[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D 5e General /5eG/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 070ec60.jpg (48 KB, 600x470) Image search: [Google]
070ec60.jpg
48 KB, 600x470
>Core rulebooks, adventure modules, Unearthed Arcana
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

Wild Magic sorcerers seem kind of shitty edition.
>>
If a shrine or church to a god is taken over by a cult of someone else, would that reduce the power of that god in the area?

I'm thinking of having the local temple of Umberlee being taken over by a cult to revive Iakhovas, who would need for the powers of Umberlee to be reduced in the area. Does that make sense?
>>
So have they just cancelled support for Greyhawk and Dragonlance and Eberron altogether?

>You'll play Forgotten Realms and you'll like it!
>>
>>44792595

Speaking from the position of a DM, I will give 2 possible answers depending on how I build a world:

1) Yes, the god's powers are directly proportional to how much territory/worship it receives.

2) A god has a static amount of power as a god, usually set and unchangeable and related to their domain unless augmented by some maguffin etc.
>>
Would I be better off taking Eldritch Knight or fighter mutliclassing into a proper caster? which caster?
>>
>>44792901
I think they probably just chose FR for initial rollout of DMGuild. If anything, it gives them an excuse to chill on FR content and focus on the others while the community creates FR stuff.
>>
I am looking for input on building my character, specifically whether to multi class and into what.

My character is melee focused but I want them to have access to magic, specifically leaning towards cleric or paladin. However, my original thought was to play as a fighter because they've been a favorite of mine since 3ed.

Also, to further ruin myself I was thinking about doing fighter/2 rogue or something with 2 in rogue and fighter for Expertise, Cunning Action, and Combat Surge, but still wanting holy magic.

Help me /tg/ I'm hopelessly wanting to do too much in one character.
>>
>>44792901
They almost always mention Greyhawk, Eberron, Dark Sun, and Dragonlance in every book so we can only hope one day we will get books for them.
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 600x690) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 600x690
>>44792961
Common wisdom on this is you want to go ek/wizard (both int based casting)

I feel like EK is okay or dare I say pretty good but you're going to be casting shield and blur for most of your career as an EK.
>>
>>44792961
What kind of fighter/caster mix are you trying to do?

If you still want to be melee as your primary damage then eldritch keeps you on the extra attack train. Also gives access to some utility & damage spells like a wizard-lite.

If you're wanting to be a spell blade, as in a guy who can sit on the front line and sword and board while also shooting fireballs, then go sorcerer. HOWEVER if you do that you'll need a ton of sorcerer levels before you get any spells that make up for not attacking 3 times a turn, and your health won't be as good d6 hit die sucks.
>>
>>44792595
I'd add something else tangible to help drive it home. Like maybe the cult has strung up a bunch of enchanted dragon kites that are keeping the air too calm for her to manifest storms, or maybe they're freezing the water so people can't offer her proper sacrifices, either way allowing them to explore the sea unmolested.
>>
>Just sent DM my character backstory
>Got angry and told me to make another character

Anybody else have shitty DM's?
>>
>>44793109
What was your backstory?
>>
>>44793109
you can't just say shit like that and not tell your backstory.
Did the DM explain why he denied it?
>>
>>44792961

Depends what you want to do with it, but straight fighter (EK) is probably better.
>>
>>44793141
Okay I'll just paste it here.

Spaghetti was taken in by an ancient silver dragon named Bulwark. Kooskoos was not the only child taken in by Bulwark. This dragon scoured the world finding orphans of all kinds and bringing them to his fortress in the sky. He raised them as his own and they all loved him. Bulwark is kind beyond measure and never refused a child. His adopted children measured in the hundreds. From intelligent humanoids to forest critters. He has a twisted sense of humor as The Great Silver Shield named all of his adopted children after foreign foods.
One day a portal to hell opened in Bulwarks floating fortress and a legion of demons flooded through. He was able to defend against this incursion with the help of powerful blessings from his god Bahaumat but was only able to destroy the demons physical bodies. In the end, Bulwark used his own body as a cage for the demonic horde. He allowed the demons to enter his body in order to keep them from doing the same to his children.
Before the horde of demons could take control of Bulwark completely, he sent his children away and sealed himself behind a powerful wall of force. Spaghetti hid while all her siblings departed. She did not want to leave her adopted father at the mercy of these evil beasts. After everyone had left, she made her way to her father. Sadly what she found was not The Great Silver Shield. It was an evil, malicious twisted creature. Having no way to help her father directly, Spaghetti made a pact with this legion of demons that now resides in Bulwarks body. In exchange for her help, they would release their grip on Bulwarks soul and give her a fraction of their infernal power.
Spaghetti now travels the world searching for her adopted siblings and a way to save her father from Legion.
>>
>>44792914
That makes sense.

I'm starting a one-shot adventure for my friends that involves Umberlee, and I want some background stuff going on like that. I've read that having an ultimate final battle planned makes for better campaign building, and if we decide to turn it into a campaign I want somewhere to go.

Fighting a Scion of one of Umberlee's oldest enemies seems appropriate for a final battle. Or maybe even just a weak version of Iakhovas.
>>
>>44792961
What are you aiming for with this? What do you intend to do with the majority of your turns? What sort of spells are you looking for?

Depending on your intention, you could go for anything from a Dex/Int Eldritch Knight/Bladesinger, to a Str/Cha Battle Master/Dragon Sorcerer, to a Dex/Cha Fighter/Warlock which uses Agonizing Blast with Close Quarters Shooter, to a fucking Monk/Druid if you wanted to.
>>
>>44793174
Honestly if I was your DM, I'd just ask you to come up with a different silly naming convention for the dragon's adopted kids and call it good. Rescuing a dragon taken over by Legion who also happens to be your character's adopted father sounds like an adventure hook and a half that could definitely turn into its own campaign.
>>
>>44793174

I mean....I feel like why someone might hate it right off the bat is because of the funny names. The last part, about how Spaghetti gets their powers seemed a bit off but otherwise it seemed fine.

As a DM I'd love the character arc of having adopted siblings to throw into my game world and really pull on the PCs.
>>
about the Arcane trickster:
I got really hyped about making one, but now I'm sitting here unable to decide jack about the spells/cantrips I'll get once I hit level 3 (which will be in the next two sessions, hopefully)
Any suggestions?

In addition, is AT or a different Rogue archetype better for low level play?
The DM is really sparse with giving experience outside combat, im fairly certain I wont make it to a high level with this character.
>>
>>44793068
Oh I see, that's a good idea!

Perhaps they've expanded the temple and some of the iconography is a little... Off. Oh, and maybe I could turn it into a one-shot where the adventurers have to be at a fund-raising event for [some reason] and it turns out it's a fund raiser for the cult that's taken over Umberlee's temple.
>>
>>44793174
>Spaghetti
Most people would have stopped there
>Kooskoos
Literally who?
>One day a portal to hell opened
A bit random but okay
>Bahaumat
>Spaghetti made a pact with this legion of demons that now resides in
what
>In exchange for her help, they would release their grip on Bulwarks soul and give her a fraction of their infernal power
why would they do this

Other then that it's not the worst backstory ever.

Also
>portal to hell
>demons came out
>not devils
>>
>>44793346
Cultist bakesale! Getch'er heretical brownies here! They're sinfully delicious!
>>
File: Previous Adventures.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Previous Adventures.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44792574
I brought up this idea yesterday: Previous Adventurers, things your character did to get them from 1st level to whatever level the campaign starts at.

What does 5eG think so far? Any suggestions?
>>
>>44793174
Half of that revolves around another character from your own. Beyond that, the most I can glean is that she loves her adopted father, and she makes a note to negotiate infernal power from demons even when emotionally upset about the loss of her father.

For the scope of events that occurred in that story, we know almost nothing about how your character acts or feels or interacts with the world. How does she feel about her siblings, who she was raised alongside but abandoned her father in his time of need? How does she feel about her former parents, who seem to have abandoned her when she was young, maybe? Does she ever wonder what caused demons to spontaneously materialize in the middle of her fucking home?

Also, why the fuck is she called Spaghetti. Is this supposed to be the set-up for an elaborate pun?
>>
>>44792971
I started my char at level 3 paladin and proceeded to take a few levels into fighter as my character progressed. It's been pretty nice having access to magic, but also being able to crit at 19.
>>
>>44793403
I mean, it'd be a little suspicious for the church of Umberlee to be holding a fundraiser in general. They're supposed to be super secretive.
>>
Why do you apply dexterity modifiers to damage rolls?

The only things that even make sense is strength for melee and bow damage rolls, and adding your constitution modifier to blowgun damage. You can't make a crossbow bolt fly faster by shooting more "dextrously".
>>
File: 1452830631848.png (2 MB, 2920x2124) Image search: [Google]
1452830631848.png
2 MB, 2920x2124
Reposting from the last thread.

How would I go about starting a small mercenary faction/stronghold ala Band of the Hawk or Militaires sans Frontieres?

Pic vaguely related.
>>
File: into-the-trash-it-goes.png (161 KB, 350x227) Image search: [Google]
into-the-trash-it-goes.png
161 KB, 350x227
>>44793174
>Spaghetti
Stopped there
>>
>>44793484
"Well, it's not like we're offering the recipe, and in fact we'll totally kill you and your family unto the third generation if you try and find it out.

"BUT the temple's a little low on funds right now..."
>>
>>44793494
Dexterity is hand-eye coordination, so it could be said that you're better at hitting weak points in armor and thus dealing more damage.

It could also be said to be a balancing factor to ensure that DEX-based fighters are just as good as STR-based fighters.

Your choice.
>>
>>44793494
>adding con mod to blowguns

What the actual fuck?
>>
>>44792901
I'm pretty sure the reason the guild is FR only is because Wizards doesn't want to deal with lore contradictions when they publish other settings.

Which is to say, they don't have the balls to just take a stand and say "we reserve the right to label anything you put out through the guild as contradictory."
>>
>>44793572
I'm guessing they mean that at a high constitution you can breathe really well?
>>
Is Sigil supposed to be a hollow ring where the city is inside and looking up you see more city or is it a solid ring where if you look up you see the sky the spire and past that the other side of the city?
>>
>>44793494
>adding your constitution modifier to blowgun damage
Explosive muscular motion, even with the diaphragm, falls under Strength, not Constitution, which governs endurance for prolonged strenuous activity.

>You can't make a crossbow bolt fly faster by shooting more "dextrously".
No, but you can stab at joints and other weakspots with a dagger and any other finesse weapon. The same principle applies to ranged weapons, for which Strength only factors so much into the damage it deals through armor.
>>
>>44793572
He's saying that your ability with a blowgun is proportional to your ability to put breath through it.

He's a lot like the "bows should be an str weapon because muh draw weight:" not wrong, just an asshole.
>>
>>44793494
Because forcing ranged characters to be MAD was lame as fuck. Same reason that casters get to use their casting stat for to-hit.
>>
>>44792595
>>44793176
According to the old rules from previous editions, deities can see events within a certain radius of their places of worship, so a deity who recently lost a temple in the area would be fighting blind, so to speak.
>>
>>44793420
good idea
>>
File: image.jpg (214 KB, 749x937) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214 KB, 749x937
>>44793288
AT probably is best at low levels or very high levels.

Mage hand let's them disarm traps with low risk of getting their hand caught or whatever.

The spells they learn are pretty utilitarian.

Mid levels they lag a bit, and I'm not really a fan of their class abilities outside of expanded Mage hand.

But they're good. Probably abstractly the best rogue archetype but the rogue class is so good and has so many good archetypes that it's hard to say. Magic just expands what they can do a lot, though it's a team game and the rogues the one who's going to get greased up anyway for whatever dumb heist the pcs have to pull off.

Low levels I think the immediacy of getting a bunch of spells really expands the class.

I'm currently playing a thief and our low level archetype abilities kind of suck. Climbing and jumping is useful, but really only as useful as I can make it for the whole party so idk.

I wouldn't bother with any damaging spells except maybe shocking grasp to escape but even then idk.

Fireball when you hit twelve or whatever could be useful too but you said you doubt you'll make it to that point.
>>
>>44793748
One more thing.

Provided your party has casters, you want to take spells they wouldn't otherwise take. Just take situational stuff so you can continue being the party multi tool and let the casters focus on the flashy stuff. That's the beauty of it, you become the auxiliary spell list for all things rogue like, you don't become the second wizard.

Well you could if you want but this being a team game idk that you'll need that.
>>
>>44793288
AT is good at low levels and drops off fairly quickly. Thief is best at high levels but sucks at low and medium levels. Assassins and swashbucklers are okay throughout, and masterminds are okay but situational.

For AT spells, Minor Illusion is fun for conjuring things to hide behind (or inside, if you're Small sized.) GFB works fine for rogues because they don't get multiple attacks anyway. You want to avoid too many spells that involve attack rolls or save DCs because you don't want to suffer too much from MAD. That's why Sleep and Magic Missile are good, and illusion spells that only require checks to disbelieve if someone is actively inspecting them can be good. Shield can be good, but it burns through your spell slots pretty quickly.
>>
>>44793696
This is useful information! Thanks!
>>
File: 5789666_orig.png (249 KB, 450x369) Image search: [Google]
5789666_orig.png
249 KB, 450x369
Have any of you tried or seen a halfling or gnome ranger with a mastiff companion/mount? I'm thinking of trying it out, but I'm wondering whether to take STR or DEX. Basically dual wielding or ranged. Since I'd be on the mastiff, I would assume STR, but I dunno...

Thoughts?
>>
>>44793748
>I wouldn't bother with any damaging spells except maybe shocking grasp to escape but even then idk.
Not even Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade?

>I'm currently playing a thief and our low level archetype abilities kind of suck.
They do, but have you tried asking your DM if you can Use an Object with caltrops, ball bearings, hunting traps, acid or alchemist's fire using your bonus action? Caltrops, ball bearings and hunting traps basically let you perform minor control. And if you actually get to chuck acid or alchemist's fire, take Tavern Brawler and shit out damage forever until your DM starts regretting and takes back his words.
>>
>>44794008
You'd be better off not being a ranger. For real, you could just be a fighter and buy a mastiff, and then it would be able to use all of its attacks the same turn as you. Or be a paladin and summon an amazing celestial riding dog from Celestia. Because all riding dogs go to heaven.
>>
>>44794008
>Have any of you tried or seen a halfling or gnome ranger with a mastiff companion/mount?
No, never seen anybody try that before

Literally one of the most common combos for mounted combat.
>>
>>44794081
Thanks for contributing, and also of reading the second half of my post! You're the greatest.

>>44794063
Sort of assumes there's a place that sells them.
>>
>>44794008
Beastmaster rangers are generally pretty suboptimal, and I'd advise against playing one.

That said, between the two, I'd suggest you go for Dex, in case your DM rules that your mastiff needs to have enough strength to carry you and your equipment, in case you manage to get a flying companion later down the line should your dog die, and because halflings already get a bonus to Dex anyway.
>>
>>44794111
>Sort of assumes there's a place that sells them
Would your DM disallow you to use Animal Handling to tame a wild animal, if you come across or search for one?
>>
>>44794170
No, of course not... I'm just saying, that it'd be easier to get one for free.
>>
>>44794111
They're not magic items. They're just big dogs. You can buy one. In a world where a significant minority of races are too small to ride a horse, they'd be even more common.
>>
>>44794081
Literally do NOT even reply to me unless your contributing to the thread
>>
>>44794200
A place that sells dogs is completely different then a place that sells dogs bred and trained for riding.
Especially when they could just breed horses that can be used by everyone instead of dogs that can only be used by halflings and gnomes, which are out of the common races usually the rarest.
>>
>>44794196
If you went out into the woods and tamed one, it WOULD be free. And it would certainly be doable if your character lives in a setting with, you know, woods.

I was merely suggesting this as an alternative to purchasing a trained war dog, because sticking yourself into a disadvantageous class choice simply because you want a mount seems rather disingenuous to me.

Why not simply play a Paladin and use Find Steed instead?
>>
File: OURlxhj.gif (5 MB, 260x227) Image search: [Google]
OURlxhj.gif
5 MB, 260x227
>>44793828
>don't just be a copy of another class
>party has a sorcerer and a cleric
>pyromaniac and a healslut respectively
pretty sure I'm good on that aspect, with only being able to take enchantments and illusions.

>>44793830
>GFB
what's that?

Thanks for the advice though.
I did kinda tell that most rogues suffer through mid level stuff, good to know it's not just me thinking that.
Thanks for the help, especially about spell choice.
I was thinking of the only damaging spell I choose to be a cantrip, something between poison spray, fire bolt, or acid splash. any one in particular better than the other two?
>>
>>44794282
But horses can't be used by everyone. Smaller races exist, and just like the party halfling was able to find halfling-sized clothes in this world, he should also be able to find a halfling-sized mount in cities large enough to respond to the market demand for them. And anyway, a dog that's already well-trained can probably be taught to carry a rider by someone proficient in animal handling without too much trouble.

Seriously, of all the equipment in the PHB to houserule as unavailable, you're going to ban dogs?
>>
>>44794370
Greenflame Blade. You hit a guy with a sword and some other guy gets hurt a little.

Do not take Poison Spray. Every monster and its mother is immune or resistant to poison. Acid Splash might be desirable in certain very specific situations (against trolls or swarms of tiny enemies,) but honestly an arcane trickster doesn't need damage cantrips.
>>
>>44794370
If you're a Rogue, you're not going to be wanting to use the usual damage cantrips, because you can't Sneak Attack on those. Use a crossbow - your Dex should be high enough.

Take either Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade from the SCAG if you're planning to be in melee - especially if you're not dipping into another class for Extra Attack.
>>
>>44792574

Wild sorcs ARE kind of shitty. "When the DM Feels Like It" is an awful trigger for a player ability, both for the player and the DM who surely has more to think about. Then there's the chance for the Level 1 Fireball TPK.
It's just not as fun as it sounds, in my experience.
>>
>>44794346
It's not disingenuous. I didn't really flesh out the character I was envisioning in my post. The mastiff would be more than a mount. He would be his faithful friend and battle-mate, fighting the hoards of filthy Gnoll abominations.
>>
What's your current plot, 5eg?

My party is currently chasing down a mercenary who stole the (supposed) recipe for the Philosopher's Stone, but we think the alchemist who sent us after it is lying. The dwarf is insisting that if we find it, he gets to use it to brew the "mead of philosophy".
>>
>>44794430
>But horses can't be used by everyone
What playable race can't use horses?
>just like the party halfling was able to find halfling-sized clothes in this world
Yes, and child sized clothes exist in our world too. Making smaller clothes is much easier then training an animal to be a combat mount.
>Seriously, of all the equipment in the PHB to houserule as unavailable, you're going to ban dogs?
I never said that, I'm just saying finding a place that sells riding dogs would be extremely difficult unless in some large capitol city or place where the majority of people are small.
>>
>>44794562
Do as you wish, I suppose. We're just trying to give you alternatives to one of the only suboptimal class choices in the book, but it's fine as long as you're having fun.

Though, I'd just like to point out:
>You summon a spirit that assumes the form of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed, creating a long-lasting bond with it.
>Additionally, if your steed has an Intelligence of 5 or less, its Intelligence becomes 6, and it gains the ability to understand one language of your choice that you speak.
>Your steed serves you as a mount, both in combat and out, and you have an instinctive bond with it that allows you to fight as a seamless unit.
Paladins get this as a 2nd level spell.
>>
>>44794503
>>44794482
>both from scag
oh, I haven't read that yet, forgot it's in the OP already.
I don't think my DM has either, the FLGS we play at is kind of sparce, being in the middle of nowhere.
Also right, forgot about no sneak attack on spells. I need to get my hands on a crossbow I guess.

>>44792574
like >>44794509 said, wild sorcs are-shitty
I now have had two dm's that both trigger it almost -every- time a Wild magic sorcerer cast a spell
>>
>>44794664
Thanks. I appreciate your help. I just don't envision the character as a paladin.
>>
Do you guys tend to voice act your characters? If so, what's your general palette of voices/accents?

If not, how do you compensate?
>>
>>44794743
Every voice is cockney british
>>
>>44794714
Well, you could also grab it as a Bard, but that's besides the point.

Simply remember that, just because someone's lived out in the wild for a while doesn't mean they're necessarily a ranger. Rangers explicitly specialize in navigating certain types of terrain and hunting certain types of game.

Someone who's simply experienced with jungle survival or who was raised in a nomadic tribe could easily be a character with the Outlander background. And something you spend your starting gold on could be something you inherited, or crafted yourself, instead of something you explicitly bought with gold.
>>
>>44794509
The thing that upsets me is how shitty it is compared to the dragonblood origin. Like you gain a bunch of armor, a bunch of utility, and you get cool dragon stuff versus "oh random stuff happens rarely and a lot of it hurts you." Most of the effects are just boring too! Oh? I grew two inches? Sweet? Oh, it smells like chocolate now? Uh, OK.

The problem for me is that I'm trying to teach my boyfriend how to play and he is insisting on playing a Wild Magic Sorcerer. I've tried to explain to him that it's really garbage. But he is insisting. So I'm in this shitty position.
>>
>>44794795
Yeah, that was the whole point. He was a Gnoll hunter. How do bards get access?
>>
File: 1293509494921.jpg (17 KB, 477x361) Image search: [Google]
1293509494921.jpg
17 KB, 477x361
>>44794743
My ratio of terrible yugioh dub style brooklyn accent and character seediness is 1:1.
>>
>>44794811
Are you DMing? Pitch encounters towards his optimization level. Are you playing? Sit down and build your characters together, and try to set things up so he gets to be awesome.

Don't be too upset if your characters get blown up. The important thing is you and him have fun.
>>
>>44794811
Is this the same guy that wanted to play solo to get a feel for the game first?
Ask him what his reason for wanting to play that archetype is. If he wants to just because "lolrandom" then tell him to play one of the other types and when he rolls a 1 or 20 he can roll on the table or something similar to that.
>>
>>44794845
Fair enough, then.

And Bards can cherry-pick spells in general via Magical Secrets. Earliest possible level would be 6th via Lore Bard.
>>
>>44794696

> now have had two dm's that both trigger it almost -every- time a Wild magic sorcerer cast a spell

I'm in the opposite boat. I'm level 3 and my DM had me roll once, and I didn't roll a 1 so nothing happened. So basically it's like my origin doesn't exist at all.
>>
>>44792961
I've discovered that Eldritch Knight/Warlock can be pretty cool, since the warlock's pact spell slots adds on top of the multiclassing spell slot list, and the spells that can be used in that slot can be non-warlock if you multi-class, so that allows for a lot more spell spamming from the EK. only thing you need to keep in mind is that you should take spells that don't require saves for the warlock (such as hex, beautiful spell that one), assuming you're just dipping into warlock for three levels or so, and as such don't have an amazing charisma.
>>
File: 1433343769477.jpg (9 KB, 302x225) Image search: [Google]
1433343769477.jpg
9 KB, 302x225
>>44794925
oh, no. you misunderstood me.
it's worse than that.
The both dms ignore the rolling on a D20 and needing a one.
it's straight up
"roll on the wild magic table"
Every
Single
Spell
the sorc is somehow ok with this.
I stay as far away from the sorcerer as much as humanly possible while remaining in range of being able to help/be helped if something springs up.
>>
>>44794876
I'm DMing. My problem is that if he has a wild thing happen, it either hurts him, is broken as fuck, or has no "real" effect. None of those options seem particularly appealing. Like why, under any circumstances, would I allow him to fireball himself? Oh, you rolled 19 or whatever so you all die.

And the rate at which it triggers seems strange. If it happens too often then it loses its charm. If it doesn't happen enough then why even bother with it?

>>44794908
>>44794925
He's doing a solo campaign and also playing a game with two of our mutual friends. He really likes playing but fucking HATES the bookkeeping aspect of the game. So when I was helping him make his character, he just picked wild Magic arbitrarily and is sticking with it because now he's made up his mind.
>>
>>44794993
Is it really that bad? I've considered doing that just because most wild magic things seem rather inconsequential. How often does it fuck you over?
>>
>>44794993
You should probably explain to them that unless he just became a sorc right before you started the campaign, there is no way he could have survived this long without getting hit by fireball.
>>
>>44794965
>since the warlock's pact spell slots adds on top of the multiclassing spell slot list
This isn't the case, but the rest of your points are at least somewhat valid.

I don't see dipping into Warlock purely for the spell slots as that worthwhile, though. You're basically throwing away 3 levels you could have been using to advance your Fighter progression. Why not have Fighter as the dip for utility spells to cast from the Wizard list while spamming Eldritch Blasts instead?
>>
>>44794811

I generally dislike the draconic origin for anyone except a dragonborn sorc, but storm sorc is an option. Wild Magic is pretty meh, sure, but they're still sorcs, so they still get access to twinned haste which is always ridiculous. Let him go wild magic, it's not like he's going beastmaster or anything.
>>
>>44795055
>He really likes playing but fucking HATES the bookkeeping
>he just picked wild Magic arbitrarily
What are the chances he would even notice if you wrote down another archetype and told him "this is wild magic sorcerer, here you go!".
>>
>>44794743
I'm pretty decent with accents, and I like languages so I always try to give accents to my NPCs. I actually have a list of languages/accents that I use for each of the common D&D languages:

- Abyssal: Tolkienesque black speech.
- Aquan: Hawaiian
- Auran: Basque
- Celestial: Hindi
- Common: American English
- Draconic: Sumerian
- Druidic: Irish Gaelic
- Dwarven: Icelandic
- Elven: Sindarin
- Genie: Arabic
- Giant: German
- Goblin: Spanish (Latin American for goblins and bugbears; Castillian/Old World Spanish for hobgoblins)
- Gnoll: Hyena and dog barking sounds
- Gnome: Dutch
- Halfling; Esperanto, usually with a French accent.
- Ignan: Japanese
- Infernal: Latin (Church Latin rather than proper pronunciation)
- Orc: Klingon
- Sphinx: Ancient Egyptian
- Sylvan: Welsh
- Terran: Greek
- Undercommon: Lovecraftian Cthulhu-speak
>>
>>44795055
If it's a solo campaign, and he's the only player, go ahead and fudge dice rolls. Create effects which are narratively entertaining. Inadvertently one-shot major enemies. Fireball allies by mistake to force character development. Accidentally send mountains into orbit, only to come crashing down later at a dramatic moment, thus saving the day.

You're in control. Make his character fun for him to play.

For the group game, though, sit down with him and tell him to try not to fuck shit up for everyone, because everyone else is there to have fun just as much as he is.
>>
>>44795058
you can cast confusion or fireball centered on yourself, turn into a potted plant, gain vunerability to piercing dmage, deal 1d10 necrotic damge to everything within 30 feet of you, turn into a sheep, become unable to speak, and a bunch of other bad effects.
really the most dangerous thing is fireball, but that's a 100% TPK if i'm only level 2 and they're level 1. I mean, maybe the barbarian will survive if the spell get's rolled badly enough.
>>44795072
we're level 1-2.
he basically just started being a sorcerer, yes.
>>
>>44795138
How do you go about learning accents anyway?
>>
>>44795177
>Implying turning into a sheep is a bad thing.

>>44795181
Youtube
>>
>>44794111
>>44794234
> Butthurt tripshit thinks he deserves special consideration; more at 11.

Also, obvious samefag.
>>
>>44795181
Same way a Druid learns to wild shape; observe the accent, and mimic it.

If you think you sound unconvincing, just remember, if the accent isn't noticeably bad, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>44795147
Yeah. I guess I can just have him roll the wild Magic die and I roll the effects die. I can fudge it if it would likely result in a tpk.

>>44795099
Where is the info for storm sorcerers?
>>
>>44795177
Ahh right, I forgot about the shittier spell-on-self effects.

I've personally toyed with the idea that the more negative the effect the extra bonus you get to the spell that caused it (or some such).
>>
>>44795177
>we're level 1-2.
>he basically just started being a sorcerer, yes.
So he woke up one day with magic powers and ran off to join an adventuring party?
Being a level 1 character doesn't mean you just gained your abilities it just means you haven't killed enough stuff/ done enoug to get to level 2.
A lvl 1 fighter may have been a town guard for 15 years. A lvl 1 wizard may have studied magic for decades before venturing off to put it to practical use.
>>
>>44795297

UA waterborne adventures
>>
>>44795297

Storm Sorcerer was originally printed in an Unearthed Arcana article, and then finalized in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. I really like it, but speaking strictly power wise, the draconic origin is almost certainly stronger.
>>
>>44795181
YouTube, movies, stereotypes...
>>
>>44795339
I'm not worried about powerlevel. I just don't want my boyfriend blowing himself up at random. I'll look it up. The SCAG is appropriate anyways since the adventure will be in Baldur's Gate.
>>
So, OotA npc train... I've already gotten the gambling deep gnome and surely orc killed in the first session during our escape.

Who should go next? I'm bros with the Quaggoth that thinks he's an elf, but I could give a fuck less about the rest of them (they take up a valuable Goodberry I could be saving to heal in a pinch).
>>
>>44795308
I can't recall his exact backstory, but still yes.
he basically had a cross world teleport as coming into his powers or something.
so, becoming an adventurer, he really doesn't have a choice in the matter.
>>
>>44792914
I like the thieves world type gods.
>living in their own paradise
>immortal
>don't need worshipping
>however have no direct link to world
>uses followers to see what's happening
>if forgotten , they just forget about the world and waste their time in their heaven

Their following is their "link", to the world.
They don't need it.
>>
>>44795075
You're right, I didn't realize that the warlock was omitted from affecting the multiclass spell slot table.
This makes the combo a hell of a lot less potent than when I initially thought of this,
Thanks a ton for pointing it out though, wouldn't have caught that otherwise.
>>
>>44795415
>letting Jimjar die
Campaign ruined. Forge on and hope you get the "go back in time" option at the Mechanus machine thing.
>>
>>44795415
Are you trying to kill these NPCs on purpose? Do you have a reason for that?
Either way the most expendable one next would be the dwarf as the rest have interesting twists later on.
also Jimjar
"dead"
LOL
>>
>>44795519

Not that guy, but I've thought about making a Warlock/EK combo before myself. I kind of like the EK's War Magic ability with either Eldritch Blast or Greenflame Blade.
>>
So is there anyway I can play a Strength based unarmed character in 5e or am I stuck being a dex-fag?
>>
>>44795721
Take Tavern Brawler and be stuck with your d4 damage die forever.
>>
>>44795721
Minotaur. Grapple-focused Tavern Brawler build. Something optimized around Shocking Grasp.

You could also play a Strength-primary Monk if you had the stats, I suppose.
>>
>>44795721

I'm currently running a dwarven battlerager tavern brawler. Haven't really got a chance to use the spiked armor yet, so I can't speak to how effective it is yet.
>>
>>44795721
You can take tavern brawler for a d4 unarmed strike. It doesn't improve.

You theoretically don't have to use Dex for martial arts damage progression, but you're using Dex for everything else, so...
>>
>>44795786
>Minotaur
Horns are a weapon attack.
>>
>>44795853
So are fists. You're attacking with a part of your own body, possibly with your hands empty, regardless of what the mechanics say.
>>
>>44795721
I mean a Monk is fine with high strength, the Dex replacement is optional...

It could be done. Maybe a Monk/Fighter mix?
>>
>>44795935
Problem is that Martial Arts requires you to be unarmored, so not having Dex AND Wis in addition to the Str he wants will hurt his AC. Additionally, dipping into another class will hurt his Ki and damage die progressions.
>>
>>44795882
I get that you want to be right, but shut up:

If a mechanic refers to an unarmed strike, it's referring to an unarmed strike. Horns are specifically not one.
>>
>>44796020
Horns are an unarmed strike
>>
>>44796060
> didn't read the UA.
Literally the first four words of the feature.
>>
>>44795721
Grapple bard
>>
>>44796020
Mechanically so, but it's hardly out of the question for a character who is unarmed fluff-wise to be attacking with natural attacks.
>>
File: 1452702931485.png (217 KB, 307x473) Image search: [Google]
1452702931485.png
217 KB, 307x473
Guys i wanna make a sith lord inspired character(evil party).
I was thinking of going some kind of bladesinger/EK comb, so i can be able to slash shit and then go full "UNLIMITED POWAH" on my enemies asses.

Any suggestions or ideas?
>>
>>44792574
Going to multiclass Undying light warlock with GFB.
Looking for a monk build.
Also variant human so looking what extra feat i should pick.
Does the damage boost apply to the fire spells of the wot4e monk?
>>
>>44795236

Hello reddit
>>
>>44796110
It's more about, say, if a feature lets you make an unarmed strike as a bonus action.

It's the difference between a bonus d4 and a d10 at first level.
>>
>>44795415
>He killed Jimjar

Holy shit kill yourself.
>>
>>44792971
It sounds like you just want to play a Bard.
>>
>>44796178
Okay. Bear in mind that you can't get bonus action attacks from Monk after Greenflame Blade because you're not using the Attack action.
Standard Way of Shadows Monk with 2 level dip for Devil's Sight.
Elemental Adept (Fire), Resilient (Wisdom) or Mobile.
Yes, but only if it's specifically stated to be a spell. For instance, it would not apply to Fangs of the Fire Snake.
>>
>>44796132
This is just another "how do I gish" post. To reiterate, there are like seven different options for building gishes, and some of them are even not that bad. But the problem you run into with all of them is that you're going for breadth at the expense of depth. That is, you're giving yourself somewhat redundant options rather than taking one option and making it better. EKs can sling spells, but not as well as they swing swords. Bladesingers can swing swords, but nowhere near as well as they sling spells. And some kind of multiclass that does both with exactly equal strength will be weaker than a specialist in either.

Honestly, just worry about the roleplaying aspect and play whatever. You could be an oathbreaker paladin or a death cleric dedicated to the ideal of passion and anger and it'd work just fine.
>>
>>44796187
>samefags, demands substantive discussion from a community infamous for unsubstantive bullshit
>gets called on it
>gets mad
>blames reddit
Ayyy
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-15+at+05.08.27).jpg (212 KB, 1497x458) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-15+at+05.08.27).jpg
212 KB, 1497x458
as a GM do you ever run an oldschool module and secretly hope the players don't run into a particular room because it's insanely deadly?

for me it's K84 Ravenloft, the Catacombs with 15 (FIFTEEN) fucking wights. I'm lowering their HP but as a CR of 3, 15 kind of feels overwhelming
>>
GMs, how do you handle random encounters?

I've had a GM who would ask players to pick high or low, then roll a d100. If they guessed right, they went unmolested, if they guessed wrong, they dealt with some baddies; if they guessed wrong and the d100 was on doubles, something strange would happen. Things to the tune of cats being chased by dogs, drunks stumbling into the party, that sort of thing.

Are there better ways of handling this? Where do you get inspiration for your random encounters that go beyond "goblins appear, roll initiative."
>>
>>44796818

I'm doing my first DM, Princes of the Apocalypse, and I have, so far, ran it as the book suggests: 1d20, on an 18 or above, roll on the random encounter table. I did that and my party has gone six days without a random encounter, and I think that's kinda bland. I'm gonna think of some way to adjust it...maybe lower the threshold after every miss.
>>
>>44796925
>maybe lower the threshold after every miss.
I do this. Otherwise it ends up being pretty infrequent.
>>
>>44793420
Funny
>>
>>44796538
>>44796187
>>44795236

Virt is a spreading disease.
>>
>>44796925
I like to base random encounters on how shitty the party leader's Survival check is.

And even if you don't want to fudge the random encounter rolls, you could have them encounter something benign instead of nothing at all. Could be some friendly locals, some weird wildlife that does not try to attack and eat them, or a scenic vista or magical location.
>>
>>44796421
I'm not disagreeing with (also I'm not who you responded to) but I think this position is a little over uh weighed online.

9/10 of the time you don't want to cast spells or need to cast spells, and being capable (2 attacks) to just hit someone for some damage and keep up one enchantment for a combat is good enough.

It might be because my party has no real casters (moon Druid and a paladin that's it), but in my experience it's good to have spells for specific instances, and cantrips are amazingly useful for utility, but just a caster getting two attacks and this being able to save spells a bit more for specific instances is a god send.

I agree with everything you wrote just want to throw that out there. Breadth for Gish characters also amounts to increased capacity to save spells for the right moment, which can be its own form of depth.

Last campaign with the same people I was a paladin cleric and I had so many tricks up my sleeve that it was really nice just to lean on guidance 9/10ths of the time and just save slots for clutch smites, bless, or healing.
>>
>>44792574
What would you add to a Genie origin sorcerer?

>each genie type has to be different
>lots of flavor
>no matter what you do it will be shit
>my first impression cant be bad
>>
>>44797164

I would just refluff the draconic origin.
>>
The best way to DM a wild mage is to roll when they want to get their advantage back.

So they want advantage on that firebolt? Roll
>>
>>44797164
I kinda don't want to help you because I am greedy. DAMN YOU WIZARDS
>>
>>44795578
>>44796250
I got him killed. As in, we were cleaning a hallway and I bet him the gold coin he gave me that he wouldn't fuck with one of the spiders while the guards watched.

I pocketed enough material components to cast silence on myself in the ensuing chaos and snuck away to later spring the rest of everyone else. Singlehandedly.

We found Jimjar's body strung up in a web with half his face melted off as we made our escape. I left him the gold coin. I only wish that I had another for the ferryman.

Kind of sad about it in character. Out of character I needed a destraction. Meh.

Orc killed himself rushing the high priestess when i pointed her out to him. One less mouth to feed I guess.
>>
>>44795579
Nah. It wasn't intentional. I needed a distraction and I thought they were just going to rough him up a bit.
>>
>>44797469
You sound like a huge that guy
>>
File: nothing personnel kid.png (21 KB, 780x770) Image search: [Google]
nothing personnel kid.png
21 KB, 780x770
>>44797469
>Out of character I needed a destraction. Meh.
>>
>>44797519
Hey, that prison wasn't going to spring itself!

You're probably right though. My DM hates what I do in these premade mods
>>
>>44797372
Just like a Dao.....
I see.
>>
>>44797648
>Dao
>Greedy
>wont help other unless he gains something out of it
Someones been doing his homework and reading the books.
Kudos.
>>
>>44797164
I can already tell I hate it and I will find it overpower at some levels and the 18th level trait underpower.
>>
>>44797469
Ront is the most boring prisoner in OOTA and it might even turn out more interesting later now that Jimjar is gone. Eldath and Shusharr are the only other ones that don't really have any wacky traits that pop up later so if you need to be a dick and let others die so you can escape choose them.
>>
>>44797672
That was fast.
>>
File: grognard1.png (43 KB, 1831x285) Image search: [Google]
grognard1.png
43 KB, 1831x285
>>44797469
1/2
>>
File: grognard2.png (352 KB, 1877x1164) Image search: [Google]
grognard2.png
352 KB, 1877x1164
>>44797792
2/2
>>
>>44797893
>>44797792

>Fake prtscr bait
>Actually saving it
>>
>>44797920
>wow take it easy you butthurt reddit guy
>actually doing stuff
>current year
>>
>>44792901
Do people actually play with premade settings?
>>
>>44798236
No the hundreds of setting books are just released as inspiration.
>>
>>44798236
our dm is doing i think kind of a mix of hotdq and pota, so our campaign has us in greenest right now and we are in the forgotten realms, but thats pretty... not important to the plot? i mean it could be anywhere, it just happens to be there. i don't think anyone in my party even knows anything about fr, i don't.
>>
>>44798418
They are technically set in FR but they have tips for changing them to whatever setting you want, usually just by changing the names of places and NPCs.
>>
>>44797920
>>44798225
all this salt is ruining this board.
>>
i will play 5th for the first time soon, only played a bit of ad&d before. Probly level 1 for the whole campaign.

I was thinking of rolling a human sorcerer fluffed as a guy who fancies himself an herbalist/alchemist. He has latent powers but mistakenly thinks that mixing shit together is causing the effects. I want to have other players not be sure of my character crunchwise, and get into binds where i can say, quick, toss me that pebble, no! The brownish one, yes that looks to have a bit of iron in it, now if i mix it with this old grass....then some magic comes out.

Thoughts? Any ideas of where to take this? So far im generally thinking dr farnsworth crossed with the some of the more eccentric skyrim wizards for voice/mannerisms
>>
>>44799162
>I was thinking of rolling a human sorcerer fluffed as a guy who fancies himself an herbalist/alchemist. He has latent powers but mistakenly thinks that mixing shit together is causing the effects.

I have never seen a character with "misunderstands the source of his power" as a concept that I didn't hate. Note, however, that the idea of a herbalist/alchemy centric sorcerer on its own does sound cool.

>I want to have other players not be sure of my character crunchwise,
Please no.

>and get into binds where i can say, quick, toss me that pebble, no! The brownish one, yes that looks to have a bit of iron in it, now if i mix it with this old grass....then some magic comes out.
With the above statements in mind, here is how I would rewrite this concept, if it was me:

>Human sorcerer, hermit used to living off the land, worships or venerates nature, that sort of thing
>insists on using painfully specific combinations of natural objects (plants, pebbles, whatever) as magical foci
>everyone knows it's completely unnecessary but needs to go along with it if they want any magic
>>
>>44796217
What class feature could possibly let you do that if you aren't playing monk? The class that solves this dilemma all by itself, though being a strength monk would be a very MAD build.

You would be a character fighting unarmed (in the literal sense of the word, with no weapons). Which is all the original poster said that they wanted.
>>
>>44799303
I don't know, he would have to think some pretty weird shit if he didn't believe it was him doing the actual magic. Namely, if its just gathering ingredients, why can't he be casting spells forever?(like, iron pebble with old grass= burning hands, but why can he only do that 4 times in a 24 hour period? etc).

Seems like it would fall apart as a concept after like literally the first adventuring day.
>>
>>44799473
I'm not saying that he believes he isn't magical, on the contrary, I'm saying that's the part I don't like.

Instead, what I do like, is the idea of a sorcerer who insists upon using natural ingredients as spell components, despite being capable- yet unwilling- of casting the spell normally.

Not that he believes the magic comes out of the natural items, simply that he insists upon using them.
>>
>>44799162
>Probly level 1 for the whole campaign.
This sounds awful
>>
>>44799162

component pouch or quit that game because level 1 is fucking boring
>>
>>44799162
You can still have "we're not that strong yet/we're new to adventuring" campaigns that are permanent level five or six. Level one is... It's not as interesting. Too easy to die accidentally and way fewer options for gameplay.

Also the enemy pool is really small at that level.
>>
>>44799701
>vegan caster

is this my character?
>>
>My DMs Guild hoard has nearly reached a thousand pennies
So this is what it's like to be a dragon.
>>
>>44799946

lel, I never thought of imposing a dumb character trait to spellcasting etc like that before.

>wizard hates the color blue
>won't cast any spell that has a blue visual or material component
>>
question

the fonts in the homebrew kit (the phb ones)

can they be used to dmg content legally?
>>
File: Wotc_Fonts1.jpg (337 KB, 1076x690) Image search: [Google]
Wotc_Fonts1.jpg
337 KB, 1076x690
>>44800112
http://rpg.brainclouds.net/2014/11/24/the-fonts-of-dd-5th-edition/
>>
>>44800112
http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/
>>
>>44800180
thankyou anon

now to search for new fonts
>>
A powerful demon disguised as an old man has a problem with an anti-paladin and his followers. Why would he call upon the help of a party?
>>
>>44800266
Maybe they possess something hugely powerful, but only against him?
>>
>>44799701
Meant to reference the poster above you, clicked on the wrong post, I agree with you.
>>
>>44800266
It's the perfect part of his disguise. No one questions people who go to adventurers for help. His only other realistic options offer far too great a chance of revealing his deception...

...and his disguise has a far greater purpose than just avoiding the anti-paladin.
>>
>>44800266
Classic misdirection, I would guess. Especially if the demon is more powerful than the party, having them cause a ruckus and stir shit up might let him go sneak in and steal the Anti-Paladins Shard of Darkness so he can gain control of his Deadites or whatever.
>>
>>44792574
Why cant I play as a former boxer who now runs a mystery team to solve mistries and explore dungeons?
>>
>>44800488
Because nobody can accept that swords do more damage then fists.
>>
File: 1451960420429.jpg (68 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1451960420429.jpg
68 KB, 680x680
>>44800488

Because meme characters always end up being boring.
>>
>>44800561

I dunno, my Sunday group has loved both of my meme characters so far. My Saturday group has not had such an appreciation for my meme paladin outside of being a meaty doorstop.
>>
Hey! DM wants to do an arctic vampire campaign, so we're trying to do an all paladin party with 5 people. I'm aware of Oath of Ancients, Oath of Vengeance, Oath of Devotion, Oath of the Crown, and Oathbreaker which is only for NPCs. Am I missing any that aren't third party? I'm thinking there's also Eldritch Knight as a paladin of a god of magic, and Cleric as paladin of a god of spell slots.
>>
My arcane trickster just hit level 7, what 2nd level spells should I learn?
If it's relevant, I've got 16 INT on this character, and the spells I've already got are Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Friends, Green Flame Blade, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Sleep, and Find Familiar.
>>
>>44800873

Maybe try Bloodhunter? Or have them multiclass?
>>
>>44801000
Is that the 3rd party witch hunter?
>>
In your worlds do you divide demons and devils, or do you just mix and match?
>>
>>44801193

Yes. It's been updated like three times since then.
>>
>>44800873
Oath of Love imo
>>
>>44801203
I do but that's mostly because of Planescape.
>>
So wait, can you put your own stuff up on dmsguild?

If so, I should probably do a professional-looking writeup and balance test of my thrown weapon archetypes homebrews.
>>
>>44800278
I can't imagine what that would be though. What could they have that the demon doesn't?

>>44800419
>>44800420
Do you think it's a good idea to eventually reveal the old man's identity to the players? How would you pull it off without it seeming forced?
>>
File: dmsg.png (78 KB, 302x234) Image search: [Google]
dmsg.png
78 KB, 302x234
God damnit, guys.
>>
>>44801590
What the hell is a blood hunter? Any non-hilarious answers I can think of would just call themselves a hunter
>>
>>44801237
Can't really do 3rd party, but thanks. We're all level 1, so multiclassing ain't really happening, but I guess we'll add battlemaster or champion with that spell novice feat (Can't remember the name)
>>
>>44801640
>Between the martial pursuits of a warrior, and the long-forgotten secrets of blood magic, lies a sect of hunters that sacrifice their own vitality and humanity to protect the realms. Through the tutelage of hidden orders, Blood Hunters learn to give their essence to harness the elements within their weapon, manipulate the lifeblood of others through blood curses, and allow themselves to become a part of what they hunt.

>Take the Order of the Ghostslayer, Blood Hunters honed to destroy the undead and all things that mock life. You could instead join the Order of the Profane Soul and make a pact with lesser evils to use wicked magic against the greater terrors that roam the land. You could even walk with the Order of the Mutant to harvest and imbibe the toxic remains of your quarry to mutate your body in powerful, yet dangerous, ways. This choice is yours while you traverse the path of the Blood Hunter.
>>
>>44801645

What about Ranger? Bard? Bladelock? Monk? Bladesinger?
>>
>>44801590
The shit made by a guy who is part of a popular podcast and got press for making stuff for Vin Diesel is the most popular on a site Wizards is pushing everywhere? Who would have thought.
>>
>>44801590

any reason gunslinger is a fighter archetype and not a ranger or even a thief?
>>
So I want to make a rogue archetype with "combat tricks" of some sort. Instead of some finite resource, I want to have it instead reduce your sneak attack damage if you choose to use it.

Is this a dumb idea?
>>
>>44801755
Make it based on Cunning Action instead. Almost all rogues are based on at-will resources like bonus actions and such.
>>
I can't access the PDFs from the link on my phone so could anyone tell me if the Bladesinger song is once per rest or long rest?
>>
>>44797164
> MM: Genies don't reproduce.
Genies don't have bloodlines. Fixed.
>>
>>44802086
Sorcerous origins aren't bloodlines. They can be, but not all of them--clearly, since Storm and Wild Magic sorcs aren't bloodlines at all.
>>
>>44802086
Yes and I'm sure wild magic reproduces.
And storms also have babies.

I don't even like the genie bloodline but come on.
>>
>>44802086

What if someone wished to have a genie's baby?

I'm sure the genie has fuckin' DNA, I'm sure it could magically splice something up and place it in a womb of some kind.
>>
>>44802134
>>44802155
Alright, actual thoughts:
Genies are notoriously jealous of their powers. It makes little sense that one would ever willingly empower a mortal being: in so doing, they make a potential rival out of a potential servant.

Thematically, I think genies would fit better as a Warlock pact. What with everyone talking about the potential for overlap/redundancy between DragonSorc and Genie Sorc, this could fill a currently unfilled niche.
>>
>>44802305
>I'm sure the genie has fuckin' DNA
>Implying a magical creature for an elemental dimension adheres to the same laws of physics we do
>Implying DNA even exists in D&D.
>>
>>44800488
how you do this is you play a paladin with tavern brawler and smite people with your fists.
>>
>>44801728
because rogue is the class and thief is the archetype, and the planet has collectively left ranger for dead
>>
>>44802599
why is ranger so shit?

it's like... it's not even a good IDEA for a class
>>
>>44802631
Ranger is a thing because Aragorn.
>>
>>44802458

>DNA
>Physics

Stop confusing your science schools scrub. Next you're gonna tell me that Magic Missile is a conjuration spell! Get your shit together!
>>
>>44802700
> Dorky sperg analogies

Stop.
>>
>>44802631
>it's not even a good IDEA for a class
Yeah, it's not like the frontiersman beating back the wilds so that civilization may flourish is iconic or anything.
>>
>>44802700
Nigga please. I have a theoretical degree in physics.
>>
>>44801203
To elaborate. I don't really see the purpose of having the distinction between them. Especially with yugoloths now being entirely out of place, and alignments hardly mattering in 5e. I'd rather they all just be fiends and be done with it, so you can mix and match at your leisure.
>>
>>44802739

>Being an uneducated yank

Oh wait that's all of you numb nuts.
>>
>>44802803
That's RP, not mechanics
>>
>>44802836
> biology is applied chemistry is applied physics

No, Britbong, you are the mongs.
>>
>>44802817
Devils LE from Baator, at war with demons
Demons CE from Abyss, at war with devils
Yugoloths NE from Gehenna, playing both sides of the war
>>
>>44802886
And if none of those planes exist in my campaign world at all? That there is no Blood War? It just provides a bloated solution to a problem they created.
>>
>>44802599

>thief is the archetype

derp, brainfart, sorry.
>>
>>44802927
Well if it's your campaign setting why even ask?
Elves can be a type of celestial for all anyone fucking cares.
>>
>>44802882

>He thinks I'm a bong

LMAO

So your ignorance is as deep as your prejudice, no surprise. Ain't even European.
>>
>>44802949
haha its okay.

i think gunslinger fits ok as a fighter archetype to the extent that it fits at all into 5e, as fighter is the very general combat man class.

i probably would of tried porting it to ranger to give rangers SOMETHING but even that only sort of makes sense.
>>
>>44802991
or maybe it would be better as a prestige class.
>>
>>44802857
Oh, OK.
>Fighters and Wizards only.
>>
>>44802980
I asked because i'm curious if others do the same, not using the assumed setting but instead as a toolkit for your own setting?

It's also why I don't like the direction they're taking the DMGuild. Things have to be written for Forgotten Realms, fuck Forgotten Realms it's bland and shit.
>>
>>44803022
>the mechanics expressed by the ranger aren't unique or inspired within the context of the core mechanical ideas of the other classes

Is that sufficient, or do I need to spell it out even simpler for your tiny, shitposting brain to understand it?
>>
>>44803036
Plenty of people mash them all together because they can't be asked to remember that shit. I personally like the different types of fiends.
>>
>>44803068
Poorly executed isn't the same as conceptually useless, Anon. If more DMs bothered to enforce rules pertaining to supplies and exploration, you'd kind of need at least one Ranger unless you never wanted to journey far from town.

But you're more interested in calling people shitposting retards than having a conversation, so: you win. Stroke one out; you've earned it.
>>
Ilmater is Jesus? Reads like it.
>>
Did the Ranger UA not improve anything?
>>
>>44803211
But with heavy masochistic undertones.
>>
>>44803247
Depends who you ask. Common complaints are that it's still bad, it's OP, or the flavor is stupid.

Basically, do what you want.
>>
>>44803268
Are there really, though? His archenemy is Loviatar, he only takes pain so that others do no suffer, not because he enjoys it. After all, you can't be a martyr by eating the greens at the table just because noone else likes them but you.
>>
>>44803268
>God of Endurance
>Must enjoy it!
>>
>>44803068
>Natural Explorer
>Favored Enemy
2 things no other class gets, right there. Relative power level compared to other classes aside, you're already wrong.
>>
Are the Durable and Tough feats ever worth taking? What if they were combined into a single feat?
>>
>>44804002
>>44803490
>literally god of "I want all the pain"
>implying masochists wouldn't worship him for a free pass at degeneracy.
>>
>>44804216
dont think so
>>
>>44804216

>Hm, these fetishist want to worship me?
>Alright, let me fix the problem in their brains and...there. What, they don't like the pain all of a sudden and don't want to worship me any more? What a bunch of heathens

Being a good god is a good thing.
>>
>>44804169
I think durable is okay, tough is always pretty much worse than +2 con. Because con helps with your saves, concentration, holding your breath, etc etc, and +2 hp is just... 1 hp more.

I mean it won't hurt, 8 hp at level 4 is nothing to sneeze at, but personally I'd just hit 20 con first.

Maybe after that, if you''re say for some reason only increasing constitution and not your attack stat or casting stat (rolled really well? just love HP?) it would be worth taking, but even then its probably better to get a different feat.

Single feat might be okay, or ironically too much...
>>
How does your group handle maps? Build shit, dry erase, or just talk it out?
>>
>>44804344
>+2 hp is just... 1 hp more.
Given that you also recalculate your HP max on a per-hit dice basis every time your con mod changes, Tough could potentially be even worse than +2 con at higher levels.
>>
File: 1433124661523.gif (1 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1433124661523.gif
1 MB, 448x252
>>44804216
>Masochists not worshiping the goddess of handing out pain left and right
>Tons of self-flagellation and immolation for her clerics themselves
>The world is filled with pain and torment, and the best that one can do is to suffer those blows that cannot be avoided and deal as much pain back to those who offend. Kindnesses are the best companions to hurts, and increase the intensity of suffering. Let mercy of sudden abstinence from causing pain and of providing unlooked-for healing come over you seldom, but at whim, so as to make folk hope and increase the Mystery of Loviatar's Mercy. Unswerving cruelty will turn all folk against you. Act alluring, and give pain and torment to those who enjoy it as well as to those who deserve it most or would be most hurt by it. The lash, fire, and cold are the three pains that never fail the devout. Spread Loviatar's teachings whenever punishment is meted out. Pain tests all, but gives strength of spirit and true pleasure to the hardy and the true. There is no true punishment if the punisher knows no discipline. Wherever a whip is, there is Loviatar. Fear her — and yet long for her.
>>
>>44804169
Durable is worthless, Tough is great
>>
>>44804425
You gain 2x your level HP when you take Tough and then +2hp per level afterwards.

Idiot.
>>
>>44804546

Hey, don't call him an idiot! Some people just don't read the book and have misconceptions of things! He's an ignoramus.
>>
>>44804421
I've seen dry erase maps and I've seen printed out maps. Dry erase seems to work best but it does take a fair bit of time to draw them if you don't predraw them. However it's hard to lay out printed maps properly and keep them flat.
>>
>>44804618
Could where I go to get to scale maps printed? I could just glue them to cardboard.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.