[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommend a system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: 1456024403155.jpg (168 KB, 781x1023) Image search: [Google]
1456024403155.jpg
168 KB, 781x1023
Hey/TG/ I need a system to play low powered heroes game. Like mutant and masterminds but more lethal.

Power level is going to be between O5 X-men and new X-men when they introduced colossus and nightcrawler.
>>
>>45942685
>>45942685
You could just do low-level mutants and masterminds for that.
I'd say that level 3 characters would be at about the powerlevel you're looking for.
>>
File: 1449880066783.jpg (41 KB, 736x1041) Image search: [Google]
1449880066783.jpg
41 KB, 736x1041
>>45942737
Do you even play the game?

One the game isn't lethal, two power level three is for normal teen-agers, four I asked for not mutants and masterminds.
>>
>>45943867
You asked for "like Mutants and Masterminds, but more lethal". To which someone said "make Mutants and Masterminds more lethal". Heck, you could just make damage saves start higher without changing the power level.

Also, you haven't really given us much explanation of what you want to do. X-Men is wildly inconsistent.
>>
>>45942685
GURPS bitch nigga
>>
>>45942685
I don't know superhero comics at all, but the Cypher System core book is set up to be run four different settings out of the box: Fantasy, Modern Horror, Sci-Fi, and Superheroes.

I've been GMing a renaissance Fantasy campaign, and it works grand.
>>
>>45943867
>one, problem
>two, problem
>four, problem
counting is hard
>>
>>45944193
MnM ain't lethal nigga, you have to want to die in that piece of shit
>>
>>45942685
Wild Talents
>>
>>45945437
You can make it lethal if you want to. It takes some effort, but you can.
>>
File: 1450155557208.jpg (503 KB, 834x1534) Image search: [Google]
1450155557208.jpg
503 KB, 834x1534
>>45944226
But gurps is HARD!!

>>45944233
What is bait
>>
>>45945509
How
>>
>>45945543
M&Ms 2 at least has rules for injuries and eventually, death. Houserule that bruises aren't a thing, so that everything results in an injury. It fucks up balance though.
>>
File: Wild Talents 2nd Edition.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Wild Talents 2nd Edition.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45945461
>>
>>45945606
Well off to get 2nd mnms
>>
>>45945634
Is terrible, and like most supers games, far too easy to make your character unstoppable. Give attack powers hard dice. You always headshot, resulting in insta-kills.
>>
>>45946271
you sound like a very boring munchkin player or a boring munchkin DM.

or you probably just skimmed the book.

they flat out say the game can be broken and mixmaxed (like every game in existence) you can have "turn off the sun" be a power for 400 pts
>>
>>45942685
Wait for Beyond Human to come out.
>>
>>45945524
>>45944226
GURPS isn't hard, it's BAD.

>>45945437
And OP wants people to die.
>>45945543
What >>45945606 says, but also just change the DC of the Toughness Save so that the average character is failing by more than 5, at which point MnM goes into a Death Spiral of status effects.

Or you could just make it so that everyone is so fragile that they skip the first two steps and treat each failed Toughness save as if they'd failed by five or more. Or have it so that everyone dies in one failed Toughness Save, but at that point you just get everyone making tanks.

Of course, we're not told what "more lethal" means. What does OP want? I find World of Darkness 2e to be a lethal system. People have an average of 7 health boxes, most weapons are going to do three health levels of damage on a single success, and when you add in fighting styles and supernatural talents, one or two hits can take someone out of the fight. But it's also difficult to outright kill someone, because they need to bleed out for twice their health levels more damage.

The ideal system for "lethality" in my opinion is one where injury is common but ludicrous gibs aren't, because a) no one in real life dies instantly, and b) instant death is fucking boring.

But I need to know what OP wants out of a system.
>>
>>45942685
Godlike. Don't let the name fool you, you can still die to bullet in the gut like a regular person unless your power is immunity to bullets.
>>
>>45942685
Mutant City Blues.
>>
>>45948009
>GURPS isn't hard, it's BAD.
Proof, or opinion
>>
>>45949639
It excels at nothing, overcomplicates everything, and is generic no matter what. Now prove that it's good.
>>
>>45949984
Elaborate
>>
>>45942685
If you can tolerate d20, there's a free superhero expansion for d20 Modern called Phoenix. I've played it before, and it works well for d20, and it's not hard to make it lethal with just a few tweaks.

http://phoenixprojectrpg.com/
>>
>>45950154
1. GURPS, as a system, is incredibly generic. It does nothing particularly well, and it's only use is as a system that "does everything". It's the ultimate example of the jack of all trades, master of none trope.

2. There's pretty much nothing that GURPS does WELL, other than maybe sourcebooks.

3. GURPS is incredibly complicated compared to other games. It asks you to do a lot of number crunching that, on it's own, isn't difficult, but quickly becomes overwhelming and quite a bit to keep track of.

4. Anything GURPS does, some other specific system can do better by simple virtue of being specifically created for that purpose.

5. GURPS never feels different or interesting. It's always GURPS.
>>
>>45950660
While I agree on most of these points 3. Isn't particularly true even with optional modifiers and makes you come as a memester.
>>
>>45950660
I get from your reasons that you never read any of the books, not even GURPS ultra-lite, and all your opinions come from memes.

Apply yourself.
>>
>>45942685
Worlds in Peril?
>>
>>45950847
Except that I have played GURPS. My opinions aren't memes. My opinions come from someone who started out with GURPS and who played and ran only GURPS and who at one point now 7 or 8 years ago when "STAT ME" threads were popular, I'd even stat characters up in GURPS. I even ran a game based on statting up the children in that Jason Chan picture with the zombies on the playground.

>>45950794
GURPS is complicated. GURPS has more moving parts than other games. GURPS is the only game I've ever played where some skills are fractions of other skills. And having a kneejerk reaction to people saying that GURPS is cumbersome and overly complicated makes YOU seem like a memester.

I've played the fucking system. It was my first system. Then I discovered nWoD and never looked back. I don't like GURPS because I played GURPS, realized there are other, better games, and then realized GURPS is bad at what it does. It's not even the best generic rules set I've used (that's M&M).
>>
>>45950968
So have I, usually in the form of various modern one offs. It was never more complicated than any other game when we played it. The meme usually comes from splats like 3E vehicles. It's also a game for house rules and variant rules. If you think two skills should be one then why not do that? If you've played GURPS you'll know why that's doable and it's what makes GURPS easy to play.
>>
>>45946359
>they flat out say the game can be broken and mixmaxed
Realizing you designed a bad game doesn't make your work any better.
>>
>>45949143
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/152025/Mutant-City-Spies
>>
>>45951142
I know what I can and can't do. I can also play a game that doesn't require me to do that. GURPS has more set up than any other game I've played.

Also, all ofthe house rules and supplements STILL feel like GURPS. GURPS Vampire and GURPS Game of Thrones are going to feel the same.
>>
>>45951965
>if the mechanics aren't different everything will feel the same
If you can't make them feel different, that's your failing.
>>
>>45950660
Everything but #3 is the same issue reiterated four different ways.

Obvious bait.
>>
>>45951965
>GURPS has more set up than any other game I've played.
your only valid point desu senpai
>>
>>45951795
your trolling is weak

here's a (You)
>>
>>45952109
>>45952275
>>45952294
Okay.

We're back to "tell me why GURPS is good".
>>
>>45953386
This happens every thread. I'm sure you've seen the reasons before. You've played the game. You've made up your mind.

There's really no reason to waste anyone's time trying to convince you differently.

But don't spout incorrect memes to try to convince other people to hate it like you do.

"It's way too front-loaded" and "it's way too easy for new GMs to try and use everything which makes GURPS seem far more complex and difficult than it actually is when it's used as it's meant to be used" are really the main valid criticisms. It's a toolbox designed to help you make the RPG you want and need to play a particular setting (yours or otherwise), with a ton of settings pre-made if you want them.

If you want to play a setting that isn't pre-made, then yeah. It's a lot of work to set it up. But once you set it up, GURPS can do really well with minimal additional effort. Sometimes better than systems designed specifically for that setting (particularly when you take into account how shit tie-in media of any sort tends to be).

And as said before, GURPS has the best splatbooks of any game pretty much ever. Great resources for worldbuilding, which makes sense given GURPS is meant to be pieced together for a setting. So much of the initial effort can be building the setting.
>>
>>45945461
>>45945634
This.
Or Better Angels.
>>
>>45955422
They're not fucking incorrect. GURPS is a bland game that does everything, and does nothing well.

If you want a meme, "prove me wrong".
>>
>>45956894
You first, bro.
>>
>>45956935
I've pointed out several problems and you've said "you're just meming". This happens every time. Someone complains about GURPS and then the GURPS Defense Squad says everyone else just hasn't played GURPS and is just spouting memes. You're doing as much meme spouting when you go to defend GURPS like that.
>>
>>45957477
>says everyone else just hasn't played GURPS and is just spouting memes

>>45955422
>You've played the game. You've made up your mind.

A+ reading comprehension. About what I expected from an anti-GURPS trollster.
>>
>>45957552
>But don't spout incorrect memes to try to convince other people to hate it like you do.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.