[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Larp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 13
File: larp_women.jpg (104 KB, 250x372) Image search: [Google]
larp_women.jpg
104 KB, 250x372
Next week I'm going on my first LARP, any advice /tg/?
>>
Don't act like an ass and have fun.

We'll need a bit more details to give you much more advice than that.
>>
>>44984801
Welp, I'm just going in as a warrior, a mercenary a bit like Geralt Of Rivia. Not really original, I know, but I'm pretty sure I'll be a lot more free to do what quest I want, when I want etc.
I'm with an organised clan too. Is there any cool forum/place for LARP? The community looks a bit scattered.
>>
>>44984989
First of all, the larpthreads on /cgl/, though slower, are generally more helpful. The most important things people'll need to know to give advice are genre (high fantasy, low fantasy, sci-fi, modern, etc) and location (-in general- American larps have more fighting and less roleplaying, Scandinavian larps are have loads of roleplaying and very little fighting, and Central European larps sit somewhere in the middle).

As some more personal advice: when playing a warrior-type, ESPECIALLY one based on a well-known character, think long and hard on what you want the character's personality and background to be like. If you go in as faceless-rank-and-file-dude-#37, you won't get as much roleplay as when you play Sam Mason, the cheerful boy who went out to see the world to follow in his older brother's footsteps.

When making a character's background, try to create a humble story that avoids the most common tropes. Basically, don't do any of the following:
- Play a character whose parents are both dead
- Play a noble
- Play a lost noble
- Play a prophesied hero of ...
- Play the last survivor of ...
And similar things. All of these CAN work in a background story, but I'd avoid them when starting out.

Cont.
>>
>>44984323
hit on the cute grills
>>
>>44984323
Well if anything, the people running it might just have you npc for a bit. It's good to ease you into the larp instead of dropping your character into an undead invasion day one. Guess what happened at my first larp.
>>
>>44985196
Thanks anon, the LARP is in France, and looks like it have a lot of roleplay in it.
Gonna change a bit the character too.
>>
>>44985196
Before the game, try to familiarize yourself with the rules. Find out what the call for OC (Out of Character) injury is, and what the sign for people who are not there IC (In Character) is. If the game has spells or similar, try to memorize the most common ones.

Try to get some basic garb together. There's plenty of tutorials on how to make a simple tunic, and a pair of simple non-modern pants is easy enough to find somewhere. For your first game, modern black shoes will suffice. Also, most larpers will have some spare gear to lend to others, so ask any larpers you might know already. Since you're with an organized group, I don't think that'll be a problem.

At the site but before the game starts, I personally like to take the time to get to know some random people. If you explain you're new, plenty of people are willing to try to involve you in the game.

Also important to note: if you make a mistake: roll with it. You can't turn back time like in tabletop. If that attack should actually have killed you but you lost track of HP, don't suddenly drop dead two minutes later. Just roleplay a severe injury. Should you screw up bad, just apologize OC afterwards.

As for the rest: try to have fun, don't act like an ass, and everything will be fine.

>>44985329
My first larp had an undead invasion. So did my second. Both were awesome.

>>44985344
Have fun, and do report back with stories!
>>
>>44985461
Will do, thank you based anon!
>>
>>44985461
>My first larp had an undead invasion. So did my second. Both were awesome.
In my first larp someone started randomly shooting in the forest, allegedly it were poachers so everyone had to come to the central place at night and be there while it was lit with torches and stuff so nobody would get shoot by a random poacher on accident.
Lot of fun things happened that night
>>
>>44984323
Bring protection (condoms)
>>
>>44986888
I've seen somebody almost get hit by some faggot who was crossing on a quadbike in a restricted area, but nothing THAT serious.
>>
>>44986927
and armour
>>
>>44987201
well nobody got hurt and the shots we heard weren't too close and it happened a few times in later games but still, the organizers didn't really wanted to risk that a poacher thinks someone who is in the bush is an animal.
>>
Bring socks.
Lots of socks.
Never enough socks.
>>
>>44987625
Dystopia Rising player Detected.
>>
Try not to get too attached to your character. There's a small but not negligible chance they'll die.
>>
>>44984323
Stop being a faggot and join the SCA.
>>
>>44988380
>There's a small but not negligible chance they'll die.
heh...
while not getting attached to your character is a good advice but the chance of them permanently dying can change from game to game.
There are games where it's literally impossible to die permanently and then there are games where you can die permanently in the first 10 minutes and have to come back with a different one i you come back at all.
I've seem examples of the later when people tried their hardest to run into the dick forest with an open mouth
>>
>>44988514
Fair enough, I forgot that not all systems have permadeath. Although I'm certain that even those are willing to make exceptions for a certain breed of people.
>>
>>44988603
I've also seen more then once in different games that people whined so long that the organizers finally said yeah okay your character didn't perma died.

But basically you can find a whole lot o possibilities in larps as every one of them is different, that's why I always find it so hard to talk about them generally. There will be always exceptions for everything
>>
>>44988702
I've heard stories from a friend about a European larp (not going to be more specific than that) where there was a group of 'assassins'. You know, the whole clumsily dual-wielding, poorly sneaking, trying-to-hide-in-open-daylight-and-failing-horribly-at-it act. Their group was some kind of death cult where children were supposedly raised from birth to perfect the art of killing.

So, my friend walks up to them with two and tells them he isn't fond of people openly offering assassination services around town. They reply with "you can't stop us". Two minutes and six dead assassins later they have proven they most definitely can. (note: the exact number he gave me was twelve, and knowing him, that makes it about six in reality)

So one of them, let's call him Faggot, starts to complain to staff that he was killed for "out of game motives". After a long time of whining, staff finally gives in and lets him back into the game with the same character. Faggot then immediately tries to get vengeance at the guys who killed him, and tries to sneak into their tent. Failing miserably, they notice him and tell him to politely fuck off, at which point Faggot tells them he kills them in the night. Their reply is a collective "no".

The next morning, Faggot complains to the staff again. Everyone who slept in that tent vouches for the fact that Faggot never was in there. Faggot gets angry and tries to punch a staff member. Another staff member, a big burly dude, lifts up Faggot and carries him to the camping area with the message never to come back to the game.

Pity I couldn't be there myself, would've been pretty funny to see.
>>
File: 1396048535614.gif (134 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
1396048535614.gif
134 KB, 340x340
>>44988514
>run into the dick forest with an open mouth
I laughed harder than i should have
>>
>>44989554
I got similar stories like that although the pieces is all from different larps.
There was a guy who thought if he is whispering next to our tent is equal to killing us.
There was several ocassions when an organizer or a player wanted to punch one of us for various reasons (one time a player fucked up really hard with a sucker punch because plate armour)
there were also various kind of ASSASSINS...
so much stories.

tl;dr
I know that feel

>>44989866
we have colorful metaphors here, and the better ones aren't really translateable
>>
File: DSC00930.jpg (928 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSC00930.jpg
928 KB, 2448x3264
>>44989936
also one of those stories explained a little further when one of the players punched / tried to punch one of our guys.

The random guy was a kinf of PC kind of NPC line was pretty much blurred but he thought that rules doesn't really apply to him and he can do whatever the fuck want. When our guy questioned him about this and even dared to say that's not how the game works he got angry and tried to sucker punch him.
pic related is how our guy looked like, and while his armor was indeed covered with textile underneath it there was actually the standard 2mm thick plate.
Sadly the other guy didn't broke his fingers but laughs were had
>>
>>44987625
>ctrl+f Socks
came here just to post that.

>>44987909
In the Pacific Northwest at least, every larp tells you to bring more socks, cause half our sites are soaked and have drainage issues.
>>
>>44994540
I'm Dutch, and here every larp tells you to bring socks as well.

Even the ones above sea level
>>
>bump
>>
File: bardiche 1.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
bardiche 1.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Yay! Larpthread! I won't lie, the /cgl/ threads have gotten a little stagnant. I feel like we should alternate again.

Just refurbished my bardiche for an upcoming LSTD oneshot we want to do while the snow is still pristine.
>>
File: bardiche 2.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
bardiche 2.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>44996566
>>
File: 1433809964638.jpg (43 KB, 214x329) Image search: [Google]
1433809964638.jpg
43 KB, 214x329
>>44996566
>bardiche

God, I love bardiches.
>>
>>44996641
perfect for resting a musket on.

We'll see how it fares against the Pale Lord.
>>
A lot of the old timers won't understand your enthusiasm. For you, everything will be brand new and exciting, while for them, they're just sort of there to hang out. Don't be surprised by this.
>>
>bumping again
>>
>>44984323
>Next week I'm going on my first LARP

lol

dweeb
>>
File: Hand-Signals.jpg (95 KB, 624x960) Image search: [Google]
Hand-Signals.jpg
95 KB, 624x960
>>44984323
Always remember that the DM is manipulating the events of the day towards a climax. Don't go on the suspiciously jigh paying escorst mission through the zombie infedted woods. The DM needs more fodder for later.

If you're going to travel in a group travel in formation and agree on phrases for running into hostiled or friendlies. The most important resource and the one people run out of the quickest is morale. Fear and nerves infect and can send 20 people running where 5 could have held their ground.
>>
>>45002913
do people run away in larp? isn't the point and fun getting in fights with monsters?
>>
Don't wear fancy garb. By all means go in costume, but don't invest too heavily in it. You don't know if you're coming back, and people won't realize you're new and will assume you know what you're doing.
>>
>>44984323
an hero
>>
>>45003278
When I was a newbie, if a strong monster/foe wasn't distracted by someone else I'd just run like hell. If I walked around a corner of a path and saw three suspicious looking fellows I'd turn around and run like hell.

I felt the wind of the missed blow on my back when one of the three fellows decided to give chase. After missing that one swing I gained distance and they gave up.

Running can never screw you over.
>>
File: 1379574960003.jpg (120 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1379574960003.jpg
120 KB, 640x960
bomp
>>
>>45003278
Depends on the game, when it's a plague-fiend that inflicts you with crippling ailment, running is a good option.

Usually when walking along and meeting more the one other player, running is again a good idea.

And when someone shout's it's a good idea to walk calmly around a corner... and then run.

If someone else is running, try to run away ahead of them too.
>>
>>45003578
Maybe it was is a spevial circumstance for me then, but the last time a large group of people started running only half of them made it back to camp. It was a nerf zombie apocalypse game so maybe that has somethingbto do with it.
>>
>>45003278
Only if you can run faster than the average fa/tg/uy then yes running may be a good option
>>
>>45005784
how fast is the average fa/tg/uy?
>>
>>45005826

Faster than you'd think, but slower than you'd hope.
>>
>>44984323

Make sure you've got good outdoor footwear.

If you take a bunch of hits in combat and aren't sure if you should be down, go down anyway and take a moment to think abut it.
Your character just got stabbed, nobody's going to be a dick if it turns out you still had some hits left.
>>
>>45005847
that's kind of vague
>>
>>45003327
What should you generally wear, as a noob? Pics would be appreciated.
>>
>>44988508
Stop being a faggot and let people try out what they want to try out.
>>
>>44984323
Try, really, really TRY... not to sperg out around females. It sounds simple but your armor surprisingly doesn't come with a spaghetti pocket
>>
>>45009693
Assuming a fantasy larp, you can't go wrong with a basic shirt/tunic, some pants (these can just be some old-looking pants from a thrift shop, as long as they don't look modern and have no broad visible seam), and a hat. Grab a belt and some black or brown shoes that aren't blatantly modern, and you're good.
>>
>>45011802
Would decent boots be okay? Like Wolverine 1000 Mile or Red Wing Iron Rangers? Or are those too modern?
>>
>>45011892
You don't want to wear these to a larp. Trust me, they'll be competely ruined after the first day.

Having said that, they're better-looking than what most wear around here, so if you find cheap knock-off versions of those you'll be fine.
>>
>>45011995
I have an older worn out pair of each, so getting messed up wouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>45012052
If you're comfortable fighting and running in boots with heels, they'll serve perfectly.
>>
>>44984323
As logistics go, if like here you will be sleeping in tents and outside all day, LARP in winter is doable with:
BIG HEAVY WOOLEN SOCKS
BLANKETS
FURS (if you can find any kind of sheepskin, they're livesavers), put them under what you sleep in
LOTS OF WARM CLOTHES (Damart or whatever heat tech you can get your hands on)
Gloves

>>44985344
Lol I might even know people who go there.
>>
>>45012535
Also, put your clothes in plastic bags. Especially if it's humid, the water creeps in. If you have gotten drenched, you can put the clothes in the plastic bag untill you get home and it won't soak up your entire "suitcase".

People already call me the plastic bag lady in the larps I go to, but at least I always have dry underwear.
>>
How does archery typically work in LARP? Is it feasible?
>>
>>45012624
The bows are pretty weak, you need to be able to sprint, run up close, run away, or just aim like a fucktard over the line and hope something hits.

I started out as an forever!archer and now I'm a forever!halebard gal.
>>
>>45012624
You can wield a bow/crossbow in Larp, yes.
The point is, they can't go over a limit in drawing power, so the reach in most of them is quite bad.
The arrows have a soft ball of tissue instead of the tip, to prevent hurting people.
Be careful about archers though, and protect your balls. Trust me, you don't want to get shot in the groin...
>>
>>45012663
>>45012721
Thanks. One more question. What do people generally do for costumes? Is there a good place to purchase them, or are most handmade?
>>
>>45013397
As a grill I sew most of my stuff and if I ever need grand regalia and dont have time I commission it with a seamstress. As a man you've gotten quite a few pointers. Riding stores are good for boots, pants in trift stores, then I'd get a medieval shirt or two online. In yurop I might know a few but in the US I have no clue.
>>
>>45013445
Thank you. Now to find somewhere near me that has LARP events.
>>
>>45013397
there are larp shops around the world and etsy and ebay and whatnot where you can buy stuff. qualities vary greatly so are the prices. So some people just make their stuff. quality and price or that also varies
>>
Does anyone have recommendations on where to buy decent LARP weapons? Also, how have people's experiences been with making weapons, and which do people prefer?
>>
>>45013657
you have to find out what you prefer, until then don't invest too much in it, if you have to borrow a few weapons or just by cheap ones. When you figure out what suits you best you can spend more money on it
>>
File: 1429530843362.gif (366 KB, 140x160) Image search: [Google]
1429530843362.gif
366 KB, 140x160
>>44984323

Everyone's first time is sorta awkward and anxious (at least at first) just try your best.
>>
File: 1361569763809.jpg (144 KB, 656x988) Image search: [Google]
1361569763809.jpg
144 KB, 656x988
>>
File: 1stLarp.jpg (49 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1stLarp.jpg
49 KB, 480x640
>>45013657
I'm gonna say try Mytholon for a lot of your starting gear, though watch out with their weapons, some won't match the rules and regs of your local event since Germans hold different guidelines. As for stuff you should wear as a starter, (I'm just gonna go for basic medieval fantasy stuff) a pair of pants that aren't jeans, a tabbard or a tunic, and heck if you can get a fancy hat, always take a fancy hat along.

Also, to make shoes an easy IC approved item get some leg wrappings (I mean, rip up an old sheet and bind it round your ankles.)
>>
>>45008219
A sizable portion of fa/tg/uys are the tall skinny kind, which means they can run when motivated. (And so long as their asthma doesn't kick in)
>>
>>45012721
I've seen someone get shot in the neck from a far distance and faceplant. That's no fun either.
>>
>>45013445
www.Garbtheworld.com has got some good starter garb/costumes, they're in the US, but they ship around the world. Also, they love working with people to get exactly what they need. Good peeps.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.