[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say something that you like about a game that you hate. Say
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4
File: 1455389857226.jpg (49 KB, 662x625) Image search: [Google]
1455389857226.jpg
49 KB, 662x625
Say something that you like about a game that you hate.

Say something that you hate about a game that you love.
>>
>>45561016
Weaboo fightan magic. Vehicles.
>>
>>45561016
It's a super popular game.

Not enough sourcebooks
>>
>>45561016
It has an interesting resource based concept.

Everything keeps getting nerfed.
>>
>>45561016

I like that DnD hasn't managed to ruin the PnP scene completely, just 90% of it.

I don't like that Shadowrun is unpopular because retards always overlook something vital, get the team killed, and then blame the game for being too hard.
>>
>>45561016
DnD 3.5 got me into role playing.
I wish Dark Heresy focused more on the galaxy as a whole rather than focusing on a single sector each edition.
>>
It's easy to avoid.

It still uses initiative.
>>
>>45561016
>Say something that you like about a game that you hate.
5e really has the fastest combat of any system that even bothers to have combat mechanics at all. You can get a combat over with in 5-10 minutes.
>Say something that you hate about a game that you love.
4e utility powers should all either be combat useful, all be not combat useful. Also, boring-but-necessary feats why?
>>
>>45564458
>love 4e
>hate 5e
>>
>>45561016
I think "Ethics" and "Morals" alignment scale in FATAL is better than vague "Lawfulness" and "Goodness".

For all its modularity GURPS is a bitch to assemble.
>>
>>45561016
It has created fun moments here in /tg/.

Nobody plays is.
>>
>>45564487

Sounds reasonable to me. 5e is just a pared-down 3.5e that doesn't fix enough of its problems. 4e has very well-balanced combat and a good DM can work past the ropey non-combat elements.
>>
>>45564487
>>45564713
I am of the exact same opinion. I feel 4e stands up well enough on its own as a balanced miniature-focused combat heavy game (even if it doesn't "feel like D&D"), and there are games that do the "3.5-lite" thing better than 5e
>>
>>45564487
4e tried something new, something polarizing admitedly, but at least it was new. Nostalgia edition is just yet another retread of 3e, draped in the meme-trappings of 2e. "3e but better in every way" is objectively an improvement, but if you put "a turd, but better in every way" on a plate, I still wouldn't eat it. I didn't like 3e when it came out in 2000. I didn't like 3e when it came out again in 2003. I didn't like it when it came out again in 2009. Why would I suddenly like something I've disliked for a decade because it was released yet again in 2014?
>>
>something nice about a game you hate
3.5 is a good gateway system and is usually fun enough people to draw people further into the world of tabletop gaming

>something I hate about a game I love
Unknown Armies' 3rd edition is taking too long
>>
>>45561016
Healing surges

Magic system
>>
>>45564815
>3.5 is a good gateway system
problem is it traps them at the gate. it's apparently the heroin of RPGs.
>>
>>45561016
>D&D and PF in general
Easy to find a game.

At the levels I play at (1-7), gameplay is pretty quick and easy with at least 1 person who knows the book well.

>GURPS
Never seen a game advertised IRL.

It takes more prep work for players and GMs, for example: it's easy to get bogged down in and mess up modifiers without a quick reference sheet available.

It can be intimidating (and intimidatingly expensive) when you're going into a GURPS game and they're using the Basic Set and the High-Tech, Martial Arts, and Tactical Shooting sourcebooks, plus options from these 5 issues of Pyramid magazine.
>>
>>45561016
d20 Call of Cthulhu has some of the best advice for running horror games I've seen in a very long time and did an admirable job of attempting to distance the Mythos from Derleth's version.

Unknown Armies needs some actual plays or something so I can get a better idea of how to actually run a game of it. Also >>45564815.
>>
>>45564825
4E and GURPS?
>>
FATAL gave us the "roll for anal circumference" meme.

40k is way too fucking expensive.
>>
It easy to find groups for dnd.

WoD attracts the worst people on the planet.
>>
>>45561016
>Say something that you like about a game that you hate
1e is a very good foundation to learn from
>Say something that you hate about a game that you love
[i]/tg quests are hiveminded so hard sometimes
>>
>>45561016
I like that Pathfinder seems a bit more tactical than standard D&D.
I hate that nobody ever fucking plays Rifts.
>>
>>45567687
>I hate that nobody ever fucking plays Rifts.
I think that it's an awful mess could be a factor in that.
Fingers crossed on the redo.
>>
>>45561016
>I played 5e today and had fun (forgive me, I was starved for anything in the area)

>The books in GURPS are so fucking poorly edited in the core, its not even funny
>>
>>45564075
>I don't like that Shadowrun is unpopular because retards always overlook something vital, get the team killed, and then blame the game for being too hard.

I'm sorry, what? People do that?
>>
>>45567856
I can see it happening if the player thought they were in pink mohawk and the GM was running black trenchcoat.

Or if the players didn't know how to Shadowrun and just held onto that corporate prototype they nicked.

Or if the GM was just a dickhole and violated the accepted rational for Shadowrunners to dick over the players.
>>
>>45561016
5e
Racial suptypes are cool.
3e
The way skill points are gained is unfixible.
>>
D&D in general: Warforged.

GURPS: no good preexisting settings. I'm an awful worldbuilder, but my usual GM doesn't want to try GURPS until he sees it work.
>>
>>45564487
>shitposting about editions in a thread about seeing the good in bad games.
>>
>>45564075
>I like that DnD hasn't managed to ruin the PnP scene completely, just 90% of it.

Cheap-ass cop-out bullshit answer.
Try again.
>>
I like that AD&D does so much to balance casters vs Martials

I hate how pathfinder had a bad rap in the online gaming world.
>>
>>45568701
It really doesnt.

It has a bad rap here, on this single board on one website. If the same people here posted on a forum with a decent community, they would be removed and their mouth foam would be sprayed out so they could move on to a better discussion.
>>
>>45561016
>PF
It's easy to find a game, I guess
>13th Age
There's not enough sourcebooks and official material
>>
>>45569589
>It has a bad rap here, on this single board on one website. If the same people here posted on a forum with a decent community, they would be removed and their mouth foam would be sprayed out so they could move on to a better discussion.
That's an issue with other forums rather than with us. We see shitty people and shitty business tactics selling a middling game and call a duck a duck.

Who is that guy who worked on PF that /tg/ hates? He's said some super retarded shit, but I can't remember his name. Anyway, you can't say "Jesus this is stupid. Who let this mook work on an RPG?" on other forums, because RPG devs are sacrosanct and it might hurt their poor wittle feewings or someshit.

Fuck that noise. I'll come here and lambaste PF at the same time as I enjoy playing it with friends, rather than submit to the requisite developer nutsack fondling that other forums have.
>>
>>45569812
>Who is that guy who worked on PF that /tg/ hates?
All of them.
>>
>>45569812
>ITS NOT US
>i...i swear!
>>
>>45561016

>Magic: The Gathering
The art is awesome.

>Eclipse Phase
There are three different skills for very similar guns.
>>
>>45561016
...at least EBay is kind of cheap!

I can't find it on EBay.
>>
>>45561016
The main thing I like about ADnD is that sometimes I want an old school style dungeon crawl. And it just feels wrong to do that in a system other than the original, and the stupid horribleness of one of the first rpgs is kind of charming.

The Fate core book is miserably written and takes forever to get the point. It is 10 times thicker than it needs to be. Also the art sucks.

I probably should say something about systems itself, so let's see.

I like the 0-level part if character creation of DCC.

I hate the crit chart in EotE. I like the concept, but in practice I think it's really shitty. I should get on making a homebrew one some time.
>>
>>45570077
I'm sorry, do you prefer forums where you can't voice a negative opinion on a product, even if it's justified, without having a mod crawl up your ass for polluting their positive environment with your hate speech? Because most other forums seem to think that negativity towards a product, company or dev means that you're some abomination who kicks puppies and will surely throw the rest of the forum into anarchy with your negativity.

I for one enjoy being able to see something that's fucking retarded and say of it, "holy shit guys, this is fucking retarded."
>>
I like that Fate can allow for very short sessions of prep, without having to worry about very specific statistics of every obstacle I plan on using.

The 5e players handbook was proofread and organized by a group of chimpanzees.
>>
3.5 had a lot of neat ideas, even if most of them didn't wind up getting much attention. I feel it's a pretty decent mine for concepts and ideas

GURPS is bad at attracting/keeping new players. If they marketed more (read:at all) and pushed dungeon fantasy a little more, I think it would get new players attention and give them a good starting point
>>
>>45561016
40k: the fluff, headcannon, and fanfiction are quite entertaining.

Malifaux: it is hard to get players because so many have sworn fealty to a particular God of randomizing numbers
>>
>>45567958
Just run DF in some other setting like Glorantha or Faerun or whatever. Actually, it works really really well with Eberron, if you don't mind jacking a D&D setting
>>
>>45561016
3.5e got me into tabletop and is pretty versatile

Mage is pretty annoying to run, dealing with Acanthus players.
>>
>>45561016
Munchkin was fun the first time. Also it's neat to see how they make new cards related to the source material for each version.

I don't like how there isn't any real interaction during other people's turn in King of Tokyo, if they'ren not in Tokyo you just have to sit there and hope they don't roll the 3.
>>
>>45570358
I'm actively avoiding fantasy settings.
>>
>>45567958
>no good preexisting settings
uwot
>>
>>45570078
Seconded on this one, MTG art is absolutely amazing, and I absolutely adore the flavor text.
>DND 5E
lack of customization is kind of blah
>>
>>45561016
I love the setting of Shadowrun, shame I can't stand the rules

Even with all of the customization in Mutants and Masterminds, most powers boil down to "Hit a guy" or "Inflict Status Effect" with just fluff differences between them
>>
Hearthstone is much cheaper than Magic.

Magic is retardedly expensive.
>>
>>45571480
Well you're in luck. Run transhuman space or infinite worlds
>>
I both hate and love Cthulhutech with all of my heart.
I loved the original setting and the game it could have been.
I hate everything about the execution of the rules and what the developers did to it.
>>
I like the building-blocky class crunch of 4e, I'd love to play it as a video game.

I don't like the weird, poorly-researched naming conventions in L5R.
>>
File: 1336808818758.png (139 KB, 424x470) Image search: [Google]
1336808818758.png
139 KB, 424x470
>>45561016
There are lots of games to join.

There are no games to join.
>>
>>45561016
Templates, Feats, and Alternate Class Features were good ideas marred by poor execution.

There are three different Qualities that involve detecting danger that all cost the same amount of points but very wildly in extent, requirements, and usefulness, with one being objectively garbage and another being valuetown.

>>45567958
GURPS has several pre-existing setting books. Almost a dozen of them. Just grab GURPS Fantasy II
>>
>>45561016
>Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Nobody fucking plays it, and it tends to attract special snowflake characters in that way only capeshit can.
>D&D 3.5
It allows for a lot of character options, and there's a shitton of third-party support.
>>
>>45565605
>>WoD attracts the worst people on the planet.

This is a phenomena I've never really understood. I've played D&D with plenty of fucking sperglords in my time, but I've never met a single WoD group I'd like to sit down and play a game with.
>>
>>45573304
It's because WoD began as the contrarian's alternative to D&D

>Playing as dungeon-delving murder-hobos? *I* play sophisticated Vampire games that deal with pathos and the Human Condition
>>
>>45573271
>almost a dozen
More like five dozens settings.
And then there's Transhuman Space, Traveller, WW2 and Dungeon Fantasy that all have several books.
>>
>>45561016
The Song of Ice and Fire RPG had the right idea with covering personal-scale combat, scheming, kingdom-building, and mass combat all in the core rules.

Hex-based personal scale combat is great in theory but a pain to map for GURPS.
>>
>>45561016
3.5 DnD had some really cool fluff pieces in books like Tome of Magic and Weaboo Fightin' Magic.

4e could really use a devil sourcebook like 3.5's Codex of the Nine Hells, and the fact that I have to dig up magazines to find material related to famous DnD villains like Levistus irritates me.
>>
>>45561016
>Say something that you like about a game that you hate.
Dragon's Age - My brother likes it and he's the best DM I've ever played with
>Say something that you hate about a game that you love.
5e - Vancian Magic.
They've introduced so many work-arounds and exceptions I don't understand why they don't just kill this sacred cow already and get it over with.
>>
GURPS books generally have very useful information that can be easily ported to other systems.

Savage Worlds can have some really wonky math if you actually sit down and scrutinize it.
>>
>>45561016
Mind Flayers.

Skill Pyramid.
>>
I really like the Crossroads mechanic in Dead of Winter, especially the ones that have stuff like "Read this card when another player coughs".

40k has some of the worst rulebook and codex designs ever. It's impossible to comprehend half the rules without finding other context online.
>>
Yugioh may be a bad game now, but it got me through a tough school life as a kid

Magic is turning into a second stock market with the secondhand market, and it's going to kill the game
>>
>>45561016
The crazy effects that RNG allows.

The name drove potential player away
>>
>>45577894
>implying it's not already killing the game
>>
It's really easy to learn.

No one plays it.
>>
RIFTs has an absurd setting that can be good for a non-serious game

They fucked up hard with replacing the economy system in Dark heresy with that awful requisition system
>>
>>45577946
What name?
>>
>>45578374
Not him, I'm guessing MAID.

It's a pretty fun game.
>>
>40k
Orks are fun, beakie helmets are cool, tau have nice robots and oldcrons were badass

>FantasyCraft
There is such a thing as too many subsystems and tables, Crafty Games.
>>
>>45561016
>DnD 3.5
There really are a million options. You can probably make some sort of cat-person Kobold assassin if you're really game. Pity about everything else.
>Dark Heresy
Clunky, clunky rules that I could go on and on about, but I think I'll just leave it at "Common Lore" being something you have to usually invest xp in. Just seems silly for everyone who's not a Feral.
>>
File: 1456024174582.jpg (363 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1456024174582.jpg
363 KB, 3264x1836
>>45561016
It has some of the best pantheon, named characters are interesting.

Swimming is an agility skill, settings "are different just because"
>>
The setting is nothing if not detailed, and the political dickery is fun.

It trades away a lot of customization for balance, and the mmo-ish feeling turned off a lot of the old players when the edition came out.
>>
>>45561016
I love WoD's dice pool mechanics and I think they're awesome.

I hate that 5E's classes are so self sufficient that there isn't any point to multiclassing other than a few specific munchkin combos. I also hate that they didn't give each class a unique feature that would make every class worthy of crossing with for different reasons.
>>
I like the little battleship

Fray is a very poor piece of design that's difficult to homerule out of existence
>>
>>45561016
dnd
I can make any adventure in a magical world full of cool shit
magic
Why the fuck do green and blue have so many ways to get the most important resources instead of having big dudes and counterspells.
>>
Can't really say I hate any game system.
At most, I guess I dislike the oWoD mechanics, but their lore was clearly more the work of passion than nWoD, which I appreciate.

I dislike how Fate doesn't come with a fleshed out example system (and maybe adventure) so people with low reading comprehension can see what it's supposed to be like.
>>
>>45578673

Actually, multiclassing is generally a good idea in 5th.
Rogue or Bard can give you extra skills and unique class abilities.
Barbarian can give you a little extra oomph with Rage.
Warlocks have invocations.

I mean, if you don't care about getting everything a class has, or combat effectiveness, multiclassing is fun.
>>
>>45561016
It has rules for everything, not good rules, but rules.

It will never be finished.
>>
>>45561016
Archetypes are cool and allow for all kinds of flavor.

Rifts is part of the umbrella, its the worst part of the system and a black mark that will live on forever.
>>
I love how specialized a lot of units and the Warcasters are in Warmachine, having unique abilities that activate and interact are cool and adds depth to the game.

Warhammer needs less random bullshit, it literally ruins the game. How can you 'forge the narrative' when you can't even build 'Your Dudes' the way you want? Random warlord traits, random psychic powers, random charge distances, random random random. Just fuck off already.
>>
>>45561016

>Pathfinder

Pathfinder archetypes are pretty cool and a clever idea that sidesteps the need for Prestige Classes and opens up a lot of potential customization.

>Exalted

Exalted 3e fixed absolutely nothing about the issues with Exalted; its still just as lethal, only on a delayed timer that makes combat drag on even longer (and holy shit was Exalted combat slow in 1e and 2e), but now you have to track multple different fiddly side mechanics (re-roll X, Y counts as Z, etc etc) heaped under tons and tons of player options, many of them still trap options, which only drives new players away even more than before.
>>
>>45576772
They tried that and everyone called them an MMO.
>>
>>45580812

A lot of it had to do with the formatting. Grognards are in love with vague, flowery language in their mechanical descriptions, even if it only leads to confusion.

Yet despite this 4e powers all had a little visual blurb in a separate column with that very same flowery prose..
>>
I found the entirety of 4E to be ambitious in how starkly different they made it in comparison to previous editions. Also, it's fun for what it is; new TRPG players seem to dig it, too.

Shadowrun's core rule book is fucking awful. Players absolutely refuse to learn all of their cool-ass shit simply because of how terribly organized it is.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.