[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you end up with a fantasy setting where everyone wears
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: Callidus_Updated.jpg (391 KB, 668x1212) Image search: [Google]
Callidus_Updated.jpg
391 KB, 668x1212
How would you end up with a fantasy setting where everyone wears full-body outfits which disguise their appearance, even characters like mages and priests?
>>
>>45837034
>toxic atmosphere
>poisonous mushroom spores floating around like in Nausicaa
>Dangerous spells being easy to perform on naked skin, so everyone covers all of it
This isn't some kind of magical realm stuff, is it?
>>
>>45837034
if you wanted just a specific group to be completely covered a neat excuse would be that they are a society of dopplegangers, and given that anyone could be anyone, everyone wears disguises out of a sort of common courtesy, as everyone knows no one is for sue who they are.
>>
ARABIAN NIIIIIIIIIIIGHTS!!
>>
File: 1451077762457.jpg (717 KB, 1377x2000) Image search: [Google]
1451077762457.jpg
717 KB, 1377x2000
It's really, really cold everywhere, all the time, even indoors.
>>
>>45837034

Plague.

PLAGUE EVERYWHERE
>>
>>45837152
That head does not fit that body, at all.
>>
>>45837034
Cultural norms/superstition could do it pretty easily, perhaps grounded in some event or period from their history.

E.g. a some time ago their society was threatened by a group of outside demons/monsters/something. These bad guys preyed upon the people in some way that relates to recognising seeing their victim. You can do whatever to fill this role, but just as an example, perhaps a kind of doppelganger/vampire hybrid: Once they have eyes on their victim, they start taking their shape as well as their soul, taking on the victim's appearance as they do so. The more clearly they can see their victim the quicker and more complete this process is, and once they've fully taken the victim's entire appearance head to toes, the victim falls dead as an unrecognisable pile of flesh.

Anyways, whatever the root cause, the society adapted by hiding their appearance wholly. Over time this managed to drive the threat out or even to extinction, but the practice remained. If they're a particularly religious faction, the practice may well end up becoming intertwined with their dogma.
>>
>>45837103
>>Dangerous spells being easy to perform on naked skin, so everyone covers all of it
>This isn't some kind of magical realm stuff, is it?

I dunno about OP, but that spells on skin thing sounds pretty fun as a campaign premise.
>>
>>45837034
I want to mash those tits like there's no tomorrow.
>>
F E T I S H
E
T
I
S
H
>>
>>45837311
I think I read some book series that had a similar premise to their magic. Basically, a human's skin served as a natural barrier to magic, so it prevents a mage from, for example, just telekinetically reaching into you and crushing your heart. However, if the mage is physically touching that skin, or it's cut open, then that barrier can be circumvented and bad things can happen.
>>
>>45837280

How the heck would people interact if they can't recognize each other by face?
>>
>>45837034
Magic like alter self and such would become completely pointless
>>
>>45837461

You could have alter outfits instead
>>
>>45837407
I'd imagine they'd do so by customising their outfits. Having personalised facemasks worn when outside is a fairly common thing in a number of settings.
>>
>>45837581

Probably with a sigil or marking showing their name. Of course identity theft would be ridiculously easy
>>
>>45837034

The spirits of the murdered or those who die in accidents cannot rest, since they never had the time to come to terms with not being able to complete their lives. They will try to grasp and enter the living in order to live out what they have lost, this is how madness, depression, obsessions and sometimes just poor decisions occur. This culture encourages the living of very deliberate lives in which one must always start the day with the aim of ending it as contentedly as possible, so that should someone die in their sleep they will not come back to haunt the living. In the meantime all skin has to be covered, and those failing to do so are shunned as already letting evil impulses into themselves. This means that the culture has become very insular, fraternising with outsiders who expose their skin is discouraged for all but the most high-ranking officials. A visitor may mingle somewhat with society after becoming well-known and after a six-month purification and educational period, however they will still be somewhat mistrusted and any hint of a breach of the rules will result in them becoming outcast or even killed. Part of the deal is that the newcomer may never have children, for such a child will be born already corrupted by the many spirits of the unquiet dead.
>>
>>45837034

Everyone in the setting is a Callidus.
>>
File: bauta-venice-carnival-2.jpg (51 KB, 334x500) Image search: [Google]
bauta-venice-carnival-2.jpg
51 KB, 334x500
>>45837034
Sounds like Venice.
>>
>>45837034
Please don't force your magical realm on players unless you know they're OK with it so you don't have to disguise it.
>>
By throwing out all the fucking weeb fetishist out of my group.
>>
>>45837034
Powerfull curses can be placed upon someone if you have a copy of there likeness so people wear masks and concealing clothing at all times, these masks are unique but often a variation on a theme with Smith's often using metal segments with flames engraved on them for example, or poor people simple undyed cloth.

often only family know what someone REALY looks like.

Marriage contracts between family's are often sealed by an exchange of portraits, the artists responsible for such things often also serving as physicians due to the level of trust required.

The military are issued cloth masks with name and rank for casual use with wargear consisting of full face yells bearing the likeness of monsters.

And so on and so forth.
>>
>>45838944
>yells

Helms
>>
>>45837034
Medieval Warframe.
>>
>>45839095

I'd play the SHIT out of this. How would you set it up?
>>
File: 1456912307822.jpg (54 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1456912307822.jpg
54 KB, 540x720
>>45838003
>mfw still remember those mask threads on /v/
>>
>>45839146
Not sure,
Maybe use Mutants and Masterminds or Exalted?
That way the players will have more control over their ability choice and not be stuck to rigid classes.
>>
>>45837034
Space suits.

/thread
>>
>>45837034
>45837034

FETISHES
E
T
I
S
H
E
S
>>
File: Plague_doctor.jpg (114 KB, 1000x799) Image search: [Google]
Plague_doctor.jpg
114 KB, 1000x799
>>45837034
>How would you end up with a fantasy setting where everyone wears full-body outfits which disguise their appearance, even characters like mages and priests?

I have no idea OP...
>>
>>45837034
>>45837034
Is it just me, or do we have threads with this oddly specific premise really, really often? I've seen it I think around once a month for a couple years.
>>
File: bunny suits.jpg (223 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
bunny suits.jpg
223 KB, 1600x1200
>>45838944

Sympathetic magic could work as well/in combination with the idea. "It once took something significant to cast a curse; a smear of blood; or a lock of hair; or a treasured object. But magicians have learned to tease out the threads between a single hair, a bare footprint, or even a stolen breath."

People wear what are functionally bunny suits to keep from leaving things that can be used to curse or control them.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 300x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 300x425
>fantasy world

I dunno.
>>
>>45837034
>Magical post apocalypse
>stuff created the need of full body outfit to not die

simple as hell
>>
>>45837364
What about your mouth or butthole? You fart around a wizard and they'll tunnel that magic right up your bum
>>
>>45841199
Wear a surgical mask and buttplug at all times while around wizards.
>>
>>45837034
By inserting your fetish into the game.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.