[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to run a game with a setting sort of like Shadowrun, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
I want to run a game with a setting sort of like Shadowrun, but without needing 500 dice and such a complicated rule set.

What are some other near-futuristic tabletop rpgs?
>>
GURPS
>>
File: world-of-shadows2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
world-of-shadows2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45985338

here cummer
>>
>>45985338
Magic or no?
>>
>>45985356
I feel like GURPS is still too complex
>>
File: Chrome And Punks.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Chrome And Punks.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45985338

and if you're angry about elves
>>
>>45985381
Either or
>>
>>45985406
Thank you my ninja, reading them now.
>>
File: GURPS_Lite_Fourth_Edition_.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS_Lite_Fourth_Edition_.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45985386
>>
>>45985461
I love you guys. Props to you all for being so helpful.

Praise the Sun.
>>
>>45985338
Cyberpunk 2020, GURPS if you're a masochist, Dark Heresy if you're just looking for a rules set and want to throw out all the setting stuff in the book. Outside of that you can look around 1d4chan and see if some long forgotten project on there might work, but thats a crapshoot at best.
>>
>>45985338
Interface Zero is what you want. It's a Savage Worlds variant with a pretty simple ruleset and chargen system (which already puts it head and shoulders above GURPS) and one of the few cyberpunk settings that addresses the question of what the fuck Africa is doing without just making the entire continent a warzone.
>>
>>45985577
Will look it up, thanks bro. If I remember, I rather liked Savage Worlds
>>
>>45985557
Also forgot to add, again if you're willing to throw out all the setting info and build from scratch, me and a friend are trying to use the Edge of the Empire rules for a more modernized campaign. It's been a lot of fucking work, but we're co-dming which helps with the load.
>>
>>45985577
This.
Even if you don't like the setting (what the fuck are they even doing with the UK?) it's full of shit to steal for your own games. I have fond memories of running a weird franken-cyberpunk setting using bits of it and the Sci-Fi companion. It was classic Gibson cyberpunk crossbred with CP2020 and it kicked ass.
>>
How is CP2020? Looks very 80's
>>
File: 1343533939238.jpg (595 KB, 793x1122) Image search: [Google]
1343533939238.jpg
595 KB, 793x1122
>>45985755
The system is still good, medium crunch, fairly straightforward but lethal combat, lots of customization for PCs. Skill list a bit too long but whatever. It's got a fun setting, lots of sourcebooks and campaign material and it's only weakness is that the tech needs updating (fax machines everywhere).

I'd recommend it over Shadowrun.
>>
>>45985577
>addresses the question of what the fuck Africa is doing without just making the entire continent a warzone.

And makes it even more retarded than the classic "all Africa is a shithole". Now Africa is somehow the world's banking centre, the world's genetic engineering leader, space colonization leader and all-around amazing place. Somehow. This part of the setting is very poorly thought out.

I like their take on the Chinese Mandarinate though.
>>
>>45985755
It is. It came out around 1989 and the rules really show their age. I never tried the updated combat from the GM handbook, but the combat rules in core are just dreadful.
Also netrunning is shit, it's real easy to min-max, the skill list is fucking gargantuan and Solos just roflstomp everything in combat.
I like the fluff, but the crunch is just not for me.
>>
>>45986097
>>45986048
Now I don't know who to believe!
>>
>>45985338
Interface Zero is a good one. Uses Savage Worlds, and a Fate version is coming out soon.
>>
>>45986185
Who're you gonna believe, the anon with some random text, or the guy with a hot chromed big-titty gynoid girl as his pic?
>>
>>45986185
Believe yourself, I'm sure the corebook is easy to find on the 'net.
Savage Worlds faggot here, I will admit CP2020's fluff and sheer detail when it comes to gear is just delicious. There's a reason I converted a shit-ton of weapons and vehicles from it for my own game.
>>
File: 1448211768785.jpg (167 KB, 800x1299) Image search: [Google]
1448211768785.jpg
167 KB, 800x1299
>>45986236
You make a very strong argument.
>>
Interface Zero looks nice, but I'm worried that the large rulebook, with it's many options, will scare away my players.

Maybe I'll start them off with one of these...
>>45985406
>>45985380
>>
>>45986485
Anyone have more of these super small RPGs?
>>
Have some shitty CP2020-to-Savage Worlds vehicle conversions. I probably fucked up on the Daikani walking APC thing's toughness and armour, so take that with a grain of salt.

AV-3 Aerocop (AV)
Top Speed 375, Acceleration 75, Climb 0, Handling bonus 1
Toughness 15 (Armour 3) Crew 1 (2 passengers)
Equipped with police lights, radio, autopilot, ejector seats, spotlight and secure back seat

Swan Aerodyne (AV)
Top Speed 150, Acceleration 75, Climb 0, Handling bonus 0
Toughness 16 (Armour 4) Crew 1 (3 passengers)
Equipped with emergency compensator systems, autopilot

Tetracorp Fei Lien 100 (AV)
Top Speed 169, Acceleration 75, Climb 0, Handling bonus 0
Toughness 14 Crew 1 (3 passengers)
Equipped with radio w/ scrambler, radar, ejector seats, seat massagers

Lambo-Fiat Mach (AV)
Top Speed 300, Acceleration 225, Climb 1, Handling bonus 1
Toughness 12 Crew 1 (2 passengers)
Equipped with autopilot, top of the line stereo and video entertainment systems
Note: Anyone operating this craft with a Piloting of d6 or lower has the handling bonus become a penalty

Kundalini GSR1200 Tetsuo (motorcycle)
Top Speed 76, Acceleration 38, Handling bonus 2
Toughness 7 Crew 1 (1 passenger)

Kanemitsu Ashigaru (motorcycle)
Top Speed 29, Acceleration 14, Handling bonus 0
Toughness 7 Crew 1 (1 passenger)
Note: Has a rear cargo compartment capable of carrying 55lbs safely

Arasaka Daikani (walking APC)
Top Speed 30 (75 in wheeled mode), Acceleration 8 (19 in wheeled mode), Handling penalty -1
Toughness 18/16/15 (Heavy Armour) Crew 2
Equipped with 7.62 minigun (24/48/96, 2d8+4, ROF 4, 4000 rounds), missile pods
>>
>>45986539
Afraid not, but I'm pleasantly surprised to find a cyberpunk Lasers and Feelings hack exists
>>
>>45986185
People complain about the skill list being too long. They forget, that Cyberpunk 2020 being class based, you get 10 skills, and then you can distribute some points among "hobby" skills (you'll take 3 to 4 more skills at max.).

Combat is pretty darn good out and lethal of the box.

The system is ridiculously simple. Only morons find it difficult. Here's how you play:
Most of the time you take stat+skill+1d10 vs. a fixed TN (15 = challenging, 20 = difficult, 25 = very difficult, 30 legendary). Roll a 1 and it's a critical mistake. Roll a 10, it's a critical success. Roll one more d10 and add the result to your score. There are tables for critical failures and successes. Combat works the same. You just start by making an initiative roll. Roll for hit location (unless it was a called shot), roll the damage rating of your gun, deduct armor value, cross as many boxes in the health monitor as you received damage. Make a roll to see if you pass out or die. That's it. You now know how to play Cyberpunk 2020.

Netrunning is little bit more confusing, but neither GURPS nor Interface Zero solved this problem. The only game that has a good netrunning system is Ex Machina.

I also would like to mention that Cyberpunk 2020 is one of the easiest systems to mod.
>>
TechNoir also seems very interesting, but it's more on the narrative side of gaming.
>>
>>45988833
How does hacking work, does it have a cyberspace/matrix world? Is it good?
>>
>>45988928
I don't like the netrunning system as it's a separate minigame. But some other anons do like it. Guess it's a question of taste.

There's a matrix world which is a virtual representation of the real world (Ihara-Gubb algorithm). The matrix is divided in different zones (GUS-MAT, Pacifica, Chiba...). The netrunner has to move inside the matrix from it's position to the system he wants to hack, avoiding the MatCops whenever he does something illegal, which is about most of the time. Anyway, once he reaches the system, he must breach it either by smashing the systems walls (brute force), or by hacking the code door (discretion). The systems are protected by ICE. Fighting ICE is again similar to normal combat. The netrunner uses programs for attack and defense.

That's it very roughly.
>>
>>45989119
Sounds reasonable. Have to get into the grit and play it to be sure, but sounds good.
>>
>>45989221
>>
>>45986079
Honestly, I've always believed that Africa would be a perfect place for evil corporations to run amok.
>favorable exchange rate
>literally no one cares about all the genocides and shit that happen their, so you can get away with all sorts of heinous shit
>plenty of weak and corrupt governmental institutions to push around
>some truly beautiful and exotic locales for the rich and powerful
>some real low-tech isolated shitholes for someone to get off the grid
I will say though: space colonization leader makes no sense to me.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.