[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for a system to run this game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
So i tried posting this yesterday but it got no replies, I'm gonna chalk it up to low traffic. and change the logo.

So my buddies and i want to try running a game where the players go and hunt monsters and demons and all that fun stuff. sort of like a supernatural/mortal instruments love child.

but basically were looking for a system where we can be slightly super human, with magic, and kill monsters.

any suggestions?
>>
>>44751274
>looking for a system where we can be slightly super human, with magic, and kill monsters.

This is what this game is all about.

There's also a Supernatural RPG but it doesn't grant you superpowers.
>>
>>44751274
Hunter: The Vigil/Reckoning, take out all the WoD stuff if needed
>>
>>44751274
In addition to Hunter, there is also the old Bureau 13 game, and Chill. Goblinoid Games revamped Chill a couple of years back, calling it Cryptworld.

Vampire$ was pretty cool, before the d20 shit.
>>
>>44751274
Bro, I've got the supernatural RPG game.
Its OK.
Creative in some ways. But allowed us to use some local sights in game play. Which was sorta cool.
>>
>but basically were looking for a system where we can be slightly super human, with magic, and kill monsters.

Against The Darkness is what I'd recommend. It's got rules for possession and exorcism, demons, angels, sorcery, miracles, werewolves, vampires. Everybody can acquire powers based their favoured Ability score.

The cover makes it look totally like a DaVinci Code rpg, but it's good for a lot of folklore/theology/conspiracy stuff.
>>
GURPS Monster Hunters may also be worth looking at if WoD doesn't scratch that itch for whatever reason. Its a series of GURPS splats aimed at helping groups run that sort of game; suggested character builds called templates clock in at 400 points, so by default most PCs are stupidly competent and border on superhuman level of ability (not that means much when you're trying to clear out a vampire nest or take down a rogue smite-happy angel; shit's not easy even at that point value) and the splat does most of the work of narrowing down all the character options in GURPS to ones useful for that kind of game. There is also a pretty solid magic system that gets a lot of praise from GURPSfags, as well as psis, bioengineered experiments, and divinely empowered crusaders. Because GURPS is so toolbox-y, though, you can freely ditch any of those elements if you don't want them. I'm also a fan of the investigation rules, but that's not really a huge selling point to most people.
>>
>O/N WoD

It actually worked pretty damn well; we played it for almost 3 years. I had the only character that didn't die, mostly due to the GM not wanting him to.
>>
>>44751274
There is actually a Supernatural RPG, you know. It has several supplements and everything.

But if you want something that's got current support or doesn't use Cortex Classic, I could recommend Monster of the Week, a "Powered by the Apocalypse" game that is intentionally designed to represent stuff like Supernatural, Buffy, Angel, Lost Girl, and the like.
>>
>>44752705

This. Monster of the Week is pretty cool.

>dat luck mechanic
>>
>>44752264
>>44751450
>>44751492
>>44751694

> Playing World of Darkness unironically

Next time I want to spend forever rolling a shitload of d10s in a system that is difficult to mathematically analyze, I'll consider it. Not to mention the way Defense works you've got a really good chance of hitting someone with a gun when you shoot it but only a small chance of killing them in one shot. I really dislike WoD, it has all the weaknesses of dice pool and none of the strengths. Play GURPS or maybe Call of Cthulu but for fucks sake please not another World of Darkness drone.
>>
>>44753038

Thirding the Monster of the Week recommendation.
>>
>>44753091
Hey, you can have fun your way, and I'll be over here having fun my way.
>>
>>44752149
I'd recommend GURPS or Dresden Files, depending on your personal preference. The latter's Fate/FUDGE base makes it pretty much infinitely tweakable, just like GURPS
>>
>>44751274
J.C Carella's Witchcraft Works and the Buffy RPG (same system).
>>
>>44754934
No.
You shall have fun MY way, else you're doing it wrong and I hate you.
>>
>>44753091
You know it's really difficult to kill someone in one gunshot, right?
>>
>>44755322

no i usually kill people in one shot from my train mounted railgun, its still a gunshot.

its all relative
>>
>>44755322

>You know it's really difficult to kill someone in one gunshot, right?

No it isn't you fucking moron.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.