[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magic Puzzles Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 14
File: olYnEW8.jpg (3 MB, 3000x3800) Image search: [Google]
olYnEW8.jpg
3 MB, 3000x3800
Okay /tg/. Everyone likes to say you're shit at Magic, but here's a chance to prove them wrong.

Also post other puzzles if you got 'em.
>>
You got me lad.
I'm stumped
>>
>>45557991
How could there possibly be an answer? The most you can deal is 3 damage
>>
Clearly, you don't play Children's card games.
>>
>>45557991
The answer in an actual Merfolk deck is "vial in image, copy adept, draw a lord, cast it, seas claim their nonbasic, swing for lethal"
>>
>>45557991
Best I can do is clear the Goyf and Redcaps and put opponent to 2 leaving me with Harbinger and 2/1 Image with Pong up against the Finks.

I can't find the lethal so I am curious.
>>
>>45557991
I think it's not possible to win in this turn.
>>
>>45557991
Hope my opponent draws and cracks a fetch so I can kill them in combat with image and pongify
>>
>>45557991

Is the answer No?

I think the answer is "No, you can not win."
>>
>>45558525
Op probably made the puzzle assuming you could persist image more than once
>>
>>45558565

I don't know if persist would trigger if you pognify the image but if it does, you come back with a -1/-1 counter
>>
Persuade opponent to scoop.
>>
>>45558592
Image never even gets Pongified, his ability kills himself (and persists) before the spell targetting him resolves.
>>
>>45558592
Right, but if you can only persist once, the most you can do is dome your opponent for 3 or remove two blockers
>>
>>45557991
So has OP abandoned his own thread in embarrassment after not knowing how cards work?
>>
>>45557991
Does this work?
>Sea's Claim -> Overgrown Tomb (for austerity's sake)
>Aether Vial -> Phantasmal Image -> Kitchen Finks
>Curiosity -> Kitchen Finks (Phantasmal Image)
>Phantasmal Image (Persist) - > Tarmogoyf (3/4)
>Attack with Silvergill Adept and Harbinger of Tides
Opponent will block optimally to win through combat next turn, and we have 3 Life.
>Dismember (Pay 2 Life) and Pongify the two blockers
>>
Actually, to get the opponent to block the way we want, would we have to Persist into Kitchen Finks for 5 Life?
>>
>>45557991
You just can't.

I can copy the finks to get the life to dismember the goyf and do that on his next turn while he swings and block the finks with something you pong to deny the life gain which means you win if he swung with everything.

You can't dismember without copying the finks, the copy of redcap can't persist and even if it could you don't achieve much, a copy of goyf is nice and you can pull similar ticks as above but nothing dies so you have to goyf yourself out of a pretty tight spot.
>>
>>45559378
You are either blocked by the ape or have already had one of your creatures blocked.
>>
I don't think you can win this turn. The best line I can see is:

>Vial in Image and copy finks, go up to 3
>Dismember Goyf with Grave and go back down to 1
>Curiosity our Finks, Illusion trigger, have it re-enter as Redcap (I'm not even sure if you can do this but we'll pretend it does)
>Shoot Redcap with Redcap
>Sea's Claim the Tomb to deny the maximum number of outs your opponent has

On their turn, assuming they draw dead and swing in:
>Wait for declare attackers
>Chump block Finks with Image (as Redcap), eat their other Redcap with Harbinger
>You are now free to attack for lethal with Adept and Harbinger next turn

If they don't swing in (mostly because they aren't retarded, two attackers vs three blockers)
>Get fucked, good thing you're drawing dead

If this isn't the "appropriate" answer then I'm not smart enough to see it
>>
You can't win this turn, but you can win the one after.
During his turn, vial in the Phantasmal Image, copying Finks, block one of the little shits with it.
Dismember for 2 life the Goyf, block the other little shit with Harbinger of Tides, block Finks with Adept, use Pongify on the Adept to avoid giving him life.

Swing back.
>>
>>45559645
I don't see how this isn't a correct answer
>>
>>45559693
Because OP, cocksuker that he is, said we had to win this turn.
>>
>>45559713
I think this is because this was a board state in one of his games, and the opponent drew into a burn spell, so he literally only had one turn
>>
>>45559713
OP is a retard until proven genius, the only way you can win this turn is to have Image copy Redcap and double shock them, which you can't do because it'll come back with a -1/-1 counter and therefore 1 power.

I'm sticking around to see if OP comes back and tells us how it's done, or if he's just being a whiny Merfolk bitchbabby because he wasn't gud enough to win target game.
>>
File: 1411415355803.jpg (7 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1411415355803.jpg
7 KB, 240x240
>>45557991
So Phantasmal Image a redcap and shoot your opponent for 2, target your Image with whatever, it gets sacrificed and then the redcap ability brings it back and it enters the battlefield yet again.

Do you then get the 1 damage redcap trigger AND the phantasmal image copy trigger to copy.

So PI the redcap, shoot opponent for 2. Target it with Curiosity, it gets sacced and goes to graveyard. Comes back, has the redcap and PI copy trigger. Copy the redcap and shoot your opponent for 2 again
>>
>>45559903
No, when Image changes zones it is no longer copying anything. So when it comes back, it has to choose something else to copy and enters the battlefield as that thing with a -1/-1 counter on it.
>>
>>45557991
phantasmal image the sea finks by using the Aether Vial in turn gaining 3 life, pay 2 life tap watery grave for a black and an island to kill tarm, enter battle phase attack with everything get 2 creatures blocked with the red shits and use pongify to kill one of the blocking creatures before damage resolves.

you win.
>>
>>45559935
So if you copy a finks or redcap and target it, it doesn't get the persist trigger when it dies and therefore it doesn't come back?

So to simplify my process. Play PI -> copy redcap shoot for 2 -> target PI and sac it -> persist brings it back -> PI re-enters battlefield -> Copy redcap shoot for 2 really won't work?

Do clones copy counters?
>>
>>45559979
It does come back since the creature it was copying had Persist when it died, but it doesn't come back as the creature because it loses that information when it changes zones by going from the battlefield to the graveyard. So the Persist trigger would take Phantasmal Image from the graveyard and put it onto the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter and you would have to choose something to copy as it enters.
>>
>>45559903
I'm 99.9% sure this wouldn't work. Redcap's Persist trigger would pull Image back from the yard and you can recopy something (which isn't a trigger btw, it's like Pithing Needle) but that something will have a -1/-1 counter on it.

>>45559946
This doesn't work, the only way damage would come over post-blocks is when a creature has Trample. You can Pongify post-blocks, pre-damage but your creature is still "blocked."

>>45559979
Once PI dies as a Redcap/Finks, its Persist trigger is on the stack and it's going to pull PI back from the graveyard and put a -1/-1 counter on it, regardless of what it chooses to copy. Normally PI wouldn't copy counters or anything, but the Persist trigger will put a -1/-1 counter onto the battlefield.
>>
Solution is easy and retarded. I think the key is in "he will block to have lethal next turn". You copy Redcap with the illusion, do 2 damage to the opponent, destroy your illusion, copy finks and go to 3, dismember the goyf, attack with both the merfolks. He will block only one because you are at one life with one blocker untapped, so he would need two creatures to kill you next turn. Too bad he died trying.
>>
>>45560616
Your solution works if like you say it's based on your opponent strictly adhering to that rule and not blocking to save his own life
>>
>>45560616
Why not copy the Finks first, then Persist into Goyf or another Finks?
>>
>>45560616
This works if, and only if, your opponent is retarded
>>
Wouldn't Pongifying the Phantasmal Image cause its sac clause to trigger, making it ineligible for Persist?
Or does it get haste from somewhere?
>>
>>45562350
When you sacrifice a creature, that creature dies as long as it goes to the graveyard. So persist does trigger off PI's effect.
>>
>vial in PI, copying redcap
>etb trigger, kill first redcap
>play pongify, targeting PI
>sac PI due to being targeted
>persist trigger
>return PI as copy of second redcap
>etb trigger, kill second redcap
>dismember goyf
>swing

Does this work?
>>
>>45563644
Where are you getting the life to pay for Dismember?
>>
>>45563644
You have no life to dismember the goyf
>>
>>45563742
>>45563750
Whoops, I'm an idiot. One black source...
>>
>>45557991
Use the vial to bring in your image as the Ouphe, giving you 2 life. You use the two life (and 1B) to cast Dismember to take out the Goyf. You cast Pongify on your ImageGoyf, causing you to sac it. It dies but comes back with a -1/-1 counter. You have it enter as a Redcap and you use its ETB ability to kill one of the other redcaps.

Next turn the other guy will only have one redcap and his Ouphe to attack with, which you can block with your ImageCap (so Ouphe doesn't die) and Pong (killing).

He cant block all your shit even if he chooses not to attack, so you win.

>But can you win THIS TURN

No, I don't see how.
>>
>>45557991
Can't you just vial in a phantasmal image, then play your phantasmal image to deal 4 to the opponent? Or are we just running 1 phantasmal image?
>>
>>45557991
>AE the PI
>PI a red cap doing 2 damage to a cap
>Pongify PI
>PI gets a -1/-1 and comes back as a Redcap to deal 1 damage to the other cap with ETB
>PI ETB triggers and change it to a Finks with a -1/-1 still on it
>Gain life
>Dismember Goyf
>Swing for win
>>
>>45564167
>in hand
>draw is dead

It doesn't matter how many he run's in his deck for this instance. He has one Phantasmal image period.
>>
File: 1452125412729.png (41 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
1452125412729.png
41 KB, 128x128
>>45564233
>PI gets a -1/-1 and comes back as a Redcap to deal 1 damage to the other cap with ETB
>PI ETB triggers and change it to a Finks with a -1/-1 still on it
>>
File: mfw.png (76 KB, 208x238) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
76 KB, 208x238
>>45564233
>ETB twice on one persist resolve
>damage ETB require ETB ability that it no longer has, after changing zones

are you trying to look stupid?
>>
>>45564273
To put it more clearly you deal two damage with original PI Redcap ETB to enemy cap, Pongify PI, PI now has two ETBs that you determine the order of so you have it come back as a -1/-1 redcap to kill the last redcap and then use the PI clone ETB to make it a kitchen finks that still has a -1/-1 counter. With that life you dismember goyf and swing for win. Does that not work?
>>
>>45564347
Phantasmal Image does not have a ETB triggered ability.
>>
>>45564347
>PI now has two ETBs
NO IT DOESN'T
PI ISN"T A COPY OF REDCAP AFTER IT DIES
EVEN IF IT WAS IT WOULDN'T"T ENTER THE BATTLEFIELD AS RECAP
>>
>>45560616
I had been interpreting
>block optimally to win through combat next turn.
as prioritizing getting to the next turn over being able to swing for lethal, but that interpretation seems to be the only way to allow a solution,.
also, see >>45560880
>>
>>45564347
To put it more clearly, you are a fucking retard.
>>
>>45564347
Phantasmal Image doesn't have two ETB effects, it has zero.
What it does have is an effect that alters HOW it enters the battlefield, including possibly giving it an ETB.
It can either ETB as a Redcap and deal damage, or it can ETB as a Finks and heal you.
Even if it did have two ETBs, they'd both trigger (in your chosen order) from the same condition (entering the battlefield), then a non-zero amount of time would pass before the effects would resolve in the opposite order they triggered in.
By that time, the Image would already be on the battlefield, so any ETB effects it got after that wouldn't trigger unless it were flashed.

You fucking newfag.
>>
File: 1454539725098.jpg (21 KB, 640x334) Image search: [Google]
1454539725098.jpg
21 KB, 640x334
I know a little off topic, but what is the combo with Splendid Genesis that kills everyone in Earth? Anyone remember what I'm talking about? Can't find it anywhere I look.
>>
>>45565704
How do you even kill everyone if there's a limited amount of cards?
>>
>>45559571
Pretty much the conclusion I came to

I'd Sea Clam the tomb and pass my turn

We're dead if our opponent draws a bolt

Opponent swings with everything for the win
(worst case he holds back a redcap)

vial in PI copying finks
block redcap#1 with Image(Finks)
block redcap#2 with Harbinger
block Finks with Adept
after blocks declared, before damage
pongify the adept get a 3/3 finks doesn't die
dismember the goyf

On our turn our opponent ends up with a tapped kitchen finks and 4 life on with one card in hand

we have a Harbinger, a 3/3 beast, and a 3/2 Finks and 1 life with a curiosity(could gain another 2 life at the cost of making our PI a 2/1) and 1 dead draw
>>
>>45557991
Vial Image
Copy Redcap
Deal 2 damage to opponent
Pongify the Image, sacrifice it
Persist, copy Redcap again
Deal 2 to opponent

GG noRE
>>
>>45567184
>persist
>redcap ETB is reduced by 1

GG you REtard

If redcap functioned your way it would be broken
>>
>>45557991
Late to thread but here's my solution before looking at answers

>Vial image, copy finks go to 3
>Dismember goyf using 1B and 2 life
>Curiosity your image and copy harbinger, bouncing a redcap
>Attack with silvergill and harbinger
>He must block, pongify your image before damage
>Copy redcap and shock opponent
>Your unblocked creature does lethal
>>
>>45567494
Disregard, I'm retarded
>>
>>45557991
You can't win per se, but you can stay alive
>>
Vial in the Image, targeting Finks - gain 2. (now at 3), with U/B UUUU available.
Dismember the Goyf, paying 2 life (now at 1) with UUU available.
Curiosity your image, sac trigger, persist trigger, copy redcap to shoot redcap, UU remaining.
Rapid hybridize your image, sac trigger, persist trigger, copy redcap to shoot redcap, U remaining.

Opponent has no blockers left, swing for 4.
>>
>>45569359
How are you getting rid of the -1/1 counter from the first persist trigger?
>>
>>45557991
>dismember goyf for full mana
>aether vial in image as a copy of redcap, shoot redcap #1
>cast curiosity targeting image, it dies
>persist trigger, image returns as a copy of redcap (with a -1/-1 counter)
>redcap trigger kills other redcap
>swing for lethal with no blockers
>>
>>45569785
and where is that second black mana coming from?

why are retards posting half-baked solutions that have already been blow out of the water?
>>
File: 1443934747770.jpg (348 KB, 710x918) Image search: [Google]
1443934747770.jpg
348 KB, 710x918
>>45569836
d'oh! I forgot dismember has a colored mana component to it! back to the old drawing board!
>>
So, since this puzzle is unsolvable by anyone who knows how persist works, does anyone have an actual puzzle?
>>
I slip in the cheatyface i had in my pocket.
>>
>>45569957
Cheatyface doesn't have haste.
>>
File: 1331833865817.jpg (15 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1331833865817.jpg
15 KB, 200x200
>>45570042
>>
>>45557991

> use aether vial for phantasmal image as a copy of murderous redcap, dealing 2 damage to opponent. (Life total = 2)

>curiosity phantasmal image. Persist triggers and phantasmal image returns (no longer redcap as this information is not maintained between states). Choose kitchen finks as new phantasmal image. (my life total = 3)

> dismember tamogoyf, paying 1 phyrexian mana (my life total back to 1)

> Swing with silvergill and harbinger. He blocks with redcaps. pongify one redcap. 2 damage is not blocked, bringing his life total to 0.

You can also win by bringing back finks first and then using phantasmal redcap on a redcap - this gives you 4 unblocked combat damage after pongify.
>>
>>45557991
my turn
Image kitchen finks with aether vial
dstroy your new kitchen finks with pongify.
get new kitchen finks and ape. now have 5 life.
spend 1black 1 blue 2 life to dismember goyf.
attack with harbinger and silvergill. Both are blocked. silvergill dead, no redcaps or goyf

opponents turn
block kitchen finks with mine. opponent is at 6 life and i'm at 3.

my turn
attack with ape.

opponent
block his kitchen finks with harbinger

my turn
attack with ape
>>
There is no way to win on that present turn unless you can start on your opponents End Phase so you can gain an additional attacker.
>>
>>45570390
>He blocks with redcaps. pongify one redcap. 2 damage is not blocked
Thats not how it works
Nice try 3/10

>>45570506
OP specified this turn, supposedly because if opponent draws ANY burn he wins, but your suggestion requires several turns, which results in multiple draws for them, where he explicitly says all your draw is dead

Why is /tg/ so bad at MTG
Why is /tg/ so bad are READING THE FUCKING THREAD?
>>
>>45570942

>He blocks with redcaps. pongify one redcap. 2 damage is not blocked

My bad, used to work like that back when I last played (back when mana burn was a thing, rules have changed). I see now there is 509h to stop this.

In that case, no one turn wins are available as far as I can see.
>>
>>45570506
That's not how pongify and phantasmal image works
>>
>>45570942
I blame OP for baiting us with an unsolvable puzzle

He probably didn't know how persist works and is too embarrassed to tell us what he was thinking
>>
>>45569957
Cheatyface's ability doesn't work from outside of the game.
They would have to be in your hand.
>>
File: SU_1.jpg (883 KB, 1656x1377) Image search: [Google]
SU_1.jpg
883 KB, 1656x1377
>>
>>45559946

Blocked creatures don't deal damage

Also: You CANNOT win the next turn because you'll draw dead. All you guys who wanna wait for the following turn are retards.
>>
>>45573243
See now this seems solvable even if I can't work it out and it's well put together a few red herrings that seem to be leading somewhere.

I think the solution involves stealing the horror to tap the flying one when it dies and putting counters on one of the Flyers but I don't know how to finish.
>>
>>45573243
So you...
>(0. Tap Nantuko Phantom for +1/+1)
Not sure this works.
>1. Hysterical Blindness
>2. Summon Spawnbroker, trade (tapped?) Phantom for (now full strength) Dread Reaper
>3. Swing with (some? All? I'm not good with combat)
>4. In response to blockers being declared, Fate Exchange Phantom's tokens onto whatever needs it (Either whatever the Djinn blocks, or whatever gets through if it would kill)
>5. If he isn't dead yet, hope you draw a forest to crush him even more.
>>
File: SU_1.jpg (881 KB, 1656x1377) Image search: [Google]
SU_1.jpg
881 KB, 1656x1377
>>45574004
>>45575039
PS I dont actually know the answer youll have to wait until tomorrow.
>>
>>45557991
This is actually pretty easy.
>"...and will block optimally to win through combat next turn"
This means he will block in such a way as to ensure that he has enough attackers left alive to do the job: in other words HE WILL NOT BLOCK WITH THE REDCAPS because he doesn't know for sure that you can't pull more blockers out of your ass during the second mainphase (or even during his own turn because you've got Aether Vial sitting there looking sexy).

Again, HE WILL EAT 2 DAMAGE WHEN YOU ATTACK.

So:
>Step 1- Attack with both Silvergill and Harbinger. He will block one of them with Tarm and let the other one through, and he takes 2 damage.
>Step 2- Summon Image as a Redcap, it deals 2 damage to the opponent and he fucking dies.

What do I win?
>>
>>45557991
The best play I can find is aether vial the image on their finks, go to 3 life, pongify it return to battlefield as a tarmogoyf, dismember their tarmogoyf back to 1 life. Swing with my fish, get in for 2 when he blocks the adept, pass turn
I have a 3/4 and a 3/3 to block his one redcap and his finks. His best play is to swing with finks, I block with my 3/4, his fnks undies he goes back to 4 life off finks trigger.
On my turn I swing with the 2/2 and the 3/3 (with curiosity), he has to block one, so he trades the finks for the harbinger and goes to 1 life with just a 1/1
He can't swing through my 3/4, next turn I swing with the 3/3 and the 3/4 to kill him

Assuming he draws as dead as I do as per stipulation
>>
I'm pretty sure OP edited the puzzle to fuck with us. I'm sure in the original you start on your opponent's end phase and Sea's Claim would be your draw. SC is awkwardly overlapping the border for no reason.
>>
>>45573243
1. Tap Nantuko For +1/+1
2. Spawnbroker, Exchange Nantuko for Krovikan Horror, You now have 6 mana left.
3. Sac Spawnbroker and shoot the efreet for 1. You have 5 mana left.
4. Faces of the past taps all humans, Rashka gets tapped.
5. Sac symbiotic elf, shoot efreet for 1 more, you now have 4 mana left.
6. You get 2 insects. and untap a bunch of elves (meaningless)
7. Sac an insect, kill Efreet. 3 Mana left
8. Sac Krovikan Horror, deal 1 damage to opponent, 2 mana left, tap Dread Reaper.
9. Discard Krosan Groundshaker to Putrid imp, it gets flying and has threshold.
10. Fate Transfer From Nantuko to Nephalia Seakite.
11. Attack with a 2/2 flyer and a 5/6 flyer and set your opponent to -1 life.
>>
>>45577308
pretty sure some variation of this is the answer. It was worded too specifically for that not to be the key
>>
>>45578204
>Have a 3/3 to block
That's not how that works
>>
>>45577308
>he doesn't know for sure that you can't pull more blockers out of your ass during the second mainphase
And he would be 100% correct too: on his turn (even after he's declared attackers for that matter) you can do AetherVial->Image(Finks)->Dismember to take out his Goyf, Pongify the Image, bring it back as a redcap (killing one of his redcaps in the process) allowing you to block his Finks with your redcap and his redcap with your Pong, killing both redcaps and leaving you with one of your merfolk and your Pong to kill him with on the next turn.

So this appears to be correct: as long as he thinks he's only taking two damage from the attack, we won't block with his redcaps because he knows he needs them. The way to win THIS TURN is to make him CHOOSE to eat two damage in combat and then follow with ImageCap damage, because THAT'S what the puzzle SAYS he will do.

He expects you will be able to cheat out creatures, but what he doesn't expect is the burn you get from ImageCap.
>>
>>45578948
where are you getting the sac effect?
>>
>>45557991
Alright, so I got this
>Aether Vials Phantasmal Image as Kitchen Finks
>Dismember Tarmagoyf by paying 2 life, 1 black and 1 colorless
>Attack with Harbinger of the Tides (Either 2 damage, 1 less Murderous Redcap and you still have harbinger, or he double-blocks.)
>Enchant Enchant Overgrown Tomb with sea's claim to screw his black mana and mess with his black removal

>He untaps with either (1 Goblin, 2 goblin and 2 life, or no goblin) + Kitchen Finks
>He drew jack, so he goes to combat. He attacks you with Kitchen Finks and the goblins (or lack thereof). With no goblins, you block his finks with your Silvergill Adept, then destroy your own silvergill adept with a Pongify you prevent the damage of finks, without killing it and giving health to him, while stabilizing at 1 health, and having a grand total of 6 to 8 power against 0 to 2 blockers.
>>
>>45576368
this seems very simple

>upkeep, flame seal ETB
>Fall of hte mighty targeting raiding party
>whirlwind and air servant and burning earth die
>swing out
>sack flame seal to kill fallowsage
>1+2+3+2 = 8 damage, sack blockbuster to deal 3 more
>>
>>45580482
If you pong your Phantasmal Image, you don't get the 3/3
>>
>>45557991
>dismember to kill tarmogoyf
>redcaps are 1/1 with -1/-1 counters so they are dead?
>field is clear, so attack and win

Too easy
>>
>>45582379
Redcaps are 2/2s with -1/-1 counters on them, therefore making them 1/1s
>>
>>45582379
Now you're just being stupid on purpose.
>>
File: Krovikan Horror.jpg (197 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Krovikan Horror.jpg
197 KB, 480x680
>>45580583
>>
>>45557991
Question about those goblins that get -1/-1 counters - I was told that when a creature goes to 0 toughness it dies, so shouldn't those goblins just return to the field then immediately to the graveyard?
>>
File: Murderous Redcap.jpg (192 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Murderous Redcap.jpg
192 KB, 480x680
>>45582665
The Murderous Redcaps are 2/2s that are at 1/1 because of their counters.
> so shouldn't those goblins just return to the field then immediately to the graveyard?
They won't return to the battlefield if they died while a -1/-1 counter was on them.
>>
>>45582783
ah that's my bad, I thought they were 1/1s with a -1/-1 counter on them
>>
>>45580997
the answer:
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/seanuy-021616-old-artists-never-die/
>>
>>45582974
>http://www.gatheringmagic.com/seanuy-021616-old-artists-never-die/
Interesting, though I believe my method still works just fine
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3800x3800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3800x3800
>>45557991
Op is a faggot

Posted on Reddit that he made a mistake and the revised puzzle is pic related
>>
>>45559946
You're retarded
>>
>>45583602
Well this is still peeling my brain apart
>>
>>45583602
This is also impossible You don't have enough mana to cast everything and you need to cast everything except curiosity, there's an eternal witness and no yard to target. Dismember requires a PI trigger on finks which means you can't redcap to dome for the lethal damage
>>
>>45584218
>Dismember requires a PI trigger on finks
No it doesn't.
>>
>>45580980
the question was "can you win this turn?"
>>
>>45584254
so, vial in PI, redcap their face for 2
Float black, entwine dream's grip to tap a redcap and untap the second black, tap again and a U, dismember goyf, curiosity on PI to get a second recap trigger to kill the surviving blocker
play the one lord you can, hit for 3 which is lethal
>>
>>45564347
Of course it doesn't, it would die from having 0 toughness if its copying were a trigger.
>>
>>45584349
Winner.
>>
>>45573100
So MaRo says, but as we all know, MaRo is a retard and needs to fuck off.
>>
>>45584349
finally
thread over, everyone can go home now
>>
>>45584400
twiddling your land for mana fixing is such a niche play it's absurd
>>
>>45571056
It has NEVER EVER worked like that.
EVER.
Not even since fucking ALPHA did it work like that
Damage went on the stack but it didn't get assigned to someone else entirely.
You just always sucked at the game.
>>
>>45583602
Vial in Lord of Atlantis, Dream's Grip Entwined to vial in Image on EWitness and tap a redcap, down to 4 U, 1 U/B in Mana, grab Dream's Grip with Image and cast it on other Redcap and Vial, Vial in Lord #2, down to U/B and UU,
Curiousity on Image to ping opp. for 1 won't work, neither will removing Goyf with Dismember by copying Finks

Problem is, I need 1 more damage to win. I can only get him to 1.
I need Image to remove 2 blockers when cast, but I don't see it happening in any way.

There is no possible way I can force him to not block, because it would be absolutely monstrously retarded of him to block with 3 Finks, EWit, Goyf and 2 Redcaps on the field. If the question hinges on that, it's a shit question. If it doesn't, I don't see how it works.
>>
>>45584645
>>45584349
Shit, I thought about untapping for Dream's Grip on Watery Grave but discounted it because I forgot that I could ping for 2 instead of 1 and only needed one Lord of Atlantis
Good show
>>
>>45584413
>>45584349
>>45583602
The worst thing about this puzzle is that there is no possible way to haven gotten to this state in the game.
With all of those tapped creatures, did your opponent attack last turn? Why did he not attack with the goyf as well, unless he played it that turn, but what then did he use the rest of his mana on?
How have you not either used your loa earlier, or dismembered his goy earlier?
The chance to get to the puzzle situation is just horribly hard. And then again the puzzle isn't even that hard once you figure out that you need to fix with Dream's grip.
>>
>>45584645
answer was posted >>45584349
dismember kills 1 blocker, redcap ping kills the other, and dream's grip taps down the third. One lord and a shock from the PI (which is redcap) is lethal.
>>
>>45573243
I think I see the trick.

>Discard Groundshaker to Imp.
>cast hysterical blindness
>cast spawnbroker, trading SPAWNBROKER for Horror.
>Sac elf to horror, killing Spawnbroker.
You now have 7 cards in graveyard, and faces of the past taps Rashka.

Tap nantuko, sac insect to untap nantuko, dealing 1 to horror. Repeat, killing horror to tap reaper.

Ugh. But you've spent all your mana to tap two of his creatures and kill one. And you need two more mana to get the last tap of the nantuko to turn whichever creature ISN'T blocked into a 7/X.

So My solution stalls out because it can't get the last two mana to kill him.
>>
>>45578948
This looks right.
>>
File: perfectly normal island.png (95 KB, 446x620) Image search: [Google]
perfectly normal island.png
95 KB, 446x620
>>45573100
that goes against the spirit of cheatyface
>>
>>45573243
Tap Phantom, switch the krovikan horror with the phantom with the spawnbroker, sac the spawnbroker and the horror to deal two to the opponent while tapping down the reaper and the slayer from the enchantment, discard the groundshaker, turning on threshold.
Swing with the two flyers and use fate transfer on the unblocked creature and the phantom to deal exactly 7, although you could sacrifice 1 more before the sacing of the horror for shits and giggles to mark 1 damage on the efreet.
>>
>>45583602
T: Vial -> Phantasmal Image targeting Redcap
Redcap Trigger targeting Redcap 1 (1/3 Creatures are not able to be a blocker)
6 Islands 1 Watery Grave untapped.

Tap an island for Curiosity targeting Phantasmal Image
Phantasmal Image Persist trigger, comes back, make into second Redcap, kill second redcap (2/3 creatures are not able to be a blocker)
1 Watery Grave and 5 Islands untapped.

Tap 2 Mana for Lord of Atlantis (One creature remains)
1 Watery Grave 3 Islands untapped.

Tap 2 Mana for the second Lord of Atlantis (One creature remains)
1 Watery Grave 1 Islands untapped.
[11:25:43 PM] Papa Bear: Dream Grip entwine targeting Tarmogoyf to be tapped, untap Image, persist trigger activated and Phantasmal Image copying Lord of Atlantis (No creatures can block)
Dismember is still in hand, 0 mana untapped, swing 5. The Dismember is a trap.
>>
>>45557991
Both the murderous redcaps die immediately, since they're 1/1's with -1/-1 counters on them. Dismember the goyf.

swing for 4.

Unless OP has already taken the -1/-1 from the Redcaps, which would be fucking retarded.
>>
>>45589995
>Phantasmal Image copying Lord of Atlantis

You only get to copy two things since the first persist trigger gives the image a -1/-1 counter when it comes into play.
>>
>>45557991
>>45589995
Me again

Same play of Vial in Image copy Redcap, to kill the first redcap.
4 Islands and a Watery Grave untapped

Curiosity your Redcap, persist trigger, copy second Redcap. Only Tarmogoyf left as a blocker. 1 Watery Grave and 3 Islands untapped.

Pongify Image, persist trigger, copy Kitchen Finks go to 3 Life. 1 Watery Grave, 2 Islands up.

Dismember Goyf, swing in.
>>
>>45590134
Well, that's my understanding of Persist/Clone effects, either way I'd call a judge about it before I'd do anything to make sure I understand it. But if that's what it is, then I sincerely don't think it's possible.
>>
>>45590227
>Well, that's my understanding of Persist/Clone effects
This is no excuse
Read the reminder text

The persist effect is only put on the stack if the dieing creature has no -1/-1 counters on it, so effectively only works once unless you clear the -1/-1 counter

Why is /tg/ so fucking bad at mtg to the point of using "muh understanding" to try to justify not even reading the fucking card?
>>
File: 33leays.jpg (20 KB, 540x364) Image search: [Google]
33leays.jpg
20 KB, 540x364
>>45583602
Holy shit guys its not that hard
Dream's Grip plays a big part in winning this
Ok, so lets evaluate this state
We have 7 untapped mana, and need to do 5 damage.
1) We Vial in the Image, copying Redcap, dealing 2 to his dome
2) We float a black so we have B in our pool
3) We use two Islands to cast Dream Grip, tapping down a redcap, and untapping our Grave, this gives us B floating and 5 untapped lands, one of which being the grave.
4) We tap the grave for a black and an Island, and cast dismember on Goyfman, giving him only one more blocker. So now we have 3 more untapped Islands
5) We cast Curiosity on our Image, it re-enters the battlefield as E-witness with a -1/-1 counter, grabbing back our good friend Dream's Grip
6) We then use our last two islands to entwine good ol grip, tapping his last blocker and untapping Vial
7) We vial in Lord and swing for 3, which he is at because we did two to his dome thanks to Redcap.
Not hard you fucking faggots.
>>
>>45583602
Vial Image copying Redcap, 2 to dome.
Curiosity on Image, return it copying Witness. Dies to SBA before trigger goes on the stack, return Image.
Cast Image copying Redcap, 2 to dome.
Grip on Image, return as Redcap, 1 to dome.

GG NO RE
>>
>>45590775
looks like you got out played
by
>>45590969
>>
>>45591027
True
but I've always liked doing things the hard way
>>
>>45590969
lol you could extend this for every spell you have that targets

play image(redcap), 2 to dome
target image with anything
persist triggers, image(witness), SBA image dies, return self from graveyard to hand
rinse & repeat

I think you can get 7 damage out of it

vial, 2 damage
entwine dreams grip, tap(target) image, untap vial, witness shenanigan to hand
vial, 2 damage
curiosity, witness shenanigan to hand
hardcast, 2 damage
swing with Image (either way results in 1 damage, combat damage, or persist trigger), 1 damage

only use 5 mana
>>
>>45557991
There's no nice way to say this, OP, but you're a cockmongling dickhead.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.