrote anything down, but I still remember most of what I had planned. Some of the ideas were actually pretty decent for their respective setting, but I'm glad I didn't write it out, because it would have been really cringey in full execution.

The "final form" was something like this:
Morgan Collins was chosen by the government to be a kind of super soldier, trained and sent on a mission to stop North Korea from building a nuclear/antimatter weapon. After infiltrating the compound, he realizes the only way to shut off the reactor is to make it go critical, which creates a giant black hole/dimensional vortex. Falling into the vortex, he thinks he's going to die... until he wakes up in a completely different world (I'll cover the universes I would have put him in in a sec.)

As a side effect of traversing the dimensional vortex, Morgan gained the ability to move his body through a fourth spatial dimension, which is normally devoid of matter. For practical purposes this meant he could phase through solid objects, punch people in the brain, and generally be really fucking durable by phasing out his internal organs (or really everything but the very top layer of skin) and fighting like a seemingly hollow person. This power set, combined with his gear, would allow him to see front-line combat in all the universes of the crossover, without him actually being much more dangerous than a normal human.
cont.
>>
File: pendragon_full_series.jpg (77 KB, 736x431) Image search: [Google]
pendragon_full_series.jpg
77 KB, 736x431
>>46004001
His gear was a selection of the weapons I thought were the coolest.
An M14 rifle with a bayonet on the barrel and on the butt.
A heavy grenade launcher with a spring-cushioned stock for fighting huge monsters and vehicles.
A round shield that was stored in a little plate-sized disc and folded out radially through a mechanical action
And a gladius-style short sword
He didn't wear armor because he didn't need it, just military fatigues or whatever was appropriate to blend in with the locals.

From there it's basically heroic moralfag adventures across the multiverse, with the general theme being trying to find a way home, protecting and solving people's problems along the way.

The original setting he was designed for was Felarya. I hadn't quite gotten over my desire to want to see humans beat the shit out of giant Felaryan predators yet, so Morgan Collins was a great outlet for that. Naturally though, he found himself thrust into whatever setting I was interested in at the moment.
Durendal's Legacy-verse
Countless one-off settings
and later even 40k.
/chuuni rant

>>46003920
One character across many settings is still a cool as fuck idea to me, but it's a difficult concept to pull of gracefully, especially using established setting.
One example (from my childhood) is pic related, although the settings in Pendragon are all original, they are usually obviously based on another genre of scifi/fantasy.
>>
>>46004001
>>46004009
Grey elf smut anon here, I did something similar in my teen years.
Except the MC was a ghost who traveled the multiverses by possesing people through the barriers of reality when ever they got close to one another.

He also fucked a lot of wives, mistresses and relatives of his victims.
>>
File: Veil of Madness.jpg (44 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Veil of Madness.jpg
44 KB, 640x360
Attempting to write a short story of pic related.
>>
File: Decade - Pasing Through.jpg (136 KB, 500x695) Image search: [Google]
Decade - Pasing Through.jpg
136 KB, 500x695
>>46003832

When Decade did it, he called himself 'a passing through Kamen Rider'.
I always thought 'Sidereal', as in 'Neighboring Reality', sounded cool for this sort of thing but it's a real astrological term.

Slider, Cracker, Alter
(Dimension) Hopper / Spanner / Cutter
(Quantum) Leaper / Tunneler
Bystander

>>46003920
In fan-fiction? Multiverse, usually.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_universe_%28fiction%29
>>
>>46004009
That sounds an awful lot like the 80's anime series 'Super Dimension Century Orguss'. And that's awesome - I loved that show.
>>
>>46004009
I'm a firm believer of the opposite, that a character should remain constrained within a single setting, probably because I think that "Rule A is always Rule A". Unless compatible settings are merged together, "translating" someone is more akin to creating a new character that chases the same concept.

I just can't accept that all the baggage that comes with literally bringing a character into another setting when how their powers change is author fiat from the ground up.
>>
>>46004001
>>46004009
In contrast to your hero's two fisted adventuring, John Q's story would be about the everyman slowly coming to terms with how crazy his life has become, and learning to go with the crazy instead of against it. He later gets powers (not sure what yet), but they'd be more for utility than raw force.

As you said, this kind of story is hard as hell to do right. At the end of this, I want something I can look back upon and not cringe at, but instead look at with a mild degree of pride.

>>46004146
Since John Q's travels across fiction are unintentional (no explanation given, he just fucks off to the next world when the story is done), I'd refer to him as a Planesslipper.
>>
>>46004190
>I just can't accept that all the baggage that comes with literally bringing a character into another setting when how their powers change is author fiat from the ground up.
This is an issue, but I don't think handwaving it with some multiverse theory is a huge crime. You're basically uniting a bunch of other settings under the umbrella of one big setting, like the different planes in MTG.

The interesting thing to me is writing out how one character might react to and handle wildly different situations as a outsider. How might his or her morality and personality develop when exposed to so many extreme scenarios? Do they adapt or do they fight against each new world they are thrown into?

In another way, settings are usually tied to certain genres or styles of scifi/fantasy. High fantsy settings have very different themes than low fantasy settings, or dystopian scifi settings do by their very nature.
A multiverse lets you run one character through many genres easily.

If we look at the places Pendragon visits, for example, we have:
>Medieval society undergoing a huge crisis because of the discovery of an advanced, gunpowder-like material
>planet entirely covered in water undergoing an ecological crisis
>1930's detective noir
>virtual reality apocalypse
>Jungle world where humans are an underclass to another sapient species
>feudal desert fantasy world fighting over scarce water resources
>corporate dystopia in the process of eradicating all vestiges of pre-industrial culture
>Peaceful stone age society living in the aftermath of the virtual reality apocalypse.

>>46004257
I don't totally cringe when I think about all the lore I thought up for Morgan Collins. I think as far as Gary Stu characters go he's pretty tame, and I would readily re-use many of the ideas I developed alongside him.

What settings do you imagine John Q in?
>>
>>46004345
What about just using one coherent world and following inside this world a unique immortal and eternal character, that lives through each epoch since he's unable to die, and thus goes through each setting without causing any of those problems?
>>
>>46004360
That's a thing too, but then you have all the baggage associated with him, y'know, being immortal.
>why is he immortal?
>are there others?
>do any mortals know about the immortal(s)?
>how has his personality been altered by eons of watching mortals and their works pass into dust?

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of immortals and all the juicy philosophy and psychology questions that come along with them, but I don't think that approach solves the underlying narrative implausibility issues of the multiverse. It just puts them somewhere else.
>>
>>46003675
Yeah. She's had input on character names throughout,so its as much her story as it is mine.

>It's about a diagraced Count trying to rebuild his kingdom by fucking over a neighboring kingdom. When that doesn't work he flees with his servant and heads north. He then sees an opportunity to worm his way into the northern boy kings good graces, before convincing him that throwing everyone who commits even minor crimes should be enslaved. He then suggests the king take some time away, while he looks after the kingdom, then has the boy kidnapped outside the city.

>Cue a massive war, the counts servant switching sides to that of the first king the count tried to fuck over, and elf getting involved and an old fashioned man hunt as a group of adventurers try to find the missing boy king.

Its been a good pastime so far
>>
>>45998128
i'm writing a campaign for Godlike. After the death of Hitler, Berlin is split in 4 allied controlled zone and a neutral center where the negocitions happens. Problem is a groupe a super powered nazi have infiltrated the allied coalition managing this area. The PC's goal will be to find the seven nazi amongst a detailed cast of 60 NPC, each with their power, agenda, moods etc.... And of course, they are not supposed to kill anyone, this is a diplomatic mission
It's a lot of work
>>
>>46004345
>I don't totally cringe when I think about all the lore I thought up for Morgan Collins. I think as far as Gary Stu characters go he's pretty tame, and I would readily re-use many of the ideas I developed alongside him.
I was speaking about the issues with the idea in general. If you botched the story's execution, you'd get a donut steel OC who is super overpowered and beats up all the bad guyz because blah blah blah. Morgan Collins sounded pretty rad to me.

>What settings do you imagine John Q in?
Mainly things I like (JoJo, Skullgirls, at least one Disney movie), though I do plan on taking the character to things I dislike. Like it or not, I'd still do my best to respect the source material and make an amusing story out of it. Though I dont see a point in writinng about things I hate.

As an example, I'm some kind of sadist (or masochist depending on how you look at it) looking for a challenge, so I'm planning on starting the series in Naruto. I'm feeling bold, so I might post a chapter later.
>>
>>46004418
It looks really interesting! While you share your work once it's done and tested? If so, where can we find it if we don't have the chance to browse /tg/ at the exact right moment?
>>
File: 1455689476895.jpg (251 KB, 1669x943) Image search: [Google]
1455689476895.jpg
251 KB, 1669x943
>>45998128
Porn. So much porn. Oh, wait, I mean "erotica". Strangely enough, if this keeps up I'll be able to pay my living expenses entirely by writing smut.
>>
I got Twine so I can write my erotic monsterboy + TF magical realm adventure CYOA style... So now I just need to work up the courage to actually get it out of my head and stop feeling embarrassed.
>>
File: 1445947941375.jpg (108 KB, 365x301) Image search: [Google]
1445947941375.jpg
108 KB, 365x301
>>46004610
Don't be. If anything, you'll get a sensible chuckle out of things people like and consume and it's not like you have to connect it with your meatspace life or any of your persistent identities online.
>>
>>46004610
on the internet, no one knows your a goitre fetishist
>>
>>46000822
Knowing Curzefag, it's almost definitely the latter.
>>
>>46004741
Fucking hell. I am not used to having a tripcode.
>>
>>46004686
hm, that also reminds me that I wouldn't even know where to publish it to if I did get it done. CYOA is just how I roll when I imagine fetish scenarios, so writing it in that format seems right.

I don't think it's that no one knows, it's that no one cares.
>>
File: 1450903607630.gif (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1450903607630.gif
3 MB, 480x360
>>46004769
Start a wordpress. Get some traffic going from here and /d/. Put up polls at forks in the story.
>>
>>46004800
That's really good advice, I think I'll do that. Thank you.
>>
>>45998128
My homebrew setting for a pathfinder game. Got the main continent figured out, but recently i got a like on the visuals and the style of voodoo rituals and i am currently trying to make voodoo fit in some race in my setting
>>
>>45998128
Shitty fanfiction mostly, and homebrew.
Currently thinking about writing a short story that combines SUPERHOT and Hotline Miami, and finishing my TWEWY-based homebrew system.

People receive calls and when they answer them, their conciousness transfers into a person of Operator's choice, and they are manipulated into killing people by the Operator.

Person who received the call remains as a soulless husk, because their consciousness never returns back into the body and dies when the Operator orders you to suicide, killing your mind inside of the body you have hijacked.

The horror comes when you realize that literally anyone can receive the call in the current world of mobile phones and be used to kill people.
>>
>>45998128
Mostly horrible homo porn to practice my writing, and earn a little money on the side.

And basic DnD style fantasy. Total schlock, in other words.
>>
Emperor, I have a terrible time writing everytime I come up with fucking anything, I get a good thought going and its coming along all well and good and then suddenly, like mid fucking sentance I'll realize 'wait, what don't make any sense!' and spend fucking forever trying to to fix it.
Usually it ends with me coming to /tg/ for help. Which has mixed success.
>>
>>45998128
I'm writing a sci fi about how humans being the trash collectors and all round shit kickers of the galaxy to pay back for getting involved in a war that seriously fucked up some shit..

story takes place 20 years after the wars
>>
Smutty smut that tries to be humorous as well as breaking the mold. Innocent minotaurs being lured into debauchery by elves, tentacle monsters being pegged, stuff like that
>>
>>46006069
0/10 not HFY
>>
>>46006344
what do you mean? I'm not picking up what your putting down
>>
>>46006587
HFY is Humanity Fuck Yeah, basically a genre about Humans being awesome either conquering shit, or just improving the universe in some way.
>>
>>45998128
MOTHER
FUCKING
WERE BEARS
>>
>>46006854
oh its kinda like that i guess
theres lots of focus on political manipulation ( among other shit ) and space warfare
>>
Smutty Harry Potter fanfiction with body sharing, mind-fusion, tf/tg, and pregnancy/impregnation themes.
>>
>>46000388

If you're capable of actually generating clever and witty solutions for him to use when he'd 'surviving battles by his wit', I would be glad to read it.

a lot of the time that just turns into ass pulled bullshit or the author forcing Ann the antagonists to be retarded.
>>
>>46007001
This poster here >>46006344 was most likely joking. Your story sounds interesting as it is.
>>
>>45998128
I'm working on a homebrew campaign for DH2e. I'm playing with these poor/homeless high school kids that I tutor. I'm doing an RPG with them to teach them stuff like setting short term goals, critical thinking, understanding and dealing with failure, pursuing curiosity, using creativity.

Anyway I figured I should ease them into RPGs with an accessible setting/campaign. I have it planned out that it essentially starts out like a generic medieval fantasy setting and then if we play a few sessions I'll drop the bomb that surprise, yall are part of a massive, crumbling space empire.

Basically they will be characters on a backwater Imperium feudal world that is connected by unstable warp routes and is on the fringe of the sector. So due to its position and an event between the first planetary governor and the AdMech, they have no support in advancing tech, but they have little oversight from the AdMech too so they do make tech developments, and the big cities/kingdoms are all renaissance level tech.

They will have three options for race:
Man (standard human and they can be psyker if they wish)
Halfing (Ratlings, who do rule three cities of their own, and are the expert musketeers.
Great Man (Ogryn, live in scattered tribes in the wild lands and in small enclaves in the cities related to military or church)

Magic will be available via Psykers, but it will be made clear that it carries significant risks and only those who are chosen can do it.

Basically the character will receive letters from this super old dude that has a bomb ass house and a nominal title, but no one really knows who he is. Turns out he is a "retired" interrogator from the inquisition. He basically tasks the group to gather info for him do jobs.

Have major plot planned around mutant uprising. Essentially there is a fuckton of mutants due to the planet's history. It was originally terraformed during Dark Age of Tech, but was sparsely settled due to shit happening.
>>
>>46007087
I hate asspulls. I would allow the main character to be lucky sometimes, but the suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so thin. I'd also never have a villain act like a retard just because I wrote myself into a corner.

So that he isn't completely crippled (figuratively, though he also loses a limb during the story), I've considered giving John Q the Ripple, or granting him a Stand that shows up only after leaving the JoJo universe with an Arrow. I haven't a clue what it would do, but I'm hooked on naming it Foreigner.
>>
>>46007173
thanks, I've got about 55 pages of world building ( tech, histories, factions, motives, events, designs for ships+ weapons and tactics blah blah blah) and like 5 pages of solid plot points
>>
>>46007233
Once age of strife hits, Planet gets abandoned and the few settlers are left to fend for themselves and due to warp shit in local vicinity they tend to mutate, however they lay low. Basically mutant population eeks by until the planet is resettled, most mutants are pretty okay and not even that mutated. But regardless, Muties all live in mountains to avoid the Imperium.

More importantly there big bad are a race of designed mutants. Designed by a mad Magos Biologis at a nearby station. Essentially these mutants, known as the "Chosen" have big ass wings and an extremely pronounced psyker gene. No one really knows why the magos made them, but they were heretical as hell and the vast majority of them were Blammed!, however a small group escaped to the planet where they use their appearance and powers to loosely rule over the mutants. Due to their small pop size though there has been prodigious bottleneck effect on the "chosen" resulting in a bigger yet considerably diluted current population. Many have lost their connection to the warp, but those that maintain it suffer from considerable mental deterioration and can turn into Warp bombs.

All in all I have a lot more shit planned like guild wars, ratling-human conflict, and smaller heresies.

The general point is that I want them to see that not everything is black and white and that most things tend to be in grey at worst.

Also, cause I'm a dick I'm going to try and teach them academic stuff throughout, like how to properly use sources (i.e. they need to establish credibility of doucments they find or going off info on a firsthand account vs. some opinion drummed up way later by someone with heavy bias), physics, public speaking, blah blah blah.
>>
>>45998128
A continuing 40k fic involving the descendants of a Dark Age of Tech colony returned to warn humanity about the Tyranids.
>>
A typical light-hearted fantasy story about a group of heroes on an unlikely journey.
Basically it's a medieval world with a far more advanced technology.Magic is everywhere,sometimes fusing with technology,medicine,theology and architecture.
Humans are one of the products of the evolution started by gods,by are neither best nor the latest. They menaged to escape the land where evolution started and settled on the isles in the south. The few brave and stupid enough to sail West rarely return,talking about humans tall as moutains and snakes that swallow entire ships at once.
Main hero tries to change his destiny,and to do so he have to visit the continent and find an oracle that lives there. He of course can't do that alone so he gathers a typical D&D party,who also have problems with their future,and where does the fate leads them
Along the way they accidentaly (to them at least) set a series of events in motions which can possibly destroy their world,their universe,other universes and all of creation.

In fact,they are manipulated by multiverse ISIS to overthrow the alien government that rules all of reality
>>
>>46007173
Yes, I was joking.
>>
>>46006913
Werebears don't get enough love
I like werewolves a lot. I've been thinking of adding a Werebear to my MC's group. It wouldn't be that hard, now that I think of it.
>>
File: Julia.png (1 MB, 2661x5051) Image search: [Google]
Julia.png
1 MB, 2661x5051
Rewriting this and prepping to dive back into editting on my novel

We need more people in the camp nano cabin!
>>
>>45998128
Trying to write about attribute grammar, it isn't going well.
>>
>>46007934
i gathered, i didnt know what HFY was though
>>
File: Sir Gawain.png (800 KB, 1459x2494) Image search: [Google]
Sir Gawain.png
800 KB, 1459x2494
>>45998128
I'm filling out a full setting based on something I wrote for a storythread.
It's about the quest of a single knight who is the last bastion of the law attempting to restore order to an entire city laid waste by anarchy and riot with nothing but a can do chivalrous attitude and a knights' determination.
The setting is high-futuristic with that neon/eighties/sunset/vaporwave/memes AESTHETIC despite the city being sort of destroyed, and in the knight's travels he meets a bunch of anachronistic crazy heroes who don't have goals as lofty as saving the city, but are just trying to make things better for the civilians trapped inside.
There are a bunch of anarchist philosophies competing for control of the city, each sure that once they come to power everything will be good again but failing to see how they're making it all worse by fighting for control in the first place, and it's the knight's job to convince them to reconsider their philosophies and accept LAW AND JUSTICE, either through words or through force.
The main challenge is making it a good story about a hero trying to restore his kingdom and not "HUR, MUH PHILOSOPHY IS BETTER THAN URS".
>>
>>46008560
>anarchist philosophies
>they come to power
They're intentionally hypocrites right?
>>
>>46008623
That's kind of the idea, they are villains after all.
There's one *true* anarchist, a Black Knight who's responsible for fucking everything up in the first place (haven't exactly figured it out yet but I'm probably going to steal heavily from the fall of Sir Lancelot) and he calls them out on their hypocrisies by destabilizing any order larger than maybe a commune of equal civilians in a "The phoenix burn to ash completely before it may rise again" sort of mentality as far as the city goes.
>>
File: Sir Lancelot.png (1 MB, 1108x1500) Image search: [Google]
Sir Lancelot.png
1 MB, 1108x1500
>>46008799
Forgot image
>>
Glad to see this thread is still alive. I'm the existential crisis horror writer anon and I've come with a proposition.

What >>46003834 makes an unfortunate amount of sense. With this in mind I'd still like to try and write, and one thing I can do is flash fiction. Short, snappy, fun, and 4chan gives me a 2000 character limit.

So give me a fear or two of yours and I'll type it up right here, your own personal horror tale.
>>
File: 1454347709372.jpg (607 KB, 1170x674) Image search: [Google]
1454347709372.jpg
607 KB, 1170x674
>>45998128
Working on a novel at the moment.

It concerns a plague with no cure (and neither is anyone able to determine its origin, although the reader is given clues) which sweeps a tropical city-state called Celocombo for exactly one year.

The story is told through six (thinking about seven) POVs which interlock in various ways; each function to elucidate a different aspect of the city's culture, society, and history, as well as moving forward the story.

The principal themes which I'm looking to explore are man vs. an uncaring nature, the nature of "the city", death, and the disparity between myth and history.

Inspirations include The Elder Scrolls, The Dying Earth, Book of the New Sun, Numenara, Pathologic, and García-Márquez. With an injection of Chinese folk religion and the Popol Vuh. Trying to hit a good stride between well-developed world building as well as strong character driven narrative.

I've only got around 50 pages so far and trying to write 1,000 words a day but it's proving slow going. Would anyone on /tg/ read?
>>
File: AmSuUDS.gif (1 MB, 432x768) Image search: [Google]
AmSuUDS.gif
1 MB, 432x768
>>46010967
I would read a good book based on those concepts, but then again, I would read a good book based on anything.
This doesn't really sell me what you're writing, but at least you have a defined plan, themes, and inspirations, so you're already ahead of the curve when it comes to amateur writing.
>>
Setting up my first session as a DM. The premise is that they're inquisitors in this typical D&D world. Any suggestions would be great
>>
Rolled 1 (1d3)

Not writing anything at the moment, but I'm about to decide right now. I've narrowed down my options of setting, and that will probably influence what kind of story I write.
>1. Gnork, a world brimming with so much magic that it's been commercialized. Everyone is essentially some type of spellcaster, and shenanigans can and often do ensue. Lighthearted and altogether silly.
>2. The 9 Kingdoms. Asian inspired wuxia type of thing. Revolves around warriors fighting injustice and helping the common man and basic heroic stuff. Nothing special, noblebright feel.
>3. Wyrdenburg. A city that's basically gone to hell and no one's really noticed. Inspired by Corpathium and Vornheim. Lots of weird fantasy stuff. Want to go for a mix of horror and dark comedy.

Whatever it ends up being, it'll probably be shit anyway, but fuck it.
>>
More multiverse crossover fanfiction. I've been writing this since highschool and revised it twice. I should probably stop, but I don't want to abandon something I've been writing for years.
>>
>>46011665
Tell us more.
>>
>>46012033
>>46011665
seconding
>>
I said I was done two years ago, but the editing never ends. Publishers didn't want it, so I wanted to release it as an ebook at the beginning of this year, but I got a new reader and just some small concernes she uttered made me redo the whole setting. Fortunately not the plot, but it affects the tech and with it the means of transportation and the weapons. Sometimes I only need to change some names and give some other descriptions, but now I face chapters which I have to write completely anew.

Never know if it's two steps back, one step forwards or the other way around. But maybe it's finally done this month and I can get back to the other book I wrote 50% of.
>>
File: 1347458189025.jpg (310 KB, 1400x675) Image search: [Google]
1347458189025.jpg
310 KB, 1400x675
>>46008308
Well, this rewrite is done for now. Hopefully one of my cabin mates will be able to rip into it this week.

And now to go back to rewriting my novel. Had a discussion with my brother about it and now I have to rewrite the final chapter among other things, fun fun fun.

Do you guys think I'm juggling too much for an 80k word story?
>An AI terrorist making Tzeentch proud
Pattern recognition so advanced he can predict the future if he's not too distracted by falling in love with the other AI
>Resultant Cyberpunk Civil War
A powder keg reaction the AI is grooming into shape against the authoritarian military government
>Population gets trapped in an MMO
So the AI can use them as hostages to make demands against the government as well as bypass hardcoded limitations on what AI's are allowed to do rather than humans
>Post-Zombie Apocalypse world outside the city
Closer to a stable airborne plague now, it's all under control as long as the only people exposed to it are vaccinated. It's just a lingering doom the government uses to distract the population
>An actual demon trapped in the basement gets released
He was the cause of the zombies, breaks out by manipulating the civil war slightly and causes everything to continually go from bad to worse. Acts as the forces beyond human control, fundamental human evil, that kind of stuff
>>
>>46012033
>>46012522
You asked for it. And I'll tell you the actual content at the end.

I started thinking about the concept when I was a Freshman and began writing a coherent story Sophomore year.

At the core I wanted a multitude of value sets, cultures, and ideas from different universes to meet and interact with each other, since it just fascinated me for some reason. Being a teen, a lot of it involved action. Thankfully I was writing beforehand and was conscious about spelling and grammar, but the beginning was still cringey.

I scraped it eventually and started from the beginning. However, the combination of me being a slow writer and me starting other works slowed the story down to a crawl. There were months between chapters, and the record was about a year and a month. Only now am I trying to write more, and hopefully I can actually get into the multiverse shenanigans.

The biggest trouble I'm getting into is pacing. Like some of the Anons before me, I have scenes and encounters I want to write about, but it's getting to those scenes is what's presenting the biggest challenge. Do I give a sentence or two and go straight to the event (action/cultural exchange) or should I spend several paragraphs setting the mood and giving details that may be important later.

What I think I need to improve on is having a more detailed outline. I have somewhat of an idea of a beginning, middle, and "end", but beyond that I'm improvising, and that's been leading me into dead ends and subplots I wasn't planing on branching into. I'll have to write some points down tonight when I have the chance.

Oh, and this is all on fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9288392/1/The-Kaitakusha-Chronicles-Book-1
Yes, I've talked about this story before, and I have no shame.
>>
>>46015780
I can understand the feeling of having a lot of good ideas for things I want to write in the future, but having trouble getting those ideas together to form a cohesive plot. I'll take a look at your story later and tell you what I think of it.
>>
>>46014553
bump
>>
File: file.png (12 KB, 670x88) Image search: [Google]
file.png
12 KB, 670x88
A class for 3.PF.
>>
>>45998128
Two games, both of which need accompanying stories and subplots to be divided up among the chapter headings.

One's fantasy, the other's like... Dieselpunk Space Opera with Nazis. So that's going to be fun.
>>
File: former aquilonese empire.png (2 MB, 1247x1251) Image search: [Google]
former aquilonese empire.png
2 MB, 1247x1251
Military epic about my art deco 1920s-esque setting(map at left). Got the first three books figured out

>Book 1: Sword of The Throne
Colonel Kothra Tikal, of the National Kiserran Skyfleet, is sent as an observet to his country's tenuous ally, the Astarian Principality. There he meets Her Majesty, Princess Arminia Caliak. Kothra Tikal is what you might consider a typical Heinlein protagonist; a member of the military who thinks that there are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men, and believes in the right to bear arms, the death penalty, and private enterprise. Kothra and his nation's libertarian ideals place him directly opposite the Astarians' monarchist viewpoints; his own dislike for the princess contributes to their deteriorating relationship, which leads to open war when Kiserre forges an alliance with the Republic of Aquileon, the shattered remains of the empire that used to dominate the whole continent. The finale of the story comes when Kiserre's skyfleet, lead by Kothra Tikal, attacks Astaria, whose Sky Force defends the nation, lead personally by Princess Arminia. In the finale, Arminia kills Tikal in a boarding action.

(cont)

>Book 2: Of Heart and State
Kiserre's initial onslaught is beaten back, but Arminia finds herself at the head of a nation surrounded by checkerboard enemies; if Astaria is going to stand against Kiserre and Aquileon in the long term, they need to bring Varangia in on their side. Princess Arminia, who has known Varangia's Queen Jannel since childhood, proposes that the two unite their nations against the mutual threat. If Astaria falls, Aquileon and Kiserre will inevitably turn on Varangia, so Princess Arminia proposes marriage to Queen Jannel. The main focus of the book will be on Arminia and Jannel making an arranged, political marriage work, but military focus will come from the betrayal of Baron Cold Pass, who turns over the critical mountain pass between Astaria and Aquileon to the Aquilonese side.

(cont)
>>
File: arminia.png (107 KB, 256x676) Image search: [Google]
arminia.png
107 KB, 256x676
>>46022467
Book 3: In The Shadow of The Queen

Princess Arminia(pictured) has long lived in the shadow of her mother's legacy; at age 25, Queen Sayphay lead her ancestral homeland to secession from the collapsing Aquilonese Empire, forging a nation in her own image and by the sword in her hand. Arminia is now that same age, 25 years old, and feels compelled to follow in her mother's legacy. While she's secured the future of her nation by joining it with Varangia, she still finds herself outnumbered and outproduced by the vast Kiserran and Aquilonese factories, and she has to do anything she can to buy time to build up her own factories in response. Her only solution comes as Aquileon's harvest nears completion; sending her Sky Force in to firebomb the Aquilonese fields, annihilating the harvest and sending millions of people to the brink of starvation, destroying Aquileon's ability to support a massive war. Arminia knows this is evil, and she may well be vilified by history, but she sees know choice, and has to do what she can for her nation regardless of how history will see her.

Not really sure where the story will go after this.
>>
>>45998128
mostly random episodes of the life of different characters I made for games
usually between 1 and 5 pages long, just snippets that go through my mind
mostly based on WoD
>>
A Dark Heresy Campaign. Main antagonist is a radical Ordos Xenos inquisitor who is hijacking a chaos cult of Slaneesh in order to summon a daemon army for him to try to steer into the Jericho Reach in order to fuck the Xeno's shit up, especially the Tyranids.
>>
File: 1391528557160.jpg (44 KB, 342x400) Image search: [Google]
1391528557160.jpg
44 KB, 342x400
>>46013148
>mfw I plan to write a book in one year,
>5k words a month shouldn't be all that hard if I plan out the plot first
>diddly squat to show for it at the end of the year

What's your setting like?
>>
>>46004009
> ... a bayonet ... on the butt
Sounds painful.
>>
>>46023521
It points downward and inward so instead of hitting people with the butt of the gun in CQC, you can stab them in the face.
>>
>>46002831
Your basic bildungsroman, farm boy has a secret heritage, a weird disability that makes him special, and saves the world through sheer "why-are-you-doing-this-that-way" confusion. It's good solid fun.
>>
>>45998128
King William V's dead at the hands of terrorists, forcing the Royal Family to go into hiding in small-town America.

William's grandson has no idea who he is and has to retake the British throne from a now fiercely Roundhead Britain.

Oh, and there's Merlin, too.
>>
File: dapper orc.png (62 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
dapper orc.png
62 KB, 300x300
bumping so it don't die
>>
>>46000388
>You ever heard of Drunkard's Walk?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunkard's_Walk
Doesn't seem to fit any entry.

Who's the author of the one you're speaking of?
>>
>>45998128
Trying to write a sort of a game pitch.
For a banal arena-type game to run on PbP forum.
So I could try get a hand of the MnM system.
So I could try running a proper campaign in it.

But really it's just a rabbit hole of delaying and procrastinating from having to actually get up and fucking do it.
>>
>>46026960
Here's the link to the series.

http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/dwmain.shtml
>>
Working on a self-contained sword and sorcery novel. Instead of being an epic of someone competent or comedically incompetent, the story focuses on a protagonist that's physically capable but is incredibly dependent on other people on how to live her life. She hardly ever has any grasp on what exactly she is doing until she's already done it. She relies on trustworthy and faithful companions to steer her in the direction she wants to go, because she easily loses her way otherwise. She deals with violent urges and frightful ignorance to pain, but her companions make sure she doesn't get too carried away.

I've tried to write it before, but it felt uninspired. This thread encouraged me to start again, and a couple thousand words in, it's feeling much better than the last time.
>>
Eternal Darkness story where Ulyaoth-aligned Pious needed to do all the terrible things in canon to ensure the final death of his Ancient. The only end justifies the only method.
>>
Background for my Warhammer Fantasy RPG character. First time playing and I rolled for background and such as tradition dictates. He ended up with the most tragic backstory I've ever composed. Basically he's an elderly Dwarf Trollslayer who became a trollslayer because he was an architect of the 'Ortress he lived in; a thoroughfare he designed collapsed and ended up killing 30 people. He had a wife and 8 children, but still left to become a Trollslayer. He was given a bounty from the Book of Grudges that would allow him to return, and he actually already completed it, but he still wanders around because he's doubtful that bashing some ogre or elf's head in at the behest of a fickle noble will be able to atone for murdering 30 people by his own incompetence. He's known on the surface world as Kargin the Aggrieved, and he still remains unslain after close to 30 years, not that he'd ever really tried that hard to find something big and strong to murder him since he's an old fuck who doesn't believe it'd take much more than a couple of bandits. He's almost continuously disappointed.
>>
>>45998128
Im writing an easy and fast post-apocalyptic fantasy rpg called "Nihil Sub Sole Novum" it's almost finished but it's in french. I will translate it and post it here one day.
>>
>>46002831
>I suppose there is nothing new under the sun.

heh heh heh

While I've never read the series, I love the story of how it came to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKRYe0ZWHo
>>
>>46027678
specialsnowflakecharacter.doc
>>
>>46003324

You'll probably get a dozen retards calling it generic and all the varieties of stupid without bothering to give proper criticism and then a few that'll actually bother to give proper criticism, making it worthwhile. Just post it anon.
>>
What do you mean writing?
I'm at 115k words and doing a final edit, nearly done.
You blokes would enjoy it.
Reasonable sci-fi setting were technology makes sense and doesn't break physics. Then I added some supernatural stuff that's completely separate from the science part.
I've spent far too long on Atomic rockets, and far longer pushing science to it's limits... and I'm not a scientist.
>>
>>46001796
the way slugs do. Dick fights to figue out who gets to be the baby-holder
>>
>>45998128
I’m writing a setting which is basically a postWOW Azeroth. There are new factions. Each campaign I run, I’ll have my players all play races of the same faction and have them oppose the others. Each faction has its own exclusive class and races.

New Alliance: The remnants of Azeroth’s old Alliance.
Territory: Eastern Kingdoms
Class: Paladin
• Humans
• High Elves
• Dwarves
• Gnomes

Fel Horde: The old Horde fallen to the influence of the Burning Legion.
Territory: Draenor
Class: Warlock
• Orcs
• Felblood Elves
• Eredar
• Goblins

Cenarion Coalition: Originally the Cenarion Circle. The Coalition is a group of races opposed to the environmental damage caused by other factions.
Territory: Kalimdor
Class: Druid
• Worgen
• Night Elves
• Tauren
• Trolls

Forsaken Scourge: Sylvanas Windrunner claimed the Lich King’s helmet and combined the Scourge and Forsaken into one faction.
Territory: Northrend
Class: Deathknight
All races are available, though they are undead.
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.