[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: D&D 5e Curse of Strahd.png (305 KB, 633x305) Image search: [Google]
D&D 5e Curse of Strahd.png
305 KB, 633x305
Gothic Horror Edition

>Core rulebooks, adventure modules, Unearthed Arcana
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>Dungeon Masters Guild, buy and sell 5e shit using Wizard IPs
http://dmsguild.com

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/curse-strahd

What do you hope to see in the new Raveloft Adventures? Any races, class features, optional rules, or story arcs?
>>
>>44865929
>Any races, class features, optional rules, or story arcs?

My demands are simple...
1. A dhampyr race
2. A monster hunter tree for the ranger and fiend summoning for the warlock
3. Sanity I guess (but I could take it or leave it)
4. And a sidequest involving a ambitious scientist hiding in fear from a vengeful and cunning awakened flesh golem. No more of this clumsy moaning frankenstien's monster bullshit

I don't have my hopes up though.
>>
Old thread

>>44845872
>>
Whats a good spell book app for android?

I just picked up the character creator and the spell book is leaving me wanting.
>>
*barovian hype train accelerating*

>>44866086
probably won't get fiend summoning unless they release a BoVD

especially if they didn't release it with OotA
>>
>>44866158
What are you looking for in an app?
>>
>>44866086
How would you want fiend summoning for the warlock implemented? Just a spell above fifth level, or an invocation that requires Pact of the Chain and Fiend Patron?
>>
>no /5eg/ in the title

YA BLEW IT
>>
>>44866221
Mostly just spell descriptions, the character sheet app has slots but nothing else.

>inb4 index cards
>>
What's the password for adventures league oota?
>>
>>44865981
I say this every time it comes up, but it looks like they're going in a more 1e direction, at least as far as content and splats go. Basically they give 90% of the tools in the core 3, and leave the rest to you. Something really tells me that in a year or so we'll have another, make a setting competition.
>>
>>44866228
If it was just a copypaste of the Conjure Celestial spell but reflavored a little, I'd be fine.
>>
>>44866254
madnessofdemons. All the releases ones so far are in the Mega, though.
>>
>>44866290
>game about having lots of choices and customizability
>"don't make it TOO customizable!!!"
They add more options dude. I loved my 3.5 kenku sorcerer. I'm happily waiting for the official 5e stats so I can play him again.
>>
File: Inspire Saltiness.jpg (206 KB, 1374x768) Image search: [Google]
Inspire Saltiness.jpg
206 KB, 1374x768
>>44866290
I think you need to calm down and remember that this is a game.
>>
>>44866290
pls no one respond to this or any other trolling in this thread please i beg you fellow 5eg fa/tg/uys
>>
So Rangers seem fairly vanilla in 5e. What's the appeal if Fighters can use ranged weapons just as, if not better, than Rangers?
>>
Do you think if my rogue (thief) has expertise in athletics, at six its worth picking up acrobatics as well?

I currently have expertise in athletics, as I said, and stealth. My other level 6 expertise if I go with acrobatics will likely be either perception, but possibly slight of hand or thieves tools. Though I haven't actually used slight of hand I like the idea of having the capacity to palm things off of villains.
>>
>>44865929
Knight of the Raven (Pally or Fighter feature). I literally give less than two fucks what it is, even though it's Castle-&-Barovia, those are, to those who remember this shit it's as Ravenloft as Strahd, and the second part.

Second part, the goddamn gypo Vistani (possibly half-birn as well) as a human variant. Because they're as Barovian as Bats, dung, and Strahd's tyranny.
>>
>>44866290

This shit had better be bait
>>
>>44866290
You're being a bit harsh, but I get where you're coming from.

Who the fuck wants to play a halfling, unless they're building some kind of min-max rogue?

Bring a new player to the hobby: you can be a mighty half-orc, a graceful elf, a surly dwarf...

Nobody wants to be a hobbit. It's not even that hobbits aren't in, they're just not an exciting fantasy race to play as any more. Not when they're alongside Devil People, Dragon People, and Drizzt People.

In some sick way I hope the DMG II (if there is one) adds a variant rule for race-as-class. You can either be a (human) fighter, magic-user, or rogue, or a halfling, elf, or dwarf. Each gets a mix of the usual racial traits and class features. Not for everyone, but it would be nice for the odd one-shot or a specifically old-school style of play.
>>
>>44866362
Flavor? Aren't they loners that draw power from their reverence of nature?
>>
>>44866302
Thanks. Do you think they'll take all the resources away because of the DMsG?
>>
>>44866377

>You're being a bit harsh

>Running people out of his local scene with rumor mongering because they like things he doesn't like
>"A bit harsh"
>>
>>44866367
I don't think they could get away with it smoothly anymore. Making a racial character of a nationality as it's own race in a fantasy game (separate from human) wouldn't go over well.
>>
File: knights_by_sttheo-d8kzr24.jpg (168 KB, 1600x771) Image search: [Google]
knights_by_sttheo-d8kzr24.jpg
168 KB, 1600x771
>>44866230
one job to do !

why does 5th edition have the worst OP of any game on this board! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

at least this pic isnt total absolute shit (tho I don't like it personally). whatever though.
>>
>>44866408
It's /tg/, I assume every post is hyperbole. Look at any elf thread.
>>
>>44866422
Hence human variant. Hell they don't go all stupid about it and it fits. They already did that shit with cleaning the half-orcs
>>
File: trophy for you!.gif (54 KB, 370x250) Image search: [Google]
trophy for you!.gif
54 KB, 370x250
>>44866290
>>
>>44866362
the point of the Ranger in itself is dumb. He is basically a Fighter with more skill points and some token spellcasting. It is silly. the sheer existence and persistence of the class is really tiresome and dumb.
>>
>>44866377

>Who the fuck wants to play a halfling, unless they're building some kind of min-max rogue?

In the last thread there was an entire party that collectively wanted to play Gnomes, evidently being short appeals to SOME people.
>>
>>44866487
the point of the Paladin in itself is dumb. He is basically a Cleric with less magic and some token combat ability. It is silly. the sheer existence and persistence of the class is really tiresome and dumb.
>>
File: Wizards right and wrong.png (10 KB, 200x233) Image search: [Google]
Wizards right and wrong.png
10 KB, 200x233
>>44866290
>And since I have influence in the local tabletop scene I guarantee you I can start rumors that will make you unable to find a game within 35 miles
Jesus fucking christ, WIZARD DETECTED.
>>
>>44866529

At least the paladin isn't shit.
>>
>>44865929
Dear /5eg/

How do I stat a "scout" sort of rogue? I want to be the guy that scopes out traps and checks for ambushes. Dex first, the Int for the Inspection check? Or wis for perception? And I know con should be up there too.
>>
>>44866254
>in a year or so we'll have another, make a setting competition
>in a year or so
No! I need more time!
>>
File: Pallbearers.png (850 KB, 1257x810) Image search: [Google]
Pallbearers.png
850 KB, 1257x810
Someone asked about a campaign update for my 5e Ravenloft Campaign I started back in October that's still going on, so here we go:

>3 PC's
>one half-elf sorcerer with mysterious origins of a golden dragon scale and his father having a chance encounter with a Golden Dragon
>one half-elf rogue who's father (elf) sold himself into slavery in order to feed his wife and child, who is also a pseudo bard, and has since left the party permanently due to personal reasons
>one human Life Domain Cleric who is a devout follower of Chauntea, has a tiefling Druid as a girlfriend, and who is also one of his devout followers after abandoning Sylvanus

These 3 are snatched from Evrad (a homebrew world I made) and transported to Barovia due to the Vistani and the Dark Powers being blocked from seeing what is happening inside of Castle Ravenloft. For a time, the Vistani had the power to divine the futures of anyone, including Strahd and his cohorts, but until recently, they are unable to divine anything happening from the castle or it's inhabitants. Having sent countless adventurer's into the castle in order to find out (and this is exemplified by the numerous corpses that litter the halls and rooms of said castle), they have had no such luck. Now they are turning to these three.

>players themselves are terrified once they learn where they actually are. Their characters however are intrigued, and peruse through the various traps and encounters

>the cleric ends up seeing a portrait of his Tiefling g/f on the wall of one of the living spaces. hm..

>the rogue finds it insanely hard to fight any of these tough beasts without a silver or appropriate weapon. The group decides to melt the tons of gold in a makeshift forge they find in one of the castle's kitchens, make daggers than can penetrate damage resistances (because they found a diary of recently deceased adventurer that detailed that gold and silver hurt them).
>>
>>44866529
But that's exactly what the paladin is. Another shitty addition.
Just like the Sorcerer. The picked up the Wizard and said "damn, too much spells, so little time." And they made the sorcerer. And holy shit. They now created even another abomination based on the sorcerer: the Warlock. It is the spin-off of the spin-off. Holy. Shit.
>>
File: 1452837461568.png (183 KB, 500x519) Image search: [Google]
1452837461568.png
183 KB, 500x519
>>44866610
>4e rangers
>Not good
>>
>>44866590
>while making less work for the DM's setting
>completely ignores the possibility that DMs might be the ones who want to include more races in their settings
>>
>>44866579
That's the or so bit, am ght be a year or three.
>>
>>44866610

>but it also a hobby I care about and enjoy, and I will defend it.

This literally MUST be bait.

No one is this much of a fuckpocalyptic oversperg

>I AM THE VALIANT DEFENDER OF DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!
>I WILL WARD IT FROM THE EVIL INFLUENCE OF ANYONE WHO DARES TO LIKE SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN IN THE GAME SINCE IT'S FIRST EDITION!

Kill yourself.
>>
>>44866637
>Adding more races suddenly means DMs can't make their own races.
>>
File: 1452822383759.jpg (172 KB, 1100x822) Image search: [Google]
1452822383759.jpg
172 KB, 1100x822
>>44866643
>They were shit, anon
You never played 4e did you?
>>
>>44866553
Throw expertise in Stealth and Perception. That's all it takes, really. Investigation proficiency might help as well.

Stealth + Perception is the best expertise combo for rogues, anyway.
>>
>>44866643
They were the best damage dealers in the whole game, they were movie-tier Legolas.
>>
>>44866643

You literally haven't played 4th edition.

Rangers were far and away the best damage dealers of 4e

And 4e was all about dealing damage.
>>
>>44866610
>defend it
Does IT refer to the proper way to playing D&D as laid out by our lord Anon?

But for reals, you are getting really worked up over make believe.
>35 miles
Kek, almost at Navy Seals pasta levels
>>
>>44866627
Shit. He don't know he's a wizard. This makes him the evolved form of wizardy: THE WARLOCK.
>>
>>44866602

>they encounter Stone gargoyles and all but 1 almost dies

>they encounter Vampire Zombies that drain health after they grapple and all but 1 almost dies

>they encounter monsters that are incorporeal and hit for a lot and all but 1 almost dies

>they encounter 7 witches who have a 13 year old Barovian human girl locked in a wardrobe who they and a Nighthag known only as "The Ragwitch" intend to eat, whose father is a hunter and forced to enter the castle against his will due to a mob of villagers believing that he is in league with Strahd and the recent deaths in the village. Because of this, his daughter (wardrobe girl) chose to chase after him armed with nothing but a shortsword and a personality like Mattie Ross from the film True Grit, with a devout belief in the Morninglord ("No matter how bleak. No matter how dark the night. Dawn will come.") and essentially played like a Mormon. Her father tho has a strange weapon (Reneissance Pistol) and speaks only Balok. The party rescues her, and happens to immediately run into her father.
>>
>>44866627

>High school level social politics and spreading rumors about people because they like things you don't like
>"Social influence"

fucking kek
>>
I hope with Ravenloft, they add a Dark Powers patron for the warlock. It'd be a quick add and it'd create a steady foundation for characters in the story
>>
Have you/your players ever interrogated an NPC only for them to respond with "it doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan"?
>>
>>44866688
Is this the /5eg/ pasta? Because even through the tourneyfags, 40kids, and charop only faggots were all spergs, I've never seen somebody sperg this bad.
>>
>>44866610
>It is a game, but it also a hobby I care about and enjoy, and I will defend it.

There's no need to defend D&D in the first place, because if you look outside your window, you'll notice it's not Reagan's America, and that Jack Chick isn't leading a horde of angry Christians in front of your local FLGS burning Dungeon Masters Guides.
>>
>>44866762
This sounds like a great game. Is it always the same guy that evades death?
>>
>>44866822

He's "defending it" from people who play it wrong anon.
>>
>>44866765
Honestly, that influence thing sounds like something a sperglord says because they talk the FLGS owners ear off all the time, whether or not the owner is reciprocating
>>
>>44866843
So people who trigger his sperg rage?
>>
File: shibe.jpg (23 KB, 611x633) Image search: [Google]
shibe.jpg
23 KB, 611x633
>>44863919
>the GM changed his display name on Skype and has been offline all day
>two hours past game time and no word of what happened
I've had players flake but I've never seen a GM flake, let alone this hard.
>>
>>44866864
Maybe he wasn't prepared and panicked?
>>
>>44866854
Be warned the player who wishes to play a dragonborn within 35 miles of this GM.
>>
File: asdffffff.jpg (153 KB, 990x687) Image search: [Google]
asdffffff.jpg
153 KB, 990x687
>>44866762

It is here where things get interesting during the last session we had, which was yesterday

>Rogue has left the game for good, so I just let the players play his character until I figure out what to do (he called off literally an hour before we started)

>they walk into the Iron Golem room with the Gems, which has 2 Iron Golems and the players are level 4

>I repeat, level FOUR. 2 Iron golems

>DMissweating.jpg

>players start fucking with everything, the sorcerer walks in and takes the gem in one of the golems hands while the other goes to open the chest in the middle of the room

>cleric gets gassed by sleep cloud and the doors shut out the young girl and her father and the iron golem wakes up in this tiny room, no way out, golems are rolling +13 to hit 3d8+7 damage, almost kills the cleric and the rogue but they manage to throw the gem in the braizier and the golems immediately stop and move back into position and the doors open again

>they raid the chest, it's a fucking deck of many things (the module literally puts it in there, after they figure out the trick to the chest) and a bunch of magic scrolls and potions

>girl and father walk in asking the players what happened

>as the sorcerer is filling them in, the cleric ties to open the southern door

>herewegoagain.gif
>>
>>44866778
I'd totally play this! Get a few shadow and necromancy perks. Maybe get a boost like the 3.5e shifter race.

I want to play a Halloween warlock!
>>
>18 Extra feats (51)
>New Feats
>5 Minute Workday Presents: Feats
>26 Brand New Feats!
These are starting sound like fucking Buzzfeed articles.
>>
YOU ALL DISAPPOINT ME 5EG FALLING FOR THIS MANS OBVIOUS BAIT AND TROLLING.

I SHALL RETIRE TONIGHT DEPRESSED FOR MY BROTHERS FELL IN DROVES BEING BAITED LIKE TWELEVE YEAR OLDS.

What is wrong with you people that you, yes you, not the troll, you would shit up this thread so much by responding to him. Trolling is a fact of life on this board, but you don't need to feed him so much that 2/3 of the posts on this are responding to a troll and arguing about 4th edition Rangers.

Disappointing
>>
>>44866952
This Warlock learnt how to Summon Fiends with this One Easy Trick!
Click here to find out How!
>>
>>44866952
>Feat number 4 will make you rip your dick off!
>>
>>44866965
Oi! If you don't like rangers, just don't fucking play them.
>>
>>44866975
>DMs Hate Him!
>He is level *5*
>Looks like level *10*
>Local homebrewer exposes shocking 5e cheese. Learn the $5 trick to his stunning results.
>LEARN THE TRUTH NOW
>>
>>44866900

>golems come alive, knock the rogue back down to -14 again, sorcerer casts spiderclimb, runs up the wall, jumps a dex check successfully onto an arm and pulls a different gem out of the golems other hand (inspirational roll), and makes a dash for the brazier

>meanwhile golem number two makes a critical on the 13-year-old girls father

>literally smashes him into nothing but a misty stain upon the cratered stone

>Sorcerer feels like fucking shit as she's crying at her fathers remains because he couldn't get to the brazier in time

>they luck out and end up opening the door they wanted

>girl asks for the Sorcer's spellcasting focus (which is a wand) "because she's interested in it," tears on her face, so the sorcerer says okay

>she snaps the wand in half and tells him it's his fault he died, storms off to cry somewhere

>Sorcerer goes ape shit, about to beat the living shit out of her for destroying the one item he needs in order to cast spells and get them out of this god-forsaken-hell-hole

>turns out his anger dissipates when he realizes the wand had a secret rod inside it that gives some clue to his power's origins

and that's where we ended the campaign for now

now I need a player to replace the rogue PC. the character has to stay though because important plot devices require him.
>>
>>44866952
>The five feats that the celebrities are using!
>Learn how to trick your patron to give you more power with this new unbelievable feat that is making everyone nuts!
>>
>>44867050
>>44867026
>>44866996
>>44866975
Ok thank you we get it
>>
>>44867055
>They have been fucking up my games for years now.
Good.
>>
>>44866952
>feats
Oh cr
>Remember that even boons in not Demiplane Barovia came at a price.
I'm keeping my eye on you WotC.
>>
>>44867055
At least they're actually using shit in the book man.
I got a pathfinder campaign where one player, after being told where all the basic races lived and interacted on the continent we were on, went straight to the part of the book that tells you how to build custom races and just shit on everything. The GM was too disheartened to bother stopping him.
>>
>>44867055
Good, maybe they'll push your sperg ass to an hero and save your players.
>>
>>44867057
You're welcome :^)
>>
>>44867079
The feats are being produced by homebrewers for the DMs Guild site, not Wizards proper

Also Barovia in the upcoming adventure is in a demiplane connected to Shadowfell, this is mentioned in the DMG and was confirmed by Crawford on Twitter. There's been no backpedaling to Greyhawkenloft.
>>
>>44867055
And the grognard speaks.
>>
>>44867142
Nice, maybe we'll get some "make another classic Ravenloft domain thing. Because fuck it, I want my goddamn not!Jekyll and not!Frankenstein.
>>
>>44865929
> Didn't tag the fucking thread edition
>>
File: reeeee.jpg (118 KB, 618x564) Image search: [Google]
reeeee.jpg
118 KB, 618x564
>>44867223
>>
>>44867198
I thought Locate City Bomb didn't actually work? Like there was an issue someone misunderstood about the damage being added from some metamagic shit not actually working.
>>
>>44866443
Salty the thread connoisseur has arrived.
>>
>>44867198
Perhaps that's D&D's way of saying to you that you should stop playing D&D, for your own sake.
>>
ssssssh
just leave him be
>>
File: 4831740711_0ae7ca71f3_b.jpg (467 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
4831740711_0ae7ca71f3_b.jpg
467 KB, 1024x683
>>44866841

usually the cleric and the rogue, equally...he really puts himself in dangerous positions and is incredibly unlucky. and also the death saves and cleric help a lot so it's kind of hard for them to die

which reminds me, the rogue did die. that's another tale:

> after enterting the Chapel and encountering Strahd for the first time, (which was more flash and fireworks of an encounter than an actual fight) and end up with this super powerful holy Artifact that's Legendary class magic item

>"hurr durr DM we want to Long Rest in the spooky fucking castle again now like we did when we first got here"

>like hell you do, roll on the encounter table

>its a fucking Wraith (CR 5) and they are all level 3

>it sucks the life out of the rogue, he dies

>I immediately stop the game and ask out of character to the player of the rogue and the rest of the party how they feel about character death and this one's death

>players say it's whatever, the rogue saying he's fine with rolling a different character

>say "well let's say the item sacrifices itself for your life. Fair trade? This is an open narrative, so I have something for that if you're cool with running with it?" he says sure

>The artifact (made of silver) literally starts melting in the Cleric's hand, and he drops it from the burning of the metal. It becomes a molten puddle that runs along the floor, burns the flesh of the Rogue and sears into his chest

>meanwhile in the Ethereal plane, the rogues soul is moving away from his body when these plant-like vines shoot from his corpse, wrap around his soul, and pull him back into his body

>rogue wakes up screaming in agony, alive, with the smell of flesh in his nostrils and a newly fashioned tattoo of a rose (nudge nudge, Chauntea) embedded within his chest. Literal silver inlaid body modification.

and this is the guy who ditched my game. I made all that shit up on the spot. fml.
>>
>>44867223
Have you ever considered playing a different game? Dungeon Crawl Classics seems more your style.
>>
>>44867143
Not even a grognard given the lack of half-orcs, half-elves, gnomes and halflings, and the inclusion of orcs. He ain't protecting shit, and obviously isn't a grog due to putting in a race that's a fucking monster, while booting 4 races that have been a part if the game since 1e, or fuck OD&D with Halflings.
>>
>>44867223
I said maybe they'll push your ass to do everybody a favor faggot.
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 500x500
>>44867259
Haha true

It me
>>
>>44867223
>Not liking shitty low effort players makes me a grognard?
No,
>Try learning actual roleplaying, instead of babby D&D shit.
THAT makes you a grognard.
>>
>>44867308
We've waited for you. Welcome back.
>>
Well this thread has had a lot of deep discussion but can I ask a quick question not related to game philosophy?

Does Reszur mean anything? It's not Latin I don't think.
>>
if anyone hasn't figured it out yet, you can play Ravenloft right now in 5e, a guy made 2 pdfs with everything you need

albeit it's not official, but I'm using it now it's working just fine honestly. It's got all the monsters that aren't in the 5e MM, except witches, but I just ran those as commoners who are level 3 spell casters.
>>
File: darkestdungeon1.png (742 KB, 1765x1468) Image search: [Google]
darkestdungeon1.png
742 KB, 1765x1468
>>44865929
So has anyone tried stating the heroes from Darkest Dungeon?

I'm trying to think of what the Highwayman or the Plague Doctor would be, since there isn't much in the way of rules for pistols or poison bombs.

I mean there is, but you couldn't base a class around it.
>>
>>44867387
>sz in word
Either west Slavic or Hungarian
>>
>>44867400

and here's the second
>>
>>44866643
>WotC likes to keep the power four as powerful as ever.
Okay, I know that three of the "power four" have to be Cleric, Druid, and Wizard...but what's the fourth?
>>
>>44867387
I think it might just be a play on "razor."
>>
>>44867387
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=It+doesn%27t+mean+shit.
>>
>>44867434
Likely.
>>
>>44867400
Neat! Thanks!
>>
Wow are these generals always so terrible?
>>
>>44866290
>And since I have influence in the local tabletop scene I guarantee you I can start rumors that will make you unable to find a game within 35 miles.
This is gold. Solid fucking gold.
>>
>>44867476
Not from what I've seen. We just had a faggot pop up, and OP fuck up.
>>
>>44867476
Not always, but usually.
>>
>>44867476
Sometimes they're honestly really really good

Like I could be discussing this game on any forum on the Internet and I would pick this. But today not so much.
>>
>>44867057
I laughed, fuck you.
>>
File: shitposting.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
shitposting.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>44867542
>>
>>44865929
My friend and I are thinking of joining our local dnd adventure league. What should we expect? Anybody have any good or bad experiences? What about fun experiences?
>>
>>44867451
This seems needlessly aggressive but ok message received

>>44867434
>>44867412
Thanks. Most Slavic countries based on googling seem to use the word britva for razor. The etymology of razor is rasour or raser so I think Reszur being just a play off of that is likely.
>>
>>44867613
Sorry I wasn't actually trying to be aggressive.
>>
>>44867643
Oh maybe I'm just getting too sensitive for this place haha.

But ok no worries
>>
>>44867542
Then what the fuck are you doing here, in a thread, that's a general mind you, for the latest edition of D&D?
>>
>>44867770
Well, of course there's a six month waiting list to get into your games. All the players within 35 miles have to pass your approval before they can play with anyone else.

You're lucky you unionized when you did and got legislation passed so that it's illegal to game with non-union DMs.
>>
s t o p
>>
>>44867770
>implying
Fuck you, all I wanted to do was recreate my old 1e halfling "thief". But I guess that's too edgy for your sperglord ass.
>>
Virt, put your trip back on, you aren't fooling anyone.

>>44867404
>So has anyone tried stating the heroes from Darkest Dungeon?
Well, going by the OP, we've got a Bard, Cleric, Paladin and the non-spellcasting Ranger variant.
>>
Looks like they updated DM's Guild to now show average contribution, rather than "suggested" on PWYW.

Mind you, it's still only counting sales, since I happen to know that roughly seven hundred orders of my title have been for $0.00, but whatever.
>>
File: Osver Brambleface Change.png (122 KB, 800x426) Image search: [Google]
Osver Brambleface Change.png
122 KB, 800x426
>>44866513
My first 5e character was a Halfling Paladin with a level in Monk, for a tiny armorless hairy old man with a righteous stick of god.
>>
>>44866290
>I guarantee you I can start rumors that will make you unable to find a game within 35 miles.
Is this a daily racial?
>>
>>44868697
It's from the internet tough guy human variant up on DMsG.
>>
>>44868755
Fine then. Should I make cultural variants for humans ever?
>>
File: Gnomes.jpg (77 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Gnomes.jpg
77 KB, 512x512
Why all the Gnome hate?
>>
>>44868818
Glittergold a SHIT
>>
>>44868818
Glittergold a shit, everybody plays WoW gnomes over David Slapyourshit gnomes.
>>
>>44868904
so?
>>
File: Gnome Tear.png (222 KB, 397x254) Image search: [Google]
Gnome Tear.png
222 KB, 397x254
>>44868873
>>44868904
>Glittergold a SHIT
>>
I suffer from a strange problem of wanting to build characters that mechanically suck. Is there any good way to be

>a righteous paladin
>that can spam eldritch blasts too
>and is the party face
>>
>>44865929
I'm getting into GMing and going to run Hoard of the Dragon Queen. What are some ways I can make it better/more interesting for my players? ((They're a group of murder hobos who enjoy social intrigue and approach fights like puzzles rather than just "I hit it with my sword until it's dead".))
>>
>>44867770
Ah, I see. Ban expired, eh?
>>
>>44868970
Palalock actually works pretty well. And it'd be quite easy to be the party face with the high Charisma you'd have from both. Just need to stick proficiency into Deception and Persuasion.

I'd say go two into Warlock to beef up your Eldritch Blast, and then put the rest into Paladin. But there may be a more optimal build out there.
>>
>>44868725
kek
>>
>>44868970
Warlock/paladin combos get short-rest spell slots for smites. And they're both charisma-based.

Go warlock 2/Paladin X.
>>
>>44868970
Paladin/Warlock multiclass works well together. You can also just pick up EB with a feat.
>>
>>44868970
Paladin of Vecna?
>>
>>44869028
>>44869042
>>44869043

Backstory necessitates REVENGENCE, so I think I'm going Oath of Vengence, would it be the wrong move to pick Tomelock instead of Bladelock?

Also, we're starting at level 3, so I figure I have to pick up the warlock levels moving forward
>>
>>44868970
>>a righteous paladin
>>that can spam eldritch blasts too

Is this an RP question? Constantly deny casting Eldrticth Blast and complain when it succeeds.

WHAT FOUL MAGIC IS THIS?
>>
>>44868917
It's annoying and is the other worst thing to come out of Dragonlance, so of course people are going to hate it. Well that and also adding in that pre-4e they were also the odd man out of not being a Tolkien based core race, and were often the only core with SLAs or spells. And there you have the full reason they're hated.
Garl Glittergold in a fit of jealousy tries to genocide them then goes "I was only kidding", Dragonlance through WoW makes them annoying gremlins, their racial being a why the fuck isn't this a restricted race like their underdark sub-race, and finally the up until 4e, core odd man out status.

>>44868942
He tried to commit genocide and pass it off as a joke.
>>
>>44869064
>would it be the wrong move to pick Tomelock instead of Bladelock?
Nobody here is going to tell you that'd be the case, Anon.
>>
I'm a gnome and I play him like my WoW character, what's the problem?
>>
>>44869064
>Bladelock
Get at least 5 in Lock for thirsting blade.

>>44869081
JUST A PRANK BRO
>>
>>44867433
Roog
>>
>>44869064
start as paladin so you get proficiencies, any of the 3 oaths work in this case, but if you're not going up to warlock 12 bladelock isn't going to hit its peak.

Don't underlook chain, it's fun.
>>
>>44869113
>Get at least 5 in Lock for thirsting blade.
...OR he could just pick up Extra Attack as a Paladin.

Which you're going to do anyway.

They don't stack, Anon.
>>
File: 1429204337485.jpg (246 KB, 636x900) Image search: [Google]
1429204337485.jpg
246 KB, 636x900
>>44869101
my minmaxiholic friend said that bladelock paladins are one of the most minmaxed DPR classes in the game, and I do like to be able to kill shit gud. Though I play to take sword and board rather than two handed fighting.

>>44869131
I forget what Chain even does...?

Also, would it be too cancerous to ask for
>dubs names my character?
I'm really bad at choosing names
>>
>>44869162
>dubs names my character?
Guy
>>
>>44869113
>Just a prank.
>Actual divine text message as reported by the Deific Enquirer: hey Io, get off your ass and tell your grandchildren to give me that mine, never mind, killed them all because my own followers are lazy asses.
>>
>>44869181
Female pally, not a male
>>
>>44869208
Galinda Wymnscream
>>
>>44869208
Jirell.
>>
>>44869162
You shall be named Phaeris Weal
>>
>>44868974
Ran a game last night. One of the players knows the MM's back to front so I constantly throw little tweaks so he can't "I know that creature" everything.
>Party fighting souped-up Shield Guardian
>Higher AC than normal, but AC lowers as it loses HP.
>It eventually gets to fairly low health
>Armour plate falls away, it's glowing inside
>Party Warlock rolls for arcana and passes, doesn't say anything just runs away screaming from the room
>Party remains battering this construct while it's glowing brighter and the room is starting to swelter
>Construct starts swatting people aside and knocking them down
>Construct goes chernobyl with a delayed blast fireball
>Almost TPK
>>
>>44869233
Okay
>>
>>44869233
Checked

>>44869162
>>44869208
Background?
>>
>>44869162
Fiora
>>
>>44869259
De Joixrei might work as a family name, sorry forgot that.
>>
>>44869269
see >>44863344
for the short and snarky version
>>
>>44869162
Patricia Bateman.

Check 'em.
>>
>>44869277
Fuck you, you took my dubs.
>>
>>44869319
Nigga they were already checked before your weak ass shit.
>>
I read the Racial Feature Analysis in the homebrew material provided by the OP, and I had a small question.

I have a custom racial trait that looks like this:
> Superior Balance: Gain advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) skill checks and saving throws made to avoid or escape grapples, be knocked prone, or maintain balance.

The RFA has an example for the Ratfolk that gives them advantage on Perception checks that rely on smell. This adds a 0.5 to their score, so I was wondering if mine would add a 1.5 since it affects grapples, prone, and balance? Or would it just be 0.5?

Does that sound OP?
>>
>>44869302
>Brother

Why is it always a family member? I actually like your backstory thb senpai.
>>
File: Dubs.jpg (178 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Dubs.jpg
178 KB, 1280x720
>>44869339
They are our dubs now.
>>
>>44866086
>4. And a sidequest involving a ambitious scientist hiding in fear from a vengeful and cunning awakened flesh golem. No more of this clumsy moaning frankenstien's monster bullshit
They already did that, it's called Adam's Wrath.
>>
>>44869387
Because the last time I played a female character with a male antagonist hook, the DM made it really really awkward. Hopefully between making it a family member and having a new DM, I won't have to suffer that again.
>>
>>44869387
Truth be told anon, a mentor or random stranger would be as cliché. And one making little sense.
>>
File: 1423977546554.png (671 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1423977546554.png
671 KB, 704x480
I'm new to being a DM and don't know where to look for this, but are there any rules regarding the limitations of a party during combat?

I'm wondering whether or not it would be appropriate for members of a party to strategize while in the middle of combat. Combat starts a turn-based system, so isn't that a bit compromised by speaking with everyone about what you should do?
>>
>>44869424
They already did it in 1814, its how Adam/The Minster actually was. Unfortunately the Universal and Hammer version went with what is conjured up when you say Frankenstein.
>>
Someone give me a hand and help me find the wealth by level table?
>>
>>44869162
Gwendolyn Aylord
>>
>>44869461
I would try to squash too much talk mid-combat. Anything that involves such planning should be shortened to characters shouting something like "get behind him!" or "hold him down while I stab him!" or something like that, nothing too long at all.
>>
>>44869461
30 second turn limit.
Stops that one guy from running the whole game and playing 5 characters by himself.
>>
>>44869486
That's what I was thinking of, but would that dialogue be limited to the person acting, or would his whole team be able to chime in with orders?
>>
File: starting equipment.png (345 KB, 763x329) Image search: [Google]
starting equipment.png
345 KB, 763x329
>>44869477
DMG pg 38.

But ultimately it doesn't matter for balance, only for figuring out how well-known and wealthy higher-level characters should be.
>>
>>44869500
This is also something I considered implementing, but I'm afraid they'd complain about it limiting their creativity or some shit.
>>
>>44869524
1 minute works better, and still cuts down on shit.
>>
>>44869524
They've got plenty of time for thinking when it's not their turn. By the time their turn comes around, they should pretty much be ready to act.
>>
So I doubt I'll ever get to run it, but im super interested in OoTA, is it a good campaign to run? Or should I wait out for the Ravenloft one in 2 months?
>>
>>44869470
Adam's Wrath is actually a module, though.

And don't call him 'The Monster' he's a Frankenstein too.
>>
>>44869518
I feel armor deprived just looking at that

On a side note, is there any reason to think a lantern that burns when there are lost souls near would be imbalanced or overpowered or anything? Functionally, it would just be a lantern that doesn't require oil tracking, and from an RP perspective I want to play kind of a Guide for the Dead, one who prays and gives guidance to lost souls searching for the afterlife, when I'm not cleaving monsters and smiting evil.

desu I've always loved FFX's pyreflies and the need to 'send' the dead
>>
>>44866290
>Tolkien shit
>god tier
>Non Tolkien races
>shit tier
>>
>>44869568
Run OotA if it interests you. It is a really fun campaign imo.

Also, an alternative you could do is run ravenloft before starting up OotA because technically there is a break in the campaign around lvl 6 where your expected to lvl up to lvl 8 before reentering the underdark and the ravenloft modules if played in order are suppose to get you to lvl 8.
>>
>>44869610
Not really, since at 3rd level any cleric or wizard can spend 50 gp to make a permanent heatless flame (through Continual Flame).
>>
File: shibe HAPPY.jpg (65 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
shibe HAPPY.jpg
65 KB, 540x540
>tfw someone pays a bit more than what you asked for on your PWYW product
>>
>>44869162
>my minmaxiholic friend said that bladelock paladins are one of the most minmaxed DPR classes in the game
If you bother to stick stick around Warlock until level 12 so that you can pick up lifedrinker, sure.

But you won't, because you're giving up too much Paladin goodness to get that far.

PoB is fun for thematics, and from a roleplaying standpoint carries the fringe benefit of never being able to be fully stripped of your weapons, but if you're looking for ways to boost your Paladin DPR, there's cheaper ways to do it.
>>
How do the new Barbarian totems animals in SCAG stack up? Elk doesn't look to exciting but Tiger's got some cool looking stuff.
>>
>>44869823
A sorcerer/paladin is likely to have a higher DPR simply from having more spell slots sooner. Plus you can get some decent controls spells and defensive buffs through sorcerer.
>>
>>44869598
He was disowned. And the wasn't Adam's Wrath a Ravenloft module dealing with the Darklord in question?
>>
>>44869629
Anon, he shits on halflings (which represent but are legally distinct from hobbits) so he's even saying Tolkien shitvis shit tier.
>>
File: wuv.png (156 KB, 226x266) Image search: [Google]
wuv.png
156 KB, 226x266
>Ravenloft focused Adventurer's league modules
>>
>>44869880
Yes. It's the one where the PCs get killed by hags and resurrected into flesh golems.
>>
>>44869302
fags play girls
>>
>>44869909
The pseudotolkien fetish fags like hiim tend to omit a lot of Tolkien races (like ents, balrogs, maiar, etc), so exclusion of one does not mean he's not just another "if its not in Tolkien its not in my campaign" faggot.
>>
>>44869836
Elk's 3rd level totem is pretty good (by 5th level with it you'll have 55ft speed while raging) but tiger is kind of mediocre unless you're actually jumping all over the place. Extra proficiencies makes tiger the best 6th-level totem as a rule. At 14th, Elk gives you the equivalent of an at-will bonus action attack that can't crit and tiger straight-up gives you a bonus action attack if you move in a straight line.

IMO:

3rd: Bear > Wolf > Elk = Eagle > Tiger
6th: Tiger > Eagle > Wolf = Elk > Bear
14th: Eagle = Elk > Wolf = Bear > Tiger
>>
>>44869952
Yeah, there's a reason he's called Adam, it was Shelly's name for the Child of Dr Frankenstein.
>>
Just started playing a Sorcerer in a 5e game. We've got a barbarian, monk, fighter. They all charge in so I cannot use AOE based abilities (like Fireball). I feel useless because combat boils down to Scorching Ray, Scorching Ray, Scorching Ray, Fire Bolt, Fire Bolt, Fire Bolt, Fire Bolt, Fire Bolt.

Any advice? My character feels bored and near useless next to the 1d10+10 barbarian and every one else. I feel I lost all the utility that Sorc/Wiz had in 3.5.
>>
>>44869976
don't forget Bjorn's folk
>>
>>44869976
He's a faggot anyways. Since Orcs shouldn't be a playable race.
>>
Does anyone have a screenshot of the 5e rules for guns and lasers and such?
>>
>>44869836
Basically what >>44869981 said. But if you want to choose something seems fun you might still enjoy it.
>>
>>44870011
They've been playable since 2e/BECMI.
>>
>>44869994
Hurl fireballs so they *don't* hit your allies is the secret anon.
>>
>>44870055
Most of those fireballs tend to be useless against a group, I have to position it so it hits one or two instead of 5.
>>
>>44869994
Careful spell is your friend.
>>
>>44870047
If we're going off of strict Tolkein they shouldn't.
>>
>>44869994
>whatiscarefulspell
>>
>>44870072
I need Sorc points for spell slots to pump out the damage, no?
>>
Not really sure if this is the place to ask, but making an entire thread seems like too much.

I'm about to be in my first in-person game of 5e (one other game was online and didn't last long). I was thinking about rolling a Gnome Wizard focusing on illusions, but I'm concerned I might be totally gimping myself or the party if I do so. DM has us starting at 8th level and there doesn't look like there will be any other main casters in the party, closest is a pally.

Any tips for building an illusion focused wizard /tg/?
>>
>>44870074

Tbqh only humans and halflings should be playable. Maybe dwarves.

Elves and wizards are DMPCs only
>>
>>44870074

Because other people's tastes = shit tier, your tastes = god tier, right?
>>
>>44869994
Going by you having 3rd-level spells:
- If your teammates lock someone down, throw Cloud of Daggers on it and rack up that DOT
- Hold Person combined with strong melee people can end an encounter in a blink
- Phantasmal force can more or less disable any target with shit intelligence
- A well-placed Web can lock down multiple enemies while your teammates wail on them.
- Haste will make your melee friends SUPER deadly.
- Slow lets you choose its targets and severely debuff them.
>>
>>44870087
What level is your group?
>>
>>44870125
This actually helps a lot, just wish I would have thought of it myself. Thanks, gonna throw that on my list of spells for the next time I level up. Start swapping out things.
>>
>>44870125
It sounds like he wants to do big blasts, fireballs, cone of cold, etc. rather than control or rays and such.
>>
>>44870132
Just hit 5th.
>>
>>44870118
Nah people should play what they like. I thought 35 miles guy dropped out.
>>
>>44869868
>sorcerer circlejerk
Nobody asked.
>>
>>44869113
Whenever you're about to commit genocide, just yell "Surprise!" that way it's not a crime against humanity, just a prank gone wrong.
>>
5eg, my players constantly cast identify on everything they find that's magical, and I feel as though it takes the fun and risk out of the items I reward them with. Is identify suppose to make iding items so easy and passive?
>>
I added the AL narrative things to the Mega because someone asked last thread.

Also I think someone a few threads asked for Primeval Thule for 5e and no one delivered, but I have it sitting around for some reason so here: https://mega.nz/#!9UcU0BzT!6pHs44DOCkpkojnRMY5ny0A9D2PZ3BSRIanvDvaQIPQ
>>
>>44870087
Then you end up with powerful spells that you can't throw. Which is your problem.
Careful fireballs > No fireball.
>>
>>44865929
wait, so is the Scout archetype for fighter just completely useless? all it does it "give" you things you already gain as a part of core fighter.

>>44870047
as CE, maybe.
>>
>>44870271
They can do the same thing by spending an hour with it.

Keep in mind that neither identify nor meditating on it reveals any cursed aspects of it.
>>
>>44870257
>humanity
>Kobolds
>>
>>44870292
So for instance if they use identify on Drown from PotA I shouldn't have to tell them the flaw it has, correct?
>>
>>44870291
Nah Book of Humanoids in 2e, but they were supposed to be outliers and outcasts. And BECMI still had them be Chaotic (BECMI like OD&D was unipolar on alignment).
>>
>>44870291
>wait, so is the Scout archetype for fighter just completely useless? all it does it "give" you things you already gain as a part of core fighter.
You get three extra skill proficiencies and a limited selection of superiority dice uses (basically parry, precision attack, and a survival skill bonus). Then you steal from the ranger for your ribbon. Battle Master is mechanically better than it, but Scout is still good enough that a fighter can cover most of the ranger niche outside of magic.

>>44870305
Right.
>>
>>44870291
Orcs have been able to be good aligned for an entire edition longer than they've been able to be played, per Word of Gygax, are redeemable per Word of Tolkien. "Always Chaotic Evil" pertaining to orcs is just a meme.
>>
File: Grumpy Owl.jpg (93 KB, 640x364) Image search: [Google]
Grumpy Owl.jpg
93 KB, 640x364
>>44869253
That's beautiful, anon. Making a note of that

>>44870098
Trust me, a well prepared wizard goes a long way towards helping the party out. Be creative with your illusions and you won't have too much trouble with battlefield control. You're the only one who can do a lot of the cool magic shit in the party, so pick spells based on that rather than trying to blow stuff up. Let everyone else do that, you focus on making sure they do it from the most advantageous position.
>>
>>44870364
The joke is that Orcs had to be added to most games that have them and are older than 1995. And 35-miles faggot had them as a base race he'll accept.
>>
>>44870338
Awesome, if you don't mind me asking is there a passage in any of the books that backs that up? I looked earlier and couldn't find anything
>>
>>44869823
I'm going to advocate for anything that abuses Rune Scribe's fire rune. I'm the guy from a few recent threads talking about how good it is; Rogue (Arcane Trickster)/Rune Scribe is just great. The Rune Scribe helps make up your spell slot deficiency and assuming you can have your GM allow it, you've got not just high damage potential but highly reliable damage because of the reroll-keep-highest.
>>
>>44870294
Kobolds ain't got no humanity, and they need to be destroyed!
Each! And Every! Man under my command owes me ONE. HUNDRED. KOBOLD. SCALPS.
And I want my scalps.
>>
>>44870440
DMG 138-139.

>Most methods of identifying items, including the identify spell, fail to reveal such a curse

Though flaws aren't necessarily covered by that, I'd say they should be.
>>
>>44870324
you're thinking of half-orcs, not full-orcs.
full orcs are for krumpin gits.
>>
Any lore supplements in that mega? Couldn't really see much, and I'm a lore freak.
>>
>>44870507
hm? Half orcs are at least as old as 1978ish, full orcs as PCs were in 1987/1988, and were confirmed to be able to be good well before they were playable.
>>
>>44870482
Sweet, thanks!
I thought it seemed a bit too good to be true, still a nice spell though.
>>
Gonna be a bit odd, but how would a Paladin gain levels without seeing combat? Is it even possible? Relatively new to d&d, we're starting a few levels above 1.
>>
>>44870550
My DM awards experience (or levels when we do non-experience games) by what you do. Just because the players avoided an encounter doesn't mean they don't get XP from it.

Rogue persuaded his way into/outof a dangerous location? Give him some XP.
>>
>>44869302
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kwRdT7hibBP3IQb_A7rSPgPeh4af6cqE0KqgVSWP4sU/edit?usp=sharing

If any of you are interested in the first draft of the longer version.

I still have to haggle with the DM over setting specificity, but I already have most of the other players on my side since the DM was at work all day and unable to talk.
>>
>>44870550
Talked his way through fights
Intimidated his way through fights
Did courageous/helpful things comparable to fights
Found a ruby on day one and 1 gp a month later
>>
>>44870460
>LE Happy Gnome.gif
>>
>>44870453
Anon asked about playing a Pallock.

Not a Rogue. Not a sorcerer. Not a Rune Scribe.

Jesus, it's like you fucks don't even read.
>>
>>44870507
No half-orcs were 1e, as a playable race orcs at least in AD&D were in Complete Book of Humanoids for 2e.
>>
>>44866158
D&D 5 Spellbook
>>
>>44870338
>Precision Attack copypasta
>combo Evasive Footwork/Parry that doesn't last for the whole round and can't reduce damage to 0.
>1/2 a d8 to any ranger-y stuff for a superiority die.
no other options or things to gain while level up.

>3 additional skills from the list you already chose from, or thieves tools, instead of battlemaster's tool proficiency and Know your Enemy

>the useless ranger ribbon.

I'm not impressed.
Seems incredibly frontloaded as well.
>>
>>44870391

>a well prepared wizard goes a long way towards helping the party out.
Any specific tips? I don't normally even roll spellcasters. So playing this well has got me kind of nervous. Especially since we haven't even got a cleric or another spellcaster to fill in if I fall short
>>
I just bought a donkey.... with barding. Anyone have a good image for this?
>>
File: 1429150554876.jpg (947 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1429150554876.jpg
947 KB, 1920x1080
When players level up and gain resources such as spell slots or hit points, should they be "empty" or "full"? If the party reaches the next level at a point between combats but where resting is not an option, should they receive their new features and be ready to use them, such as casting a healing spell with the newly available spell slot? Should their current HP and hit dice increase, or just their maximum number?
>>
>>44867423
>>44867400

It doesn't have Mike Mearl's wrinkly ball sac smeared all over the cover so of course none of these faggots are going to use it, despite how much they bitch about the game and its developers.
>>
>>44871152
Also, if anyone has any ideas for a name, I'd love to hear them.
>>
>>44871155

I'm no expert but it seems to me, any advantage a level up gives should be delayed until the party logically would be able to "discover" their new abilities. Ie, a long rest at minimum, full downtime in a safe place is better.

I really don't like the "ding, you killed X baddies and now you know how to dodge better." I much prefer having a level up be represented as experience from the last trial. You don't even have to roleplay it, just not have them suddenly able to do new things because they killed some baddies.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.