[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm going to be running a campaign about students at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: Harry-Potter.jpg (427 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Harry-Potter.jpg
427 KB, 1920x1080
So I'm going to be running a campaign about students at a negligently run magic school that doesn't much care if they die.

Any advice?
>>
Expect a lot of plots and pvp.
>>
>>45877250
The real question is, "Are they learning?"
>>
>>45877282
Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?
>>
File: Academagia_Adventuring.jpg (1 MB, 1124x960) Image search: [Google]
Academagia_Adventuring.jpg
1 MB, 1124x960
>>45877250
Lift the quest hooks from Academagia.
>>
Thought about running this once. Idea I had is that the first lesson is there to really cull the herd of possible students. You send them into the forest on school grounds and they can't leave until they have communed with the spirits and gained a familiar.

Most of them die to wolf attacks, fall into ravines or are eaten by lovecraftian horrors.

Also this being the first lesson they don't have any magic to defend themselves, gotta use your wits.

Was basically Hogwarts written by Terry Pratchett and I've always liked the idea that if you are smart or resourceful enough you can graduate without actually knowing any magic whatsoever.
>>
>>45877250
Trolls in the dungeon.
>>
>>45877680
So... you can be a wizard by being a magician?
>>
Are we talking about just a badly run school here or a Spartan, only the strong survive school?

The former I can't see being a good idea and the latter is overdone.
>>
>>45877250
Steal inspiration from the new Magicians tv series.
>>
>>45878283
What about a little of column A and a little of B?
>>
>>45878383
So like a school of hard knocks type thing?

I guess the idea in itself isn't bad, although it would rely a lot on how you actually ran it. I've got no advice on that though, friend.
>>
>>45877250
You ever play Bully?
Use that but with magic
>>
>>45877250
So kinda like how the shit TV adaption of The Magicians is portraying Brakebills?
>>
>>45878444
These trips give good tips.
>>
>>45877680
i like this. get the players to design five different PCs instead of just one.
>>
>>45878404
>magical school of hard knocks

>>hey gandalf, where'd you learn to cast such nasty lightning
>the mean streets taught me everything i needed to know about sorcery
>>
You'd see how well you made your potion in potions class by trying it yourself
>>
It's in the time period of this blog
thesetupwizard.tumblr.com/tagged/setupwizard/chrono/
>>
>>45877680
Considering how small the Wizarding pop in Britain is and how small Hogwarts is, this would be a terrible idea.
>>
>>45878469
I wish it were the Elliot and Penny show
>Elliot snaps his possessed bf's neck with magic with the most under-wraps agonized look on his face
>that prof totally wants Penny's dick
>>
>>45878404

What if the reason that the school appears badly run is that its impossible to actually teach magic?

You can teach magical theory. You can teach magical ethics. You can teach magical history...

But when it comes to actually casting a spell, everyone does it differently. Even if two wizards both cast a spell you would call a fireball, one of them does it by calling the essence of a phoenix and the other summons heat from deep within the Earth and flings that. The effect is more or less the same, but magic is an effect rather than a specific cause. They may work on similar thaumatolgical principals, but there is no set of instructions you can give someone for them to follow that reliably results in a spell being cast.

The best the school can do is to give the students the tools to learn magic in relative safety, drawing on the experience of the teachers on what tends to work/not work, and getting paired up with teachers/other students whose style of magic appears to be similar to yours.

It would seem like a chaotic mess, but trial and error is the only way.
>>
>>45877680
>Hogwarts written by Terry Pratchett
RINCEWINDDDDDDDD
>>
>>45877250
Are there sexy witches?
>>
>>45877250
The Harry Potter Universe:
>children are given wands at age 12
>these wands are at all times capable of projecting magic
>including killing spells
>they then herd all of these children into a school where they are free to run about as they like with these wands
>the punishment for breaking rules is venturing into a forest full of abominations with a man who was once accused of murdering several students
>he is known to possess illegal weaponry
>in this school, they have classes that specifically train children to stun, disarm, and explode shit
>the headmaster is aware of a secret tunnel running from this school to a sleazy bar nearby run by his goatfucking brother

Remind me exactly how the fuck this society is supposed to function? This place is like a goddamn child army training camp.

And how Ameriboo does JK Rowling have to be to run a british school that actually has weapon-based self defense as a class? They can't even buy butterknives but apparently they can own a wand that will reduce sinks, bookshelves, and allegedly people to rubble?
>>
OP, are you familiar with the game Hellcats & Hockeysticks?
>>
File: Chance.jpg (790 KB, 1280x1841) Image search: [Google]
Chance.jpg
790 KB, 1280x1841
Read Freak's Squeele. It's not really a magic school but a "hero school" but the dean constantly fucks the students over for fun and profit with little regards for their well-being.
>>
>>45881426
Not Ameriboo enough IMO.
>>
>>45881426
because wizards don't listen to muggle laws
>>
File: 1450448423538.png (192 KB, 320x309) Image search: [Google]
1450448423538.png
192 KB, 320x309
>one of the students learns a lolification spell
>>
>>45881426
I assume wizarding world is just so damn dangerous, parents assume live fire course is the only way to prepare kids for adulthood. Hence all sorts of crazy hazards and mandatory Phys Ed and navigation course via cruel and unusual architecture.
>>
File: explorer waifu.png (48 KB, 145x145) Image search: [Google]
explorer waifu.png
48 KB, 145x145
>>45877501
Aww shit son, I'm glad I'm just the right level of autist to like this. Don't know why, but I do.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.