[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good would Horus Heresy be as a movie? Would catapaulting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9
File: 40k.jpg (17 KB, 250x183) Image search: [Google]
40k.jpg
17 KB, 250x183
How good would Horus Heresy be as a movie?

Would catapaulting the franchise into mainstream culture ruin the fanbase?
>>
Was the Mortal Kombat movie good?
Was the DnD movie good?
Was the Warcraft movie good?
Movies have stopped being an art form and are now a source for either the grotesque or a means of capturing as much Jewgold as possible. A movie would be a horrible thing to create because it would be forced to be geared towards the masses, and the masses do not particularly like Messiah figures this day and age being any shade of white, in spite of the Emprah being Turkish.
>>
>>45981406
>How good would Horus Heresy be as a movie?
Pretty lame, as it's too big even for a trilogy. It would have to be made so even someone who never heard of Warhammer before, would understand what and why is happening.

Maybe Horus Rising could make a good movie, but then we still didn't even scrape the main plot.

A TV series would be pretty neato tough.
>>
>>45981434
the mortal kombat movie was hilarious and doesn't deserve to be in the same category as those other two

next you're going to say the street fighter movie wasn't a masterpiece as well
>>
>>45981406
Terrible as fuck. Animatrix-esque compilation movie would be better. Actual ongoing TV series would be the best way to do it.

>Would catapaulting the franchise into mainstream culture ruin the fanbase?
It's already ruined. We'll just have slightly more yaoi than usual, and if it's profitable mainstream media would try hard to cash in on the craze of 40k.
>>
>>45981406
Mediocre.

No.
>>
I doubt the mainstream public could get into 40k in any major way. The pauldrons are too huge for them to handle.
>>
Too complex for the masses.
Some of the coolest themes would get lost.
>>
>>45981434
>Was the Warcraft movie good?

The what now?
>>
>>45981538
I dunno', a sizable chunk of "the masses" understand satire on some level.

And that's all 40k is.
>>
>>45981406
The movie would have to be 239487142 hours long
But what about a TV series? Everybody loves stuff like Netflix series.
Remember Breaking Bad, Daredevil and stuff
People even loves the Walking Dead somehow, even tho it's fucking boring, and if people can tolerate that shit it means it would be IMPOSSIBLE they get bored with a 30k tv series.
Given how the characters already have voices and appearances, it's not like an unacceptable imposition to the reader.
TL;DR: I want to see live action World Eaters cleaving shit with chainaxes
>>
>>45981406
It would be better to make it a series rather than a movie or a trilogy

The warhammer fan base is already shit
>>
It would only be good if it was done in the realistic style of an 80's anime film, like GiTS or Akira. Anything else would be too hard to do, and look like crap.
>>
>>45981406
Honestly, I think they would be better off adapting 40k instead of 30k.
Less complex emotions and back story to wade through.
Xenos and really corrupted chaos are a much more visually interesting fight than Marines vs. Marines with different colors.
To be honest, as important as it is as a background story, the Horus heresy is kinda boring. Hell, the War in Heaven would make for a more interesting movie.
>>
>>45983659
>Boohoo, I don't like any new stuff, everything was better in the 80's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u71Zz1L4UJ4
>>
>>45981556
It's a meme like Batman vs Superman.
>>
>>45983664
Are you saying that something we have almost no detail about or something that would need more than half the movie to introduce the setting are better to turn into a movie than an already almost fully fledged story because imperium vs imperium is visually and narratively boring?
You serious?
>>
>>45981538
I'm pretty sure everyone can process Paradise Lost rehash #2352, anon. Warhammer really isn't very complex.
>>
>ruin the fanbase?

It can get worse?
>>
>>45981406
It simply wouldn't. Lotsa pages. Too many plot threads, useless and not, spread across too many books. And not really good books at that. Really bad material for film. But should that ever happen...

GAWD EMPEROR YES IT WOULD
>>
>>45984030
It can ALWAYS get worse. If you think otherwise you don't know shit.
>>
>>45984242
There's literally no way.
40k fags are the absolute bottom of the barrel. Anything, anything they try to mix 40k with automatically becomes worse.

Any change to community, any new addition, would definitely improve it.
>>
>>45983856
Star wars spent a minute and a half explaining the setting and giving background. You don't need to explain everything, just a quick over view, in a gruff voice.
>Its the 40th millennia...
>bla bla bla...
>Humanity is beset on all side by xeno, mutants, and the slaves of evil..
>bla bla bla...
>In this future of grim, darkness there's only war . . .cut to the Imperial Guard dying by the dozens.
That said a movie set in 40k wouldn't really have a story to tell beyond a generic We gots to stop da badguys
>>
Just for fun, how do you think the plot of a Hollywood version of 40k would go? Keeping in mind that executive meddling will occur at high levels.
>>
>>45984275
>40k fags are the absolute bottom of the barrel
There are furries.
There are /a and /vn fags.
There are (STILL) bronies.
There are ERPers.
There's general saturday morning cartoons crowd.
There capeshit readers.
There's MTG ffs.

Compared to any of those hobbies, tabletop and P&P crowd is damn great, mature and intelligent. And 40k fags are just a saltier and more widespread variety with an occasinal edgelord thrown in.

If you honestly think that 40k fandom is THE ABSOLUTE WORST it means you just marinated yourself exclusively in it to the point of oversaturation. Try getting deeper into anime or comic books and you'll soon start missing the smelly neckbeards. Not beckause they are so great, but because there are a lot worse faggotries around.
>>
>>45984358
Dunno about the exact plot, but I'm sure it would have a happy ending, with the main character - a charming and elegant blonde prettyboy, of course - perma-killing a daemon of Tzeetch or something. There'd be no Slaanesh or Nurgle because rating. Oh, and the Imperium would be far more waving-the-flag-we-are-the-greatest-and-flawless murrican.

This being said, Horus Heresy Netflix series? Yes please.
>>
>>45984466
I don't see the problem with a happy ending. A "local" temporary happy ending would be just fine. "Congrats, you saved the planet and pushed back its doomsday by an extra couple years".
Just have a Necron wake up after the credits or something, that'll do it.
>>
Space Marines are just too CGI intensive to capture on Cinema or TV well, except for a ludicrous budget. And the Horus Heresy is a terrible idea for a movie, or even a trilogy. Too many characters for one. Like 18 fucking primarchs, the emperor, ollanius pius, malcador, etc.
>>
>>45984513
A local and temporary one, yeah, but what I'm worried is that the Hollywood folk would push for happy ending that would seriously upset the world; something along the lines of the main character slaying Abaddon at Cadia in a way that would make resurrecting him impossible.
I'm all for pushing the storyline forward, but not this way.
>>
>>45984358
1. Space Marine romance with a SoB or civilian is obligatory. See: The Hobbit

2 There will be female space marines, they just won't be shown, or they'll fulfill non combat/combat light roles like Pilot and Medic and and Librarian, and will not have big mclargehuge augments

3. Space Marines well just be regular sized dudes in fancy fatigues, carrying rifles

4. Essentially, they'll be guardsmen.
>>
>>45984388
None of those are anywhere near as bad as the 40k crowd. Thinking otherwise is just you hoping to excuse how retarded they are.

They are the worst part of /tg/. They spam more than questers, they argue about even dumber things than the ERPers, and they have zero self-awareness.
You thinking they're not the worst is just you being marinated enough in their shit to overlook them. I myself fell into that lull, until I saw some 40kfags posting their shit elsewhere on this site.

There is nothing more embarrassing or cringe-inducing than watching a 40k fag try to press his memes outside of /tg/. Nothing.
>>
>>45981434
The emperor is not Turkish.

He was born 8000 BC. The first turks came to anatolia around 1100 AD.

He's either Proto-Armenian (Shulaveri shomu) or one of the many ethnicities the turks genocided when they came to Anatolia.
>>
>>45984624
THERE IS NO TURKISH GENOCIDE

PAPACY GET OUT

TURK STRONG AND MERCIFUL

NO GENOCIDE HERE

THEY GOT SICK AND MOVED AWAY
>>
>>45983908

Oh mans. Its sad but most people actually can't. Fuck, most 40k fans don't even know its that. TV and film has to be even more dumbed down than current white dwarf if that's any indication.
>>
>>45981406
Terrible, in large part because 40k is too grim for an animated film, CGI only films are shit, and live action 40k would look cheesy as fuck. A better solution would be a miniseries akin to the old star wars the clone wars. Just broken up stories of characters throughout the heresy. Eg. episode 1 could be Garro's perspective on Isstvan III. Show could be animated because animated tv shows are often seen as somewhat less childish than animated films.
>>
>>45981434
>in spite of the Emprah being Turkish
He really isn't Turkish, Turks didn't migrate to Anatolia until the 11th century. He is Anatolian, and while I cannot recall the time period of the Indo-European migrations I am fairly certain he predates the arrival of Indo-Europeans in the region. Since we don't really have any information on the inhabitants of Anatolia before the Indo-Europeans he could either be a member of the Proto Indo-Europeans a peoples who are presumed extinct although the Basques may be partially descended from them, related to the peoples that inhabited Babylon and the other fertile cresent civilizations (nobody is sure of their ancestry but some believe they are related to Semites like the Arabs and historical Jews) or be from some unknown group.

Regardless as skin colour is a fairly quick adaptation to undergo change he could easily be presumed to be brownish, like modern Turks.
>>
I think it would be too difficult to fit everything required into a single film. You'd have to have large amounts of explanation to fit in all the lore.

So I think it would work better to do a few smaller ones first - Ciaphas Cain, Gaunt's Ghosts, Fire Warrior, a Space Hulk one, and maybe something from the Space Marine game. They don't have to tie into one another except for the cinematic universe, but you can use them to set up a lot of the background in an ordered way. It means people can then come the HH films with more knowledge of what's going on.

Also, it would be cheaper.

Taking the Ciaphas Cain option - do the one where he first meets Amberley.
We start with him explaining the planet's current state to Jurgen, and then the shuttle pilot tells him they've arrived. Cain gets off the shuttle, and goes to the IG barracks, gets into a shouting match with a PDF commander, and establishes an explanation of the Commisarat.
Amberley later can explain the Inquisition, and we also get an introduction to Tau and Tyranids.

Next film we do Fire Warrior. We already know about the Tau, and the Imperium, but this introduces the forces of Chaos, and we get a look at the Imperium from the outside.
And so on
>>
>all these people who want to make shows of the horus heresy

No, for fucks sake, aren't those terrible books bad enough? Leave the fucking Horus Heresy alone, it was never supposed to be expanded on. Keep your OC donut steel loyalist deathguard space marines ffs
>>
>>45984591
>where on the doll did the space marine touch you
>>
>>45981568
It ain't the 80s and 90s anymore pops. The game is edgy serious now with hints of satire. It's okay, things change. Let the new generation handle things. They probably know best anyways gramps.
>>
>>45985011
I think a Ciaphas Cain film would be terrible. Much of the fun is the difference between what Cain is really thinking, and how he looks on the outside.

Gaunt's Ghosts would be the easiest to adapt. It doesn't need the humongous budget of a Space Marine film, has the most straightforward stories, the most relatively relatable charcters, and is very much operators doing operator things, something that Hollywood would know how to do.
>>
>>45987086
What if Morgan Freeman or Keanu Reeves narrate Cain's inner thoughts?
>>
>>45985085
fuck you the books are great
>>
>>45984591
....If you legit feel that way about a community, you should not be interacting with them any more.
Seriously. Walk the hell away, find something else to do with your time. For your goddamn mental health.
Check back in about a year, (or never, if you don't care.)
Of course, you don't *actually* feel this way, you're just shitposting.
>>
>>45986991
In what way is any of the Marvel Universe schlock 'edgy serious'?
>>
>>45986991
"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company."
>>
>>45987086
>I think a Ciaphas Cain film would be terrible. Much of the fun is the difference between what Cain is really thinking, and how he looks on the outside.
The Blackadder TV series did it well enough. Cain is just Blackadder/Flashman in space.
>>
>>45981406

It would make a good Anime Series. Movie, not as much. Not enough time and too many themes/characters/stories.
>>
>>45984905

>too grim for an animated film

Japanese Anime begs to differ.
>>
>>45983767
it was though. The animation was more detailed.
>>
>>45981434
>Was the Mortal Kombat movie good?

Yes, it was, you pleb.
>>
>>45984905
>episode 1
>Isstvan III
Episode 1 would have to be around the time The Last Church happened.
>>
>>45984972
>Regardless as skin colour is a fairly quick adaptation to undergo change he could easily be presumed to be brownish, like modern Turks.
some turks are white as fuck. ancient anatolians were probably even whiter, since it's probable that a lot of middle-eastern genes started diffusing with the spread of agriculture

>Proto Indo-Europeans a peoples who are presumed extinct although the Basques may be partially descended from them
basques would only be western Europe, probably only Britain, Spain, and western France. It's kind of silly to assume that there was a single culture that spread across the whole of Europe before the coming of Indo-Europeans.
>>
None of the existing 40k canon should be made into a movie. It just isn't good enough. Gaunt's Ghosts and Eisenhorn/Ravenor comes close, but the first really requires a long, long TV series and the latter is probably unfilmable.

You COULD write a decent movie for 40k. Just so long as you used the setting but not the existing stories. Most of 40k is just a rip-off of other media, which was okay when it was satire but doesn't really cut it if you want it to be taken seriously. The other reason you can't do an adaptation of an existing story is that the special effects demands are so great that you'd have to be writing around them.

The sad thing is, I just don't trust GW to do it. I'd rather have no movie than a bad one. I really want to see a 40k movie - heck, I've even sketched out a plot for one (don't pretend you haven't thought about it) - but I don't think we'll ever get one.

(also, and this isn't strictly relevant, I still don't think 30k should have been a thing in the first place. It ruins the mystery. What keeps 40k interesting, assuming you want to take it somewhat seriously, is the debate about whether the Imperium is good or evil - whether it's just doing the best under difficult circumstances, or whether its oppressive totalitarian theocracy is holding mankind back. Pinning down the Emperor as the good guy and mankind's saviour, rather than an extra-powerful mutant who managed to make himself mankind's dictator, shits all over that)
>>
>>45981406
I'd likely suck, but maybe bring in some much needed fresh blood. Although I imagine the number so SM players would out number everyone else to the point where the next set of codexs would just be people with 3+.
>>
>>45992409
>Although I imagine the number so SM players would out number everyone else to the point where the next set of codexs would just be people with 3+.
I don't know - I imagine you'd write a 40k movie to feature the imperial guard heavily (and then cram in every other imperial faction that'll fit - SM, grey knights, sisters, inquisition, etc).
>>
File: 40kTV.jpg (976 KB, 994x3404) Image search: [Google]
40kTV.jpg
976 KB, 994x3404
MANDATORY
>>
File: REAL Primarchs 2.0.png (1 MB, 1250x980) Image search: [Google]
REAL Primarchs 2.0.png
1 MB, 1250x980
>>45992673
Not bad, but I'd say this is a much more fitting cast.
>>
>>45992673
Who the fuk is the dude with the mohawk
I recognise literally everyone else but who the fuck is mohawk.
>>
>>45987531
They really are not. Inconsistencies between the authors alone make it a jumbled mess
>>
>>45992673
>Khan's actor
No clue who he is, but why him instead of someone actually Asian-looking?
>>
>>45992927
valdor
>>
File: khal-drogo-jason-momoa.jpg (393 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
khal-drogo-jason-momoa.jpg
393 KB, 2560x1600
>>45993148
because we already know that he does barbarian warlord well

although for the record I think Khan should be played by an asian
>>
File: Tomohiro_Ishii_2016.jpg (14 KB, 220x283) Image search: [Google]
Tomohiro_Ishii_2016.jpg
14 KB, 220x283
>>45993364
The Khan, played by Japanese wrestler Tomohiro Ishii with a beard.
>>
I wouldn't say you could never make a movie of anything. After all, "You could never make a good movie about Lego"would have been an accepted as fact a few years ago. (And I bet some of you are about to tell me the lego movie is shit. Good on you for thinking differently from popular opinion, I suppose).

That said, the Horus Heresy might make a good single-season TV series under the right writer(s) and director. The important thing is they remember not to strictly follow any other author's books and only focus on creating their own interpretation of the overall story, and address the important themes therein. So what if other books say a conversation or scene didn't play out that way? This is 40k, where everything is just in-universe propaganda and nothing is safe from retcon!
>>
Make it a grand spectacle for neckbeards around the world and don't take it seriously. Don't try to turn it into high art or something.
Cast wrestlers as fucking primarchs, hire some metal band to make a soundtrack. Oldschool 40k artists to draw storyboards and art direction. It'll be the most cringy and the most fun thing you ever watched in cinema, and it'll be glorious.
>>
>>45990391
Akira had a fuck huge budget. As does every well animated movie and OVA, regardless of the time period.

80s tv anime still used lots of stock footage.
>>
>>45984388
tfw I'm 3 of the listed hobbies and have cast off the shackles of shame to revel in ruining the enjoyment of others
>>
>>45995443
Dawg, even shit like Golgo 13, Evangelion, Tenchi, Ninja Scroll, and Goku: Midnight Eye look much better compared to a lot of the digital stuff today. Fuck, Jin Roh looks amazing.

Digital animation is too stiff, clean, and lifeless.
>>
File: 1449078489076.jpg (73 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
1449078489076.jpg
73 KB, 800x598
>>45992304
>The sad thing is, I just don't trust GW to do it. I'd rather have no movie than a bad one
>>
>>45981406
>ruin the fanbase

I have some bad news for you anon..
>>
The main problem I see with this, as many people have stated before, is that the lore of 40k is almost impossible to make a movie out of.
One: it'd probably take more movies than there are Star Wars movies currently in circulation. You'd have to cover the War in Heaven, the Unification Wars, and The Great Crusade, which could all be series in of themselves. Plus with that many amounts of movies we're pretty much destined for at least one to be terrible, but it's also more likely that we will end up getting the equivalent of the Star Wars Prequels because...
Two: no director or studio in the right mind would make a movie (or anything for that matter) about the current lore of 40k. There's just too much grimdark stuff in it for it to be deemed "acceptable" by any social group except the explicit fans of 40k before it became a movie. This is primarily because of:
-Genocide of a mass scale happening so much it's become background noise
-Dictatorship
-Blatant authoritarianism
-Very religious overtones
And these are just problems with the Imperium. We also have Slaanesh, and because of how a majority of our society sees sexual imagery as something worse than graphic violence, they'd probably either heavily censor Slaanesh or maybe even outright retcon him/her/it out of existence. Now most of us understand here that Slaanesh isn't just the Chaos god of sex, but if anyone who wasn't a 40k fan saw Slaanesh, that'd be what they think, and those people are the people that the director of this movie would be making money off of, not us. Also the main way movies work (which is generally accepted worldwide now) is this: Beginning exposition/Antagonist or conflict revealed/Climax against antagonist or conflict/Happy Ending. Almost ALL of 40k doesn't fall into this (especially the "happy ending" part), but the director would be making this in order to make money, so he'd try his damnedest to make it fit, even if he had to change major plot points in order to do so.
>>
>>45999509
tl;dr
Even if we did get a movie about 40k, it probably wouldn't be the 40k we know.
>>
>>45999509
Or they could just not give any backstory at all and try their best to make it a decent sci fi/fantasy series. I mean you don't necessarily HAVE to know how the primarchs are the genetically engineered offspring of the emperor who is the reincarnated souls of a bajillion psykers who gain powers from the warp blah blah blah blah blah

You could just put a guy in power armor and say "He's a primarch, that means he's the son of the emperor. The emperor is... an emperor. Space marines are super soldiers. Chaos is basically the devil blah blah blah blah"

People will buy it, and those who are interested will look into the franchise more once they leave the cinema. Hell it worked with LoTR I don't see why they couldn't pull off a similiar thing here.
>>
File: eat sheet.jpg (155 KB, 400x505) Image search: [Google]
eat sheet.jpg
155 KB, 400x505
>>45981434
Oh go the fuck back to /pol/ and die of cancer. Jesus fucking Christ you """""people""""" are a disease.
>>
File: 1282801604959[1].png (89 KB, 251x204) Image search: [Google]
1282801604959[1].png
89 KB, 251x204
>>46003871
>implying anything he said was untrue
I'm sorry, but I just have to say it: Mortal Kombat wasn't that good
>>
>>45992673
So are they're going to be any female characters in this film?
>>
>>46006183
Why in the world would you want that?
>>
>>45981406
Given what Kikelord Abrams has done to Star Trek and Star Wars?

The fuck do you think?
>>
>>46006149
...i enjoyed both movies
>>
>>46003871
>implying mortal kombat was good
>>
>>45981434
>Movies have stopped being an art form and are now a source for either the grotesque or a means of capturing as much Jewgold as possible.
Hollywood kiddie detected.
>>
>>45981434
The Emperor has no race or ethnicity, seeing as he can fucking shape shift
>>
>>45981434
>implying the WH40k fanbase isn't already the smelly, cheeto-fingered masses
>>
>>45987865
Please don't try to use logic on the trolls. It upsets them greatly.
>>
>>46006183
You new to 40k?
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.