[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The GM won't let us make our own characters, wants us
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: 1437313080191.gif (577 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1437313080191.gif
577 KB, 400x300
>The GM won't let us make our own characters, wants us to choose randomly from 9 pre generated ones. We only know some sort of title from it, like Heir, Gladiator or Archeologist.

Good or bad sign? I honestly don't know at this point...
>>
>>45865146
If new GM or new system for GM? Acceptable choice. Having some control over play when you don't have your sea-legs? Perfectly acceptable.

GM has implied a heavy storyline? A slightly sad but okay choice, because he wants to be able to hand out a lot of interesting plot cookies. Worry about railroading, but give it a shot.

Not a new system? Doesn't look story heavy? Reasonably experienced gm?

Then i would offer you the advice of these gentlemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86URGgqONvA
>>
>>45865146
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>45865146
>choose randomly
>randomly
But why?
>>
>>45865146
The one upside to "everyone uses random pregens" that I can see is, if the GM knows his stuff, he can make sure that all thee PCs are equally optimized.
>>
>>45865146
I've seen it work. I actually had a lot of fun with a pre-built character in the Dragon Age RPG that I had handed to me, but then that game is pretty restrictive with chargen so I didn't exactly lose anything.

I think >>45865193 is being cynical, but my experience doesn't disagree; this was a new GM with a new system.

What's the system? A system where the different character options make a big difference to the style of play you'll be engaging in is going to be more frustrating to not make a character in than a game like Dragon Age where you have three options for race, three options for class, and you're basically done.
>>
>>45865146
I've done this for a few one shots.

It's bloody fun for your Clue style murder mystery.
Or a high lethality horror game.
It's decent for your basic introduction to roleplaying.
But honestly, the randomly selected thing can be inhibiting.

If he lets you fill in a few details, or it's for a one shot, it's probably a good sign.
>>
>>45865193

I think one or two players are regulars, but most of the group are newcomers to the GM. And I don't know about the GM, but most players seem to be first timers into the system as well.

>>45865204
Female Majin OC from some weaaboo.

>>45865210
Randomly as in, you don't know anything of the character other than that name/title whatever... You can choose which one, but it's almost a blind choice.

>>45865308
It's Anima.
>>
>>45865358
>Anima
That could be a bad choice for that style of game, given how much character class impacts your playstyle in that system. Personally, I'd give it a try, but I'd also be pretty disappointed if I didn't get a character class that meshed with my preferences. (I will never get tired of sword-fighting melee mages, and I know Anima has them, so if I picked the "Scholar" or the "Dilettante" or the "Duellist" or whatever hoping to get a flashy jedi-wannabe and got something else I'd probably want to switch.)

Advice #1 applies, as always; if unhappy, talk it out.
>>
>>45865146
>We only know some sort of title from it, like Heir, Gladiator or Archeologist.
Then I hope you're good with numbers, anon!
>>
>>45865358
>Female Majin OC from some weaaboo.
Pretty sure it's from Toriyama himself, m8
>>
>>45865358
I think it's perfectly legit for Anima because that character creation is fucking bonkers. I can't wrap my head around it.
>>
>>45865583

The canon female Majin was blue, and she was called Majin Booby.
>>
>>45865358
>Female Majin OC from some weaaboo.
She's cute, and sticky looking.
>>
>>45865146

Well maybe if every single one of your characters wasn't weeaboo crap then I'd give you more freedom.

Now pick one, I'm not budging on this.
>>
>>45867502
I find the idea of a GM who is both sick of animu rubbish and running Anima very amusing.
>>
>>45865204
Generic member of a race in DragonBall Xenoverse
>>
>>45867602
Fanart pre-dating Xenoverse, I heard. Funny how similar they look if that's the case, though.

I know Xenoverse is a grind fest, but that picture and others like it still make me want to play it. You rarely get to feel that awesome in a tabletop game. (Occasionally I manage it by grossly out-minmaxing the rest of the party. I am not always popular at my table.)
>>
If it's a new GM I'd probably humor them, but it really depends on the kind of game
>>45867502
Personally that would be where I walk
>>
>>45865146
Bad sign. I'd pass.
>>
>>45867706
The female Majin appeared before Xenoverse in some MMO that's only in Korea and Japan and looked pretty much exactly like that.
>>
>>45867706

Once you get a new game plus, most of the grind is gone, but yea its really bad in some areas.

Felt more like them doing an MMO.
>>
>>45865358
>most of the group are newcomers
I'd be cautiously hopeful.

However, taking player agency away is a bad sign though.
>>
>>45865146
>DM probably inexperienced
>pregen characters
>won't let you see the stats beforehand

Not enough to make me bail right there, but I'd be wary and start looking for other games.
>>
>>45865146
Pregen characters are good if you are doing a one off game, a no story dungeon crawl, or getting railroaded through a story.

The players aren't as invested in the character and don't even know their own plot hooks to play it smoothly.

Depending on the group and GM it can be good or bad.
>>
OP, for new players in Anima, I can understand using pregenned characters. Not letting you see the stats is pretty weird, but overall it's worth giving it a try.
Granted I would do just about anything to get in any kind of anima game at this point.

>>45867581
>mfw I ran using the anima system but in a generic high fantasy universe before
Granted, the characters all end up weeb as fuck regardless, but it was slightly amusing.
>>
Randomly choosing is lame.

But it could be that he has some reason for it or maybe he's jaded and doesn't trust players to make characters anymore. Either way it might be OK. I've done it. But I let the players pick and I had a reason for it. Also one player outright changed his character and I didn't mind because it meant he cared some.
>>
File: 1414202516731.jpg (418 KB, 705x1000) Image search: [Google]
1414202516731.jpg
418 KB, 705x1000
>>45865358
>I think one or two players are regulars, but most of the group are newcomers to the GM. And I don't know about the GM, but most players seem to be first timers into the system as well.
>>45867897
>I'd be cautiously hopeful.
>However, taking player agency away is a bad sign though.
Yeah, I'd say he's trying to ease everyone into the system, so see how the first session goes at least.

If he's trying to hard to railroad you there, then you can be certain he's trying to make you act out his script.

>>45865698
>She's cute, and sticky looking.
Sugar Sugar, aw Honey, Honey...
>>
File: ngbbs51c393c2e2377.jpg (139 KB, 497x490) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs51c393c2e2377.jpg
139 KB, 497x490
>>45865146
>Last GM did the same thing
>pick disgraced prince in hiding
>didn't know till later but it was his superspeshul mary sue self insert
>rest of the party kept getting shat on while miraculously good things kept happening to me
>GM starts sneaking his fetishes in directed towards the character i'm playing as
>>
>>45865489
To be fair, Anima's GM Toolkit provides Pregens that are damned handy for first-timers or those who want to jump in for a session.
>>
>>45868367

Shit that never happened.
>>
>>45869315
what exactly did you achieve by shitposting like that?
>>
Terrible sign.

Abort, abort--they're dragging you into /their/ story, not inviting you in to play a collaborative one together.

If you knew and trust the GM and this was a pre-established thing there would be potential... but there is not if you don't know this person rather well and they're not being transparent or intentionally vague about the whole thing.
>>
>>45865146
This sounds like a really, really bad sign. Has he given any justification for it?
>>
>>45869408
Same thing the guy he replied to got. attention
>>
>>45870249
Not OP, but given the facts that GM is new/unknown, most players are new, and it's Anima, Pregens are a good way to ease into the system for both sides.
>>
...I actually like this style of game. Especially if the system/GM gives the player a fair bit of narrative control (like, say, Fate), but even if not, I like the ability to jump right into the most interesting part of a situation and get with the roleplaying part, and I like getting into the head of someone I might not have come up with on my own.
>>
>>45865146
Bad sign, you have a rogue director on your hand.

Tell him to keep his script outside the game or you bail.
>>
>>45865193
>If new GM or new system for GM? Acceptable choice.

Some GMs will also hand out pregens if they know that some or all of their players are too brain dead to make their own characters, or make ones that are utterly useless. So if the GM knows some of the players well, it could also be that.
>>
>>45873729
I will admit i missed one, that is
"Hi, this is an introductory game"

if babby's first RPG is what's happening, then, yeah, sure. They do this at con games for a reason.
>>
File: Dbo_races_eng.jpg (107 KB, 758x718) Image search: [Google]
Dbo_races_eng.jpg
107 KB, 758x718
>>45867862
This is correct, there was a very short lived minor DBZ MMO in Asia.
>>
File: DBZ online K.jpg (170 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
DBZ online K.jpg
170 KB, 1024x819
>>45877098
>>
>>45865146
Well, That's easy. Betray your party and find a way to get back into your old body.
>>
>>45865146
I've considered doing that before. It's a way to be sure they don't make OP or weak characters, and also be sure that the party "fits".

Give it a shot, you might end up liking it and having fun anyway.
>>
>>45865146
Actually this is fantastic. He has a story in mind and isn't going to let players fuck it up from the word Go. This means he probably has a good head on his shoulders and won't tolerate crap. Great for getting rid of That Guys fast. Which is most of the board, so don't listen to them. Enjoy the story.
>>
Bad sign. Get ready for listening to DM tell his story
>>
One of my recent GMs did this, as well.

...but considering we've got more than a few players who are really new to the RPG thing, and even some for who English isn't a first language, I figure it's a good idea.

Also, it allows the GM to keep a lid on power levels. You don't have to worry about having a power-gaming bastard dominating the game if you make everything.on a level playing field, and the other guy only gets to choose their playstyle.
>>
>>45865489
>given how much character class impacts your playstyle in that system.
This is why gm gives them the names of archetypes they can choose from.
If you choose gladiator you most likely get a fighter class with the gladiator weapon kit.
>>
>>45865513
list all the class names
>>
>>45865146
That depends. our GM made pre made characters in case one our the current perma-dies. because on lvl 18-20 you would usually need a 30 page backstory minimum. So he makes this himself. On the other hand he makes this character a bit stronger, a bonus feat here and there because it fits the story for example. and since we can chose between two everything is cool.
>>
>>45865146
That's some LARP shit right there. But it dose not have to be bad, i'v played like that from time to time, either the DM has a capaing that requiers certine cherecters to play or he will want to railroad the fuck out of you. When you get the cards compere them to make shure that no one is fucked over and give it a spin
>>
>>45865146
Have you tried talking to your GM about it?
>>
>>45880587
What should he say to him?
Asking if his a faggot?
>>
>>45865146
Just Phineas Gage your selection if the character your GM made doesn't suit you.

Suffering a near-fatal head injury without arousing his suspicion might be hard but I believe in you OP.
>>
>>45880617
"So you want us to use preset characters, right? Just curious, what's that about?"
If he answers you, then you'll know whether or not he's a faggot.
If he gets defensive and doesn't answer you, then he's a faggot.
>>
>>45880712
>If he gets defensive and doesn't answer you, then he's a faggot.
That's a pretty oversimplification of human reactions and emotion.
>>
>>45865146
Seems fine. He offers you choice, and the fact that you only chose archtype means you have flexibility of what you actually do with it, rather than picking a fully premade starter character like DnD-Starter Sets use.

If I was you I'd roll with it and withhold any judgement until you actually are 2 sessions in.
>>
>>45880786
Not really, in the situation anon suggested two humans are exchanging information only. There's no deeper judgement being passed. Getting defensive would imply the GM expects judgement to be passed anyways, against which he needs to defend himself. That is the sign of the autist.
>>
>>45880990
He might as well be a faggot but doesn't know or care and says anything you like.
>>
>>45877127
holy cancer

how far gone are u when u play this
>>
>>45880786
I don't think so. If you answer an innocent question with defensiveness, then there's clearly a problem that might spill over into the game. Unless the question was asked in a dickish way (and I hope I didn't phrase it like that) there's really no excuse to freak out on someone.

A normal, well-adjusted (To a point. This is 4chan after all, I'm not the normiest person ever.) person would give an honest answer if asked. OP may not like the answer, but at least you know they have nothing untoward to hide, or don't get defensive for stupid reasons.

>>45881730
Are you saying the DM could give a dishonest answer? Because all you'd need to do is leave when the truth comes out. He wasn't truthful, so you have the moral high ground.

Where's the problem?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.