[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PODCAST GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: 1440037309325.jpg (338 KB, 920x2999) Image search: [Google]
1440037309325.jpg
338 KB, 920x2999
Let's talk about our favorite /tg/ related podcasts.
>What campaigns are you currently following?

>What's your favorite podcast for /tg/ related news and discussion?

>What are some new and recent podcasts you've enjoyed?

>Have you thought about recording your group's sessions?

I've been trying to listen to Nerd Poker, but the roleplaying isn't that good and it gets old fast. Looking for some new stuff.

Pic almost related.
>>
>>45641062
>Nerd Poker
I was really surprised by how dull that podcast is most of the time considering how much I normally like the comedians involved. Any episode with Thomas Middleditch is good though.

My favorites:

>One Shot
They play a lot of lesser known games and the ones where they play Everyone is John are gold.

>Unspeakable!
Mythos gaming essentials often featuring the creators of Delta Green.

>RPPR
Really good actual plays of a wide variety of games.

>Harmontown
Honorable mention because there is only about 20 minutes of /tg/ material per episode, the quality of which is highly dependent on how drunk the hosts are but Spencer is an inspiration.
>>
>>45641268

Seconding One Shot as Top Tier

Also follow up with Campaign which is their Edge of the Empire campaign, there's going to be a hell of an archive binge because it's been going now for a couple of years but it's totally worth it.
>>
>>45641268
>>45641580
My niggas!

But yeah, I'd also like to add The Glass Cannon Podcast. It's a pretty fun pathfinder podcast
>>
Anybody know of any podcasts that play Unknown Armies? The closest thing I have are some recordings set during a group therapy session or something but the audio is so bad I can barely listen to it.
>>
I like System Mastery, where two nerds review shitty old rpgs.
>>
>>45641268
One Shot is pretty good, when they don't get too dumb. Like when they played something that the author herself called "inspired by social justice", and the actual rules were mainly built around having gender neutral pronouns.

The spin-off Campaign is pretty nice too.
>>
>>45641268
Definitely agreeing on Middleditch episodes of Nerd Poker being pretty good. The eps with Brendan Small aren't too shabby either.
>>
File: System Mastery.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
System Mastery.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
>>45641810
You are my nigger. Also, you don't have to say nerds, nobody else would bother to read the old Stormbringer RPG and nobody else could trigger so many autists
>>
I play CoC, Laundry, DG, Nemesis, MaOCT, Dread, DRYH, and some other stuff

I find Unspeakable! very enjoyable

Also the Good Friends of Jackson Elias

Pseudopod is great. Also HPpodcraft.

Completely unrelated: Adam Savage's stuff on Tested! The Talking Room, Adam's Shop, One Day Builds, and of course Still Untitled. Only the latter is an actual podcast.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWEDpT1gByI
>>
>Have you thought about recording your group's sessions?

Yeah, I have a Twitch show where we play Pathfinder every week. It's growing, slowly, but we're trying to get better every time.

I actually kinda botched this last session, and I'm kicking myself for not handling it better, but oh well.
>>
>>45642231
>Pseudopod
Seconding this, I've lifted tons of ideas from the stories they get.
>>
>>45642394
Isn't recording session sound a huge hassle? I wouldn't know how to do it without micing every player and myself separately. Otherwise you get vastly differing levels from different speakers and it's impossible to understand everyone without setting the volume so loud that other speakers peak out.
>>
>>45642464
It's a Twitch stream, so everyone's audio is just recorded through one Skype call. How would you get different speakers being captured? How do you think audio works?
>>
>>45641062
I started introducing a couple of stand-up comedy buddies of mine to rpgs for the first time through a d20 OGL homebrew that's basically 5eLite, and we've been recording it and putting it up on Soundcloud. I think it's been pretty funny so far. Has anyone done this before? Any advice?
>>
>>45642464
You can do it on the cheap with one or two mics. There will be a little sound variation, but you can mess around with that in post and as long as everyone projects, you'll be fine.
>>
>>45642231
>Good Friends of Jackson Elias
Yes
>>
Beer and board games, though I guess technically not a podcast. four comedians play board games (and sometimes rpg's) while getting drunk. It takes a few episodes to get some of their jokes/personalities, but once you understand them, you'll give yourself a headache from laughing so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qieY9cA7iI4&list=PL49WgzlbhrT0kCIoZQukx-xbwFjSQhYFQ&index=100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWMIog_ZEoY&list=PL49WgzlbhrT0kCIoZQukx-xbwFjSQhYFQ&index=99
>>
>>45642489
Oh, an online round. Then everyone is normalized or limited anyway.

>>45642549
I was also thinking about cannibalizing an old conference phone. Those things have excellent mics and some smarts to filter and level built in. They get voices in crowded rooms pretty well.
>>
File: Dead Parents and Rape.png (13 KB, 1154x268) Image search: [Google]
Dead Parents and Rape.png
13 KB, 1154x268
>>45642492
As a listener, the best advice I can give is to edit judiciously (a lot of podcasts have lots of ums, ers, and boring tabletalk [as opposed to funny or interesting tabletalk]) and to keep the campaign light and simple.

Dungeons and Randomness is a perfect example of how not to do it well; they started with some shitty editing and not knowing the rules (which is another, surprisingly common problem) but the guys were all basically there to have a good time, so it worked out. Over time, it became bloated, both in and out of game. I think there's something like 4 groups in the same world now, so the pacing of the story (whether you just want to hear one group, or you try to follow them all) is severely out of whack, and the people who have joined are almost uniformly terrible performers (not any worse at RP than the average group, but not good performers). As well, the stories became heavy with drama; not fun melodrama, but ponderous 'oh my character was a rape slave and that's why she doesn't trust people, now we have to confront her rapist' bullshit that aimed to be weighty but missed terribly. Similarly, the DM has a nasty tendency to introduce a bunch of 'mysteries' and then get pissy when the audience points out that they conflict with the established story, or that there's already a half-dozen dangling threads and maybe those should be wrapped up before moving on. Party ADD is fine when the DM is just dangling plothooks in a private game, but infuriating if you are trying to watch a show and they abort half of the arcs after giving you just enough that you want to see them conclude. "Wait and See" didn't work on Lost because people don't want to wait forever for payoff.

So basically always remember that you're putting on a show, and your goal is to entertain, not to have a particularly fun campaign as players. If you enjoy it, great, you should if you want to do it, but don't make decisions that value the characters over content.
>>
>>45641716
You Don't Meet At An Inn posted a 5-part Unknown Armies game mid-last year. I'm pretty sure they're the same people that did the group therapy sessions but the audio is much better.
>>
...ffs, I don't want to listen to people jerk off about THAT ONE TIME WHERE MY CHARACTER DID or mathhammer.

Is that all there is to /tg/ content?
>>
File: It Depends.jpg (34 KB, 425x340) Image search: [Google]
It Depends.jpg
34 KB, 425x340
>>45643211
That is an extremely broad statement that in no way addresses what specific problems you have with the podcasts mentioned, or what kind of podcast you would like to listen to.
>>
I've been really enjoying Flip the Table recently; they're a board games podcast that plays the licensed crap you find in thrit stores - America Idol: The Card Game, Murder She Wrote: The Board Game, Star Trek: The VHS Game, etc.

Other than that, I love One Shot and System Mastery, and I'm trying to get into Happy Jack's. I've never thought about recording any of my games, as we game in a room with about five other games and I imagine that'd be a nightmare to fix in post.
>>
Man, I had no idea there were so many podcasts out there. I want to start listening to one instead of the godawful radio on my goddamn long commute, but I can only choose one to start.

I guess One Shot is being mentioned the most?
>>
>>45643157
I'll look it up. Thanks anon.
>>
I listen to quite a few warmachine podcasts, in fact the 'proprieter of the 3rd largest warmachine blog' is in my meta (too bad I poop on him)
>>
>>45641840
Oh man the Traction Park episodes were PAINFUL!

These gender neutral characters are progressive and totally don't slow the game down even further for no reason shut up.
>>
Another shout out for One Shot and Campaign, though they get pretty goofy.

RPPR is solid, never bad but does have the odd meh here and there.

In terms of inspiration fodder, Serial is great; I've also been devouring Tannis and The Black Tapes which have me in a Cthulhu-y headspace and also The Secret History of Hollywood for longform historical information about a period I'm making my Cthulhu game in..

>>45646812

Weren't there only like.. two? Across all the episodes? Like, you had a girlfriend and "partner" and I think a mother and "child". I kind of dug that series because it got me thinking about how the system and set-up presents, like, limited information and how much informations players have to go on in order to make their plans and ideas. How much should you give players and how much do they really need, you know? I guess in my head the gender of certain characters was folded into that, because it never really ruined the listening experience for me.
>>
>>45644193
>I guess One Shot is being mentioned the most?
Seems like it
>>
>>45641062
HISTORY OF ROME PODCAST IS ETERNAL IN ITS GLORY
>>
could anyone reccomend me some tabletop games podcast?
>>
Six Feats Under is great, at least the 13th Age Rogue Elements campaign.

Some of their guests episodes are a bit grating, so take Bonus Feats with a grain of salt.
>>
>>45652825
Is that a lame attempt at a bump, or are you asking for specifically wargames like 40k?
>>
The Jank Cast is a taaad SJWish, but the older episodes are all pretty good.
>>
>>45649484
It's good (and the follow-up Revolutions is better) but it's not exactly /tg/.
>>
>>45641062
Well, what a coincidence, I was looking for new podcasts to listen to.
>>
>>45654780
I strongly recommend giving System Mastery a shot. Go listen to their review of Maid or Vanishing Point. don't start with your favourite RPG they've done, they are overblown in their criticism for humour but it can make people annoyed
>>
>>45642464
Use an area mic. That's what I did when we were playing dnd with some people out of town.
>>
>>45654808
Shit, System Mastery has a Maid podcast? I'll have to give that a look.
>>
Life bump
>>
>>45654227
40k/age of sigmar
>>
>>45658618
For future reference, you know that traditional rpg's (and most other things discussed here) are also tabletop games, right?
>>
>>45658618
Grimdark Podcast mostly discusses the 40k RPGs and can be a bit dull but the hosts have some decent insights on the games.
>>
>>45658948
i thought rpgs were just called rpgs, sorry
>>
In a similar vein, are there any podcasts I should AVOID?
>>
I like a lot of Fandible's stuff, but some of it is hit and miss, and Angela is definitely a little sjw-y, particularly in Hollow Earth. But most of their stuff is decent-to-good. I'm especially fond of their first couple Atomic Rob games.
>>
I LOVE roll for Initiative, but it's AD&D focused and I don't play that, and with the last few episodes they've started doing this running gag (calls from Corporate) and it was only funny maybe the last time of the first episode it was used. Here it is, like 2 episodes later, doing nothing but padding out episode time.
>>
>>45641062
The Adventure Zone hasn't been mentioned. Podcast where three brothers and their dad play dungeons and dragons not at all seriously.
>>
>>45641062

I love this comic. There are some parts where the writing doesn't line up as well, but for the most part I can imagine this entire scene in their voices with the same style of delivery as the show.
>>
>>45661338
Personal friends with these guys, they're great. They have a whole podcast network, so they know how to keep it engaging to listen to.
>>
>>45641062
Saw a lot of replies suggest Campaign and One Shot for their goofiness and seeing no one suggested it, I think Crit Juice is a solid monthly if you like those.
It's a group of actors and comedians who play Pathfinder and play a drinking game alongside it which leads to some memorable, 'only drunks'd do this' shit happening. (The main rules of the drinkgame consisting of 'drink on a crit/fail, drink at the start of initiative, drink when using an action point' and a fourth common thing that escapes me as well as a Drinking God Deck that adds situational drinking rules each recording session.)
>>
>>45661479
I don't see drinking games and RPGs ever really working out. Attention spans get too short.
>>
Kain Campaign
>>
Any podcasts that do solid Dresden and 40k actual play sessions?
>>
>>45665402
Not so much podcast as recordings, Grey Hunter on youtube has a complete like 50 session rogue trader game and another he is running at the moment.

He also has an Only War game that ran close to 30 sessions.

Search the name on youtube and look for the croctopus.
>>
>>45660709
Dungeons and Randomness, as per>>45643080
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.