[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Standard Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 14
File: 159984_CN.jpg (911 KB, 1500x914) Image search: [Google]
159984_CN.jpg
911 KB, 1500x914
Talk about the standard format of magic

What are you gonna play at FNM anon?
>>
File: deceiver of Sifter.jpg (276 KB, 624x445) Image search: [Google]
deceiver of Sifter.jpg
276 KB, 624x445
>>45512549
Wanted to make an eldrazi deck, but don't got the eye, so can't do that well in modern.
So should I make a scion-sac deck, with Rotshambler and death-friends, or a Golgari or Sultai scion-ramp deck with pic related and Blight Herders?
>>
>>45512549
hello everyone, I'm new to magic, hopefully this is the right thread

can someone explain to me how sets are rotated out of the system? when and how does it ahppen? how can I know what is up to date and legal?
>>
>>45512828
6 latest sets, when a new set comes out the oldest one rotates out.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/standard-formats-magic-gathering
>>
>>45512841
so to check whether my cards are legal I always have to go on the website?
>>
>>45512929
Whatsinstandard.com
>>
>>45512965
don't have working proxy at work
>>
>>45512929
6 sets really isn't that difficult to keep track of. You'll see after a month or so it'll be second nature
>>
Tomorrow there is a mtg sealed event. This is my first one. Any tips?
>>
>playing FNM

Why don't you have a good group?
>>
>>45513810
Read the cards, stay on curve
>>
I'm gonna be playing Red/Black dash, its not that good but i just started and dont want to dump too much money into the game so its fine.

What would you guys recommend a newbie built that isn't too expensive but i can have fun with
>>
So I bought myself the u/w dragons of tarkir intro pack to turn it into a modern deck, but since it has still 2 two months(?) left until rotation in standard, i thought I´d make it standard viable until then. What do you guys suggest I put in there? My current options are:

Clash of Wills
Narset Transcendent
Anafenza, Kin Tree Spirit
Noyan Dar
Reflector Mage
Roil Spout
Meandering River

The playsets will be finished next week. Should I get other cards?
>>
Anyone wanna help me brew a deck for Standard after SOI drops? I usually play Legacy but I'm interested in building a deck using Reflector Mages, CoCo, and Eerie Interlude.
So far I've got:
Creatures:
4x Eldrazi Displacer
4x Reflector Mage
4x Elvish Visionary
2x Mizzium Meddler

Instant/Sorc.
4x Collected Company
4x Eerie Interlude

I'm not too familiar with the format or the meta, any tips?
>>
I have an idea for G/R aggro with herald of the pantheon and infectious bloodlust at its core, but im having trouble fleshing it out. Any ideas guys?
>>
>>45514665
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blue-anus-control/

If you want to get into control.
>>
Rakdos eldrazi aggro is crazy fun
>>
>>45516629
Here, have this list. Some anon posted it some time ago and it has more or less the same cards / colours.

Creatures:
>Sylvan Advocate x4
>Wall of Resurgence x4
>Eldrazi Displacer x3
>Jace, Vryn's Prodigy x3
>Reflector Mage x4
>Undergrowth Champion x3

Spells:
>Hardened Scales x4
>Explosive Vegetation x4
>Collected Company x4
>Planar Outburst x3

Lands:
>Blighted Woodland x4
>Yavimaya Coast x4
>Lumbering Falls x4
>Windswept Heath x4
>Plains x6
>Forest x2

The only cards rotating out come april are the fetchlands and Hardened Scales, but there'll be stuff to replace them come SoI.
>>
File: giphy.gif (559 KB, 500x215) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
559 KB, 500x215
>win two round out of three at fnm
>lose third one
>this causes 4 teams to tie for first place
>mfw my team is the 3rd according to some percentage
>>
So how do I play Atarka Red and make friends? Everyone seems to get salty after I become immense and temur battle rage after they block.
>>
I got 3 jace and my fumaroles. What kind of UR prowess should I run?
>>
File: I'll walk it off.jpg (80 KB, 480x479) Image search: [Google]
I'll walk it off.jpg
80 KB, 480x479
Got a shitton good-to-decent eldrazi-cards in today's FNM, so I'm wondering which colours I should go for.
http://tappedout.net/users/DoctorPiccolo/lists/devoid-cards/?cat=color&submit=Go!
Got most commons from BFZ and OGW.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>45517094
Thanks, after some thought this is what I came up with, thoughts?

Creatures
4 Reflector Mage
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Eldrazi Displacer
2 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
3 Mizzium Meddler
3 Harbinger of the Tides
3 Leaf Gilder

Instant/Sorc.
3 Negate
2 Horribly Awry
4 Eerie Interlude
4 Collected Company

Lands
4 Prairie Stream
4 Canopy Vista
6 Island
5 Plains
5 Forest

SB
3 Enlightened Ascetic
>>
I've been playing Zada Arcbond since back to zendikar was released, but Arcbond is going to rotate in a couple of months.
Should I continue to play Zada? Should I just tool it up for the new meta?
Should I abandon it and get a new confusing and difficult and shitty deck to make other players miserable at my fnm?
Does anyone have any ideas for a confusing, difficult and above all shit deck in the coming standard?
>>
File: Image.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
How is everyone's FNM? Is there a wide range of skills, lots of newbies, or is it a clash of $200 decks?
>>
>>45521169
>200
heh. A playset of polluted delta is ~120, a playset of Jace is ~200+.
200 seems cheap is what I'm saying.
>>
>>45521169
I´ve got 2 g/b eldrazi, an u/r prowess (myself, soon to be azorius control), a jeskai and a atarka red. Don´t know the other decks right now. We aren´t really sure on the money with all the selling or buying we do.

Worst part is, the eldrazi player´s want to team up for two headed giant next week.
>>
>>45521169

>a clash of $200 decks

I wish, my FNM is protour-lite.
>>
Just FYI, if you supernerds want, I started a discord for chat/matchmaking/yelling at each other about money treadmills and Eldrazi. There's a few of us from the EDH thread hanging out in here, now.

https://discord.gg/0q3dlAIlJs6OEOvh
>>
Couple of new player questions -

Does land count as a target for a spell? Ie. does negate affect playing a land? I had a more experienced player use negate when i went to play a land and it seemed to not be correct but I didn't question it at the time. Following from that, if that land has an ability (for example a tap/sacrifice ability) does that ability then count as a spell?

Second, Kozilek the great distortions ability - the one being able to counter spells by sacrificing a card - does the mana cost on the sacrificed card have to exactly equal the card you are countering? For example - if they cast something with a mana cost of 3, and you have something with a mana cost of 4, can you sac the 4 CMC card to counter the 3 spell?

I'm sure i had more questions but that's about it for now.
>>
>>45523495
>Second, Kozilek the great distortions ability - the one being able to counter spells by sacrificing a card - does the mana cost on the sacrificed card have to exactly equal the card you are countering?
Yes

If a card has a CMC of 4, you can only use it with Kozi's effect to counter CMC 4 spells.
>>
>>45523495
>does negate affect playing a land?
No. Playing a land is a special action that does not use the stack. You got cheated.

>>45523495
>does that ability then count as a spell?
No. It goes on the stack, but it's an activated ability, which can only be targeted by spells or abilities that target activated abilities.
>>
>>45513810
Money pick whenever possible, then worry about the draft.
>>
>>45523585
That is what I thought was the case, yes. I suspect I would have lost regardless, but now I will know for next time.
>>45523565
Ah, that's unfortunate. Good to know for sure though.

Thanks lads, much appreciated.
>>
>>45521232
Dang, Deltas are at 30 already? yeesh

Also my Game Day had a good amount of expensive decks, with Abzan/Jeskai Black/Jeskai Midrange

Basically a clash of $300+ decks.
>>
>>45523495
Lands are not spells. You can't counter a land drop. Abilities on lands are not spells, they are activated or triggered abilities. You can't counter abilities except for a very rare minority of special cards like Stifle and Trickbind.

Cards that can be countered with Cancel include: Artifact, Enchantment, Creature, Instant, Sorcery

Your Kozilek question was answered above. The converted mana cost has to be an exact match. A card that costs 2WW can be discarded to counter a spell that costs 3B, but a card that costs 3RRR cannot.
>>
>>45512798
G/B sacrifice is one of the best budget options for standard right now. I gave my friend a list and he built it for like 20 bucks while we were registering for the tournament. I'd recommend using Bone Splinters and Zulaport Cutthroat. The Deceiver of Forms route doesn't seem good. There are so many options for this kind of deck that you can build a super cheap version and then if you enjoy it you can add more expensive cards like Liliana and Collected Company.

>>45513550
This anon is right. It becomes so much easier to keep track of after a while.

>>45513810
Play two colors. Make sure you have an actual plan and not just random cards. Plan to attack as fast as possible, flood the board and win with fliers, control the game and win with a fattie, etc.

>>45515158
Dragons of Tarkir doesn't rotate until the block after Innistrad comes out, which will be around October.

>>45516629
You really need to wait until we see new cards. It's a good archetype to keep in mind though when the spoilers start.

>>45518834
It's not a scummy strategy. They just aren't playing the right cards to beat it, or aren't playing against it correctly. Just tell them to git guud
>>
File: ojutai.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ojutai.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
Every format I brew up a control deck. I usually tend toward Floresian control (stalling the early game to drop a huge trump rather than playing pure control)

When Ojutai was spoiled I was in love. I build Esper dragons immediately and was pretty annoyed when it became popular. But now that it's tier 2 it feels a lot better.

Esper dragons is especially a great deck to play right now because it has such a great matchup against Rally. (I wouldn't recommend picking it up without experience though)
>>
>>45523686
Thanks for that, certainly clarifies things. Maybe I should have questioned him last night.

Anyway, i've been refining an eldrazi deck over the last week, I'm hoping for some feedback now on what I can maybe change? It's mostly black, but I've had to add green since it's the only eldrazi that has scion summoning cards, and a few blue because it has some low mana cost creatures - thoughts?

2 Ulamog's Despoiler
4 Sludge Crawler
2 Dominator Drone
3 Oblivion Strike
4 Unnatural Endurance
1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
4 From Beyond
2 Call the Scions
3 Witness the End
2 Call the Scions
1 Oblivion Sower
2 Mist Intruder
2 Warden of Geometries
2 Cultivator Drone
2 Grip of Desolation
4 Blisterpod

6 Swamp
4 Unknown Shores
4 Crumbling Vestige
4 Lumbering Falls
4 Submerged Boneyard
2 Mirrorpool
>>
How do you guys feel about transgress the mind as a 1-2 in BW control?
>>
>>45524811
As you can see in my deck above, I enjoy it. It's very helpful if you pick it up early on since you can 1. look at your enemies hand and know what they might be planning, and 2. discard something that might be integral to their victory.

It's not very effective against decks that don't have strong creatures in there, but even then you can still look at their hand.
>>
Everyone at my LGS plays fucking control decks and I hate them. They're not fun. Lost 3/4 matches tonight, how do I get my revenge next week?
>>
>>45520286
>CoCo rotates
Find a new deck, m80
>>
>>45520286
Alright, here are my thoughts:

>Mizzium Medler
This one isn't really a very good creature here. Its main use is to cover up your other creatures, specially big, expensive beatsticks your opponent would target or your wincon. You've got none of that in your deck and Company already ensures you'll be digging quite deep for creatures, so you'll most likely be able to replace any of the weenies you loose no sweat. The only use I see for Medler here is how if the opponent has casted whatever spell you might try and cast Company to try hit Medler, but that's wholly unreliable. A bad strategy all in all.

>Harbinger of the Tide
Great fit, cost efficient creature with a good effect and a great hit for Collected Company, since it allows you to cast it in your opponent's turn without paying the extra 2. Still, I'm unsure about it. It's kind of redundant with Reflector Mage already there. On occasion you can begin exploiting Harbinger with Displacer on turn 4, one turn earlier than with Reflector, but to do that you gotta hit 2 blue mana turn 2, which to do reliably you are gonna need fetchlands for. Overall it doesn't add anything significant to the deck, since CoCo Reflector + Displacer already gives you all the creature bouncing you could ever want. Plus, you'll never be flickering Harbinger once Reflector's out, so it's really very situational.

>Elvish Visionary, Leafglider
Drop these ASAP. Visionary is hot garbage, a terrible card to hit with CoCo and the Enters the Battlefield effect (or ETB trigger) isn't good enough for you to even consider flickering. Leaf Glider should only be there if you want to cast Company turn 3, which you really couldn't fully take advantage of since other than Displacer your creatures don't have much of a body and you can't both have Anafenza out on the field and have Leaf Glider to cast CoCo.

1/?
>>
>>45524887
CoCo is DTK
>>
Look I got lucky and invested in Eye of Ugins and Eldrazi Temples before our Oath of the Gatewatch overlords ruined Modern; so now I'm a modern eldrazi shitter. I want to shit all over standard with my Thought nazis and Smashers when my Eyes get banned in April, what's a good deck looking like post-SOI?
>>
>>45524976
Right... Still getting used to rotation...
>>
>>45524955
Thanks, I thought the Visionaries would be sweet blink targets as a source of card advantage but I'll look for some other etb creatures. also after proxying it up and testing I realized I didn't have any colorless sources for Displacer, sooo I fixed that.
>>
>>45524887
It don't rotate tho. Only Khans and Fate Rotate this April.

>>45520286
>Anafenza, Kin Tree Spirit
Great idea, great fit for the deck. Still, using this card proficiently will require fetchlands so you can cast it T2 more reliably. If you play this card though you want to play other cards that have a good synergy with +1/+1 counters. Hardened Scales comes to mind, also Relief Captain (though you can't cast that with CoCo since its 4 cmc. Other creatures with the ability Support might be worth looking into too, specially with Hardened Scales).

>Horribly Awry
Why do you have this in your list?, It basically is "Rhino Hate: The Card" and you really shouldn't concern yourself with meme rhino since its gonna rotate out. You also have enough creature hate as it is

>Eerie Interlude
Its a crime that you would have this card and yet have no board wipes to clear the board while your creatures are safe (albeit you'd need ramp spells for that). Also please do note that the creatures you exile with this card will loose all the +1/+1 counters they had on them. The idea is good, but ultimately counterproductive if you want to base your deck on getting your creatures to grow.

All in all, your deck seems like it'd be good at staying alive, but bat at actually winning the game. You can't rely on Anafenza to make your creatures threatening and there's nothing specially scary besides her and Reflector. You need bigger bodies for 3 mana max, so that you can cast them with CoCo. Also you need to find a way to put more pressure in the opponent offensively speaking.

Also are you aware activating Displacer's ability requires colorless mana which your deck is unable to produce as it is?
>>
>>45525023
You got Mimics yes?, You could play Rakdos Eldrazi Aggro then. Other than Mimics its dirt cheap.

>>45525209
Its really nothing. I'll try to come up with some recommendations myself.
>>
>>45523836
>G/B sacrifice is one of the best budget options for standard right now
Got 4 of the Cutthroats and other things getting stronger from sac-ing tokens.
Does it anything of it change considering that I'm the same dude as >>45520072 ?
I could go Dimir or Sultai too, but the question is should I?
>>
>>45525386
Thanks, I feel like the list will be more flexible after CoCo rotates, but as it stands it's too good not to take advantage of in a creature-based deck. As it stands now all the creatures can be hit off CoCo but maybe SOI will show us some more sweet ETB effects at 4-5 CMC
>>
File: 1028312.jpg (79 KB, 750x709) Image search: [Google]
1028312.jpg
79 KB, 750x709
I'm gonna play 4 Color Cancer Rally at Regionals

Wish me luck
>>
>>45521169
>or is it a clash of $200 decks?
I wish my LGS was that casual.
>>
>>45518834
Don't be a dick about it.
That's it.
If people want to get salty because you played your cards they are retarded and don't need your attention.
>>
>>45519855
Don't run Jace in a prowess deck please.
It's just bad.
On turn 2 you don't want to cast a Jace.
You want to drop a stormchaser or a swifstpear +spell.
Missing doing damage on a turn is just bad in an aggro deck.
You don't really want Jace to flashback a shitty cantrip that you have like 12 in your deck.
Instead play the 1/3 blue creature that get+1/+0 and unblockable each time you cast a spell.
>>
Got smashed at draft, we only had 6 people but we fired it anyway. I know going under 7 screwed with it a little bit, but any tips for drafting?
>>
>>45527867
If you actually think Jace is bad in U/R Prowess you should legitimately kill yourself

It straight up allows the deck to be flexible outside of racing someone to death. Without Jace it's not a competitive deck. Elusive Spellfist (the card yo are talking about) is a terrible fucking replacement.

Please keep your shitty advice to yourself
>>
>>45523908
Are you kidding it probably have the worst matchup against rally and that's why Esper dragon got dropped to tier 2 because it gets wrecked hard by rally.
They aggro you like crazy and don't care that you counter/kill their creatures since they're fine having them in the graveyard.
And if you don't kill/counter their creatures they bash your face ez.
>>
>>45524862
wew thanks for the info. I didn't knew i could see my opponent hand and rip a card from it from reading the card.
Thanks for rephrasing the oracle text it was very confusing.
>>
>>45524881
Play atarka red
>>
>>45524881
What control decks exist at the moment in standard?

Esper is like tier 3 and nothing else exists

The fuck is your meta?
>>
>>45527966
No problem. Considering it only costs two mana, it can be very helpful against most decks, allowing you to exile what could have been a powerful creature, or even a powerful spell you didn't want them to use. I also use oblivion strike, witness the end and other cards that force them to exile from either the field, their hand, or the top of their deck (ingest) - then I can move them from exile to the graveyard with Ulamog's Despoiler and get a 9/9 creature for 6 mana, which isn't too bad.

The main downside for me has been either not drawing enough land and getting poor hands, or simply not getting enough creatures out in time before I am dead.
>>
>>45527933
You don't want to become a grindy deck with a bunch of shitty late game creature and shitty cantrip.
You want to kill before turn 5.
After they land a rhino, a wingmate roc, a rally you can't come back even with a jace.
Jace do nothing in the deck, face it
-3 jace flashback expedite
wew surely you'll grind your opponent with this shit.
It's not because you saw Jace on some scg open in a UR prowess shell that it is the way to do it.
I played the deck and played against it and everytime you land a jace on turn 2 or topdeck it after the turn 2 you just wish it were another creature because they are so easily removed (you're playing a bunch of 2/1, 1/3 and 1/2) and if you don't have a creatures that does damage, your spells are blank cards.
Playing 4 Jace that does nothing but can eventually flashback a cantrip is shit boy.
>>
>>45528087
Yeah flashing back a treasure cruise or a murderous cut sounds pretty shitty senpai

Roast? Nah dude that card blows too

I would totally just build UR Prowess exactly like Atarka Red

Only you know just objectively worse without Jaces because you are gimping yourself only to be an aggro deck when it can take multiple roles

I've played the deck before and clearly better then you have. It's not even a very competitive deck but without Jaces it's not even playable.
>>
>>45528187
And what your treasure cruise will give you 3 cantrips, a roast ?

You don't want and can't play the long game in this deck.
Your creatures are too fragile and need to do damages before they die because if you play jace you only play 12 creatures that are just shit after turn 4 and die to ALL the maindeck removal in the format
You dont want to be at a point where you need to flashback a spell.

Jace just makes the deck slower than it want to be.
You're not playing 8 haste creatures to sit there and cast a Jace turn 2 then loot jace on turn 3, flip and +1...

Wtf are you playing murderous cut main deck in a UR prowess deck faggot ?
>>
Question - for items that summon something on a single turn, do those things have summoning sickness?

So, for examples:

A blisterpod attacks for 1. The blisterpod is defended and dies and on death spawns a 1/1 scion - can that scion attack immediately after the blisterpods death?

Second, if I copy a creature with Mirrorpool, lets say it's Ulamog's Despoiler and it has 4 +1/+1 counters on it, will the copy despoiler have the counters on it, and will the copy despoiler have summoning sickness?

And lastly, with an artifact like the captains claws, you get a 1/1 kor ally when attacking - that kor ally is summoned during the attacking stage, can it therefore attack at that same time (along with the creature that generated it) or no?
>>
Standard needs a slivers deck, I fucking love slivers. Reading that magic manga about the cute girl playing slivers deck got me rehyped.

I think m15 gave us a couple of shitty ones but I want a set to come out with 20-30.
>>
>>45528703
1: No, you already did a combat step, you can't attack again
2: No, it will not copy the counters only the base creature, and it will have summoning sickness since it just entered field
3:Comes in tapped and attacking. Exactly what it says, it's attacking.
>>
>>45528703
>A blisterpod attacks for 1. The blisterpod is defended and dies and on death spawns a 1/1 scion - can that scion attack immediately after the blisterpods death?
No, for multiple reasons.

1) You already finished combat.
2) You have not controlled that specific item continuously since your last upkeep.
>>
>>45528761
>>45528785
Thanks. I thought as much.

In terms of duplicating cards via mirrorpool, does it have their abilities? In which case, duplicating the ulamog's D in the last example - would I then be able to move 2 cards from exile to graveyard to give it the counters?

Also, Drana, Liberator of Malakir - her ability resolves /after/ she does combat damage, right? So they don't get the counter whilst attacking that term, it will be given after she deals the damage (and therefore after all creatures have dealt damage and combat is fully resolved) - correct or nah?
>>
>>45528960
Drana has first strike so she does damage. Her ability trigger and resolve then all the normal damage occur. So the creatures attacking with her get +1/+1 counters.
Seriously. Read the cards. All the question you asked are answered by reading the cards...
>>
>>45528718
That will never happen, it'd break Standard.

Even in a Standard with no fetches and no duals (and that won't ever happen either) a outburst of slivers would mean they'd quickly dominate the meta since their release straight until they rotate. That's why they print them in small clusters, so that assembling a Sliver deck is only possible in more powerful formats.

I like Slivers too, but trust me, having a Sliver set would be worse than a thousand rhinos.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-01-16-esper-demonic-pact/

I'm still having a great time playing this deck on Xmage. I pretty much only lose to Siege Rhino decks, as they won't die to Languish. Even then, I can work my way around abzan.
>>
>>45516801
I'd rather play something more aggroey
>>
>>45531463
Xmage? Could you elaborate? Is that a magic version of dueling network?
>>
File: xmage.jpg (323 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
xmage.jpg
323 KB, 1366x768
>>45531520
xmage is a software that lets you build any deck you want in any format you want, and play with those decks in their respective formats against other Xmage clients. It also supports draft and sealed. It's free, google it.
>>
>>45531618
I´m on it, thanks.
>>
>>45531633
Meant going to do search for it, damn autocorrect.
>>
Posted earlier in thread about making a u/w control deck viable for standard and somehow ended up with a land creature focused deck. The problem is, the cmc is to high, with 10 5 mana cards. Are there any good 1 drops for u/w in the format right now?
>>
>>45531691
Just play fortified rampart/wall of resurgence senpai.
>>
>>45531704
Just switched them in. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>tfw playing RW Allies Equip, beating ramp before it's able to drop Ugin, removing 4 walkers, 2 Rhinos and Reality Smasher against 4-Color Rally and still winning.

I swear this is the best deck you can get in Standard under 20$.
>>
>>45531816
Has r/w really gotten good that much? Always lost with them in prior standards.
>>
>>45531830
I'm relying on Outpost Siege to keep my game running and to be able to keep up against Collected Krasis ans Reflector Mages.
Ugin is insta death, tho. Unless you kept a Bushwhacker and another criature in your hand.
The best play you can get with this deck is to cast Titan's Strength and Temur Battle Rage on Zada, Hedrons Grinder.
>>
This is what I have been using the past two weeks:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/373679#online

I've won my LGS FNM for two weeks straight and got a game day mat with it. In a field of nothing but rally decks this will get you results.
>>
File: 125780790534612.jpg (74 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
125780790534612.jpg
74 KB, 500x500
>>45521232
>>45521340
>>45527563

Holy shit.

I just bought a full set of Orgins Commons/Uncommons x4 for $25 so me and my friend group could play seeled from a Pauper Cube. Just a fun way to get back into Magic.

Considered buying 2 or 3 rares to make a deck and play at FNM, but fuck me. Are most people literally playing with $500 decks at FNM? What about the middle/hightschoolers there?

Just a heads up, haven't played in a while. Remember the card backings changing was a big deal.
>>
>>45525386
Cool thanks for feedback
>>
>>45527943
You are an idiot. Rally's biggest weaknesses, besides Anafenza and Kalitas, are big flyers and dispels for their rally/coco. Esper Dragons has both.

Brad Nelson, god of fat and standard, played esper dragons a few weeks ago just because it crushes Rally. But obviously this anon poster knows more about standard than the most successful standard metagamer in the world.
>>
>>45527867
>>45527933
You idiots aren't going to resolves this argument. Jace doesn't fit the strategy of the deck, but he is insanely powerful and can win games on his own. So neither of you are wrong.

>>45531691
You don't really want a mana curve for control. But you do want a variety of cmc. You will be playing a tap land on turn 1 so you don't need a spell to play on turn 1. But like I said, you want a variety of costs, and the best 1 cost spells to play in u/w mainboard would probably be 1xDispel and 1xSearing Light. WIth more Dispels in the sideboard.
>>
>>45534128
Esper dragon does nothing for the first 5 turns except counter.
Rally doesn't care you counter their shit or wipe their board.
You can't drop Ojutai on 5 because you'll be tapped out and letting the opponent resolves his rally/coco
Putting the rally on a clock only at turn 6 is not enough, you'll be already dead at that point.
Remember that the biggest weakness of Esper dragon is aggro. Rally can easily be an aggro deck that swarm the board. And can be resilient to board wipes.

So yes, Esper dragon is not advantaged against Rally.
Otherwise can you please explain to me why suddenly Esper Dragon is tier 2 since the meta hasn't changed except for Rally being the most played deck ?
>>
>>45534562
Given Brad Nelson and about 40 matches of experience contradict what you are saying, I'm inclined to disagree. They are slow and try to win with resiliency if you counter Rally. That's the perfect deck for Ojutai to prey on.

Esper dragons is underplayed right now because everyone stopped playing it when Crackling Doom was everywhere. A few people like Brad have picked it up since. Its matchup against ramp is a little dicey too, so that makes it a little scary.
>>
What's the best deck against a meta full of Collected Company deck ?
Everyone at my FNM plays Collected Company's deck (Bant, Abzan, White temur) and I want to counter this meta but don't know what will work against this kind of tempo/aggro deck ?
Actually playing Abzan Blue but I feel the game are always close and come to who drew best. If I have my curve I win, if they have theirs, they win.
So what deck is best to counter CoCo decks ?
>>
>>45534737
It's really hard. I guess the best plan would be to beat them pound for pound on the ground with Siege Rhino etc. But it sounds like that's what you're already doing.
>>
>>45532559

>What about the middle/hightschoolers there?
They all wait for khans to rotate out.
>>
>>45534822
Yeah, if I'm on the play and have
T1 warden -> T2 boost -> T3 anafenza -> T4 some 2 or 3 cmc spell, leaving up stubborn denial -> T5 rhino still leaving up counterspell. I win.
But if on the draw and don't have this sequencing, i'm always playing on the backfoot and susceptible to a swarm of the board.
I'll maybe try some copies of planar outburst in my SB
>>
>>45535108
Use Tragic Arrogance instead. Any one of your guys that you keep will probably beat the guy that they keep.
>>
>>45512798
Make scion-sac, it will be fun in innistrad. I'm sure cards that benefit from deat will make a return
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-02-16-bw-allies-life-gain/

Could you guys help em out with this?
>>
>>45512798
>Deceiver of Form

terrible
>>
>>45531618

>can't afford MTGO
>>
>>45526763

Enjoy sorting out your triggers for an hour and a half.
>>
Guys, what if we

hear me out on this

What if

now, just listen for a sec...

what if we splashed green in UR Prowess for just Atarka's Command?
>>
>>45537864
You don't flood the board.
>>
>>45537864
>tfw I splashed blue in my GR burn deck
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 200x285
> show up at first FNM Standard event in 10 years
> bring G/B Elf deck based on a combination of Origins draft chaff and cards from a scrapped Modern deck
> completely steamroll the competition, go 4-0 matches 2-0 each
Guys I think elves are pretty good
>>
File: image.gif (4 MB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
4 MB, 800x800
>>45538690
My decklist, if anyone's curious:

Creatures (33):
4x Gnarlroot Trapper
4x Thornbow Archer
4x Beastcaller Savant
4x Dwynen's Elite
4x Elvish Visionary
2x Sylvan Advocate
1x Nissa, Vastwood Seer
4x Shaman of the Pack
4x Sylvan Messenger
2x Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen

Spells (4):
4x Collected Company

Lands (23):
9x Forest
8x Swamp
2x Hissing Quagmire
4x Llanowar Wastes

Sideboard (provisional):
2x Bone Splinters
2x Duress
2x Caustic Caterpillar
2x Managorger Hydra
3x Eyeblight Massacre
2x Gilt-Leaf Winnower
2x Tajuru Warcaller

For the main deck, I'll probably trade out a Thornbow Archer for a Sylvan Advocate and a Forest for another Nissa when I can. Any other suggestions are welcome; don't know much about the current Standard meta other than that people love Jace and Siege Rhino.
>>
>>45538690
depends on the level of your FNM.
At my FNM a guy kept showing with an GB elf deck too and everytime he got crushed hard into 1-3 or 0-4 results.
He switched to another top 8 coco deck.
My FNM is only top 8 decks (abzan, rally, a lot of coco deck recently, ur prowess) so pretty difficult to come with this kind of deck and win.
>>
>>45531898
Can I get a list?
>>
I'm running a 40~ dollar green black sacrifice deck. The only cards worth anything are the Tasigurs.

I do reasonably well at a more casual game stores FNMs, but the other is top 8 shit all the time in every format, which sucks because that place has much better prices and I'd like to plat there more, but I'd just get stomped.
>>
>>45539070
Pretty sure my FNM has a pretty solid skill curve. The same store has a weekly Modern event with a lot of the same players, and I typically get creamed there despite having a pretty standard Affinity list.
>>
File: really now.jpg (68 KB, 264x289) Image search: [Google]
really now.jpg
68 KB, 264x289
>>45537408
>paying for a digital card collection
>2016
Online MTG is like playing with proxy cards. They are not real cards. Do you pay for playing with proxy cards, too? (Not counterfeits; I'm talking about blatantly obvious proxy cards for the sake of playing the Magic deck you desire to play.)
>>
>Tfw win fnm, packs all garbage.
>buy 4 packs of origins right after and pull a jace.
>>
>>45540102
>cracking packs
why not just keep them for drafts? Spend the saved money buying the singles you need?
>>
>>45512828
I'm new too. I've been using whatsinstandard.com to keep up.
>>
What's the general opinion on Oath of the Gatewatch? My circle of friends feel extremely disappointed with it (and we all play casually, so you'd think this set, supposedly built with us in mind, would be seen more favorably).
>>
>>45542153
Better than BFZ by a lot.

Thought Knot Seer
Reality Smasher
Reflector Mage
Grasp of Darkness
Kalitas
Ayli
Sylvan Advocate
Goblin Dark Dwellers

The only card from BFZ except lands that see a lot of play is Gideon
>>
I wanna build bw allies life gain/drain

Any good lists?
>>
Is there any way to play for free online, i want to test decks I'm building irl without going out but don't want to pay for cards I already have
>>
>>45544650

>>45531618
>>
>>45544129

I'm using >>45536774 you could try that out
>>
>>45538197
Yes, but 3 to the face plus +2 from a stormchaser or two and other friends is almost worth splashing for instead of an expedite or two
>>
>Tfw two lgs near me
>lgs A has multiple events a week and has dnd as well
>lgs B only does fnm and game day
>the lgs with tons of events is run by an asshole and the regulars are generally pretty unwelcoming
>the other lgs is run by a cool older dude and the regulars are generally a lot friendlier

It's such a weird duality to deal with, I hate going to lgs A but lgs B only really has fnm so a lot of the time I have no choice.
>>
>>45547264
I feel like you're talking abou tthe stores near me. Are you in SE Mass?
>>
>>45547336
Nor cal actually

But it seems like commonplace that there's always that one shop with the elitists inner circle
>>
>>45542932
Why does equipment suck this standard?
>>
>>45547957
Yes.
Equipment have never been good except when you can cheat them into play/cheat the equip cost
because you're likely committing 1 turn to play it then 1 turn to equip it. And not adding anything to the board
>>
File: MONO RED TIL IM DED.png (1011 KB, 1444x828) Image search: [Google]
MONO RED TIL IM DED.png
1011 KB, 1444x828
REDGUYS
>>
anyone with xmage wanna try to play a match, just got it and want to test it out.
>>
>"anon! You should play magic with me!"
>he let's me go through his cards and build a deck
>"alright, let's see how you did"
>he plays some deck that plays four colors and collected companies
>I get absolutely shit on 5 games in a row
>every time he wins, he smiles smugly or giggles and says some shit like "you almost had me that game" or "that's not a bad deck you brewed up, anon"
>my face the entire time
>>
>>45552608
We always play cube for this reason. Of course decks that has been worked on and altered will be way better. You're friend is a dick.
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.