[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's ignore GURPS for just a second. If you could snap
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
Let's ignore GURPS for just a second.

If you could snap your fingers right now, and create a game centered around a fictional universe, or even a concept, with rules that were tailored made to fit and function perfectly according to that center, what would it be. I know at least five of you are sweating and rocking back and forth in your seat trying not to type GURPS and hit post, but just humor me.

Pic related, I don't care if it's casual I want it.
>>
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Already exists, I think.

And I already figured it out for GURPS.
>>
>>44976500
>If you could snap your fingers right now, and create a game centered around a fictional universe, or even a concept, with rules that were tailored made to fit and function perfectly according to that center, what would it be. I know at least five of you are sweating and rocking back and forth in your seat trying not to type GURPS and hit post, but just humor me.
You're not as funny as you think you are, but I'd use Marvel Heroic, Legends of the Wulin or Tenra Bansho Zero.
>>
>>44977500
I wasn't trying to be funny, I'm actually tired of people saying GURPS is the answer to everything. It's a good system, but it's not a jack of all trades.
>>
File: Ar Tonelico TRPG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ar Tonelico TRPG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Ar Tonelico.

There's a fan rpg in the making but I don't speak moon, and I'm not sure there's any system that can handle the fundamental issues with the universe in a way that would be satisfying for everyone who wanted to play.
>>
I'd like a little something with the treasure and coin collecting of the old Wario games, mixed with the unpredictable nature of the Manifest Destiny/wild wild west, with the mass-competition of trying to get to the top by collecting badges like Pokémon (minus the monsters themselves).
I will never find the right words to fully describe what it is I'm after, but here's the nutshell.
>>
>>44977587
That's fair.
>>44977664
Mage: The Ascension.
>>
>>44978046
1) Magic is literally the thing holding the world together and is a common and everyday thing which kinda makes Mage unsuitable, I think. (also one of my greatest concerns is the divide between the normals and the casters, in which case hahahahahahahahahaha using Mage).
>>
>>44976500
Gundam.

I'm not sure what it is about already-existing mecha games that rubs me the wrong way, but it seems like they never hit the sweet spot to capture the feeling of a Gundam series. I think the thing that's never right is how important the pilots are - the pilot's stats and skills should account for something like 80% of the fight, otherwise a hero in a ball mech will get insta-gibbed every time. It'd also be nice if the RPG somehow encouraged players to roleplay the campaign's politics, even if it means finding themselves on separate sides of the fight. Heel- and face-turns are simply too important to leave out.
>>
>>44976500
Fallout/GURPS
It Just Werks
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 411x633) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 411x633
>>44976500
Baroque and kirby. I was working on some Baroque stuff but quit when my players found it to be too creepy.
>>
>>44979128
>Baroque and kirby. I was working on some Baroque stuff but quit when my players found it to be too creepy.
Your players are little bitches.
>>
>>44977587
>I'm tired of a highly refined universal system made by some of the best and most experienced game designers in the industry being good at it's job.
>I also don't know what jack of all trades means or else I would know that if GURPS was a good system it would have to be that.
>A bloo bloo bloo.
Next you're going to tell me how hard GURPS is and how it requires a thorough understanding of differential calculus.
>>
>>44979608
Steve Jackson go to bed
>>
File: How to magical girl.png (208 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
How to magical girl.png
208 KB, 800x500
Nanoha
>>
Actually, yes, there is something.

A good cyberpunk game. None exist right now.

Eclipse Phase is not cyberpunk.
>>
>>44976500
Pokemon.
The challenge is that the game is designed around a single player going their own pace, potentially Grinding. How to get that to translate into a Group pnp setting is the biggest problem.
By that extension, Digimon.
>>
>>44980893
Could go Mystery Dungeon (easy way) route, have all players be Pokemon, max party of six etc. etc.
>>
>>44976500
A game tailored to telling fantasy stories inspired by the novels/films/series about chosen ones saving the world and achieving their destinies, rather than some weird self-defined genre about nobody adventurers trying to grub up enough treasure to retire that is D&D.

The thing is, that game already exists, and it's 4e. Since every other edition of D&D falls into that afformentioned self-defined genre so much that you probably shouldn't even try to tell a fantasy-novel-esque story, maybe there's validity to the the argument that 4e isn't D&D, but it IS perfect for the type of game I like to run.

I suppose it could stand to be refined a bit, with some of the vestigial names/elements from older editions of D&D removed: E.G.removing class names for simply "Role+Source, fluff it yourself, but if you're uncreative here are some possibilities," and replacing the six stats with Power, Finesse, and Spirit, because at the end of the day that's all the stats really boil down to in 4e anyway, since almost nobody ever pumps two of the same save stat.

>INB4, 4e but refined, try 13th age and STRIKE!
I did, but I don't want to lose my tacticool combat baby with the six-stat old-class-names bathwater.
>>
>>44980893 was meant for >>44977757
>>
>>44976500
Mutants and Masterminds 3e
>>
>>44980974
Yeah, but then that creates the Stating issue and shit, like would a Level 15 Charmander be as strong as a level 15 Snorlax? This could create the issue of 1>2>3 being stronger early on while Pokemon Sith 3 stage evolution being strongest at the end if they actually get their.
Probably be safest in most campaigns to take a a 2 Stage, so you have moderate power throughout.
>>
>>44979608
Not OP but that's exactly why I hate GURPS. I don't want to do fucking math to play, I want to hit shit with my sword without having to look for a the goddam rules about blocking, parrying, deflecting, side stepping and all this fucking annoying boring math.

For some people that LOVE looking for all the books and cranies to absolutely optimize their damage, hitting chance, blocking and whatever, fine, it's a your.

I tried to play one time and found it so bogged down in so minor fucking details I physically retched in repulsion so much it was tedious and unfun

GURPS can do anything as long as you aren't looking for fun

Quote me on this
>>
>>44980975
Isn't Strike's whole point that it preserves 4E combat and gets rid of legacy D&D cruft?
>>
Crimson Skies.
So I can get some deep lore of the entire world in the setting and some wank for airplane junkies.
>>
>>44981062
>GURPS can do anything as long as you aren't looking for fun
>>
>>44981062
So what you're saying is you're lazy and/or an idiot
>>
File: Got em.jpg (72 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
Got em.jpg
72 KB, 960x600
>>44981154
Epic burn, bro
>>
>>44981172
I'm just saying. His complaint is that he doesn't want to do things or think too hard. Like if he can't handle a few different rules or stats, he's probably best off playing some kind of ultralite system
>>
>>44981172
What does "Jason" mean as a verb in that context
>>
>>44980975
The problem with emulating that genre is actually based in the gameplay, not anything else. That genre tends to require that one person be THE protagonist. The story revolves around them and the other characters are defined by their relation to them. RPGs are, normally, collaborative and in almost all cases played in groups by multiple players. While it's certainly possible a certain group might agree that one of them should be more important than all of the others (essentially giving him the right to hog the spotlight and dramatically prattling around him the whole story long), this isn't the type of attitude fa/tg/uys are known for.

The closest I've seen to trying to do something like that is Cinematic Unisystem, which has different starting stats for (and offers an attempt to balance) Main Heroes and Supporting Characters, but in practice nobody wants to be thought of as a "Supporting Character" while someone else on the table is the legitimate "Hero", even if you get more Drama Points for it.
>>
>>44981243
It's a joke based on the game Heavy Rain
>>
>>44981087
Lots of projects don't achieve their stated purpose: unfortunate but true. Still, it shouldn't discourage others from trying.

Their failing is that they tried to make the game work both with and without tacticool combat, which necessitated making all the power options that don't lose much utility if there wasn't a tacticool grid. Ultimately, this severely reduces the number of tacticool grid options available, making it still feel like a 13th age type deal.

A valiant effort, but it ultimately fell short.
>>
>>44981154
I am exactly both. Yes. I'm a simple man with simple tastes and I like my D&D 5e
>>
>>44981255
>The problem with emulating that genre is actually based in the gameplay, not anything else.
4e does this just fine, and all that stuff you said about there needing to be one protagonist is bunk, because you can totally have a group of destined adventurers without having to make one the official protagonist (though many will fall into archetypes.) Warriors of Light bro.

>Cinematic Unisystem
ugh. You clearly haven't played CInematic Unisystem, or really don't understand what I'm talking about. I absolutely HATE the Unisystem, Cinematic or no, and the cinematic system suffers from the problem of losing drama points when you gain abilities, and having to lose abilities to drop your drama point cap, leading to perpetual sideways advancement, which can be interesting, but nothing like the genre I'm talking about.

Basically, 4e already does exactly what I'm asking for, with the only noticeable flaws being vestigial D&D organs, and combat being a bit too long.
>>
>>44981300
Eh, different strokes for different folks. I like having a ton of options in a fight other than just "swing my sword", but I could totally see how the tons of rules could feel excessive or overwhelming. Sorry for calling you a lazy idiot
>>
>>44981396
Wow man, that was legitimately mature. Respect.
>>
>>44981062
>I don't want to do fucking math to play
The most math you will do playing a GURPS session will be simply multiplication.
There's a hell of a lot less math than D&D.
>>
>>44976500
Vanquish, Shadow of the Colossus
Mistborn
Negima!
Nightside
Smokin' Parade
No Guns Life
DOGS: Bullets and Carnage
Deadman Wonderland
G U R P S
U
R
P
S

Captcha is salt storage, how fitting
>>
>>44981503
Well yeah, but character creation is a lot more complicated, and there are generally a lot more options and variables to keep under consideration. If you're trying to go for fact, high fantasy heroism, that might not be the sort of thing you want.
>>
>>44981270
Dude, Strike has essentially two unconnected sets of mechanics: "tactical combat" and "everything else". They don't interact and you can't use your tactical combat powers outside of tactical combat
>>
>>44981562
>high fantasy heroism
m8, there's Dungeon Fantasy for that. It simplifies a lot of things, does D&D better than D&D and is their most popular GURPS line.
>>
>>44981632
I know, but I wouldn't describe DF as light or fast, though. It's totally baller as fuck , and my go-to fantasy game, but I can still definitely see why people wouldn't dig it.
>>
>>44981584
Let me rephrase: STRIKE! powers underutilize the grid element of tactical combat. I suspect this was because they wanted the combat to be playable with or without a grid, based on party/GM preference, because that would make any power that relied to heavily on grid elements underpowered in a game that wasn't using a grid.

Everything I was talking about was fully within the purview of combat, not their disconnected out of combat rules, which I quite like.
>>
>>44981632
>GURPS
>Trying for Cinematic Heroism over Gritty Simulationism

Pick one buddy, because you can't have both. GURPS isn't setting, magic, or technology-level dependent, but it IS dependent on a few atmospheric/genre assumptions.
>>
>>44981122
Warbirds is pretty close.
>>
Star Ocean series. I just love the blend of sci if and fantasy. Swords, laser guns, robots, elves, ninjas, wizards, and monsters all rolled into one.
>>
>>44976500
high powerered rags to riches adventuring with lots of magic items and monsters to fight

basically 3e with all its problems fixed (especially the fucking skill system holy shit its horrible)
>>
>>44982578
well i suppose not so much rags to riches as above average person to epic hero.
>>
>>44981722
As a GURPS gm I can confirm that it's stylistically designed to be that way. You can't undo that, but you can diminish the effects of it.
>>
>>44976500
Ork RPG, where players build vehicles and dakka, and partake in a spekul Orps kommandu, going on missions to startle the enemy, so that they call in more enemies the orks can fight. After all, a big WAAAGH is a good WAAAGH!
The building of vehicles/dakka is based around shitty crayon drawings, and scrap cost per part.
>>
File: salt_farm.jpg (169 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
salt_farm.jpg
169 KB, 640x427
>>44981555 (Czeched)
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.