[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never played anything other than a pure melee class.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 1457555884946.png (201 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1457555884946.png
201 KB, 640x360
I've never played anything other than a pure melee class. Would sorcerer + eldritch knight be a good way to ease my way into magic casters? Other than 1 level of something like ranger to give myself martial weapons proficiency, what else would I put into that sort of character?
>>
>>45980100
>ever playing anything else than a full caster
>>
>>45980153
I thought there wasn't much sense in going pure sorcerer, unlike wizards.
>>
>>45980153
There are so many memes in this post I am surprised you didn't apply the name "ebin".
>>
File: now.gif (1 MB, 321x194) Image search: [Google]
now.gif
1 MB, 321x194
>>
>>45980100
Go combat bard or cleric or something if you want to be a caster who can hit things.
>>
>>45980235
That's a SA meme, it has a 90% failure chance here.
>>
>>45980100
>I've never played anything other than a pure melee class. Would sorcerer + eldritch knight be a good way to ease my way into magic casters? Other than 1 level of something like ranger to give myself martial weapons proficiency, what else would I put into that sort of character?

what system are you planning on playing in?

if we are talking DnD and DnD clones I've found e5 Warlock and Labyrinth Lord Cleric to be good ways to ease into casting while still having proficiency with weapons.
>>
>>45980252
It's the sorcerer part that appeals to me, but I remember hearing at some point that EK levels made you a lot less squishy.
>>
If you're gonna roll eldritch knight or arcane trickster, go full 20 levels into it. They're fun versions of fighter and rogue but multiclassing usually just waters them down.

Ranger might be a fun choice to move into the territory of casting. You can still get your melee fix but you also get fun combat and utility spells to alter your playstyle. Paladin too I suppose. But I feel like the Ranger spell list is open to a little more creativity in use, which might give you more insight to why casters do in fact own (This is coming from a fellow Meleeholic)
>>
Oh, it's 5th edition. I swear, I forget to say what edition I'm talking about every time I post here.
>>
Go Valor Bard. All the fun of martial weapons and medium armor, plus all the fun of messing with people's heads via magic. And if you want more explosions, just steal some from someone else's spell list.
>>
I'm assuming 5e.

Eldritch knight + sorcerer is a weird combo, because EK uses intelligence and sorc uses charisma.

Draconic sorcerers are already noticeably less squishy than wizards because they get both bonus AC and bonus HP.

Another way to make yourself last even longer in combat is taking shield (as a reaction to being attacked, +5 AC) and shocking grasp (makes target unable to use reactions). So you'd get melee'd, activate your shield to make it miss, then on your turn shock the enemy and move away without provoking an opportunity attack.

(Could have asked this in the 5eg btw).
>>
>>45981090
Also, sorcerer is a pretty good choice as a first caster. They get a lot less spells known, so you'd have a handful of signature spells that you get to know really well. Whereas a prepared caster like a wizard is always juggling a greater number of spells, and not only has to think about what spells she knows, but also about which spells to prepare each day.
>>
>What was the conclusion of the Prestige Class experiment? Will there be more? Or didn't fit?

>Mike Mearls
>@mikemearls
>surprisingly soft support. On hold for now.

Can someone translate?
>>
I used a premade build that was kind of like that the last time I played NWN2, but I think it only worked because lol3.5 and some game-specifc homebrew.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Eldritch_Paladin_of_Candlekeep_Pal%284%29,Sor%286%29,EK%2810%29,ASC%2810%29
>>
>>45981223
Their feedback survey for the prestige class UA got them lukewarm results, so they're not going to bother making more for 5e, at least for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>45981271
Is that Candlekeep class just for the game? Looks neat.
>>
>>45981958

These walls contain the world's knowledge
>>
>>45980185
While that's true, sorcerers are already a spell-level behind wizards most of the game, so they suffer even more for losing caster levels. So you'll want to get into full casting progression PrC ASAP, but anything that loses caster levels is generally done better by a wizard(and not just in the sense that wizards are better in general).
>>
>>45982071

So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
>>
>>45982161

I should have joined the army
>>
>>45981958
It was created for Mask of the Betrayer, but there's no reason you couldn't use it elsewhere, as long as your DM is okay with the metamagic bonuses.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.