[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Somehow every single Mormon from Earth has been transported to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6
File: momons.png (134 KB, 350x222) Image search: [Google]
momons.png
134 KB, 350x222
Somehow every single Mormon from Earth has been transported to your world. How do the people respond? How does your party respond?
>>
>>45622906
>mormons band together and create a familial society
>upstanding practices warms other nations to the growing religion
>soon entire world's population becomes mormon
>world ascends to heaven for being perfect
>implying im not just putting a bait post in a bait thread
>>
>>45622906
"Some weirdos who don't speak the language are talking about some Lord who built a fancy garden or some shit in some place called "Eden"".

"Sounds like a fine place. Invite them in for mead."

"Yeah... they don't drink anything made with yeast."

"DRY THE BASTARDS OUT ON THE CROSS!"
>>
>>45622906
Sweet
>>
>>45622987
Kind of like this. My character would be cool with them till he realized they don't allow alcohol.
Do not tell the son of an innkeeper not to drink.
>>
>>45622906
>Every single loyal follower of the Church of latter-day seats of the distantly transported to a distant planet leaving earth forever.

I'm pretty sure this is *literally* mormon cannon.

I for one hope that they're right. And I'll be able to sleep on the Sunday.
>>
>>45622906
In the setting, concentrated faith can actually manifest things into existence.
So the question is how hard they actually believe.
>>
>>45622906
>15 millions modern-day people stuck in fantasy-land.
Most of them die, I guess. Those who survive and find the city are made slaves. The others die slowly to monsters, diseases and starvation.
>>
>>45622906
>The Priests of the Gods of Revels, Trickery, and Alcohol find out, throw a shit fit, and declare a holy war on them.
>>
>>45622906

Does this count the ones they've made mormons posthumously or without their knowledge or consent?

Nevermind, assuming living and even with the dead on their side, they're fucked as only someone without familiarity of the grim darkness of the 40th millennium can be.
>>
>Filthy gaijins appear
>99% of them die inside of a week
>The rest take a bit longer
>>
Would the Mormons be able too use divine magic?
>>
The players are currently failing to halt an apocalypse scenario, so... They probably all die.

Unless they're all Light domain clerics through technicality and decide to help out, I guess.
>>
My world's basic mythology is kind of based on Mormon ideas of the afterlife.

Most people in the setting would think they are pretty normal but they worship a savior figure, which is looked down upon. (You arent supposed to worship a God with a face or name, demons and nature spirits often imitate them to spread Chaos)

Also the humans ITT would think it's weird they don't seem like any normal humans, who are divided into mystical races like half giants, half demon, nature powered and so on.

But other than that, pretty normal.
>>
>>45625532
No
>>
>>45625532
Yes. The whole priesthood structure is about that. Starting from the young deacons all the way up to the elders. I could totally see a magic twist or on all the names titles and different priesthoods
>>
>>45622906
>Tell us more about this "magical undergarment" you speak of...
>>
>>45622906
Well, I wouldn't give a shit about what the responses to those questions might be. The only important thing is I wouldn't need to see them around here anymore.
>>
>>45625532
depends on how it works. if it's powered by faith then sure.

mormons could easily be a powerhouse in a medieval fantasy world. they're a tight-knit community with a focus on self-sufficiency who keep themselves prepared for the apocalypse, which means they're in a better-than-average position to survive their whole lives being turned on their heads. a combination of organisation, numbers, technology and divine magic would make them pretty formidable.
>>
>>45623095
Enough to build there home in a desert next to a lake too salty to drink
>>
>>45624605
You don't understand what they are doing, they don't force it, they give the dead the option. Nothing more nothing less
>>
>>45622906
>Somehow every single Mormon from Earth has been transported to your world. How do the people respond?
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't notice, since I'm on Earth. Where the hell are you from?
>>
>>45626678
Ayylmaos confirmed for browsing /tg/
>>
>>45626600
>15 million Mormons transported
>Roman Empire at its height is estimated at about 45 million
>Mormons generally have a year's worth of supplies at their homes...often more
>Mormon organization is pretty rigid but focuses on creating communities
>Mormon culture is pretty homogenous
>Divine magic is based on faith

So you're dropping 15 million people with about a year's worth of food while they figure everything out with a common culture and an existing power hierarchy onto a psuedo-medieval world. They won't be the biggest, baddest people. But they're a solid tier 2 people.
>>
>>45627034
Why the fuck would aliens browse /tg/? It's not like they'd have some weird obsession with tabletop games which would explain why they abduct people in an attempt to find a fa/tg/uy to play d&d with, right?
>>
How would 40k react to finding a planet of mormons? Would they even be susceptible to chaos?
>>
File: Morphological_Freedom.jpg (107 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
Morphological_Freedom.jpg
107 KB, 750x600
>>45622906
It's Eclipse Phase, so they're gonna have a very bad time if they show up on earth.
The slightly less human exsurgents will disassemble and then in short order process the two cheap excuses for morphs you've linked. And my PCs have developed a shoot first policy for anything and everything they notice outside of the more stable habs.

tl;dr Dead, not or, AND worse in a day.
>>
>>45627280
>How would 40k react to finding a planet of mormons?
As long as they're willing to replace "Jesus" with "The Emperor" and pay tithe to the Imperium, the Imperium doesn't give a shit. If they refuse, things get really ugly for the Mormons.
>Would they even be susceptible to chaos?
Animals and machines are susceptible to chaos. Of course they would be susceptible.
>>
>>45627280
Reports start coming in of Ork yelling at imperial guardsmen to "BELEEV EN JEZUZ"
>>
>>45627130
Least until a marauding band of orcs finds out they have like ZERO weapons training
>>
File: 1455140931648.png (295 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
1455140931648.png
295 KB, 557x605
>>45622906
They already are there
it's post apocalypse US.
they are the new Vatican, alon with the larest tech hub in the setting.
>>
>>45626664

>You don't understand what they are doing, they don't force it, they give the dead the option. Nothing more nothing less

I'm just going to pretend this response is responding to a post about necrophilia. It makes the response so much better.
>>
>>45627411
God damn those missionaries work fast.
>>
>>45627604
Is Mormons being good at surviving in the post-apocalypse a trope now? I've seen it a lot
>>
>>45622906
Um... EVERY single one? Because I was never excommunicated. I'm still technically a Priest.
I don't want to not be here!
>>
So, they go from Earth to WoD Earth, effectivly doubling the mormanity going on and breaking the masquerade at the same fucking time.

I hope a mage got turned into a pain sluts left nipple for this.
>>
>>45626037
>Starting from the young deacons all the way up to the elders
You do realize you can become an "elder" by doing 2 years o missionary work, right?
>>
>>45627770
It's the perfect chance to rejoin the flock.
>>
The biggest coalition of vampire hunters in the setting just doubled in size.
>>
>>45627767
Because they're taught how in church and church activities. Every Mormon family is SUPPOSED to have a years worth of supplies (or more) on hand at all times. Everyone is supposed to have a plan for any emergency, and the church remains in contact and organized. They have PLANS for the world going tits up.
>>45627557
>Least until a marauding band of orcs finds out they have like ZERO weapons training
Not true at all. My uncle has about 1000 rounds and 3 rifles in his 1 year of supplies room as well as my aunts spare clothes making stuff. My grandpa also had several guns in his.
>>
>>45627767
They are, at their core, a doomsday cult.

I am not shitting you. My county is filled with them and they do not hide it. Want to know who has the largest collection of illegal weapons in your area? Look for rich Mormons in the area.
>>
>>45627868
But I like smoking, drinking, and per-marital sex! And I believe in evolution and that gays deserve rights!
>>
>>45627954
Wow, how the fuck where you ever Mormon?
>>
>>45622906
Ex-mormon guy here. Considering the ex-mormons are estimating it to be something like 3-4 million practicing members... it depends.
Do you mean WITH their homes and all, or what they're wearing?

Most still tend to pay lip service to the whole "food storage" thing, but most also wouldn't know how to cook their meals on a fire if you hit them in the face with a cast iron skillet, much less a crock pot.

And the average one doesn't know how to do jack and shit involving preparing actual animals and grains into proper food without electronic or mechanical help.

So, at best, if the homes come with? They're going to start up polygamy damned fast, and all the women are going to be swarming the smart guy who knows enough to feed everyone out of their food stores, at least until the food runs out. Maybe, MAYBE, they'll realize all the grass they've been mowing actually gives you magical things called "Wheat" which becomes the basis for bread.

At worst?

Considering most Mormon boy scout troops are merit badge factories, where only basic lip service is provided to anything but "getting the merit badge done as fast as possible with mommy and daddy's help for every little tiny thing!"... everyone but the ones that are preppers or survivalists are fucked.

Considering I learned more from the books written by one of the co-founders of scouting, Daniel Carter Beard, then I did in getting to my eagle through a mormon troop? Yeah. They've got a LOT of issues coming for them in most every setting.
>>
>>45627950
I was under the impression the Mormons were ascended before everything went tits up.
>>
>>45627770
That's a good question.
>>
>>45627994
I was raised one and stopped going to church when I was 16. A year later and I lost my virginity and loved it. Started smoking pot and drinking when I was 21, and I smoke cigarettes when I drink. Now I live in Washington were it's legal.
>>
>>45628001
Ones I know seem to think either the government will fail before hand or that there will be a sort of resting period where things will go tits up but the end wont get her that fast so they have to last out.
>>
>>45627950
I think the intensity of this conviction varies strongly depending on the region, in my experience anyway.

That being said, on average they are going to probably have a lot of guns and listen to Coast to Coast A.M. and Glenn Beck and stuff.

I'm just stating my experience here. I'm technically Mormon, but lapsed, my Mom isn't, and all her friends mostly are Mormon. Some of them are kind of fucking nuts. A guy from our old ward had his wife divorce him because he wouldn't let her leave the bunker, and insisted that she pack a concealed weapon everywhere and that every family member over a certain age have both the qualification for a C.B. radio, and the radio.

Everyone also knew how to shoot, even the adorable, but frumpily dressed teenaged daughter.

(Also true of the less insane, but equally well armed Scout Master, who lived in suburbia, was very jolly and friendly, but had a lot of fucking guns an everyone could shoot them. No divorce though. Named his daughter "Camisa". Hell of a guy.)

Even the literally granola eating (relative) hippy of our current ward has a piece, I think. (He's not REALLY a hippy, but by mormon standards? eats a lot of health food and home grown stuff.) And my milquetoast convert uncle who's about the nicest guy ever. He's like Ned Flanders. Him? .44 Magnum revolver.
>>
>>45627767

The absolute gold standard prepper handbook is the LDS Preparedness Manual. I'd love to lay hands on the Ward Leader edition, just to see how it approaches community-level organizing.
>>
>>45627767
Essentially what happened is NATO and And BRIC got fucking pissed at each other, dropped nukes, and through what can only be describe as a miracle the temple survived the bombings, Mormons who built bunkers under their, came up, build the new Church, and spread the word outward.
>>
>>45628067
It should hardly bother anyone. Mormon dominated areas are so safe, clean and friendly I can't help but feel they're onto something.
>>
>>45628148
You haven't been the to shitty parts of Salt Lake City.
>>
>>45628197
I'm trying to imagine Mormon muggers and drug dealers, but the image just isn't congealing.
>>
>>45628197
I've been to the shitty part. Nowhere near as bad as the shitty parts of other cities.
>>
>>45622906
In my current GURPS S.t.a.l.k.e.r game?

They'd probably be instakilled by a bloodsucker or cheeki breekied by bandits.
>>
>>45628213
IIRC a lot of the organized crime/gang banger thing is among Polynesian members. They have an interesting form of double think about it akin to the way the Italian Mafia put on airs about being Good Catholics, but are you know, fucking monsters a lot of the time.
>>
>>45628213
About half the city is now non-Mormon. Most of them are Hispanic or foreign.
Just about the whole fucking place still shuts down on Sundays though.
>>
>>45627994
Probably as a younger anon, before he learned about the outside world and that Joseph Smith and his cronies are full of shit.
>>
>>45622906
I was running a game set in Megaman X. They get butchered by Mavericks.
>>
File: 1455390430530.jpg (218 KB, 558x788) Image search: [Google]
1455390430530.jpg
218 KB, 558x788
>>45627604
Oh I guess the party would see them as holy crusaders or some shit.
>>
>>45627557
...you know Browning the guy who invented a bunch of guns was a Mormon
>>
>>45628520
And there were several generations, no less. There was a Browning gunsmithy in Nauvoo, and the one in charge of that made interesting "slide" rifles, that worked by loading several chambers as you normally would, and then after you fired, you simply slid to another chamber. It was awkward and didn't hold a candle to revolvers, but it was innovative, to be sure.

It's also worth noting that the machine gun THAT Browning you speak of designed is still used, and the 1911 is still a perennial favorite.
>>
>>45622906
It's a Stone Age game
Most would die in the first few years from starvation

But the ones that live would be thousands of years ahead of everyone else
>>
Mormon here. For the record, the leadership has never said the reason why we prepare this way is because of an inevitable apocalypse or doomsday. It was always meant to be an excersize in self sufficiency and preparedness. Some just attach to the idea of a d-day to help justify the commandment.
>>
>>45628721
Mormons, say what you want about them, but there's no denying that there pretty good craftsmen
>>
>>45628721
>The Ma Deuce

Possibly the pinnacle of burned propellant repeating arms, and five years shy of a century old.
>>
>>45628760
True that.
>>45628749
If it's true, I do have great respect for Mormons when it comes to eating habits and missionary service, though I'm not mormon myself.
now if you excuse me I'll drink this oatmeal stout and coffee mixer.
>>
>>45628197
What counts as a dangerous area in Salt Lake is laughable to people from out of town.
>>
>>45622906
My game's set in medieval Europe... so everyone around them is going to die of horrific illnesses from their advanced future bacteria and viruses. Religious faith will be giving many of them actual magic powers, and based on my knowledge of church members from growing up Mormon, they are going to be bringing a shitload of guns. Yeah, most aren't proper survivalists, but there are enough of them they might have a chance to start the industrial revolution early.

It'll be a bit of a Columbian situation: future plague devastates the natives, Mormons are not good at surviving without infrastructure they're used to, Mormons have superior modern technology to give them an edge.
>>
>>45628936
As someone who lived in pre shit hole Grand Junction, Salt Lake was like going to what 1950s suburbia must have been like, even in the shit hole areas.
>>
In our Dogs in the Vineyard game? Well, I guess we're not a minority anymore, finally!
>>
>>45622906
The edge of what follows will be painful.
>>
>>45629026
They'll get a crusade called on them since they're the WORST kind of heretics
>>
>>45622906
That depends entirely on how much they're willing to bend their faith to fall in line with one of the extant divinities. You can't just will a god into being through faith.

Mind you, last I checked, most Mormons are white, and white humans haven't been around for something like a thousand years. Well, there's that one guy, but he's undead. So, that's going to be a bit of an eyebrow-raiser.
>>
>>45628821
You do that mate. Agency to make choices is one of our core principles and any mormon who ridicules you of doing that stuff isn't doing mormonism right. We can tell you why we believe it is bad if you ask, but I have no right to impede on you doing it at all.

Back to the doomsday cult accusation, a doomsday cult uses fear and threat of doomsday to enforce behavior and to manipulate choices. We know the end times will come and the second coming and all that, but it is not to incite fear that we talk of this. Our preachers don't say at the pulpits "All yall gonna burn in hell if you dont stock a year supply of food, and if you dont when the nukes fall, we arent gonna share!"

Back on topic though. Our campaign is Dark Heresy, and it is likely going to be a scenario like here: >>45627280 >>45627345
There is discovered a planet of mormons. The ecclesiarchy comes in and says keep doing your thing as long as you pay tithes of men and resources and recognize that the Emperor is the god you speak of and Joeeph Smith was his prophet, we're cool. And it would probably continue to be that way because the church believes you must follow the laws of the land, so tithes to the imperium as well as the church would be encouraged amongst the membership.

At least until the planet gets eaten by a hive fleet.
>>
>>45629182
Don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure church membership around the world of non-white countries outnumbers those of the white countries. Membership in south america alone rivals that of north america.
>>
>>45629201
>until the world gets eaten by a hive fleet.
Like GW will ever make that happen.
>>
But OP, I play on earth, in a modern setting. What happens now?
>>
Well I'm running a sci fi setting that already semi prominently features Mormons. They'd just be considered really backwards and heretical
>>
>>45622906
>How do the people respond?
They wouldn't notice at first. Several million pagans are drop in the ocean of 12 billion denizens of the hive city. More potential cultists for Father Nurgle, genestealers and Slaanesh, I guess.
>How does your party respond?
Annoyed, they already have big trouble with hereteks and crazy servitors.
>>
File: 18go05h2hs7a0jpg.jpg (64 KB, 800x552) Image search: [Google]
18go05h2hs7a0jpg.jpg
64 KB, 800x552
>Gun cleaning intensifies
>>
>>45633066
15 million health (at least healthier than most in fallout) show up

Suddenly the biggest arm in the game

The state of Zion is born
>>
>>45633123
Their health won't last though. And all those that need the modern world to live are going to die.
>>
Get back in our ship, leave 'em to the Sith for a couple of days, then come back to rescue what's left
>>
Reading thread, I see a lot of wanking and ani-wanking.

When I get back from my errands I'm jumping in this.
>>
>>45627557
>Least until a marauding band of orcs finds out they have like ZERO weapons training

It's easy to see you've never actually met any Mormons. They're the religion of some of the most paranoid survivalist types you've ever seen. Learning how to defend yourself is a major part of it.

Also assuming they can bring their supplies they're also entering the setting with 20th and 21st century firearms, and the knowledge to maintain and manufacture them.
>>
>>45628749
Well another part of it is that Salt Lake City is built on a fault line and since it's built on an ancient lake bed the entire underlying geography will turn the entire city into a giant mudpit when an earthquake inevitably hits.
>>
Am Mormon. Can confirm my entire life mission and my greatest desire is to build the world back up and restore the constitution after everything goes to shit.
>>
Assuming its in a location where there are resources and all 15 million arent in the same spot but spread around I imagine they would do well.
>>
It means the world has Fifteen Million idiots on it who probably wouldn't like sailing around with out crew.

Pretty much everyone on the ships drinks, for one reason or another.
>>
>>45632465
There are twice as many mormons
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.