[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tg/, if you have an ability in a game that let you say, make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
/tg/, if you have an ability in a game that let you say, make mods for armour and weapons at half their listed cost, and then used that to make additional money off your party by charging them 60% of the mods cost (so they get 40% off total while you make 10% profit for your troubles) would this be considered a "dick move"?

DMs, would you allow such in your games?
>>
>>45917161
I don't see why it'd be a problem. It's a business - gotta make money somewhere.
>>
>>45917161
You're actually making a 20% profit.

Anyway, like anything that will effect party and game group dynamics, discuss this with your group.

I did something similar in a game. I was playing a Swordcraft Story inspired travelling blacksmith and I charged the party for all repair work and items they would commision from me.
They were getting 20% off the average price and my friends aggreed that this was a good idea.
>>
>>45917161
Fuck you, that's like charging for healing.
>>
>>45918467
You don't charge for healing?
>>
>>45917161
That's a pretty good deal.
>>
>>45918467
>not charging for healing
>not helping the fighter to use his wit before muscle
>>
>>45917161
Helping out a partner is one thing.
Where it breaks down is the word:
>profit
This means that you are getting more than you need for the time and resources spent, then claiming a equal share of loot for the same amount of work put in. That is the point where I'd cuff your shit.
>>
Nothing wrong. Party is still getting almost 40% discount over other merchants. Alternatively, tell them if they don't like your prices they can shop elsewhere
>>
>>45918542
>>45918558
No. It's a dick move. You're essentially demanding a bigger share of the loot for doing the same amount of work. What if the warrior demanded an extra hundred gold every time he takes a battleaxe in the face for the rest of the party?
>>
>>45917161
>I moustache you a question.

WHY IS THIS SO FUNNY
>>
>>45919105
No you're getting paid to make them good shit with time you could be using to make money or crafting yourself superior shit. Plus if they were going to spend the $$ anyways, a 40% discount is no joke. But the bartering should still happen
>>
>>45919418
Why does it need to happen? It's in your best interest to give good shit to your party. They are risking their lives adventuring with your greedy ass so you can get the startup money to craft that shit, after all. Sure, you could give yourself all the goodies, but don't be surprised when the rest of the group lets you handle everything solo from now on.
>>
To the people arguing it should be done for free because fellow players risked their lives for you, same amount of effort etc

It doesn't cover the time spent making these modifications that could be spent on engaging in whatever else the player could be doing.

What they're paying for is the used up downtime here. Does the player not deserve compensation for that?
>>
>>45920260
The wizard doesn't get paid extra for learning new spells or preparing them for the day.
>>
>>45919849
So by your logic, he should spend his time and money to just give the fruit of his labor to those he's helping just because? He's not your personal blacksmith anon, and everyone deserves compensation for their work
>>
File: Andrew_RyanHQ.jpg (4 KB, 101x126) Image search: [Google]
Andrew_RyanHQ.jpg
4 KB, 101x126
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his own brow?
>>
>>45920387
His compensation for his work is not getting murdered by goblins on the next adventure because his fighter friend is standing in front of him.
>>
>>45920435
So he just has to give away his shit? No anon you're that guy. Demanding he work for you for free is bullshit and I would walk away in a real game
>>
So if instead on selling (on a discount) what he es crafting to the party he sold it out to an NPC, would be okay if he kept the money, or should he give the money he earn outside the adventures to the party too?
>>
>>45920435
Your arguement seems to be based on the idea that the ONLY thing the person can do is make things. What if they do an equal amount of pushwork in combat, skill uses etc as other party members? What if this crafting thing is only a tiny piece of what he can do?
>>
>>45920519
>So, the fighter just has to get hit for other people for nothing?
>So, the wizard just has to cast spells at those monsters for nothing?
>So, the cleric just has to cast buffs and heals for nothing?
>So, the rogue just has to pick locks and find treasure for nothing?

Stop whining. Everyone in a party has a job to do, and they're compensated by getting an equal share of the loot and not dying. As soon as you start gouging your group members for extra cash, you throw a wrench into that dynamic.
>>
>>45920631
What if it isn't his primary job? Say he is the wizard and casts all of his spells without asking for extra, but then he spends downtime making gear to sell?
>>
>>45920584
Well, why is he doing crafting in the first place? Is it solely to make a profit? Or is he making stuff to specifically benefit the party, either as a whole or to make certain members better at what they do?
>>
>>45920631
No you are most likely a fighter or paladin that just took it up as a side job. No blacksmith just goes on adventures. That's like saying a thief who also crafts potions has to give them to his teammates for free.
>>
>>45920631
What someone does in downtime is their own business, omae. The thief doesn't need to share his serendipitous thievery when he's going stealing while the rest of the party is sleeping, the cleric doesn't need to share the good faith and favours he gets if he goes out healing people in the streets while the party's staying in the city.

The artificer doesn't HAVE to provide his services out of the dungeon at all if he pulls his weight IN the dungeon. Frankly he would earn even more money straight up if he simply made items and sold them for cash directly, rather than pimping out your latest sword.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.