[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does your character handle inter-party conflict?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: 1457827792133.webm (1 MB, 720x406) Image search: [Google]
1457827792133.webm
1 MB, 720x406
How does your character handle inter-party conflict?
>>
>>45971992
Idk Just recently a PC sperged out IC because he heard something OOC that rustled his jimmies.
>>
>>45976126
That's a ban
>>
>>45971992

Execution.
>>
He just takes a step back from it since he's generally apathetic about the whole adventuring thing. If someone gets into a conflict with him, he'll put forward an effort, though it's kind of a mixed bag. Since he's a normal human the alien characters might get angry or annoyed with him but usually won't take things too far out of risk of harming or killing him by accident, but he has been injured over lost temper on their behalf.

Either way, one of the other characters is the designated conflict resolver.
>>
>>45971992
>What's going on...
>...
>...Imma do this until you two realize you're being dumb.

How can a species that's so dumb be simultaneously so intelligent?
>>
>>45971992
Resolve the conflict by playing a childrens card game
>>
Flip a coin.
>>
I toss a grenade between them
>>
>>45971992
Usually with trouble. Hard tried to sell the barbarians dwarven mead, so he shoved a pixie shroom down his throat. Gave him a furry dog arm on his scales.

Funny, the shrooms could make you an elf, which is the half-elven barbarians main quest. >>45971992
>>
>>45979750
Dogs are the best people.
>>
>>45979750

You're giving middle lab too much credit. "Hey, ball, I'll take it back to person! ... Can't take it back. Will wait"

Labs have many fine qualities, and they can be very clever; but a dumb lab is like "bag of hammers" dumb.
>>
As a DM, I have a really easy solution that works about 90% of the time.

>2Characters fighting
>Either in combat or about to be
>Regular NPC walks up
Wow adventurers, you must be here for the big games this weekend.
>Arena style fights, winner gets prize
>Players enter to fight one another, with no chance of player kill.
>Players prove dominance, fight it out, whatever, one or both win gold.
>>
By letting the conflicting members fight until they come to a compromise. They'll be better off by the end of it.

The party hates him for it though.
>>
>>45980442

Golden Retriever

But rest is spot on.
>>
Usually ignores minor gripes, but if there's something that's affecting the whole party, then he strongarms everyone into not being shits.
Being a big guy is fun in that way.
>>
File: scoundrel sul.png (4 MB, 1000x1325) Image search: [Google]
scoundrel sul.png
4 MB, 1000x1325
he's usually the source of it
>>
>>45971992

Honorable combat. Also, not being a child.
>>
>>45971992
My exalted character sits down and laughs. He's an asshole and we're a bunch of siblings. He's very silent though and when the conflict is with him he just stares at them until it goes away. Major asshole.

My wizard guilt trips her boyfriend or the stupid sorcerer into taking her side. The fact the group thinks her NE ass is innocent and sweet is baffling.

My WoD-ish character hugs it out. He has the power of an angel like being of compassion and understanding. It can literally eat and gain strength from other people's suffering. They feel better and it feels better. Happy all around.
>>
File: the more you know.png (248 KB, 615x447) Image search: [Google]
the more you know.png
248 KB, 615x447
>>45971992
Point of order. Inter-party means between different parties, just like interstates are highways that run through different states. Intra-party means within the same party just as intramurals are sports within a particular school.
>>
I would go for a good fistfight, but someone (usually a "chaotic neutral" rogue) always has to ruin it by slitting someone's fucking throat because they're a whiny little edgelord and someone in the party shot down one of their retarded ideas three quests ago. Either that or some white-knight paladin bashes your brains in because apparently punching someone in the face is just as egregious a crime as fucking their chosen deity's sister.
>>
>>45980180
>could make you an elf, which is the half-elven barbarians main quest.
So, does your party consist of said barbarian, a couple female rangers, a monk and a dick-ass bard? Are they trying to collect the shards of a broken McGuffin?
>>
>>45980444
So, do you just have big arena games in every city, town, village or shithole forest every time a pc gives his fellow a dirty look?
>>
File: Tremere.jpg (17 KB, 350x484) Image search: [Google]
Tremere.jpg
17 KB, 350x484
Usually by giving people seizures or making them stab themselves in the dick with blood sorcery.
>>
>>45982677
No, its a last resort.

And we dont have party conflict often.

If they're in a bad area for it, its best just to have a mutual enemy show up as theyre fighting.
>>
- punching things and people into compliance
- bedrudging acceptance of being in the wrong, usually followed by hedonistic binges
- sexual molestation
>>
>>45971992
No one in the party is allowed to fight the others because that could very well end with the entire party dead. If two members are well and truly at odds with one another we flip a coin and abide by the result, no matter what it is.
>>
>>45971992
>inter party conflict
this means conflict between two or more parties
I think you may have meant intra-party conflict, which would mean conflict within the party
>>
>>45971992
I Take away the ball
>>
As a DM, this has only come up once when the pirate robbed some innocent crab people and tried to kill them when they resisted. The other player, a slimegirl, was raised by crab people, so she tried to defend them.
The pirate killed both crabs and almost took out slimegirl before she ran back to town.
It was kinda resolved when the judge forced the pirate to go the the crab people capital and take whatever punishment they give, but the sour feelings are still there.
>>
Usually with sleep spells and four coup de grace actions. We've been TPK'd by our own party wizards (different player every time) more often than we'd been TPK'd by monsters.
>>
>>45971992
Duel for the first blood.
>>
File: 1451765442050.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451765442050.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
>>45986373
>tfw you accidentally crit on the first hit and actually kill the other guy
>>
>>45971992
>How does your character handle inter-party conflict?

my games dont have a magical cloud that force the characters of the players to stay together so this is not hard to resolve
>>
>>45971992
By murdering the other party.

I don't see what the problem with your party having conflict with a different party is.
>>
>>45971992
last night he decided to go Screw you guys and your shitty rock in the woods religion, i'm going home! and i'm taking the guy your all buddy buddy with me!
it was our best session in ages
>>
>>45989347
*the guy that you're all buddy buddy with with me!
think im missing some sort of punctuation between the two withs
>>
>>45976126
Story?
>>
>>45981011

Well I'll be damned; I honestly thought that that was a synonym. Like German Shepherd and Alsatian, or Pug and "pet of neurotic middle aged gay man/white woman".
>>
With varying degrees of intensity. All characters have a reason to be in the party, to work together, but their personalities, motives, and methods can be different. Sometimes they talk about it, sometimes they make sure the others don't know, sometimes they handle it like professionals, sometimes they disband their co-operative efforts, sometimes they duel, and rarely, ever so rarely, they go to war.

The last time that happened the party stuck to morals like 'don't let the allied army rape all the elves and start killing them in the middle of a war' while one character was aghast by their actions and remained loyal to his army and by proxy the allies in defense of his nation against invaders. The orc killed them all for their betrayal eventually with air superiority and planning.
>>
>>45971992
We do what I say, god it's awful, but I keep ending up the brains of the party.
12 years old? Let's let anon take charge. A kolbolt? Ok we're all going to dance because you said so.
>>
>>45971992
Interparty conflict is easy. Fight the other party.

Intraparty conflict is a whole different animal. Can't be murdering your party members, outside a few niche examples.
>>
I'm playing a 500 year old female wizard so I'm like their grandmother and end up solving every conflict.

I kinda regret making this character, sometimes I just want to punch someone IC.
>>
Normally I would prefer combat, but seeing as how one of the arguers is usually "cleave fighter that kills three things in one round" the sane part that wants survival instead resorts to just bitching about it whenever it comes up, and eventually to "this is my idea and if you cannot convince me through overwhelming majority or otherwise that it is a bad one then I'm going through with it".

Unfortunately that usually ends with my narratively interesting idea being shot down because it's too dangerous to the NPCs already in danger, but that's how shit goes.
>>
>>45971992
>silently takes note of debate
>proceeds without their input after they start taking too long
>>
The PCs in my game have managed to kidnap a drow. During this period of time, they've had quite a few bickering moments. Whenever it gets a little steamy, I just have the drow cheer them on, or offer to help them kill each other. They hate drow so much, that it instantly directs the hatred towards her.
>>
They stop playing and I die a little inside. I wish I could dm well; this game is all I have.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.