[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> Floor rolls? Rerolls? > Rolls behind the screen, or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 4
File: 50f78001da79c.preview-620.jpg (97 KB, 620x426) Image search: [Google]
50f78001da79c.preview-620.jpg
97 KB, 620x426
> Floor rolls? Rerolls?

> Rolls behind the screen, or in front of the players?

> What do you do when someone remembers a penalty or bonus to a dice pool after the fact?

House rules and rolling policies thread.
>>
>>45281746
No Jumanjis. The dice must be rolled on the table

they must be rolled when you intended to (if you roll a handful of dice and one slips out early it doesn't count)

Dice must land completely flat or they do not count (aka, getting slightly angled off something)

Remembering penalties/bonuses after the roll is fine as long as you remember before the next turn
>>
>>45281746
Floor rolls only count if everyone can quickly and easily see it. Behind the screen is fine too. The GM has the right to hide shit from you, that's what the shield is for, after all.
>>
Floor rolls: the dice land as they land where they land; DON'T FUCKING TOUCH THEM UNTIL I SEE THEM KEVEN

Behind the screen for the stuff the PCs don't do/aren't aware of, Players roll rolls for things the PCs do/control/influence.

Depends on how long after; I may given them a re-roll if it's a truly significant mater and they remember right away; especially if it's my bad. If it's turns/rounds/in-game hours later, or if it's a "whatever," task/event being rolled for I usually just either say "okay, they did it then," or, "It's too late now, sorry. I'll make a note of it for next time though."
>>
On the floor: Retrieve it from the cat and re-roll.

Cocked die: Reroll.

Forgot a bonus: Spaced and forgot to use the technique that grants the bonus. Unmodded roll stands. (I'll let it slide once or twice, but if it's one person constantly doing it, I'll ban it for everybody.)

Symmetrical dice stacking: If you're bored, I can throw more goblins into the fight.

DM always rolls behind the screen. Stealth checks and other player rolls where the result isn't immediately obvious are rolled by the DM. Behind the screen.

Players otherwise roll in front of everybody. Kevin doesn't get to roll behind his hand and say he got a 17. Roll it again where we can see it, Kev.

DM has copies of the players sheets. DM looks at the sheets before play starts to double-check everything's kosher. DM copies character sheets into his notes at the end of play after xp have been handed out and allocated.

Whoever's hosting this week usually serves dinner, or at least orders pizza. Play doesn't start until everyone's done eating proper food. Chips and drinks only at the table when play is in session.

Smokers step outside. DM can limit smoke breaks to once every hour and a half or so.
>>
>>45281964
>>45282121

Why is it always Kevin?
>>
>>45282153

Fuck Kevin, that's why.
>>
>>45281746
> Floor rolls? Rerolls?
Any die that lands on the floor automatically becomes the least preferable result in my DnD group. In my WH40K group, any roll that is doubtful is re-rolled unless someone calls 'valid!' well before the die stops moving.

I prefer to roll behind the screen. I try to let players know as little as possible that their characters wouldn't, so I tend to roll for them a lot of times.

> What do you do when someone remembers a penalty or bonus to a dice pool after the fact?
If a bonus doesn't require turning back time on anything else, it's accepted. Evidence will be asked if it's for something important. However, if someone forgets the same thing again the same day, they don't get to add it retroactively.

In the case of penalties, we'll try to fix it on the spot if it doesn't require turning back time. If it does, we apply the penalty to the next roll for the same thing instead.
>>
>>45281964
You have a shitty Kevin too?
>>
>>45282121

If the DM notices a player has forgotten a bonus, he can, and probably should--but does not have to--point it out to the player.
>>
>>45281746
>If another saw it it's fine
>Behind or in front, depends on context (combat in front for example)
>I decide on the go. It usually depends if people are a pain in the ass or a great player. if it's more than 1-2 dice I usually make them reroll though

House rules, dice are fine as long as long as they are still and flat in regards to whatever they dropped on, even if its angled or whatever.
I use sometimes use dice to punish reward bad and fun players by letting them keep or reroll cocked dice and such
>>
>>45281746
If you catch it before it hits the floor you can reroll. If it hits the floor and lands flat count it. If you can move an object keeping it at an angle away from the die to have it drop flat use that value.

If you forget a bonus before your turn ends you're SOL. Others can and are encouraged to remind players what bonuses they have from various effects.

Will isn't allowed to use his baby-eye d20 while DMing unless he wants a TPK in the first 5 rounds of combat. (rolls a disgusting number of nat 20's)

A roll without intent declared beforehand doesn't count for anything (so you can roll for fun)
>>
>its not the dice roll that matters, its the sound the dm makes
certain rolls are made by the players, others are made by me. if we are having shitty rolls that night, I will nudge towards being helpful.
>>
any die that goes off the rolling surface or lands without one face having full contact with the rolling surface is invalid and should be rerolled

DM should roll behind the screen for things the players don't know or if they need to fudge numbers to keep things interesting

if they only remember after the next turn has started it sucks to be them
>>
Floor rolls are rerolled, and I stopped using a screen about ten years ago and never felt like I wanted it back.

Forgotten bonuses are case-by-case. I trust my players (and I'm usually the one to notice) so it usually works out in their favor. I have had one player who actually would try to cheat, though. With him, I'd be a bit more strict about stuff.
>>
>>45281746
Rolls on the floor count as the worst possible roll for the situation. This goes for DM and players. If you can't roll on the giant table we play on then you will suffer the do as consequences. I play by my own rules and I've had bosses fumble attacks because I dropped the die.

Bonuses are acceptable because in 3.x there are a fuck ton of them.
>>
A dice is cocked if you cannot balance the same sized die on the face that is up.

Reroll cocked dice.

If you want to count a floor dice, say 'count it' before it hits or comes to a rest. Otherwise reroll floor dice.

The group says 'dice check' when they get several bad roll sin a row and use it like a fate point/reroll. They all seem to approve of it, but I find it to be some bullshit so I never use it.
>>
>Floor rolls
Unacceptable. Roll again, this time on the table

>Rolls behing the screen or in front of the players
Well, it really depends. Both are okay, I guess, but I have never GM'd a game where ALL my rolls were done behind the screen. People do that?

>remembering bonuses after the fact
I'll let them roll, unless it creates the need to go back in time to fix mistakes. That doesn't happen.
>>
>>45281746

If they roll on the floor they should reroll them.
Rerolls in general only happen if the die lands on a corner somehow (happens surprisingly often if there is lots of shit scattered around the table)
I always roll in front of my players. Rolling behind screens is for bad GMs who fudge rolls.
I've never had a player forget a modifier and be vocal about it before, but if they were to, I would allow them to add it after the fact.
If players are rolling their dice in a way which I can't see it and are obviously fudging their rolls, I force them to roll in the Shame Box, a cardboards box lid I keep in the middle of the table.
>>
>>45281746
> Floor rolls?
On the floor means that that die is rolled again.

Depending on who I'm GMing for, I usually roll in front of my good group, my bad group annoys me too much

>For fucks sake Mike,stop trying to change shit retroactively.
But I usually let them add or subtract bonuses or penalties if it's within a resonable period of time. Though I might give them a slightly annoyed look.
>>
>>45282351

Kevin now confirmed shorthand for dice cheaters.
>>
>>45281746
>Floor rolls?
Whatever it lands on is what it lands on. If someone kicks it before its recovered and the result is noted, roll again. Exploitation of this will be met with you being forced to roll into a fucking pot so I can know you're not fucking with them.

>Rerolls?
Generally unless theres a mechanical reason, its a no. If its sufficiently obvious that something influenced the roll, though, then sure. Like a die that rolls under a couch might not turn up properly, for example.

>Rolls behind the screen, or in front of the players?
I dont have a screen so generally in public but I dont tell them the DCs or what Im rolling for. Sometimes I'll move aside to roll but thats a rarity

>What do you do when someone remembers a penalty or bonus to a dice pool after the fact?
If they remember while its still their turn or on the turn the action is being undertaken, the result is amended. If not, tough shit.

I make sure I have a copy of their sheets to minimise exploitation of this.
>>
Floor rolls MUST be re-rolled. Discontinue gaming with any who say otherwise.

The table is not just there to make retrieval of rolled dice easier. When you play a game at a table, you are making an implicit agreement to certain standards of sportsmanship and civility.
>>
>>45281746

Floor rolls are re-rolls. Any rolls that aren't perfectly flat and obvious are re-rolls.

In combat I roll things in plain view. Out of combat I roll things behind my screen (though I'll often houserule things like perception checks into oblivion and puts hints into my scene descriptions instead). I also announce armor class and other target values prior to (or during) rolls. I want my players to know that I'm playing straight, especially combat. It's one of those things I want the dice to decide, not me. I just set the odds.

If a player remembers some forgotten modifiers before results are announced that's fine. If not, the result stands. If something has benefited or hindered the players for a while ("I forgot my sword gives me +1 to-hit for the last five sessions...") I reserve the right to apply a semi-permanent karma modifier in the spirit of offsetting that.
>>
>>45282153

Sometimes its Keven too.
>>
>>45281746
> Floor rolls? Rerolls?
Usually rerolls, but for when I'm going to start GMing again, I'm going to make a rolling box to avoid disturbances.
>>No dice falling from the table
>>No dice messing with minis and shit
>>No missing dice
>>No 'accidental' fudging
>>No oddly placed/inclined dice
It already feels good...

Ehh, I have never had problems with rolling in front of them. If I have to fudge in their favour I don't need to hide the results, as long as they can't read my mind. And I'd never fudge against them, if my carefully planned important encounter ends with a lucky critical on turn one, well, I'll just prepare the next one a bit better.

Depends how long after. If we're still resolving the action, it's fine to correct I guess. If it's immediately after ... well, it depends. If half a round has passed, fuck no, you'll remember next time <3
>>
>>45282904
Also most floors, even the smoothest ones, still have some sort of texture (gaps between planks, tiles, etc.) that would be undesirable for the surface of a gaming table. If it's not good enough to roll on on purpose, it's damn sure not good enough to roll on by accident.

Ok... So I guess maybe if your roll goes off the table and lands on a superior-quality, shorter gaming table... I could see that being alright if a majority of players consent to it.
>>
>>45283352
Honestly, the chances of any of my group being able to calculate shit and use it to cheat is so low that I dont care. They gotta use their own dice if they do it repeatedly though, Ive only got one set.

Seriously though, why the hate for floor rolls? I dont understand it.
>>
>>45283400
I don't hate floor rolls, I just don't like the disturbance and loss of time it brings to the table to have to check and pick a die every two turns (that's because two of my five players are clumsy as fuck). This is why I'll introduce a rolling box.
>>
>>45283485
I get that. I more meant why some people insist on re-rolling it. Obviously I asked the wrong person though, sorry.
>>
>>45281746
Dices must roll at the table.

Rolls always in front of the table, except when it's reasonable for the DM to argue that they shouldn't know the result (for example because they don't know what you're rolling). This only works if there's mutual trust, but that should not be a problem, you're playing with your friends.

>What do you do when someone remembers a penalty or bonus to a dice pool after the fact?

If he remembers it just after the roll, it's applied. He cannot change his action. If he remembers it later, when the story has already advanced and for example we're rolling for the same, we obviously don't get back in time. It's up to me to decide if we're gonna just ignore that bonus/penalty or we will start applying it now but I normally let the players decide.

In general it's hard to have serious discussions about that kind of shit even if you're kinda arbitrary as long as your chaotic DM dice rules benefit the players.
>>
>>45283400
Just discarding all floor rolls prevents the "Heisenberg's uncertainity lich" scenario where a die ends up rolling behind a bookshelf or some other hard to reach place and you can't see what the roll is without disturbing the die and altering the roll.
If all rolls on the floor are rerolled anyway, disturbing the die doesn't matter, but if they stand than it could mean the difference between life and death for the character.
>>
>>45283628
Rolls always in front of the players, I mean.
>>
>>45283400
>Seriously though, why the hate for floor rolls? I dont understand it.

It's not a real roll, the dice just fell to the ground. When something falls to the grown, you pick it and put in where it should be (in this case, the player's hand).

It's not like I care that much, but it's a mess to make me get up and see what number you got everytime you roll like you have parkinson.
>>
>>45283692
See, I just tend to deal with shit on a case by case basis. If I can see the entire roll and know it wasn't disturbed by anyone, cool. If not, reroll.

My only issue with floor rolls would be the risk of someone stepping on my dice.

>>45283760
But if a roll precedes it, surely its still a roll. I mean, it doesn't stop being a roll because it fell. Its still tumbling as it falls.

But yeah, I can understand not wanting to go dice hunting. Usually if a dude does it a few times in one session I start making them roll into a fucking bowl. Removes the issue entirely.
>>
>>45283804
>But if a roll precedes it, surely its still a roll. I mean, it doesn't stop being a roll because it fell. Its still tumbling as it falls.
Yeah, I have nothing philosophically against floor rolls. If a die happens to fall, I'm fine with either rerolling or keeping the result - as long as it's clear before it stops.
>>
>>45283914
Fair enough. Evidently I misunderstood, my apologies.
>>
>>45281746
All player rolls are on the table, in plain view of every player and the GM. The GM may roll secretly only when it's something made to be secret, such as bluff checks and random encounter rolls. Dice must roll flat and can't be 'scooped up' until everyone has had a chance to see the result.

I once had a player who would roll and then scoop it up within one second of rolling. Realized pretty quickly that he was just calling whatever numbers he wanted, and shut him down immediately.
>>
>>45283519

I go for re-rolling just to avoid discussing if every roll is valid or not. It wastes time and gets people into fussy scenarios where they have a slightly tilted die behind Kevin's shoe that's a critical or something.

On the table and flat = valid, otherwise not. Simple.
>>
>>45283804
>But if a roll precedes it, surely its still a roll. I mean, it doesn't stop being a roll because it fell. Its still tumbling as it falls.

Well, it's a roll in the sense that the dice rolled of course, but it's not a roll in the sense of an act in the game. In my language we call it something like "throw" instead of roll and nobody is gonna argue that my roll counts if I throw the dice to the street through the window.

Of course in the end it's all just about avoiding stupid situations and arguments. Sometimes we (or some of us) play in the ground so I don't understand or care about autistic shit about textures of the surface. It's just easier to determine first that dices in the ground don't count if you're playing on a table. I think this is the origin of this non-written rule, and everything else is just people being autistic.
>>
>>45284009
>>45284057
I guess I'll just count myself lucky to have not encountered the sort of people that would start major arguments over that sort of shit.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your reasoning.
>>
Roll on the table, please
Any die that is caught between two tables, or the fold of a book, or the like, is considered "cocked" and must be rerolled. I don't care if it's a 20.
No grabbing your dice the second they stop rolling, and declare your result. I must be able to confirm your result if I so desire.
I'm not responsible for remembering your bonuses. But I will remind you of ambient situational bonuses.
>>
>>45281746
> Floor rolls? Rerolls?
Off the table, you're rerolling.
Always behind the screen. None of the players' business what I rolled or what modifiers were thrown in, etc.
I have running the entire game to worry about, you got one character. You can't remember your bonuses, too bad.
They should really remember any status ailments or whatever that give them penalties, but players are dishonest so they never do.
>>
>>45284114
>sort of people that would start major arguments

Who said anything about major arguments?

It's simply about clarity. If X, do Y. No need to discuss or interpret what's going on.
>>
>>45284394
Obviously Im less strict than you on the whole then. I assumed the reason such things were necessary was from fear of someone arguing over it for an extended period.

I generally speaking don't have any issue with discussion or interpretation either, admittedly. Im the DM, my players know that what counts and what doesn't is down to my discretion by mutual agreement. When they DM, they have the precise same powers and are afforded the same.

Lots of trust went into that but then we all know each other a while outside of gaming anyway.
>>
For me,

Floor is reroll. Most people don't have the dice land on the floor, only some (I'm looking at you Kevin)

If the die is cocked and it is even the slighted bit ambiguous which side is up, reroll. Rather than throwing your dice across the table please roll in a flat area where this doesn't happen!

Accidental rolls stand. Most people make several rolls rather than a big fistful of dice so this doesn't happen. I keep suggesting to Kevin that he do this but he insists making one roll where the dice go everywhere and have to be rolled half the time is faster than making two quick rolls.

dice hitting models - the cardinal sin. Don't ever do this!
>>
>>45282351
EVERYONE knows a shitty Kevin.
>>
>>45281746

>Floor Rolls
Die is rolled again. I've put a "rolled with -2" rule when it becomes extremely frequent with certain players, then lift it when it stops.

Lately done more behind the screen with 5e, but mainly roll in front of players. Can terrify new players.

>Penalties or bonus to a dice pool after the fact?
I let people apply modifiers after. This is a good reason why I dislike dice pool systems, as people forget frequently.

>Roll across the board knocking everything over and hitting things
Worst possible roll for the situation.
>>
>>45282659
>>45283264
>>45284660

Ours was Gavin. I think it must just be that last syllable that ruins them
>>
>>45281746
>Floor Rolls? Rerolls?
If it leaves the table, it requires a reroll.

The screen is there for a reason. All dm rolls are behind the screen, players should only know what their characters would about the situation.

Before the end of their turn, If they succeeded, they reroll with the added bonus, if they failed, they may add the bonus and possibly succeed. If their turn has ended, it's usually a 'no,' but the less that would change, the more leniency.

>Misc
Computers and phones should be on a separate table or in a bag, may be used for reference, but shouldn't remain open.

XP is spent at the end of a session or before a session begins. Never during.
and
Dm copies of character sheets are the official copies.

We don't talk about the Screaming Warhawk.
>>
>>45284626
>If the die is cocked and it is even the slighted bit ambiguous which side is up, reroll. Rather than throwing your dice across the table please roll in a flat area where this doesn't happen!
This.
I always get a box or something so that player would roll into it.
>>
>>45284660
>always want to play table top RPG
>never get invited
>nobody shows when I organize
>now I know why

Do I have to get a name change to play, or am I cursed?
>>
>>45285629
Leave, Kevin. Leave and never return.
>>
>>45285698
This hurts more than it should.
>>
>>45285629
Try and get some friends together to play. If they're friends, it shouldn't matter.

Or just tell them the wrong name. You aint gotta tell them your actual name. Ive seen fuckheads on here that played under pseudonyms like Galathor and shit
>>
>>45285629
No Kevin, do not give up.
You might be the chosen Kevin to redeem all Kevins, past, present and future.
Endure the curse that is your name, Kevin. We know you can do it.
>>
>>45285730
I'm sorry. It's for the best.
>>
File: 2rqkd37.jpg (40 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
2rqkd37.jpg
40 KB, 800x450
>>45285798
I'll do it. For Kevins everywhere!
>>
>>45285885
Go Kevin, a mighty quest is ahead of you. The challenges will be harsh and relentless, but the prize is redempion, and eternal glory.

And if you have to fall, fall gloriously like Lucifer fell: if you can't gain redemption, you can gain fearful respect.

Now go, and shall songs be sang about the Kevin that challenged the Curse.
>>
Most of these are a case by case basis for us, but we have a general policy that fail roll streaks are offered mulligans
>>
>>45281746
>Reroll floor rolls
>DM/GM is free to conceal rolls behind screen as needed
>Die is cocked if another die cannot be placed on it without slipping off. These rolls must be rerolled.
>Rules forgotten after roll are just remembered for next time unless the roll was vital.
>>
File: 1447558283263.png (315 KB, 586x720) Image search: [Google]
1447558283263.png
315 KB, 586x720
>>45282378
>>
>>45281746
>Floor rolls?

How can you hit the target if you can't even hit the table?
>>
>>45286153
I have been considering a similar things
>Print a number of "bad luck" and a number of "good luck" coins on cardboard
>Whenever a player has a critical success, they get a good luck coin. Whenever they have a critical failure, they get a bad luck coin. If they should receive a coin but already have coins of the opposite 'sign', they instead remove one of the coins they already have (so if you have two bad lucks and make a critical success, you remove a bad luck)
>You may spend a bad luck coin to either reroll a bad (=below average) roll, or turn it to average automatically (ex. turn a 6- on 2d6 into a 7) BUT you may do so only if you have at least two bad luck coins.
>>
>>45282591
>A dice is cocked if you cannot balance the same sized die on the face that is up.

I see that you don't use d4s
>>
>>45285798

Kevin is a very common name in the English speaking world. There are a lot of Kevins, so there are a lot of bad players named Kevin.

Same with annoying DMs named Eric. Really.
>>
>>45286408

Can a player reroll or low average a good roll (8+ becomes a 5 on 2d6, say?) to get rid of a good luck coin?

Not that I'd imagine any player actually doing this, but the option should be there.
>>
>>45286408
so what the hell do good luck coins do?
>>
>>45286629
Hmm, I'd say no. You would take some actions specifically to fail and give karma a shift in your direction, but you wouldn't to it with things that actually matter to you. So you'd see metagamers slowing down the game because they want to attempt stupid stuff that they can deliberately fail without negative repercussions just to exploit this system.
Since a player wouldn't normally take a bad roll on something he wants to succeed in and wouldn't make something he doesn't want to succeed in, I doubt there is any way this option could be used to improve the game.
(But I thought of that too originally and it took me some pondering on the system to come to this resolve, so I understand you asking).

Perhaps taking a critical failure that WILL have negative repercussions beyond 'you fail at this' could be allowed to redeem a good luck coin. Like, I try to seduce the barmaid and take a critical failure to redeem a coin. As a consequence, there's a brawl in the tavern, the party is no longer very welcome there and they earn a mild reputation of troublemakers in the village.
>>
>>45286653
They counter-balance bad luck coins. If you have two critical failures and three critical successes, you're not on a losing streak, you're being fucking lucky. Yet often people will consider only the evidence in their favour to determine wheter they're being lucky or unlucky. This system is meant to keep track of how lucky you're being and allow you to counterbalance a particularly negative streak.
>>
>>45286799
okay, they counter bad luck coins, but if having bad luck coins can be a positive (using them for the bonus), why would anyone ever want good luck coins?
>>
>>45286852
You don't want them :/
You get them as a side effect of a positive thing, that is a critical success. You have got your critical success, and the luck coin records that.
When you're being unlucky and having critical failures, bad luck tokens record your bad luck.
So if you're being generally VERY unlucky (so you've had so far two more critical failures than critical successes, and thus have at least two bad luck coins), you can mitigate that bad luck with the coins. Good luck coins just mean that no mitigation is needed.
>>
>>45286908
oh, ok. That seems a bit disappointing.
>>
>>45286929
I admit having 'good luck' tokens as something that doesn't benefit you and 'bad luck' tokens as the opposite may sound a bit counter-intuitive
>>
>>45287054
maybe there's something you can do with those tokens?
>>
>>45287140
But that's not the point. They're not meant to be used for something positive, they're meant to record a positive streak of luck that thus doesn't need 'mending' from outside mechanics.
>>
>>45287235
Yes, but from a player standpoint they're frustrating, I guarantee it.
>>
File: 1373732732843.jpg (5 KB, 250x172) Image search: [Google]
1373732732843.jpg
5 KB, 250x172
Floor rolls: Roll them again, this time without 50kN of thrust. Thx bb

Rolls behind screen: If I need to "conceal" a roll, I'm not going to roll, anyway. That's not something left up to dice, if I need to hide it.

Remembering bonus/malus: Grant once with a reminder.

This thread is reminding me to build LEGO dice tower.
>>
>>45287297
You get literally nothing bad from good luck coins compared to what you would get without the coins system. The whole system goes greatly in favour of players since there is absolutely zero drawbacks for them: we use the regular rules, and if they're being objectively unlucky they get rerolls.
>>
>>45287357
I think his point is that the seeming illogicality of it will annoy players.

But ultimately solving that is as simple as swapping the names so fuck it.
>>
>>45283519
I dunno, it just feels like the ball being moved out of the field. It counts as a foul, or a free kick, or being out of bounds, or whatever metaphor you like.
>>
>>45287592
I mean, if ya think about it, its just adding another element of randomisation to it in a way. And the dice are filling in for the RNG after all.
>>
>>45287691
We shouldn't stop at dice towers

We need turbo-tier Rube Goldberg dice funnels and elaborate machinery to spit our results
>>
>>45287755
Everyone knows real gamers run tubes around the building leading to the game table and roll their dice into a funnel on the roof that feeds into said tubes.
>>
>>45287339
It's weird that this thread took so many replies to mention a dice tower. Dice boxes/bowls don't count. (House rules.)
>>
>>45287982
They're fun, space-economic, and will never pollute the floor with D4s
>>
>>45282121
>Once every hour and a half
Jesus. I'm the only smoker in my group, a chain smoker to boot and I can still manage to keep my shit together for four hours if that's what the session takes to finish.

I'd be fucking pissed to have to wait for smokers every hour and a half. A smoking break should be limited to when someone else needs to make a phone call or there's a short group split where the player isn't needed.
>>
Off the table is ALWAYS a reroll. I roll 6 times as much as any of you, plus random encounters and on-your-toes-rolls, and never roll off. Learn to roll dice, I bought us a big table specifically for this, you have plenty of room. Anyone who wants can use one of my cups (or roll into a box, I totally emphasize with a dislike of cup rolling).

Cocked dice are always decided to the player's detriment, unless it hit something I need on the table. Don't leave your clutter all over our shared gaming space. If it hit something I need there, I'll let you decide what to do with it if I eyeball it over 30° cocked.

Bonuses have to be declared during your turn. I follow the same rule with my NPCs. I'll forgive forgotten penalties without applying them if it doesn't happen often, but my npcs will still be penalized if I forget theirs. Any smugness on the player's part will result in me smirking and chuckling maliciously. I don't actually do anything, but the extra tension can be nice if delicately directed.

I roll everything in the open. Players have to do the same. And no amount of poor circumstances will cause me to give out rerolls. That said, I have a houserule that no character dies on their first session. No one has been dumb enough to abuse it.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.