[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would your run a setting based on a donut-shaped world? htt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: 19enmkg3rqsirjpg.jpg (30 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
19enmkg3rqsirjpg.jpg
30 KB, 636x358
Would your run a setting based on a donut-shaped world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J4iIBKJHLA

Post your favorite world-building resources!
>>
>>45858199
Nice video. As to the question I'm not sure if an rpg campaign would properly reflect all the unique features of donut world. Some kind of novel or smth would do it better imo. But it's a very interesting idea for a setting. Espiecially if the more educated inhabitants were actually aware of the fact that their world is constantly at a brink of destruction and one gravvitional instability could easily collapse it.
>>
if I wanted my players to constantly make arby and the chief jokes sure

would be very interesting scientifically, since you might be able to use it to sling shot things pretty fast through the centre of the taurus
>>
>>45858199
Universal stillpoint rod in donut hole. Armageddon.
>>
>>45858199
Magic.
>>
>>45858199
Everyone has steel donut rings that is worth killing for if they're stolen.
>>
>>45858199
How would gravity work on a toroidal planet exactly?
>>
Our dm once ran a world that had a finite north and south edge bit not east/west. The pcs were tasked with circumnavigation. Turns out he just made a mobile strip map on a roll of printer paper and said let's play.
>>
>>45860021
Catastrophically.
>>
>>45860021
The further into the hole you go the less gravity.
>>
File: sigil.jpg (557 KB, 1013x735) Image search: [Google]
sigil.jpg
557 KB, 1013x735
But I already play in a Planescape game.
>>
File: image.png (120 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
120 KB, 800x600
>>45860385
I correct myself.
>>
>>45858199
>donut shaped world
Halo was a great FPS, but I'm not sure how it would translate to a good adventure RPG
>>
File: 220px-Ringworld(1stEd).jpg (26 KB, 220x356) Image search: [Google]
220px-Ringworld(1stEd).jpg
26 KB, 220x356
>>45861450
donut is not ring.

And if you want to set an adventure on a ring then its not going to be halo you draw inspiration from. Picture related.

I'm actually running a 5e game set on a ring world.
>>
File: 1388258227043.gif (3 MB, 256x144) Image search: [Google]
1388258227043.gif
3 MB, 256x144
>>45861450

it's not exactly halo, the day/night cycle and gravity are a touch wackier on a doughnut planet, which could effect acrobatics and jump style rolls, depending on where you are and what system you're running.

the center of the planet would have considerably longer nights, so things like vampires, werewolves, and other vermin would congregate there, and would actively avoid the outer edge of the planet.

the bad guys can be a touch more literal when they claim that they'll "destroy the planet" because of how unstable they are.
>>
>>45858199
Planescape?
>>
>>45858199
>Post your favorite world-building resources!
Tim Horton's.
>>
First or second final fantasy was set on a donut plane. Sure you might've seen a square, but this square looped on all sides into the opposite side. Just like a toroid would.
>>
>>45861937
Leaf please go; DD is better.
>>
>>45861961
That's true for all FF with a world map.
>>
>>45858790
First time I see a reference to the show on /tg/, nice!
>>
>>45861926
>>45860426

The thing about Sigil is it's a city inside a donut. And Sigil isn't supposed to make sense at all.

This donut world has some really cool theories behind it and some really varied topographic features.
As crazy and unlikely as a donut world is, hearing all the (meta)science behind one makes it believable enough to make sense.

I like it when my worlds have some form of logic behind them, even if they are high fantasy.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.