[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it okay for a player to base a character off of media if it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: mollygruedamnyou.jpg (56 KB, 234x175) Image search: [Google]
mollygruedamnyou.jpg
56 KB, 234x175
Is it okay for a player to base a character off of media if it's not pop culture?
I just had a player submit "Peer Gynt" for approval.
>>
>>45889286
>Is it okay for a player to base a character off of media?
Yes, it is.

>Is it okay to literally copy-paste an entire character, without so much as changing the name?
No, it is not.
>>
>>45889761
/thread
>>
>>45889286
Who?
>>
>>45889761
Well, that ended quickly
>>
>>45890344
I can only assume that his most notable achievement was getting up in the morning, as that stereotypical "getting up in the morning" tune is named after him.
>>
>>45891984
In the character he submitted, he has low int and wis but is a charisma rogue with slaver as a background and is NE.
>>
>>45892065
>>45889286
So I looked it up, and apparently Peer Gynt sets out to try to help his starving, indebted family, but then he gets distracted and spends the rest of the story chasing women and arguing about philosophy with monsters. So in short, he's the quintessential bad D&D character: easily distracted, obsessed with sex, and forgetful even of his own backstory.
>>
>>45889286
This will come in handy, OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASVwCyLF2VA

> Slagt ham! Kristenmands son har dåret
> Dovregubbens veneste mo!

> Slagt ham!
> Slagt ham!

> Slagt ham!
> Slagt ham!

> Slagt ham!
> Slagt ham!

> Slagt ham!
> Slagt ham!

> Slagt ham!

> Slagt ham!
>>
>>45889286
If it's the kind of player that otherwise wouldn't be inspired at all (and honestly, this is likely) then it's probably best to just grin and bear it. Of course it's still a negative, and if he's shitty in other ways you may still need to do something about him.
>>
>>45896658
>that poor articulation
>those anemic english vocals
>that half-assed drop
It's like you want OP to dismiss classical music as dry and boring.

Let's try that again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKrFkG4RdsU

And again, louder this time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2aIVKp1OY
>>
>>45889286
I've done that, though I usually adapt the character for the setting. I'm pretty upfront about it, though. I don't try to pretend they're my creation.

What's more, due to story driven campaigns, they usually end up wildly different from the source material by the end.

I think there are both acceptable and unacceptable ways to go about it.
>>
I know nothing about this Peer Gynt fellow, but one of my players for our new campaign decided that he wanted to play a gunslinger named Percy who's parents had been killed.
>>
I don't know. Peer Gynt is more of a story than a character. The protagonist is a shameless audience insert.

Congratulate your player on having great taste. Then explain that they will need a personality in order to play a character in a game.

As for legitimacy, why the hell not? A good player can make almost anything work. And a bad one won't be helped by rules and regulations.
>>
>>45889286
When you're roleplaying you're doing just that, playing a role. It's fine to use characters from media you enjoy as inspiration for characters you roleplay but just don't forget about the actual roleplaying part. My latest Mutants and Masterminds character is a blatant rip-off of Zack Overkill from Incognito but despite being a former supervillain in witness protection I've been transferred to another shadowy government organization and am now playing ball because I have no choice. Roleplaying is what you make it and if your player constantly whines about how that would never happen to his character or how that's not just like his japanese animes then that's where the problem lies, with your idiot player.
>>
>>45898981
Hi /mu/
>>
I've played a game where the player insisted on literally playing as Jason Borne. It was Dark Heresy

But I don't think it's wrong to do up to a point
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.