[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: Bill Knows Lots of Things.png (781 KB, 1341x754) Image search: [Google]
Bill Knows Lots of Things.png
781 KB, 1341x754
Previous Thread: >>44952968

http://pastebin.com/mxLKGGi9

Let's talk inspiration. What are some good shows (movies, books, vidya) that can provide ideas for a chronicle?

Gravity Falls (Innocents)
From Dusk Til Dawn the Series (Mortals, Vampire)
Person of Interest (Demon)
Dresden Files (Mage, Hunter)
The Magicians (Mage)
Supernatural (Hunter)
The Strain (Hunter)
Teen Wolf (Werewolf, Hunter)
Grimm (Hunter, Changeling, Beast)
Scooby Doo: Mysteries Incorporated (Hunter)
Hemlock Grove (Various)
Haven (Hunter, Mortal, anything)
X-Files (Hunter) (I'm sticking with recent, but it's just premiered it's sequel miniseries)
>>
>>45015385
First for "Dracula is That Guy."
>>
>>45015958
First for "Where is Mage 2e?" and "Where are the MMN?"
>>
>>45016175

Monday Meeting Notes'll probably go up in an hour or two.
>>
>>45015958

I watched the first couple of episodes of the new Shadowhunters television series on ABC Family / Freeform.

I *definitely* wasn't the target demographic, but if you're a 12-15 year old girl (or your daughter like rpgs) and love fanfiction, the show provides ample inspiration for many of the major CofD splats.
>>
HURT LOCKER WHEN
>>
>>45016175

MMN ?
>>
>>45015958
I don't care what anyone says, if you wouldn't run a game of Mage based on Sorcerer's Apprentice then you are not a person who likes fun
>>
>>45016392
>HURT LOCKER WHEN

It's been in the post-second draft "developing" void for ages. I wouldn't hold your breadth waiting for the book. Even if DavidH finishes it today, it still needs layout, editing, approval, and revision.

I wouldn't expect it until mid-spring.
>>
>>45016401

Monday Meeting Notes. It's a blog that has updates on the status of Onyx Path products. It is the only thing that will free us from our torment, and start it anew.
>>
>>45016520
Each week, we die a little more.
>>
lmao Onyx Path is the best company ever
>>
>>45016552

Every week brings Mage 2e further and further away from us.

>>45016564

That's a funny way of spelling Sine Nomine Publishing.
>>
I'm shaking. I'm litterally shaking. If mage isn't coming out soon I'm gonna FREAK.
>>
>>45016774

At this point, just assume that Mage will be a GenCon 2016 release, and celebrate if it's released "early."
>>
>>45017001

I'm just expecting it to be March. I'm not even specifying a year. Just March.
>>
>>45016383
It's based on some teen supernatural romance/action books, the City of Bones series. Of course it's not your base demographic.
>>
>>45017102

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadowhunter_Chronicles

>The Shadowhunter Chronicles is a media franchise encompassing two novel series, eleven short-story collections, one graphic novel, one film, a television series, and other media.

Holy moly.
>>
>>45017102
>Of course it's not your base demographic.

True, but as I indicated, if you have a daughter or know female gamers who like fanfiction-y type material, they'll probably enjoy Shadowhunters and find some inspiration.
>>
>>45017164

And the author is releasing a new trilogy beginning in March.

There's certainly money to be made in young adult urban fantasy and supernatural romance.
>>
Friend says he wanted to run one of the WoD games. He's going between Changeling and Mage, either nWoD or oWoD.

Please advise. Are either of these actually good games? Because I've never seen a single good thing written about them. (I don't play WoD games normally)
>>
>>45017942
nWoD Mage can be exceptionally good, but can also fall into the depraved pits of power wank and ludicrous player irresponsibility that would make the most evil D&D group balk.

nWoD Changeling is great, and will always be great.

I don't play oWoD.
At all.

Also nWoD has been rechristened Chronicles of Darkness or CofD
>>
Isn't "young adult" a codename for shitty teenage romance?
>>
>>45017942

nMage is great and second edition is going to be released later tonight.

nChangeling is universally agreed to be one of the high points of WoD in general.
>>
>>45017942

Never play oWoD. Never.
>>
>>45018336
Not necessarily. Shitty teenage romance is a large part of the genre though.
>>
>>45017942

Folks'll probably give you info about nWoD/CofD Mage and Changeling, so:

oChangeling is a game where you're the reincarnation of a Fae trying to survive in a world of Banality. It's divisive. It's remembered for its light tone but dark implications and reviled for its schizophrenic tone and janky mechanics.

oMage is a game where reality can be altered by getting enough people to believe in your personal philosophy, and what that means in a world where the main philosophy of reality is ruled with under a jack boot. This one's considered more of a classic, though its magic system can be complex and vague at the same time.
>>
>>45018356
>nMage
>going to be released later tonight.

And there will be peace and joy on earth, unicorns will roam free, and free Skittles for everyone.
>>
>>45018644
But... I don't like skittles!
>>
>>45018699
Well now Mage has been set back another decade. Are you happy now?
>>
>>45018067
>>45018356
>>45018367
>>45018641

Thanks, guys. I haven't looked at anything WoD related since before nWoD (well, CofD now) was a thing. So I've been a bit out of the loop.

We'll likely end up going for nMage.
>>
>>45018925
That has the added advantage of not needing to decide right now. Since the game release is... well, it's "upcoming".
>>
>>45018950
Tonight.
>>
is the long-range bracket the max range of any given weapon? are there rules for firing outside this range?
>>
>>45019066
In our dreams.
If, against all probability, it gets released this week, it'd probably be on Wednesday.

>>45019086
Yep. Chance die to hit things beyond it. No upper limit on this though, besides the ST slapping you and saying "No!"
>>
File: 666.jpg (84 KB, 1439x796) Image search: [Google]
666.jpg
84 KB, 1439x796
what would be responsible for this?
>>
>>45019274
British TV.
>>
>>45019274

Gonna take a guess and say a Demon. Which Demon am I talking about? You'll never know!
>>
Can merits go above five dots?
>>
ITS UP
>>
>>45019668

Nice try, but the Paradox of your will working made it not happen.
>>
>>45019066
>>45019207
It physically can't BE released this week, not unless it screamed through layout since last Monday and Dave didn't mention a single thing about it while he's been posting in here.
>>
>>45019812

Dave is keeping it a surprise.
>>
>>45019847
Possible, but unlikely.

Where did all this "tonight" bullshit come from anyway?
>>
>>45019876

Tonight.
>>
>>45018356
>>45018067
on the topic of nChangeling, I've heard it mentioned that on a CofD "power tier", changelings fall below mages and sin-eaters, but higher than vampires or werewolves. I don't know much about Changeling, so it kinda puzzles me how they can be considered more powerful than vampires with their OP Disciplines, or werewolves with their insane physical prowess; can someone explain how changelings rank so high then?
>>
>>45020038

Changelings are 3rd after Mages and Demons. Changelings are high on the power tier because they can create contracts with enough loop holes to game the system. High powered Changeling also start to become True Fey, which would put them on the same power level of Archmasters.

See Equinox Road for more details on high powered Changeling shenanigans.
>>
>>45020038
>>45020103
Yeah. Generally. But what with 2nd edition having come out for Vamps and Weres, you have to be careful about them simply walking up to you and beating 11 kinds of crap out of you. Both are much stronger in direct combat now.
>>
>>45020143

Sure, but high powered 1e changelings haven't been power creeped completely. Its not really fair to compare 1e to 2e, but in 1e, changelings are in general much more powerful than werewolves and a bit stronger than vampires.
>>
>>45020143
Werewolves are hilariously powerful in 2e, now, especially since "any enemy using a supernatural power" can trigger Death Rage, depending on the werewolf. Death Rage is bad for PC werewolves, but more in the sense of "you might kill something you'd prefer to keep alive". As far as enemy werewolves go, Death Rage isn't a drawback at all.
>>
>>45020217
Yeah. I suspect Changelings won't get that much in-your-face improvement, but rather more utility in the contracts and stuff.
>>
Guys, is Rich kill?
>>
>>45020239
In a one-on-one fight, a properly built vampire pulls sliiightly ahead. Werewolf wins on utility though, and having to push FAR less xp into being a viable combat monster.
>>
>>45020038
>>45020103
Also check out Swords At Dawn, which introduces the Talecrafting mechanic, which can be all kinds of bullshit in the right player's hands. Essentially lets you use the Wyrd to invoke tropes as they happen or force them to happen, at the cost of risking some counter-trope backfire. Shit, the book even fuckin references TVTropes itself.

Anyway, with these kind of power scale rankings, I think it's more about versatility than sheer power. A mage with preptime could probably wipe the floor with just about anything, but caught unawares, he's just chunky salsa on the wall. A sin-eater is almost unstoppable when he gets serious, but the downside is that Plasm is pretty goddamn hard to get a hold of compared to Vitae, Glamour, or Essence. Vampires and werewolves could probably steamroll over a changeling, but that changeling can do a hell of a lot more with Contracts for a hell of a lot cheaper than the former two splats can with their comparatively limited resources. Plus, with the exception of maybe political influence, there's practically nothing a vampire has at his disposal that can compare with what a changeling can get at a Goblin Market.
>>
>>45020326

We talked about wanting to see the Monday Meeting Notes too much. Now we have to wait until Tuesday.
>>
>>45020533
Where I am, it is Tuesday already. Where is my meeting?
>>
>>45020607

Why'd you go and say that? Now we have to wait until Wednesday.
>>
It's late because Rich has to hype up Mage being release later this week. Trust.
>>
>>45020453
Well, there's also their supernatural weaknesses to consider. It's a lot harder, not to mention a lot more expensive, to get your hands on silver weapons. Meanwhile, all you need is a molotov cocktail or a can of aerosol and a lighter, and you can send vampires screaming like little girls. That's a simplification, but generally fire's not out of anyone's monster-slaying budget.
>>
>>45020675

Silver really isn't that rare. Silver weapons, sure, but a silver candlestick is enough to blugeon a werewolf to death.
>>
>>45020704
The candlestick might (ok, will) break though. It's a race between which can take more whacks, the Werewolf or the decoration.
Also, vampires need to be seriously careful about Werewolves who've picked up the Elemental Gift.
>>
>>45020704
Has to be 80% pure silver, and it won't last long as a wolf in Gauru would just bite your arm off
>>
>>45020704
Yeah but how many people do you know are stupid or crazy enough to get that close to a werewolf? A war form would tear your arm off before you even got to midswing. Besides, I don't think silver bludgeons actually do much to a Forsaken since the silver has to be in their bloodstream and such to take effect. A candlestick would only really work on the Pure.
>>
>>45020765
More likely scenario: Urshul, Arm Wrack.
>>
I'm curious as to how the various splats of CofD handle the problem of overlapping territories. I mean it's kinda ridiculous to think that in a setting where the various supernatural entities are at least somewhat aware of each other that a city would only belong to one race. How many of you have had games that dealt with this issue?
>>
>>45020871
>I mean it's kinda ridiculous to think that in a setting where the various supernatural entities are at least somewhat aware of each other that a city would only belong to one race.
>city would only belong to one race
That's not a thing, outside of very, very specific and rare circumstances
>>
>>45020871

The various splats have different areas of interest and far different priorities. To the extent they compete, I imagine they would employ mundane proxies and the supernatural communities and social groups would try to ensure nothing foolishly escalated.
>>
>>45020871
Werewolf 2e mentions that tribes like the Iron Masters will hunt down vampires that try to set up their domain inside their territory,
>>
>>45020946
>>45020991
I would think that, for supernatural beings that fear widespread human involvement, any reprisals would be an eye for an eye situation and escalation being the absolute worst case scenario. The kind of shit shown in the Underworld movie with vampires and lycans openly attacking each other in public would definitely be a clusterfuck in a CofD game.
>>
>>45020991
While some account themselves dedicated “vampire hunters” or the like, most are content to let sleeping monsters lie unless removing them would be a positive change for the pack’s territory.

It also says they hunt mages.
>>
>>45020453
How does the vampire beat "fully regenerate all bashing and lethal damage every round"? That one Protean Devotion that does Agg?
>>
>>45020871
There's no simple way to look at it.
A Mastigos might cooperate quite amicably with a local Vampire, while a Changeling Ogre might want to break his bones, while a Demon looks on wondering how he might channel them all against the God-Machine.

Almost every city will have a population of each Supernatural faction, barring some persistent effort by some faction (e.g. the Consilium gets its shit together and the Silver Ladder lives up to their party line of exterminating all Vampires).

Every game I've ever played in has had at least one "smooth over problems" session where you're trying to stop a given issue from escalating. Usually solved through murder, much to my dissatisfaction.
>>
How do I even get started? Like, where the fuck do I dive into this mess?
>>
>>45021118
Massive damage.
Vigor, Physical Intensity, Frenzy, and a big weapon can be enough to cause roll-over. And every time roll-over is achieved, it's easier to do it again.
>>
>>45021149
grab the appropriate rulebook, some friends, d10s, play
>>
>>45021149
Step 1: Decide what you want to play.

What do you want to play?
>>
>>45021149
http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/classicworldofdarkness/
http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/chroniclesofdarkness/

Pick a gameline, buy the core book.
>>
>>45021149
Read the core book you like the sound of first, or at least read the fluff at the beginning.
If you like the sound of that, it's worth reading the rules to see how it works.
>>
>>45021188
>>45021211
God-Machine is what got me interested. Just read that? There's a lot I'm interested in.
>>
>>45021268
That, and Demon the Descent.
The former's more setting infomation about it, the latter's the main playable Supernatural faction who interact with the God-Machine.
>>
>>45021268

Read the CofD core if you want more mortals. If not, just pick the core book of the splat you want to play. Requiem for Vampires, Forsaken for Werewolves, ect.

They are stand alone lines so just pick whichever you want to start with. They don't cross over unless you want them to.
>>
>>45021129

The world really sucks for humans with some minor supernatural abilities. They have enough supernatural juice to get noticed by the A-listers, but really have no one watching their backs.

I would compare the situation to organized crime. All the major supernatural splats are equivalent to made men in powerful crime families and know that vendettas, escalation, and open war is really bad for all their businesses. However, a two-bit supernatural punk operating in any of their territories will quickly be co-opted or disappeared with extreme prejudice.
>>
>>45021077
I would think Werewolves specifically hunting down Vampires in their territory would be subtle about it.

Take the whole pack, do it stealthily, lots of Tilts, then just straight-up eat the bastard and don't leave any evidence. It's not like Vampires bleed.
>>
>>45021343

Actually, they do.
>>
>>45021319
>>45021318
Interesting. Thanks.
>>
>>45021343
in Damnation City there's a vampire who sleeps in a coffin

someone broke in and nailed it shut
>>
File: 1403585524168.jpg (148 KB, 644x650) Image search: [Google]
1403585524168.jpg
148 KB, 644x650
/wodg/, I have a question for you. Is it possible to make a car Hedge Beast? How would you even stat that out if it was?
>>
>>45021361
Only if they want to, or imitate living humans.
>>
>>45021361
only if they haveblush of life active

a vampire who wakes up form daysleep with a pack of werewolves around him is unlikely to activate it
>>
>>45021330
>They have enough supernatural juice to get noticed by the A-listers, but really have no one watching their backs.
It's really mostly each splat's antagonists which you have to worry about as a minor template.
Banishers, the Pure, Stryxis, Gentry, Huntsmen, the Mad, Privateers, and so forth.

From what I've read (but not experienced) most factions are written in such a way that they acknowledge the importance and use of mortals and mortals with minor powers.

You're likely to get dragged into whatever conflict is currently ongoing, without the power of most players, but really not by any means are you doomed.

Plus, you can have people watching your back.
That's what the Ally merit is for.
>>
>>45021391
>>45021403

Vampires who get their limbs hacked off bleed.
>>
>>45021330
One exception does come to mind: mystically-Endowed hunters have a Conspiracy at their back, which is nice. Of course, their job largely consists of antagonizing things bigger than them, so they kind of need it.
>>
http://theonyxpath.com/53-years-a-nerd-monday-meeting-notes/

HERE WE FUCKING GO
>>
>Mage: the Awakening Second – Awaiting approved text. In the queue after Dark Eras.
> In the queue after Dark Eras.

KILL ME
I
L
L

M
E
>>
>>45021455
only with blush of life

they don't have blood to spill, they're corpses
>>
>>45021365
Assuming the coffin was made of wood, I don't see how that would accomplish jack shit unless they buried it and poured cement on it or something. If they really wanted to do away with the vampire, they'd have just pulled him out of the coffin and leave him in broad daylight.
>>
File: Magical Fey Motorcycle.png (446 KB, 723x989) Image search: [Google]
Magical Fey Motorcycle.png
446 KB, 723x989
>>45021376
Sure.
>>
>>45021502
Fuck.
>>
>>45021506
it was just a warning

he couldn't get out of the coffin

because i twas nailed shut
>>
>>45021454

I did indeed note that these lesser supernaturals would be co-opted to join and serve the major supernatural groups, but if they refused, well there really isn't a second choice that has much of a life expectancy...
>>
>>45021502
Wait. Mage just needs approvals, Dark Eras needs art.
And Mage is somehow BEHIND Dark Eras in the queue? How does that work?

Ah well. At least Signs of Sorcery is in Second Draft.
I wonder if we'll have that one finished before 2e core is out.
>>
>>45021502
>Dark Eras – Art on expansions continues. Sketches coming in from a couple of artists already.
So, Dark Eras isn't even close to being done and the art isn't even close to being finished.

Holy shit, Gen Con confirmed.
>>
>>45021588
>there really isn't a second choice that has much of a life expectancy
Murder is a breaking point for (I think) every faction, I like to think that most NPCs aren't low-integrity psychopaths.
>>
>>45021589
and ze Pack is fully contracted for art
>>
File: well okay then.gif (879 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
well okay then.gif
879 KB, 245x230
>>45021511
Well, okay then.
>>
>>45021632
The Pack doesn't interest me as much. Since there has been no word of what's actually in it.

Mage has me drooling because I know what to expect, and it looks good. The Pack is a complete unknown, so that getting closer to completion isn't that exciting.
>>
>>45021361
The fact that they don't bleed is why they take Bashing from edged weapons as well in 2e.
>>
File: 1367367032700.jpg (54 KB, 984x720) Image search: [Google]
1367367032700.jpg
54 KB, 984x720
Guys I think I broke. I think I'm actually really fucking angry now.
>>
>>45021627

Murder is such an ugly word. I like to look at it as "aggressive negotiations" necessary to protect the secrets of our supernatural community.

It's very unfortunate that some foolishly intransigent individuals have "accidents" before we have the opportunity to fully explain the benefits of serving our illustrious groups.
>>
>>45021787

If they lose their limbs, vitae still spills out as regular, non-vitae blood.
>>
>>45021502
Considering how fucking huge Dark Eras is, I now expect a 2017 release.

Also, doesn't Dark Eras' Mage stuff USE the 2e rules? What sense does this make?
>>
>>45021155
Dude, werewolves can have like twelve health boxes. And that's average. Nevermind that they can do Down And Dirty Combat.
>>
Mage 2e will never be released.

It's all been a cruel joke.

Dave and Rich have been stringing us along for over a year and a half for nothing by shits and giggles.
>>
>>45021804
You can try and explain it away any way you like, but every act of murder is still a breaking point.

It sticks in the craw and bloodies your hands.
It is man turned against man, and regardless of what you have gained (or lost), you are still a man.

It would take a certain kind of ruler to decide to flat out murder an empath because he didn't want to scan one of his rivals. Instead he might force him to, or threaten him. But murder? That's just the loss of a potential future resource.
>>
>>45021836
>Considering how fucking huge Dark Eras is, I now expect a 2017 release.
Don't be stupid

more than half of it was already written (and art already contracted)

the rest is done being written now, just in editing
>>
I guess this would be a bad time to add that it's not actually in the queue yet. Paradox still hasn't actually approved Mage 2e. Currently, Paradox needs to approve:

-Mage 2e
-Beast the Primordial Anthology
-Truth Until Paradox
-Beast the Primordial Storytelling Screen

That's an awfully small queue. Like I can understand Mage taking up all the time but still.
>>
>>45021853

True, although Down & Dirty Combat does not apply when werewolves are fighting significant opponents, and vampires surely qualify. It's designed to quickly and messily eradicate normal humans and assorted mooks, thugs, lackeys, and toadies.
>>
>>45021933
>and vampires surely qualify.
depends on level of werewolf
lykaon ur can probably treat most vampires w/ down and dirty
>>
File: FUCK.gif (2 MB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.gif
2 MB, 400x224
>>45021502
GODDAMNIT. MAGE IS A YEAR AND A HALF LATE, AND NOW WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR DARK ERAS FIRST?!? DARK ERAS USES 2E RULES, WHAT THE FUCK?!?
>>
>>45021853
They can't use down and dirty combat against actual dangerous opponents, and you know it.

And I agree it's unlikely that they hammer through it, but it is possible.

Let's go for a hypothetical combat monster, start character Daeva.
4 Strength, 4 Weaponry (spec on axes), Vigor 3. Blood Potency 3.
This bastard has stolen a fire ax, and is really pissed off at the werewolf.

In Frenzy this guy has a dice pool of 21 (9 again), if he goes full out. And on a hit he'll do 6 additional levels of lethal damage.
This, of course, assumes full expenditure of Vitae for Physical intensity, and damage increase for Vigor.

(Of course, the equivalent would be a Glory 2, Purity 1 Rahu Blood Talon, and it would be a lot less likely there.)
>>
>>45021893
>you are still a man

Why you would throw around such tawdry and demeaning insults?

You and I are no longer mere men any more than humans are the same as baboons and moneys.

You are a predator, yet your concern is for the prey. It's just so sad.
>>
>>45021836
>>45021973

It also uses 1e rules for the lines that haven't been updated yet, and it's a Kickstarter project. Kickstarter projects take priority because if you're late with Mage, folks are just angry. If you're too late with a Kickstarter project, you get Exalted 3e or worse, a Far West situation where someone actually calls the DA on your ass.
>>
File: qtjtla3xfs6gdkg9bunj.jpg (315 KB, 1600x1003) Image search: [Google]
qtjtla3xfs6gdkg9bunj.jpg
315 KB, 1600x1003
>>45015958
>Let's talk inspiration. What are some good shows (movies, books, vidya) that can provide ideas for a chronicle?

The movie "What We Do in the Shadows" could also be called "Wellington By Night" and is a mockumentary following a group of vampires through their...masquerade...in New Zealand. It's by the guys that did Flight of the Conchords and is worth it for the few brilliant moments it has.

And it's getting a sequel, following a group of lycanthropes who are always trying to control their anger ("What are we?" "Werewolves not swearwolves.")

It's going to be called "We're Wolves" which is just clever enough to be amazing.
>>
>>45022081

I'm very excited for We're Wolves, and deep in my heart of hearts I hope we get a third one about the wizards, witches and warlocks.
>>
>>45022059
Oh right, sorry.
We're all men, apart from the mosquitoes. They're just walking bags of blood.
>>
I quote RichT, regarding Mage, in the comments below the Monday Meeting:

"It’s done with the text approval and on to layout now. Just not being laid out yet."

Dracula Eriksson was apparently able to take some time off from his LARP-fantasies.
>>
>>45022315
ALL IS FORGIVEN. DRACULA BEST OVERLORD
>>
>>45022315

Oh thank goodness. Now we will see it in our lifetimes.
>>
>>45022327
>>45022371

We still need to wait for Dark Eras. Which doesn't even have all it's art in.

I'm fucking done waiting. How best to homebrew 1.5e?
>>
>>45022413
>I'm fucking done waiting. How best to homebrew 1.5e?
get mage the awakening 1e book
use daves 1.5 homebrew posted on the forum
come back whining in a week because you don't have any friends to play with
>>
>>45022461
I read dave's 1.5, that was done before FWC was even a thing. its way out of date.
>>
Does anyone know how Onyx Path is doing financially?
If they are doing well, hiring a Layout specialist might not be a bad idea. They have lots of stuff in the layout stage now.
>>
>>45022979

they have one, his name is Mike.
>>
>>45022979

They're the smallest small small small tiny itsy bitsy indiest indie company in the universe you will ever find ever

And that's what they'll claim so they can keep getting away with bullshit like this forever
>>
>>45022987
I mean, hire ANOTHER Layout specialist. To help Mike.
>>
>>45023025

I mean, they're not wrong. It's a company of three fully hired people.
>>
>>45019565
No, but they can have sub-merits (so it's 4 dots, and can have multiple 1-3 dot bonuses).

Or if you read Beast, they have Advanced & Epic Merits, which build on existing Merits.
>>
>>45023123
And bonuses can push them up over the limit.
Seers of the Throne for instance will be adding their Order Status to their effective Resources.
>>
>>45023117

They have 3 people because Rich is a cheap fuck that wants to pocket profits for himself, rather than get books on time.

Remember how they had 27 books slated for release by December?
>>
File: Orichalcum Chef.png (863 KB, 700x1068) Image search: [Google]
Orichalcum Chef.png
863 KB, 700x1068
>>45021875
>year and a half

awwwwww
>>
NO HOPE.
NO HOPE.
NO HOPE.
I DONT EVEN GIVE A SINGLE FUCK ABOUT DARK ERAS. FUCK.
>>
>>45017942
NWod is fun and accessible changeling is a blast haven't played mage yet but its fluff is really cool IMO wod in general is one of my favorite systems
>>
>>45021893
>You can try and explain it away any way you like, but every act of murder is still a breaking point.
Not if a Vampire takes it as a Bane. Or is low enough Humanity.
Not for Werewolves.
Not for Sin-eaters.

>>45021627
Not every faction does, and sometimes murder is necessitated. Not every Breaking Point is an instant Integrity drop, just the threat of one.

>>45021933
>>45022057
As far as I'm aware, it's anyone they Outrank. It doesn't actually say anything about how to determine what's "lesser", just
>Gauru force all lesser enemies — including most humans, spirits of lower Rank, and non-supernatural animals — to use Down and Dirty combat
Even then, a Werewolf is more capable of dealing massive damage than a Vampire. The Vampire would need to be ludicrously cheesed.

I mean, even in your sample character there you assume he's going to GET to Frenzy, that he has NO merits, that he went all-in with Vigor instead of spreading his Disciplines, that he went all-in with Strength and Weaponry, that he has full vitae. And then you go "but a Werewolf doesn't get the same Magical Christmas Tree set up".

A werewolf needs a lot less. Even a rather normal Werewolf will have Strength 6 and be throwing about 10 dice and subtracting only Dex or Wits. And that's with NO special builds or powers.

Or the Werewolf can go Urshul, attack the vampire with a dice pool of 9 minus Defense, Knockdown, Arm Wrack, Grapple, and continue to bite until the thing dies. Assuming it doesn't choose to then shift up to Gauru and rip and tear that way.
>>
>gencon release actually confirmed

holy fucking shit. dark eras doesn't even have all the art done yet. how it being laid out before mage?
>>
>>45023331
>Even then, a Werewolf is more capable of dealing massive damage than a Vampire. The Vampire would need to be ludicrously cheesed.

I dunno. The benefits of Physical Intensity and Frenzy are pretty impressive. Especially at higher levels.
>>
I for one welcome the Path's absorption by our new Swedish overlords.
>>
>>45022413
>>45022519
>Use 1e
>Use the stopgap rules
>Replace stop gap rules with spoilers

>>45019565
>>45023123
Merits can go above 5 dots, but none of them are assumed to go higher. This is also why some merits are broken out now (so each language is it's own merit, instead of each one being consecutively harder to buy)

>>45023192
Dude there's not exactly a bunch of profit in the first place. I dont' really think they CAN hire anyone.
>>
>>45023331
In Geists, Murder is a sin against Synergy 3.
In Werewolf, it's always a breaking point towards Spirit.
Also yes, Vampires can do that, my bad. But that's still a Bane.

>sometimes murder is necessitated
Not in the situation which was mentioned, which amounted to someone existing who didn't work for you.
>>
>>45023214

I'm gonna eat that fucking steak
>>
>>45023192

If you seriously think there are any sick profits to be made in this business, you're wrong. The time of making a lot of money put of the RPG business has long passed, if it ever occured.
>>
>>45023408
>In Geists, Murder is a sin against Synergy 3.
No?
Closest you get is Serial Murder, at Synergy 2, although that's never actually defined in a WoD game, so I can only assume they mean the FBI definition, which usually involves psychosexual reasons. There's also killing someone to restore your own Health, which is always a drop. But no, nothing about murder being a Synergy 3 Breaking Point.

Likewise, Werewolves also Break towards Flesh if they eat pizza. Their Breaking Points aren't nearly as bad, and they don't cause you to become a Condition riddled madman, like what was implied.
>>
>>45023606

They make more than enough to hire more than 3 people.
>>
>>45022161
> wizards, witches and warlocks
www.magic.com
>>
>>45023408
> In Geists, Murder is a sin against Synergy 3.
Nope. The first thing about Synergy I noted was how much SEs can get away with, including and not limited to murder. They can't torture and they can't be serial or mass murderers (and the definitions can be stretchy), but otherwise they're the freest critters in 1e.
> But that's still a Bane.
What I like about 2e Integrity is its flexibility. It's entirely possible to make a vampire who can indiscriminately murder people without budging from 10 Humanity (not that your ST won't call you out on this, but it's the thought that matters).
>>
>>45023778
The Synergy chart is explicitly in addition to the Morality chart, senpai.
>>
File: 1452629359717.jpg (36 KB, 610x601) Image search: [Google]
1452629359717.jpg
36 KB, 610x601
>>45023807
First time I've heard of it.
>>
Does anyone remember what the potency spoilers for 2e were? I remember Dave saying he wouldn't spoil them, but I remember something along the lines of extra potency being a -2 dice roll. Is increasing the potency of a spell considered reaching?
>>
>>45023807
Eh. Where did you get that from?
>>
>>45023377
Come on, Purity Rage gives you your Purity as straight up extra damage, Rahu get 8 again on most claw attacks, Purity gift of strength massively boosts it, Purity increases HP from Full moons gift... And let's not even talk the kinda crazy shit fetishes can do. Werewolves, especially Rahu are serious power houses.
>>
>>45023846
>Is increasing the potency of a spell considered reaching?

No. For each -2 on the spellcasting roll, you may increase a spell factor such as Potency or Duration by 1.

Reach permits access to the Advanced Factor charts, allows spell to be cast instantly instead of in ritual time, and other "special" effects.
>>
>>45023807
No it isn't. Why would you get that impression...

>Synergy takes the place of Morality, but is even less of a barometer of how "moral" a character is. It represents how well the Bound has integrated with the urges and drives of her geist, which may be a *positive* thing but not necessarily a *good* thing.
(Page 84)
>The Nature of Discord
>One doesn't "sin" against Synergy -- one imperils it. As a representation of the unity between the mortal and geist, Synergy is put at risk by actions that cause the geist to revolt against the host's will, or by actions that make the host repulsed by the nature of her geist. The "rightness" of an action is of little consequence: what makes it a discord trigger is how it imperils the bond.
(I mean, that's clearly not true, but still, that's what it claims)
>Sin-Eaters do not test Synergy for acts that might be sins against Morality such as committing theft, assault, or selfish acts or thoughts. The objects of the material world, and even the physical health of its denizens are as ephemeral as ectoplasm. Everyone dies. Things break down. Sin-Eaters quickly come to grips with this reality, especially given that they get ti see the ghosts left behind after people die and things break.
(page 84)

Also fuck you for making me type that up, my WoD books are propping up my table top.
>>
>>45023898
Here is what I did to deal with Werewolves as a vampire. I invested in a silver dagger. From there, I maximized my defense through Celerity and standard means. After that, I learned the weapon fighting style (Thrust, I believe the move is called) that allows you to sacrifice defense on a one for one basis to add additional dice to an attack. I then proceeded to gain the professional training merit with weaponry as one of my asset skills, allowing me to spend a willpower point to use the Rote and 9-Again qualities on my weaponry attacks in addition to any specialties and such.

Attacking with Fighting Finesse allowed me to use 27 attacking dice before defense, with the Rote and 9-Again Qualities. Most of the time, even the most sturdy Rahu would fall in one strike due to how much aggravated damage was being put out.

Werewolves are pack animals, and while they can be intimidating alone they have very strong weaknesses, and like real wolves they rely on each other's tenacity to pick up the slack if one of them gets taken down. I think a vampire, especially a frenzying vampire can easily take down a singular werewolf, but that same vampire would get his shit pushed in if the werewolf had his pack around, no question.
>>
>>45024140
Thrust is utterly broken when used by an Ordo Wyrm-pire.
>>
>>45024140
You know. If any of the wolves manages to use Hit & Run after you've begun a thrust, you are toast.
You've failed to hit a wolf, you've pissed them off by using silver, and you have lowered defence. That is BAD.
>>
>>45024159
Yes, yes it is. Thrust is broken in general, a Wyrmpire just takes it even farther.
>>
>>45024182
Myeah. Our group limited the benefit from Thrust. You can't get more dice from Thrust than you have Weaponry dots.
>>
>>45024172
Guess I'm pretty fucked then. I'm curious though, if a Vampire used Celerity to interrupt a Werewolf's attack, can the Werewolf still use Hit and Run while they're doing an attack?
>>
They should go further and rename the lines with the same name so people don't get confused

Like keep Vampire for nWoD but change it to Vampyre for oWoD
>>
>>45024363
It provokes a Clash of Wills (it says this in the write up).
>>
>>45024394
As far as I see, the only thing prompting a Clash of Wills with Celerity is if multiple Vampires try to jump to the head of the queue. What and where are you referring to, exactly?
>>
>>45024450
>As far as I see, the only thing prompting a Clash of Wills with Celerity is if multiple Vampires try to jump to the head of the queue. What and where are you referring to, exactly?
Not that Anon, but Hit and Run also works as an interrupt. If competing powers are used by opponents they go into clash of will.
Same happens if a vampire tries to use Celerity against a Mage with the right Time spell active.
>>
>>45024450
It says so in the Werewolf book.
>>
>>45024567
But the question at hand is this: can someone use an interrupt while being interrupted themselves?
>>
>>45024590
>But the question at hand is this: can someone use an interrupt while being interrupted themselves?
That's what make the clash happen.
Unless the interrupting power specifically states it cannot be used against other interrupts or there are other explicid limiters on its activation that apply.
But in general, nothing stops you from trying to interrupt an interrupt.
>>
>>45015958

I'm working on a fan-splat based on contemporary war fiction, like Apocalypse Now, Generation Kill, Spec Ops: The Line, etc. Something like military-bent slasher.
>>
>>45024609
Even if you;re currently doing another action you can still use interrupts? Do you effectively cancel out the action that you were previously using by doing so? How does Interrupting someone interrupting you doing an action work?
>>
>>45024450
>>45024567
I'm assuming it's renamed in the most up to date version? Or my version is more up to date:
>• Chase Down: Spend 1 Essence to pre-empt another character’s action in combat with your own; usually an attack. This takes the place of a normal action. If other characters are capable of pre-empting actions, it becomes a Clash of Wills (see p. 115). If your character has already acted in a turn, she cannot use this ability. In a foot chase, an Urhan uses Speed in place of Stamina + Athletics.

>>45024635
Don't see why not.

>>45024625
Is it a splat, or more using the Storyteller system to run a different kind of game?
>>
File: brb larping.jpg (24 KB, 267x314) Image search: [Google]
brb larping.jpg
24 KB, 267x314
>>
>>45024860
Eh, he did his job, so he can go LARP if he wants to.
>>
>>45024886

Dracula can now LARP his little goth heart out (at least until the next WW book needs approval).

Mage 2e is now in the hands of Mike Chaney for final layout. Sadly, Dark Eras is ahead in the layout queue.
>>
>>45024935
That is something I don't fully understand. Why is Dark Eras ahead of Mage 2e when Mage 2e gives rules for Dark Eras?
>>
>>45024969
Dark Eras finished first. I doubt it's going to be released a substantial amount of time before Mage 2e.
>>
>>45024969
Promethean's final drafts were in over a year ago, when Mage's first drafts were still being playtested and redlined.

Consider how many developers are working on how many projects. Whenever something catches fire, that's a few days spent putting it out and fixing what got burned. That's a few days they can't spend on project XYZ. A bug comes up in playtesting. Someone's rules don't work. Someone got fired and now all their stuff has to be rewritten. Things happen, other projects have to take precedence for a bit, and things fall behind.

The cost of getting consistently good books (mostly at least) is no set schedule. Everyone at OPP has said this hundreds of times.

I'm interested in VtM4, seeing how different Paradox handles it.
>>
>>45025056
>Someone got fired and now all their stuff has to be rewritten.

AmyV is that you
>>
>>45023331
It's a breaking point towards spirit for werewolves.
>>
>>45025056
>A bug comes up in playtesting. Someone's rules don't work.
I like 2e's mechanics, but I feel like you might be giving them too much credit.

And was Promethean really done a year ago?

>>45025093
Yes, and? Werewolf Breaking Points don't mean the same thing as Integrity ones.
>Murder is a breaking point for (I think) every faction, I like to think that most NPCs aren't low-integrity psychopaths.
It doesn't turn you into a psychopath. It just makes you less in tune with your nature (or MORE in tune! They're encouraged to kill people sometimes!)
>>
>>45023404
Hm...mostly trying to figure out for the sake of demonic pacts, I was wondering if a demon could take someone above resources 5 for example.
>>
>>45025131
Yes.

>>45025071
No writing of mine was thrown out. See also: The Demon STG
>>
You know I have thought of the perfect Werewolf Pack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtlHz9PZS-8
>>
>>45025139
Technically, sure, but at Resources 7 you can literally buy everything.
>>
>>45025240
"Aquabat" sounds like it's definitely a Magath. Also, they have a TV show? Aren't they from the 90s?
>>
>>45020765
>A Jewish family's house is the perfect anti-werewolf fortress
>>
>>45025470
>Also, they have a TV show? Aren't they from the 90s?
yes, also Eaglebones has a Spirit Totem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWshfvgy8a4
>>
>>45025583
Is... that Lou Diamond Philips?
>>
>>45025618
I don't know?
>>
I'm curious what exactly behind Dark Eras in the queue means, practically speaking. Does Mike work on stuff one at a time, so that further progress on Mage2 is effectively gated behind art for DE, or does he work on whatever is open at the time, or what?
>>
>>45024450
>>45024363
Celerity can't interrupt reflexive actions. So there would be no clash of wills.
>>
What was your Sire up to in Bloodlines, anyway? You never do get to ask about him, do you?

>>45026037
You can still interrupt someone else's Celerity use, because that lets them use an Instant action. Both Celerity and Chase Down spell this out.
>>
>>45026073
Clock Up
>CLOCK UP!
Their needs to be a Worm Bloodline for the Gangrels with Celerity.
>>
>>45026073
I see your point there.
>>
>>45026102
Worm?
>>
>>45026114
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiJHUnPB0Y0
These things, I assume you can pull off the shapeshifting with Protean.
>>
Dark Eras when?
>>
>>45026134
>>
>>45026073
The Sire is a she, and no, we never learn
>>
File: Toreador.jpg (148 KB, 566x850) Image search: [Google]
Toreador.jpg
148 KB, 566x850
>>45026153
>The Sire is a she
If your character is male, sure. Mine isn't.
>>
>>45026102
It's telling, and not in a good way, that when I read "CLOCK UP", I imagine it being said in a squicky Japanese voice at the opening of a hentai game.
>>
>>45026208
Heh.
>>
The Sixth Watchtower was a mistake.
>>
>>45026208
H mo Game mo Kaihatsu Zanmai was genuinely pretty funny, for a nukige.
>>
>>45026293
Eh. What?
>>
>>45026308
The Sixth Watchtower, you know, the one within the Realm of Forces and Spirits, it was a mistake.
>>
>>45026323
It's also non-canonical
>>
>>45026323

Why?
>>
>>45026323
No. The Sixth Watchtower is the collective power of the Vampiric Blood.
>>
>>45026328
Well good.
>>
>>45026340
No, the Sixth Watchtower is three squirrels under a cloak with a ring of levitation.
>>
>>45026340
I think the Sixth Watchtower is Blood, not necessarily vampire blood.
The Seventh is The Abyss.
>>
>>45026351
That just gave me an idea for a Mage, it's a Thyrsus Squirrel with a Legacy related to Mind and I have no idea what Order it would be part of. It give the illusion that it is in fact human by taking control of all the squirrels it can and piling them up under a cloak.
>>
>>45025526
Gold doesn't substitute for silver, fampire.
>>
>>45026480
I'm pretty certain the Seventh Watchtower is whatever the Tremere are working at.
>>
>>45026577
The Soul
>>
File: 1446421162907.png (257 KB, 359x530) Image search: [Google]
1446421162907.png
257 KB, 359x530
>>45026351
> Lady of Pain is a gnosis and space 10 Mastigos archmage, and Sigil is her Golden Road and the dabus, her sub-souls
IT FITS
>>
File: 143024792930.png (2 MB, 995x1462) Image search: [Google]
143024792930.png
2 MB, 995x1462
Apparently I missed a party.

Does CofD differ from nWoD 2e in any way aside from the name? I'm running Hunter, does anything change there?
>>
File: 1453326908727.jpg (19 KB, 261x260) Image search: [Google]
1453326908727.jpg
19 KB, 261x260
>>45026673
> more than one image per frame
Please kill yourself immediately.
>>
File: 1432465808133.jpg (130 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1432465808133.jpg
130 KB, 1920x1080
>>45026734
Ain't my picture, my player made it.
>>
File: Nudist Snake.jpg (410 KB, 901x1167) Image search: [Google]
Nudist Snake.jpg
410 KB, 901x1167
>>45026673
What books are you using to run Hunter?

Also, no, not really. CofD is basically 2e. Technically it might also be 1e. But the Chronicles of Darkness corebook is a replacement for both the GMC and original Corebook, making it easier to play Hunter. Unless you want some of the Conditions, like Soulless. Then you'll want GMC.

For Hunter, you'll ideally have Hunter, CofD core, and Mortal Remains.

Or just this part of Mortal Remains https://a.uguu.se/hhpwva_MortalRemainsRulesUpdate.pdf

>>45026734
Plenty of people do that. I've always felt that a hectic mess in the WIG section is fitting in most cases.
>>
>>45026751
GMC rules update for chargen, HtV for covenants and a sneak peek into Mortal Remains to see if Covenent merit rules changed.

Therefore I'm good. Thanks.

Man, it's gonna be weird calling the game CofD
>>
>>45026749
>>45026751
> my player made it
> Plenty of people do that.
Please kill them all immediately.
>>
>>45026802
Well SOMEONE quite clearly does not realize how little power they have.
>>
>>45026802
>"I don't like it so no one should do it"
>>
>>45026838
Give me your address and I'll show you the extent of my power, fuccboi.
>>45026860
> having no sense of taste
When I grow up, I will be shanking fools like you.
>>
>>45026910
>When I grow up,
underage get out.
>>
File: 1444289416954.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1444289416954.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>45026923
a r e y o u f o r f u c k i n g r e a l
>>
>>45026910
>Give me your address and I'll show you the extent of my power,
What power? Your just a normal person.
>>
>>45026956
Yes
>>
>>45026910
out now
>>45026956
he is and so am i child
>>
>>45026910
>Give me your address and I'll show you the extent of my power, fuccboi.
Wouldn't work, your mother doesn't let you out long enough and you aren't allowed to drive yet.
Give your adress and we can come over. We all want to know the extent of your power!
>>
>>45015042
>and if you *could* counter it then he was just a very tough guy with a strong punch.
Yes, but tough in this case is that he just flat out cannot be killed for a minimum of 9 rounds of combat. Which increases by one round for every additional Pillar he has bought after chargen. Couple that with the strong punch you get someone really terrifying to face.
>>
>>45026511
A lot of Jewish holy instruments (such as their menorah candlesticks) tend to be made of silver. Their culture considers it a pure metal (though, interestingly, they believe that it is gold that is best for repelling evil spirits).
>>
>>45027817
> (though, interestingly, they believe that it is gold that is best for repelling evil spirits).
Gold is yet purer, so no wonder. They came to use silver simply because it's more available, duh.
>>
>>45015958
I get inspiration from finding horrible shit on the internet and converting it into live form.

My main badguy right now is one of "The Mad" from Mage the Awakening, based on the insane genius who came up with this shit.
>>
>>45024886

He took 2 months to do his job. I don't see how him finally being done absolves him of his 2 month long reading process.
>>
>>45028044
So do his Tulpas turn things into Bologna, Ham and Cheese?
>>
>>45026860

It defeats the purpose of them. You lose a punchline in exchange for leinside jokes.
>>
>>45028076
Basically yes, and he does it willingly himself.
>>
>>45028081
The clusterfuck oftentimes is the punchline, especially in pnp games.
>>
>>45028103

the clusterfuck is a poor excuse for when you can't think of a real punchline. brevity is the you know what.
>>
File: eyes of a tired man.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
eyes of a tired man.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>>45028044

Goddamn I haven't seen that one in forever
>>
>>45028081
Leinside?
Also, no. Like >>45028103 says, that sometimes is the punchline. Especially when it's [something] + [something tonally different].
What I played was "Batman + Deadpool" (Which is Moon Knight?)

>>45028116
You're acting like there's only one way to do it. Sometimes one thing doesn't fit.
>>
>>45028148

There is only one right way to do it. The clusterfuck way is objectively inferior. The point of these have never been to fully sum up all the emotions of what you got, it was to make a simple joke by juxtaposing two opposites.
>>
>>45028148

I don't see how you need multiple pictures to get that across. Just have the final frame be Moon Knight.
>>
>>45028044
That's not the Mad, that's a fucking full-on Abyssal Incursion.
>>
>>45028195
>"My opinion is objective fact"

>>45028210
But a) I'm not sure that actually WOULD be Moon Knight, and b) >Implying anyone knows who Moon Knight is.

>>45028245
He's Mad. His Obsession is delitizing.
>>
>Mirthful Mike was already laying out DE with holes for the art when we got the text back for M2, he is not going to drop work he is in the middle of to jump on Mage. Layout doesn’t work like that.

I don't see how laying out a book that doesn't have all the art done somehow makes it a higher priority than one that does. This doesn't make any sense considering that Mike was working on Mage 2 weeks ago.
>>
>>45028264
Yea, it seems kind of nuts to delay a book that's this close to being done in favor of a book that doesn't even have all of the art in yet.

Especially when said book is YEARS LATE ALREADY.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.