[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dodging Bullets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
What are some systems in which your avarage guy CAN'T actually dodge a bullet?

A system in which the attacker tests his own ability to aim and shoot instead of putting it against some abstract "dodge" value?

It really irks me in some games when someone simply dodges a really good ranged roll. It pulls me right out of the game, and even the DM has a hard time trying to narrate what exactly happened without sounding silly ("He ducks just in time" is an absolutely ridiculous scene in a serious game).
>>
I think Cyberpunk 2020 is the only system I've played in which the defender didn't get some sort of reaction or AC.
>>
>>44700976
Shadowrun has armour and such take place after the attack has hit. Although in the game it is possible to make cybernetic characters and adepts who can literally dodge bullets, but that makes more sense based on their ability.
>>
>>44700976
People aren't actually dodging the bullet you stupid fuck.

Defense or Dodge or whatever is just the person's ability to juke and jive. They're not avoiding the actual bullet Matrix style, they're just doing what they can to avoid being where the gun's pointing when you pull the trigger.
>>
>>44701775

>they're not literally dodging the bullet

>they're just literally dodging the bullet

You can phrase it whoever you want, it's the same. You don't simply "juke and jive" from someone shooting at you. You take cover and keep your head down.
>>
>>44701627

Shadowrun still has the defender roll intuiton + reaction to defend against ranged attacks, at least in the 5th edition.

Are the older editions different?
>>
>>44700976
nWod/CofD, I guess.
Humans can't Dodge firearms unless they use some sort of supernatural ability.

Though in most settings I'd imagine it's less about dodging, and more about being a difficult target, so they can't get a bead on you.
>>
>>44701880
Cover can make getting shot nearly impossible. Juking and jiving can make getting shot kind of difficult.

It's harder to hit an erratically moving target, so if you're a target, move erratically. Obviously you can still get shot, but the more difficult of a target you are, the more likely you'll be able to make it to cover.
>>
>>44701880
You run serpentine. Easy.
>>
>>44701880
They're not dodging the shot, they're dodging the shooter.
>>
>>44701952

The thing is this is a turn based game. What you're saying would make sense if the character was using a "move erratically" action for the entire round, giving some kind of negative bonus to anyone trying to shoot at him or her.

When you roll to defend against a specific attack made against you , outside of your turn, that is lasting in in-game time about a split second, you're dodging a bullet.

>>44701991

Except that doesn't make any sense. Unless you have super human abilities, you simply don't do that in a firefight. I'm not talking about super cinematic games either, I'm talking "supposedly" simulationist games like GURPS and Shadowrun. I like how Dark heresy does it though: you get one single reaction for the round, and that's it. That fits more with what you're saying, the character is making a move that lasts an entire round, and not a split-second turn, to try and avoid an attack.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.