[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I represent the evil of chromatic dragons to my players?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_mo4al7M8bw1r21rsxo1_500.png (669 KB, 477x624) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mo4al7M8bw1r21rsxo1_500.png
669 KB, 477x624
How do I represent the evil of chromatic dragons to my players?
>>
>>45960811

They fuck a character's waifu.

And she LOVED it.
>>
>>45960825
Fuck you man, i almost choked on my coffe while laughing.

Made my day tho.
>>
Read the Draconomicon
>>
Do what dragons usually do to get adventurers sent after them. If it's one that's usually Lawful Evil have the greedy Dragon force entire towns in the area to pay a ridiculous tribute for each man woman and child and if even one person in a town doesn't have their tribute paid then that town goes bye bye.
>>
>>45960844
link pls?
>>
>>45960811
Chromatic Dragons, despite being wise, ancient and cunning, are victims to their nature just as much as any other creature. While's there's nothing natural about their existence, (physics doesn't allow them to fly, magic does), they do have predictable behavior, most notably the eating of live stock, the collecting of gold and the burning of villages. A dragon is far more tyrannical than any king, and its drain on a community's resources infinitely greater.
>>
>>45960944
Also any deal you make is a bad move since your end of the deal may take more than your lifespan to uphold and will pass down to your children and children's children.
>>
>>45960811
I don't know my lore that much. But considering how similar Dragons are to "Kings", has their been any actual dragon led kingdoms in FR, or other settings?
>>
>>45960811
I once ran a campaign with an old black dragon as an npc they had to deal with. They were too low level to fight him, so they had to appease him instead through some tasks and such. I didn't play him as ravening evil, but as more like a sophisticated, powerful, self absorbed sociopath. Which could probably work for any dragon, desu.

The best way to show evil is not by turning something into a living wood chipper for living creatures, but by making their motives dark, subtle, selfish, and/or incomprehensible to other beings. Also with dragons in general, remember that they are the superpredators of their environs, and treat their behaviors as such.

>>45960844
Also this.
>>
>>45961014
>A dragon is far more tyrannical than any king, and its drain on a community's resources infinitely greater.
Is it, really?

At the very least it isn't going to start burning down its own kingdom in civil war, like the average nobles will, given enough time.
>>
>>45961014
So dragons are just violent NEETs.
>>
>>45961860
>Dragon
>not burning down its own kingdom and subjects when they displease it
What are you, simple?
>>
>>45962111
>dragon
>destroying possessions in a fit of rage
I mean... It's conceivable. I don't think it's it's very frequent though. All the other dragons would laugh at it for diminishing its hoard.
>>
>>45960811
That's easy, as several other posters have demonstrated.

What's hard is representing the good of metallic dragons to your players.
>>
>>45961198
>has their been any actual dragon led kingdoms in FR
At least twice. One of them masqueraded as a human, and managed to pop himself into godhood after conquering his country and mysteriously vanishing afterward, spawning a cult that worshiped him.
>>
>>45962172
They spread useful non-intrusive concept into society (no communism isn't useful).

They finance and sponsor intellectual pursuits.

They raise or themselves are protectors of the land.

I.e. they do good in ways that they can afford to.

I personally like the Steel Dragon sub-type.
>They religiously live through countless lives as ''mortals'' hoarding their memories to achieve enlightenment on their deathbed to become a part of Io (the chief dragon god) .

They got that whole ''Dragon with a pursuit out of the mortal world'' going.
>>
>>45962252
None of those will stop players from trying to smite the walking bags of EXP and treasure.
>>
>>45962324

Heh, that could be a fun mission: some dragon in human form gets shanked while visiting a human city, and winds up dead. Now, everyone's in a rush trying to figure out who he was and where his lair was, because there's suddenly a dragon's hoard without a dragon guarding it somewhere out in the world
>>
>>45962324
Well any paladin going around smiting good people will fall.
The other classes however have no such qualms.
The whole party shifts to NE or CE by doing this.

>>45962439
You do know that if a shape shifters form is at 0 HP they revert at full HP into their original form.
Turns out the silver dragon had hatchlings recently and they are seeking out the murderer using the hoard as bait, capturing or killing any robbers as necessary.
>>
>>45962252
That sounds pretty dumb.
I mean, do you spend all your time trying to help stray cats in your neighborhood?
>>
>>45960811
I prefer D&D dragons than PF dragons, those look retarded.

BTW, blue the best.
>>
>>45962680
I might, if I had infinite time.
>>
>>45961811
>desu
Opinion discarded
>>
>>45963180
Well, they don't either.
>>
File: Capture.png (15 KB, 342x260) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
15 KB, 342x260
>>45963228
>not knowing wordfilters
baka desu senpai
>>
>>45962439
>>45962506
>Be thief
>Tracking a mark
>He resists a bit
>I shank him, he goes down
>Suddenly, he explodes out into a dragon corpse
>In a small alleyway
And that's how I lost the use of my legs.
>>
>>45963519
>What is cure serious wounds?
>>
>>45963519
that'll learn you good
>>
>>45960844
Pretty much this. Especially the section that gives you example characters for dragons of every colour and of every size/age.
>>
>>45962506
>Well any paladin going around smiting good people will fall.

Unless you're Kore from Goblins
>>
>>45963519
Um he reverts at FULL Hp so you are squashed and your target is very much alive.
>>
>>45962237
Sounds awesome man. Whats his name?
>>
>>45963580
Depends on the edition.
>>
>>45962680
Yes actually
>>
>>45964054
Clearly not, since you're posting.
>>
>>45962680
If my neighborhood was the size of an average fantasy kingdom, each of those cats intelligent thinking beings and I was predisposed by alignment to do it? Yes I would.
>>
>>45964877
Your neighborhood already is, AND they're not even as far from you as a cat or dog is from a human. Why aren't you out there doing it?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.