[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What fantasy stories have a rogue type of character as the main
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 396x267) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 396x267
What fantasy stories have a rogue type of character as the main villain?
>>
>>45994456
A few of the Drizzt novels had one, I think.
>>
Pirates of the Caribbean
>>
>>45994456
The Lankhmar stories usually do. On one or two occasions it's literally the Thieves' Guild.
>>
>>45994880

Artemis Enteri
>>
Fafnier and the Gray Mouser
>>
>>45994456
More than half of 1001 Nights (Arabian Nights)
>>
>>45994456

Ghost of the Night Masks, from the Clerical Quintet series, I think its the 3rd book called "Night Masks"

Its a D&D Series set in FR.
>>
File: image.jpg (563 KB, 2560x1434) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
563 KB, 2560x1434
>>
>>45996181
Artemis is more of an archrival kind of character. not a "true" BBEG
>>
>>45994456
Princess Bride.
>>
>>45994456
brent weeks makes it look like rogue/thief/assasin variations are going to be the villains of his "shadows" series, but then literally everyone is mages. the rogue takes levels in mage, all the other rogues were already mages, the blacksmith is a mage, the fighter gets a mage arm, and the big bads are all mages
>>
>>45994456
she's never technically the "main" villain of the malazan series. but the empress and the claw are all rogues, and they're the visible antagonist in some of the earlier books
>>
>>45994456
Thinking of the Brigand Leader in the first game? Baba Yaga was the string puller, and she most definitely wasn't a thief or brigand of any sort. Second Game's villainw as a Wizard, third game's villain was a Demon wizard, fourth game's villain were two Vampire Wizards . . .

Baba Yaga was a Witch . . .

QfG really seemed to feel villains were magic users. Obviously the games had more layers to them than just the main villains, of course. Seeing people you'd interacted with murder each other, help each other, betray, become allies and such along the way made up the brunt of interactions. Though it was odd if you didn't help the Thief that was named honorless in the Third game when he came to save your life at the end.

I understand they did that to prevent a perma bad end for anyone that purposefully didn't help the Thief or that never found out you could help him or that just forgot to bring him food or something. But as someone that supports bad ends, I wouldn't have minded.

This really got away from me.
>>
>>46002255
>Baba Yaga was the string puller
My memory is hazy, didn't she just cursed the Baron's families? Whatever happened to them afterwards is just the effect of the curse.
>>
>>46002410
Right, you may recall that the curse caused Elsa to lose her memory and become the Brigand Leader that organized the Brigands into a fighting force formidable enough that the Baron's forces couldn't deal with it. Especially after the valley got snowed in, preventing travel in and out, thus cutting off any reinforcements.

So, yeah, Baga Yaga cursed them, which is why I say she's the string puller. I never got the impression the curse effects were random. That said the argument could be made for the Baron's Son because while he was technically cursed like the rest of his family to run into something unfortunate, his particular Fate had more to do with the Kobold (a Kobold his personality pissed off . . . though, the Kobold wasn't anymore pleased to see my much more polite Hero).

I still blame Baga Yaga for the Brigand issues, even if she didn't have direct hand in how they behaved.
>>
>>46002588
>have to take out the story book/strategy guide again after all these years.
Yeah, you're right. It's an overall curse but the one on Elsa is targeted at her. The court jester/wizard that's accompanying her told you to bring a dispel potion to dispel the curse.

Also, Katrina isn't bad. The other dude is the main villain, probably THE main villain of the series.
>>
>>
>>46002780
Katrina softens out, but until she does, there are possible bad ends at her hands. I agree about the other guy, it was a nice binding material for the series. I'd have better memories of IV if it wasn't so damn buggy, back in the day I could barely play it because my PC was faster than it wanted and I ran into the looping bug when gathering one of the rituals.

Had to get a friend with a shitty PC to get me past that part. but then I still got stuck later because a scene with the other Vampire didn't fire in the woods, leaving me in an endless string of days and nights where nothing could advance.

Despite that, I still think those are an amazing series of games. Got the whole set on GOG so I could play them again, and, thankfully, they run fine now. Hat is off to GOG.
>>
>>46002879
Shitty ending though. the 5th game sucked.

Also, it's funny that the game have a different view on a paladin than the standard d&d and stuffs.
>>
>>46003145

Yeah it was, but in a good way. More of an Honor System than a divinity thing, a bit of Jedi crossed with Demon Hunter or something like that. Hard to argue with the sword engulfed in blue flame as a cool factor.

And the 5th game had its problems, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some of Sierra's other sad drowning into the realms of 3D gaming (King's Quest VIII). And the character/story were still there, the Liontaur buddy you've had since the second game getting poisoned had me pissed off, especially since you need to give him a poison cure pill right away, and I didn't have any on my hero my first play through.

So, yeah, I'd agree the Fifth game was a low point in the series, but it did still have some good moments that had me reacting to the drama, laughs and adventure.

It's a good sign that 3D gaming isn't always the way to go. We've had Heroine's Quest and other games, in that style, come out more recently that proved you didn't have to go 3D. You could always just do better and better looking 2D visuals.

Sad we haven't seen something that blends adventure and RPG quite like that out of a few sparse titles. I like Quest for Infamy, but it's definitely more Adventure than RPG. Heroine's Quest was a great time though.
>>
>>45994456

>Jimmy the Hand
>Cugel the Clever
>Robin the Hood and/or Locksley
>>
Hamlet
>>
>>45999737
That was gonna be my contribution.
>>
File: dd_7.jpg (32 KB, 294x253) Image search: [Google]
dd_7.jpg
32 KB, 294x253
>>45994456
>>
>>46003145
I liked the 5. Although a lot of that might have stemmed from having opportunity to bring Erana back

>>46003546
>villains
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.