[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game breaking bugs in d&d 5e?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: Tiamat.jpg (182 KB, 1513x1125) Image search: [Google]
Tiamat.jpg
182 KB, 1513x1125
So I've just picked up 5e. How do I break the game easily?
>pics obviously unrelated
>>
You bribe the GM.
>>
>>45738714
Clever bastard
>>
It's honestly a tough system to break, combat wise. You can really capitalize on a race/class combo with custom backgrounds (pick your own skill proficiency and feats, and even those can be custom). You can optimize into one type of combat and just really shine through. I'd be interested in seeing classes 'tiered' like they were in 3.5, but that's a different discussion.
>>
>>45738637

2-handed weapon barbarian has the best dpr, if that's what you're concerned with. Bards can solve most out-of-combat challenges, or at least buff up someone else so that they can steamroll through things. That's about as earth-shattering as you're going to get, I'm afraid.
>>
>>45739253
This is blatantly incorrect, just for reference.

It's Sorlock.

Barbarian isn't really close to the top.
>>
>>45738637
If you're playing low level single class, just make a paladin. Smite is so fucking rad.
>>
>>45738637
I've been playing around with building an Aarakocra monk that knocks people over, picks them up, flys up, and drops them. The fluff is that he's like a luchadore.

It could do crazy dps at lower levels compared to other classes
>>
>>45738714
suck his dick a lil bit. That should do it.
>>
>>45742000
I don't think Ara~cockcara~ can fly while carrying anyone, they can't wear heavy armour.
>>
>>45742782
Why not? If they have a high enough strength score they can.

You could argue the armor impedes wing movement, and has nothing to do with weight
>>
>>45743197
Even if they're strong, they still have relatively thin and light bodies (says so in the ee guide) so the armour would be too heavy. Chainmail could easily be made to fit wings, like the dragon sorceror section says, they can't be sprouted in armour unless it has been made to accommodate them. If it was a case of armour being restrictive it would say.

Either way, ask your DM. They have the final say, not me.
>>
>>45738637
Genuinely curious, why do you want to break a pen and paper rpg of all the game types you could break?
>>
File: dnd5-bard.jpg (156 KB, 497x935) Image search: [Google]
dnd5-bard.jpg
156 KB, 497x935
>>45738637
>How do I break the game easily?

Play as a bard...
>>
Because of the "bounded accuracy" thing, spells that give you more monsters, like animate object and animate dead, are really powerful. So play as a necromancer. Alternately, play as a bard and get early access to spells like Destructive Wave that aren't supposed to come online until much later.
>>
Variant Human Fighter or Barbarian with the Great Weapon Master feat.

For an out-of-combat Jack-of-all-trades, play a Half-Elf Bard.

You can't really break the game, but some builds are better than others.
>>
File: 1447249035483.jpg (13 KB, 540x489) Image search: [Google]
1447249035483.jpg
13 KB, 540x489
>>45743520
Because he thinks players have proportionally more fun the more damage they can do so he wants to maximize his fun, even though all that does is put needless strain on the GM to find more enemies and predicaments where other teammates would have a change to fight first.
>>
>>45743897
I mean, that or he's just curious. Seeing how people can exploit rules can be really fun sometimes. That said, if your DM lets you exploit anything to the point where you're far more powerful than everyone else they're a cruddy DM.
>>
>>45743924
Not necessarily. I play D&D with a group of old friends, and we think it's quite fun to compete for the most broken character while our DM throws us into a meat grinder. If the players are having fun, you're a good DM.
>>
Not game breaking but a Monk17/bladelock3 (undying light)

Can do 2d10 +10 ( martail arts ) + 1d6 + 5 (short sword ) and if you can add green flame blade that would be 4d8 + 5

But I'm to sure how green flame blade plus monk martail arts works

Something about that build if it works seems like the most anime evee
>>
>>45738637
You burn down your own house. Preferably while you're still inside it, you metagaming cunt.
>>
>>45738637
>wanting to break a game
>playing 5e
How shit can 1 persons taste be
>>
>>45745941
In fact all that and an unrelated image you really are some of the shortest taste I have ever seen.
>>
simulacrum loop

be a wizard (or a bard)
prepare simulacrum and wish (if you're a bard, make sure you take these as your extra spells)
use simulacrum on yourself (do not use wish)
have your simulacrum use wish to cast simulacrum on you
this creates a new simulacrum who also has wish
have this simulacrum do the same thing, and that simulacrum, and so on ad infinitum
in this manner, you create an army of level 20 wizards/bards

you should also play around with simulacrum and true polymorph. since true polymorph treats CR as equal to level, at level 20 you can turn your simulacrums into CR 20 creatures - effectively, creatures worth a whole party of level 20 PCs. if you want a dragon pet this is the way to do it. combined with the above method you could theoretically make an army of wizards riding the backs of ancient white dragons into battle. hopefully that is sufficiently game-breaking for you.
>>
>>45740774

Run the numbers. Great Weapon Master + Reckless Attack outclasses every other build.
>>
File: Bardic Ultrahorse.png (975 KB, 1239x2971) Image search: [Google]
Bardic Ultrahorse.png
975 KB, 1239x2971
There's always the Bardic Ultrahorse.
>>
>>45747933
Aw man, I figured this would let my paladin's mount having SMITING HOOVES, but that's a whole new level of crazy!
>>
>>45744133
You can use your Martial Arts damage die for any monk weapon attack, which would include shortswords.

Using Greenflame Blade would prevent use of Flurry though, since GFB uses the Cast a Spell action, while Flurry of Blows requires the Attack action. You can still use Ki for other bonus actions, though, and Hex is generally great with monks.

>>45747933
Didn't Sage Advice kill that one ages ago?
>>
>>45742000
Why didn't you go for the DBZ monk? That way you'll just rain energy beams from above.
>>
>>45748102
>Didn't Sage Advice kill that one ages ago?

Yes but I can't be assed to look through all their damn posts to find it.
>>
>>45748100
You can also use it with Commune to have your horse annoy a god with pointless questions.

>>Oh mighty Odin, I beseech your aid. Wherefore might I find the Well of Souls so that I may stop Loki's vile treachery.

>>Neigh, mighty all-father, where might a fine stallion like myself find himself some tasty apples?
>>
>>45747933
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/07/01/twin-thunderwave-dd-errata/

Doesn't work by RAW or RAI. It's not like bards need it to be good; they're the best class anyways.

>>45748263
This, on the other hand, works by RAW and RAI, and is hilarious. Your DM might not like it, though.
>>
>>45743980

I'm getting pretty tired of this lazy relativism that panders to shitty, shallow people.
>>
File: No targeting here.jpg (325 KB, 691x936) Image search: [Google]
No targeting here.jpg
325 KB, 691x936
>>45748342
But nothing on page 203 discusses targeting at all. It is about Spell Components, Duration, and a Side Bar explaining schools of magic...
>>
>>45748627
204, however, does have the distinction. Presumably a page number error.
>>
>>45748644
And nothing on 204 says that things within an area of effect are targeted by the spell. They may be effected by it but aren't necessarily targeted by it.

"A cone's point of origin is not included in the cone's area of effect, unless you decide otherwise."

"A cylinder's point of origin is included in the cynlinder's area of effect."
>>
>>45748764
More importantly: It makes a distinction between creatures as targets and points of origin.

Thunderwave doesn't target you; it targets the point you are on.
>>
>>45739253
>>45740774
Pretty sure it's Vengeance Pally.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.