[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good CCGs (video games included) that aren't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 16
Are there any good CCGs (video games included) that aren't Magic clones?
>>
>>45537704
None that are still alive
>>
>>45537704
Hearthstone is ok

Yugioh is ok if you like degenerate combos and getting your deck banned frequently (some people like switching up decks)
>>
File: Sundowner.jpg (24 KB, 290x309) Image search: [Google]
Sundowner.jpg
24 KB, 290x309
>>45537782
>Hearthstone is ok

>that aren't Magic clones?
>>
>>45537822
if you don't see the massive differences between HS and MTG then you're shit at card games and you should never pick any of them up
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 225x225
Netrunner
>>
>>45537704
No, because L5R is kill and Magic has "touching cards" as IP and got a whole box of lawyers for Christmas.

Netrunner is cool.
>>
>>45537704
netrunner. the fact that you can buy complete sets now makes it better in fact.
>>
>>45537822
I think you meant

>Hearthstone
>Good
>>
>>45538291
>le LCG is better meme
>>
>>45538105
the only similarity MtG has to Netrunner is that Richard Garfield made them
>>
>>45538541
well collecting cards is kind of a joke, turns it into a money game
>>
>>45537704
the spoils maybe? it does have some similarities,but i would say it's different enough not to call it a clone, try reading the starter rules to make your own conclusion

http://thespoilscardgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Basic-Rules-2.5.pdf
>>
>>45540504
I can't think of a game more dead out of the gate than Spoils. Too bad too, it had a cool aesthetic (I would describe it as Ravnica + Divine Divinity)
>>
File: 14104342846234.png (49 KB, 167x179) Image search: [Google]
14104342846234.png
49 KB, 167x179
>>45537704
>that aren't Magic clones?
wew lad
>>
File: Triple-Triad-FFVIII.png (152 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
Triple-Triad-FFVIII.png
152 KB, 480x320
>>45542192
Oh wait, I though of one: Triple Triad from Final Fantasy VIII.
>>
>>45537704

The Marvel VS system CCG(there's a DS and PSP vidya version.) Supposedly the game got rebooted as an LCG as well.

Legend of the Five rings and Doomtown are fun too.
>>
>>45543801
Marvel owns VS System now?

Can I actually get someone to play with, if I pull out my old Street Fighter deck?
>>
>>45546480

No the VS system is owned by Upper Deck. Game is being rebooted as an LCG though.

>Can I actually get someone to play with, if I pull out my old Street Fighter deck?

VS system was only Marvel and DC stuff. You may be thinking of UFS(Universal Fighting System)
>>
>>45546978
Oh balls.
Yeah, you're exactly right.
Now I'm sad.
>>
>>45547238
it's not a CCG but Yomi is a great fighting game turned card game.
>>
>>45537704
Kingdom hearts card game
>>
>>45541622
The Spoils was actually doing pretty damn well for itself at my LGS in Hampton Roads until the company went over due to its retarded financial setups. Literally wiped out by bad management.

I wonder if anything ever happened with the Arcane Tinmen version.
>>
File: METW Alatar.jpg (49 KB, 383x506) Image search: [Google]
METW Alatar.jpg
49 KB, 383x506
>>45537704

METW is awesome, but it's

A) super complicated, almost more of a strategy game with cards than a "true" CCG

B) Dead as fuck. I haven't played a game in literally years, and the most recent one was against my brother where I lent him cards of mine to build a deck.
>>
>>45537704
I have played a LOT of card games for the sake of research and personal enjoyment, I wish to make a card game sometime in the future so I play a lot of things I get my hands on regardless of series or what it's based on (hence why you'll see MLP on here) all of these are not like MTG

Shaman King (including POTC and avatar the last airbender who are compatible to the quick strike system)
Yugioh
animayhem
digimon (all versions)
Berserk (yes there was a berserk card game in japan)
pokemon (duh)
the card series known as UFS (universal fighting system) that has series such as Street Fighter, Mega Man, Soul Caliber, King of fighters, Tekken and Darkstalkers compatible to each other. It's still active and the Mega Man expansion is the newest set that came out.It's a little complex at first but you get the hang of it eventually.
Dragon Ball Z card game (new and old version)
MLP (I'm so sorry, but you asked)
Kingdom Hearts
One Piece
.hack//ENEMY
Adventure Time Card wars (the most broken card game you'll ever play in your life)
Bioncile trading card game
Harry Potter (despite what it looks like, it runs things quite different from mg or pokemon and has a lot more diversity in comparison to pokemon.)
Yuyu Haskusho
Ben 10 (i felt like mentioning this because it's so simplistic it's almost amazing how this got approved to be a thing. Im mentioning it because the system is a lot different than the others listed, not by any means good imo but this is all opinion based)
Net Runner
Call of Cthulu
Initial D (a very interesting take on racing in a card game format)
Dr Who (it's...it's a thing)
Sailor Moon (pretty much like pokemon)
Nightmare Before Christmas (another game that had ideas but didnt really know what the hell they were doing.)
VS system

There's also a card game that was either recently funded or just about to be called Control: A Strategic Card Game, definitely isnt anything like magic and seems to be promising. I recommend checking them out.

Gundam War
>>
Duelyst maybe?
>>
>>45537782
>Hearthstone
I'm pretty sure the only thing Hearthstone is ok for is as a sleep aide.
>>
>>45538541
But it is, you fucking retard.
>>
So, I didn't play any of these games but I heard Netrunner is alive (at least, it gets played somewhere) really good and a lot different from magic. Everything else is either a clone, completly retarded or dead.
>>
There's also vidya Duelyst, where the action takes place on a 5x9 HoMM style tactical grid.
>>
>>45542409
>>45537704
Lords of War is one of my favourites. It bears a rough similarity to Triple Triad
>>
>>45537704
the only good ccg that is like magic is magic.
>>
>>45537704
Netrunner asymmetric game, with sweet rules, interesting setting, and engaging gameplay. No way for something equivalent to mana-block/flood to happen.

Wh40k conquest - highly strategic game, with relatively balanced factions(except Bloody kith and eldorath, fuck them). No way to respond, or combo(you have to wait for card to fully resolve, with few exceptions) your cards makes for interesting gameplay. Equivalent to mana flood/block happens only if you fuck up.

Vidya:
Duelyst - turn based tactical game, you build a deck and try to kill enemy general. You have creatures, spells, and artifacts that boost your general.
Pretty strategic card game, you draw 2 cards and end of turn, and can mulligan one card per turn.
You can summon only in adjacent space to your friendly unit.

Feels like hearthstone meets go made by good game designer group.
>>
>>45554154
Both card games are alive in here.
Conquest gets weekly tournaments, although some players were stolen by X-wing minis.

Android netrunner has group of dedicated players gathering at least twice per week.

Still - X-wing minis gathers the biggest crowd. Bigger than mtg.
Heck - tournaments take at least 2 days.
>>
>>45554028
>Magic
>good
Wew
Unless you're playing Legacy, Magic is a can of shit.
>>
Spectromancer
>>
File: I-win-the-card.png (277 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
I-win-the-card.png
277 KB, 320x480
>no mention of Mabinogi duel

oh well more ¿fun? for me
>>
>>45541622
>>45549487
Wiat. the spoils is dead? aw poop.
>>
I like Doomtown reloaded.

We also have cuet girls
>>
>>45538199
>Magic has "touching cards" as IP
what does that even mean
>>
Can Ashes be considered an alternative?
>>
>>45557400
Ashes is great, but it is pretty similar to Magic.
>>
>>45557465
That's the word, "similar". enough for OP do not consider it a clone
>>
>>45538754
And they are both bad and over rated.
>>
>>45552439
There's a hell of a lot of weird ones on here, any obscure ones you'd recommend?
>>
>>45552439
I'd actually heard that the MLP card game of all things was solid and relatively unique, so I can't fault you for pointing it out if it's good (I care more about whether it's a good game than I care about whether or not it has a stigma, though I fear the kind of people that might actually play it these days)

Initial D sounds interesting, I have had my own ideas for a racing card game and will have to see how it works

>>45554199
X-Wing minis sounds neato, incidentally is that Battleship: Space Edition go anywhere? I think it was by the Heroscape guy and it looked promising.

>>45556262
think he's joking about how Wizards somehow managed to patent a game mechanic (tapping).
>>
File: Department of Rejections.full.jpg (138 KB, 400x560) Image search: [Google]
Department of Rejections.full.jpg
138 KB, 400x560
>>45549487
Spoils was fucking awesome, even with some of its artwork being hit-or-miss. It fixed a lot of Magic's problems. It felt like Magic v2.0
>>
>>45564870
what are the chances for a "reboot" or a rescue of the game? or this is the end?
>>
>>45537704
Wixoss is pretty good, if you can stand the anime girl art and parasitic interactions.
But for the most part, see >>45537764
>>
>>45566447
Unfortunately, the end happened a while ago. It was a game that was so far beyond what Magic will ever be but managed by complete asshats.
>>
>>45555777

>Playing an AEG game

When will they learn
>>
>>45567985
Explain.
>>
>>45568621

AEG is a company of retards who run every card game they have ever touched into the ground.
>>
File: WX11-022.jpg (161 KB, 573x886) Image search: [Google]
WX11-022.jpg
161 KB, 573x886
>>45567158
Nice to hear there's at least a few other people here that play the game. It's probably my favourite tcg right now, although it sucks that there's basically no players outside of Japan (and maybe China). It's mechanics are surprisingly well designed.

Although my one worry is that it's not really built for longevity. Mtg is probably one of the best tcgs in that respect: format rotations and draft both keep power creep vastly more contained than most other games. Without these, even well managed games eventually start creeping just because they need a reason for people to buy packs.
>>
>>45537704
Don't knock it till you try it but the Pokemon TCG is pretty fun. It's a much simpler game design wise than magic. My girlfriend actually enjoys playing it with me. Also the ultra rares and secret rares look and feel totally sick. They do this cool texturing or something to the front of some of them, giving them a rougher feel and shinier look.
>>
>>45568665
do you have any proof? also what makes you think they will mess Doomtown? so far the game is doing fairly well even in this deserted hellhole is my city.
>>
>>45568812

>Do you have any proof?

Are you unable to use Google to find a list of card games AEG has made, and where they are now?
>>
File: IMG_2016.jpg (2 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2016.jpg
2 MB, 1944x2592
>>45568793
Wixoss has some really nice textured foils as well. Why does it feel like nearly every other tcg has better foils than mtg?
>>
>>45568793
I can vouch for this. A friend ran a local game store and asked if my friend group could play if he made us decks. He knew we would play with the kids and not be autistic assholes like the other 20-year-olds there playing tourney level decks.

Was a load of fun, and suggest it for people looking for a fun CCG. Just don't go overboard buying cards, it can get expensive like MtG.
>>
>>45568876
Lets see. the last thing I know from them is that they sold L5R IP to FFG.

look I don't want to start shit in the thread. I like the game, I know Doomtown in hands of AEG will meet a terrible end, but let me be happy as long it endures. me and my friends don't want to think about any of that at least for now.
>>
File: BS34-X01.3.png (623 KB, 491x728) Image search: [Google]
BS34-X01.3.png
623 KB, 491x728
What counts as an MTG clone? I think Battle Spirits is good and pretty unique with it's Core, Level, and Cost Reduction system.
>>
>>45569028
I'm not gonna lie, those cards look nice...but there's no way in hell my lady would let me play a game with that sort of artwork...
>>
File: never gonna fuck Felica.jpg (85 KB, 326x326) Image search: [Google]
never gonna fuck Felica.jpg
85 KB, 326x326
>>45569259

>his wife tells him what games he can play
>>
>>45569430
hey, I care about her feelings. Besides, I feel like enough of a man child playing Pokemon. I probably wouldn't be able to tell anyone I collect cards with loli's on them.
>>
>>45569028
Because MtG cards created in current year have to feel like cards from 94, because MtG players are autistic enough to call a little speck of dust in a sleeve "card marking" despite how mediocre the prizes are at high level competitive magic.
>>
Literally all the LCGs are better than Magic, even the ones nobody ever played like the Lovecraft one.
>>
>>45561226
It'd really depend on what you want to play

If you want to bring others into it to playing with you but they're beginners in card games but still solid gameplay with barely any budget required:

MLP, Digimon, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Kingdom Hearts, Harry Potter, Sailor Moon

MLP, and Kingdom Hearts play similar in terms of objective but MLP is more forgiving and less risk taking in terms of using characters.

Sailor Moon and Harry Potter play closely to Pokemon but Harry Potter takes a very unique approach to how things are done. I'm shocked WOTC cancelled this so early, it had a lot of potential.

Playing a game with more complex rules:

UFS: This one is still alive (I have no idea how) and they even hold tournaments nationally. So if you like fighting games this one is for you. Complex at first but you get the hang of it, it's very diversified.

animayhem, the rules were a little weird but there are all sorts of homebrew rules people have developed to make it fun. Best part is you can also play this by yourself.

Yu Yu Hakusho, only reason why it's not on this list and not the former is because there's a lot of terminologies and power creeping to the point of ridiculousness...as expected from a card game based on a action anime. Again, homebrew rules are around to limit and give it more a balanced feel to it.

For people who you just want to come over to play, but dont want to play dead card games for these card games are basically unkillable.

Call of Cthulu, Net Runner and even Resident Evil (forgot to mention this one earlier). These are games that come complete in one box (expansions have come out for each game but not required) everyone has a fair advantage. Resident Evil can have multiple people play so if you want to have some people over that one is likely your best bet.

Each card game has their own unique fun factor to them, I have my own guilty pleasures i did not mention but those are ones i know would give you an unique experience.
>>
>>45562783
Yes, the MLP is solid and it's extremely easy to learn. It's non violent and they take the whole "you win" thing in a different way than most card games which is pretty neat in my opinion.

you should fear those who play it though in stores.

initial D is unique like the others, but the way they incorporate the cars, the tracks, the advantages and maneuvers make it really cool.
>>
This thread reminded me, did anyone ever play that Looney Tunes TCG? I remember reading a few articles in TopDeck back when I had a subscription, which did a decent job of piquing my curiosity but it never went anywhere since I literally never saw the cards. Had an interesting concept of each player competing to come up with the best cartoon short rather than the obvious, boring route of having licensed characters fight each other. For all I know the game was complete garbage though.
>>
>>45570083
No, I tried looking for it and ended up with finding Simpsons card game but after reading the rules on the Simpsons card game and it greatly disappointed me to the point I didn't even care to try it for myself.
>>
File: ep-5-4.jpg (137 KB, 1280x711) Image search: [Google]
ep-5-4.jpg
137 KB, 1280x711
If you want a truly different paradigm from the typical mana/value oriented model games based on Magic, cardfight vanguard can be refreshing.

Vanguard on the surface looks like the most casual chump game on the planet because it has a sort of RNG element to it in the form of "trigger checks." However, the rest of the game is very low variance. Basically your mindset has to be completely different because the game doesn't really go by the strategic model of repeatedly thinking "how do I two fur wun" and "how do I spend all my tapping." It's a completely different sort of pressure game.

Vanguard isn't for everybody though. The way the high level tournaments are run is... not great for a pro scene. Sacking does happen from time to time. Also you basically begin a game of vanguard under pressure, and some people don't like that.

Aside from the flaws, vanguard has twenty or so unique clans. There is unique gameplay to every one of them. The starter decks in vanguard are amazingly good for starting and experienced players alike. Probably my favorite thing about the game is that it is over five years old with over twenty sets and yet it does NOT have a rotating format, NOTHING has had to be banned, and the restricted list is so lenient that it's in the email field of this post.
>>
>>45569028
I really want to try new games. But those fucking fapbait arts...
>>
The problem I encounter is "C"CG implies I have to spend fuckton of cash (or some korean grind equivalent) to just "stay relevant" in the "meta".
>>
deadlands
>>
>>45569626
Cause loli has nothing to do wit it....
>>
>>45537704
I've played some great and shitty CCGs over the years.

>spell fire
A terrible game my friends and I tried out. Most of them threw their cards out, and we went back to magic.
>over the edge
A pretty fun game based on the on the edge RPG. The game had potential. It ended up dying a slow death.

>Illuminati
One of the more unique games we played. Really fun. It is a non collectible card game now. I wonder if they are still supporting it.

>Babylon 5/ wheel of time
Both of these were pretty fun, and based around the same system. One of the cooler aspects was being able to pick three cards to go in your starting hand.

>vampire the masquerade/ jihad
I thought this game was okay. The life as a resource was interesting. Certain characters and cards were super unbalanced.

>call of cthulhu
I started collecting this when it was a CCG, now it is just a plain card game. Really fun, I like the story aspect to it. I am just annoyed they changed the card backs when it switched to a non-ccg.
>>
>>45537704
>CCG
>Not Magic clone
What you ask for is impossible for a very simple reason: there aren't many ways to create a good CCG. All of them will look like Magic clones to you.
>>
>>45567158
>>45568711
Care to expand on what make the game good ? I ordered a couple of trial decks, mostly for collecting, but I would like to get into it if it's interesting.
>>
>>45573763
I literally listed 26 games that are nothing like magic
>>
File: 031P.jpg (98 KB, 450x614) Image search: [Google]
031P.jpg
98 KB, 450x614
>>45574277
The flow of gameplay is much more smooth than mtg, and runs into fewer hiccups.

You can't get mana screwed, because every card in your deck can go to the ener zone to provide resources. However, you can still find yourself short on ener on a crucial turn due to the opponent playing carefully and/or your own mismanagement.

You draw two cards a turn, and cards have many more built-in card advantage generators, so death tends not to happen due to running out of cards in hand (as in mtg), but rather from willful strategic plays.

The priority system is much better than games like mtg or yugioh, where literally everything can be responded to, so players need to leave a slight pause after everything they do. Rather, during your opponent's turn, there are only two windows to play 'instants': the start of the combat phase, and in response to 'sorceries'. So instead of having to f6 everything, players play their turn during their turn, but there's still windows that allow for interaction.

Also, due to the near total lack of players in anywhere not Japan, the best way to play is Webxoss, which is like ygopro, but browser based (just remember to save your decks). It's free and handles all rules and effects for you, and is generally only one set behind the physical release. Building decks in paper is relatively inexpensive though. The most expensive cards are the blinged out level 0 LRIGs (>>45569028, among others), which you are legally allowed to proxy, which keeps the price of actual staples relatively low (compared to the money-pits some tcgs become). TT also has a reasonable reprint policy.

It's a good game. If you have some starters, you can do what I did and play them against each other to figure out general game flow and the play style of a given LRIG, then transition to Webxoss for games against other players (the starter decks do tend to lack the late game card advantage of fully tuned deck lists, so tend to run low on cards towards the end).
>>
>>45575294
Thanks for infos, I'll probably look into Webxoss if I decide to get into the game, as it's already hard enough to find someone to play Weiss Schwarz with me.
>>
File: daigotsukanpekitest-1-big.jpg (204 KB, 690x505) Image search: [Google]
daigotsukanpekitest-1-big.jpg
204 KB, 690x505
>>45537704
The only good ones were Netrunner and Legends of the 5 Rings.

But L5R is dead until 2017 and probably will be entirely different, but damn that game was amazing, even in the later years, when balance was a laughing matter, it was still incredibly fun.

Then AEG kept fucking it up before announcing that they were going to make the bad guys win, completely, and then immediately selling the IP.
>>
So, what makes something not like MtG? Is it important that individual cards don't have a "mana cost" to play or if there aren't things like creatures as opposed to sorceries?
>>
>>45577708
How slow it is.
>>
>>45577708
To me, there are 4 things that really define Magic:
1) Land resource mechanic
2) The stack
3) Lack of controllable card draw
4) Attacking with creatures as a single phase

A game is a Magic clone if it contains all of the above. A game like Pokemon has (IIRC) only the 3rd and 4th points but lacks the stack and lands. Netrunner contains none of those points (for better or worse).
>>
>>45537704
Gwent is the best vidya CCG
>>
>>45578086
So, you would say Hearthstone is nothing like MtG? That seems a little ridiculous, but it also has none of those.
>>
>>45578197
It's similar to Magic. But it isn't a Magic clone (which OP was talking about).
>>
>>45578295
It is pretty much just magic with stuff removed though.
>>
>>45578197
"land resource mechanic" would be better defined as "mana resource mechanic like magic"
Otherwise you exclude stuff like hearthstone, WoWTCG, Duel Masters, etc.

Stuff like Magi-nation duel clearly doesn't count because while it does have a resource, it doesn't work anything like land.
>>
>>45578529
A wordier way of putting it might be: a resource system that can be incrementally increased every turn, and which fully replenishes every turn. Games like Netrunner, Wixoss, Weiss Schwarz (I'm guessing Vanguard as well), and even yugioh all run off markedly different systems, either exhaustible resources that must be built up and managed, or systems like yugioh that restrict the available actions in a given turn.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.