[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I love MTG, I've been playing it for a long time, ever since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: Image.jpg (71 KB, 445x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
71 KB, 445x311
I love MTG, I've been playing it for a long time, ever since some marching band geek friends of mine introduced me to it back in freshman year of high school.
But there's always been one thing that just... never sits right in my stomach.
You see, I'm a very non-competitive person. I can watch sports, cheer and have a good time, but could I play them? No. I can enjoy video games, but stay away from leaderboards and things like that.
When it comes to MTG, I love to take my simple Naya beast deck and have a good time.
Over time though, I lost interest in playing. My friend circle changed, people coming and going, and now all the people I can play it with are super-competitive people, making a big deal over every single card that gets played or strategy that gets used. They all (no exaggeration) use blue/white control decks.
Last week, I'm playing best 2 out of 3 with one friend, and that's when the complete loss of interest hit me. I was bored.
I forfeited the match, but the thing is that I wasn't mad or anything. I just... didn't want to play anymore. Having all these people vigorously play only to win and only making decks that fit the meta to a T made the atmosphere unenjoyable for me.
What do you guys think? Am I a pussy for playing MTG for fun and relaxation instead of to be the best? Have you had experiences/feelings like this before?
>>
>>45997832

No, I get it. You're probably a Timmy or Johnny and now all your friends are Spikes. There's nothing wrong with not having fun with Spikes, Spikes can be exhausting and dull people. Try to find like-minded people to play with or if that fails maybe try to introduce your Spike friends to some other tabletop games, maybe a good eurogame like Agricola or a co-op like Arkham Horror. You might be able to find a game where either you can have fun while they're being a tryhard or where their Magic tryhardness doesn't get carried over and they can also just play for fun.
>>
>>45997832

>feeling bad about playing a game for fun

i don't think anyone can help you
>>
>>45997832
>Am I a pussy for not wanting to play a game because I'm not having fun?

Fuck no OP. The whole point of games is to have fun, this entire board is dedicated to playing traditional games because we enjoy them. There's enough things in life that you have to do even though you don't like them, why the hell would you add another? If Magic is no longer fun for you then don't play it. I've stopped playing several times over the years. After a while I'd find a new group that plays it or hear about a new set that sparks my interest and start playing again. Take a break if you need to. Eventually you might find some cool people who play it or see something new that gets you excited and decide to get back into it, or you may not, which is also fine. People change, as do communities and the games themselves. What matters is that whatever you're playing, you're enjoying yourself and are having fun, in whatever manner works for you.
>>
It's just something happens OP.

Casual groups don't remain casual for long. It's just sort of the nature of games. Someone will either buy into new cards or change their strategy to be more competitive, and the rest of the group fill follow suit.

No one is really in the wrong. I know the typical /tg/ kneejerk reaction is to call their competitiveness or your permanent casualness badwrongfun, but this is more of an issue where what you want out of the game became different from the rest of your group.

Unfortunately this is going to be awkward for you. Your best bet would be to find a new group, but that's not always an option. You could also try another format as well, but that might not work either since even "casual" formats like EDH like to be decently competitive. I would suggest taking a break for a bit and maybe keep up with the game via limited formats or just taking a break for a while.
>>
>>45997832
>super competitive people
>they all use blue white control decks.

Sounds like you need to stop being so butthurt about control and play some Sligh then. Idk what 'meta' they are tuning these decks for, but I can't think of a format right now where U/W control is any good. So I don't think it's an issue of competitiveness - just as issue of not liking to play against that style of deck. Out meta them so they have to shake it up a bit.

Tl;Dr git gud.
>>
>>45998892

So if they're bored playing against people that are too serious for them your advice is for them to get serious themselves? How is that helpful?
>>
>>45998967
Didn't sound like he was bored of trying; just bored of losing against control.
>>
>>45997832
Make a mono-red deck and blow them out with SPEED

And play this album on your turn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPSTWJm7oBA
>>
>>45997832
play how you want and find people who want to play for similar reasons
>>
>>45997832
What others in this thread have said is pretty good advice.

Just take a break, just do drafts, or find other games to play with your group.

Whatever you do, don't sell your decks off though. Speaking from experience, you'll miss them when you do start playing again.
>>
>>45997832
Ya grew up.
Happened to me. Happened to you. I stopped playing Magic for similar reasons. I was very casual, and couldn't keep up with all the new cards and decks that came out because of money issues. When I came to realize you could drop money on a net deck and beat most people at a FLGS, I moved on to a much cheaper hobby. I finally got my life together and am now happily addicted to heroine. Much cheaper than playing Magic.
>>
Finding an edh group was the best thing I ever did with mtg
>>
>>45997832
>Am I a pussy for playing MTG for fun and relaxation instead of to be the best?
You are, because you're making these shitty threads.
You didn't really play MTG for fun. Deep inside, you want to win. You want to trounce these people. Yet, you don't want to spend time learning the game, you want an instant 'hell yeah i win, sucks to be you.' matches.
Well you won't get that in MTG. So you put out this reasoning that you play MTG just for fun, and then you make these shitty threads as a justification that you're better than these 'tryhards'.
>>
>>45997832
This >>45999297 OP.
Change formats and have fun as everyone flounders with the rule change.

Or just make a cube.
>>
>>45999456

Someone struck a nerve.
>>
File: 1452986876023.jpg (68 KB, 678x960) Image search: [Google]
1452986876023.jpg
68 KB, 678x960
>>45998892
>yfw all his friends are playing uw legacy miracles 3000 dollar decks and shitting on his faggot Naya beast deck
>>
>>45999297
Cube is also awesome (so long as you're not the guy who has to cultivate and pay for it). I also usually never draft sets/blocks (just cube), but still got a huge kick out of Conspiracy. So there are things like that. Archenemy and Planechase are real hit-or-miss.

The point is, OP, you're not alone. Every time you hear about a new format, you can tell yourself with certainty, "that was made by a guy who just got sick of chasing standard". There are a lot of casual formats that can bring some interest back into a stale meta.
>>
I'm a Vorthos/Spike, an unholy combination that just dosen't work. Unless I'm prepared for the worst (like playing one the most hardcore LGS of the State, with everyone running 2000$ Standard Decks), I can get super salty upon losing a match I belived I should have won. The thing is, I don't just run cards that don't fit thematicaly ( I would never run a Eldrazi Displacer on an Ally Equipments Deck, for example) so it makes my deck building a little more limited. I consider myself pretty good at tunning flavorful competitive decks, so playing with decks I've built is pretty stressful and I end up thinking a way to make it better for the rest of the week when I should be working instead.

I really, really like winning with my decks and it makes me proud as fuck. If I want to relax, I play pre-made decks like Event Decks, Intro Packs, Duel Decks and unmoddified NetDecks so my Ego won't get hurt if I lose. You should try it with your group.
>>
File: MTG MAMI v2.jpg (63 KB, 552x434) Image search: [Google]
MTG MAMI v2.jpg
63 KB, 552x434
>>45997832
>Am I a pussy for playing MTG for fun and relaxation instead of to be the best?

Of course.
Any activity taken with dedication and responsability will always lead to its gradual perfection. It also weeds out chumps along the way.

So, stay out, scrub.
>>
File: im-projecting.jpg (95 KB, 486x330) Image search: [Google]
im-projecting.jpg
95 KB, 486x330
>>45999456
Not everyone plays for the sole purpose of winning. Some people enjoy the company of others instead of crushing them and being proclaimed "Bestest Cardboard Slinga!"
Sure no one plays to lose, but when you're surrounded by a bunch of tryhard faggots who can't stand the possibility of loss to such a degree that they netdeck the shit out of a casual gathering of friends, then it's time to pack it in and find less retarded friends.
>>
>>45997832
L I M I T E D
I
M
I
T
E
D

If you want to just play for fun without caring about competitiveness your vest bet is to just do some drafts. Its also much cheaper to do than actually building a proper deck, specially if you do it on occasion rather than on a regular basis.

That means you can take it easy on MTG while you are burn out, do a draft whenever you feel like it. If a set sparks your interest you can make block constructed decks for kitchentable play or build a cube. Yes, you making a cube with your all-time favorite cards is a wonderful idea. Get working on that cardpool ASAP.
>>
>>46000039
What nerve? I'm just stating the obvious. You think someone who by losing a game made him salty enough to quit and then whine on a cartoon board is playing for fun?
>>
>>46001410
>you're surrounded by a bunch of tryhard faggots who can't stand the possibility of loss
OP can't stand to lose he quits and made a whiny thread. That's playing for fun?
>>
>>46001433
>Environment full of retards that sap the fun out of the game. Enjoyment and Attitude of friend circle called into question, not win/loss ratio

Reading's hard.
>>
>>45997832

Cube
Limited
Printing out proxies and rocking their shit back
EDH
>>
>>45997832
It's like any hobby OP. People get into it for different reasons. No matter how much you tell someone that their 1/100th scale, Empire State Building, made entirely out of Lego, is neat but STILL a children's toy; they'll stomp their feet and demand it be taken "seriously" and anyone not building Lego like that is doing it wrong.
MTG is a fun children's card game. Once you find player's that understand that and treat it as such, you'll be better off.
>>
As long as there are people here I suppose I'll ask, since I don't wanna make another MTG thread and the format specific threads will complain. My friends birthday is coming up and I wanted to make him a deck, his favorite color combination is GB and I'm torn between an old style rock deck or a dredge/scavenge deck with Corpsejack Menace and Jarad's Orders to tutor Corpsejack and Scavenge creatures. Thoughts?
>>
>>45997832
Couple of options
1. You never really liked magic to begin with, just spending time with friends
2. You're a noncompetitive person, suboption A. A pussy scared of losing, suboption B. Just weird like that
3. You need to try EDH and play group hug

I recently realized I've been living my life thinking I was 2B, in reality I'm 2A. Now I actually compete and don't try to find excuses for why I lose or fail. It actually has boosted my confidence and sportsmanship. Start with something small that you actually care about somewhat, take it seriously but lose graciously.
>>
>>46001337
Sauce?
I can't believe they played MTG in madoka.
>>
>>46001416

>salty

You pulled that out of your ass, nowhere does it say that he was salty. You're projecting attitudes onto them presumably because you can't comprehend someone being bored with a bunch of tryhards. That's just information about yourself and has no relevance to the thread.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.