[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a really good rules-light system that has a bit of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_n2chi5hF5j1qhttpto4_1280.jpg (605 KB, 1280x843) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2chi5hF5j1qhttpto4_1280.jpg
605 KB, 1280x843
What's a really good rules-light system that has a bit of everything? Dungeon World is too dungeoncrawley, I'm trying to find something that's got a bit of investigation, a bit of social stuff, a bit of combat rules... a bit of everything, but not too much of anything. Something really flexible and lightweight. Does such a magical wondrous system exist?
>>
>>45745936
BRP
>>
Savage Worlds?
>>
>>45746497
I'm looking at the savage worlds book and it seems pretty spot-on, lots of adaptability and not too heavy on the rules
>>
>>45745936
>Dungeon World is too dungeoncrawley
you don't even know what dungeon crawling is if you think that system is even remotely catered to it.
>>
You won't find a good rules light system that does everything.

Generally in RPGs, even well designed games it's a case of picking two of those three- Good rules, simple rules, and generalist rules.

If you want a good, generalist game? It's not going to be simple.
>>
File: Mini Six.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mini Six.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Mini Six has a little bit of a lot of things, it could probably work. Barring that, GURPS is as rules-light as you want it to be.
>>
>>45745936
FATE Core
>>
>>45745936

>a bit of investigation, a bit of social stuff, a bit of combat

maybe Dying Earth RPG?
>>
>>45745936
Cypher System is pretty good, has guidelines for all sorts of games. Also can use creatures from Numenera and The Strange so there's loads of material
>>
>>45745936
Does labyrinth Lord count?
>>
>>45745936

GUMSHOE basic is pretty rules light and deals with investigations. They use it for Mutant City Blues, Ashen Stars, Esoterrorists, Night's Black... something. Its not bad.
>>
World of Darkness, actually. May take just a tad of reading ti fully understand the social skills and merits, but otherwise its a fantastic system for doing most stuff.
>>
>>45753153
WOD for all it's flaws is my golden standard for how complex a RPG should be. The rules are simple enough to be easy to remeber while be detailed enough to be structured.
>>
>>45745936
How the fuck is Dungeon World dungeon crawly? It was literally setup to be the opposite of that. The system you're asking for is Dungeon World. Or maybe try Apocalypse World if you want slightly more social options built in.
>>
>>45753099
Night's Black Agents is what you're thinking of. Secret Agent Vampire Hunters go!
>>
>>45753793
>Recommending any sort of *World game for anything ever.
>>
>>45746497
Savage worlds is a broken mess
>>
>>45753793
Dungeon World is dungeon crawly in that all the rules and moves are set up to be about crawling in dungeons. Not much in the way of non-dungeon mechanics. Just like DnD.

People seem to have this really weird idea about how *World games are played when the actual answer is that from the perspective of a player, you play it like any other RPG, and from the perspective of a GM, you play it like you play any other RPG, except with the addition that you're discouraged from having a set plot in mind, only Threats and Fronts.
>>
>>45753987
how so? no, really, what's wrong with it?

>>45753957
>not recommending ApocalypseWorld
a bit offtopic, but AW is legit good for what it sets out to do. It's the hacks that are the problem
>>
>>45754051
>a bit offtopic, but AW is legit good for what it sets out to do. It's the hacks that are the problem

Depends on the hacks.
Monsterhearts is very good at both emulating and deconstructing the source material. You could rewrite to be 'generic teen drama game' and all you'd need is to remove the metaphors.

World Wide Wrestling is extremely well-received for what it is, too.

Dungeon World is a bit awkward unfortunately, since the DnD-bits dilute the good AW bits.

And from what I've heard, Tremulus is just plain shit.
>>
morning /tg/, seems like a lot of people have a lot of different and sometimes contradictory suggestions.

Apparently I'm wrong about Dungeon World being Dungeon Crawly? I didn't intend for it to sound like a bold statement of fact, I merely skimmed the PDF and thought to myself that I didn't see a lot of mechanics pertaining to the investigative and social/RP sides that I was trying to go for.
>>
What you need is roleplaying, not a specific system.
>>
>>45754269
I'm not sure what that means.
>>
>>45754018
>you play RPGs like they were RPGs

>>45745936
>I want these plot elements, what set of mechanics make this happen?
>>
>>45754300
It means you don't need to have mechanics to do social interaction and investigation. It's just a matter of roleplaying and scenario design.
>>
>>45754340
Well, that's true, it isn't REQUIRED, but it makes it a lot more fun to do if it has some gameplay mechanics tied to it, wouldn't you agree?
>>
>>45754363
Go with BRP then as someone suggested. It's as easy as counting to ten.
>>
>>45754386
Alright, I'll look into that, thanks
>>
>>45754386
With mechanics as basic as that you're relying on everyone being good roleplayers anyway with a small amount of randomness thrown in by the dice.

OP probably wants social and interaction minigames, like how combat is a minigame (if not the whole game) in most RPGs, and that shit is few and far between. Fate kind of does it though
>>
>>45754255

You aren't wrong. Dungeon World is a dungeon crawly game. Not sure what that guy is smoking.

>>45753987

Savage Worlds is probably one of the most functional games right out of the box there is, so I am very curious as to what makes you say that.

>>45745936

FATE Core, FAE, Savage Worlds.
>>
>>45754605
>You aren't wrong. Dungeon World is a dungeon crawly game. Not sure what that guy is smoking.
It's not really. Nothing in the rules implies such.

Speaking of Dungeon World, it's a pretty shitty roleplaying system to be honest. They try to get the players to actually roleplay their actions instead of staring at their character sheets for options but the mechanics force the exact opposite behaviour. You're supposed to *use moves*. Some of them are designed in a way that you can't really roleplay your action and let the GM call for the move but you need to specifically state that you're now using move x. It's very gamist. Also the classes are poorly designed. I'm not familiar with AW so don't know how that is.
>>
>>45745936
Risus.
>>
>>45745936
check Into the Odd, but social skills there are handled by pure Roleplaying and maybe a luck dice if the GM sees it fit (roll 1d6, the higher you roll the higher reaction you get)
>>
>>45745936
Runequest 6.
Yeah the combat rules are a bit iffy at first, but once you get the hang of them they really make a lot of sense.
The magic system is a little complex, but it makes for a lot of flavor with the wizard actually being hugely invested in how to use his spells while everyone else is just, "why can't you just wizard it?"
Apart from the it's a simple system with good rules and a huge possibility for customization.
>>
FATE/FATE Accelerated would be my answer

Savage Worlds is also good (although I honestly think that it could be improved a lot).

I'd shill Strike! as usual, but the meat there is in the combat. Out of combat is kinda Powered by the Apocalypse light.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.