[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Killin' Straad Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: Chronicles_-_Simon_Belmont_-_01.jpg (148 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Chronicles_-_Simon_Belmont_-_01.jpg
148 KB, 1024x768
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>Dungeon Masters Guild, buy and sell 5e shit using Wizard IPs
http://dmsguild.com

How are you planning on bringing down the dark lord?
>>
File: Simon-profile.jpg (150 KB, 300x336) Image search: [Google]
Simon-profile.jpg
150 KB, 300x336
>>45005342
Due to an earlier post, I really wanna make Simon Bellmont. After toying around with some different options, I think at the end of the day, he's just a dex fighter, maybe with eldritch knight, but probably just with champion. All the other build ideas I can up with waste certain things, and I hate doing that. But tell me if you have any other ideas...
>>
YEAH! I'm glad to see that other people are excited for what's essentially a Castlvania setting. I'm giddy with excitement for the new campaign and I hope they add Dhampyrs, Vistani, and a monster hunter tree for the ranger.
>>
>>45005362
I confess I'm not too familiar with his abilities, but why not take levels in Rogue and Sneak Attack with a whip and shortsword?
>>
>>45005342
What alternative Cleric domains are there beyond the PHB ones? On my phone so getting PDFs is a nightmare.
>>
>>45005391
Simon didn't use a sword. Whip, Throwing Knives, Holy Water (Alchemist's Fire), Cross thing I can't replicate without a magic item, and trowing axes. Sneak might work well though.
>>
>>45005409
Arcana. That's it in SCAG.
>>
>>45005391
Getting sneak, doesn't seem as useful as fighter levels, so I don't think I'd do more than a level in it. The rest of what rogues get really doesn't fit as much.
>>
>>45005409
DEATH
>>
Which kind of creatures despite Bats, Wolves, and Vampire Spawn would a Vampire Lair have?

Also how would a Lord that is a Vampire treat his peble?
>>
When you use a touch spell and you miss you can use the spell again without spending the slot since the spell is still in your hand?
>>
>>45005649
Not unless the spell says so. It's a hit or miss thing. Also..
>read the books.
>>
>>45005516
Both answers depend on the Vampire. Some like to keep the people as chattel, living every night knowing it could be their last. Some like to offer protection in exchange for sacrifice, sometime through a secret cult that acquires the offering for the good of the rest. Some like to sleep for long periods of time, coming out to treat themselves to a grand feast once a generation.
>>
>>45005657
I already read all of them, but a player ask me this and I didn't found it.
>>
>>45005693
Because it isn't a thing. The spell is discharged immediately whether you hit or miss it, it doesn't stay in your hand afterwards, where did they even get that idea? Only certain spells allow you to do that like Vampiric Touch (I think) which allows you to keep making a melee touch attack repeatedly.
>>
>>45005705
They said that in 3.5 you could do this, but I don't know much of 3.5
>>
>>45005693
A standard touch spell is expended on a miss, because it's only in your hand for the duration of the spell, which is the action taken to cast it.

A Concentration spell which is expended on a touch (like the Paladin's Smite spells) remains until Concentration is lost or it is expended, meaning you can attempt to discharge its effect again if you miss with it - because the duration of the spell is Concentration.

Either way, if you end up not expending the spell before the duration is over, you cannot 'use' that casting of the spell again, and regardless of whether the spell hits or misses, you expend the spell slot.
>>
>>45005716
This isn't 3.5 and anything they say they could do in 3.5 you probably shouldn't allow unless you know 5E and 3.5E very well. Just stick to the core and it should be fine.
>>
File: ff_devils_generation.jpg (313 KB, 854x1200) Image search: [Google]
ff_devils_generation.jpg
313 KB, 854x1200
>>45005342
Hey faggots.
How hard is it for your to find players in your area that arent complete sperg lords?
I like to play 5e with lite rules, very fast and loose, and I just want to play with people who arent going to be correcting me as DM when I simplify or make shit up.
Everyone at my local comic book shop are fucking rules nazi faggots.
Send help and snacks.
>>
>>45005716
You must unlearn what you have learned. Our GM is going through this with some of our players right now. He has put a strict ban on, "In x edition you could..." or "It was like blah in..." So heavy the ban, that if you start that sentence, he won't listen to the question, regardless of whether or not it might be a legitimate one. You can ask if your character has x option available to them, but he doesn't need your gaming background to give you an answer.
>>
>>45005757
>Start game
>"I run my game with houserules"
>"If you think I adjudicated a rule incorrectly, you're wrong."
>"If you wanna talk to me about how you think something would be better if I handled differently, tell me out of the game. I'll tell you yes, no, or I'll think about it."
>"Alright, what are people playing?"
>>
>>45005757
>>45005785
To be clear, you don't have to have houserules, you just say this so they stop thinking they know the rules.

Option 2: Play Paranoia for a while to get them out of the habit. Telling the GM what the rules are is cause for immediate termination. It says so in the rules.
>>
>>45005757
>How hard is it for your to find players in your area that arent complete sperg lords?
Impossible. Me and a bro want to play and we're admittedly semi-normies. We had a bro DM, but he moved away. We went to a meet up with randoms and it's like we jumped off the fucking deep end. One of the guys is okay, but the rest are so obnoxious or just plain boring and the game goes way too slow.
>>
>>45005785
>If you think I adjudicated a rule incorrectly, you're wrong

But that's literally how it works
>>
File: 14223127404723.jpg (529 KB, 1424x1600) Image search: [Google]
14223127404723.jpg
529 KB, 1424x1600
>>45005785
>>45005794
I always say I run house rules, or rather I say its "5e, rules lite" which means, if its not fun, its not a real rule.
But none the less, people keep referencing those fucking books.
Bitch, I know the books, but Wizard got the rules wrong. We play for fun, not for structure. Shit.
>>45005926
Im in the same boat. Everyone at the comic shop is a sweaty ham person, not that there is anything wrong with that, but they just enjoy the game differently than I do. I play with very few rules. I just want the sessions I DM to feel like a heavy metal album, not a math class.
>>
Not to contribute to the inevitable divergence from the original thread topic, but a DM is free to run a game as he likes so long as he realizes that a player is free to leave his game because the player doesn't want to play mother may I with an egomaniacal neoneckbeard under the pretenses of Dungeons and Dragons.
>>
>>45005936
I know, but it's easier to say you're using houserules.
>>
>>45005953
>>45005926
>>45005794
>>45005785
>>45005757
If you don't want to play D&D, then why do you insist on lying about using D&D in order to play your games?
>>
File: XksEtVo.png (23 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
XksEtVo.png
23 KB, 500x294
>>45005992
1)We want the basic idea
2)Changing the rules to suit your game is D&D. It stated clearly in the rules.
3)It's easier to get people into something that feels familiar, D&D has brand recognition.
4)Your post is: pic related
>>
>>45006022
>Using meme photos to attack someone's character
You're using a logical fallacy. I'm willing to listen to a sensible argument, if you were to present one.
>>
What ways are there to improve one's ability to shove targets? I'm playing a Minotaur for the advantage to the strength check and I know one can use Hex to give the target disadvantage but is there anything else I may have missed?
>>
>>45006039
Here is the argument.
In the core rulebooks, it says you can use as many or few rules as suits your DM style.
But there are people like you who refuse this, and want to play the game as rules heavy as possible for some reason. Not that its a bad thing, its just hard to find people who want to play with few rules some times.
>>
>>45006049
Expertise (Athletics) via a dip into Rogue or Bard.
>>
>>45006039
*tips le epic fedora*

indubitably i have, as they say, owned you
>>
>>45005953
>if its not fun, its not a real rule.
truly epic bro

screw the rules, i have money!!!!!11 eckz dee
>>
>>45006052
It's because, if you take away the rules that structure the core of the game then the players don't have an even footing. There have been too many "rules lite" games that have degraded into players sucking off the DM so they can get favoritism and plot armor. If you don't want to play D&D, then make your own system and leave this general because whatever game you're playing, it is definitively not Dungeons and Dragons 5e.
>>
>>45006075
What does that even mean? If its not fun, why do it? Its a game.
>>
>>45006087
If you can't find the fun in it, then play a different game. That's what it means, you illiterate peckerwood.
>>
>>45006093
If he changes the rules, it IS a different game.
>>
>>45006087
because games have rules and if d&d has too many mean and nasty rules that stop you doing epic shit then use a different game

there are many games better suited to rules light gaming than stripping down D&D, try Fate or Dungeon World or basically anything else
>>
>>45006115
Then why are all of these homebrewing trashmongers posting in the 5e general if they're willing to admit that they aren't playing D&D?
>>
>>45006039
I am in fact not committing a logical fallacy (ad hominem as you posit). I gave you three answers to your question, which is not a argument, and then said I considered your post bait.
>>
>>45006135
>>45006093
Do you also get upset when someone runs a homebrew campaign, or adapts a published campaign to a homebrew setting?
After all, you're not allowed to divert from the formula, or else you wouldn't be playing ACTUAL FOR REAL D&D anymore.
>>
>>45006150
>1)Trite storytelling that rips off and steals from other sources
>2)Changing the rules is allowed, but it's frowned upon. The only people that really approve of changing the rules are shitty DMs
>3)Lying in order to get people to jerk me off while I force them to listen to my AWESOME story
>4)Logical Fallacy
You can deny it all you want, but even if you believe your first three points were valid, your fourth was a logical fallacy, fuckwit. I shouldn't expect any critical thought from a homebrewing twat though.
>>
>>45006057
Hmm, not sure how useful that'd be. Expertise seems good but I dunno if it's worth losing a level of Fighter for. It'd also mean having enough Dex (which will probably be true unless I decide I really want to go EK) and a smaller hit die which are both really tiny costs. Might affect the "Burly brawler" feel of my character to have that one dip level on his sheet?
>>
>>45006170
I don't get upset. I just leave the game. Are you saying that I should be forced to stay and suck of the DM's metaphorical dick as he makes up his own rules and I'm forced to ask his permission to do anything? Have fun with that.
>>
>>45006202
What do you get out trolling? What do you enjoy about trying to get people you don't know angry?
>>
>>45006241
You can't think of a decent argument then? I figured as much. What do you get out of pretending to play D&D? What do you enjoy about trying to get people you don't know's hopes up for an actually fun game?
>>
>>45006219
What do you want to do so bad that you have to ask to do it?
I pretty much let my players do anything they want, but if it is something dumb, or impractical (I become a god, I kill everyone at once, I randomly do a spell with no magic ability) I make them try a really high roll or series of rolls for it. I never say no.

I dont know what your problem is.
>>
>>45005516
Assloads of skeletons.
>>
>>45006211
A rogue doesn't necessarily have to be a sneaky faggot. You could just as easily have be a former street tough who joined an underground MMA ring if you want.
>>
>>45006268
>I dont know what your problem is.
The feeling is mutual.
>>
>>45006039
> expecting logical argument from any board on this Thai Polaroid website.

>>>/out/
>>
>>45005362
I would go with a Ranger with Undead favorite enemy. Maybe a multiclass Ranger (Hunter)- Fighter (Battlemaster).
>>
I did the stupid mistake of allowing 8 players in my table, the campaign already have 4 months +- and is driving me crazy, what should I do?
>>
>>45005362
Edgelord bishie Belmont worst Belmont.
>>
>>45006352
Have a chat with them and explain your situation to them? You're the one running for them, surely they can't complain if you ask them if you can split them up into two groups and run parallel campaigns in the same world?
>>
>>45006256
I have fun with my friends.
>>
>>45006409
Sure.
>>
>>45005342
Need some advice for feats here.

Is War Caster worth it for the CON save advantage and attack of opportunity spells even if you're playing a "full" caster (sorcerer in my case, though with a high CON and good hit die rolls)? I took it for flavor (playing an ex-military type), but I'm starting to regret it with how little it seems to be coming into play.

Also, would taking Elemental Adept (fire) be a good choice for a sorcerer with a lot of fire spells? I'm not sure how frequently fire-resistant monsters will appear (and the most annoying fire-based enemies have immunity, not resistance, e.g. flameskulls), and the other effect just seems weak. Should I just up my CHA instead?
>>
>>45006484
IMHO Alert and Mobile are the best feats for any kind of spellcasters.

Is better to try to not get a hit instead of have advantage in concentration IMO.
>>
>>45005342
So what's the next dnd book about?
>>
>>45006484
And also there is a table of monster resistance somewhere, I can't find it right now but I think that fire is the most common resistance in 5e.
>>
>>45006564
It's I6, Take 5.
>>
Do you allow your players to create scrolls? Do you impose any kind of limit on who can create scrolls, or how? Have you seen weird uses of scrolls, like a rogue building a spell trap with UMD?
>>
>>45006484
Answers to both really depend on the GM. If npcs aren't targeting you, or there are a lot of people in your party, war caster isn't as good.

Upping Cha only raises casting rolls by one, unless you're a dragonblooded, so... up to you.whether it's better than getting Cha to all fire spells.
>>
>>45006611
scrolls are different in my games. I'm honestly not sure what the rules for them are. In my games scrolls are one use spells that anyone can use without a check. Any caster can make one as a ritual (still costs components and they have to have a special ink)
>>
>>45005516
Gargoyles
>>
>>45006556
WIS is my Dump stat, so I'm not sure if Alert would really fit my char, Shocking Grasp prevents AOO in melee (and not just against myself), and I've got a lot of ranged spells in case I can't reach anyone in melee too. Besides, Alert only negates advantage from stealth attacks.

What kind of a choice do you think Sentinel would be? I seem to end up in melee a lot anyway (the paladin in our party has it too, though). It'd certainly put the opportunity attack effect into play more.

>>45006612
Where's the errata stating that? The PHB I have says that it simply allows me to treat 1s on the damage dice as 2s, which doesn't really make a big difference when you've got Empowered Spell. If they've changed it so that it allows you to add your modifier to the damage, then I'll definitely pick it.
>>
>>45006640
I don't suppose the special ink is expensive as hell? And you have to use 100gp worth for the lowest-level scrolls, and more as the level of the spell in the scroll goes up?
>>
Somewhere between "most" and "all" of the DM's guild sucks, and basically nothing there is worth paying for.

My question is: how could you change that? What would be worth paying (a small amount of money) for, assuming it was written by someone who could do math, understood balance and actually tested their ideas?
>>
>>45006856
Be the change you want to see in the world. Get on the site and make good content.
>>
>>45006947
I'd love to, this was my extremely unsubtle way of asking what you'd consider good content.
>>
>>45006856

I wish I could write. I kinda wanna compile my current short OSRish adventure, but I am still in process of running it.
Gotta see how it ends up.
>>
What monster statblock should I use for The Grinch?
>>
>>45006947
>>45006856
I'm trying. I'm working on a site-based adventure that would actually be worth running, kind of inspired by The Isle of Dread and Keep on the Borderlands. Because the DM isn't going to approve of the untested splat material the players buy, but the players have much less say over what the DM throws at them.
>>
>>45007241
Also, what are some good Arctic themed monsters to use?
>>
>>45007366
Winter wolves? Yetis? Remorhazes? Satyrs refluffed to be the Krampus?
>>
>>45005516

If the Vampire is old enough, he'd probably have a small skeleton army from his lording days. Pretty much any dead solider under the Vampire's rule would be reanimated as a skeleton.
>>
>>45006202
It's a logical fallacy to disregard a whole argument because part of it was a logical fallacy.
>>
>>45005374
The Hunter Ranger is already a monster hunter.
>>
>>45006268
His problem is bad DM's. Altering the rules of a tabletop game is a fundamental part of them, it's why you play DnD instead of WoW. To claim that changing the rules is something bad DM's do to punish players and glorify themselves is something that does happen, but it's not like sticking to the rules verbatim would've made them better DM's.
>>
>>45005374
>Vistani

Ho boy. They're probably going to mention those guys as little as possible. It's not the 80's anymore; you can't just have stereotypical gypsies all over the place.
>>
File: 1433616187561.jpg (194 KB, 1024x662) Image search: [Google]
1433616187561.jpg
194 KB, 1024x662
Here's a question: how do you do magic weapons?

My party really likes magic weapons, so I've been introducing them fairy quickly. I don't like +n weapons very much, so I've been giving them weapons that add a die of damage or have some other magical property.

I was thinking of letting their weapons improve over time, such as letting the fighter's necrotic spear use absorbed life energy to cast Entangle or letting them improve their weapons' enchantments during downtime or after major events.

Does this sound fun to you, /tg/?
>>
>>45007841
I like the idea of auto-enchantment, where items become magical through being exposed to powerful things and great deeds, and become stronger the same way.
>>
>>45005362
Fighter with Sentinel (since enemies always freeze in place when you hit them). Champion with a "golf bag" of sidearms sounds right. It's really up to you.
>>
File: 1411932351116.jpg (564 KB, 1500x1800) Image search: [Google]
1411932351116.jpg
564 KB, 1500x1800
>>45007841
>>45007885
sounds good
>>
>>45006579

Its actually cold but fire has more creatures immune to it. Both are far and away better than poison though
>>
>>45007841
5e adventures already go overboard with the power level of magic weapons. 5e is designed to require relatively few magic items and almost no magic item progression. It's not like 4e where you were fucked if you didn't get the exact right amount of coin/residuum to buy magic items appropriate for your exact level. So I try to make every magic item unique but still slow down how powerful they are. Minor unique properties are usually something way less powerful than an extra die of damage against every type of creatures, maybe something the players have to think to find a creative use for.

Also, in this edition an weapon can count as magic without actually adding any bonus to attack or damage rolls, so a weapon that has some kind of good unique property doesn't need to be "plus" anything. Just counting as magic is enough to get through the damage resistance of a lot of creatures, so this alone is actually an important upgrade in power over mundane items.
>>
So I'm thinking about doing an in character interview for my first time players. We're just doing the deliver the wagon from neverwinter to phandelin from the starter guide.

What I've got so far:

What do you bring to the table?

How do you deal with pressure in stressful situations?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Describe how you'd deal with a gang of bandits

if you were any animal or magical being what would you want to be

An old bearded wizard comes up to you and grabs your shoulders. He shouts that he is going to cast serendipitous expulsion on you. What do you do?

I don't want it to take up a ton of time so I want the questions i do use to be good. Any ideas or suggestions?
>>
>>45008137
Is the interviewer also in-character? Because some of these are pretty cringeworthy in their resemblance to modern job interview cliches. Either try to think of questions that an investor in the game world might really ask a mercenary company he's thinking to hire, or ask questions that force the players to improvise a little and make up more connections between their characters. ("How did you come to join this company? What was your last job? Which of you almost ruined it? Which of you saved it? Which of you took all the credit?)
>>
>>45008248
>Because some of these are pretty cringeworthy in their resemblance to modern job interview cliches.

"Describe 10 practical uses for a crate of Immovable Rods." (Gûgol Divination interview question)
>>
>>45008248
Yeah id be doing the voice of a grumbly dwarf. I thought it was funny to make it like a modern day interview but i can see how it could end up cringeworthy. The plan was to ask them each a question at a time as kind of a roleplay warm up, and then give them the option to talk amongst themselves or to go to sleep. When they chose to sleep I'd timeskip to them coming up to the forest where the ambush is.
>>
>>45008298
Would love to have more fantasy equivalents of basic interview questions.
>>
>>45008329
Questions an employer might actually ask an adventuring company are things like what their watch schedule is or how they divide treasure. And ask them together, under a time limit, to test their decision-making ability. A lot of adventuring companies have probably died fighting over a magic item or because nobody wanted to take the middle watch.
>>
>>45006082
>then the players don't have an even footing

Even footing with what?

Holy shit, when will you people realize that RPG games are not DM vs the players?

If you play DnD RAW it's a piece of fucking crap. There are so many holes and bullshit in the rules it's insane.
>>
My wizard just opened up second level spell slots an now I can't choose just two. Been mostly focusing on Illusion spells, so Mirror Image feels like a must have but I'm not sure what else I'd want. Phantasmal Force kinda fits the theme, but Flaming Sphere fits the control elements I want better. Scorching Ray gives a damage option but Misty Step makes me even safer. It's times like these I don't feel smart enough to play a wizard.
>>
>>45008486
He could be talking about having an even footing with each other. 3.5E is a garbage game largely due to the lack of balance between different PCs.
>>
>>45008513
Being a wizard means you can add every spell to your spellbook eventually. Just take Mirror Image and Flaming Sphere for now and start tracking down the rest in stores or libraries as soon as you get some downtime.
>>
>>45008513
Misty Step has been really useful for me, would definitely recommend learning it.

Depending on the rest of your party Hold Person can just kill people. They fail the save and then your Paladin walks over hits them with a smite and then a GWM smite for like 8d8+6.
>>
>>45008554
That's solid advice and a good way to think about it. Thanks.
>>
How would you run a skill challenge in 5e? I want to have my players escaping a ship that's flying apart, and I feel like some arbitrary skill checks might feel less exciting, especially to the sorcerer who is super unathletic.
>>
>>45008601
Wait, shit, should be 16d8 + 6 cause of the crits.
>>
>>45008644
Theater of the mind with the odd check thrown in that does a little damage or slows them down to keep the intensity high. No reason to get super serious about the checks. Just things like the ship lurching or debris/fire in a walkway. Otherwise you be doing acrobatics/athletics checks every five seconds. And that's another thing to keep in mind, they don't all have to use the same skills for a check. So giving them options should help the escape run more smoothly.
>>
>>45005342
>How are you planning on bringing down the dark lord?
Cleric of Sol Invictus
>>
File: Paladin of the Common Man.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Paladin of the Common Man.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>45009073
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woWzNRIBEcI

Because high-brow paladins lose their sanity.
>>
>>45008921
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm having difficulty thinking of non-athletic/acrobatics checks for them to make. Like I said, I'm worried about the sorcerer just getting fucked because he's level 2 and doesn't really have any spells that would help.
>>
>>45009073
>Aura of Solidarity
So with enough creatures within the area I could reduce the damage down to 1? Like a bag of snakes or something.

Actually, a villain with strategically placed ant colonies in his lair to soak up hits could be cool. Some guy who's convinced that ant societies are far superior to regular civilisation and wants to take over the world as its queen or whatever.
>>
>>45009134
Something like an Insight check or straight intelligence to see if he can predict how the ship is going to sway or what areas will be most affected and therefore harder to traverse might be an option. Otherwise, you could let someone assist him to give him advantage on his rolls with the person assisting having disadvantage as a result. And you could always let whatever happens happens. After all, death is part of the game and being strong or fast enough is sometimes more important than being smart enough.
>>
How about a /5enhbg/? 5e No Homebrew General? I'd blow a guy for that. No more stupid paladin oaths. Paladins irl don't get to make up their own oath. They have to use the ones the irl order offers them.
>>
>>45009257
>Actually, a villain with strategically placed ant colonies in his lair to soak up hits could be cool. Some guy who's convinced that ant societies are far superior to regular civilisation and wants to take over the world as its queen or whatever.
>Chairman Yang in Fantasy
I could dig it.
>>
>>45009305
There's that ant woman in fallout 3, with some funny dialogue.
>>
>>45009276
That's true. And it's not unreasonable for the other players to be able to rescue him. I'm imagining the ship breaking apart as in every single board is becoming undone, so they could dive into the water after him.
>>
>>45009285
>Paladins irl don't get to make up their own oath. They have to use the ones the irl order offers them.
By that logic everyone would just roll up a 15 year old level 1 commoner and gain class features at level four. Which might be cool in some ways but is infinitely retarded in others.
>>
>>45009329
By that logic people would just use the official oath options. Sorry nice try.
>>
>>45009351
>By that logic people would just use the official oath options. Sorry nice try.
Naw.
>>
>>45009073
>Turn the Bourgeois
Alright, you fucking got me. Solid laugh from that.
>>
>>45009276
>Insight check
>Insihht. Your Wisdom (Insight) check decides whether you can determine the true intentions of a creature, such as when searching out a lie or predicting someone's next move. Doing so involves gleaning clues from body language, speech habits, and changes in mannerisms

Even if the ship were a living creature I'm not sure that Insight would be the appropriate skill anyway.

Predicting what's going to happen with the ship is a straight Wisdom check.

Also, he can use the Help action to give his allies advantage on their checks. I'm not sure how you'd flavour that, but if he comes up with an idea of how to assist in the escape (and this would be a good opportunity to encourage creative thinking) then Help is a good way he can assist mechanically even if his abilities can't actually do much.
>>
>>45009361
>Naw.
Yar
>>
>>45009389
I generally treat Insight as having an idea of what's going on from the surroundings without needing really specific information. That aside, a straight wisdom check is fine too. I was putting ideas out there.

And I mentioned other characters helping. In fact, I really like it in this context. Like grabbing someone by the arm and dragging them with you and keeping them standing.
>>
>>45009285
Paladins IRL aren't the same as paladins in D&D. Charlemagne doesn't even exist unless your DM says he does.

Semantics aside, the nature of Paladins is particularly pertinent in 5e, which has done away with the requirement for them to worship a god or even be part of an order - because his power comes from the strength of his faith. By its very nature, the oath he gains power from must necessarily be one he personally believes in, and will be specific to him.
>>
>>45009460
>I generally treat Insight as having an idea of what's going on from the surroundings without needing really specific information.
That's a pretty significant house rule and probably worth mentioning if you're suggesting ways to run it.
>>
When you come up with names for your own elemental gods, do you give them stereotypical names?
>Water god: name sounds like "aqua" or "neptune"
>Fire god: name sounds like "inferno" or "molten"
Things like that.
>>
>>45009460
>>45009389
I'm OK with doing an insight or perception check for something like that rather than just a straight wisdom check. I'm not trying to kill them, you know? I just thought it'd be fun for them to run out of the belly of a ship that's collapsing all around them and I'm trying to make sure everyone is useful.

Thank you all so much by the way. I'm still learning how to DM and this general has been a great resource.
>>
>>45009477
I am taking the Oath of Pinkypie. You gain extra speed and colorful armor. Lmao I love fantasy worlds of my own creation.
>>
Making some cool magic items tailored to my PCs, need to think of some kind of scimitar for the ranger/druid. I really like items with huge risk/huge reward. Ideas?
>>
>>45009479
>Insight
Insight is just looking at someone and telling if they are lying, or hiding something, or something, by their body language or some quasi-intuitive understanding.
>>
>>45009556
Sword of Icy Slicing
Deals an additional 1d6 cold damage, but if you roll a 1 on the attack roll, it freezes you into an unmeltable ice tomb for 1000 years.
>>
>>45009550
ok
>>
>>45009520
Pick a language system and stick with it. Latin, greek, Arabic, etc. Just make sure all the elementals follow the same system.
>>
>>45009550
Ya know that all you are proving here is that you are an insufferable douche, right?

I mean, I can't tell if that's the point you were trying to make, so maybe you are achieving exactly what you want to do.
>>
>>45009585
>huge risk
>dying on a 1 roll

>huge reward
>1d6 cold damage

Yeah I don't think that would be worth it
>>
>>45009621
>Yeah I don't think that would be worth it
then it deals 50d6 extra cold damage on a hit, but kills you and freezes your body forever on a 1. Halflings could wield it safely at least.
>>
>>45009556
>>45009585

Maybe making it so that it had a chance to freeze the wielder or target for 1d4 rounds? Frozen character gains 2 AC but is paralyzed? Or maybe just working with the frozen mechanic in a different way.
>>
>>45009556
>Deal XdY damage to the wielder. This weapon deals that much bonus damage until the end of this turn.

>Bonus action: Enemies hit with this weapon before the start of your next turn are treated as having vulnerability to the damage dealt when determining damage. You gain vulnerability to bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage until the start of your next turn.

>When you take the Attack action, you may choose to forgo making any attacks this turn, and instead designate a target. At the start of your next turn, before you move or take any actions, you may make a number of attacks equal to the number of attacks you would have made plus half that number against the designated target, with a +2 bonus to your attack rolls.
>>
>>45009556
>Sword of Bravery
A +1/2/3 sword, but its powers only work on enemies stronger than its wielder, and the spirit of the sword even goes so far as to impose disadvantage on attack rolls if he goes after foes far weaker than himself.
>>
>>45009746
What prevents the user from simply sheathing the weapon and drawing another?
>>
>>45009709
I like the third one the most, especially if it requires concentration to maintain. Otherwise there isn't that big of a downside.

Ok, now that I have his ranger item, what could I make for his druid item? I will essentially force him to choose between taking the swords or the druid item by making him ally with the "hunters" or the "wild".

I was thinking of some kind of bearzerker paw necklace where he gets an extra wild shape in the form of a buffed bear, but has a chance of going berserk and attacking the nearest friendly or nonfriendly target until he regains control.
>>
>>45009802
Concentration is something that should have been there, yeah. I also intended it to be a melee-only enchantment, if that was unclear.

I dislike items that remove player agency on principle, so I'd obviously recommend you do something else with the necklace.

This is supposed to be the same risk/reward deal again?
>>
How do I handle the cursed weapon in this situation?

>Barbarian has a cursed sword that he can't get rid of.
>He gets knocked unconscious
>LEO attempts to remove all weapons from his body.
>Gets to cursed sword
>>
>>45009792
Well, it has opportunity cost of taking up your attunement slot either way, but good point.
>>
File: more cock.png (107 KB, 217x220) Image search: [Google]
more cock.png
107 KB, 217x220
>>45005953
>>
>>45009792
The sheathing/drawing rules mostly. Even then, it's just an inconvenience.
>>
>>45009876
Is the curse one that physically prevents him from losing the weapon? Or is the curse one that instills a mental compulsion to keep the axe close at all times and never get rid of it?

Obviously, the sword can't be removed from his person in the former case (and the ones searching him would very quickly realize the nature of the sword). In the latter case, they would take the sword from him, and become subject to the curse themselves.

Whether the compulsion to maintain possession of the sword remains after the sword has been taken would, of course, be up to you to decide.

The last, perhaps most terrifying, possibility would be that the sword's magic bends the strings of fate such that, even if he loses it, throws it away or buries it beneath a mountain, it will find its way back to him. Always.
>>
>>45009556
As a custom tailored item it doesn't need to be cast iron legal wording right? Just enough for you and the player to understand it.

Scimitar of Endless Thirst
You may spend hit dice whenever you hit a creature with this weapon. If you do, you and the target both take damage equal to the roll (you don't get any healing from them).

Gives you lots of potential damage but also hurts you whilst simultaneously reducing your healing capabilities.
>>
Hey guys, need a quick favor/dump. I need reference images for Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, fantasy manor homes and whatnot.
>>
>>45008644
Your encounter could be a series of skill tests to, for example, quickly climb a collapsing scaffold to leap onto a safer part of the ship only to have to swim away from the sinking wreckage.
This might be trivial from the athletic Champion, but not so easy if he has to help his skinny sorcerer friend not get crushed or drown.
>>
>>45009863
>same risk/reward
Yes. Also I forgot to mention the other two items I have given out already.

For warlock
>Device of a long dead blood mage
>Cuts himself for blood, can botch it and bleed a lot
>Blood fills device, increases ebolt damage, dissipates after a few rounds

For sorcerer
>Molten orb
>Channels power through it on cast
>Chance to double or even quadruple damage of spell
>Chance to blow up for big fireball damage
>>
>>45010013
I already made an item kind of like that unfortunately, see
>>45010216
>>
>>45010135
>>
>>45010013
This is bad for anything but... actually, I think it's bad for everything unless you know you need 2-3 more damage to finish someone off, or he'll do more than twice your Hit Dice in damage (since you are giving up that much total health).

It's pretty much a trap to use.
>>
>Persistent Weapon
>This weapon appears and acts as a +2 weapon.
>Curse: When you first attack a hostile creature with this weapon, you become cursed. Whenever you unsheathe a weapon while under its curse, you instead unsheathe this weapon. This is true no matter how far away this weapon is from you when you unsheathe it. The only way to end this curse outside of the remove curse spell is to trick another creature into using this weapon and thus coming under the curse.
>>
>>45010296
>>
>>45009073

>special thanks to the folks at LE REDDIT

Lmao
>>
The group thought I was foolish for taking Grease over a damage spell. 7 orcs, one ogre, and a well defended ridge later they couldn't be more satisfied with the decision.

Tell me about your plans that worked flawlessly, /tg/.
>>
>>45010325
So if you unsheathe a second weapon while you're already wielding this one, does what I think would happen happen?
>>
>>45010341
I'm still looking for any good homebrews made by the asshats of an asian-armenian art critique blog
>>
>>45010550
It vanishes from your hand and you unsheathe it again.

Bonus points: give it a yandere personality.
>>
>>45010582
What happens if you find two of them?
>>
>>45010608
Whenever you unsheathe a weapon, you end up with both of them in your hand. Say hello to your harem of intelligent weapons.
>>
What class do you guys think makes the best group leader? Most of the campaigns I've been in have been led by a Cleric, which seemed good for the most part
>>
>>45010363
My halfling arcane trickster had been trying to make Tasha's Hideous Laughter work for five levels. Either they made their save or they weren't intelligent enough to be affected. Finally, it stuck - against a boss riding a dragon. He fell off.
>>
>>45010676
>What class do you guys think makes the best group leader? Most of the campaigns I've been in have been led by a Cleric, which seemed good for the most part
Our party face is the Rogue.
>>
>>45010652
I regret nothing. Best curse ever.
>>
>>45010693
That reminders me of when I played a gnome wizard in 3.5e with blindness/deafness. I'd throw it out every encounter, sometimes more than once, and not a single time did it stick. We got to level 9 before the campaign fell under.
>>
Going to be running Hoard of the Dragon Queen at some point in the future.

This will be my first time running anything in any kind of DnD game, is there anything I should be wary of? Anything advice for running the adventure?
>>
>>45010676
It's not so much a matter of character class as it is a matter of the player's personality. The character who is nominally the party leader might make none of the decisions at the table.

The closest thing to a class that works as group leader is a class that doesn't work as anything else. Like a fighter with Polearm Master. Because he needs the monsters to come to him rather than coming to them like everyone else wants to do, his player has to be able to control the party's momentum and force them to hold the line.
>>
>7th Level
>Disrupt Spell - 1/long rest, reaction. When a spell is cast within 20 feet of you, you may move 10 feet towards the caster and make an attack (this cannot benefit from power attack, charge, etc). If this attack deals damage, the spell is cancelled and the caster loses the spell slot. The movement may take you through zones of control without stopping, but you'll still suffer attacks of opportunity. Increases to 2,3, and 4 times per long rest at levels 10,25, and 20. At level 10, you may cancel a random ongoing magical effect (friendly or hostile!) on the target with a critical strike

Is this a good oath ability for a paladin? We're working with a heavily modified Oath of Vengeance, and this would be replacing Relentless Avenger.
>>
>>45010550
You either use your free hand or drop a weapon.
>>
>>45010767
>Hoard of the Dragon Queen
>Is there anything I should be wary of?
The cosmic shitstorm of incoming replies telling you that HotDQ sucks and not to play it.

>Anything advice for running the adventure?
Run a different one. I've heard good things about Princess of the Apocalypse
>>
>>45010894
*Princes of the Apocalypse
>>
>>45010802
7th level for Oaths is usually left open for passive abilities such as auras.

I would make it a Channel Divinity option, similar to Vow of Enmity but focused on spellcasters.

>Disrupt Spell. When a creature you can see within 10 feet of you casts a spell, you can use your Channel Divinity as a reaction to stop them. The spell fails. For 1 minute, when that creature tries to cast a spell, it must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the spell fails.
>>
File: wipgek_2.png (383 KB, 1150x1150) Image search: [Google]
wipgek_2.png
383 KB, 1150x1150
>>45010767
It's not a good adventure.
>>
>>45010723
I think that happens a lot. The sort of player who plays a rogue is the sort of player who wants to initiate things, make plans of attack to guarantee a good surprise round, sometimes go out alone or do things without the permission of the rest of the party. More agreeable, submissive players rarely choose a rogue.

And it's no longer a matter of who has the best Charisma, because so many of the classes in the game are Charisma-based and you're likely to have three or four PCs in the party with high Charisma.
>>
>>45010933
>>45010767
To be more specific, the beginning of the adventure is really intense and difficult, but then it gets pretty threadbare and linear. It's also kind of a Monty Haul adventure, with PCs easily getting their hands on very powerful magic items that trivialize the encounters a bit.
>>
What would be some good finds (items or boons or whatever) for running a winter / christmas themed adventure? Considering my players are rubbing elbows with NotElsa (the villain), Saint Knick and his brother Sinter, NotGrinch, NotAbominableSnowman, NotFrosty, and figures of that nature?
>>
>>45010802
>Free counterspell
>Not limited by spell level
Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>45010998
>>45010926

I didn't write the oath, nor the abilities. This is from my GM. I'm just checking with people who've actually *played* before that what I'm getting here will work. GM offered to write up a custom oath for the order my paladin's in without prompting.

I'll keep the "not limited by spell level" bit in mind and mention it to him whenever he's around.
>>
>>45010994
five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree?
>>
>>45011069
You.....you might be onto something.
>>
>>45010802
>When a spell is cast within 20 feet of you, you may move 10 feet towards the caster and make an attack (this cannot benefit from power attack, charge, etc). If this attack deals damage, the spell is cancelled and the caster loses the spell slot.
I especially enjoy how the wording doesn't specify that the caster has to be the one attacked or to take the damage to counter the spell.
>>
>>45010954
>I think that happens a lot. The sort of player who plays a rogue is the sort of player who wants to initiate things, make plans of attack to guarantee a good surprise round, sometimes go out alone or do things without the permission of the rest of the party. More agreeable, submissive players rarely choose a rogue.
Indeed. It works out quite well because his skillset lets us get into places simply by him bullshitting about being a noble and us his retainers.
>And it's no longer a matter of who has the best Charisma, because so many of the classes in the game are Charisma-based and you're likely to have three or four PCs in the party with high Charisma.
My Warlock has I think a five point higher score than him, but the character would suck at the job, and I probably would as well.
>>
>>45011108
I won't be exploiting the way he worded it. Don't worry. None of us are rules lawyers.
>>
>>45011164
different anon, but just in case anyone else at the table wants to join you as a paladin you could word it like:

>When a spell is cast within 20 feet of you, you may move 10 feet towards the caster and make an attack against it. This attack cannot benefit from power attack, charge, etc. If this attack deals damage, the spell is cancelled and the caster loses the spell slot.
>>
File: Gruss_vom_Krampus.jpg (195 KB, 510x810) Image search: [Google]
Gruss_vom_Krampus.jpg
195 KB, 510x810
>>45010994
>NotElsa (the villain)
>not Krampus
Do you even Christmas?
>>
>>45011240
Obviously Krampus is the party's mentor.
>>
>>45009285
According to the book, some paladins do just make up their own oath. Especially vengeance paladins. So RAW says you're wrong.
>>
>>45011240
Krampus is NotElsa's patron familia
>>
>>45010894
>Cosmic shitstorm
Is it really that bad?

>Princes of the Apocalypse
Unfortunately, the group have already played through that and are currently playing through Rage of Demons

>>45010978
Is there room to add in additional bits for the threadbare sections or tone down the magic items to prevent trivialisation and boredom?
>>
How does combat healing stack up in this edition compared to others? I know for out of combat healing Life Cleric + Goodberry (from one of the cantrip feats) is really solid for 40 HP per 1st level slot or higher, but what about in actual combat?
>>
>>45010723
>not having a seperate face and leader
It's like you don't even watch the A-team.
>>
Started listening to The Adventure Zone, and I think it's pretty good. Certainly not how I like to run or play a game, but I find it pretty entertaining, and gives me some NPC personality ideas. What do you guys think of it?
>>
>>45011422
That's not how that feature works. The bonus only applies "when you cast" the spell, not each time you eat a berry.

Combat healing is fine, though. Lots of classes have access to it in some form or another, so no one has to be a dedicated healer.
>>
>>45011371
>Is it really that bad?

It's boring, linear, and predictable. Everything a D&D campaign shouldn't be, imo.

Our group got so bored of it we gave up and completely switched campaigns halfway through
>>
>>45011584
Yeah I reread the feature after I posted that and thought “even if you're a life cleric you shouldn't be able to fully heal the party with a first level slot". It's good to know healing is more useful this time around though.
>>
>>45005342
Where can I find high res profile pics of the npcs from OotA?
I need it... for research.
>>
>>45011371
>Is there room to add in additional bits for the threadbare sections or tone down the magic items to prevent trivialisation and boredom?

The threadbare bits include the major cities of Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep, which I wanted to explore when the campaign led there but which have basically nothing to do. Fleshing those out would require a good deal of work.

One of the magic items is important to the plot, but you could reduce the number of properties it has. The rest you could replace or cut out.
>>
Think I could make a few bux if I made a few adventures and put them up pwyw? Maybe an adventure path?
>>
>>45011442
>It's like you don't even watch the A-team.
We're a party of four, and the Paladin player is more a soldier than a commander.
>>
>>45012036
Probably. Adventures is more or less what they're looking for the most, but of course that's what is posted there the least.
>>
>>45012036
>Maybe an adventure path?
Yes. GM are the most likely to shell out money, and unlike Classes or such this kinda shit doesn't fuck up a game through oftentimes minor mistakes.
>>
>>45012036
What do you mean by adventure path?
>>
>>45012209

?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Path
>>
>>45011584
That actually is somewhat how the feature works. It's actually when you use a spell rather than when you cast a spell. So, aura of vitality would certainly benefit. Goodberry may require you to be the one using the berry to benefit.
>>
>>45009709
>I was thinking of some kind of bearzerker paw necklace where he gets an extra wild shape in the form of a buffed bear, but has a chance of going berserk and attacking the nearest friendly or nonfriendly target until he regains control.

Still need ideas for this. Some item that involves wild shape and big risk/big reward.

Maybe something that can turn you into a badass bear or a harmless bunny for 1d6 rounds instead?
>>
Does anybody want adventures for FR? Personally I'd rather have some other/no setting but I'm not sure if setting one in FR would be a plus or minus for most people
>>
>>45012396
Not according to the text of the spell, which says you heal extra HP when you cast a spell that heals. That phrasing ties the extra healing temporally to the moment of casting.

But rule it however you want. It's your table.
>>
>>45012469
The thing is that Wild Shape is only half of his Druid features. He's also a spellcaster. So you'd want something that relates to nature, but is usable by Druids in general, not merely Land Druids or Moon Druids.

Perhaps, as you said, something that triggers off Wild Shaping or spellcasting and provides a buff, but whose backlash directly impacts him rather than causing him to attack an ally?
>>
>>45012396
>>45012540
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/11/discipline-of-goodberry/

Crawford's ruling. Your DMs may elect to rule otherwise.
>>
File: wizard separation.gif (949 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
wizard separation.gif
949 KB, 275x275
ForeverDM here. A couple of my players have said they'd be willing to run (so I could play for once) if they can used a prepared adventure.

What campaigns/adventures do you recommend?
>>
I need some simple ability check puzzles to litter my adventure with.

How willy-nilly should magical items be given out?

Is it a dick move to take a player's backstory, and turn it in a direction the player completely didn't intend with some twist about his past for the sake of a new adventure?

How do you feel about psionics and warforged ?(separately, not necessarily the same character)
>>
>>45012540
DISCIPLE OF LIFE
Also starting at 1st levei, your healing spells are more effective. Whenever you use a spell of 1st levei or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell's leveI
>ctrl+f cast
>>
>>45012621
Figure that one out yourself, we have no idea what your adventure is about.

Firstly, depends on your setting. Secondly, I'm of the opinion that magic items don't really hurt things too much as long as you generally stick to the ones that don't provide bonuses to attack, saves or AC - that is, hand out fun knickknacks and ribbons that don't have too great an impact on combat, but give players other options to deal with situations and bypass problems if they get inventive.

To be polite, you may want to talk with him about it first out of character to see if he's too opposed to what you have planned, or at least give him fair warning so he doesn't punch you in the face out of surprise mid-game. But it is hardly a dick move. Backstories are there to get characters involved.

It would be nice to see them included in a way that doesn't make them imbalanced or just blatantly rip off other class and racial features.
>>
>>45012613
Depending on how long you want to play Lost Mines or Out of the Abyss have been fun for me. Need like 5 players though, otherwise the encounters get kinda tough.
>>
>>45012613
Phandelver
Princes of Apocalypse
Out of the Abyss
>>
>>45006352

Break the group into multiple parties.
>>
>>45012567
>The thing is that Wild Shape is only half of his Druid features. He's also a spellcaster.

I don't think he has cast a spell in 3 sessions. He pretty much just took the levels in druid for wild shape.

Oh, this reminds me. What kind of magical security options could be implemented to stop a druid from wild shaping into a small animal (spider for example) and stealing something, then wild shaping again and leaving?
>>
>>45013133
A mousetrap that deals 42 damage.
>>
>>45009073

Share damage aura is cool, but make it the target and the Paladin only.
>>
>>45009477

speaking of paladin oaths, are there any good homebrew ones?
>>
>>45013133
>I don't think he has cast a spell in 3 sessions.
If he has not cast Guidance at all, I can objectively say that he is wasting his resources.

If he can't get to it, he can't steal it.
Put whatever it is behind your choice of magical wards, guards or simple locked boxes.

If he can't take it with him, he can't steal it.
Make it too heavy for him to carry. Make it damage him if he tries to pick it up. Put it in a place where he can't leave without getting noticed as a human, and can't physically get himself out as a stealthy animal.

These may still fail. If you really, really want him to not be able to take something, handwave an enchantment that reverts tranformed and polymorphed creatures into their original forms, preferably lampshaded earlier as protection against changeling spies.

If he still manages to get it out despite all that, consider that any place which has sufficient casters to ward an item probably also have casters capable of casting Locate Object.

But if you're actually going to dick someone over for stealing, make sure you did give them fair warning in-character (and possibly out of character) beforehand.
>>
>>45012829
>>45013022

Thanks!
>>
What's a good 2-level non-caster dip for an Open Hand monk? I don't care about the monk's capstone ability at all.

Would be starting at level 3, so I was thinking Fighter 2/Monk 1, and then Monk all the way on out?

Variant human. Polearm master feat (use a quarterstaff). Dueling fighting style (since a quarterstaff counts as variable, crunch-wise I can be using it one-handed) for the +2 damage with every single hit. And with second wind I can self-heal way earlier than I could otherwise. Plus the action surge means even more hitting.

Is this viable at all?
>>
>>45013273
That misses the whole point of the flavour though.
>>
File: DnD_5e_Epic_Level_Handbook.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DnD_5e_Epic_Level_Handbook.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Would you use this in your campaign?
>>
>>45013451
If you use a shortsword instead of a quarterstaff, rogue is a pretty good dip for monks. You can get some extra damage with your weapon attack once per turn, get extra skills out of it, and can dash or disengage as a bonus action without expending ki.

Going 3 levels of fighter to grab superiority dice is pretty good, too.
>>
>>45013451
Take one or two fighter levels, but take archery style and sharp shooter. Also do not recommend starting multiclassed.
>>
>>45013514

It also makes it less abuseable, and I think the flavor is fine. You're sharing their burden, not forcing it on someone in range of the aura.
>>
>>45013451
Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style with Polearm Master and Stunning Strike is ridiculously hilarious, at least for the one or two rounds where you still actually have ki remaining.

Still, I'd advise you to just stick with straight Monk. Delaying for Extra Attack and Stunning Strike just for a Fighting Style and Action Surge isn't really worth it. And you might not even get to level 20 anyway, given that you're starting at level 3.

Play a few levels of Monk and see what your character, or your party, needs.
>>
>>45013527
>lets you have 20 levels in each class

I want to run an epic level campaign, where the BBEG is an awoken Tarrasque, with 20 levels in every class. Have him trying to eat the omniverse or something.
>>
>>45007241

Use the Yeti. The Grinch hid in the snowy mountains and hated intruders. He was also much bigger than the local "humans" the Whos.
>>
>>45011933
Ok thanks for the heads-up.

If I have time I'll look at fleshing it out, but then again, from what you're saying the amount of time required for that, I might as well write my own - less epic - adventure.
>>
>>45005342
why is the srd missing almost every feat, as well as certain class abilities?
I only looked at fighter and sorcerer, but fighter for example is missing 2 fighting styles or whatever they're called, he only has champion listed.
any way to get ahold of a decent copy of the book? I'm playing my first 5e game soon and want to figure this stuff out.
>>
>>45014054
Because OGL only covers those.
>>
>>45014054
PDFs of all the books (and more) are in the Mega.

The SRD only contains one archetype for each class and one subrace for each race, and one feat as an example. There are also some spells left out. It's meant to be an example for game designers, not for people to play 5e for free.
>>
>>45014054
Because the SRD is what you can freely steal and republish in your own works. Like how Pathfinder is based off of the 3.5 SRD.

There's a copy of every book in the link at the top of the thread.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd
>>
>>45013410
He stole a bunch of weapons but luckily for me it was from the biggest weapons store in the city, next to the diviner detective agency which i had established earlier. Once he realized they were on to him he had to ditch the goods.

When he broke in he set off some anti magic traps but wild shape isn't dispellable magic iirc. The guards couldn't find him because he was a sneaky spider.

As for him not using Guidance, how can I run it in his face that he should have been using it?
>>
>>45014373
If he insists on continually doing things which will have consequences, then let him have those consequences. But inventive ways of using Wild Shape for legitimate purposes isn't something you should discourage.

As for Guidance, I admit there isn't any single objectively correct way to play a character, but not using it basically means forgoing an average of 2.5 to each and every single skill check performed out of combat, and that rubs me the wrong way.
>>
What condition would you have if your cloak/sleeve/other loose clothing/foot were pinned to the wall/floor by a dagger?

Grappled? Prone? Just "Speed is 0"?
>>
>>45014794
Restrained. Assuming you don't have enough strength to just tear it out like it's nothing.
>>
>>45014794
Inconvenienced
>>
>>45013759
Well, thats got to be a balanced diet.
>>
>>45014794
There's no specific rules about it, so you should rule as you see fit.

Personally, I'd probably say speed reduced to 0, and to remove the dagger, you'd have to make a Strength check as an interaction, or else spend a bonus action - but only if the guy who chucked the dagger also jumped through some mechanical hoops to get it there too.

If it was just a standard Attack fluffed as a dagger through the foot, it wouldn't have any additional mechanical effects.
>>
>>45014794
I'd treat it like a successful shove and have them count as Prone, probably.
>>
One-shot, 1st-level dungeon crawl tutorial for newbies. Are there any out there? Maybe some older/OSR module I can convert?

I don't want to just run the goblin caves from LMoP without the full story, and this would almost definitely be a one-off taster/tutorial, not the start of a campaign.
>>
>>45016342
Sunless Citadel is a pretty good crawl from 3e. Just rebalance encounters and traps and you're good to go.
>>
>>45016369
Another module.. I think the guy just wants one encounter.
>>
>>45016342
Khyber's harvest for 4e. Free to download, it's a short skill challenge followed by a linear dungeon crawl with a few traps.

Easily adaptable.
>>
File: 1453702368629.jpg (118 KB, 900x744) Image search: [Google]
1453702368629.jpg
118 KB, 900x744
In my campaign my level 4 players are about to walk into a tinker antagonist's workshop and I'm having trouble thinking of some cool items for them to find in there. Anyone have any ideas for some neat inventions or magical items for them to find?
>>
>>45016919
A vibrator. Designed for dragons.
>>
>>45009668

>safely

Nothing stops a Halfling from getting a natural 1 the second time, but it does reduce the chance to 1/400
>>
File: Skyrim_dwemer_artifacts.jpg (189 KB, 1019x603) Image search: [Google]
Skyrim_dwemer_artifacts.jpg
189 KB, 1019x603
>>45016919
How about a compass of watch? Looking sort of like a dwemer artifact or whatever.
>>
>>45017036
Take the Lucky Feat, and you have to roll a nat 1 4 times each day to be at risk.
>>
>>45012621
A warforged psion is pretty much Darth Vader
>>
>>45016919
a half finished clockworkman that slowly crawls towards the party
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.