[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wargaming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: 1456273029155.jpg (214 KB, 705x1000) Image search: [Google]
1456273029155.jpg
214 KB, 705x1000
New to wargaming.

I've read a lot of threads about the various games.

Conclusion? You all hate the games you play.

So, you will decide what I get.

AoS
Malifaux
Frostgrave
Infinity
Warmahordes

Go!
>>
File: image.jpg (317 KB, 638x574) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
317 KB, 638x574
I play 40k. But if you want balance stick with Warmachine or Infinity. 40k has my favorite lore though
>>
>>45734210

Just walk away now, don't play games, or hang out on /tg/, you'll have more money, sanity and dignity.
>>
>>45734292

None of those are an issue.
>>
>>45734210
>You all hate the games you play.y
Loads of people post in threads for games they don't actually play, just saying.

>So, you will decide what I get.
Read the rules and background of the stuff that interests you. Then make up your own mind. Even just by looking at the art you should be able to make a decision based on what you like and what not.
Kind of a curious mindset for something you're gonna sink a lot of money and even more time into.

I'm gonna give you my thoughts on the ones you mentioned though.
>AoS
Sinking ship and the miniatures are atrocious. Nobody wants to work for GW anymore, which is why all the AoS art sucks so bad these days.
>40k
Every two years there will be new books and supplements that will cost an arm an a leg, invalidating your unit choices, so you get back to buying new stuff. The game is getting bigger and bigger. It's going down the same road that WHFB went, before GW killed it off.
>Malifaux
The minis are hit and miss imo, they have a lot of cool indeas in there, they're plastic and the rules are supposed to be very good. It's also a skirmisher that stays true to the idea. You don't need a lot of minis unlike AoS or 40k.
>Frostgrave
Your warband is 10 miniatures maxminum. Rules are pretty sleek. Minor problems with xp management in campaign settings. Other than that it's pretty great. You can use any and all miniatures you like. You customize your wizard and choose from a rooster of generic mooks.
>Infinity
If you are into Anime and Manga this is the one for you. Minis are great, rules are solid. Avoid if you are a prude or hate weebs.
>Warmahordes
If you like the style of the game that's a plus I think it's goofy. It's geared towards competitive play more than the other games in your list and doesn't necessarily give you as many options as some others.

Lurk in the respective generals and ask questions there, if you want to know more.
Frostgrave is once weekly on Friday/Saturday.
>>
>>45734660

Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.
>>
>>45734799
Oh yeah and something else to consider:
A single character for AoS costs as much as a starter for Infinity or a Gang for Malifaux. Frostgrave is a special case since you got so much freedom. I bought a box of Fireforge Men at Arms, though which is about the same price and enough for four warbands.
AoS and 40k are Wargames rather than skirmishers, so you'll need loads more miniatures. Even though AoS is marketed by saying you can use as little as you want they regularly publish warscolls, i.e. rules for big units that get special benefits. And as I mentioned, by any other standard, AoS prices are outrageous.
Warmahordes is somewhere inbetween those two extremes in terms of money, depending on how many units you want to use.

Frostgrave and Infinity need most scenery out of all of those, but also use the smallest tables.
>>
There's also heralds of ruin kill team for 40k, and the start collecting boxes gw sells get you a pretty decent team for that. It's my favorite way to play with my 40k miniatures, actually.

That said, if you want to play a game, pick the one with the rules you think are coolest. If you want a hobby, pick the game with the coolest miniatures and setting. These games are too expensive to not be crazy about the Army you choose!
>>
Malifaux, there is no other answer. The game has it all
>>
>>45736266
>implying smorgasbord of styles is a good thing
>>
>>45734210
Play whichever game is the most popular locally.

If there are multiple, play the one that has the best people.

Fun in wargaming is made or lost based on the player base. The best game in the world won't be fun if all the players you have to go against are jackasses.
>>
>>45734210
40k has the most in depth lore, both official and fan made.

Infinity has the best ruleset, and best models & setting imo.

Warmahordes is more like a plug & play game, there's only really one winning tactic for each army, so you know what your opponent's going to do the moment you see their models.

Never played Malifex, no local scene.

But if you really want to enjoy the hobby, pick whatever has the biggest following, so you can play against a bunch of people, as often as you like.
>>
>>45734210
Any but AoS. Not only its future is unclear, but entire armies and units may be removed in the near future, out of the blue. It is a very risky place to put your money, considering the high costs.

40k can be very fun if your meta doesn't netlist, and/or realize that double Riptide at 1k points/3 Imperial knights at 2k aren't very interesting for anyone involved. You can also try the skirmish version, which requires few models, Kill Team, or its variant, Kill Team Heralds of Ruin. Check your area first because not everyone plays this skirmish version.

About the others, I'd say Infinity is nice all around but sadly with a few sexist models. Not a huge drawback however.

Warma is well balanced but imho its aesthetic sucks big time.

Frostgrave, I have only heard good things about it.

Lastly, Warhammer Fantasy may be alive and kicking in your area. If this is the case, and people aren't WAAC assholes, and they enjoy lower points games (three big ifs) I'd suggest this game. Beautiful models, many of which you can get cheap on eBay, lots of random stuff that can alter the game, and many options available for your army and heroes, giving quickly a feel of "your dudes".
>>
>>45734210
Just gonna talk about what I play

>AoS
It's fun, super simple and shallow but fun non the less, especially if you keep it simple and play it with only a couple of units and 2 or 3 heroes.

>Frostgrave
My current favorite. Fun but, if you angered the dice gods, absurdly lethal. Love the flavor and the liberty you get when building your wizard.
Campaign mode is the tits
Cheap as balls, even cheaper if you go for 15mm.

>Warmahordes
I only play it once a month with a group of friends, it's a cool game but I've been having less fun every time I play, too competitive gameplay for me.
>>
>>45734210
Download Toyhammer, get a bunch of toys and give them silly rules based on appearance (flying bonuses for wings and shit).

Spend the money you save on booze or drugs or a house. Have the same amount of fun with your friends.
>>
>>45734210
AoS seems like a sinking ship, but I've talked to a few people who said the rules are actually fun, but it's not balanced or competetive at all.

40k has some nice models and good lore, but it's fucking expensive, and GW's policy of invalidating half of your army with a new Codex sucks. Also rules are meh and game balance is rubbish, as you can expect from GW. But at least you can play it competetively, unlike AoS.

I play Malifaux currently, I love the rules and the way the game plays (rather fast and objective oriented), but the minis can be a hit-or-miss. If you like the aesthetics, and it's active in your area you should give it a try. It's relatively cheap to get into, and you don't have to paint a ton of models which is a huge plus for lazy people like me.

As far as I know, nobody plays Frostgrave in my country, but it looks similar to Mordheim, which is good. No idea about the rules, but it looks like a cheap game, so if it's active in your area, you should give it a try.

Infinity had some appeal to me back in 2009 when it was quite new, but I disliked the rules. Weird activations and true line of sight was a huge turnoff for me. Also I'm not really into anime, and Scotsmen with guns and Crusaders with guns were not enough to convince me to play the game.

Warmahordes has good rules and some good minis, although it's VERY competetive and if you play seriously, you won't ever use like half of them. I've played it for 3 years until I switched to Malifaux due to lower model count, costs and not enough time to play two games, but it's also a good game.

I'd check the minis, and decide if you want big or small scale combat, how much money do you want to spend and if you want to play competetively or just to have a fun time rolling dices.
>>
>>45737146
>AoS seems like a sinking ship, but I've talked to a few people who said the rules are actually fun, but it's not balanced or competetive at all.

If anyone is thinking about playing AoS they should just get some cheap toys and mash them together while making clanging and fighting sounds like 10 year olds do. The rules are pretty much a slightly advanced form of that.
>>
>>45736778
Cheesecake and sexism are not the same, and by conflating them you are furthering the agenda of loud idiots who have no business talking about gender politics.
>>
>>45734210

warhammer 9th age. The only sensible choice
>>
>>45734210
As a (former) whfb player I would with Infinity. Skirmish game, fairly tactical, low models count, very affordable. Mordheim (if it is played in the area, which is unlikely) could also appeal to you as well as Kill team. Generically I advice against non skirmish games for the present times, but in the end the real question is: which one of those games is played in your gaming community?
(If it is Aos, avoid like plague)
>>
>>45737679
Unless you like magic.
>>
>>45734210
If you are 100% new to wargaming, don't invest in one of the big wargames, start with a sort of wargame light to dip your toes in and see if you enjoy it.

Someone recommended that I try Battlelore, 2nd edition. Less than a hundred bucks gives you a boardgame with like 90 miniatures and solid rules, you can paint the miniatures if you want to, it involves stuff like army building etc.

Since I got it my group has more or less abandoned 40k and 3 other people has gotten it as well. One of them is replacing all the standard miniatures with random fantasy minis from other games and ranges just for fun and to do conversions.

If you are already some kind of rpg geek or like building terrain and models but haven't gotten into wargaming yet, and you have friends who'll play with you and you mainly play at home as opposed to a store, get Frostrgrave.

Easily the most fun and cheap out of all the options you listed.
>>
>>45734660
I don't know what kind of crap are you smoking, but AoS miniatures are a delight. Not much compares, even 40K looks horrible compared to them.
>>
>>45738054
As a side note, frost grave looks like a sculptor had explosive diarrhea after swallowing too much wax and modeling clay.
>>
>>45738070
Good thing you can use use whatever minis you want for Frostgrave then, right?

We seriously have a guy who has converted his warband from AoS minis and one who's playing with Lord of the Rings figs.

/tg/ keeps surprising me with how much of a chore people think that the hobby aspect of hobby games are. Omg, using anything but the official minis!
>>
>>45738113
I'm a brand fanboy. It gives me autistic satisfaction when I, let's say, paint minis with paints from the same manufacturer. Also the army gets a more consistent design and thus becomes fluffier.
>>
>>45738134
I can't tell if you're joking or being serious.
>>
OP here.

Wow, lot's of replies while sleeping.

It all seems like good advice. I'm looking into certain "starter boxes." I'm going to go off what looks cool and what I know is played in my area.

That'll narrow it down to:

Warmahordes
Malifaux
>>
>>45738154
I wholeheartedly support Warmahordes. They are the best balanced out of the three, so you probably will never experience 40K style curbstomping. They got the best minis (imho) and are the second most popular fantasy miniature wargame (but still way behind 40K).
>>
>>45738224
>the best balanced out of the three
More like the slightly less terribly balanced.

You can be best in class and still be retarded.
>>
>>45738265
The biggest power difference in WMH would be between CoC and Cryx, and CoC could still put up a fight, maybe even win. On the other hand try fielding CSM/Nids vs Tau. Have fun getting all the dakka stuffed up your ass.
>>
>>45738154
Fuck all 3.
Get Epic:Armageddon (or is it NetEpic:Armageddon now?).

It's balanced and playtested.
The system itself has a number of features that make it 'better' than most other systems:
>one of the best morale and command&control mechanics
>strategic movement and obj grabbing as essential parts of the game
>alternating activations instead of IGO-UGO
but let me repeat the most important part:
it's actually balanced, and playtested to the point there is a playtesting protocol in place.
>>
File: DG_Inf_3.jpg (129 KB, 650x341) Image search: [Google]
DG_Inf_3.jpg
129 KB, 650x341
>>45738343
Can not agree more with this, but you need to have people to play with which kills it for most people. That said, buying 2 armies is really cheap, especially if you summon resinbro or one of the other recasters of the forumware custom stuff here on /tg/

An entire company of space marine infantry is less than 50 bucks.
>>
>>45738405
OTOH, if you build 2 armies - say, a Titan Legion and a Tank Regiment - it becomes easy to convert people.

Starting with Orks vs Steel Legion would be more balanced, but less flashy.
A few Titans vs a bucket of Russes? That grabs the attention.
>>
>>45738449
The nice thing about playing imperial or traitor dittos is that your superheavies and titans work for more than just one list.

I have some reavers and warhounds that do double duty in both space marine, titan legion, traitor guard, forge world and steel legion lists.

(pic not mine, but I have the same minis, and jesus fuck are they fun to build and tinker with)
>>
the better question is what are your locals playing
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.