[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
as a DM how do you manage when your players want to do stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: Western7-dieSet.jpg (68 KB, 639x479) Image search: [Google]
Western7-dieSet.jpg
68 KB, 639x479
as a DM how do you manage when your players want to do stuff like
"i cut off his head/arm/leg etc.." while in combat
"i want to jump that" an impossible jump of n ft
"i want he to be my friend/lover etc.."without roleplaying
>>
tell em to fuck off
>>
Tell them to stop being retarded.

If they keep doing it, find a better group.
>>
>>45821709
1. Take a slight minus to the chance to hit X body part, apart from mad crits, the attack hits X place, causes a well describe wound but doesn't effect the creature in any way
2. Warn the hight is too great, if they insist say "You run up towards the ledge but as your character approaches it they realise the leap is much greater than anticipated, and they back down"
3. No roleplaying, no relationships of any kind, its an RPG FFS
>>
First, I tell the OP to take a writing course so I don't have to reread the question four times to understand it.
>>
>>45821709
Let them roll for it and give them a fair DC. Of course, a 100 ft jump has a huge DC that is still fair. Better still if you can use something from the book.

If they fail, the appropriate thing happens. They fall into the abyss, etc. Every action has a repercussion.
>>
>>45821709
>"i cut off his head/arm/leg etc.." while in combat
Stop playing a system with an HP system and move to one with a limb damage system/ more rules light system
>"i want to jump that" an impossible jump of n ft
Tell them that their character doesn't believe they can make the jump. If the player insists the character tries the jump and fails. For good measure let them roll for it so idiots think they had a chance of success.
>"i want he to be my friend/lover etc.."without roleplaying
"I want to be a fighter but don't know how to swordfight"
That's what you sound like. Charisma is a stat for a reason.
>>
>>45821842
what if they crit?
>>
>>45821886
Then it happens and its fucken cool
>>
You give them the option to take a -2 to the damage roll in exchange for a chance to cut off the limb in question (except the head, just add +2 to the critical modifier (2x turns to 4x)) on a critical hit.
If they want to jump off a cliff let them, and say "As your character is falling down the chasm of infinite darkness he bellows out a fearful yell, one that knocks you out of the daydream you are currently in. Wanna try to jump now?".
For the third thing just tell them that these are people and you need to work for the relationship. It's not like batman can walk right up to the penguin and say "We are friends" and everything will be hunky dory".
>>
>>45821886
Some would argue that crit successes aren't a thing.
>>
>>45821886
Nothing happens, skill checks don't crit.
>>
>>45821886
On a skill check? Then they get to add 20 to their associated modifier(s).
>>
>>45821878
What if OP likes the system he is in and wouldn't want to change entire systems because of one tiny thing you dislike about combat?
>>
>>45821709
1. You can try. Then have them roll a called shot attack like normal, if they drop the target, the limb in question is off.

2. You can try. Set a suitably high DC and let them roll the relevant skill. If they fail, they fall and take suitable damage. If they pass, they make the jump through skill or quirk of fate.

3. You can try. Roll a relevent social skill to try and convince them they should like you, success means their opinion of you increases, failure means it decreases. Continue to do things they like and avoid doing things they dislike. Eventually you may be able to form the relevent relationship.

Side note: any of these done without rp incur a penalty relative to the amount of abstraction behind the action.
>>
>>45821709
1) I tell them to roll a d20, having a DC for the task in mind, and if the d20 result plus whatever relevant modifiers passes then they succeed

2) Warn them its impossible, tell them they estimate it as something ridiculous and let them try (and possibly die) if they want.

3) Are from the characters backstory? If yes, then sure. If not, they can spend the resource the party has for that if they so choose, otherwise it will require RP.
>>
>>45821923
>>45821937
>>45821943
Alas, skills are the only thing your GM can rightfully railroad you with. It's not like that DC 30 escape artist check to get out of the manacles keeping your character in the rape dungeon is impossible to your rogue with +9 total escape artist modifier!
>>
File: 1452318601749.gif (915 KB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
1452318601749.gif
915 KB, 245x285
All you need to quit trolling.
If it really bothers you then explain to the player why and how to change.
I see this all the time and it's perfectly fine.
Some people aren't as fluent speakers as they want their characters to be.
As the DM work with them.
Ask them "Okay. What exactly do you want to say or do to accomplish this"
The people who behave like these threads and posts pretend to be would be the odd people out; the unwanted factors.
>>
>>45821709
About the 3rd, I'd let it happen if it is backstory with somebody who's not comfortable with roleplaying.
>>
>>45821800
>no roleplaying
>its an ROLE PLAYING GAME FFS

hmmm...
>>
>>45822051
Hey, some of us are playing d&d, and we're kinda not sure if it's a roleplaying game.
>>
>>45821709
The single and most golden phrase to use as a GM.

-"You can try!"-
>>
>>45821709
They attack normally, and if they hit but don't kill the enemy, I narrate that they hit where they were aiming but didn't cut the limb off. If they hit and kill the enemy, I narrate them lopping the limb off.
I ask them for their jump modifier, see if they are actually physically capable of jumping it, and if they aren't tell them as much. If they insist on trying, they roll, fail, and their character either falls a great distance or slams into a wall.
Tell them to give roleplaying it a try anyway, then they either do or they don't, then I ask for whatever charisma-related check is required. If they succeed they succeed, if they don't they don't.
>>
>>45822051
I meant, if there is no roleplaying then there are no relationships formed with the character, if there is roleplaying then relationships can be formed how ever they work naturally
>>
>>45822083
Alternatively, "Yes, but..."
>>
>>45822022
Just because you don't have a concept of role playing and can't survive a game in which limitations exist, that doesn't mean the average player or party share those failings.

If someone wants to attempt something you let them know how hard it is, then you let them try it if they still want to.
>>
>>45822014
>DC 30 manacles
what the fuck
>>
>>45822102
Alternatively, " Yes, butt"
>>
>>45821709

>1
If it's a mook, or the target's low on health, or it's a system that accounts for limb loss, sure.

>2
Tell them it's impossible. If they try anyways, they'll take the consequences.

>3
I'd allow it as a background thing. It's probably better if it's just described as "you go see her" anyways; the rest of the table might feel uncomfortable or some shit.
>>
>>45822091
>Tell them to give roleplaying it a try anyway, then they either do or they don't, then I ask for whatever charisma-related check is required. If they succeed they succeed, if they don't they don't.

Hahaha holy shit you fucking beta bitch.

>H-hey guys c-could you please roleplay?
>Just a little? T-try it guys, it's fun!
>No? O-ok just roll I guess...
>Yay you win the game! Please use a coaster...
>>
>>45822102
No no no. No buts. Its not a matter of but. They can try to do whatever they want, its not your fault if the rules dont support it, but if you feel like being a cool guy you can be charitable. Thats it.
>>
>>45822168
the assumptions you make off a single line is embarrassing nigga
baka tbqh family
>>
>>45821709
>"i want to...
An easy response when a player puts you in the position of only being able to say "no" is to ask them "Sounds cool, so what's your plan?" If their plan isn't good enough you can describe how it fails if it's good enough then it's good enough. It puts the onus on them to figure out how it's meant to work and pulls the player out of the mindset of asking for things until they ask for the right thing.
>>
File: 1452234078279.png (92 KB, 270x257) Image search: [Google]
1452234078279.png
92 KB, 270x257
>>45822168
> The pot calling the kettle black
>>
>>45821709
"...yes and?"
>>
>>45822131
That's actually lower than the real thing.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/shackles-of-compliance
>>
>>45821709
Depends on the game I'm DMing, I either go by the rules or by the flow.
If there are no rules, most of the time I'll say No, unless it goes well with the flow of the battle. I don't want encounters be marginalized by excessive limbdetaching. I had my fucking fill of Shadowrun Headshot Tag.

I give him a difficulty and let him roll. He'll fail and hit his face, unless he pulls some sort of miraculous bullshit, but it's not my place as DM to deny a player his god-given right of Freedom to jump off a cliff.

"Well, how the fuck do you want to accomplish this?"
Rolling and Roleplaying go hand in hand.
>>
>>45821709
Be a good sport and use the rules for those.

Gotta love playing GURPS
>>
>>45821709
1. I'd allow that on a crit with a slashing weapon

2. That might not be done even with a crit

3. Nope. It's called a roleplaying game. Not friendshipbutton 2000
>>
>>45821709
I think aimed shots are fine in small doses. Trying to cut off someone's hand is going to be really tough though in the split second combat is taking place, so I make some penalty for their roll.

If they want to jump something that's too high, I'd clarify how tall it is, and that perhaps climbing would be better, depending on surface.

If they want friends in an rpg though, that's roleplaying, but if they tell me that I can put said npcs in their path more.

I'm pretty relaxed, I guess.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.