[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>TFW There will never be a good Golden Age of Piracy RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
>TFW There will never be a good Golden Age of Piracy RPG
>>
Make one, or commission someone to make one. What content makes it "good"? Be clear and use your words. Speaking of words, where's the discussion here? Are you challenging people to find a Golden Age of Piracy RPG that you think is good? That falls back to you being clear about your opinions and using your words. Or do you want people to discuss in general what would make such a thing possible? Again, using your words helps greatly. Who's going to know what you want if you just post a single line of text and a stupid frog?
>>
>>45736280
G_ _ _ S

Fill in the blanks.
>>
While it's still in alpha/beta I'm relatively sure Naval action is a pretty good game. Though it doesn't let you take control of a buccaneer - it's more you controlling your crew as you do... stuff. Pretty good, IMO.
>>
>>45736342
That heavily depends if the guy running it is actually any good.
though the same could be said about every other game though.
>>
File: Guts_Portrait.jpg (94 KB, 468x468) Image search: [Google]
Guts_Portrait.jpg
94 KB, 468x468
>>45736342
Guts?
>>
>>45736469
Gutts*
>>
File: pirate-forlorn.jpg (120 KB, 800x595) Image search: [Google]
pirate-forlorn.jpg
120 KB, 800x595
>MFW You will never be a glorious Pirate raping and pillaging the Caribbean.
>MFW You will never slowly build a crew of loyal pirates
>MFW When you will never build a ship from a lowly sloop to something much greater
>MFW When you will never name that ship
>MFW When will never have a death defying hard fought engagement with a British Pirate hunter
>MFW When your name will never be known a feared throughout the seas like Edward Thatch
>MFW The only swashbuckling game is designed by John Wick

Yeah, a Pirate RPG in a fantasy world or our own would be fucking awesome.

Managing a crew with your PC Captain, First Mate, and Quarter Master. Having glorious and daring attacks on ships with the serious risk of loss. Customizing the shit out of your ship..
God damn that sounds like so much fun, someone make a Swashbuckling RPG already.

And No, 7th Seas doesn't count, it sucks.
>>
Have you read Furry Pirates? It is actually not bad.
>>
>tfw our group played one
>tfw I played royal navy
>tfw fucking pirate scum kept getting their way, even my character's rival
>>
>>45736280
What about Seventh Sea?
>>
>>45736342
Games? Yes, he's looking for a game. We know!
>>
File: elton why.jpg (8 KB, 452x311) Image search: [Google]
elton why.jpg
8 KB, 452x311
>>45736280
>TFW there will never be a Golden Age of Piracy again

But it is entirely possible to play good pirate adventures with your friends.
>>
>>45736342
Literally this.

Perfect system for it.
>>
File: Poison'd - A Pirate RPG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Poison'd - A Pirate RPG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45736280
I have played several pirates RPGs, including GURPS Swashbucklers, D20 Corsairs, 7th Sea, and even FGU's old Privateers and Gentlemen. But PDF related is the only game that I think captures the real spirit of the thing, and does it with a fraction of the effort of the other titles.
>>
>>45737198
>Perfect system for it.
How so?
>>
>>45736941

7th Sea needs a little houserules (Characters don't get enough points to really be competent) but it's generally pretty good.

150 points, half cost for sword schools and magic works pretty well.
>>
>>45737284

Because GURPS is the perfect system for everything.
>>
>>45737253
>>45737181
7th Sea also works in the right DMs hands. Seriously, the rules are there, the fluff is available to all since the internet exists.
Go for it.

>>45737198
>>45737284
...can we just let GURPS have their own thread where 'WE HAVE MODULES FOR EVERYTHING' and the 'IT IS STILL A CRUD SYSTEM!' people shit on each other? Please?
I saw one too many thread derail...
>>
>>45737293
>it is because it is
Great argument, shithead. Not exactly the most rining endorsement.

>>45737301
So how about someone explain why it is "perfect"? How could a generic system possibly do something that a dedicated one couldn't?
>>
>>45736941
Judging by the people in this thread. I don't think they want to high adventure Pirates of the Caribbean setting. You know, they don't want magic, or fighting a dozen men alone and more of a focus on ships and less on, well everything else 7th focuses on. Also Viking in long boats are kinda.. yeah, lol.
>>
>>45737421
7Th sea is like Vikings, and Musketeers, and Celts, and Knights, and Shaman and shit. Now put them on boats. Bam you have the setting.
>>
File: 1443909224640.jpg (145 KB, 458x599) Image search: [Google]
1443909224640.jpg
145 KB, 458x599
>>45736280
Hilariously, it wasn't bad and put a ton of research into it
Unfortunately, it's exactly what it looks like
>>
>>45737501
If that's the best pirate RPGs got, what a sad state that genre is in.
>>
>>45737284
>good rules for period-appropriate firearms and combat in general, very nice for swashbuckling
>can stat vehicles like ships
>skills for everything else pirate life may entail
>>
>>45736280
Meming aside. I actually ran a campaign in this with GURPS. All the rules exist for trade, weapons, ships, ship weapons, ect. You would just need to do what makes most people dislike GURPS.

A metric fuckton of work setting up the game.
>>
>>45736706
sounds like rogue trader...

just hack off a dimension from ship-combat.
>>
>>45737309
Because a generic system is broad. It has rules covering every situation you're going to encounter. If your pirates need to get off their ships to explore an aztec dungeon, a dedicated system would struggle. If your pirates decide to govern the port they just pillaged, your dedicated system would struggle.

Specifically, however, GURPS does historical games to a tee. The combat options are incredibly broad, the guns handle like they actually would, any wound could potentially be lethal. It's perfect for high-risk, high-lethality piracy because every fight carries a real risk of getting killed.
>>
File: Nemesissm.png (803 KB, 900x2410) Image search: [Google]
Nemesissm.png
803 KB, 900x2410
>>45736771
sounds like you had a nemesis

>>45737253

This guy knows what's up.
>>
>>45737421
>Also Viking in long boats are kinda.. yeah, lol.

The "longboats" are actually the size of regular ships. And have cannons. You can see on the picture of their iconic ship, the Revensj.
They're not COMPLETELY archaic, though it's been mentioned they have to buy the cannons and can't make their own and still vastly prefer boarding parties as a method of capturing ships.
>>
>>45740501
>If your pirates decide to govern the port they just pillaged, your dedicated system would struggle.

>mfw I have the GURPS rulebook for that

Send help.
>>
File: 1565498148.jpg (111 KB, 497x640) Image search: [Google]
1565498148.jpg
111 KB, 497x640
>>45740623
>that pic
>>
>>45737501
So its kinda like a pirate version of Ironclaw, or what?
>>
>>45736280
Sounds like you haven't played Furry Pirates.
>>
If a furry game is the best Pirate RPG we have, then we are truly lost.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.