[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Exalted General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 2
File: 1248507109950.jpg (300 KB, 799x1100) Image search: [Google]
1248507109950.jpg
300 KB, 799x1100
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e
>>
Our group got couple of tons of Orichalcum and now we are creating a currency in a 2.5 campaign.
We did some negotiations with guild and we will try to spread our currency through all of the threshold, the fact that one of our solars has Cult 5 helps us even more because he will enforce orichalcum currency trade within the church and also will influence all of the followers of the cult so that they use the currency too.
What dangers are we going to face soon? How buttmad is empire going to get when they hear of an Orchicalcum currency?
>>
File: Yulan Anima.png (1 MB, 1246x1557) Image search: [Google]
Yulan Anima.png
1 MB, 1246x1557
bump with my characters sketch
>>
>>45296857

Money is literally the least valuable thing you can make out of orichalcum, and a couple tons isn't going to make even the fraction of the coinage needed to have it spread further than your backyard, so the Realm's mostly going to laugh their asses off and make wanking gestures in your direction.
>>
>>45297091
I should clarify that when I mean couple of tons I mean probably near 50 tons
I guess GM is retarded in that case because he said that 50 tons would be enough to start a currency seeing how rare Orichalcum is compared to rest of the shit and that provided we get more resources and Orichalcum later it can become a powerful currency
It's also going to be paper bills that depend on Orichalcum while Orichalcum itself will be stored in a bank/warehouse built arround manse under Nexus
Also we will refuse to trade Jade for Orichalcum to fuck with Empire
>>
>>45297055

Seems pretty good. Evocative, even. Got to ask though, why isn't his caste mark gold?

>>45296857

Coinage is a large waste of Orichalcum. One option is that they introduce a paper alternative so they can take it and make artefacts, another is to make exchange rates highly in their own favour, or they could alternatively make your currency worthless by flooding the economy with counterfeits.

>>45297304

>I should clarify that when I mean couple of tons I mean probably near 50 tons

A ton of feathers weighs the same as a ton of rocks, but there is an order of magnitude more feathers than there are rocks.

>rare Orichalcum is compared to rest of the shit and that provided we get more resources and Orichalcum later it can become a powerful currency

Orichalcum can be created from standard gold using specialized equipment and an active volcano. It wouldn't be too difficult to use a Sorcerous Working to create a creaturewho can create Orichalcum at a reasonable pace. Starmetal is the super-rare MM.
>>
>>45296857
I seriously feel like the suggested reading for Exalted GMs should have books on antiquity, economy and politics.
>>
How does one go about making the undead for 3e?
>>
>>45298425
I cheated a bit. He is a buttmad mongolianish berserk character that will eventually strive to become a Khan of the world...nothing original I know, but I like his anima to how this lava-ish glow. I do this for his anima and sort of cheat in the same way for his caste mark which is golden near the center but has redish glow around.
>>
>>45299649

There's a hearthstone that raises one at a time, the Necromancer Abyssal from the leak could raise a Size (successes / 2) battlegroup of them with (Size x 2) days of work, via a Charm. I also wouldn't put it past Thaumaturgy to make some shitty zombozos.
>>
My 2.5 game is replacing 2.5 mass combat with 3e's battle groups. Should we replace the 2.5 War charms with 3e's War charms for compatibility, or do they mesh already?
>>
>>45302712

They might mesh, if only because 2.5e's War Charms went out of their way to not interact with the mass combat rules more than they absolutely had to, but that in of itself is a reason to use 3e's.
>>
Anyone have any experience running a game with a ST and only one or two players? If so, how well does it work?
I've been reading the 3rd edition book and it looks pretty fun, but I only have a handful of friends into tabletop, and they've only played D&D.
>>
>>45304547

In my experience, smaller parties work great for Exalted, because there's less tension on getting everyone's personal goals to align, and it's more likely that a problem will come up that nobody in the party has a specialty with, and so the Exalts have to get a little creative.
>>
>>45304547
Our group started with just two players and honestly I preferred it. It's much easier for the GM to tailor stories.
>>
>>45304547
One player is great if its your gf/bf/whatever. Otherwise it just gets awkward a lot, real quick, in my experience.
>>
>>45304547
I've run with two to five players, with plenty of Side Roleplay with one on one experiences for a couple of my players. It works pretty great with about 2 to 3 players in my experience. Once you get up to 4 and 5 it's hard to make sure EVERYONE gets to do stuff, but it's still pretty fun.
>>
>>45305652
Shit group detected.
4 players, constant roleplaying and everyone gets to do shit.
If you are a player start conversations with other players constantly until they get used to it and do it themselves.
If you are GM create situations where they are forced to roleplay to figure shit out or get out of a situation.
After 5 or so sessions everyone will be roleplaying all day every day, full on talks with discussions and emotions and getting happy/mad/everything.
>>
>>45305652
Had a game with 8 players and 1 GM and it still worked out fine and fun.
>>
>>45305856
My players tend to specialize a lot and like to each take the spotlight, I do try to get everyone in on things. They like to split off a lot as well, and 1 person will tend to take control of each situation. Everyone has fun. I don't know why I'm getting hate here.

>>45305936
I never said it couldn't be fun. Maybe my players are just more adamant about having the spotlight on specifically themselves at one time.
>>
>>45305966
>split
Found your problem.
Never do splits in fantasy games where there is one party. Splits are fine (but dangerous and will probably get you killed ) in WoD or Call of Cthulhu, games like that where it's in a modern or close to modern world and everyone is more self centered anyway and so is the world around them.
With people splitting left and right in fantasy games where there is one party of 5 guys you will never get proper roleplay, at least not the kind of roleplay you or your players want. Look over fantasy novels or tv shows, teams almost always walk together and splitting is usually a special thing.
>>
>>45306133
Any suggestions on how exactly i'm supposed to do that without railroading? Everyone has their own goals but I find it a big putoff if suddenly you can't leave the city because reasons.
>>
>>45306318
I hate railroading too, but in fantasy games where players walk in a party I usually sort of divide game up into combat time and roleplay time, sort of in a way you would go dungeoneering and then go to an inn in ADnD
I find it that after a big encounter once players return to the city they can usually handle all of their solo shit in 20 minutes max, they go shopping, read up something in a library, maybe visit one NPC and have some talk, whatever, after that they will just meet up somewhere and roleplay between each other.
To do this I usually indicate
>Now would be a good time to finish off your personal business
Or
>Okay, now that you are all together it would be a good time to discuss shit
I technically do not force them to do anything and if they want to they can just ignore it, but comments like that sort of put my players in a certain mood for a certain type of play.

I guess it also really depends on a group, but my suggestion would be to just try and sort of divide the game into multiple sections in your mind and try to indicate said sections to your players in one way or another without really fucking their freedom.

No input full sandbox mode is again best reserves for Call of Cthulhu or WoD or low level fantasy games where your players do not really care about some major story and just want to wander around being mercenaries/whatever and want to forge their own story. In a plot-centric super high fantasy game with players being more powerful than gods games like Exalted it has to flow in a certain way not to turn into a clusterfuck because players in this world are the center of the world and everything depends on and can be changed by their actions.
>>
>>45306133

What fantasy books have you read where the party doesn't split? Tolkien? Nope. Feist? Nope. Eddings? Nope. Jordan? Nope. Sanderson? Nope.

I'm struggling to remember any fantasy books I've read where the party has remained a single unit through the whole narrative, and I've read quite a few.
>>
>>45306499
>No input full sandbox mode is again best reserves for Call of Cthulhu or WoD or low level fantasy games where your players do not really care about some major story and just want to wander around being mercenaries/whatever and want to forge their own story.

I think you've gotten that backwards, at least insofar as Solars are concerned. The other Exalt types, you can wrangle into a story based on their splats existing power structure (orders from their Dynastic head of house for Dragonbloods, Silver Pact Elder for Lunars, Department Head for Sidereals, etc)

But Solars default playmode is literally "forge your own story". Trying to keep a Solar story on your previously-established plot inevitable ends in failure, in my experience.
>>
>>45308670
Party splits are easier to handle if only one person is telling the story. It gets complicated when six people are involved.
>>
What would you guys think is the best artifact to increase the efficiency of kicks or punches?
>>
>>45311065

Smashfists...?
>>
>>45311065
Smashfists for punch, God Kicking Boots for kicks.
>>
>>45311120
>>45311307
Thats all? There's not even some slightly better version of those in any of the books?
>>
>>45312121

Well, Perfected Kata Bracers technically exist in 2e, but any DM that allows those is probably just going to give you a blowjob anyway.

I think the fourfold demon arm in Infernals might be useful? But its rules are poorly-defined.
>>
>>45312121

Yeah, Exalted doesn't really do the loot treadmill. You have mortal weapons, and artifact weapons. If you want more, you need to buy charms, martial arts or evocations.
>>
>>45312121

You could always make an attempt at writing Evocations for them, or you could just lift the Dawn Fangs from the leak.

2e did have a four dot artefact called Perfected Kata Bracers which were very powerful due to the myriad of bonuses that they gave, but it might be difficult to port them.
>>
>>45312121
Exalted doesn't really do the whole +1-5 whatevers, if you want a different flavor of punch you got stuff like khatars or tiger claws, but getting better stuff is more done through charms or evocations
>>
Theoretical question that I might never use for a game, is an Adorjan-favored Defiler caste who wants to make an extremely deadly disease that only does anything when the infected talks a valid character idea? Most Adorjan charms make the user hate sound so it seems plausible.
>>
>>45312624

Kojima pls go.

But yes that's fine. A little narrow, but it works as a main-thrust goal, supported by other goals.
>>
>>45312121
It's a bit XP intensive, but the expansion charms for Fist of the Daystar will turn your bare hands into obscenely deadly weapons.
>>
If your attributes have been enhanced by charms (say, Strength Increasing Exercise) does the dice pool resulting from that increase count as being enhanced by charms?

For instance, if I have 5 strength, 5 athletics, and use SIE to bump strength to 7, is my full excellency str+ath pool:
- 20 (7 str, 5 ath, 8 excellency),
- 22 (7 str, 5 ath, 10 excellency) or
- 24 (7 str, 5 ath 12 excellency)?
>>
>>45313678
>If your attributes have been enhanced by charms (say, Strength Increasing Exercise) does the dice pool resulting from that increase count as being enhanced by charms?
Yes.
>>
>>45312185
>>45312201
>>45312207
>>45312317
>>45313480

Nevermind, found what I was looking for

Gauntlets of Distant Touch from wonders of the lost age + playing a Lunar (Claws of the Silvery Moon charm + Mutation blight Talons + Moonsilver tattoo Smashfists)

They should all stack legit according to the rules and together they make one hell of a nasty weapon with satisfying stats and the distinctive ability to deliver martial art moves at a range of essence x3 yards
>>
"Sent review notes on the fixed PDF from the Devs to Maria for what we all hope is the last pass as they caught very tiny things this time, working on getting an index for it."

Think it'll be out in time for Calibration?
>>
Anyone have a link to download the alchemical book for a 2e game? cant seem to find it.
>>
>>45313944
>Think it'll be out in time for Calibration?
Absolutely!

...which year's Calibration did you mean?
>>
what are some great 1st circle demons to summon for different uses. using 2.5 books.
>>
>>45297304
That could actually work. The core book says a single piece of Orichalcum jewelry is Resource 5, meaning that buying it would significantly lower the wealth of even the richest people around. If a single necklace is 20 grams, then you have 50 resource 5s for a ton. For 50 tons that's 2500 resource 5s. Single resource 5 is worth about 12 talents an year, so 2500 gives 30,000 talents an year.

The US gold stock back in 1862 was 60 tons. 50 tons of Orichalcum should be more than enough to start a currency.
>>
>>45315971
Any suggestions on how to make a bill that has some magical seal so that it can not be counterfeited or something like that?
>>
>>45315971
>>45316533
Also any alternatives to bills that would be ass effective and at the same time would be hard to counterfeit
We also need to find some way to prevent Empire from mass buy out of Orichalcum, they could come to our bank and demand to exchange bills for Orichalcum and then they would get tons of fucking super metal.
One thing we thought of was to ban Jade for Orichalcum trade.
>>
>>45300715
Looks rad. Come and tell us how he does some time.
>>
>>45309329
>Party splits are easier to handle if only one person is telling the story. It gets complicated when six people are involved.
Or if you dedicate the same amount of spotlight to both sub-teams. Right now my circle went off to deal with a Lunar warlord (who the ST is desperately pretending isn't Ma-Ha-Suchi) while my character stays home to deal with the political clusterfuck*.

*Setting is Marita, heart of the Hundred River Province, sometime after the Realm took it as a satrapy but way before it can settle comfortably.
>>
>>45315701
What are these "different uses"? What do you have in mind?
>>
>>45313944
Man, I still remember the time I could actually get excited at Ex3 progress updates. I just wish they got the damn core out at last so I could at least look forwards to the DB book.
>>
So, say you COULD convert Sidereal Charms into Alchemical replicas, what would they be made of?
>>
>>45319214

Starmetal and the tears your ST sheds as he eats another spoonful of your shit.
>>
Do you guys think a Solar could be a good antagonist for a Solar group?

The idea I had in mind was that he, after Exaltation, kinda went off the deep end. He took the whole "I am a glorious God-King who has divine right to rule over mortals from the strongest of all the Gods" thing and eventually warped it into "I am supreme, and anyone who opposes me is evil by default and must be destroyed". As such, he has lead a violent campaign with his mortal followers across the Threshold: anybody who opposes him is slaughtered without mercy, for if they do not recognize his golden glory, then they deserve nothing but death. He is completely blind to the fact that he's nothing more than a genocidal tyrant. In his mind, since he is a Solar, everything he does is righteous by default no matter how horrible it is in reality.
>>
>>45320257
You mean, like every other Solar?
>>
>>45320257
>>45320290
Yeah, I've gotta say, that sounds like a player character.
>>
>>45320290
Most Solars are not insane religious zealots razing the Threshold.

I should mention that this guy is so crazy that he murdered his Lunar mate and stole her artifact Jian when she told him that Lunars and Solars are supposed to be equals (or at least work together).

>>45320354
Jesus are most Exalted players this bad?

Well, perhaps he could be useful as a deconstruction (yes, I know how overused that word is) of the typical Murderhobo Solar, in a "this is who you could become if you don't keep yourself in check" way.
>>
>>45320385
>>45320257
Sounds like a Solar to me.
>>
>>45320385
>Most Solars are not insane religious zealots razing the Threshold.
Sure, but I don't think most people care that much about any particular Solar's motivation for razing the Threshold.

Anyways, yes, a Solar definitely can make a good antagonist for a Solar circle. They work as well in that role as any other powerful entity.
>>
>>45316785
recently he had his hand chopped off by an Abysal and I hope to get clockwork hand...from somewhere
>>
So, Exalted has always fascinated me and I absolutely love the general concept. I've gotten the 3e books but I'm left somewhat stumped on how to really... run this.

Does anyone know any handy beginners guides to 3e? Especially for a GM who's never run Exalted before.
>>
>>45320791
Couple tips from me: Find out where your players want to start, and what some general goals would be for their characters. Players are basically the center of the world in exalted because of how much power they're given. After you have a basic idea of what everyone would want to do, find a direction you like and that would fit that general scheme.

If they want something fighty maybe start them out somewhere that war is likely, like the 100 kingdoms.
>>
>>45320791

Ex3 isn't out yet. So no.
>>
>>45320791
Oh also, plan ahead only one or two steps for what your players might do, then plan another few steps one and two. Solars tend to break your plans over their knees.
>>
>>45320791

The big points are:
1) Focus on the characters. Exalted isn't really a game where the plot drags the PCs along; they're the ones who grab the chain of events by the short and curlies and yank it around--for better or worse, so have events that key off people and things they care about to begin with, or else they're going to go find things they do care about.

2) In terms of actual obstacles, the players are going to demolish the vast majority that fall into their specialties. And that's okay. Don't freak out and immediately escalate things when the Dawn turns a zombie army inside out on the first turn, or when the Zenith overturns an angry mob into his religious fanatics. Now, when they slam headlong into other Exalts or high-tier demons/undead, that is when things get difficult.

3) Instead, focus on consequences. The fallout and messy "can't throw dice at this" aspects of problems. Sure, he's got a bunch of crazy-loyal followers, but how does he plan to feed them? Shelter them? What of their past lives; the town they used to live in, now deprived of a huge workforce?

That isn't to say PUNISH them. Consequences are not a slap on the ass, they're just that: consequences. The thing that happens in response to the PCs' actions. If the Zenith is fine with the village starving to death, then that's just who the Zenith is. But if you DON'T have that village starve to death, you're effectively complicit in the Zenith's delusion.

In terms of mechanical advice: don't try to memorize everything your PCs can do. You'll drive yourself mad and it won't do you any good. Just know, generally, what their strengths and weaknesses are. By the same token, QCs are a great model for statting NPCs. "Slap down some dicepools, 2-10 signature Charms, and let the rest take care of itself."
>>
>>45320849
>>45320849
Well yeah, but what with the thread having a link to it at the top I thought it wasn't unreasonable that someone might have written a guide for it.

>>45320846
>>45320861
>>45320907
Thanks a lot for this. Is there any setting material beyond what's currently in the book? I heard the setting changed a fair bit since 2e. I'm just trying to find stuff to help give me some inspiration for how to really run stuff in this setting.
>>
>>45320987

>Well yeah, but what with the thread having a link to it at the top I thought it wasn't unreasonable that someone might have written a guide for it.

Backer PDF. Released to a select few and leaked to everyone else. The game technically isn't out. Nevertheless, the three people you replied to have good advice.
>>
>>45320987
>Is there any setting material beyond what's currently in the book?

In general, going back to the 1E books is probably going to give you a better idea of what the 3E setting will be like, but in lieu of that the 2E books also suffice, just ignore anything that sounds like a scientific or pseudoscientific explanation for a mythical thing.

Other than that, no, just the 3E core.
>>
>>45320987
The setting HAS changed a bit from 2e, but for the directions, unless you want to make up a lot of stuff, it's best to use the 2e setting books to fill in the gaps. A lot of it is still applicable, cross reference them to the 3e book and use your own judgement on what you like and don't like. I have a game going on in the east right now in Jiara, I had to fill in a good bit on what it is and such. There is technically a canon Zenith who is the crown princess of Jiara, but I felt that given what my players wanted to do she wasn't necessary. So I axed her.

As for the rest of the east I still keep things that fit the basic idea of 3e. In 2e for example, Lookshy has a massive stock of magitech weapons and warstriders and the like. In 3e magitech was kind of axed. Artifacts still exist with the themes of magitech but they're not covered under a catch all term like that. Warstriders also exist still but they're being hyped up as a big special thing for Arms of the Chosen. As such I ruled that Lookshy would still have a massive stockpile of weapons, but they wouldn't just be magitech, they'd be powerful first age artifice. They'd also probably have one or two Warstriders as well. Until I actually see arms of the chosen I kind of have to make stuff up as I go for the latter.

I guess the best thing I can say is, use your gut and try and go off what is reasonable based on what you've read in the 3e book. In my experience I messed up a lot in my first campaign. You get better as you run and get a feel for the setting. It's hard to memorize EVERYTHING in all the books, especially settingwise. Creation is a massive place too, so it's absolutely fair to completely make a random city where you feel it's appropriate.Bottom line is, just do your best.
>>
>>45317327
>Or if you dedicate the same amount of spotlight to both sub-teams
Having people sitting at the table not doing anything is death for a game. People rapidly lose interest. It's absolutely one of Exalted's biggest problems, although Exalted is by no means alone in this problem. It's endemic with most older game engines; they're simply not designed for the attention spans of modern people.
>>
>>45321107
>it's best to use the 2e setting books to fill in the gaps.
Nope. This guy has it right: >>45321047
>>
>>45321367
Yeah, I guess you're right, for the setting at least. Just don't look at the lunar lore.
>>
>>45321452
>Just don't look at the lunar lore.
Yeah, 1e had some real stinkers in places.
>>
>>45320385
>Most Solars are not insane religious zealots razing the Threshold.
While being an insane religious zealot isn't common for Solars, razing the Threshold is.

As it happens there are a lot of valid reasons to want to raze the Threshold.
>>
>>45322000
I'm not talking about bringing down corrupt kingdoms and liberating people.

This guy was more "walk up to a village, demand that they all bow down and follow you, and burninate EVERYTHING if they refuse"
>>
>>45322235
Oh I actually am running a character somewhat like that. She believes that Creation is truly hers to rule as she sees fit. Currently she realizes she doesn't quite have the power to do what you suggested, but later on it really will be akin to: "I will rule creation, with or without you. Kneel to the Crown or I will crush you under my heel."
>>
>>45322235
Yeah, that sounds pretty Solar-like. Or like any other conqueror, really. It's not particularly strange, rare or thematically inappropriate.
>>
>>45322235
>I'm not talking about bringing down corrupt kingdoms and liberating people.

>This guy was more "walk up to a village, demand that they all bow down and follow you, and burninate EVERYTHING if they refuse"

Even Solars who bring down corrupt kingdoms and liberate people bloody their hands doing it, one way or another. From the perspective of the person on the other side, it doesn't make much of a difference why it's happening.
>>
>>45323538
Especially considering that 'corrupt' is kind of a vague term.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.