[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Great Wheel Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: 1449754409705.jpg (6 MB, 2365x2850) Image search: [Google]
1449754409705.jpg
6 MB, 2365x2850
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>For Anons
UA for this month: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/kits-old
Thanks to whoever is updating the mega

What specific piece of D&D content (Setting, module, specific sourcebook) do you most want to see officially adapted to 5e?
>>
Bring Greyhawk back.
>>
Is there a player's guide or suggested reading for starting Out of the Abyss as a player?
>>
>>45092402
I want Eberron and an actual Artificer class.
>>
>>45092402
Ravenloft, but like, a setting book not just an adventure.

Is there any rule preventing my gnome wizard to use the goliath barbarian as a mount?
>>
Rule question.

If you Crit (natural 20) when spell attack roll or range spell attack roll... does it follow the same rules as normal melee/range attack crit?
>>
>>45092574
Yes. If it has an attack roll it can crit.
>>
Would I somehow make dwarves OP by making them immune to being resurrected as zombies or skeletons? It's for a homebrew setting where the God that created dwarves also despises undead, thus keeping them from being resurrected ad abominations. Dwarves would otherwise be affected by necromancy.
>>
>>45092559
Have you play with the "Arcane Tradition" version of it. The level of utility makes it really awesome.
>>
>>45092588
Some let's say someone Crits with a cantrip spell.

Do the Damage Dice get rolled twice?
>>
>>45092559
An Eberron adventure is for sure in the works, going off what Perkins has said in an interview.

>more "pulpy"
>barbarian burial mounds
>you get an airship
>>
>>45092402
It hurts that there's basically no chance of Planescape receiving an official conversion.

Then again they'd probably fuck everything up if they did.
>>
>>45092574
>>45092626
Not if I were ruling it.
It's the difference between Cast A Spell and Attack that prevents a fighter from taking a multi-beam cantrip and slaughtering everything forever.
>>
>>45092626
Let me ask a question: can a spell attack crit?

What happens when an attack crits?

I feel like you already know the answers to these questions, especially since I already answered one for you.
>>
>>45092643

>tfw, against all odds, I actually found a Planescape 5e game
>tfw it's fun

Haven't got to play a Planescape game in like a decade, couldn't fucking believe my luck.
>>
>>45092626
Yes.

>>45092654
You're shit.
>>
When I DM, I usually improvise my ass off.
How do you guys basically sit down and hammer out at least the sheerest frame of a story?
>>
>>45092654
and you would be wrong
>>
File: airbud.jpg (20 KB, 333x200) Image search: [Google]
airbud.jpg
20 KB, 333x200
>>45092561
Ain't no rules says the dog can't play basketball
>>
>>45092654
Anon, cantrips deal less damage than a fighter because they don't get to add any ability mods to damage. Eldritch Blast is the exception, and is restricted to Warlocks, who get shafted on the spells-per-day and utility front, and even an Agonizing Eldritch Blast only deals as much damage as an unoptimized Fighter.

A Fighter that takes Eldritch Blast gains next to nothing.
>>
So since we're talking about crits, how do you guys prefer calculating crit damage? Rolling all damage dice twice, or rolling for damage and then doubling the number?
>>
>>45092745
Rolling all damage dice twice, like it is RAW. I see no reason to mess with it.
>>
Anyone have a link to a copy of Fifth Edition Foes?
>>
>>45092745
I like two rolls.
>>
>>45092731
Also firebolt, ray of frost, and shocking grasp. But only for Evocation Wizards.
>>
>>45092678
I've been kind of wanting to run one, but even with a good bit of existing material converted on the internet already it's still a lot of work.
>>
>>45092820
Those spells only make one attack roll, only hit once, and therefore only add the Wizard's Int mod to damage once. Contrarily, Fighters and Warlocks make up to four attack rolls (depending on level), and can add the relevant ability mod four times.
>>
>>45092682
>How do you guys basically sit down and hammer out at least the sheerest frame of a story?

I write out a few basic plot hooks, motivations for NPCs, a rough timeline of what's going to happen when if they PCs just fuck around and don't interact with the hooks, and a few rough branch ideas for ways the PCs can affect events. I mostly fill in the blanks with improvisation though.

Also I have a list of names and some generic statblocks prepared that I can apply seamlessly when some player inevitably starts up a conversation with some random flavor text NPC.
>>
>>45092869
As the guy that originally said, 'no', modifier's not to damage, friend.
But that's not the issue.
The issue is that 4 d10 beams deals a solid 18 damage and, with a Champion, any particular beam crits four times as often as a greatsword, at 120 feet.
Greatsword?
With the +5 mod cap, deals 17 damage maximum, 27 if you take a -5 to hit, and 39 if that hit is a maximized critical (though if you're getting into that territory, the beam deals 50 for maximum die and one beam critical hitting). Range is point blank.
Admittedly, Battlemasters benefit more.
>>
>>45092402
Has anyone even made any money through the DM's Guild?
>>
>>45092992
>Champion
>Improved Critical
>Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.
How are you getting your improved crit range on your spell attacks?

Just about the only ability Fighters can get that benefits Eldritch Blast is Close Quarters Shooter, and that's just because of how they worded it in the UA.
>>
>>45093068
WOTC, I'm sure.
>>
>>45093068
I've made around $50 through several PWYW titles, I'm waiting til the start of next month to grab from it. With classes going on it's hard to make stuff for it, so my shit gets pushed way to the back and fewer people pay for it.
>>
>>45093093
How many things have you put up on there?
>>
>>45092992
Actually, scratch >>45093072, I have literally no idea what you're trying to say. How would any particular beam crit four times as often as a greatsword? Are you assuming that the beams get an expanded crit range but the greatsword doesn't?

Would you please care to rephrase your argument?
>>
>>45093129
7 I think? I started putting stuff up there day one.
>>
File: 1443120588455.jpg (78 KB, 637x476) Image search: [Google]
1443120588455.jpg
78 KB, 637x476
> run 5e game
> players refuse to make maps
> players complain that they're always lost
> players pick fights that they clearly cannot win
> players intentionally trigger traps because not interacting with them is too difficult
> players complain that the game is too hard

This is the worst. Fuck everything. Guys, please tell me a story of your players being clever and successful.
>>
>>45092992
Are you comparing 4 Eldritcch blast beams to a single greatsword swing? If you are getting 4 beams you are at least level 17. A level 17 fighters get 3 attacks.
>>
>>45092493
yea
>>
>>45092992
jesus christ how stupid
>>
>>45093389
Why are you comparing four beams to one sword attack? Fighters get four attacks at 17th level.
>>
File: 1454034022217.png (363 KB, 398x600) Image search: [Google]
1454034022217.png
363 KB, 398x600
>>45093389
>>
>>45093138
>Four beams
>Each has a chance to crit, +1d10 damage per crit, for an average of 5.5 bonus damage per crit
>One sword attack
>One chance to crit, +2d6 damage per crit, for an average of 7.5 bonus damage
What I probably should have said is that on any given Eldritch blast, there are 4 chances for an extra 1d10 damage.
And to boot, this actually increases accuracy as well, because if one beam misses the other three can still hit (and crit), while you're out of luck if your greatsword misses.
Does that clarify things?
>>45093188
This is under the assumption that cantrips can be used for attacks (ergo, that a Fighter would gain nothing from Edlritch Blast >>45092731), which I don't think is correct (And I hope isn't taken as the general assumption).
Therefore for every greatsword attack, an Eldritch Blast could be cast in its place, under this (wrong) assumption.
Whether spells can critically hit is not directly connected to this, and I think I'll recount my stance on that particular point, assuming spells don't count as benefitting from Extra Attack.
>>45093418
>Why are you comparing four beams to one sword attack?
As stated before, this is under the assumption that cantrips can be used for attacks, which is wrong.
>>
>>45093173
talk to your group about it, and if that fails just find a new group

its a game and you're a player as much as anyone else, if you aren't enjoying it just leave and find a group you will enjoy it with
>>
>>45093389
>ergo
fuck off
>>
>>45093449
look dude go read the book and then come back here

but like

actually read it
>>
>>45093449
this fucking thread
>>
File: derpluigi.png (54 KB, 238x170) Image search: [Google]
derpluigi.png
54 KB, 238x170
>>45093173
> first time DMing after homebrewing a little bit
> player asks me to run a module from dragons magazine
> seemed little bit hard
> players were 4 levels lower than the adventure
> I try to balance the module for them
> player ask me not to since they want some challenge
> run the module
> dungeon time
> traps, puzzles and monsters are annihilating the players
> half of the PCs died within the first 2 hours
> survivor PCs flee from dungeon go back to town
> party recruits new adventures (new PCs from players that lost their characters)
> party do some side questing to gain exp and money
> players gear up, and after leveling up a couple of times they come back to the same dungeon
> they are more careful this time
> the satisfaction on their faces when after a few sessions they finally finished the module
> keep commenting on how much fun is to play with such a high risk of dying
> mfw before this I was super aware of not killing the players cos of fear they would stop playing
>>
>>45093449
>And to boot, this actually increases accuracy as well, because if one beam misses the other three can still hit (and crit), while you're out of luck if your greatsword misses.
>Does that clarify things?

>>45093449
>Why are you comparing four beams to one sword attack?
>As stated before, this is under the assumption that cantrips can be used for attacks, which is wrong.

Why the fuck are you contradicting yourself?
And no, you cannot cast multiple spells with extra attack.
>>
>>45093449
"Making An Attack
Weather you're striking with a melee weapon, firing a weapon at rage, or making a attack roll as part of a spell"
phb 193
>>
>>45093464
I'm trying to point out that cantrips can't be used as attacks under Extra Attack, and the implications of why this wouldn't work, by showing what would happen should it have been taken to be true.
That's all. I'm done.
>>45093553
>And no, you cannot cast multiple spells with extra attack.
Good, we agree.
Sorry for starting an argument over nothing, then.
>>
>>45093449
Casting a Spell, and Attack are separate actions. Extra Attack is specifically triggered by the Attack action. Why the fuck is the reading comprehension in 5e general so fucking low?

An Attack Roll is a separate concept. Some offensive spells trigger an attack roll. If an attack roll comes up 20 it's a critical hit. Spells that make an attack roll can critical hit.
>>
>>45093609
This desu senpai. The only spells that cannot crit are those that deal damage based on a saving throw.
>>
>>45093701
>This desu senpai.
you're trying too hard
>>
>>45093885
>he doesn't know about wordfilters

shaking my head to be honest family
>>
>>45093946
i know about them
>>
Playing in an Out of the Abyss game.
Without any really bad spoilers, what are some things I should keep a heads up for?
Party barbarian snapped the serial killer's neck, everyone had to make saves for sanity.
>>
>>45093989
>>45093946
>>45093885

>/tg/

Why are you guys so dumb?
>>
This thread is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>45094043
I'd blame my own stumbling dumbassery on the fact that I've only just eaten breakfast, because I'm the sort of guy who sleeps in a lot.
>>
>>45094093

I don't mean you specifically. I've been to a lot of boards, but /tg/ is the most unironically stupid board I've been to.
>>
>>45093590
Good to see you're arguing against a point nobody was trying to make. But to tie this back to the original comment, and just so we can be clear that you've learned something today, any spell with an attack roll, including cantrips, crit on a natural 20.

This is not imbalanced and if you ever find yourself as a DM and strip away this rule you are a bad person.
>>
>>45094138
We do alright.
It doesn't help that a lot of people take up roleplaying to quit thinking and just do.
>>
>>45094159
but if i have the dueling fighting style can i add the +2 damage to my spells? and double it on a crit?

:^)
>>
>>45094232
Dueling says "while wielding a weapon in one hand... +2 to damage rolls with that weapon."

So know. You can't wield a spell.
>>
File: Birdjob.gif (362 KB, 480x377) Image search: [Google]
Birdjob.gif
362 KB, 480x377
>>45093419
>>
>>45094276

>2016
>Not wielding your spells

baka sensu despai.
>>
Couple questions a new DM.
What are people's thoughts on multiclassing? Are there any broken combos? It seems like a migraine and i'm considering only allowing it if there's a very clear RP reason for them having a level of whatever class they want to multi into.
Next, are there any BROKEN (like absolutely disgusting) combinations of classes I should ban or things like that? From what I've heard (i'm new to 5E as well) the game is really hard to minmax, but I have players who are just casual, so I wouldn't want a massive power disparity if one player who I know is online looking at minmax guides brings something to the table and I don't realize its power level and completely outshines the rest of the party.
>>
>>45094276
Actually, as retarded as this sounds, that might actually work with Flame Blade.
>Flame Blade
>(leaf of sumac) You evoke a fiery blade in your free hand. The blade is similar in size and shape to a scimitar, and it lasts for the duration. If you let go of the blade, it disappears, but you can evoke the blade again as a bonus action. You can use your action to make a melee spell attack with the fiery blade. On a hit, the target takes 3d6 fire damage. The flaming blade sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet. At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for every two slot levels above 2nd.
>Dueling Style
>When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
Considering it's a spell attack and not a weapon attack, I don't know, but whatever.
>>
>>45093946
Alien desu senpai senpai
>>
File: fug.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>going through 5e LFG listings on Roll20
>see one that might be interesting
>post there using the DM's template, flesh out a gnome wizard who is part tongue-in-cheek, part serious
>DM disables the LFG listing minutes later without recruiting any players

I ruin everything.
>>
>>45094466
>Gnome wizard
Admittedly, this is never not a bad sign.
>>
>>45094481

Gnome illusionists are the only good gnomes
>>
>>45094481
What? Why? I'm playing a gnome wizard right now and have only been a credit to the team.
>>
>>45094360
Mechanically, melee weapons are Simple Melee Weapons and Martial Melee Weapons, under the Weapon table in the equipment section.

As such, Flame Blade isn't a melee weapon by the standard rules, though you could certainly try to convince your DM otherwise.
>>
>>45094502
Obviously, good players are good players.
But gnomes quickly fall into not-quite kender territory if handled badly.
It's a quick way to be 'qwerky' if you're That Guy.
They get my wary eye in the same way that halfling thieves do, for the same reasons.
>>
>>45094564
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0KyiEpVnCkC
>>
>>45093992
A lot of weird shit is going to happen. It will sometimes be a good idea to run or at least negotiate. Being polite and role playing can get you some cool stuff despite most of the NPCs being assholes.
>>
>>45094138
>/tg/ is the most unironically stupid board I've been to

It does surprisingly well in terms of socialization for being a bunch of tabletop gaming neckbeards.

Though that says more about the boards /tg/ beats out.
>>
>>45094564
I've also got a halfling fighter with a criminal background about to dip rogue. Why must you hate me? I've done nothing except open doors the party wanted opened mostly because of invisible police
>>
>>45094232
>and double it on a crit?

Damage modifiers aren't doubled on a crit in the first place, only damage dice. But you're probably just pretending.
>>
File: butt hurt.jpg (46 KB, 680x570) Image search: [Google]
butt hurt.jpg
46 KB, 680x570
>>45094466
>looking through other weekend LFG listings
>they're all shit
>mfw
>>
>>45094527
>As such, Flame Blade isn't a melee weapon by the standard rules, though you could certainly try to convince your DM otherwise.

I'd consider allowing it despite knowing it doesn't count as a melee weapon just because I think fencing with a sword made of magic is a fun idea.
>>
>>45094343
Multiclassing as a whole usually leaves you with considerably less power than if you had stayed as one class through your progression.

There are some exceptions to this, and some multiclassing combos are strong (Paladin + any full progression charisma caster for instance), but none of them really break the game.

There are only two multiclass combinations that come to mind that are a dead giveaway of a min/maxer, and that's warlock 2/sorc x, and undying light warlock/dragon sorc 6/paladin whatever. That said, a Warlock/Sorc isn't going to shit on absolutely everything and has space to create a legitimately interesting character concept, and the tri-class combo is shut down by anything that resists or is immune to fire.

To restrict multiclassing always seems so arbitrary to me. You'll let somebody play a wizard or bard without a second thought, right? Or a battlemaster fighter? No multiclass is going to offer the same consistency, utility, and power as these three classes anyway, and most might rise above them in only one of those categories.
>>
>>45094343
>Are there any broken combos?
no not really

honestly most multiclasses are worse than just staying single classed in this edition.

some have discrete tricks they can pull off to be good, but even then you're typically sacrificing some kind of depth in your other abilities to have something like eldritch blast. which is a good spell but 2 levels out of your main class to do a bit of damage at range is kind of... whatever.
>>
It took over a year, but finally. FINALLY. Crawford has put Bardic Horsecasting to rest.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/693202352296189952
>>
>>45094869
>I think fencing with a sword made of magic is a fun idea.

>Flame Blade magic item, must be activated by a paladin, otherwise it's an ordinary hilt, only two are made
>Villain is a Blackguard who's stolen and corrupted one of them, wants the other, as it is the only thing that can truly kill him as per a curse
>>
>>45094343
You should definitely allow your cleric player to multiclass into whatever class he wants.
>>
Why can't all Devils use Alter Shape/Polymorph? They can't be very tempting when they look as they do.
>>
>>45094882
A one or two level dip into fighter seldom hurts any class much. Two level dips are especially good for arcane casters.
>>
>>45094970
5e is basically built on homebrew anyways, switch out one spell slot for another or give it to them as a supernatural ability.
>>
>>45093173
Look kid, Im a seasoned player, some might even say that Im one of the best, if not the best, gamer this board has to offer. Dont believe me? I have over 400 hundred board games at my house, over a 100 at my arms reach right now. Card games? I got a deck for every possible combination of cards of M:tg, I even go to tournments and shit. No biggie. D&D? I'm proud to say that as a player I'm always the party leader, maxed as I can be and I'm not afraid of taking that extra edge that puts me ahead of enemies and allies alike. Hell, I got to get paid for having sex with hot girls and killing dragons with my expert builds. I like to shit on the GM one-directional adventures, by solving it with brains and brawl instead of one or the other, wether the party likes it or not. When Im the GM, Im proud to say that NO PARTY ever finished one of my adventures. Think you're gonna face some lazy sleepy goblins? Think again, they are fully trained comandos, that will attack and take full cover before you can do shit. Dont hate the player, hate the game. WH40K? Dont even get me started, kiddo, shit would blow your weaklings mind on how real it gets.
So, you listen, kiddo, and you listen good, because this will be a freebie.
Enjoy your players suffering and feed on their despair. You are the GM, a god is something beneath you. Act like it.
>>
>>45094882
Yeah it was just out of fear, since I'm new and didn't know all the combos. I'm probably going to be more open about it after receiving feedback, I'll still want them to have good RP reasons for multiclassing into whatever they're multiclassing into, but I won't try to arbitrarily ban anything. I actually didn't know about the undying light warlock unearthed arcana, I actually really like it and might send it to my players incase any of them want to play one. Good warlocks are the bees knees.
>>
>>45095039
>Mmm pasta.
That reminds me, I need to start thinking about dinner.
>>
>>45094970
Do you think all devil's contracts are just sex or something?
>>
>>45094906
thank christ
who's crawford
>>
>>45095096
I think he wants devils to make themselves look more like people.
After all, if you're a seven-foot, thuggish looking, red-skinned figure with horns and wings, you're not going to elicit as much trust as a man in nice robes who's talking in a calm, cheerful voice about how much he wants to help you.
Unless you talk to dragonborn.
>>
>>45095096
No, but i'm not going to consider any tempting offer from a bug of ice, or a creature covered in spikes, or a skeleton with a scorpion tail, or a creature made of spiked chains.

Whenever a devil has traditionally tempted someone, it is in a more pleasing or unassuming shape. Be it a serpent, or a man at the crossroads, or the wind that's only a whisper. My favourite kind of devil is the one that take the shape of a human, and tries to be a friend to you.
>>
File: Bonewheel Skeleton (5e).png (39 KB, 444x659) Image search: [Google]
Bonewheel Skeleton (5e).png
39 KB, 444x659
Besides the obvious typo, I would appreciate thoughts on this monster.
>>
>>45095135
>>45095161
I just assumed most devils could only be contacted if you knew what you were doing, so at that point you wouldn't really care what the hell they looked like.
>>
>>45095200
>languages it knew in life
when it was a Fleshwheel Man?
>>
>>45095200
It's not going to be too much fun for anyone to fight, but it seems solid enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD8xLYHyCAc
>>
>>45095262
It changes from setting to setting, but some demons actively seek out bargains with humanity, to get their kicks.
>>
File: Tyrants of the Nine Hells.jpg (419 KB, 898x1162) Image search: [Google]
Tyrants of the Nine Hells.jpg
419 KB, 898x1162
>>45095135

I like the idea presented in Fiendish Codex II that not all devils serve as tempters and that each kind of devil basically has a specific purpose.

In fact I just love the shit out of Fiendish Codex II, easily my favorite 3.5 splatbook and anyone that does anything with Devils or the Nine Hells is doing themselves a disservice by not reading it.
>>
>>45095349
Huh, I'm not doing anything of that kind yet, but I'll look into it, and your suggested reading.
There's a demon that's influencing an NPC under the threat of taking his soul and tormenting his wife and children, using him to fan a war which is just but will quickly spiral out of control if a few little things happen.
>>
>>45092589
Ask yourself "Why would this make dwarves OP"
>>
>>45092589

Seems perfectly fine, I don't see how it would have any sort of impact on balance.
>>
Never played 5E here, how's the balance between classes in your opinion?
>>
>>45092640
But I want darksun!!!

I know, not before 2018.
>>
>>45095704
More balanced than 3.5.
>>
>>45092589
Not anymore OP than ruling that Elves complete a Long Rest in 4 hours.
>>
>>45095737
I have a burning need for darksun.
>>
>>45095704

Certainly better than 3.5

But we're back to a system where casters and non-casters use fundamentally different mechanics, unlike in 4e, so there's some imbalance remaining.

Really the best idea 5e had was the Concentration feature for casters, it basically removes the single biggest bugbear of the 3.PF caster imbalance, that being the stacking of buffs and battlefield control spells. Now the caster has to choose one, and only one, major ongoing spell to use at a time. It's so good that it makes some of the nerfs to specific spells seem really unnecessary.

Casters are still arguably stronger, but you won't at all feel it like you did in 3.5
>>
>>45095776
That's only OP if the DM chooses to put them in a situation where it's OP
>>
>>45095349
That was the case back in Planescape as well, Erinyes specifically were tasked with tempting mortals. There was also a Ministry of Mortal Relations, because the whole thing with the Nine Hells was, in part, the nightmarish bureaucracy.
>>
>>45095868
Pretty much. Same with the Dwarf thing, though.

Fighting a necromancer? Just send a bunch of dwarves after him.
>>
>>45095787
my nigga.
>>
>>45092589
Are elves still immune to ghouls?
>>
How's UA Ranger?
>>
>>45094343

It's usually weaker than going straight with one class.

That said, I'm interested in how a multi-class caster (like a cleric/wizard) would go, given they still get full spell slot progression, but have to rely on amping up lower level spells.
>>
Where the fuck is the January Survey?
>>
>>45093449
You are dumb. You are so fucking dumb
>>
Stupid question: How do you use Unearthed Arcana, exactly?

I have a player who, despite the party's still relative parity, seems pretty disappointed in what he's got out of playing a Ranger so far. I'm looking at the UA Ranger now, and I'm seeing a lot of stuff that I think he'd like. How should I implement it in play? Should I just have him add the appropriate abilities to his already-existing core Ranger, or have him re-roll a level 4 UA Ranger? I'm just a little unclear as to how I'm supposed to use this.
>>
>>45097001
If you're cool with it, just let the player switch to that one. Have him remove all benefits that his current ranger subclass gets and add those, no fuss no buss. If you want to have some RP reason for it you can.
>>
>>45097110
>Have him remove all benefits that his current ranger subclass gets and add those, no fuss no buss.
Hmm... he already seems kind of attached to the current animal companion he has. Switching would get rid of that, right? But in exchange, he'd get the Spirit Companion.
I think I'll bring it up to him, see what he thinks, but something tells me he won't want to give up his existing companion for a different one.

Another thing I was thinking of was suggesting that he try multiclassing, but to be honest I don't have very much experience with doing that at all. What are some good classes for a Ranger to multiclass into? I think he was hoping to get more spells if he can, would Cleric be a good fit? We already have a Wizard and a Paladin.
>>
Are the DM Guild money in USD?
>>
>>45097447
By default yes, but since it goes through Paypal they can convert it automatically.
>>
>>45096302
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/693230117053534209
>>
>>45096195
It's breadth for depth. So just depends on what you want. Guidance, bless, teleport, gfb, evocation, heading?
>>
Man, this system is so boring.
>>
>>45097580
Man, this bait is so boring.
>>
>>45097233
I haven't read the UA ranger's spirit companion but if you're the DM you could just house rule he gets to keep his original companion if it doesn't work too differently.
>>
What would you give to a rogue archetype focused on stealth/hiding?
3 can hide when in dim light
3???

9 advantage on hiding?

13 more hiding, maybe be able to go invisible?

18 holy shit, where are you?!
>>
>>45092561
Up to the GM if they have "appropriate anatomy." Other than that, it seems like you can. They have rules for intelligent mounts. pg 198
>>
>>45097706
>can hide when in dim light
Rogue with Skulker

>advantage on hiding
Thief level 9 feature.

>go invisible
7th-level Arcane Trickster
>>
>>45097706
Stealth Expertise and like >>45097753
said means most Rogues can Hide like nobodies business anyway.
>>
File: Master_Blaster.jpg (136 KB, 763x1200) Image search: [Google]
Master_Blaster.jpg
136 KB, 763x1200
>>45092561
>>45097742
Bonus points if he'll wear a "saddle"
>>
>Players Handbook Drow can't speak Undercommon

MEAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>45094906
>You can still horsecast Vampiric Touch
>>
>>45093173
>Wife playing first rpg
>She's playing a level 5 Druid
>Pirates coming to attack their transport ship
>Her in teasing voice: "I have a lvl 2 sink ship spell"
>Roll my eyes at her
>Her: "Wait, what does Warp Wood do?"
>Mr: "Holy shit, you have a lvl 2 sink ship spell."
I was so proud.
>>
>>45097968
>Caster Supremacy
>Begins at level 3

Man, fuck 3.p
>>
File: gnomimcgnomersoncopy2.jpg (53 KB, 536x799) Image search: [Google]
gnomimcgnomersoncopy2.jpg
53 KB, 536x799
I don't know if this is old hat, but I hate that 5e Gnomes are just elf-y-er halflings. I want my brightly colored, ADD, mischief lovers back.
>>
>>45097968
And then you conceived your first child right on the table
>>
>>45097968
>>45098076
To be fair the spell description says "a boat or ship springs a leak", not that is sinks
>>
>>45097706
forgot to say, without making him a ONE TRICK PONY.
>>
>>45098092
Then pick forest gnome and play him like a kender?

You monster.
>>
>>45097753
>>45097788
hum... maybe I shuld add some spice to it.
>>
>>45098092
>>/kender/
>>
>>45093542
>not killing the players cos of fear they would stop playing
This is the shittiest attitude to have. Do they throw out video games because they died too? Do they flip over boards whenever someone captures their queen in chess?
>>
It feels so ridiculously good when you plan everything out ahead of time (maybe not everything, but when you think of at least three or four things the players can do in a session).

I don't know why I spent my college years just improv-ing everything. It was such a waste of time. It's not even hard to string players along, just give them reasons to go do something when they finish what you have planned.
>>
>>45093542
You did good at first. You just have to remember that players need to learn from their mistakes.
>>
What enchantment lies on Bruenor Battlehammer's helmet? Does his shield still let him draw magical ale from it?
>>
>>45098134
Yeah, but at level 5 they can make that hit a large area, so a few leaks, which means the pirates have to focus on not dying and their ship slows, so the party can take to the wind.
>>
>>45098137
There's a difference in personality between old-gnomes and Kender, and that doesn't make them colorful little bundles of joy. My problem is that they ARE like Kender.
>>
>>45098423
No, the brightly colored ADD mischief makers are the ones like kenders. You're whining that you can't act that way anymore.
>>
>>45098578
I can act however the fuck I please, I have player agency. I want a race with interesting fluff, not little-elves, which are pointless.
>>
>>45098633
Calm down, kender-whore. I'm not telling you how to play. I'm telling you that everyone hates you because of how you play.
>>
Is the Epic Level Handbook worth getting?

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/171443/DnD-5e-Epic-Level-Handbook?src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469&site=&manufacturers_id=8957&
>>
I think you are cute, anon!
>>
>>45098694

I don't, I'm really quite ugly.
>>
>>45098672
What is it you like about being a troll?
>>
>>45098208
In my experience the unpredictable part of DMing is not where the players will go but what they'll do when they get there
>>
File: Epic Level Handbook.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Epic Level Handbook.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45098689
You mean this? I didn't even know this was being sold. I'm pretty sure it was linked in a reddit thread. Maybe this was the draft version. Support him him if you like it.
>>
>>45098819
Sorry but he's not trolling you. His claims are accurate, if exaggerated.
>>
>>45098333
Anyone?
>>
>>45098910
He's trolling because I made it clear I don't play kender, and he keeps saying I do. Sure it's just as childish for me to care, but trolling nonetheless.
>>
>>45098946
>helmet
There is no cannon, so are you asking for ideas?
>Shield
Sure? Not sure why your asking. They haven't written anything official about him in 5th.
>>
>>45098092
I prefer my gnomes as elementals.
>>
>>45099001
It's not trolling because the personality traits which you have declared you miss are traits associated with kender, unlike the burrowing friendly forest folk of the PHB.

And yes, it is childish for you to care.
>>
>>45099144
Spritely spirits of earth and forest? That's pretty fun.
>>
>>45099098
No, its just that apparently its enchanted but nothing is said about it. I'll just ignore it then
>>
>>45099172
I mentioned one shared personality trait, which is handled differently between the races, and then made it clear that the physical appearance change was what more important individually, and the over lack of interesting fluff is what I don't like.
>>
>>45099198
Similar, but more more earthy than spritely.
>>
>>45099207
Mechanically, it's probably just a +x helmet, rather than having a special ability.
>>
Why are kender so cancerous?
>>
>>45099260
I can dig it.
>>
>>45098908
>Xborn level 30 feature on each class.

Dropped.
>>
>>45099320
They think stealing is amusing, even from friends. They canonically behave like lolsrandumb players.
>>
>>45099320
Encouraging players to steal from other PCs while expecting them not to get pissed off.
>>
>>45097957
Or any of the Paladin's smite spells.

>Divine Hooves
>>
File: Gnome_(Seiken_Densetsu_3).png (117 KB, 357x345) Image search: [Google]
Gnome_(Seiken_Densetsu_3).png
117 KB, 357x345
>>45099144
>>45099260
Like this?
>>
>>45098092
I was thinking of exploring the idea of gnomes as knowledge, and using that knowledge to great effect, and have a driving purpose or knowledge they pursue in life.
>>
>>45099320
They're the purest distillation of how players misunderstand what it is to be Chaotic Neutral, and they not only legitimise but encourage such a play style.
>>
>>45099339
Naming conventions seems like a silly reason to not read a mechanics based add-on.
>>
>>45099420
Beat me to it.
>>
File: Wild Elementals.jpg (109 KB, 540x810) Image search: [Google]
Wild Elementals.jpg
109 KB, 540x810
>>45099420
That's a good gnome. Pic related is what I was considering having as 'gnomes' in my setting, but in the end I thought it might be too different - that gnome is a good compromise though, and as such I'm stealing it.
>>
>>45099421
I actually play my gnome wizard this way. He's a spymaster for a dwarven kingdom (a quite friendly one, actually), and he pursues knowledge above all else.
>>
File: Gnome2.jpg (41 KB, 466x489) Image search: [Google]
Gnome2.jpg
41 KB, 466x489
>>45099420
Or this?
>>
>>45099483
>forest gnomes

>>45099494
>rock gnomes
>>
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/693252595968663556

Psion update for the next UA, anon from the last thread called it.
>>
>>45099531
Is it calling it when anons have been predicting it for every month for over a year.
>>
New Psionics draft on Monday.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/693252595968663556
>>
>>45099483
Those are some pretty neat elementals in that picture.
>>
>>45094232
You add the +2 to the SCAG spells like Green Flame Blade, right?
>>
>>45099483
>>45099494
>>45099510
I may have to steal this.
>>
>>45099487
Not just that, but like a Gnome is born wanting to know. Always learning they seek knowledge above all else. A Gnome's nose knows. Almost like sprites of knowledge.
>>
How worth it is Great Weapon Master? I'm just getting into D&D as a whole, and I have a friend telling me that taking great weapons is always worse than just taking a shield and a one handed weapon. However, my gut feeling tells me otherwise.
>>
>>45099712
nah he dumb
>>
>>45099712
Great Weapon Master is one of the strongest feats in the game. Your friend is dumb.
>>
>>45099712
GWM and GW fighting style gives you attacks of ~2d8 + Str, the ability to take -5 to hit for +10 damage and the chance to get to swing as a bonus action.

Sword and shield with Duellist and Shield Master gives you attacks of 1d8 + 2 + Str mod, +2AC, the ability to knock things prone (giving melee attacks advantage against it) as a bonus action and the miscellanous benefits of Shield Master.

GWM is a lot better for punching out damage but sword and board is not massively behind in damage and gets a bunch more utility / survival. Depends somewhat on the party and your subclass for which is better.
>>
>>45092493
Have you heard of Greyhawk Reborn?
>>
>>45099781
Also depends heavily on the type of encounters the DM favors. +2 ac is nothing to sneeze at if you're up against big damage.
>>
>>45099483
das cute mang
>>
>>45099712
If you're a Champion fighter, GWM is probably the best feat you can get.
>>
>>45097001
>>45097110
>>45097233
No. No no no. That version of the ranger is stupid. Ambuscade is the devil.
>>
You didn't see anything.
Is this too good for a 3rd level Rogue archetype feature?

>You deal an extra 1d4 damage with weapons possessing both the Thrown and Finesse qualities.
>In addition, you can use Sneak Attack on any thrown weapon attack made against a target that has no creatures adjacent to it (in addition to the usual methods of sneak attacking).
>>
>>45100181
>Ambuscade is the devil.
Really? It looks handy to me, if a little confusing. There's also something kind of cool about a Ranger who can't be properly surprised.
>>
So, question about the maneuvers Battle Masters get. While it would burn through my Superiority Dice very quickly, can I only use one maneuver per attack action or can I use as many maneuvers as I have attacks for?

So 2 maneuvers per action at Level 5, 3 at Level 11, and 4 at Level 20?
>>
>>45100207
I'd say they really don't need the damage boost (especially if it's so piddly). The other bit is the equivalent of the Swashbuckler's shtick but with a little range added. It's fine.

If you're focusing on thrown weapons, I'd say also let them thrown beyond normal range without disadvantage, otherwise they're locked to sub-20 range anyway.
>>
>>45099582
I would rule yes
>>
>>45100249
You can use one for each attack, if you really want to burst down the target.
>>
>>45100248
Problem is it's absurdly good, especially for something you can get at such a low level.
>>
>>45100249
RAW it says per attack, not attack action.
so, the latter is the most likely.
>>
>>45100248
Getting an extra turn on top of everyone else, when battles tend to last half a dozen rounds at maximum, is overpowered as a high level feature, let alone a level 1 feature. You're basically getting a surprise round, always. One more round of attacks or spells or what have you. Literally no class would not want such an ability.
>>
>>45100313
Huh, I guess I glossed over the "per attack" bit while I was skimming. Thanks for pointing that out, anon.
>>
>>45100207
>>45100251
I think one of the largest disadvantages thrown weapons face is the limitation on weapons drawn in a single turn.

Any character whose class innately gains Extra Attack, or would dip for it, or even would use Two-weapon Fighting for an additional attack, cannot use thrown weapons. It would be stuck attempting to deal massive damage with single dagger attacks, as opposed to the hail of fletchettes one might expect. Or, you know, even a second dagger.

I'd say it's almost mandatory for a thrown weapon-focused archetype to have some kind of feature early on to get around this.
>>
>>45100480
I just realized what it stood for immediately after posting this, disregard me I suck cocks
>>
>>45100480
Rules as written.
>>
>>45100480
RAW = Rules As Written
RAI = Rules As Intended
>>
>>45100480
I will answer your question with another: have you considered searching for 'RAW' in Google alongside 'D&D', 'RPG' or any one of a multitude of other related terms, and seeing what turns up?
>>
Does anyone know of any good homebrewed campaign settings for 5e? Stuff like Primeval Thule or the like
>>
>>45100482
>When you throw a weapon with the thrown property you can immediately draw another weapon of the same name

Is a thrown weapon a ranged weapon attack, a melee weapon attack or neither?
>>
>>45100482
I saw a throwing weapons fighter archetype on the DMsG a few weeks back that was pretty decent. It got around that limitation using similar wording.

>>45100934
A thrown weapon is a melee weapon, but throwing it is a ranged weapon attack using a melee weapon.
>>
>>45101108
Good to know.
>>
How broken would allowing Eldritch Blast to count as a 'weapon attack' at the cost of pact boon + an invocation? I'm playing a Warlock/Fighter and this would let me make use of fighting style and manuevers on Eldritch Blast. Biggest issue I can see is if I went after Rpgue Sneak Attack dice, but I'm not going there.
>>
>>45101293
It would be fairly balanced at the cost of an invocation, really.

Talk to your DM though.
>>
>>45095200
Maybe bonus damage to prone targets?
>>
>>45101367
The boon's basically Blade Pact just for Ranged Weapons, then the invocation is like channeling through the weapon to make it a weapon attack.

I've talked to my DM about it and she doesn't have any problems with it, but I'm the only person in my group including the DM who as any experience with tabletop prior to our current campaign. Basically, my DM will go along with anything I say is balanced.

Thanks for the feedback though. The way I see it, you end up with the same damage/attacks as a fighter with a heavy crossbow, only thing is you can stack eldritch blast invocation buffs on top of it and you don't have to pay a feat tax to actually attack multiple times per round.
>>
File: Tilk.jpg (11 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Tilk.jpg
11 KB, 300x225
>>45099808
No. Please explain.
>>
As a new player, is it solid to grab a level of fighter, as a wizard, with the defense fighting style to boost yourself up to 20 AC using half-plate and a shield, plus get the strength and con saving throw proficiencies? Note, I already have Warcaster.
>>
>>45101508
not the same anon but:
bladelock needs help no matter what, provided you arent in a party full of blade locks its fine to give them even a tiny bit of help imo
>>
>>45101530
No don't do this. delaying your spellcasting progression for a bit of AC isn't worth it. just don't get yourself into harms way, be cautious, and if you really need to use mage armor and shield.

but DON'T take 1 level of anything before going wizard. or at least, if you do, know its the opposite of solid. like your post would make good bait level bad.
>>
Best uses for immovable rods? I'm new to DnD and just got one.
>>
>>45101645
Buy some rope. Use it as an anchor. Repel from shit.

It's useful more often than you think.
>>
>>45101530
>saving throw proficiencies from multiclassing
since when? i just read through the multiclass rules again and i dont see anything about getting saving throw proficiencies, only proficiency in certain armors and weapons.

anyways, don't punish your spell progression just to bump your AC. if you're going full caster you should pay attention to your positioning in order to boost your survivability. worst case scenario, just get a decent spell or two that may help you to get away from melee fighters. if you're a spellsword your dex should be high enough to get a decent AC.

also jumping from whateveryouracis to 20 isn't too good depending on what level you are. from level 1-5 20 AC is a bit overkill
>>
When you place an immovable rod, shouldn't it start "moving" in relation to you, due to the rotation of the planet?
>>
>>45101645
Bar a door. Preferably a strong once.

If you find two, instant ladder to anywhere.

>>45101711
It's magic, anon.
>>
>>45101711
>Rotation
>Planet

The material plane doesn't always work like that.
>>
How do I up monk damage? I'm level 10 and 1d6+5 damage is seeming kind of weak (even if I can do it 4 times). All the other martials seem to easily have a way to increase their damage output so I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious.
>>
>>45095039
you sound like someone I would hate playing games with
>>
>>45094232
So.
Fucking.
Dumb.
>>
>>45101595
Currently, my DM has a habit of starting combat encounters with enemies within fifteen feet of the back liners like myself plus the ones near the frontliners, the ranged enemies go right for the squishies, and he is running the six encounter day model so shield is sucking my spell slots, hence the consideration. Mage armour is not cutting it.

Is there any other way to get myself some more durability from this kind of shit?

>>45101698
I might have missed something in regards to the saving throws, in that case, apologies.
>>
>>45101814

Just gain a level? Also, why haven't you been using a versatile quarterstaff all this time?
>>
>>45101711
>CLANG
What the fuck was that?
>>
>>45101839
if you're having problems with enemies being too close at the start of the encounter, communicate with your team so the melee/frontliners can keep the enemies from you. remember, if they run next to them, they provoke an OA. if ranged enemies focusing you are the issue, focus them back. i'm pretty sure 1d6+2 damage or whatever their bow is farting out isn't as bad as a fireball or something that can severely damage them (unless they're farting fireballs back at you, in that case try to improve your saves somehow?)
>>
>>45101711
>implying the material plane doesn't lie upon four unmoving elephants
>>
>>45101886

Alright, I get what you're saying about the quarterstaff, but what I meant was 'Is there a way to do additional damage on top of what I'm doing.'. Sorry. I should have worded that better.

Fighters have GWM and fighting styles, Barbs get bonus rage damage and Pallies can sack spell slots for smites. It just feels that as a monk I should be getting damage from an additional source but I'm not finding it. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
>>
>>45102088
You have Ki, flurry of blows a bitch. Or, if you're Four Elements monk, Fangs of the Fire Snake a bitch.
>>
File: 1424653678196.jpg (112 KB, 572x303) Image search: [Google]
1424653678196.jpg
112 KB, 572x303
>DM allows an extra feat at first level and variant humans.
>making human sword&board str 3rd level battlemaster
>he's going to be as much of a Shakespeare character as physically possible.
I'm debating between shield master and lucky for the variant human feat, I already got martial adept for extra feints/parries/ripostes, ect.
Any suggestions between the two? is there a third feat I should be looking at?
Would normally just go fuck it and run a goliath character and ditch the second feat, but the DM's running with a bunch of new people and wants to stick with the PHB for now, somewhat understandably.
>>
>>45102171
Lucky, but only if, much later in the campaign once you've become heroes and famous and successful, you begin using it when you roll high in an attempt to illustrate your fate fucking you over.
>>
>>45101814
I just recently realized you can use your dex on all melee simple weapons as a monk so my suggestion would be use a versatile quarterstaff (maybe try to get a magic one if possible, +1 or some other magic effect to bypass damage reduction) and that way you can do 1d8 + 5 for two attacks and then your 1d6 + 5 for one or two attacks.
>>
>>45102088
Flurry of blows is rather important, you been using that?
also what archetype.
>>
>>45102221
>actively use lucky to roll bad
What the hell, anon
I love it, that's perfect
>>
>>45101839
you only get saving throw proficiency from your starting class, never from any additional classes you pick up.

just be an abjurer if you're worried about durability.

other options include: whichever dwarf gives you medium armor proficiency, whichever dwarf gives you +1 HP, half orc can get up once per rest from damage that would otherwise down them, goliath can reduce damage by 1d12 if you want to try that out. none of those are especially good wizard races though. if you're variant human you can take the toughness feat to give you +2 hp per level. not awesome but its something.

cast false life, mirror image, blur, mage armor, and any other defensive spells you can think of.

and get good at using cover. and if you're behind allies OR enemies you should be getting some cover from being hit by archers.

its hard being squishy but thats the trade off for having supreme magical power.
>>
>>45102234
>>45102128

I've been flurrying, I've been flurrying like a son of a bitch. And I'm Long Death.
>>
File: 1454016604133.png (276 KB, 400x626) Image search: [Google]
1454016604133.png
276 KB, 400x626
>>45102088
which archetype are you? it depends.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.