[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeon Crawl Ideas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: 1452536755238.jpg (349 KB, 819x1024) Image search: [Google]
1452536755238.jpg
349 KB, 819x1024
I'm setting up a dungeon crawl, designed to be a test of morality, character, and combat prowess. It's not necessarily meant to test how good the party is, but more to test how the party does things. I'm looking for ideas.

tl;dr, IIT post things you've put in a dungeon crawl
>>
>>45897588
First thing that came to mind;

>be me
>be newbie roleplayerr
>first or second adventure
>playing a not!Hobbit rogue in a swedish game
>be literally the smallest and physically weakest of all PCs
>everyone but me falls into pit trap and i have to get them out
>did it by tying rope to something so they could climb up

Still, what I'm talking about is general problem solving
>>
Enemies / archers in a tactically advantageous position
There is a set of invisible walls creating a maze
Loose gems are holding the floor down. If removed, the floor raises quickly, blocking the path, and ramming into spikes on the ceiling.
A huge fungus blocks the path. It is safe to touch and climb over, but is filled with poison spores if punctured
An event or item gives a great positive effect the first time (e.g. stat raises by 3, produces gold, etc.) then returns a negative result thereafter
One impassable pit is followed by another so that jumping the first pit puts you in the second.
Treasure, when taken A) becomes cursed and B) triggers a trap. Adding new items gives a reward
Safe room where the party can rest
A pool will transmute gems into different armor enhancements
An archway causes items to be repaired
Magic item is hidden in plain sight (scroll in painting)
There is a treasure in a dangerous pit trap
A clock sits on a mantle, moving the hands forward will cause bricks to decay and open a passage
A statue repels eyeballs
A fountain in a central room that has a fish spout that always points in the direction that the party enters the room
A mirror reverses the gender of whoever looks in it one time
A room is filled with smoke
Taking any of the treasure causes everyone to be greedy and try to take the treasure from that person. DC 18 to resist, +2 DC every few minutes along with reroll. DC 24 to suggest putting the treasure back
A shimmering field is filled with statues, anyone that enters is trapped inside and turned to stone.
Monsters are engaged in social activities and are not aggressive (tea party, parade)
>>
>>45897588
Morality and character are tricky. Honestly, I've found the best way to test this is to throw a rival adventuring group in the dungeon... one who's either foolishly unprepared and gets stranded in over their heads... or one who only cares about the rewards to be gained from clearing the dungeon and sees the players as a threat to their bounty and tries to convince, scare, or force them to leave. If you don't wana go through the effort of doing a whole rival party, something like a group of refugees or a persecuted minority living/hiding in the dungeon also works.

Give the Manga "Dungeon Meshi" a read. It's only got like 20 chapters at the moment and manages to cover a good deal of dungeon scenarios and be surprisingly deep despite it's simple premise.
>>
>>45898876
I had the idea of a trap consisting of a hallway with a long red rug running down the hallway. Underneath the rug is a pit with a gelatinous cube filling it. PC's can shimmy across the corners of the room to avoid the large rectangular hole in the center
>>
>>45899283
Wrong link, sorry.
>>
File: 1455530127935.jpg (355 KB, 784x1134) Image search: [Google]
1455530127935.jpg
355 KB, 784x1134
>>45898057
These are some great ideas, except I think for the "treasure that makes people greedy." Forcing PCs to act a certain way always wigs me out, player agency and all that.

>>45898401
Chilchak had a hard life.
>>
>>45898401
Definitely going to take a look, thanks!
>>
Bumping for more ideas. Especially moral ones, or things that are designed to reveal things about party members.
>>
>>45902474
Those are super easy.

Leave obviously owned treasures about town. Leave treasures with identifying marks be brought back to town.

Let the players know they can easily keep it.

Ask "Are you sure?" everytime.

Write it down.

Go to 10.
>>
File: 1455751292513.jpg (58 KB, 762x388) Image search: [Google]
1455751292513.jpg
58 KB, 762x388
>>45903238
>Ask "Are you sure?" everytime
>This is what some GMs actually do
>>
>>45903446
"Don't worry, you passed all the checks. There's no traps either, you disarmed them. It's yours if you want it."

>Note scribbling intensifies.
>>
File: oglaf_overthinking.jpg (47 KB, 500x392) Image search: [Google]
oglaf_overthinking.jpg
47 KB, 500x392
Don't crawl up your own ass trying to think of clever tricks and traps all the time.
Let the players do that.
Sometimes the best trap or puzzle is one that is exactly as it seems.
>>
>>45903500
All I'm saying is the constant teasing of possible traps gets fucking old fast. If I pick up a treasure, just tell me to write it on my sheet, and later when it comes to bite me in the ass it'll be a fun surprise instead of a reason for me to just never touch anything out of genre savvy
>>
File: GlitchDungeon_header.png (10 KB, 620x300) Image search: [Google]
GlitchDungeon_header.png
10 KB, 620x300
>>45897588
>tl;dr, IIT post things you've put in a dungeon crawl
It's a "glitch" dungeon.
People falling through and getting stuck on "textures", wonky physics, invisible walls, monsters that look like offspring of Missingno and Cthulhu, random NPCs that glitch out, repeat their dialogue meaninglessly or just plain don't react to things etc. - you know the schtick.
Picrandom.
>>
>>45903238
Thats the sort of thing im looking for. What other ways are there to find out what kind of person somebody is?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.